+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 431 FirstFirst 1 2 12 52 102 431 LastLast

Thread: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks

Default Re: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

The ego is a necessary part of human experience. Without it, we would have no point of reference in physical reality, no means of locating ourselves in space-time. It is a vital element that keeps us in the body, and allows us to participate in this unique experience of density.
    I do believe that transcending the ego is key, not to escape it, but temporarily loosen it's hold on our consciousness so that we may experience ourselves in full manifestation, and put the ego in its proper place so that it works for us instead of us working for it.

My preferred methods of achieving such a state of ego-loss is meditation, pranayama, fasting, and psychedelic compounds. Sometimes individually, and sometimes different combinations of them all.
    In Lak'ech Ala K'in

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Solphilos For This Post:

Anka (30th November 2019), Lotse (1st December 2012), Rich (27th March 2013), soleil (9th November 2013)

3. Link to Post #22
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,858 times in 11,838 posts

Quote Posted by Vidya Moksha (here)
    I quite agree about the higher self, i never mentioned that in my post.. isnt that separate from ego and mind? i always thought so. And we have many guides besides our higher selves, that much i know.

consciousness is always evolving. every day is a new day. no need to rename species yet i dont think
    Hi Vidya
    Yes Higher self is mindless, The Self remains after death of the ego, mind, does not. Buddhists call this no-mind
    Self is totally aware without the need for mind. Time is not necessary either and that is beyond my understanding.
    No doubt there are Guardian Angels, and Guides.
    thanks for posting here.
    Chris

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (30th November 2019), Crazy Louie (1st September 2013)

5. Link to Post #23
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hi Solphios
    Depens how far you want to go and what you mean by ego.
    Enlightenment is without doubt an egoless state as testified by sages.
    Taming ego is a massive step forward and well worthwhile.
    Higher Self actually does much which the ego likes to claim authorship of.
    That still quiet voice that remind you of something you forgut is Higher, noisy accusing is ego.
    With me its surrender, gratitude, mantra and meditation.
    What is also very helpful is to sit on a seat in the park and watch nature, easiest is ducks, just watch without nming or comment, that is hard at first but eventually you can be enthralled sitting there in silence without a though in the head.
    Thanks for your comments
    Chis

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (30th November 2019), Belle (14th February 2011), Crazy Louie (1st September 2013)

7. Link to Post #24
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lucid Jia (here)
    Good to see this thread over here. I very much enjoyed the original. Thanks Greybeard.

“It is the nature of the ego to take, and the nature of the spirit to share.”

Nmaste, Jia.
    Thanks for your kind comment my Lucid friend.
    May we share in spirit
    Ch

8. Link to Post #25
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

My view of the ego in this universe is that the ego is not me but separated from me. I am me and that is all that I am. The ego is according to me a energy that always is some or alot out of balance. The I am as a reference point in this universe is always in balance and therefore also in balance with my spirit that has the ability to reach out beyond this universe. It is when I in my body attract unbalanced energy and wow this together in my physical body that a very confusing energy arrives in my body energy system.

When I then hold the I am energy in my body and all of a sudden also have a unaligned egobased energy arriving in my thinking field, it is then that confusion arrives. All of a sudden what was one very balance energy no long is.

Where does this ego energy arise from? How is it created? What does it feed of? And why is it so hard to even understand that the I am and the ego actually does not match?

This is of course the deepend understanding that starts to become more prescent within a person when this subject lands in a persons conscious mind.

To internmingle the I am and the ego of course creates a very energy intensive soup called life. This is one way of living but this is not the only way of living. How does one live a life separated from an unbalanced and always out of alignment energy called ego?

What comes to your mind around these question, feel free to develop my question.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allhealing For This Post:

Crazy Louie (1st September 2013), Grizz Griswold (17th October 2015)

10. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Hi Solphios
    Depens how far you want to go and what you mean by ego.
    Enlightenment is without doubt an egoless state as testified by sages.
    Taming ego is a massive step forward and well worthwhile.
    Higher Self actually does much which the ego likes to claim authorship of.
    That still quiet voice that remind you of something you forgut is Higher, noisy accusing is ego.
    With me its surrender, gratitude, mantra and meditation.
    What is also very helpful is to sit on a seat in the park and watch nature, easiest is ducks, just watch without nming or comment, that is hard at first but eventually you can be enthralled sitting there in silence without a though in the head.
    Thanks for your comments
    Chis
    I think we are in full agreement here. Your expression seems to have more of an Eastern flavor, while mine is coming from a Hermetic background. Different tastes, yet one and the same!
    I quite enjoy hearing different takes on such things from people with varying backgrounds, worldviews, philosophies and experience. Sometimes drastically different approaches, yet often the same results.
    Thanks mate.
    In Lak'ech Ala K'in

