+ Reply to Thread
Page 151 of 431 FirstFirst 1 51 101 141 151 161 201 251 431 LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 8616

Thread: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

1. Link to Post #3001
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 times in 765 posts

Default Re: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

Welcome Krystar.

Question to all:
    A friend asked me about meditation, if a beginner asked you what would you suggest? maybe a guided meditation? post some ideas.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Post:

Skyhaven (6th September 2014)

3. Link to Post #3002
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Yes welcome to Krystar.
    Meditation for me is just close the eyes and not follow any thoughts that come up---they get quiet when they are not given the energy of attention.
    The Mooji meditation recently posted is good.
    No harm in going in at the deep end and its not too long.

Best wishes
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

blotter (6th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (5th September 2014), Heart-2-Heart (5th September 2014), Rich (5th September 2014), Skyhaven (6th September 2014), Wind (5th September 2014)

5. Link to Post #3003
    Thanks

Thanks Chris very useful.
    Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Meditation for me is just close the eyes and not follow any thoughts that come up---they get quiet when they are not given the energy of attention.
    I think that's good, simple, practical without need for a belief.

Quote The Mooji meditation recently posted is good.
    Yes, I listened to bit just now, I think guided med is good for beginners because they are somewhat entertaining/interesting for the mind too. You wont get easily lost in a train of thought because you have something to focus on.

Quote No harm in going in at the deep end and its not too long.
    What do you mean?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Post:

greybeard (5th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (20th September 2014), Skyhaven (6th September 2014)

7. Link to Post #3004
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by EmEx (here)
    Thanks Chris very useful.

I think that's good, simple, practical without need for a belief.

Quote The Mooji meditation recently posted is good.
    Yes, I listened to bit just now, I think guided med is good for beginners because they are somewhat entertaining/interesting for the mind too. You wont get easily lost in a train of thought because you have something to focus on.

Quote No harm in going in at the deep end and its not too long.
    What do you mean?
    With Mooji you are getting absolute Truth and that can be hard for some to accept.
    Absolute Truth being, there is no one else (a separate person)---there is only One without a second and you are that.
    Eckhart Tolle tends to meet people where they are spiritually but then will say things like "There never was any one there to do anything to you" also statements like " You are the field in which everything arises and subsides"

Chris

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

blotter (6th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (5th September 2014), Heart-2-Heart (5th September 2014), iamthat (17th September 2014), Rich (5th September 2014), Skyhaven (6th September 2014), Sunny-side-up (16th September 2014), Wind (5th September 2014)

9. Link to Post #3005
    United States Avalon Member Grizz Griswold's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 times in 288 posts

Yes welcome to Krystar.
    The Mooji meditation recently posted is good.
    No harm in going in at the deep end and its not too long.

Best wishes
    Chris
    Some people have trouble with too many thoughts when starting meditation.

Sometimes it helps to picture those thoughts as being leaves gently blown around by the wind.

That way there is no energy given to them.

barry

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grizz Griswold For This Post:

blotter (6th September 2014), GarethBKK (8th September 2014), greybeard (8th September 2014), Skyhaven (6th September 2014), Wind (5th September 2014)

11. Link to Post #3006
    Australia Avalon Retired Member KaiLee's Avatar
    Thanks

I started with relaxation methods first. Look up guided relaxation. I think this can be useful because it teaches you to concentrate on your body. Your breathing, perhaps the feeling of not feeling body parts as they become more and more relaxed. I would also recommend learning how to practise mindfulness. Learning how to direct your mind to the Now might be really useful. After you've learned relaxation and mindfulness you an then guide your own meditation.
    Last edited by KaiLee; 5th September 2014 at 20:59. Reason: Correct typonese for clarity

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KaiLee For This Post:

blotter (6th September 2014), GarethBKK (8th September 2014), greybeard (5th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (6th September 2014), Rich (5th September 2014), Skyhaven (6th September 2014)

13. Link to Post #3007
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

The Quest of the divine soul has become his pole star. It was natural for him to feel repelled at first by the idea of overcoming the ego but now he sees its desirability. This will not mean giving it up in practical life however; for while he is in the flesh the ideal is to find a proper balance between egoism and altruism because he needs both…

- Paul Brunton
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

blotter (6th September 2014), GarethBKK (8th September 2014), greybeard (5th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (6th September 2014), Heart-2-Heart (6th September 2014), Skyhaven (8th September 2014)

15. Link to Post #3008
    Language
    English
    Thanks

If freedom is your Heart's desire,
    say YES to Truth without hesitation or compromise.

