+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 431 FirstFirst 1 40 80 90 100 140 190 431 LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 8616

Thread: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

1. Link to Post #1781
    UK Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,971 times in 881 posts

Default Re: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

Quote Posted by Wakytweaky (here)
    Hi Jenci,

Thanks for bringing this up Jeanette and since you brought this up voluntary, I hope that you don't mind me asking questions about this.
    It certainly is a subject that touches something that I have problems understanding with.

First of all:
    Do you still drink these days or where you talking about it in the past tense?
    Would you mind to elaborate about you having no choice but to drink? How does that work?
    Hi Waky,

I used the 'lost the power of choice' to quote from the Big Book of AA as I know that Chris would relate to this.

"The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into consciousness with sufficient force of memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink"

For the alcoholic to understand and admit that they have no choice but to drink - in other words they are completely powerless over alcohol - is the foundation Step 1 of the 12 step program of AA.

In terms of how it happened for me, it took at long time to fully realise this. I first walked into AA and said I was an alcoholic 10 years before I quit drinking. I spent 10 years either trying to control my drinking or quit and each and every attempt failed.

By the end of my drinking I absolutely loathed alcohol; the smell and taste was repulsive yet I was compelled to pour the stuff into my body however repulsive it was. When my drinking had reached this stage, it was a very dark place to be.

Each day was like groundhog day, throwing away whatever alcohol was left in the house down the sink, swearing off it forever and yet a few hours later out again to buy some more despite being gripped by fear and despising myself, knowing that I was going to have to go through the hell all over again.

One morning, the shame and the guilt of what I had done the night before as I got flashbacks to the blackout, quite literally floored me. I sat at the kitchen table, like I had done many times before, trying to work out how this time I would stop myself from drinking again. Yet instead of the usual plan and resolution for the day, my mind came to the conclusion that there was nothing I could do, and that I was going to drink again.

Feeling that dreadful shame and guilt of the night before and the fear of going through it all again, knowing that I was quite literally close to death, knowing that my young son was quite likely going to find me dead very soon and knowing that I had no choice and that I was going to still drink, was the most terrifying moment of my life!

My mind could not cope with this dilemma and just shut down. It was like a computer that crashes. It just stopped working. There was nothing, absolutely nothing going on.

I sat for a very long time at that table completely physically paralzyed, I couldn't move. "I" was gone. "I" was just not there anymore.

What had been the most terrifying moment of my life turned into the lifting of the veil. It wasn't any kind of fancy, mystical experience. I would just describe it as "nothing". Absolute nothing.

It was some time later before "I" came back and it took a while for me to be able to move my body again and to be able to speak. I had no idea what had happened but I knew with absolute certainty that I would never, ever drink again. The only reference I had for making sense of what had happened was that this had been done by God.

In the months that followed this, I sat for hours on end just in silence and staring into space. I knew what was happening was spiritual but I didn't understand the mechanics of it and it wasn't until I came across Tolle's book The Power of Now and read his experience that I understood what had happened with my mind; my mind, whose function is to problem solve, had been beaten by a problem it couldn't solve and in that had surrendered. In that surrender of the mind, I transcended it. The veil got lifted and I got to go beyond the mind.

Quote I've heard that addictions are not to be seen as something to get rid of on this path.
    Well I guess there are several ways of seeing this probably, but it sure is hard to grasp when you picture that with drugs that will destroy the body fast like crocodile or sniffing glue.
    I was an alcoholic before I picked up my first drink. My primary addiction was food....and that is a whole another story in itself but suffice to say that since that day, I have not drunk alcohol nor have I eaten the vast majority of foods.

There is just no desire for it any more but that was not the end of the addictions.

The same force which had compelled me to addictive behaviour all my life got transferred onto the spiritual search. The seeking spiritually became intense. Looking back now, with hindsight, I see that the alcohol addiction was exactly the same as the spiritual seeking. It was all one movement designed to take me home.

When I said a few posts ago that I have no choice about what is happening right now, that this river which is rushing back to its source and will sweep "me" out of the way, I am talking about the same movement which has been here all this life, which early on had manifested into addictions. These days it is just seen as that which is taking back me to Source and it is not resisted.

So in that, I can see why addictions play an important role in this path and are not something to "be got rid of" - it's all Grace......but also having said, that bear in mind that most people with addictions to substances will die from their addictions.

Quote There is someone here on the forum who uses the path of enlightenment and NLP at the same time. He says it has done wonders for himself and loved ones of his.
    In some way this seems weird to me, because this path is all about letting go of wanting to change the experience isn't it?
    I've come to the conclusion in all of this that no one is doing anything wrong! We are all doing exactly what we need to be doing at that time but that doesn't necessarily mean that we should all be doing what someone else is doing.

I have also learned that definitions of what enlightenment is about vary so sometimes we may be comparing apples and oranges.

For me the path to enlightenment is about going beyond the mind so any technique which involves the mind is not going to do that. The mind in some people can be eased and comforted and tamed into behaving in a more agreeable way but that's not what we discuss in this thread.

Quote Though I must admit that I don't like having in the house still, which tells me there are still hooks in it.
    Did you want to quit drinking or be cured off an addiction to it? I don't see how not wanting alcohol in the house is a problem. I don't have alcohol in my house and that does not make me any less sober than someone who has quit and can have it in the house.

On the subject of addictions, although I do believe they are all spiritual seeking at the heart of them, there is a physical component to them. For example an alcoholic's body physically reacts differently to alcohol to a normal drinker and it's important to understand this.

I see recovery from addiction as having a spiritual solution as also avoiding the physical reaction in the body by not consuming the substance. So I see no reason to test the physical by having the substance around to see if you have been cured.

Setting up a picnic on the side of a volcano is not the wisest move

Quote I have a personality that gets addicted to many things very easily (watching tv, computer games, reading, sweets, alcohol, gambling to name a few from the past) and I am finding out more about it every day. how it works and how and why I use these addictions to flee from the now.
    It's hard for me to understand why we must not seek to get rid of addictions that are damaging to us. I mean... I can see the logic in it, but when you put it to the extreme like I did with crocodile and glue sniffing.. does this logic still hold?
    Because getting rid of the addiction is something you do with the mind and puts attention on the mind whereas the addiction is the Grace which is taking you away from your mind.

So instead of giving the mind more attention in getting rid of the addiction, bring Awareness to the addiction itself. Of course, to do this you need to understand the difference between mind and Awareness......but then you do, Waky.

Jeanette

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jenci For This Post:

Anchor (22nd August 2012), another bob (18th August 2012), eaglespirit (23rd August 2012), Eram (18th August 2012), greybeard (18th August 2012), Karunai (26th August 2012), Mark (23rd August 2012), meeradas (23rd August 2012), RunningDeer (22nd August 2012), Shamz (21st August 2012), Sierra (23rd August 2012), Swan (22nd August 2012)

3. Link to Post #1782
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Jeanette and I have never met yet there is a close bond between us because we are both recovering alcoholics.

I would not wish addiction on anyone-- however it was the unmaking of me.
    No longer was my willpower seen as the answer to anything.
    It obviously did not work with my addiction to alcohol.
    My will power was nearly the death of me.

I had to learn enough humility to ask for help and then listen to the suggestions made through the 12 steps of AA.
    That was the beginning of the spiritual search.

I am indebted to the support received when I needed it.

Anyone reading this, if they think they have a problem with alcohol, go to an AA meeting.
    No shame in being an Alcoholic just a shame if you continue to suffer needlessly.

With love
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anchor (22nd August 2012), another bob (18th August 2012), Eram (18th August 2012), Jenci (18th August 2012), Mark (23rd August 2012), Reinhard (23rd August 2012)

5. Link to Post #1783
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,221 times in 2,274 posts

Quote Posted by Jenci (here)
    Quote Posted by Wakytweaky (here)
    Hi Jenci,

Thanks for bringing this up Jeanette and since you brought this up voluntary, I hope that you don't mind me asking questions about this.
    It certainly is a subject that touches something that I have problems understanding with.