11. Link to Post #27
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Solphilos (here)
    I think we are in full agreement here. Your expression seems to have more of an Eastern flavor, while mine is coming from a Hermetic background. Different tastes, yet one and the same!
    I quite enjoy hearing different takes on such things from people with varying backgrounds, worldviews, philosophies and experience. Sometimes drastically different approaches, yet often the same results.
    Thanks mate.
    Yes Solpilos
    I think it is good to have the eastern and western, modern and ancient, input as a cross check
    Its all the same really just different ways of approaching it.
    Eckhart Toll in "The Power of Now" likens part of the ego as a "painbody" it attracts drama, it pushes peoples butons to get dramatic energy responses
    Its like it feeds on the energy of the outburst of others.
    Thanks for your contributions that how we learn and grow together.
    Chris

12. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Crazy Louie (1st September 2013)

13. Link to Post #28
    Language
    English
    Thanks

One of the most helpful things I learned is.

"I don't have to be right"

There is tremendous freedom in this.
    I can just be.
    I dont have to take up a position on anything.
    Of course I have opinions and preferences but nothing is set in concrete.
    I don't actually mind what happens.
    From past experience I have seen that when I get my own way (ego) it can be disastrous.
    In alignment things just happen for the best effortlessly.
    Chris
    Namaste
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (30th November 2019), astrid (3rd February 2011), b3w4re (30th January 2011), Belle (14th February 2011), Charlie Pecos (20th February 2011), Crazy Louie (1st September 2013), iamthat (6th December 2014), Mark (27th July 2012), Muzz (31st January 2011), NinJin (5th February 2011), sheddie (26th February 2011), Vrilya (13th June 2011), witchy1 (5th December 2010)

15. Link to Post #29
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Confrontations over very little seem to be appearing elsewhere in the forum. Avalon 1 challenges seem to be recreating themselves here.
    The ego loves to be right.
    The moment a position is taken up an equal amount of energy will be applied from an apposing point of view, thats the law of physics.
    Virtually any point of view will attract an adverse reaction.
    Its possible to be neutral without being passive. However the highest truth represented by compassion requires action to occur.
    Jesus was certainly not inactive but never claimed that he was doing anything and thats the paradox.
    "I of my self do nothing it is the Father within."
    Thats an ego-less statement, filled with humility.
    "The Father and I are One" is perhaps a paradox yet true.

Will we ever learn these truths subjectively for ourselves?
    I believe the answer is yes.
    I believe man kind has turned a corner.
    We are evolving rapidly.
    Chris
    Last edited by greybeard; 18th April 2010 at 14:39.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (30th November 2019), b3w4re (28th January 2011), Crazy Louie (1st September 2013), Mark (27th July 2012), Vrilya (13th June 2011)

17. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

One of the most helpful things I learned is.

"I don't have to be right"

There is tremendous freedom in this.
    I can just be.
    I dont have to take up a position on anything.
    Of course I have opinions and preferences but nothing is set in concrete.
    I don't actually mind what happens.
    From past experience I have seen that when I get my own way (ego) it can be disastrous.
    In alignment things just happen for the best effortlessly.
    Chris
    Namaste
    these are very wise words...i like them and thank you for them

really enjoy reading this thread

peace always
    mike

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mike1414 For This Post:

Anka (30th November 2019), b3w4re (28th January 2011), Butterfli13 (24th January 2011), Crazy Louie (1st September 2013)

19. Link to Post #31
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thanks for your kind words Mike
    Chris

20. Link to Post #32
    United States Avalon Member bettye198's Avatar
    Fairfield Glade, Tennessee in the Catoosa Mts
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,025 times in 571 posts

I do not presume to be a psychologist or one who has studied the facets of Ego in the human biology but I did cross fascinating information in Ashayana's Vol 2 Voyagers book. The origin of Ego occurred around 9540 BC when a mutation in the third DNA strand manifested a division within the third chakra and mental body level of the bio-energetic field, emerging as a new type of consciousness. ( excerpted pg 79) There were base tones and higher overtones of the Third DNA strand in the identity. The Higher became the Higher Self. The lower, the Ego. The Ego developed an exaggerated sense of dualistic perception locked into the five sensory perception. ( excerpted pg 79)

Back story: a Frequency Fence was created to protect the Sphere of Amenti from destroying the Earth if entered prematurely - The Sphere allows souls to transcend to higher dimensions and get off the reincarnation wheel - complex but compelling reading.

