+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 431 FirstFirst 1 41 51 61 101 151 431 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 8614

Thread: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

1. Link to Post #1001
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,858 times in 11,838 posts

Default Re: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

Thanks Stan.
    I knew it was full version some place.
    I use download helper and that way I can watch later.

We have a sharing community on the thread and never in my experience a cross word, differing points of view yes and that helps us all to grow.
    Im getting lazy --- laughing --- so the more you guys contribute the less I do nd thats a good thing, keep it coming.

Regards to all who contribute and also visit.

All are very welcome

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

aranuk (21st April 2011), Caren (22nd April 2011)

3. Link to Post #1002
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,592 times in 5,379 posts

Thanks Stan and Chris,

It was a thought provoking movie. It reminded me of the moment of great realization that I had a long while ago. It is also the premier revelation that drove my next three books. And it is this: zero equals infinity. Not a week after I had this thought I gave up on scientific dogma completely. No longer did I buy science magazines and books. I stopped following the so-called advances in science. And I began a journey that as it went along diverged more and more from the contemporary understandings of the modern world.

Eventually, I reprioritized my understandings. I am still working on reinventing or integrating who I am in relation to those new understandings.

That is also why I do not publish my growing list of books. When I read them now they seem naive and overly simplistic. I believe these works of mine are for me and maybe only for me. I understand that these books represent a gradual learning process and that what I thought was true in the first book may have become false by the third. This could be seen as evidence of a personality that cannot decide on what to believe. And I do not want to confuse others so I do not publish.

Nothing is the great unmanifest, the ineffable. Everything is the manifested world and all it contains. Nothing does not grow into everything, it is the everything but without materialization or manifestation. Nothing is infinite potential. Everything is that potential realized.

Gotta love it!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

greybeard (22nd April 2011)

5. Link to Post #1003
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hi Ernie
    Thank you for this keep contributing please.
    Massim Haramein seems to have it right He claims the vacume is full of energy that the space in the atom dictates what form the atom takes.
    What I have said is not an accurate reflection of Nassim's work but close enough.
    We are the field of consciousness in which materialization seems to occur.
    I posted this some time back but worth re post.

Regards Chris

6. Link to Post #1004
    Thanks

Really good video.

Are you somehow playing with me, Chris?

I have not this man's credentials, nor do I claim to have gone into such detail, but my first book is focussed primarily on exactly this topic. I call the fractal nature of the universe fundamental archetypes that undergird reality. Many have realized the repeating patterns in the universe and have understood the role scale plays in the manifestation of form. I like how he links this new physics to the teachings of spiritual masters. Although he arrives at a different conclusion than I did, I believe that is only because I already had the answer I was trying to prove. He concludes that everything is a black hole of varying scale, and I sum it up by stating everything is an illusion. The flickering between individual and the Godhead is also an aspect I include in my work but I define it as the authority problem. Humans have mistakenly usurped the role of the Creator and therefore must push the Creator out beyond our ken. Only with the Creator safely placed beyond reach can man then reinvent himself and imagine he has a self-image that he must defend against assault from outside forces.

Maybe my books aren't so crazy after all...

7. Link to Post #1005
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hi Ernie
    My friend I did not know what your books were about, so definitely not playing with you.
    I dont know enough about the subject to form an opinion so appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
    Here is another video that might interest you.
    First part here but 2nd available U tube

Best wishes
    Chris

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

DoubleHelix (23rd April 2011), gaiagirl (7th August 2011)

9. Link to Post #1006
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 353 posts

Hello everybody

I started to write a response to Earnies post, but I ended up somewhere else and the end...

It is always good to hear from people with courage who are able to live their lives far away from the mainstream society. I can refer to your choice of lifestyle because I had a similar experience,
    but just temporary for nearly a year. I lived in Italy in an old mouldy stone house, but surrounded by beautiful nature with orchard, woods and beautiful mountains in the background.
    I stayed there with like minded spirits we just lived from the land and spend our days talking, working, debating, hiking, eating, celebrating and playing music.
    We didnt work, neither we had insurances or a car or other commitments. Oh boy, that was a great time.

We took ourselves out of the game. When you stop playing the game, the rules dont apply to you anymore. This simple lifestyle, where lots of people met and inspired each other,
    made the people in town suspicious and eventually they called the police, because they felt that there was somthing going wrong at our place. They saw happy foreigners in the streets
    and they assumed that we were on drugs. The police came they were looking if something is wrong here and of course, they didnt find anthing which was against the law. It amused me,
    that they were looking so desperately to find something. I wasnt even angry at them, because they just did their job. A policeman hopefully chose this job to do good and help the community
    and bring justice into our world. Of course, people can be mislead, but they started out with good intentions I think-at least.