First of all:
    Do you still drink these days or where you talking about it in the past tense?
    Would you mind to elaborate about you having no choice but to drink? How does that work?
    Hi Waky,

I used the 'lost the power of choice' to quote from the Big Book of AA as I know that Chris would relate to this.

"The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into consciousness with sufficient force of memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink"

For the alcoholic to understand and admit that they have no choice but to drink - in other words they are completely powerless over alcohol - is the foundation Step 1 of the 12 step program of AA.

In terms of how it happened for me, it took at long time to fully realise this. I first walked into AA and said I was an alcoholic 10 years before I quit drinking. I spent 10 years either trying to control my drinking or quit and each and every attempt failed.

By the end of my drinking I absolutely loathed alcohol; the smell and taste was repulsive yet I was compelled to pour the stuff into my body however repulsive it was. When my drinking had reached this stage, it was a very dark place to be.

Each day was like groundhog day, throwing away whatever alcohol was left in the house down the sink, swearing off it forever and yet a few hours later out again to buy some more despite being gripped by fear and despising myself, knowing that I was going to have to go through the hell all over again.

One morning, the shame and the guilt of what I had done the night before as I got flashbacks to the blackout, quite literally floored me. I sat at the kitchen table, like I had done many times before, trying to work out how this time I would stop myself from drinking again. Yet instead of the usual plan and resolution for the day, my mind came to the conclusion that there was nothing I could do, and that I was going to drink again.

Feeling that dreadful shame and guilt of the night before and the fear of going through it all again, knowing that I was quite literally close to death, knowing that my young son was quite likely going to find me dead very soon and knowing that I had no choice and that I was going to still drink, was the most terrifying moment of my life!

My mind could not cope with this dilemma and just shut down. It was like a computer that crashes. It just stopped working. There was nothing, absolutely nothing going on.

I sat for a very long time at that table completely physically paralzyed, I couldn't move. "I" was gone. "I" was just not there anymore.

What had been the most terrifying moment of my life turned into the lifting of the veil. It wasn't any kind of fancy, mystical experience. I would just describe it as "nothing". Absolute nothing.

It was some time later before "I" came back and it took a while for me to be able to move my body again and to be able to speak. I had no idea what had happened but I knew with absolute certainty that I would never, ever drink again. The only reference I had for making sense of what had happened was that this had been done by God.

In the months that followed this, I sat for hours on end just in silence and staring into space. I knew what was happening was spiritual but I didn't understand the mechanics of it and it wasn't until I came across Tolle's book The Power of Now and read his experience that I understood what had happened with my mind; my mind, whose function is to problem solve, had been beaten by a problem it couldn't solve and in that had surrendered. In that surrender of the mind, I transcended it. The veil got lifted and I got to go beyond the mind.

Quote I've heard that addictions are not to be seen as something to get rid of on this path.
    Well I guess there are several ways of seeing this probably, but it sure is hard to grasp when you picture that with drugs that will destroy the body fast like crocodile or sniffing glue.
    I was an alcoholic before I picked up my first drink. My primary addiction was food....and that is a whole another story in itself but suffice to say that since that day, I have not drunk alcohol nor have I eaten the vast majority of foods.

There is just no desire for it any more but that was not the end of the addictions.

The same force which had compelled me to addictive behaviour all my life got transferred onto the spiritual search. The seeking spiritually became intense. Looking back now, with hindsight, I see that the alcohol addiction was exactly the same as the spiritual seeking. It was all one movement designed to take me home.

When I said a few posts ago that I have no choice about what is happening right now, that this river which is rushing back to its source and will sweep "me" out of the way, I am talking about the same movement which has been here all this life, which early on had manifested into addictions. These days it is just seen as that which is taking back me to Source and it is not resisted.

So in that, I can see why addictions play an important role in this path and are not something to "be got rid of" - it's all Grace......but also having said, that bear in mind that most people with addictions to substances will die from their addictions.

Quote There is someone here on the forum who uses the path of enlightenment and NLP at the same time. He says it has done wonders for himself and loved ones of his.
    In some way this seems weird to me, because this path is all about letting go of wanting to change the experience isn't it?
    I've come to the conclusion in all of this that no one is doing anything wrong! We are all doing exactly what we need to be doing at that time but that doesn't necessarily mean that we should all be doing what someone else is doing.

I have also learned that definitions of what enlightenment is about vary so sometimes we may be comparing apples and oranges.

For me the path to enlightenment is about going beyond the mind so any technique which involves the mind is not going to do that. The mind in some people can be eased and comforted and tamed into behaving in a more agreeable way but that's not what we discuss in this thread.

Quote Though I must admit that I don't like having in the house still, which tells me there are still hooks in it.
    Did you want to quit drinking or be cured off an addiction to it? I don't see how not wanting alcohol in the house is a problem. I don't have alcohol in my house and that does not make me any less sober than someone who has quit and can have it in the house.

On the subject of addictions, although I do believe they are all spiritual seeking at the heart of them, there is a physical component to them. For example an alcoholic's body physically reacts differently to alcohol to a normal drinker and it's important to understand this.

I see recovery from addiction as having a spiritual solution as also avoiding the physical reaction in the body by not consuming the substance. So I see no reason to test the physical by having the substance around to see if you have been cured.

Setting up a picnic on the side of a volcano is not the wisest move

Quote I have a personality that gets addicted to many things very easily (watching tv, computer games, reading, sweets, alcohol, gambling to name a few from the past) and I am finding out more about it every day. how it works and how and why I use these addictions to flee from the now.
    It's hard for me to understand why we must not seek to get rid of addictions that are damaging to us. I mean... I can see the logic in it, but when you put it to the extreme like I did with crocodile and glue sniffing.. does this logic still hold?
    Because getting rid of the addiction is something you do with the mind and puts attention on the mind whereas the addiction is the Grace which is taking you away from your mind.

So instead of giving the mind more attention in getting rid of the addiction, bring Awareness to the addiction itself. Of course, to do this you need to understand the difference between mind and Awareness......but then you do, Waky.

Jeanette

This is a keeper (and I don't say that casually, having only filed perhaps two or three other posts since I've been here).

Deep bows to you, Sister, for this exceptional revelation!

6. Link to Post #1784
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Science and Spirituality Earth Magnetism Human Body.

A David Sereda interview on Coast to Coast AM
    Its in several parts but this is the first.
    He talks of possible changes in DNA, raising of consciousness, Pole Shift.
    Very positive.
    There is a lot of information on this talk.
    Chris

Part two

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pG5LZ...eature=related

https://youtube.com/watch?v=U1pmg...feature=relmfu

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZNOLF...feature=relmfu
    Last edited by greybeard; 18th August 2012 at 21:31.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anchor (22nd August 2012), another bob (18th August 2012), Eram (19th August 2012), Jenci (18th August 2012), Karunai (18th August 2012), wynderer (19th August 2012), Zampano (28th August 2012)

8. Link to Post #1785
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

When you handed me the radical insight about dealing with dark attachments that travel to our loved ones when we release them, I kind of suspected that you must have looked deep into the abyss at a certain stage of your life Jeanette.

Thank you for sharing that here.
    The hairs on my arms and legs where standing up straight while reading your story.

Quote My mind could not cope with this dilemma and just shut down. It was like a computer that crashes. It just stopped working. There was nothing, absolutely nothing going on.
    One time... a few years ago... I went to the bathroom during a film me and my dad where watching in the cinema.
    When I returned, I walked into the theatre and suddenly I doubted that I was in the right theatre and then panic and the need for control jumped in and before I knew it... everything went blanc. I didn't even know who I was, or where I was... I didn't know words even.
    The moment didn't last long, because instead of staying relaxed, I reached for the control mechanisms and tried as hard as I could to get everything back into place. And it did, as did the thoughts.

Control neuroses, fear of failure, a short fuse and feeling powerless might be my cocktail for such a set up in the future... who knows.