During that time, the human population was placed under quarantine. Through this Fence the Ego was cut off from a conscious relationship with its personal morphogenetic field and from the morphogenetic fields of its race and the planet. ( this is where the Ego felt the isolation and separateness) This is where the human consciousness became locked within the illusion of matter and . . . .losing touch with the Source within and behind all things . . . ( excerpted pg 80)

As long as the Frequency Fence was operational, the Ego could not translate higher dimensional data into conscious awareness nor could it translate the comprehension of the Higher Self mind. ( excerpted pg 80)

What the Higher Mind did was create Intuition, thereby communicating data to the conscious awareness via feelings.

When the Third strand DNA is completely assembled, the Higher Self aspect of identity will merge with the EGO and the mental awareness will comprehend itself as being a multidimensional identity. The first step in integrating the Ego into this multidimensional identity is to open the lines of conscious communication between Ego and Higher Self. ( excerpted pg 81 )
    Last edited by bettye198; 19th April 2010 at 02:09.
    When you realize where you come from, you naturally become tolerant, disinterested, amused, kindhearted as a grandparent, dignified as a king. -- I Ching

21. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 times in 1,362 posts

My take on the ego, Greybeard, and it’s very simple, because I really like simple, is that it’s a false sense an illusion of ourselves and who we are and the world given to us through our 5 senses via the environment. It is located in our primitive brain and is part of the survival instinct.

Tuning in to the more evolved, frontal brain can shift our attention from this primitive state and expand our beingness /consciousness.

And apparently, one way to do this (apart from meditation) is by popping the amygdala. I’m thinking that by doing this often it rewires, or reconnects or stimulates this part of our brain connecting us to a higher state of consciousness.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teakai For This Post:

Crazy Louie (1st September 2013), soleil (9th November 2013)

23. Link to Post #34
    Language
    English
    Thanks

There are those that watch it happen, those who make it happen and those who are unaware of anything happening.
    Now I tend to read only books by those who are in the state of enlightenment because thats my personal preference.
    As is said talking about it is not it.
    However its a question of meeting people where they stand.
    Eckhart Tolle will appeal to a lot of people, David Hawkins to less.
    Ramana to a few, Nasargadatta to even less.
    But those mentioned are uniform in their subjective experience, the mind becomes silent and a state of peace prevails no matter what.
    Humans are naturally curious and are drawn to all kinds of interesting things.
    For me its a bit like the old fashioned types of rockets, when launched they would vere from one extreme to another while going towards the target, not this not that, then eventually they would go straight towards the goal.
    ive read many books from self help positive thinking, ascension, angels, pyramid info, earth changes channeling, you name it I have been there.
    All useful to me at that time but eventually for me they were a distraction and I only speak for me.
    I had to get down to, if I wanted to know God subjectively I had to do the internal work as recommended by all sages throughout all of time, meditation and service to others to the best of my ability.
    My present aim is to be kind to all life no matter what, sometimes I fail miserably, when there is a modicum of success I feel good, I get positive feed back tat I am on target so to speak.
    the ego of course puts up a resistance and tries to tell me I am missing out on something.
    The reverse is true, those who are enlightened live in an entirely different realm, free of concepts, of having to conform, free of all bondage.
    Yet right action just flows through them.
    With love
    Chris

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (30th November 2019), Arak (1st June 2013), b3w4re (28th January 2011), Belle (14th February 2011), Charlie Pecos (20th February 2011), Crazy Louie (1st September 2013), iamthat (6th December 2014), Ikarusion (5th May 2014), Mark (27th July 2012), sheddie (26th February 2011)

25. Link to Post #35
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Teakai (here)
    My take on the ego, Greybeard, and it’s very simple, because I really like simple, is that it’s a false sense an illusion of ourselves and who we are and the world given to us through our 5 senses via the environment. It is located in our primitive brain and is part of the survival instinct.