I cant blame the policeman nor the villagers, it is a problem of our society. They are in the machine and they have to keep the machine going, otherwise they wouldnt survive very long.
    This was a turning point for me to go back to our society with all the good and bad stuff which is happening in this world. Because ultimately, we are part of this society, whether its the
    natural evolution of society or orchestrated. I could have lived this life happily until my they would have come, but I decided to go back and try to make a change.

After this great experience I felt the urge to tell everybody how they have to live their lives to become free or happy, because I was so overwhelmed from my experiences.
    But then I realised, that I cant push people into something. It was my experience, my great time, my knowledge and understanding I gained in this couple of months and I decided
    for myself whats good and whats not. So the best way, is just to be an example and do your thing. Back home when I talked to other oeople about my experience, they were more like:
    "Oh really...you did that?. I wanna do the same, but I cant afford it/dont have the time/the circumstances which I am in doesnt allow it. They felt pity about me.

I learned more there, than what I can adapt for my life here. My life standards are not the same anymore-you just fulfil your basic needs. And we were discussing things, where the majority
    doenst even know that these topics can be discussed and ultimately changed. How to change our environment to be beneficial for everybody. They take the rules and laws as granted without
    knowing that they do great damage to them. They dont even feel the need to change them, because they feel powerless. On the other hand they see their politicians or former politicians caught up in
    corruptiom-ministers and members of the parliament full of greed and power. And yet they dont wanna do something about it.

As I said, I could have lived this life happily until my day has come, but now I feel the urge to change something to make our society more liveable. Maybe thats not the reason why am here, but its natural to
    improve your environment to make it more suitable for me. Now I come to the point in life, where I think about having children and of course I want to raise them in a society which feels good to me.
    Not only my future children, also every soul and every human being.

I think to change a society can be made in 2 ways: One is a wise dictator which takes radical steps to enforce the one system.

The other one which I like better is to give the people time to think who they are and whats best for them to make the best out of their life.

Unfortunately most of the people in our society dont have the time to think about such important things, because they have to work their 40 plus hours a week, kids, hobbies,...you name it.
    I had the great opportunity to put myself in a place where I had time to think and to exchange with other people from all over the world. I would say it was my sabbatical year.
    The second choice needs decades to evolve and will progress very slowly. And it needs people with integrity.

I was really impressed by Bills quote about integrity, where one's beliefs, actions and statements are all in alignment.

It needs people who say NO! Or

Sometimes I think that our ego is also a present or a good tool to reach our goals, because it keeps us going to one direction, but it needs an open mind to also change ones ways of thinkings.
    There is not one truth, there are many points of observation. And to change them makes you sometimes feel better.The problem is the same but from another angle it is easier to solve it.
    People get easily caught in their ways of thinking by the lack of knowing how to change their perspective. Sometimes it needs a good friend to suggest you another possibility how to solve a problem.
    Sometimes it needs a godlike human in a white doctors coat to tell you that everything is gonna be fine. Or ultimately you know for yourself whats good for you and whats not.

On my opinion this is for example a good and healthy help in your life on earth. Sometimes I get the feeling that I am dealling with a self destructive society on our planet. Exploitation of natural ressources,
    unethical behaviour with humans, animals and nature causes lots of sickness which are preventable...heart attacks, strokes, psychological problems, back pains, headaches...you name it.
    You can prevent things like that with the right knowledge. But this for example isnt thaught at school. They dont tell you this things which are important to manage your life and become independent.
    They dont teach you how to learn things on your own-where you are interested in. You dont have to learn everything-you just have to know how to learn. On my opinion thats true education.

For me I started to work as a gardener 30 hours a week. I decided to grow my own food on a property owned by my family. It is a garden right in the village center and lots of the neighbours are curious
    about what I am doing and why I am doing that. And I have already 2 people who want to share the garden for growing food and flowers. I know not everybody has the opportunity to do that with a
    garden or a property , but you can express yourself in other ways to contribute to your perfect community.