In the mean time there is nothing more to do then focus, exercise and watch every move the mind makes like a hawk.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

Anchor (22nd August 2012), another bob (19th August 2012), greybeard (19th August 2012), Jenci (20th August 2012), meeradas (23rd August 2012)

10. Link to Post #1786
    Language
    English
    Thanks

This is from a book I wrote, unpublished--unedited.
    Chris

Relationships

There is as saying “ Eventually I became so successful that my partner could afford to divorce me and took all the money”
    How does that come about?
    Men, some women too, tend to get fixated on “The Project” The project can take on many forms, it could be or a hobby or work or both.
    The me is always reaching out for something in the future its goal orientated and looking for something to complete me to make me happy, to be some one. Its never happy in the present moment so rarely is the me content with what is.

There is the thought that when I find the right partner I will be fulfilled, she or he will make me happy. That’s an unreal expectation and besides if the source of your happiness is external to you, then in a very subtle way you are giving that outside source control over you through your emotions wants and needs. You meet the seemingly ideal partner you can tick all the boxes on your desire list. That called falling in love.

At the start you only have eyes for the other half, no time for projects, then after a while the projects start to beckon, the relationship starts to be routine, the aliveness, freshness, diminished, a pattern established.

When the realisation comes that love we feel for another is not actually dependent on the other but love that emerges within ourselves and is inherent within all human form then there is no sense of loss of identity if the relationship goes through a difficult patch.
    There is no longer a feeling of being wronged to carrying the poor me story to anyone who will listen.

There can be a very strong love affair with the me story, “Look what happened to me” Our whole identity seems taken up with the story of what happened.
    Looking in from the outside it can be seen that most relationships are dysfunctional but they survive.
    Why?
    Because there is pay value in that kind of a relationship.
    The people involved in it would not see it or agree that they are getting something out of the constant bickering fighting making up cycle.
    This is why.
    There is the addiction to the adrenalin high from the argument, the opportunity to prove im right your wrong and if all else fails I might hit you. “Well he or she deserved it” is the justifying of it.

With every addiction there is a low after the high and of course its so unbearable to be in the low that the high is once more sought.
    That might be through the seeking to make love after a fight.
    The ego is very cunning and will go to great length to get its own way even to the point of seeming to apologizing, saying “im sorry dear it was my fault it wont happen again”

Of course after the high of the make up, the love making, then of course it all happens again, it could not be otherwise.
    Life has got flat in the routine of it, no sense of being alive, of being me, no enemy to make me feel strong.
    There is need of the adrenalin high and things have got kind off quiet, boring even. It’s a bit like the expression used by Nurses “Flat liners” that’s when the peaks and troughs on the heart monitor cease and all that’s left is a flat line, the patient is deceased.
    So the cycle begins gain. The little me feels big and powerful when filled with adrenalin during the fight.
    There is a strong egoic sense of identity in any drama.

Yes there are times when your spouse may not even like you far less love you. How do we best handle that situation?
    By allowing it to be, that’s how.
    There is enormous power for change in allowing.
    Our partner has every right to express any emotion that she or he may have.
    By accepting that right and allowing that emotion, freedom arises, for its ok not to be liked or loved for that matter.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    The moment that we accept that, not everyone or anyone can love us or like us all of the time then we are free of the pain that all kinds of relationships can cause.
    We are no longer dependent on the external to prove to us that we are lovable.
    When this is known peace of mind follows, you are laid back, you are easy to be with, and on the level of form you become very attractive, not that that matters.
    You are also happy to be with you no reaching out for the next moment “to make me happy” Happiness comes from within.

We have a preconceived notion of what the role of our spouse is and of course what our role in the relationship is too. If our strongest role models ie our parents had a good relationship then chances are good that we will too.
    Men see themselves as the bread winners and their woman as the bread maker.
    There are boundaries “You do that, this is what I do.”

We all need our partner to be there for us to listen fully, to be present.
    The biggest thing you can do for another is to be fully present, particularly when you are with your partner, leaving your own agenda aside.
    Couples rarely really listen intently to each other. When the relationship ceases to meet your need to be fulfilled as a person then an obsession with work or hobby might start to take up so much time that there is little space is left for your partner.
    “Well at least I know who I am when I’m at work” How often have we heard people say that.
    So quarrels arise, both feel that they are neglected.
    The male feels that he deserves better treatment and after all dosent he work hard to support the family.
    The female is not too concerned about the money her man makes only that she works hard in the house and he is never there to give a helping hand.
    “Wouldn’t it be nice if he cooked the evening meal once and a while?” she says to her friends who are in a similar situation.
    The good thing is that when we are open it becomes possible to see our partner and their actions and attitudes in an entirely different context. NLP calls this reframing.
    We could say we picture it differently.
    See the other person’s point of view as if we are them.

It is also said that the other reflects back, mirrors part of us. So if our partner has aspects to their personality that we are none to fond of.
    Could it be that we have similar character traits that we deny?
    Our partner may push our buttons and we then say things and do things that we regret or justify later.
    “That’s not like me” may be a passing thought. Whatever arises come up to be recognised accepted and let go of.
    Without the buttons being pressed this blessing could not happened. So in a way our partner is to be thanked for bringing this into our awareness.

You will know that you have made real spiritual progress when a button is pressed and there is no knee jerk reaction from you.
    You are immune but not indifferent. It’s not a “I couldn’t care less what you say or do” attitude.
    It’s a state of non-judgmental love.
    The situation is as it is.
    As this begins to emerge in you the amazing thing is that your partner begins to change, if they are ready for change.
    Through total non judgmental acceptance of your partner and others the energy of love can bring about a raising of spiritual vibration and with that occurrence, their perspective changes, they see things including you in a different light.
    Let “You’re not the person I married” be a compliment rather than an observation of decline.

The Divine can be brought into all aspects of your relationship including love making.
    The path of Tantric is valid. It’s not within the scope of this book to go into that, there are many spiritual books on the subject but you have to be selective in what you buy.

Everything in this word from the plant realm to the human realm came into being through interaction between male and female of the species, God created it that way.
    Having a partner who is on the same spiritual or similar path to yours is a blessing. Having one who is not is also a blessing, they will be better at pushing your buttons perhaps.

The most important relationship of course is your personal relationship with Source/God and that is not an easy one at times either.
    There comes a moment when awareness of Divine Love happens, it is not really describable but you will know it. Then the spiritual search starts in earnest, it’s as though you have tasted amirit the wine of the gods and nothing else will do. Human love is wonderful and of course has its very important place in the scheme of things but it is rarely unconditional or completely fulfilling. We will wander off into unconditional love for a moment.

A friend, a woman spoke of her unconditional love for her son, it came to mind and mind loves a story.
    What if there had been a mix up at the maternity ward soon after birth and by mistake her child was given to another and vice versa. What then if years latter the accident was discovered and her “real” son appeared into her life, what then.
    I think the lady in the story would have been big enough to accept and love both “sons”.
    Children all belong to God we are just the the channel through which they materialse in to form.
    So yes we have responsibility for them but we don’t own them.

So what is unconditional love.
    If there is any sense of ownership, attachment, mine me in there agenda then there is a condition to that love no matter how small its there therefore it is not unconditional.

A well known story told to the best of my memory. Two Indian squaws claimed this particular infant as their offspring. The council said, well take an arm each and pull the child towards you and the stronger of the two will win. The women started to pull and the child began to howl as though he was being physically torn apart with these women pulling in opposite directions. In moments one could stand the child’s pain no more and gave up the struggle and just let go.
    The council members decided she must be the real mother as only such love could put the child before her desire to have him. Is that unconditional love? I don’t know but it comes pretty close. When you love another enough to let them go that’s an indicator of uncondional love. Sel-ish is the opposite because self is involved.

In the bible it says that God is a jealous God, what does that mean?
    It may be that what God said to have said meant “Get your priorities right” put no one ahead of your relationship with God, beside you yes. An equal partner yes.

So, one challenge that can arrive related to and in the relationship with God.
    Commonly referred to as the “Dark night of the Soul”
    On finding God as an experience not second-hand, not completely describable, there is quite often a period of bliss, that may last moments or days, however when it, this feeling, goes there is a vacuum created, (this may no happen for some time) a great emptiness, a sadness, sense of great loss, grief.
    These are only words but when it happens it is unbearable, you just want to be home with God.
    This has to be overcome too and can take time. It may recur from time to time but it is a sign of growth, painful though it is.
    A stepping stone if you will.
    At this time it is good if you have a partner or friend capable of unconditional love and understanding.
    You may be temporarily incapable of accepting or giving human love at this time but this too shall pass.

