+ Reply to Thread
Page 316 of 431 FirstFirst 1 216 266 306 316 326 366 416 431 LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,320 of 8615

Thread: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

1. Link to Post #6301
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 times in 1,583 posts

Default Re: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

"Perhaps the most important thing we bring to another person is the silence in us, not the sort of silence that is filled with unspoken criticism or hard withdrawal. The sort of silence that is a place of refuge, of rest, of acceptance of someone as they are.

We are all hungry for this other silence. It is hard to find. In its presence we can remember something beyond the moment, a strength on which to build a life. Silence is a place of great power and healing."

~ Rachel Naomi Remen ~

Experience reality beyond the senses
    https://www.facebook.com/geerishhealer/

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

fourty-two (1st March 2017), Foxie Loxie (8th March 2017), joeecho (6th March 2017), Shadowman (1st March 2017), Wind (23rd February 2017)

3. Link to Post #6302
    Thanks

Part 2 of an interview with a Zen Master.

Me: “So I guess your view about desires is pretty much the same…”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “Yes. It is normal to have desires; even the Buddha had some desires (laughing). It is impossible to cut everything away. The thing is, you don’t have to. (laughing) Without desires, we would still live in caves and be covered with bear hides, sitting around a campfire. (laughing) Desires and ambitions make us want to do things; the problem is that, once again, we should not cling, we should not get attached to our desires (laughing) That’s the key. (laughing) Life is meant to be lived, experienced.”

– Me: “But for some people, it’s not easy not to cling…”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “Indeed. But when your mind is living in the ‘now’, I fully aware of the present, there is a profound sense of satisfaction that comes out of it. Your desires decrease dramatically. (laughing) You are not looking anymore for something to make you feel alive or happy, for something to fill that inner void – you are fully alive here and now, truly happy, free.”

– Me: “That’s right, the present moment is so precious. Sensei, I’m a martial artist myself, please tell me, based on your experience, the differences or similarities between martial arts and Zen.”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “Budo (martial arts in Japanese) and Zen have essentially the same nature: touching the mind, harmonizing the mind with the whole Universe, letting go of the ego, forgetting the self, coming back to the present moment. I’m not talking about sport martial arts, but about real martial art. Some Zen people have a very ‘small’ mind and think that these qualities belong to Zen only (laughing).

– Me: “True…”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “You see, you can awake through any practice, any art, but what is distinct with martial arts is the relationship a practitioner has with death. The practice of combat, even in a controlled environment, is a powerful tool for self-discovery and self-confrontation. (Sensei punched quickly in the air, in front of him, then laughed) When Budo is practiced whole-heartedly, this confrontation with death is constantly present – attack, defense, counterattack – and it has a significant impact on our mind and ultimately on our day-to-day life. How? Because the practitioner is getting more and more aware of the possibilities of death, of dying. That has an enormous impact on our life. (laughing) It makes us want to live the best life we can; it makes us want to be the best husband or wife, the best father or mother, the best brother or sister, the best friend, the best co-worker, the best member of society, the best human being we can…”

– Me: “Yes… you put it into words wonderfully.”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “That’s the spirit of Budo. Zazen can and should also be practiced with that spirit. Do Zazen like it’s your last Zazen, don’t be too attached to yourself, don’t try to preserve or protect yourself. People are suffering because they are attached to themselves. As I said before, burn yourself up in Zazen, in Budo, in anything you do.”

– Me: “People reading this interview cannot feel it, but you are amazingly calm and serene…”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: (laughing) “Why wouldn’t I be? (laughing) There is nothing to be afraid of… (laughing)”

– Me: “Yet so many people live in fear…”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “Fear means lack of wisdom. (laughing) People create so many fears for themselves; their fear are not even real! (laughing) What if this happens, what if that happens, what if I fail, what if they don’t like me, what if, what if, what if! You cannot live like that. Life is an amazing adventure, laugh, play, sing, dance, enjoy your life, don’t hold on to those miserable thoughts. Don’t hold on too much to yourself. Let go.”

