+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 431 FirstFirst 1 8 48 58 68 108 158 431 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 8616

Thread: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

1. Link to Post #1141
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,616 times in 1,305 posts

Default Re: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

"But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken." (Mark 13:24-25)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=l5U1FTP-D1E
    Unity Consciousness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free your mind, and open your heart to LOVE.
    You'll then become enlightened able to just BE.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to truthseekerdan For This Post:

greybeard (11th July 2011), ketturah (6th November 2011)

3. Link to Post #1142
    Thanks

Thought into the great creative Universal Subconscious Mind plus faith can equal only one thing and that is physical reality. It matters not whether the thought is good or evil, if the faith is there it will manifest, for that is the law. Thought plus faith creates!

Believe you will fail and you will. Believe you will succeed and you will. Believe you will be well and you will be. Believe you will be sick and you will be. Believe you are unloved and you are. Believe you are unattractive and you are. Jesus said: "Verily, I say unto you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you shall say unto this mountain move hither, and the mountain shall move."

Evil could not be anything other than the result of man's belief. Observe the triad of the orient, "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil," whence it follows like the night the day, there then can be no evil.
    We must see evil as it really is, simply illusion, simply pain response, a wrong track taken, an experiment toward truth, but always illusion, a wraith-like ephemeral thing that dissipates like the fog at morning when it is denied.

Much Love
    Unity Consciousness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to truthseekerdan For This Post:

greybeard (12th July 2011)

5. Link to Post #1143
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

In one of my books I declare: God is dead. Long live God!

There is no escaping the intrinsic in the metaphysical realm, for it is the same in the physical universe. In the universe it is called the vacuum, the nothingness, zero. In metaphysics it is called The Source, All that Is, the infinite.

Emmanuel Kant seemed to sum this up in the Critiques as thesis, anti-thesis, synthesis. Did he imply the intrinsic in that discourse? To be honest, I am not sure.

The absolute surrounds us and suffuces us and enfolds us, there is no escaping it.

We did not create ourselves.

Only our image of self.

Peace

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

greybeard (12th July 2011), truthseekerdan (13th July 2011)

7. Link to Post #1144
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    In one of my books I declare: God is dead. Long live God!

There is no escaping the intrinsic in the metaphysical realm, for it is the same in the physical universe. In the universe it is called the vacuum, the nothingness, zero. In metaphysics it is called The Source, All that Is, the infinite.

Emmanuel Kant seemed to sum this up in the Critiques as thesis, anti-thesis, synthesis. Did he imply the intrinsic in that discourse? To be honest, I am not sure.

The absolute surrounds us and suffuces us and enfolds us, there is no escaping it.

Only our image of self.

Peace
    Yes Ernie that is the paradox
    Nothing has the ability to create it self yet we are God.
    We created the false self --ego---.
    Big mistake ----laughing

Seriously the ego has served its purpose, time to move on

Thanks again
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

8. Link to Post #1145
    Thanks

Only our image of self.

Peace
    Dear Ernie,

Let me share my understanding in regards to your thought, if I may. If you're referring here to 'our spiritual self', then that spirit or consciousness is or was not created. It has always been in existence as part(s) in unity of the whole Universal Consciousness that we humans call God. This 'Universal Consciousness Mind', projected (created) all the energy that we as humans form see and experience in this Physical Universe. Now, this physical body that is still energy at a lower vibration, is 'inhabited' by a fragment (spark) of 'your spiritual self' that is also known as 'your higher self', to experience this 3D reality.

Since the 3D realm is a holographic projection, you can say that this is a creation of our collective 'spiritual self consciousnesses', pretty much like a virtual game with characters and in this case human beings with egos. This is just a metaphorical comparison in order to be understood with the human mind. This is 'my shared truth' at this time, however, I totally understand if you don't agree with me on it.

Blessings and Much Love
    Last edited by truthseekerdan; 13th July 2011 at 00:36.
    Unity Consciousness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to truthseekerdan For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (13th July 2011), Marin (3rd September 2011), Star (18th July 2011)

10. Link to Post #1146
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 times in 239 posts

First I would meditate seriously on David hawkins insights on the subject:

- It is not an enemy to be attacked and defeated, nor is it an evil to be vanquished. It is dissolved by compassionate understanding.

- The ego confuses wants and needs and is impatient. It is constantly demanding and wanting. The very focal point and source of the ego […] is focused on survival. It's desires and wants are deemed to be essential because of the ego's beliefs about survival. The ego therefore has to 'get' or 'keep' and acquire because it views itself as separate and therefore dependent on external sources of supply. These may take the form of energy, attention, possessions, status, security, protection, image, money, gain, advantage, and power. Its primary view is lack, and with lack comes fear, need, greed, and even homicidal rage and threats. Fear is its motor.

- The real you is not the ego. Refuse to identify with it.