Something also that needs to be addressed is that having experienced the love of God then human love can/may seem pale and lacking by comparison.
    All I can say is that all love is of God and to let go of comparing.
    Just be in the moment and whatever form love takes be happy for that.
    Could be your pet showing even more affection than usual, they know.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (19th August 2012), Beren (19th August 2012), Eram (19th August 2012), Heart-2-Heart (20th August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (20th August 2012), Mark (23rd August 2012), Zampano (28th August 2012)

12. Link to Post #1787
    Thanks

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    This is from a book I wrote, unpublished--unedited.... All I can say is that all love is of God and to let go of comparing.
    Thanks so much, Chris! I'd love to read more of your book, whenever you feel like posting! Putting our thoughts and experiences to paper is a great way of sharing the process of awakening in our lives, especially helpful for those at a distance who don't have the luxury of face-to-face relationship. Good job!

13. Link to Post #1788
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thanks for the kind words Bob.
    I will post a bit at a time.
    Chris

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (20th August 2012), Eram (20th August 2012), Jenci (20th August 2012), Mark (23rd August 2012)

15. Link to Post #1789
    Language
    English
    Thanks

A book by Chris (greybeard)

This is a book I wrote but never published, its unedited so it is as it is
    comments will be welcome.
    Chris

Page 1

The question “Who am I?” in various guises has plagued man since he learned to think. The essence of the answer is in the question. The answer is simply I.
    I am the “One” without second without another. I can without fear of disagreement say “I exist”.
    That is so simple it’s hard to take in, hard to accept.
    It is not possible to completely understand through thought.
    The problem began with thinking.
    That sounds very philosophical.
    Yet it is simple.
    An animal know exactly what it is without knowing its called a dog cat or what ever label seems appropriate to us. The animal doesn’t need to know what type of animal it is and in a way neither do we.
    The animal just knows what we have forgotten.
    It is aware that it “is” without a CV (job description of any kind).
    It just goes about its business living life to the full without a though of past or future in its head.
    We can do that too.

The book sets out to explore that possibility

¤=[Post Update]=¤

The Book

When it came to mind to write this book I wondered what I could possibly say that has not been said so well by so many writers that I respect and have learned from.
    There is nothing new, the Truth is eternal, unchanging. Everything in the book is therefore second hand, though I have had, new to me, insights in the writing of it.

Thousands of years ago the Truth was told by enlightened beings, Jesus the Buddha, Krishna, Mohamed and no doubt others. Religions were founded on these teachings and sometimes Truth got buried in translation or in the telling of it, words are so inadequate. The teachers rather than the teaching became worshiped.
    Honor respect all but only God or Source if you prefer that word, is to be devoted to.
    The Buddha said put no head above your own, Jesus said you will do this and even greater things, he was not claiming specialness or to be unique, he was pointing to, showing the way back home for all, through his own personal experience.
    The core of the Truth is to be found in all religions. They all say Love God and your fellow man, surrender to the will of God

It occurred to me that in the early days on the spiritual path I had picked up many misunderstandings due in the main to my conditioning, my idea of the attributes and attitudes of a spiritual seeker, which was the identity I had formed of myself at that time, for example.
    Non attachment meant to me that I had to avoid at, all cost, material things. No, not the case, later I learned I could have abundance, just not mind if this did not materialized, arrive in my life and if it did to welcome it, just not to mind if it dematerialized, disappeared.
    Also the phrase “I make plans and God laughs” was taken to mean not to plan at all, “just a futile thing to do”.
    No I misunderstood, what it simply means is that, I can plan and should do so, if that is my choice, but not to be concerned if I don’t get my way. The effort is my part, the end result is best left to God. No doubt God has a better end result in mind anyway.

Humor takes the edge off so called failure to achieve.

There was also the belief that I had to be holy, sit cross legged on every possible occasion, perhaps be celibate, impress others, with my spiritual knowledge or lack of it. In other words the ego was coming in the back door with the new identity of a spiritual seeker.

What has been written or said by anyone is not Truth, the moment something is put in to words it is a concept and therefore not the Truth. The words can only point to the truth and in this case it is my perception, my viewpoint of Truth. My wish is that the book will be helpful as a pointer to forming your own perceptive. Which of course the reader will let go of, when it has served its purpose.

Ultimately all belief systems concepts must go. First, though, there may be a path to take, a process to go through before the stage of letting go can successfully be attained.

So to the book.

If you are sitting comfortable it begins.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

The Beginning

There is nothing in this world but atoms in movement even the table is composed of atoms in movement. Anything that moves and everything in this world is composed of atoms and without exception, is alive, living. That life is what we are. “ Consciousness/awareness”.

The absolute spiritual truth is, only God is. I am that I am.

We are all waves of the Divine ocean. Like the wave we appear to be an individual event we arise we subside back into Source, in truth we are a part of the Divine ocean not apart from That which is eternal.

There are two types of energy, manifest & un manifest. That which we are has manifest from the un manifest to take up temporary form which we identify with, has a name, certain characteristics, persona, a life span.

In order for the play of consciousness to take place in its present form we have an ego which is a separation device. There is the illusion of, me and a that, subject and object, in other words me and the other.

Of course in our perception it may appear that the other is the cause of our joy and misery. That’s the ego at work. The ego loves drama. In reality we are pure consciousness, the soul unaffected by the actors in the play. It appears in spiritual terms that the soul is evolving through perhaps many life times but in truth the soul is pristine untouched by the ups and downs that are part & parcel of this world.

One could say that conscious is evolving into its self. However anything that any spiritual teacher imparts is a concept and therefore can only point to the truth, a sign post if you will.

For some fortunate souls God begins to dissolve the ego from birth through His grace. Grace is not something that can be earned.
    However we can do our part by working towards, preparing the ground so to speak.
    Its not that God has a plan for us, as an individual entity, we have the freedom to align our selves with Divine will or otherwise, you could say there is a master plan which relates to the whole cosmos which obviously we are part of.
    Its not that God wants us to suffer or causes suffering that is the province of the egoist mind. Shakespeare said “Nothing is good or bad till thinking makes it so.”
    Because the egos last resort is special ness it will go any length to create that feeling of special ness even if creates massive problems in our life. Who would I be without my problems? Our favorite subject is me. “Do you know what happened to me”?
    Well let me tell you. Then the “me story” will be told with great enthusiasm and drama. It might be a happy entertaining success story or a tale of woe with much hand wringing. We all love a story well told but basically they all have elements of fiction and that’s ok as long as you don’t take your own story too seriously.
    It (the ego) can lead you into situations where you embark on a course of action, that in hind sight you can see that the end result was virtually inevitable. It seemed a good idea at the time, is a good way of looking at it.
    Ill health follows neglect of the body. Relation ships go awry for many reasons but this can all be traced back to the ego.
    Many commit financial suicide with the master card. The ego reaches out for the future, for the unaffordable. The present moment so boring, lets spice it up with a new “toy”.
    As a male I can put my hand up to this statement. “Boys never grow up the toys just get more expensive”.
    People take part in potentially dangerous pastimes, getting high from climbing a sheer rock face (the pun is intended) being just one example and at the level of form that may well be a grand thing to do. Life is for living. When in a tricky situation the mind becomes one pointed, we use the expression single minded, there is then clarity of thought, right action happens, the higher mind has saved the day.

There are many paradoxes in spiritual books, on the one hand one is responsible for ones own spiritual progress, on the other hand, our free will in situations, events we can say yes or no to, is severely limited by our conditioning, genes, karma, more on Karma later.

The actor in the play is free to express the words, portray the part in any way he chooses but must convey the essence of character as conceived by the creator of the play. Not much room for maneuver you may say.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (21st August 2012), Eram (21st August 2012), Heart-2-Heart (21st August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (21st August 2012), Mark (23rd August 2012)

17. Link to Post #1790
    UK Deactivated
    Thanks

That's very good, thank you Chris.