– Me: “The mental is creating all those fears and dissatisfactions…”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “Yes! But you have a choice: to listen to it, or not. The choice is yours. It’s not the environment or the circumstances or your parents that make you happy or miserable; it’s YOU. Everything is a big illusion, a dream, so why worry? (laughing) You know what?”

– Me: “What…?”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “No matter what happens, there is always another tomorrow! (laughing)”

– Me: “Exactly! (laughing) Have you always been this wise, this ‘detached’?”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: (laughing) “Oh no, far from it! (laughing) When I was younger, around 21-22 years old, I wanted to become a famous artist! (laughing) And I wanted success so much that I was constantly worried, afraid of what people would think of my artworks, of my creations. I was in the “what if!” phase. (laughing)

– Me: (laughing)

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “Back then, I thought that even at my young age I was a great sculptor, that I had great talent! (laughing) One day, my girlfriend at the time, the woman that would later become my wife, told me that the reason I was an average sculptor – oh that was tough- (laughing) was because I was worried too much about the results when instead I should simply do it wholeheartedly without thoughts. My wife was a real Zen master! (laughing)”

– Me: “Those words must have hurt you?”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “They did, but they also opened my eyes. I realized that I was not practicing Zen when I was creating. I was attached to a result, not free. As soon as I realized this, my mindset changed instantly. I started to sculpt in a whole different way because my mind was pure, free, not attached to results anymore. With time, my art jumped to another level, more and more people started to enjoy my creations because I was forgetting mysel, burning myself up in the process.”

– Me: “You became a master sculptor…”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “No, the Universe became a master sculptor through me.”

– Me: “Well said Sensei.”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: (laughing)

– Me: “You didn’t worry about the results and then success came.”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “Yes. I think that somehow, the universe recognizes selfless acts and fills you up when you empty yourself from… hum yourself! From your ego, your mental (laughing). I stopped wanting to have rewards for my work; I was just happy that every swing from the knife was an opportunity to polish my mind.”

Do Zazen like it’s your last Zazen, don’t be too attached to yourself, don’t try to preserve or protect yourself.

– Me: “You are a Zen master, a Buddhist, yet you never sculpted a single Buddha…”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: (laughing) “I’m not a Master nor a Buddhist! (laughing) I just empty myself and follow the Universe. To answer your question, no, I have never sculpted a Buddha!” (laughing)

– Me: “May I ask why?”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “You may, you may! (laughing) Buddha is long gone, dead. (laughing) I like to sculpt scenes based on the living… trees, fish, birds, cranes, turtles, cats, etc.”

– Me: “Once again, not too attached, are you?”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: (laughing) The Universe is so vast, why attach yourself to something when there are plenty of things to see, experience, to discover? Attachments, even healthy ones, just limit your life, making it very small. You see Buddha here, Buddha there, and soon you forget to see life. It’s like keeping your face so close to a tree, that you miss the whole forest behind it! (laughing) When you are free, you are non-attached, your vision is wide, penetrating and you see the whole forest, even with closed eyes, you have the universe at your feet. You become the forest.”

– Me: “Can you talk to us about the ‘middle way'”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “The Middle Way goes beyond Buddhism, it’s a law of nature. (laughing) The Middle Way integrates contradictions between subject and object, beyond duality. We would need hours to discuss this! On a very practical, easy to understand level, it means finding a balance between materialistic life and spiritual life. Living only for the body brings suffering, disbalance. Living only for the mind also brings suffering and disbalance. (laughing)”

– Me: “And the balance between opposites is also present in martial arts.”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “It’s present in nature, therefore is has to be present in Zen and martial arts as well. In martial art, you should not be too tight nor too relaxed, too high nor too low, too wide nor too narrow. (laughing) You have to find balance between extremes. Same thing with Zazen. ”

