+ Reply to Thread
Page 164 of 431 FirstFirst 1 64 114 154 164 174 214 264 431 LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,280 of 8616

Thread: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

1. Link to Post #3261
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 times in 1,583 posts

Default Re: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

greybeard (23rd January 2015), gripreaper (24th January 2015), Grizz Griswold (23rd January 2015), Meggings (23rd January 2015), Shadowman (27th January 2015), Wind (24th January 2015)

3. Link to Post #3262
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,273 times in 1,132 posts

Thank you for the Alan Watts video above, Guish.
    It took me back to the 1960's when I discovered, bought, was thrilled by, his small book on the taboo against knowing who you are.
    I had never heard his voice before, nor seen his face, but in this short 4-minute video above he speaks of things contemplated during quiet moments.
    It is excellent, and viewing your video has lifted my spirits.
    It has reminded me of "I am a verb. I am not a noun."
    Much obliged.
    Last edited by Meggings; 23rd January 2015 at 22:15.

4. Link to Post #3263
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Meggings (here)
    Thank you for the Alan Watts video above, Guish.
    It took me back to the 1960's when I discovered, bought, was thrilled by, his small book on the taboo against knowing who you are.
    I had never heard his voice before, nor seen his face, but in this short 4-minute video above he speaks of things contemplated during quiet moments.
    It is excellent, and viewing your video has lifted my spirits.
    It has reminded me of "I am a verb. I am not a noun."
    Much obliged.
    Very happy for you. Watts continues to be influential. I have 18-19 year old students who still discuss about him with me. I need a lift myself right now. I have a 40 degrees fever and very painful body.

Love,
    Cheers,
    Guish

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

greybeard (24th January 2015), Grizz Griswold (24th January 2015), Shadowman (27th January 2015), Wind (24th January 2015)

6. Link to Post #3264
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Wishing you a speedy recovery to good health Guish
    Much love
    c
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Aspen (31st January 2015), fourty-two (31st January 2015), Grizz Griswold (24th January 2015), Guish (24th January 2015), Shadowman (27th January 2015), Wind (24th January 2015)

8. Link to Post #3265
    Thanks

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Wishing you a speedy recovery to good health Guish
    Much love
    c

Much better Chris. Sid, my son, seems to have got the fever now.

Cheers,
    Geerish.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

greybeard (24th January 2015), Grizz Griswold (25th January 2015), Shadowman (27th January 2015)

10. Link to Post #3266
    Thanks

No attachment

Kitano Gempo, abbot of Eihei temple, was ninety-two years old when he passed away in the year 1933. He endeavored his whole life not to be attached to anything. As a wandering mendicant when he was twenty he happened to meet a traveler who smoked tobacco. As they walked together down a mountain road, they stopped under a tree to rest. The traveler offered Kitano a smoke, which he accepted, as he was very hungry at the time.

“How pleasant this smoking is,” he commented. The other gave him an extra pipe and tobacco and they parted.

Kitano felt: “Such pleasant things may disturb meditation. Before this goes too far, I will stop now.” So he threw the smoking outfit away.

When he was twenty-three years old he studied I-King, the profoundest doctrine of the universe. It was winter at the time and he needed some heavy clothes. He wrote his teacher, who lived a hundred miles away, telling him of his need, and gave the letter to a traveler to deliver. Almost the whole winter passed and neither answer nor clothes arrived. So Kitano resorted to the prescience of I-King, which also teaches the art of divination, to determine whether or not his letter had miscarried. He found that this had been the case. A letter afterwards from his teacher made no mention of clothes.

“If I perform such accurate determinative work with I-King, I may neglect my meditation,” felt Kitano. So he gave up this marvelous teaching and never resorted to its powers again.

When he was twenty-eight he studied Chinese calligraphy and poetry. He grew so skillful in these arts that his teacher praised him. Kitano mused: “If I don’t stop now, I’ll be a poet, not a Zen teacher.” So he never wrote another poem.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

greybeard (24th January 2015), Grizz Griswold (25th January 2015), Philaletheian (24th January 2015), Shadowman (27th January 2015), Wind (24th January 2015)

12. Link to Post #3267
    Saint Lucia Avalon Member Philaletheian's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I am currently reading the aforementioned book of Alan Watts, really amazing stuff, and the equally good video of the same posted by Guish, prompted me to search for more of his videos and found some amazing lectures!
    Thanx All

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Philaletheian For This Post:

greybeard (24th January 2015), Grizz Griswold (25th January 2015), Guish (24th January 2015), Shadowman (27th January 2015), Wind (24th January 2015)

14. Link to Post #3268
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

"It will not be until a late stage that he will wake up to the realization that the real giver of Grace, the real helper along this path, the real master is not the incarnated master outside but the Overself inside his own heart. What the living master does for him is only to arouse his sleeping intuition and awaken his latent aspiration, to give him the initial impetus and starting guidance on the new quest, to point out the obstructions to advancement in his individual character and to help him deal with them."