Jeanette

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jenci For This Post:

another bob (21st August 2012), Eram (21st August 2012), greybeard (21st August 2012), Mark (23rd August 2012)

19. Link to Post #1791
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Some wise man said.
    God wrote the play
    God produced the play
    God directed the play
    God is the actor in the play
    God is the witness of the play

Jesus said “Of my self I do nothing The Father within is the doer”
    However, I must act as though I have complete free will.
    In time as the spiritual evolution of the personal self occurs right action happens anyway.

Through surrender to God, Source no new karma is created.
    The spiritual intention is to remind one self that with out God I am helpless.
    If you think you are in complete control of your life try stopping breathing for a few minutes and see what happens

The ego would of course have it otherwise.

Edge God Out. The “little me” wants to be in control of life.
    The ego is just self identifying with the me story in the head.
    A translation of the word devil in the Bible could be the word ego.
    The devil made me do it. How often have we heard that said?
    Sin, another misunderstood concept, is just not coming up to the mark, not doing the best that we are capable of.

Nothing happens in isolation, so without the other waves of the ocean no thing can happen in this world.
    The other waves are Divinity expressing itself in that unique and individual form.

The ego says. “Truly I am all that matters I am unique, special and always know best.
    The ego is a separation device which says I am different from all else.
    In simplicity the ego is a jumble of thoughts given value by buying into the story in the head.
    I am this, I am that. Total identification with the story invariably results in an unhappy me and that’s the way the ego likes it to be.
    Drama, Drama

In order to strengthen apparent uniqueness the ego is constantly looking for differences. Nothing the ego enjoys more than being right and by inference if I am right some other is wrong therefore I am superior and special.
    It will go to great lengths to prove the other wrong; all wars have been fought over this.

On the personal level most relationships are at times a battle ground.
    At a wedding the best man was heard to say in his speech “I was going to give the groom a present of this book, “How to gain the upper hand in marriage”, but my wife wouldn’t let me. Everyone but his wife laughed.

First the honeymoon period where all is almost a state of euphoria.
    Hopes so high.
    “ At last I have found the one to make me happy.” This can quickly deteriorate into. You said, you promised, you didn’t.
    From the state of oneness, marital bliss, the closeness evaporates into various forms of separation. Why? Probably because expectations were not met, also the I’m right your wrong, syndrome begins.
    The fallout, the kiss and make up.
    Its all going according to the program.
    The ego says play it again Sam.
    The argument of today is very similar to the replay of the last disagreement and so it goes on till awareness of what is going on arises, then through this, the likelihood of change comes about.
    There is no situation which enough love can’t solve. Awareness is love and in that awareness things change, solutions suggest themselves, personal agenda goes and everything is seen in a different light.

The ego developed as human beings evolved. In the early years it was a great asset, absolutely necessary to the survival of the human race. The basic need had to be met regarding food water procreation shelter. We had to have judgment in order to know what was edible inedible safe unsafe what suited what didn’t, duality was born, we eventually lost our connection with Source. So judgmental, so caught up in being something someone and the only way we could be something / someone was to judge our fellow beings as not equal to us, as somehow different. Woe betide you if you disagreed, people were killed, rape and pillage the norm in the early days and still going on in many places in the world.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Intelligence has evolved but one could say now we are cleverer at killing each other, the club has long been replaced by weapons of mass destruction. Insane! The only winner was the ego. We became spiritually asleep.
    Jesus on the cross said as his last words “God forgive them for they know not what they do”. He could have added. They are spiritually asleep.

The good news is that the human race has come to a point in its evolution where many people are waking up, spiritually. Consciousness is rising, because The Totality, God wants that to happen.
    The being who is fully connected, not separate, with Divine source in the state of enlightenment, can say with authority. I am the totality all of it.
    That is the potential of every human being fully realized.
    In India the enlightened sage is known as “the great enjoyer” He lives in a true state of freedom.
    Is it possible to enlighten yourself?
    Probably not but you can prepare for the grace of God and in the process make life a lot easier for oneself and others.
    Krishna Murty an Indian sage said. Do you want to know my secret? Obviously his audience did. He said “I don’t mind what happens”
    Similarly Jesus said “I have overcome the world”.
    Overcoming of the world, “The peace that knows no understanding” comes through acceptance of what is.
    Only acceptance of what arises now is necessary.
    There is never a problem now. Challenges may arise but the ability to handle it also arises when we fully accept the “is ness” of it.
    There is a beautiful saying. We never get sent more in one day than we can handle. Its true.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (21st August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (21st August 2012), Mark (23rd August 2012)

21. Link to Post #1792
    Thanks

Some wise man said.
    God wrote the play
    God produced the play
    God directed the play
    God is the actor in the play
    God is the witness of the play

http://feelingtoinfinity.wordpress.c...-curtain-call/

22. Link to Post #1793
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Potential

All life forms come into being with potential that is unique to them with certain limitations & many advantages.
    The chicken is not going to fly like an eagle.
    The hen’s egg has the potential to become a chicken assuming it has the right environment, the mother hens warmth, to incubate the egg, being one of the major factors, for that event to happen.
    The emerging chick has the potential to lay eggs become a mother or end up Kentucky fried.
    The egg also has potential to end up on the breakfast table in a variety of ways, fried poached boiled. Whatever the end result the egg has fulfilled its potential.
    Similarly human beings have there own unique personal potential along with the potential common to us all to find the answer to the question “Who am I” and that question and answer to that is the only thing that is ultimately important.

When we are born, we come into this world with a spiritual vibration, a starting point for this life time’s evolution of consciousness. However like the egg there may be certain limitations placed upon us, but it’s a great blessing to come into human form particularly at this time regardless of these.
    For one thing we don’t arrive with an instruction book for our parents. So if our Mother (our first teacher) had good parents then the chance is, that will reflect in our confidence level, the way we interact with the world and many other things.
    We arrive with the ability and potential to be sad, happy, angry considerate all the variety of emotions from not loving to loving. Not that real love is an emotion it’s more a way of being in the world.
    Where we are born, DNA, genes, our culture, some would say our birth sign all these factors influence us greatly.
    We become conditioned by schooling, events in our life. Coping mechanisms developed to see us through the day. Some people are fortunate and have a wide variety of ways of reacting to the ups and downs of life, others not so. Regardless the potential is within every one to evolve spiritually to grow to transcend.

The spiritual path is very practical.
    There is amazing power and peace in the ability to surrender to what is, to what arises in this moment, the eternal moment, the present, the only moment there ever is. What ever arises “it is” and can’t be changed, however our reaction can be. There can be a knee jerk reaction which basically says “This shouldn’t be!” rapidly followed by action coming from our programming or right action coming out of acceptance of what is.

The vicissitudes of life are gifts sent to us so that we can exercise our spiritual muscle. Transcend whatever has materialized.
    Time being we need the duality of this world. How otherwise could we learn to be compassionate without the misfortune of others? At some point in evolution of mankind we will be kind & loving without even being aware that we are.

Shakespeare said “Assume a virtue and it’s yours” so it is good to practice kindness to all life, including your own, no matter what.

It would seem we have the ability to attract into our lives what we give out. So it is practical to be generous kind loving. These action of them selves are the reward, the joy of giving, not looking for any return but that seems too materialized of its own accord. Like to like, one could say.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Life force

We all have an energy, a life force, so do volcanoes and all things in nature.
    Life force is not to be confused with spiritual energy vibration though it is not separate from it. One may have a high life force and low spiritual resonance. Dictators would fit into that criteria.

Spiritual teachers will say that all is perfection in this class room called the world.
    How can they justify such a statement when there is so much misery pain and suffering present on earth? Well they don’t condone it just accept that that is the way it is and take action where possible in line with their function in this world. A saying comes to mind. Your worst enemy is your best friend. What does that mean? Hitler could have said to have been the enemy of freedom.
    Many were incarcerated in prison camps, millions lost their life through his megalomania. He was extremely charismatic, he deluded his country men (and probably himself) into thinking war was in the best interest of his country. A classic example of high energy life force used for negative purpose. Yet through that horrendous war many on both sides had and took the opportunity to excel in deeds of bravery compassion and love for their fellow man. Many rose to the occasion and gave their lives for a higher purpose in pursuit of lasting peace. Many turned to God who would not have otherwise done so. Stories of people in the Concentration camps giving their last piece of bread to some one less fortunate than themselves abound.