- The core of the ego is a rebellious anarchist, atheist, and exhibitionist that expects life to be an endless Roman orgy,

- The ego's basic illusion is that it is God and that without it, death would occur.

- See the ego as your pet. Befriend and understand it.

- Survival is me, ego, the animal is driven by hungryness, never enough, the core of the ego is wantingness. It wants more of everything, is greedy, desiring, insatiable, you cannot satisfy it. The average person is driven by this instinct, this primitivism. This is the basic nature of the ego, survival. Once you know that, you can have compassion for it [the ego] and treat it like a pet.

- The ego has an endless storehouse of prizes on which to feed. It greedily pounces
    on sentimentality,
    on the virtue of being right,
    on the prize of being the victim, or
    on the martyrdom of loss and sadness.
    It also offers the excitement of winning or gain as well as the pain of frustration.
    It offers the ego inflation of getting attention or sympathy. One can see that each emotion is, in and of itself, its own payoff

- The crux of the ego is its addiction to the juice of positionalities. You only have to focus on that one point. If you want to understand the ego, you have to understand the amoeba. The amoeba needs to get. The non-linear has a probe in linearity, and that's your ego. It's checking: Is this molecule good, is this one good? It's information processing. Before it gets invested in something, it checks it out. When we find out what about the ego is it that we need to surrender? It’s the experiencer. It's only the experiencing that matters ? it isn't even just the juice, it’s the experience of the juice.

- There's really only one thing you have to let go of. You don't have to give up any particular negativity or positionality. You just have to give up the payoff, the juice.
    Could you? Of course ? but would you? It's then a matter of will, but not human will, which is only as strong as your level of consciousness. It's only by surrender; now it's spiritual, Divine will.

Then on this:

"No want" is the greatest bliss. It can be realised only by experience. Even an emperor is no match for a man with no want. The emperor has got vassals under him. But the other man is not aware of anyone beside the Self. Which is better?

Become a no want person.

Overcoming the ego’s hold:
    1. Stop being offended.
    2. Let go of your need to win.
    3. Let go of your need to be right.
    4. Let go of your need to be superior.
    5. Let go of your need to have more.
    6. Let go of identifying yourself on the basis of your achievements.
    7. Let go of your reputation.

So to tame your ego, you need to stop relying on it. Don't give him any chance to get a hold on you. Let go everything.

The key is divine surrender : Leave everything in the hand of the creator. Not My Will, but Thine, Be Done. Let "it" decide for you, let the creator ink write thru you. Do not concern yourself with what you know or what you do not know.

Do not think about the past or the future; merely allow the creator's hands to write the surprises of the present on each new day.

Become a divine instrument, where the creator is just playing thru you.
    Last edited by Eternal_One; 13th July 2011 at 13:29.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eternal_One For This Post:

Carmen (16th July 2011), greybeard (13th July 2011), JoshuaM (14th July 2011), Star (18th July 2011)

12. Link to Post #1147
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

Dear Dan,

The self image I was referring to is the idea of self that we are all encouraged to manufacture. In this way we create ourselves and never realize that our Self is not ours to define. We are what we are, despite our best efforts to disguise our true selves under the cloak of the self image.

Peace

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Star (18th July 2011), truthseekerdan (15th July 2011)

14. Link to Post #1148
    Thanks

Dear Dan,

The self image I was referring to is the idea of self that we are all encouraged to manufacture. In this way we create ourselves and never realize that our Self is not ours to define. We are what we are, despite our best efforts to disguise our true selves under the cloak of the self image.

Peace
    Dear Ernie,

I did indeed realized that, however, my post was more generalized for all.
    Below is a quote that I saved some time ago from a blog, because it resonates with my understanding and heart intuition. Hope it will enlighten at least a few that read here. Much Love

"In spiritual work, we hear a lot about the so-called 'false self'. We may then decide, based on our new found information, to distance ourselves from this 'self', and look for something else we have heard of : the real 'Self'. This splitting of our 'selves', sad to say, becomes just another trap of the mind to keep us lost in the realm of thought. After some honest self-observation, we may see that we have invented a problem so that we might continue unabated in our love affair with thought. Fearing a loss of continuity of thought, which we equate with death, we enter a new 'spiritual' realm in which we can become lost for years, perhaps lifetimes. Let us take a look at this realm of thought and its various selves, and see why we worship it so, this paradox, this trap of mind and fear from which few escape."
    Unity Consciousness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to truthseekerdan For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (15th July 2011), Marin (3rd September 2011)

16. Link to Post #1149
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Devotion is the corner stone to all spiritual practice
    Dr Hawkins spent a life time in devotion and the desire to serve others
    A fine example to all.
    Even though he is in his 80s he has not lost his sense of humor as is evident from the video clip.
    He jokes about the state of enlightenment being non locational. (everywhere)
    He has said often that he his not actually in the body.
    That takes some believing but all accounts of that state that I have read, say the state is omni potent, omni present, time less and formless, eternal.
    We tend to believe that enlightened ones are pious saints, that is not the case as far as I understand it--- but they are Love.
    If all you see in the video is an old man than you are of course right.