I just wanted to write down my thoughts on Earnies post, but at the end it led me somewhere else. And I think its good...finally I wrote down lots of my thoughts I had in my head in the last couple of months.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zampano For This Post:

dmarie (29th April 2011), Ernie Nemeth (24th April 2011), greybeard (23rd April 2011)

11. Link to Post #1007
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Zampano
    Thanks for sharing so eloquently.
    We all learn so much from each other here.
    Best wishes
    Chris

12. Link to Post #1008
    Europe Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

There is a big difference between the psychological Ego and the occult or mystic Ego, the first is to do with the dynamics of the personality, the other is far more complex , and is to do with elements within the person that are autonomous , that want to relive events , physical or mental or emotional , over and over , they are parasitic in nature and have an aspect of the persons essence within them that gives them life.
    They are created by a mistaken will and desire.
    This type of ego can be destroyed ,and the essence liberated through the light of understanding and prayer

13. Link to Post #1009
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Welcome
    If you are new to the subject please start page one there are lots of valuable contributions and video throughout..

Namaste

14. Link to Post #1010
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Pated from Magna Carta

"Friction has its uses as without it the diamond would not shine
    Vini and Emma are shining.

The first revealing of the magnificence of the diamond may require some hard polishing but the final polish is done with a soft cloth.
    me.

Now going to make Sots broth which requires intense heat/rapid boil to burn of impurities then simmer to bring out the full flavor when it has cooled some it is very palatable and healthy.

Regards Chris"

it is of great worth to examine every personal thought and action, to be aware of ones own agenda--- we all have one.
    I ask my self "Where is that thought coming from" and trace it back to see what pay value I may get if I act on it.

if it is self interest, attention seeking, looking for respect even admiration, then it is of the ego.

If it is of the highest good any action coming from it may be of benefit to all.

Chris

15. Link to Post #1011
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 times in 1,362 posts

Carried over from the thread: Fraud? Deception? Speak!

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Sorry Teakai its tomorrow here12.50am Im to tired for intelligent reply --am I ever lol

I believe the soul is pure and does not need to evolve.
    What is moving from self to Self evolves to know itself.
    The Self of the "other" is the same divine energy as inhabits this Self and I acknowledge the Divinity in the other.
    Self is egoless -- self has varying degrees of ego depending on how far the self has evolved.
    When enlightenment happens there is no "person" left to claim that state
    Best I can do
    Good night may your life be filled with joy

Chris
    No worries, Greybeard - I know what you mean. It was 9am-ish and I was awake and on the go Now I'm winding down.

But now I have another question altogether.
    If we are soul and soul is pure (which I agree with to a point) What do you think it's doing this human game plan for? What point is this earthly life if soul is complete and requires nothing and must know itself already?

I also think that the trips are about shedding the identity and uniting with the whole - only I don't see the earth incarnation as being even nearly close to that stage.

This is quite possibly a question better asked in the ego/enlightenment thread. So, I'll go and pop it there, also.

The barriers of your belief will form the bars which imprison your mind.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Teakai For This Post:

greybeard (2nd May 2011)

17. Link to Post #1012
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I dont know is the short answer Teakai.
    but I know some one who does.
    That I means that I dont have subjective experience of enlightenment.

However
    From what I have read over the years and some personal experience I would say that there is only one consciousness which we all share.
    So assuming this to be correct duality is an illusion.

Our perception is flawed so we dont see things as they really are.
    I am learning to see things in a different way.

Much has been written on this allready here by various contributors and some videos as well
    Who is driving the dream bus? is good

You could use a sliding scale like a thermometer.
    So that cold is not seen as an opposite to heat just less of it

Same with light --- extremely bright down to dim then absence of light.

Dark has no existence, it can not be shone but light can be.

Enlightenment is a change in perception that happens when duality is transcended -- that is not easy.

It is my belief that unity consciousness already exists we just are not aware of it.

A Course in Miracles says "The moment you take up a position know that you are identifying with an illusion"

Ramana Maharishi quote " Creation and dissolution never happened"

Eckhart Tolle "There was never anyone out there to do anything to you"

There no enemy
    There is only ONE here.

So its a question in our world of what is appropriate action to any perceived event.
    even then non duality can be applied --- very appropriate all the way down down to lack of being appropriate.

So this would not be appropriate to say on some other threads Its a question of what is helpful there.
    What is helpful to one is not to another "person"
    With enlightenment there is no person left-- no individualism only unified consciousness.

Where would the ego be with out its dearly held opinion on everything????? LOL

Chris
    Last edited by greybeard; 1st May 2011 at 12:58.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Lifesong (2nd May 2011), Teakai (11th May 2011)

19. Link to Post #1013
    Thanks

For the more science-minded, I like the following equation.