Through the prayers of many a lifting of global spiritual energy came about. Science forced to come up with even more powerful weapons of destruction created technology that moved on the development of many a peace time aid to travel and comfort in the home. Engines for airplanes improved dramatically, car and boat design. Nuclear power came about, maybe that is a mixed blessing, who knows There were many benefits from the war, downside too.

Nature appears to be violent at times too but is that necessarily so?
    The volcano long asleep stirs into activity, much devastation occurs. Orange groves decimated. Yet when all has settled new growth appears and the oranges have a renewed fertile environment in which to flourish. That is just the cycle of life. The word God could stand for. Generation. Order.
    Dissolution.

Forrest fires occur as a result of long dry spells it would now seem that an occasional forest fire is necessary for the well being of the forest long term.
    So, coming back to human life force. Life force is related to our physical, emotional mental health and so it is important to maintain your health to the best of your ability.
    Taking vitamins, good organic food, exercise play a part in our well being.

Martial arts came about from the understanding of energy forces which originally were harnessed to ward of the demon of ill health. Tai Chi and Qui Gong practice flourishes to this day. There are hospital in China dedicated solely to Medical Qui Gong. Patients are given movements to perform that release stagnant energy from the body and to increase the flow of health giving energy to the part of the body that is not functioning as it should. Bio energy practioners and exponents of other therapies in the West are trained to release energy blockages so that the immune system, which is amazing, can restore good health.

Why does healing not work for all?

The intention of any healer using any healing modality and any Dr is to promote good health.
    It may be that there is not a potential within that person for healing at that time, this may well change. There is always something positive to be found in even the direst situation that can be learned from.

It is possible that the patient is in acceptance of the illness after all he or she gets a lot of attention from others as a result of this. Their partner may be suffering in different way. Ill people can be very demanding expecting everything to be done for them even things that they could do for themselves. Co dependency is one label for it. There are many situations where a partner relative or friend runs themselves ragged looking after the not so well one. In extreme cases the partner gives up and dies, not that we actually have a choice over the time of death, its set at birth, there is then a miraculous recovery of the former invalid. Of course that is not always the case there are many variations on the theme.

Helen Keller comes to mind. Hopelessly handicapped, she grew in to an example for us all.

Nelson Mandela ( is a Mandela prayer wheel/) for other reasons became an example. What could be more dehabilitating than to spend years in solitary confinement yet he survived that and on release there was no bitterness expressed, only words of love. He arose to become the first Negro to become Prime Minister in his homeland an extremely unlikely event yet it happened. Why or how? Many forces came into play. Destiny his spiritual vibration, life force, Divine will.

Stephen Hawkins is another amazing example, severely handicapped, incapable of normal speech, in spite of that or partly because of that he has become one of the worlds leading physicists.

Many unknown to us have triumphed over illness to become all that they could be.
    Every time we meet an “other” we are either adding to their energy or detracting from it. People who can see auras confirm this. There are people who uplift us people who deflate us and we do the same to them. There are individuals who are energy vampires, I don’t mean that literally, they don’t mean to be they just are.

A story.
    John goes out this day he is feeling ok.
    He meets Fred who says are you feeling ok? You look a little tired.
    John heads on and bumps into Lucy who he hasn’t seen for a while. My word you aged since I saw you last are her very first words. Time passes and our friend John walks on a little slower perhaps a bit more stooped. Further on there is an encounter with Joe who says “my word you don’t look well, should you be out” John heads for home shuffling along, just before his door he sees Andy who greets him with. John you are looking great you must tell me the secret of your good health. John instantly perks up. Need I say more. We all know people who have High energy life force, who lift us, keep their company where ever possible.

We all have periods where we are a bit tired then we are prone to and susceptible to negative energy. Its best to accept that yes it is so I m tired and ensure that proper rest is taken. There are life cycles where we are full of energy and get a lot done and as part of that cycle we have to replenish our energy, if we don’t take time to do that the you could say we are running on empty.

Its well to be aware of the power of TV and to be selective about what is watched. People will say “oh Im not really affected by what I watch”, well companies spend millions on television advertising. Would they do that if it wasn’t effective in boosting sales? Of course not.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (22nd August 2012), Eram (22nd August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (21st August 2012), Mark (23rd August 2012)

24. Link to Post #1794
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The mind

The practical mind
    The emotional mind
    The Higher mind.

It is helpful to set spiritual intention to aspire to Higher mind which is connected to source. One could perhaps say that Higher mind is one with the Holy Spirit.

The practical mind as the name implies takes to do with tasks that we carry out. It is a functional aspect of the total mind, not separate from but part of and can be influenced by either the emotional mind or the Higher mind but not both at the same moment. We have the choice.
    A simple illustration.

A singer/musician practises at home, gets his part off at least to an acceptable level, he then combines this part with other musicians in his group. So far so good!
    Then together they play to an audience, again its going well. However in the interval someone says. Do you know who is in the audience? That famous record producer Mr X, he could do wonders for your career. All of a sudden the emotional mind, the ego, is in there. The present moment is lost, dreams hopes and fears for the future arise, remembered disasters from the past flood in, your mothers words, friends comments mainly negative i.e. what makes you think you can be a star? Etc. You’ve lost the place.
    Back on stage it may be that these thoughts have affected the practical mind in its musician function or it may be that the Higher mind clicks in and you play beyond your normal performance. Athletes and others call this the zone. Everything seems to be happening of its own accord beautifully.

By the way playing with feeling is not as such an emotion, ( emotion tends to be reaction to something external) its being so aware so present so totally in the moment that there is a oneness with the music, fellow musicians the audience, it is almost as though the instrument is playing one self. Joy arises from within.

So the practical mind is essential to functioning in the world, it doesn’t really require much thought to carry out well practised acts. The physical part of driving a car is practically automatic, though in order to be accident free a degree to presence is required, if your thinking emotionally about what’s wrong with your love life and trying to drive that’s a recipe for disaster.

Of course there is a place for feeling otherwise there would be no compassion no understanding of the others situation. Buying into emotion however is never helpful and prevents right action in response to what is taking place.

A ski instructor friend told me of this incident.
    When he was on the slopes he witnessed an accident. A young lady had taken a tumble and cut her face, which was bleeding profusely. By the time he got there a group of well meaning friends had crowded round, some what emotional about the situation. Concern was expressed about possible scaring of a beautiful face. Brandy was produced from hip flask and a friend of the young lady attempted to administer this cure all. My fiend was straight in there with a handful of snow to the ladies face, a cold compress. That stopped the bleeding rapidly. Brandy imbibed would have made the blood flow more freely.
    The right action had occurred.

It may be helpful to understand how the mind works.
    It is very like the hard drive of a computer all kinds of programs can be added or deleted. We are not the mind though.
    It’s a useful tool a good servant but a bad master.

Anyway the mind is programmable.

When we are born we have an operating system just like the computer, its fairly basic until software is added. The main difference is that programs we use regularly develop pathways to the operating system i.e. our way of conducting ourselves in the world, what ever get us through the day. For example when a situation occurs, the mind in a mille second analyses it decides upon our reaction to it then acts and it is all out with our consciousness.
    For example when driving you may find that all of a sudden you are braking then there is the realization that some one has stepped off the pavement in front of you. Of course you will take credit for saving that persons life but if you really think about it there was a reflex action so fast you didn’t have time to think about it. There wasn’t enough time to consult you before taking action. In these situations it seems that time slows down but I suspect there is that impression because the mind has actually speeded up due to higher mind taking over.

So back to the pathways. They are formed and made wider by what we think about regularly. The widest path relative to what occurred would be the route used by the subconscious in any given situation. Its like a massive filing system. Hunger will for example trigger a search for the food file, which holds all preferences likes and dislikes relating to food, then there is an external search to see what the fridge holds, next back and forward from internal to external till a choice is made consciously. There is a lot more to it than that as all files are interconnected and many may be consulted before a decision is made.