Chris

Thanks Muz for the video-- any more that you fin feel free to post here.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Eternal_One (16th July 2011), Muzz (16th July 2011), Star (18th July 2011)

18. Link to Post #1150
    Thanks

Not to disappoint you Chris, but Dr. Hawkins reminds me of some charismatic religious preachers (that I wont mention here), that also have PhD's, and are very schooled into the mental stuff...
    Asking, "What is the Truth?" is a demolition project. Most of spirituality is a construction project. We're ascending and ascending.... It just keeps building, and a person feels, "I'm getting better and better." But enlightenment is a demolition project. Many people ask, "How do I integrate my spirituality into everyday life?" You don't. You can't. How could you integrate it? You can't stuff the infinite into your limited life.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...563#post261563
    Unity Consciousness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to truthseekerdan For This Post:

Eva2 (18th July 2011), Marin (3rd September 2011)

20. Link to Post #1151
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by truthseekerdan (here)
    Not to disappoint you Chris, but Dr. Hawkins reminds me of some charismatic religious preachers (that I wont mention here), that also have PhD's, and are very schooled into the mental stuff...
    Asking, "What is the Truth?" is a demolition project. Most of spirituality is a construction project. We're ascending and ascending.... It just keeps building, and a person feels, "I'm getting better and better." But enlightenment is a demolition project. Many people ask, "How do I integrate my spirituality into everyday life?" You don't. You can't. How could you integrate it? You can't stuff the infinite into your limited life.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...563#post261563
    Sorry Dan but you have a very limited knowledge of Dr H teachings.
    He is about removing obstacles- belief systems all concepts must go..
    Enlightenment is your true Self obstacles must go--- the teaching is not about adding it is about removing.
    The teaching is in line with Nasargadatta-- Ramesh -- Ramana-- Tolle and others that I have read over a thirty year period.
    You are welcome to your thoughts Dan for as you know in ultimate Truth there is only God which is unconditional Love that is why Hawkins starts and ends his talks with Gloria in Excelsus Deo.
    With humility and devotion Hawkins acknowledges God as Creator,

Chris
    Namaste

21. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Star (18th July 2011)

22. Link to Post #1152
    Language
    English
    Thanks

This is a short resume of Dr Hawkins Career.
    It speaks for itself.
    He is very clear that the mind will take you so far then the intellect is a barrier to further progress.

I dont follow a particular teacher but I am indebted to various teachers
    Chris

Dr. Hawkins entered the field of medicine to alleviate human pain and distress, and his work as a physician was pioneering. As Medical Director of the North Nassau Mental Health Center (1956-1980) and Director of Research at Brunswick Hospital (1968-1979) on Long Island, his clinic was the largest practice in the United States, including a suite of twenty-five offices, two thousand outpatients, and several research laboratories. In 1973, he co-authored the ground-breaking work, Orthomolecular Psychiatry with Nobel Laureate chemist Linus Pauling, initiating a new field within psychiatry.

His clinical breakthroughs brought appearances on The Today Show, The Barbara Walters Show and The Mcneil/Leher News Hour. In the 1970s, he co-founded several psychiatric organizations, including the Editorial Board of the Journal of Schizophrenia and the Attitudinal Healing Center in New York.

Many awards followed, such as The Huxley Award for the "Inestimable Contribution to the Alleviation of Human Suffering," Physicians Recognition Award by the American Medical Association, 50-Year Distinguished Life Fellow by the American Psychiatric Association, the Orthomolecular Medicine Hall of Fame, and a nomination for the prestigious Templeton Prize that honors progress in Science and Religion. In 1995, in a ceremony officiated by the H.H. Prince Valdemar of Schaumburg-Lippe at the San Anselmo Theological Seminary, he became a knight of the Sovereign Order of the Hospitaliers of St. John of Jerusalem (founded in 1077) in recognition of his contributions to humanity.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Star (18th July 2011)

24. Link to Post #1153
    Thanks

Chris, with all due respect you sound like worshipping D. H. He wont get you into "Heaven".
    Get rid of all of your illusions and what’s left is the truth. You don’t find truth as much as you stumble upon it when you have cast away your illusions. It is so important to be more hooked on the truth than on wanting to get rid of identity. So if you want to find out how openness relates to each moment, just go inside. Be that openness. Be that emptiness.