¥ - N = ¥ , where ¥ is infinity , and N is any finite number

I always wondered, what is this N-thing, this something more than everything? How can you have everything and something more to take away from everything? If infinity is God, then what is this impossible speck doing in the equation ? Could that be the willful ego, the impossible stance by an impossibility? ... Always struck me as odd is all, and a fine way to see clearly the thing I made.

20. Link to Post #1014
    United States Avalon Member edina's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,171 times in 2,420 posts

Greybeard asked me to post this link here in the Enlightenment Thread, I imagine it is because he feels it has something to do with the Enlightenment.

The Healing Choir

Thank you, my friend greybeard, for being who you are!
    I happily co-create a balanced world culture harmonized with Infinite Intelligence. ~ edina (Renaissance Humanity)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edina For This Post:

greybeard (6th May 2011), Lifesong (2nd May 2011)

22. Link to Post #1015
    United States Avalon Member Jonfen's Avatar
    Thanks

So I've been a window-shopper around Avalon for awhile and finally got a chance to register and become a member. There has been an overwhelming amount of stuff I've been wanting to talk about and participate in but I don't really know where to begin, so I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on enlightenment, or some questions of its nature...

1) In seeking the higher (enlightened) self, does the higher self have a higher self?
    2) To transcend to me sounds like a form of movement, so the desire to transcend the ego is the desire to move out of it, but I contest that the ego is just as much a part of everything as anything else, which is to say, what is outside of the universe, and when you get out, where will you be? Is not the desire to move out of the ego as a game of the ego.
    3) How deep can one go? How far out can one go? Where does that end, and are we not already there?
    4) And this one is more a question of definition, it seems from reading there are many different definitions of the ego, what are some of the more common ones?

Sorry for posting having not read the entire post, and I probably have more to ask/talk about but I have to go for a tiny interview. So nice to be here, thanks for existing!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonfen For This Post:

greybeard (6th May 2011)

24. Link to Post #1016
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Good questions jofen
    (1) No there is one Higher Self shared by all/ call it the life force within-- very intelligent.
    (2) Not a movement but words wont cover it. Uncovering that which is all ready present but well hidden.
    (3) define infinity-- smiling (we are already the totality all of it)
    (4) Have a look at the first few pages

Who is Driving the Dream Bus is a good video- - its several pages back.
    Regards Chris

25. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Jonfen (7th May 2011)

26. Link to Post #1017
    United States Avalon Member Jonfen's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks Greybeard, I quite enjoyed Driving the Dream Bus, I feel it sums up a lot of my feelings on the subject very much. I especially enjoyed the woman's perspective of figuring it out on your own, I often find myself wondering though if my knowledge on zen is not fully integrated in my being. Is there a difference in knowing vs. feeling? I guess I've felt as though if I figured out this one mystery, the others would follow in suit, but then again I suppose it isn't really understanding the mystery but more understanding that it is infinitely mysterious and the parts will never fully understand the whole. How does one align to God's will, playing the part given? Not worrying? Feeling a desire to have a direction but not having one (that is readily noticeable) has left me rather fatigued...I don't know what you can say to that, but...thanks for your response. I shall go through and have a look at more of the thread.

27. Link to Post #1018
    Switzerland Avalon Member sepia's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,932 times in 270 posts

It is my belief that unity consciousness already exists we just are not aware of it.

Chris
    ----

Chris -

Let me take a tiny space to express the huge respect and love I have for you.

Your light is constantly shining here and there -

and we both know it is the result of a long and honest journey.

Sincerely, Sepia

28. The Following User Says Thank You to sepia For This Post:

777 (9th May 2011)

29. Link to Post #1019
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by sepia (here)

Chris

----

Chris -

Let me take a tiny space to express the huge respect and love I have for you.

Your light is constantly shining here and there -

and we both know it is the result of a long and honest journey.

Sincerely, Sepia
    Sincere thanks for your kind thoughts Sepia.
    Yes the road is long and honest is the journey but the destination is the same.
    Much love and respect for you
    Chris

30. Link to Post #1020
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,157 times in 529 posts

chris
    i purposly avoid this thread.
    the reason ,i don,t want to be influenced on my journey.
    by this thread.
    as you know i am reading a couple of books and listening to cds.
    when the time is right,i will start at page one.
    i think you know where i am coming from.
    regards manny

+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 431 FirstFirst 1 41 51 61 101 151 431 LastLast