There is an expression “You only get one chance to make a first impression” that is very true, first impressions count, they dictate our future relationship through that first interaction.

Be cause we live in a judgmental dualistic world we are being constantly judged and judging in very subtle ways. The bible advises “ Judgement is mine sayeth the Lord” It doesn’t mean He is going to judge you, just that you are not to judge. Let him without sin cast the first stone is another saying. Yet this subtle judging is very deeply ingrained in the human psyche. Human beings love gossip, the more drama in a situation the better, that’s why soap operas are so popular. “I would never have done that” is a mental position. If we were in the same situation, with that
    persons life history, chances are we would have acted similarly.

As a child we are subtly judged continuously, our performance being monitored on all occasions under the umbrella of guiding, looking after.
    When a child is walking along a narrow wall the parents fear may prompt the shout “watch out or you will fall”. The child, who was gaining in confidence now falters is distracted and may well fall. It is help full to know that the mind screens out some language and the child may only hear. “You will fall” which then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy” Which then is reinforced in the childs mind by the parent commenting “I warned you”
    There is a better way always. The parent could have said. “Your doing great. keep focused on one step at a time”
    Children need positive guidance.

Many a celebrity has been shot to great heights through public acclaim, almost to the point of worship, then what. The same star is shot down through innuendo in the press regardless of whether it is true half true or falacious. It may be true. Then there is the court case, suing the paper for deformation of character. The public take sides and are greatly interested in seeing their point of view prove to be right. When a verdict is reached the response is “I was right I told you so.” Im superior to you”. Its all so subtle. we are unaware that it is happening, its so normal.
    When the verdict opposes our point of view. The response may be denial. The point of view is upheld and justified. The ego cant be wrong.
    The ego is delighted either way as drama ensues.

The mind and each thought can be very powerful if we allow it to be so.
    Mind is a powerful usefull servant but a bad master.
    It is helpful to choose that which has a higher purpose without personal agenda, where possible.

If a person continually thinks in terms of lack then the lack program pops up and you can be sure that lack will manifest. The Americans have a saying “Garbage in garbage out” and so it is, in that persons life, unfortunately.
    You can also be sure that situations will arise in their life that are beneficial and have the seeds of abundance, but chances are that the negative person will not notice or even be aware of these possibilities for advancement. Even if they are conscious of this opportunity they may talk themselves out of action as the fear programme runs alongside the lack program. Many programs run concordant, all taking a person under autopilot to a destination that may not be desired. However autopilot can be reset.

On the other hand the positive person is running an entirely different program and their internal talk is in terms of what can be done to enhance their life. They will see every opportunity to do this and will only see problems as challenges.
    When we know the way the mind works we can choose which program to run be it positive or negative. Without this simple knowledge we are powerless and run by the program rather than the other way about.
    We all have the same hard drive and operating system in the brain, though some may have more capacity for storing information.

So there is a program for everything we do in this life including the spiritual search. The more often we turn our mind to the search for spiritual truth the more the right brain comes into play, our higher self begins to run our life and we may begin to experience the Kundalini energy moving up our spine (Kundalini is too vast a subject to cover here) you cant make that happen, its through the grace of God. “Divine madness” may occur, a magnificent obsession with finding the Truth. Ones life may become devoted to that, though at some point in time when the pupil has advanced enough the teacher will advise give up the books, give up the search, you already have everything you need, the truth is within, just let go, let God, just be.

TO REDUCE THINKING
    Don’t get into dialogue with your mind.* You are not your mind.* Let it do what it wants, but it can’t talk to itself.* Don’t answer it back.* It will diminish.* The silence will expand.* Even the volume of the voice in the head will lessen to a background sound you are hardly aware of.* At first it will clamour for attention – then give up.* Will only take a few days before you notice a difference

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (22nd August 2012), Eram (25th August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (22nd August 2012), Mark (23rd August 2012)

26. Link to Post #1795
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Re: A book by Chris

Belief Systems

A belief system is anything that you identify with and buy into.
    Cultures have there own prevalent belief system.
    Anything that you have a belief in has a habit of manifesting, the expression “a self fulfilling prophecy” sums it up nicely.

Belief systems are deeply ingrained as from the moment of birth we are being indoctrinated into the beliefs of our culture.
    We also have a strong desire to know who we are and self labeling takes many forms.

I am a musician can be stated proudly. No, that’s not who I am that’s a function in my life, a function to be respected.
    I m a Scotsman, an even stronger identity, no that’s the country of birth.
    My birth sign is Scorpio. That’s true in this case but still not who or more accurately what I am. I am pure spirit, ultimately the soul not male or female.

Our belief dictates how we react to situations.
    If X football team wins and I support Y then there is despondency, its as though I am that football team. If X wins then I am champion of the world. We are controlled by outside influences until we realize what is going on, till we wake up consciously. We are not even aware that this is happening till we begin to realise basic spiritual truths.
    There is great enjoyment out of being a football supporter but not to take it seriously.
    The positive emotions are within, the game is only a catalyst to bring them into awareness.
    We can have any emotion we wish without the “game”. We can choose to be happy, we can overcome the world.
    It takes time as all belief systems are very deep rooted. It is not a question of lying to yourself that you are happy when you are obviously going along with a face that is tripping you. Nobody is fooled. No, its much deeper than that. It comes about through turning over to God every negative emotion when it arises and thanking him for positive thoughts and feelings when they surface. You are what you think about on the level of form. Shakespeare said “Assume a virtue and its yours” Time is required to reinforce that.

Again be aware that a negative belief system is being replaced with a positive, I cant! becomes I can!.
    Eventually all belief systems must be released but only when that is ready to happen.
    “Its just like me to -” followed by a positive affirmation is helpful.

Fear is a belief system that limits so many, been there done it.

We took our young son at the age of 4 to be inoculated. The female Dr was extremely good and convincing. Our son saw the needle and syringe and said. “No thank you I had that before I didn’t like it im not having that now.” That was the end of the story. He obviously had never read a positive thinking book but I was in awe of the quiet, polite assertiveness and confidence in one so young.
    We lost his older brother Michael in a supermarket when he was approximately the same age. One moment he was there the next he was gone, nowhere to be seen.
    A few minute later and it seemed an age, he re appeared.
    We started to remonstrate with him.
    His reply was “I knew where I was even if you didn’t, no need to worry about me.” Children can teach us so much if we are open to listen.

Our conditioning progressively masks who we truly are from the moment of birth. That’s why Jesus said “You must be as little children to enter the kingdom of heaven”

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Acceptance

I don’t much like writing about my self however this true story may be helpful as a pointer.

Some years back a friend recommended that I read “The Power of Now” by Eckhart Tolle.
    By the way I first refused to read it as I in my ego was only interested in the teachings of Indian enlightened masters at that time.
    That book together with "Power versus Force" by Dr David Hawkins has made an immense difference to my life and the lives of many. (Dr David Hawkins work came some years later)

I heard that Eckhart was giving a talk in London at St James Church. I talked my friend Anne into going with me.
    I knew it would not be easy for Anne as there was an incident in her life when as child her hip was badly damaged and later a car accident which made walking any great distance painful and difficult, she had also suffered from ME which had dented her confidence somewhat.

I go in touch early on by email with Steve who was co-ordinating the event. I explained Anne’s difficulties. He assured me that there would be plenty of spare seating space, St James’s is large. There was some further e mailing to get directions etc. A few weeks before the event there was an e mail from Steve which basically said get down here early, we have had an amazing response, people are coming from all over the world to hear him speak.
    We got down there in plenty of time, approximately two hours before Eckhart was due to speak we were in the already forming que, about fifty folk ahead of us. Eventually the doors opened.
    People rushed past us and we ended up in a pew with a massive pillar in front of us, we could hardly see the stage. There was a moment of acceptance then a higher thought, something can be done about this. I waylaid one of the over pressed helpers, explained the present situation and that I had been in touch with Steve by e mail. He said “oh there is Steve” and grabbed his attention.
    Steve was great. He said “wait a moment” In no time we were sitting out front of everyone in two plastic chairs. Eckhart came out and was introduced. He looked about at the large audience and was silent for quite some time. In my ignorance I thought “Poor man he has chickened out” but no that is his customary way of being. Then he requested a few volunteers from the audience I helped Anne up on stage then I returned to my seat. He asked the volunteers each to say a few words for world peace to the seated audience.