Say to the Lord of the heart: Replace 'me' with You.
    Rid me of ego and merge my mind in You.
    If there is identity, replace this identity with Truth.
    Let there be only Oneness here.
    Dispel any arrogance, any ego and let me melt in You,
    beloved Lord of my Heart.

This Yes is very, very powerful when it comes from the Heart itself.
    It comes from the Heart and goes straight to the Heart
    and sets off a time bomb in the earth-bound mind.

This Yes without compromise is the divine Grace that comes
    to guide you back to your original innocence,
    to your timeless and limitless Being.

Mooji
    Last edited by greybeard; 6th September 2014 at 08:24.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

blotter (6th September 2014), GarethBKK (8th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (6th September 2014), Heart-2-Heart (6th September 2014), Skyhaven (6th September 2014), Wind (6th September 2014)

17. Link to Post #3009
    Thanks

The mind wants you to do something to be free.

But you are already free, not as a person but as the presence, the intuition-I am.

Mind sets up one trip after another, apparently in search of the real.

It is saying: you are ever so near the goal, only strive a little harder, a while longer... soon, you will come to the seek.
    But the one who is Self-aware knows: All this is nonsense. I am here.

What need I do to be what I already am?

~ Mooji
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

blotter (8th September 2014), GarethBKK (8th September 2014), greybeard (7th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (7th September 2014), Rich (7th September 2014), Skyhaven (7th September 2014)

19. Link to Post #3010
    Wales Avalon Member
    Thanks

Peace is the natural state. If peace isn't the experience, then there is disturbance. Think of the still pool of clear water, and then something stirs up the sediment. So, where is the disturbance coming from? Language for one. Try telling the brain that it no longer has language. Sit enjoying the experience of all of this without any words. No labels assigned to anything. No chatter going on inside the head. No stories being created. A simple letting go of tension. There is only this. All of it. This has no boundaries. This is it. This is peace. The water is still and clear again.

I wonder what terror the first humans to have a wordy thoughts must have felt.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GarethBKK For This Post:

blotter (12th September 2014), greybeard (8th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (8th September 2014), Rich (8th September 2014), Skyhaven (8th September 2014), Wind (8th September 2014)

21. Link to Post #3011
    Wales Avalon Member
    Thanks

This morning I wondered into the garden and saw a taxi driver peeing against the hedge. Immediately, words arose inside the head: 'dirty', 'disgusting', 'he shouldn't be doing that', this is wrong'. Then something made me stop generating words, and an internal conversation took over.

"Where are these words coming from?"
    "From an idea that there is a separate me, who owns that hedge, finds this moment 'wrong', and somehow thinks there needs to be a different this."
    "Are the words disturbing the sediment and making the waters muddy?"
    "Yes"
    "Can you find a separate you?"
    "No"
    "Is there a different this?"
    "No"
    "Is this accepted now?"
    "Yes"
    "Can you let the words go and let the water become still, with the sediment slowly falling to the bottom?"
    "Yes. Peace is here. I am back where I was before the words arose."

Oh to be a child without words! Without words there is simply this. All of it.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GarethBKK For This Post:

blotter (12th September 2014), greybeard (9th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (9th September 2014), Rich (9th September 2014), Skyhaven (9th September 2014), Wind (9th September 2014)

23. Link to Post #3012
    Thanks

"What controls the course of our lives? Fate is something which descends on us from outside ourselves and to which we have made no visible contribution--as in the death of a beloved one. Destiny is something which arises out of our own causation."

"We have free will to change our character, but we must also call upon God's assistance. We are likely to fail without it and it is possible by striving too earnestly all alone to make ourselves mentally or physically ill. We should Pray and ask for God's help even when trying to make ourselves have faith in a Higher Power as well as in ourselves." - Paul Brunton

If the truth is real and infinite,
    it must always be real and always be infinite.
    If it is infinite it means that it is here now, ever present.

You must BE the thing that you are searching for.
    What you are searching for is timeless and it is timelessly here, timelessly present.

~ Mooji

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

blotter (12th September 2014), GarethBKK (12th September 2014), greybeard (10th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (9th September 2014), Rich (9th September 2014), Skyhaven (9th September 2014)

25. Link to Post #3013
    Thanks

Grace sometimes touches life in such a way that one's whole being is set on fire in such a powerful way that one becomes filled with a confidence and urge to throw one's whole existence into the abyss of the Self.