– Me: “True. You were telling me last time we met about the importance of silence, can you please elaborate on that?”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “Constant noise, constant talking is not the natural human way. (laughing) We need silence, silence from others and silence from ourselves to come back within ourselves and reconnect with our mind and body – mind/body unity. If we are constantly ‘entertained’ by noise or people or radio or tv, we can’t look within. I’m not saying you should cut off from the world and go live alone on your mountain! (laughing) If you do so, you will reach a state of Enlightenment very quickly! (laughing) It’s easy to awake when there is nothing to challenge you! (laughing) What I mean is that it is important to take a moment, each day, to experience solitude and silence. ”

– Me: “That reminds me, years ago you suggested me a great silence/mindfulness exercise. Can you please remind my readers about it?”

– Miyazaki-Sensei: “Yes of course. If you live with people, try to wake-up before everybody or find a moment during the day when you can be alone. While doing this exercise, it is important that you do something, not just lay down on the couch without moving. (laughing) Try to do whatever you have or choose to do, in silence. I mean total silence. You should not make a single sound. Do every action very slowly: walking, closing the window, reaching for the spoon, eating, whatever you do. Even breathing. (laughing) Do it your whole being like your life depends on it. (laughing) Take an hour or so just to go experience slowness and silent. This will bring your mind to the present moment.”

I hope you enjoyed, please don’t hesitate to comment, and share this interview. Part three coming soon.

– Fuyu

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

fourty-two (24th February 2017), IChingUChing (23rd February 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (21st March 2017), Shadowman (1st March 2017)

5. Link to Post #6303
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Help will be appreciated.
    I am enjoying my break but I would like some one to check for these Buddha at the Gas Pump Interview videos and post them here.
    I don't want people to miss out on these quality interviews.

With Love
    Chris

https://batgap.com/
    The Conscious TV web site also worth checking

http://www.conscious.tv/

Duane Elgin - Buddha at the Gas Pump Interview

Published on 20 Feb 2017
    Also see https://batgap.com/duane-elgin/

Duane Elgin grew up on a farm in Idaho and has become an internationally recognized author, educator, speaker and media activist. He has an MBA from the Wharton Business School, and an MA in economic history from the University of Pennsylvania. In 2006 he received the Peace Prize of Japan—the Goi Award—in recognition of his contribution to a global “vision, consciousness, and lifestyle” that fosters a “more sustainable and spiritual culture.”

His books include: "The Living Universe: Where Are We? Who Are We? Where Are We Going?"; "Promise Ahead: A Vision of Hope and Action for Humanity's Future"; "Voluntary Simplicity: Toward a Way of Life That Is Outwardly Simple, Inwardly Rich"; and "Awakening Earth: Exploring the Evolution of Human Culture and Consciousness" (Also available as a free download on Duane's site.) With Joseph Campbell and other scholars, he co-authored the book "Changing Images of Man". In addition, Duane has contributed chapters to twenty-three books, and has published more than a hundred major articles.

In the 1970s, Duane worked as a senior staff member of a Presidential Commission looking 30 years into the American future. He then worked as a senior social scientist with the think-tank SRI International where he coauthored numerous studies of the long-range future. In addition, for nearly three years while working at SRI in the early-1970s, Duane was a subject in the initial, government-sponsored psi research into “remote viewing” and other intuitive capacities.

Over the past thirty years, Duane has co-founded three non-profit and trans-partisan organizations working for citizen empowerment and a citizen’s voice through creative uses of the new media that surround us.

Websites: http://duaneelgin.com http://greattransitionstories.org

Interview recorded 2/18/2017.