~ Paul Brunton

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Aspen (31st January 2015), greybeard (24th January 2015), Grizz Griswold (25th January 2015), Guish (24th January 2015), Philaletheian (26th January 2015), Shadowman (27th January 2015)

16. Link to Post #3269
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wind (here)
    "It will not be until a late stage that he will wake up to the realization that the real giver of Grace, the real helper along this path, the real master is not the incarnated master outside but the Overself inside his own heart. What the living master does for him is only to arouse his sleeping intuition and awaken his latent aspiration, to give him the initial impetus and starting guidance on the new quest, to point out the obstructions to advancement in his individual character and to help him deal with them."

~ Paul Brunton

Didn't Buddha always say not to agree with me if what I say doesn't make sense to you. He wasn't forcing opinions on others. He explained concepts and let others explore the concepts through practice. When I personally decided to let go of my ego, things changed suddenly. Those who had relationship problems with me became gentle, those who backstabbed me in the past, came close and seeked help. The past never existed. I couldn't even recall what happened. I can say that people operate at different spiritual levels. When one inflicts pain, it's out of ignorance of the spiritual side of beings. People are fed with rules, identity, religious norms and so on. Frustrated people do themselves more harm than the people they are insulting. Can someone really insult you if it doesn't shatter your inner peace? Mountains don't move when the wind blows.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

greybeard (24th January 2015), Philaletheian (26th January 2015), Shadowman (27th January 2015), Wind (24th January 2015)

18. Link to Post #3270
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Nassim Haramein interviewed by Dr. Paul Drouin on the principles of unified field theory, quantum gravity, consciousness studies, energy, and their far-reaching implications that unify the fields of both biology and physics.

During this two-hour event with Nassim Haramein, we will explore questions such as: What is the construction of the universe? What is mind-consciousness? What are the mechanics in which self-awareness occurs? What new energy source can we explore? What is the new unified field theory."

Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Aspen (31st January 2015), Grizz Griswold (25th January 2015), Guish (26th January 2015), Philaletheian (26th January 2015), Shadowman (27th January 2015), Wind (26th January 2015)

20. Link to Post #3271
    Thanks

You can be the poorest man in terms of material wealth
    and yet be a champion of the spirit in this life.
    In ancient times, it is said, even kings and emperors
    would bow down at the feet of an illiterate sage.
    Illiterate means unlearned, uneducated.
    Now, a king doesn't bow down to anybody except God,
    so he must be at least wise enough to know whose feet he is bowing down to,
    or be compelled by some power to put his head at the sage's feet.
    Human beings search for greatness based upon human concepts, conditioning and achievements.

A sage may have nothing. He is empty,
    but the force of his mere presence alone will draw those to him who have even a spark of attraction to the Supreme.
    The sage doesn't point you to university
    —he pulls you into the Universal Heart.

~ Mooji

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Aspen (31st January 2015), Baby Steps (31st January 2015), GarethBKK (1st February 2015), greybeard (26th January 2015), Grizz Griswold (26th January 2015), Guish (26th January 2015), Heart-2-Heart (26th January 2015), Philaletheian (29th January 2015), Shadowman (27th January 2015)

22. Link to Post #3272
    Thanks

We are like an onion with layers. Spiritual practice peels out the layers. A point is reached where one realizes that there are no layers to peel off. Vast emptiness which is undefined is experienced. In this state, no thinking is needed. One flows like the river, breathes together with the wind.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

Aspen (31st January 2015), Baby Steps (31st January 2015), GarethBKK (1st February 2015), greybeard (26th January 2015), Shadowman (27th January 2015), Wind (26th January 2015)

24. Link to Post #3273
    United States Avalon Member Grizz Griswold's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 times in 288 posts

Here is one of my favorite quotes.

"Once you realize universal emptiness, all objects are spontaneously penetrated: integrating the world and beyond, it contains all states of being within. If you lose the essence, there is nothing after all; if you attain the function, there is spiritual effect. The genuine path of unminding is not a religion for the immature".
    -Fen yang

Namaste
    b

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Grizz Griswold For This Post:

GarethBKK (1st February 2015), greybeard (26th January 2015), Guish (27th January 2015), Heart-2-Heart (26th January 2015), Shadowman (27th January 2015), Wind (26th January 2015)

26. Link to Post #3274
    Thanks

"We are living in wonderfully momentous times and it is the task of those on the Path to become bearers of the light in a dark age. But first, before that can be, each one must purify, ennoble, and instruct himself. He must fit himself for the divine grace because nothing can be done by his own personal power."