Quote Sorry Dan but you have a very limited knowledge of Dr H teachings.
    I know, however, some have more knowledge, and are letting others know how to protect themselves. Somebody posted this link in another thread:

http://www.spiritualteachers.org/david_hawkins.htm

Much Love and wisdom
    Unity Consciousness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

25. The Following User Says Thank You to truthseekerdan For This Post:

Eva2 (18th July 2011)

26. Link to Post #1154
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The Self of the Master is the same Self as the spiritual aspirant.

The Master knows this and even though they could leave this world
    remain to serve the ignorant (lacking knowledge of Truth) self.

The traditional teachings tended to have a linage as do the Red Indians

Hawkins says that a teacher may be respected but only God is to be devoted to.
    Devotion is the corner stone of traditional spiritual teaching.
    The God within the Guru was worshiped not the Guru--- there is a subtle but major difference,

In actual fact it is the search for Spiritual Truth that one devotes ones life to.

Not a personage.
    The teacher is the conduit through which the teaching comes.
    Eckhart Tolle confirms this also as does Rumi and all other sages I have read.
    The God with in the Guru, Sage, Master is the same God that is within all.

The teacher is respected.
    Respect is a form of love.
    The teacher serves the spiritual aspirant not the other way about.

Chris
    Last edited by greybeard; 17th July 2011 at 08:46.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Star (18th July 2011)

28. Link to Post #1155
    Language
    English
    Thanks

You could compare the energy of God to electricity and the person to a light bulb.
    Some light bulbs shine exceedingly bright some are dim.
    Same electricity.
    Whats the difference?
    In the 40watt bulb there is a lot of resistance.
    In the brilliant light bulb there is very little.

So we can resist the power of God or let it flow through.
    The enlightened one who is ego less is a clear channel for that power to flow.
    The ego sets up the degree of resistance.
    The enlightened light up the life of all (collective consciousness.)
    Yet Eckhart Tolle has likened enlightenment in this heavy density world to "graduating into kindergarten", it is only a start, yet seems complete.
    Eckhart also says that the ego begins the spiritual search because it thinks it is going to be an enlightened ego, there is no ego left at the end of it, and the ego being the person-- there is no person left to claim enlightenment.
    Chris

29. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Star (18th July 2011)

30. Link to Post #1156
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Mooji tells a joke

31. Link to Post #1157
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Science explaining M fields and human hierarchy
    Fits in with the various fields of consciousness.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (21st July 2011), Star (18th July 2011)

33. Link to Post #1158
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Papaji
    one of Ramana's "students" is some what reluctant at first however!!!!

http://www.avadhuta.com/

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

manny (17th July 2011), Star (18th July 2011)

35. Link to Post #1159
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Dear Chris,

I met Dr. Hawkins in 2003 while living in a spiritual community in Sedona near him. I was exposed to a video he made and one woman there was his secretary. Unfortunately, I had to leave and could not get to meet him in person. I did, however, order most of his books, in which he details the story of his enlightenment experience as a young child. It is in all the books I have. He has pioneered Kinesiology and the fact the the body/true Self does not lie and knows when lies are being told by his simple formula.

I think he was called to be a Teacher, who lives a very real life, has a sense of humor, and knows who he is. I like the way he talks about raising one's level of Consciousness and his books all have a tremendous amount of information on ego and ego transcendence among so many other things. I believe we are led to those teachers/teachings that speak to us individually. I believe the teachings of Eckhart Tolle in the Power of Now, which is really a way to transcend the ego, also taught by Krishnamurti, who taught without reference to God/Deity, but was saying the same thing. Thinking is the ego! Meditation is the key to entering the Void where all Truth lies and all Guidance. The still small voice that is not the ego which only reaches us through stillness/silence of the mind.

Thank you for all the fine posts here and for starting this thread. I have been busy on so many other threads, but I finally got here and wanted to add my 2 cents worth. Inevitably, IMHO, I need to let go of my teachers/teachings/training wheels/ and be still and listen to my own guidance. We are all part of the same Source, although there are many paths.

Love & Light,
    Star

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Star For This Post:

greybeard (18th July 2011)

37. Link to Post #1160
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star (here)
    Inevitably, IMHO, I need to let go of my teachers/teachings/training wheels/ and be still and listen to my own guidance. We are all part of the same Source, although there are many paths.
    Definitely when we understand ourselves, we understand truth. It is the personal psychological depths and meaning of reality that reveals the inner self to be at the center of non-self. Through non-self, the inner self and a broader universal state of consciousness are in complete and cooperative union.

Seek balance not perfection. Work for the good of the whole. Desire little and fear nothing. Everything we know is within us. Everything we are is within us. Everything we will be is within us. All that awaits us is within us right now in the present moment.

Love & Wisdom

Dan
    Unity Consciousness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to truthseekerdan For This Post:

crested-duck (8th August 2012), Marin (3rd September 2011), Star (19th July 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 431 FirstFirst 1 8 48 58 68 108 158 431 LastLast