Last edited by greybeard; 23rd February 2017 at 15:49.
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

betoobig (26th February 2017), Bluegreen (23rd February 2017), fourty-two (23rd February 2017), Foxie Loxie (23rd February 2017), Guish (23rd February 2017), Shadowman (1st March 2017), Wind (23rd February 2017)

7. Link to Post #6304
    Thanks

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (28th February 2017), Heart-2-Heart (24th February 2017), Shadowman (1st March 2017)

9. Link to Post #6305
    Thanks

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (28th February 2017), joeecho (3rd March 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (21st March 2017), Shadowman (1st March 2017), shijo (26th February 2017), uzn (26th February 2017), Wind (25th February 2017), Zampano (2nd March 2017)

11. Link to Post #6306
    Thanks

When your mind is narrow,
    small things agitate you easily.
    Make your mind an ocean...

~Lama Thebtan Yeshe

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

fourty-two (1st March 2017), Foxie Loxie (28th February 2017), joeecho (2nd March 2017), Shadowman (1st March 2017), Wind (26th February 2017), Zampano (2nd March 2017)

13. Link to Post #6307
    Thanks

If you can not find the truth right where you are,
    where else do you expect to find it?

~ Dogen ~

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

Clear Light (28th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (28th February 2017), joeecho (2nd March 2017), Shadowman (1st March 2017), Wind (1st March 2017), Zampano (2nd March 2017)

15. Link to Post #6308
    Thanks

"Remember that your ‘True Home’ is not found outside yourself, but it is right in your own heart. We have everything we need right in our heart. We do not need to practice for many years or to travel far to arrive at our true home. If we know how to generate the energy of mindfulness and concentration, then with each breath, with each step, we arrive at our true home.."

~Thich Nhat Hanh

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

fourty-two (6th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (2nd March 2017), gaiagirl (4th March 2017), joeecho (2nd March 2017), Shadowman (1st March 2017), Wind (2nd March 2017), Zampano (2nd March 2017)

17. Link to Post #6309
    Thanks

"Around us, life bursts forth with miracles—a glass of water, a ray of sunshine, a leaf, a caterpillar, a flower, laughter, raindrops. If you live in awareness, it is easy to see miracles everywhere.

Each human being is a multiplicity of miracles. Eyes that see thousands of colors, shapes, and forms; ears that hear a bee flying or a thunderclap; a brain that ponders a speck of dust as easily as the entire cosmos; a heart that beats in rhythm with the heartbeat of all beings.

When we are tired and feel discouraged by life’s daily struggles, we may not notice these miracles, but they are always there. "

~Thich Nhat Hanh

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (2nd March 2017), greybeard (2nd March 2017), Shadowman (4th March 2017), Sojourner (3rd March 2017), Wind (2nd March 2017), Zampano (2nd March 2017)

19. Link to Post #6310
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 353 posts

Brian Yosef Schachter-Brooks is a Jewish spiritual teacher, musician and founder of Torah of Awakening (2006). He has taught this Jewish Path of Presence to hundreds of students around the world through workshops, retreats and his on-line program. He also served as clergy and sacred music director at Chochmat HaLev synagogue in Berkeley, California (2000- 2016). He received s'micha (ordination) as Minister of Sacred Music from Reb Zalman Schachter Shalomi z"l (2013), Spiritual Teacher from Rabbi SaraLeya Schley and Shaykh Ibrahim Baba Farajaje (2013), Jewish Meditation Teacher from Dr. Avram Davis (2004) and holds a Bachelor in Music from the Eastman School of Music (1991). He lives in Tucson, Arizona with wife Lisa and their two children.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zampano For This Post:

greybeard (2nd March 2017), Guish (2nd March 2017), Shadowman (4th March 2017), Sojourner (3rd March 2017)

21. Link to Post #6311
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 353 posts

And recent interview from Conscious TV about one Mystic Path in Islam Religion-Sufism
    I really enjoyed listening to this one