"Fascinated by the utter beauty of a fiery sunset, held and hypnotized by it, the turning away merely to continue a piece of work, to eat a meal or to go out on some business seems reprehensible sacrilege. And perhaps it is. It is in such moments that a glimpse of God's presence becomes possible. For the consciousness is carried outside the ego, desire is diverted to savouring the mysterious stillness, and thought's constant labour is subdued or, if good luck prevails, even suspended."

... Grace is the final, glorious, and authentic proof that it is not only man that is seeking God, but also God that is ever waiting for man…

- Paul Brunton

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Aspen (31st January 2015), GarethBKK (1st February 2015), greybeard (26th January 2015), Grizz Griswold (27th January 2015), Guish (27th January 2015), Heart-2-Heart (27th January 2015), Shadowman (27th January 2015)

28. Link to Post #3275
    Thanks

You say you cannot find the Truth,
    but who are you, who can't find it?
    The you who cannot find it, is not the true you.
    When this you is lost, you find you are the Truth you seek.

~ Mooji

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Baby Steps (31st January 2015), Grizz Griswold (31st January 2015), Heart-2-Heart (31st January 2015)

30. Link to Post #3276
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wind (here)
    You say you cannot find the Truth,
    but who are you, who can't find it?
    The you who cannot find it, is not the true you.
    When this you is lost, you find you are the Truth you seek.

~ Mooji
    I love this.

Once you realised that you're nothing and everything at the same time, thinking stops, being starts.

Love,
    Guish.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

greybeard (30th January 2015), Grizz Griswold (31st January 2015), Meggings (30th January 2015), Wind (30th January 2015)

32. Link to Post #3277
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks

"Once you realised that you're nothing and everything at the same time, thinking stops, being starts." - Guish

Glancing at the above sentence as I was passing through Avalon, I suddenly realized I've never arrived at "no thought" THROUGH thought.
    Moments or minutes or hours of "stopped thinking" arise from the rising up pause when divine currents reach down and touch me.

Now I see why I was never drawn to the question "Who am I?", despite enjoying Ramana Maharshi, for that requires thinking and I'd far rather not think. I like "falling upward" and touching on what I call "the Father". Often I find divinity flowing through my arms into the action - walking across the floor, making coffee, doing household tasks. Sometimes it seems this is Christ becoming me.

33. Link to Post #3278
    Thanks

Quite true, Meg. In zazen, the breath slows down and bliss lies between the two breaths (between inhalation and exhalation). I do get moments of complete bliss like you described. They are very random. I guess Buddha was in that state completely when he reached enlightenment.

Hugs and love,
    Guish.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

greybeard (31st January 2015), Grizz Griswold (31st January 2015), Heart-2-Heart (31st January 2015), Wind (1st February 2015)

35. Link to Post #3279
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks

Thanks for the nice video above, Guish. It has arresting thoughts in it:

If you put your mind on the enemy movement, your mind will be taken by the enemy movement.
    If you put your mind on the enemy sword, your mind will be taken by the enemy sword.
    If you put your mind on trying to cut the enemy, your mind will be taken by trying to cut.
    If you put your mind on trying not to be cut, your mind will be taken by trying not to be cut.

There is no place to put your mind on.
    Keep your mind not taken by anything.
    The unperturbed mind, even in case of being in mud, that is “no mind”.

Do we assume "mind" here equates to "thought"?
    I've never tried to define MIND, CONSCIOUSNESS, and AWARENESS, yet see it might have value.

Has anyone here given thought to how these three conditions might be defined, and thus used with clarity?

36. Link to Post #3280
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Meggings (here)
    Do we assume "mind" here equates to "thought"?
    I've never tried to define MIND, CONSCIOUSNESS, and AWARENESS, yet see it might have value.

Has anyone here given thought to how these three conditions might be defined, and thus used with clarity?

Yes. Mind is the process of thinking or mental confusion in some cases. In the Vedas, it's mentioned that as the mind is made still, just like water in a pond becomes still, one can see the depth of water. In our case, one can see our true self which is in fact empty, yet beautiful.

In this state, one helps a person without feeling good. One eats just to survive. One no longer thinks of one's self as one has understood it's the ego which differentiates oneself from others. So my dear Meg, you can see that no- mind leads to an awareness that we are not the ego, an awareness that caring for others and being selfless is the way. One simply doesn't think of doing good for karmic reasons. It's just the way it is. It's as if one is guided by something divine as the mind is not directing the actions. Such a state is described as a shift in consciousness in spirituality.

Hugs and love,
    G

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

GarethBKK (1st February 2015), greybeard (1st February 2015), Wind (1st February 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 164 of 431 FirstFirst 1 64 114 154 164 174 214 264 431 LastLast