Tuning in to the more evolved, frontal brain can shift our attention from this primitive state and expand our beingness /consciousness.

And apparently, one way to do this (apart from meditation) is by popping the amygdala. I’m thinking that by doing this often it rewires, or reconnects or stimulates this part of our brain connecting us to a higher state of consciousness.
    As to taking anything I honestly dont know.
    However the act of meditation rewires the brain and that is scientifically proven in Dr Hawkins book "Power vs Force"
    It is simple but not easy.
    Ultimately the ego is a an illusion because it is thought based.
    Anything that comes and goes is not your true Self which is eternal.
    Thanks to all who post here.
    Chris

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (30th November 2019), Crazy Louie (1st September 2013)

27. Link to Post #36
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 times in 1,362 posts

As to taking anything I honestly dont know.
    However the act of meditation rewires the brain and that is scientifically proven in Dr Hawkins book "Power vs Force"
    It is simple but not easy.

Chris
    LOL. I was a bit confused here for a minute. I wondered where I'd mentioned taking anything. I guess you're refering to 'popping' the amygdala. It's a node in the brain which rewires, or reconnects us to our frontal lobe - same effects as meditation - but quicker apparently.(Just in case you weren't taking the pi** :D)

I do very much agree with what you're saying about ego illusion.

The barriers of your belief will form the bars which imprison your mind.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Teakai For This Post:

Crazy Louie (1st September 2013)

29. Link to Post #37
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,616 times in 1,305 posts

Quote All of us, including myself, have come from this place called God, and it is that God within each and every one of us that directs our lives, unless we leave it and take on something called the ego, which is really hard to let go of.

- Wayne Dyer

Source: My Spiritual Oasis

Love, ~ Dan

P.S. Chris, you got 5 stars from me on this thread
    Last edited by truthseekerdan; 20th April 2010 at 03:49.
    Unity Consciousness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free your mind, and open your heart to LOVE.
    You'll then become enlightened able to just BE.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to truthseekerdan For This Post:

Anka (30th November 2019)

31. Link to Post #38
    Language
    English
    Thanks

LOL. I was a bit confused here for a minute. I wondered where I'd mentioned taking anything. I guess you're refering to 'popping' the amygdala. It's a node in the brain which rewires, or reconnects us to our frontal lobe - same effects as meditation - but quicker apparently.(Just in case you weren't taking the pi** :D)

Hi Teakai
    I was in ignorance of popping amygdala, thanks.
    Please keep posting here that how we spread understanding of a complex subject.
    Chris

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Hi Teakai
    I was in ignorance of popping amygdala, thanks.
    Please keep posting here that how we spread understanding of a complex subject.
    Chris

32. Link to Post #39
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by truthseekerdan (here)
    Source: My Spiritual Oasis

Love, ~ Dan

P.S. Chris, you got 5 stars from me on this thread
    Thanks Dan
    Wayne Dyer is a personal friend of Dr David Hawkins and has sat at many of his lectures taking copious notes.

"My spiritual oasis" site should have 9 stars Dan .

For general info Hawkins publisher site is.
    http://www.veritaspub.com/

Dr. David R. Hawkins, M.D., Ph.D.

Dr. Hawkins is an internationally renowned psychiatrist, physician, researcher, and pioneer in the fields of consciousness research and spirituality. He writes and teaches from the unique perspective of an experienced clinician, scientist, and mystic and is devoted to the spiritual evolution of mankind.

Much of what I post regarding transcending the ego is influenced by Dr Hawkins book "Discovery of the presence of God /Devotional nonduality"
    Chris

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (30th November 2019), Crazy Louie (1st September 2013), sheddie (26th February 2011), soleil (9th November 2013)

34. Link to Post #40
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,616 times in 1,305 posts

"My spiritual oasis" site should have 9 stars Dan .

Chris
    I wish... Forums have only from 1 to 5 stars ratings, but thanks for your generosity.

The ego exists because we go on pedalling desire, because we go on striving to get something, because we go on jumping ahead of ourselves.

- Osho Quote
    Unity Consciousness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free your mind, and open your heart to LOVE.
    You'll then become enlightened able to just BE.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to truthseekerdan For This Post:

Anka (30th November 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 431 FirstFirst 1 2 12 52 102 431 LastLast