Sheikh Burhanuddin talks about his fascinating journey and experiences along his way to become a Sheikh under the guidance of his master, Sheikh Nazim. From an early age when he was very drawn to be in nature he soon committed his life to finding a master who could guide him on his path. His spent time on different ‘seclusions’ which were very influential and helpful him with many realizations. He also had a session with spiritual healer Stephen Turoff which triggered a very deep state which lasted for nearly 3 years. He goes on to explain the Uwaysi System which is now an integral part of his teaching.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zampano For This Post:

greybeard (2nd March 2017), Guish (2nd March 2017), Shadowman (4th March 2017), shijo (2nd March 2017)

23. Link to Post #6312
    Thanks

Mind

You don't have to do anything with your mind.
    Just let it naturally rest in it's essential nature.
    Your own mind, unagitated, is reality.
    Meditate on this without distraction.

Know the Truth beyond all opposites.
    Thoughts are like bubbles that form
    and dissolve in clear water.

Thoughts are not distinct from the absolute Reality,
    so relax, there is no need to be critical.

Whatever arises, whatever occurs,
    simply don't cling to it, but immediately let it go.
    What you see, hear, and touch are your own mind.

There is nothing but mind.
    Mind transcends birth and death.

The essence of mind is pure Consciousness
    that never leaves reality, even though
    it experiences the things of the senses.

In the equanimity of the Absolute,
    there is nothing to renounce or attain.

~Niguma

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (3rd March 2017), gaiagirl (4th March 2017), greybeard (3rd March 2017), joeecho (3rd March 2017), Shadowman (4th March 2017), Wind (4th March 2017), Zampano (3rd March 2017)

25. Link to Post #6313
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

Quote There is nothing but mind.
    If that is so, then what is nothing?

Mind is the recycle center of it's own 'existence'.

26. Link to Post #6314
    Thanks

Quote Posted by joeecho (here)
    Quote There is nothing but mind.
    If that is so, then what is nothing?

Mind is the recycle center of it's own 'existence'.

Nothing is no self. Emotions are temporary, thoughts are temporary and actions vary. We act in a certain way based on belief systems or subconscious programming or because of chemical reactions in the brain. This is why it's important to choose what we see and read and also important to not have a belief system and cling to it. What defines you then? We all have an inner programming which Buddhism calls buddha nature. Our Buddha nature is kind, compassionate and infinite. Trees are programmed to give oxygen. Humans are programmed to love as what is outside of people is also inside. A chaotic mind will result in chaos or attract chaos. A peaceful mind will suck negativity or create peace.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (4th March 2017), joeecho (4th March 2017), Shadowman (4th March 2017), Wind (4th March 2017)

28. Link to Post #6315
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,497 times in 4,310 posts

I read this recently on the human propensity for "worrying", ie negativity, and that we do create the realities we experience. The sentence can also apply for a positive outcome in a given situation. I thought the words insightful:

Quote "the acceptance of the possibility creates that open door which allows the possibility to enter."
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (4th March 2017), gaiagirl (4th March 2017), Guish (4th March 2017), joeecho (4th March 2017), Shadowman (4th March 2017), Wind (4th March 2017)

30. Link to Post #6316
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Guish (here)

Nothing is no self.
    Nothing is no self with mind the monopoly.

Quote Well, I got one foot on the platform
    The other foot on the train
    Having never left the station, yet mind (be) the house of the rising sun.

31. Link to Post #6317
    Thanks

he mind of wisdom is like a mirror.
    It grasps nothing. It expects nothing.
    It reflects, but does not hold.

~Chuang Tzu~

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

fourty-two (6th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (5th March 2017), joeecho (6th March 2017), Wind (6th March 2017)

33. Link to Post #6318
    Thanks

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

fourty-two (6th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (6th March 2017), joeecho (6th March 2017), Wind (7th March 2017)

35. Link to Post #6319
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (8th March 2017), Guish (8th March 2017), joeecho (8th March 2017)

37. Link to Post #6320
    Thanks

Ego, the first world idol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 316 of 431 FirstFirst 1 216 266 306 316 326 366 416 431 LastLast