You may find yourself saying, 'Remove everything. Save nothing. Remove every falsehood from my being.'

Then everything is thrown aside, including one's self, the 'thrower'. Unexpectedly, one finds a sense of great unburdening, a completeness, peace and quiet joy within one's heart. Now there remains an effortless silence and stillness. And it’s not that there remains an 'I' that received this. There is nobody to receive.

Inside one's being, one quietly knows: ‘I am neither a “receiver” nor a “giver”. I am no one.' And yet, one finds oneself saying, 'Thank you, Beloved.'

~ Mooji

"The way to be admitted to the Overself's presence can be summed up in a single phrase: love it. Not by breathing in very hard nor by blowing out very slow, not by standing on the head nor by contorting like a frog can admission be gained. Not even by long study of things divine nor by acute analysis of them. But let the love come first, let it inspire the breathing, blowing, standing, or contorting, let it draw to the study and drive to the thinking, and then these methods will become really fruitful."

"Out of the grand mystery of the Overself, the first communication we receive telling us of and making us feel its existence, is Grace."

- Paul Brunton

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

GarethBKK (12th September 2014), greybeard (11th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (11th September 2014), Skyhaven (11th September 2014)

27. Link to Post #3014
    Thanks

"The devotional element belongs as much to this quest as to any other. Adoration of the divine soul and humility in the divine presence are two necessary qualities which the quester ought to develop. The first is expressed through meditation and the second through prayer."

"When we keep ourselves busy with everything external and our minds with thoughts about everything external, the intuition is unable to insert itself into our awareness. Even if it whispers to us, we will not realize what is happening. If we continue to ignore it, we may lose the capacity to hear it at all. It is then that we have to retrain ourselves to do so. The practice of meditation is one such way of training our receptivity." - Paul Brunton

Gangaji has released several new videos, I won't post them all at once here.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

blotter (13th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (12th September 2014), Skyhaven (12th September 2014)

29. Link to Post #3015
    Thanks

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

blotter (13th September 2014), greybeard (12th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (12th September 2014), Skyhaven (12th September 2014)

31. Link to Post #3016
    Thanks

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

greybeard (13th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (12th September 2014), Skyhaven (12th September 2014)

33. Link to Post #3017
    Netherlands Avalon Member Skyhaven's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,373 times in 1,056 posts

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

greybeard (13th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (13th September 2014), Heart-2-Heart (13th September 2014), Wind (13th September 2014)

35. Link to Post #3018
    Thanks

Sometimes God challenges you to find strength you don’t have.
    Only like this will you go beyond your imagined limits.
    You must be pushed so far that you are forced to be humble.
    Only then, when your pride and arrogance are crushed,
    will you discover muscles that are not yours. You will find and use the muscles of God.

When you completely abandon yourself, your ego, this miracle becomes possible.

~ Mooji

The aim of the mystic is to know what he is, apart from his physical body, his lower emotion, his personal ego; it is to know his inner-most self. When this aim is successfully realized, he knows then with perfect certitude that he is a ray of the divine sun.

"Think of yourself as the individual and you are sure to die; think of yourself as the universal and you enter deathlessness, for the universal is always and eternally there. We know no beginning and no ending to the cosmic process. Its being IS: we can say no more. Be that rather than this--that which is as infinite and homeless as space, that which is timeless and unbroken. Take the whole of life as your own being. Do not divorce, do not separate yourself from it. It is the hardest of tasks for it demands that we see our own relative insignificance amid this infinite and vast process. The change that is needed is entirely a mental one. Change your outlook and with it "heaven will be added unto you." - Paul Brunton

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

greybeard (13th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (13th September 2014), Skyhaven (13th September 2014)

37. Link to Post #3019
    Netherlands Avalon Member Skyhaven's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,373 times in 1,056 posts

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

greybeard (16th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (20th September 2014), Sunny-side-up (16th September 2014), Wind (16th September 2014)

39. Link to Post #3020
    Thanks

Questioner: My question is, how do we fully let go of fear and embrace self love?

Bashar: By discovering how it is that the fear serves you in your belief system.
    In other words, you don't hold on to a negative belief if you don't believe that it serves you
    somehow in a ''positive'' way. Or at least what you believe to be a positive way.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Post:

blotter (18th September 2014), greybeard (16th September 2014), Grizz Griswold (17th September 2014), Skyhaven (16th September 2014), Wind (16th September 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 151 of 431 FirstFirst 1 51 101 141 151 161 201 251 431 LastLast