He lit a candle and gave it to Anne, she faced the audience and without a qualm said a few beautiful words then came and sat with me, then promptly fainted. Thankfully she recovered quickly and we were awestruck by what came through Eckhart.
    Later we had a book signed by him and Anne suggested that he came to Scotland to give a talk. He asked his partner Kim English to take a note of that, which she did.

There is a sequel to that.

Some time later Eckhart did come to The Findhorn Foundation in Scotland for a two day event, we went to see him.
    Anne wanted to stay on another day, having fallen in love with Findhorn, so we had to go to a B&B, the foundation could only accommodate us the two days of the talk. To our surprise it was the B&B that Eckhart Tolle and Kim English were staying in.
    They came down to breakfast the next morning and we were very fortunate to spend time with them.
    All of that came from first accepting “what is” then taking action.
    However I cant claim that we made anything happen, it just did.
    We also went to see him in Ireland.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (23rd August 2012), Eram (25th August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (23rd August 2012), Mark (23rd August 2012), wynderer (23rd August 2012)

28. Link to Post #1796
    UK Deactivated
    Thanks

Some years back a friend recommended that I read “The Power of Now” by Eckhart Tolle.
    By the way I first refused to read it as I in my ego was only interested in the teachings of Indian enlightened masters at that time.
    That's very honest of you, Chris. And I am sure you are not the only one. Eventually all beliefs, as you say, have to go.

As the pressure on humanity is increasing and the pain is getting stronger, more and more people are awakening spontaneously. Eckhart was one of them and his teachings have been very well received; there is something very natural and spacious about them.

Having said that many people will pick up his teachings and will not awaken but the techniques he recommends will promote a better way of life for them. It's all good.

This was posted earlier today, Eckhart talking about his spontaneous awakening, it's worthy of a second post here, I think.
    Jeanette

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jenci For This Post:

another bob (23rd August 2012), Eram (25th August 2012), greybeard (23rd August 2012), Mark (23rd August 2012)

30. Link to Post #1797
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The teacher

Life is the main teacher.
    Life happens for us not to us, there can be many lessons in a day.
    One of the definitions of madness is “Doing the same thing and expecting different results” Its not a question of trying harder just realizing there is different way of looking at things, we change our perception and a better action suggests itself.

We are an evolutionary species so it is natural to want to better oneself in all areas of our life, to learn more.
    Here we are mainly concerned with consciousness and as the individual consciousness rises, so does the collective.

President Kennedy said “A rising tide lifts all boats”
    So endeavoring to raise ones own spiritual vibration is, a very worthwhile undertaking, personally life gets easier or appears to as our perception changes and the mind becomes quieter.
    As we become easier with the world our nearest and dearest benefit too, there is less friction in relationships as it is no longer necessary to be right, to hold to a position, to have an agenda.
    Self seeking comes to an end. Open mindedness is the norm. Unconditional love arises from within.

The saying is “When the pupil is ready the teacher will arrive”

One classic story.
    A man who had been on the path for some time heard of the location of an enlightened master and was eager to acquire knowledge from him.
    Eventually he arrived at the abode of the Sage.
    He was offered tea and as the master poured it, the erstwhile student launched forth, trying to impress the master with everything he had learned so far. The master kept pouring the tea, the cup was running over.
    The man became aware of this and said “ Master the cup is full and cant hold any more”.
    The sage said words to the effect. When the cup is empty it is ready to be filled, likewise the student”

Is it helpful to have an enlightened teacher to guide you on the spiritual path? Yes
    What does the sage give you? No-thing, only unconditional love.
    The spiritual teaching is virtually the opposite of conventional teaching
    Normally a teacher imparts knowledge, things to be learned and yes there is a place for learning new things. The function that you have in this life is to be respected and honored.

The sage assists you to remove all that is not the true you.
    He points to the Truth which you are.

The Buddha taught Neity Neity. Not this not this. The path of negation.
    It’s almost as though you remember that which you are already.
    Nothing need be added. Nothing is added only removed.

An illustration.
    A famous sculptor was asked how he created a beautiful female statuette from a block of marble. His simple answer was. I chip away everything that is not feminine.

The bona-fide Spiritual teacher has certain trade marks as follows.

1 He is not looking for disciples, not to confuse the teaching with the teacher. Respect and honor the teacher but only God is deserving of your devotion.
    2 He is there to serve you not the other way around.
    3 He is not looking to make a living from teaching, though that may happen.
    4 There is no initiation, no oath, to be taken, no swearing of allegiance, no secret knowledge to be bought. The student is free in every respect. There is nothing in the teaching that suggests specialness, elitism. All are one.
    5 There is humility in the true teacher.
    6 He has no needs wants or desires to be met by you.
    7 He enjoys fully what life brings him in the moment, when its gone its gone.
    8 There is no attempt or need to convince control or otherwise mold the student.
    The Truth has an authority of its own.
    9 If he doesn’t know the answer to your question he will say “I don’t know”

Enlightened teachers are few in number on the planet so if the opportunity to sit in the presence of one arises seize it with both hands.
    Why?
    As said earlier we all have a unique spiritual vibration and that vibration can be raised by sitting in the presence of a sage.
    It’s a bit like rubbing a magnet against a piece of metal, the non magnetized becomes magnetized though it may not be as strong a magnet as the original.
    The energy of such a teacher attaches itself to your aura.

If its not possible to sit in the presence of one such teacher don’t worry there are books DVDs, CDs tapes of their work which also carry a high vibration which will raise your consciousness with repeated exposure to the material.
    I have found the teachings of Dr David Hawkins and Eckhart Tolle to be particularly inspiring and helpful.

There are many good teachers who are on the path to enlightenment, my preferred path is Devotional non duality.
    To me Devotionally non duality means being only devoted to God whilst honoring all of God’ creation and the progressive realization that there is only one life expressed through us. Not two only One.
    One without a second
    A good teacher will have or aspire to have at least some of the attributes of an enlightened master.
    However a book may be all that’s available to you and that’s ok as the book carries the energy of the writer.

At this time good books abound. At one time a spiritual book would sell a few thousand copies. The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle reached no 1 on the New York Times best seller list. The miracle is not that a spiritual book can sell so many copies but that so many of us are ready for such teaching.
    Consciousness is rising the world is ready for change.
    War is still the norm in many places but in the mind of many that is no longer acceptable.
    It used to be that going to battle was seen as heroic, the knights going to the crusades for example.
    Now it is seen as pointless and futile, the enemy of yesterday the friend of today.

Can we make peace happen, no, it is already here in the mind it just needs to be uncovered, that is the natural ego free state. Gandhi achieved the impossible for India without striking a single blow. Such is the power of enlightened thinking. Non resistance.

What can the individual do? Be ready and willing to let go of all positionality, belief systems, to let go of judgment. The moment an opinion is held dearly you can be sure of opposition. That opposition is empowered by our rigid stance.
    When we are flexible in our thinking we are open to higher concepts. Its also ok to be wrong.

Karate and other martial arts are effective through using the others energy to win through. Non resistance to what is you may say is the answer. The moment a stance is taken up an equal power of opposition is created. Acceptance of what is is the answer. Non judgmental.
    Shakespeare said. Nothing is right or wrong till thinking makes it so. Acceptance is not passive or condoning it is very powerful. When a situation is first accepted as isness then right action will flow. An attitude of “This shouldn’t be happening to me” is unhelpful, emotional mind arises accompanied by temper or frustration no doubt, what is needed is a cool mind, clear thinking so to speak. These are attributes of higher mind not the poor little me entity.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (24th August 2012), Eram (25th August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (23rd August 2012), NancyV (24th August 2012)

32. Link to Post #1798
    Thanks

Greetings, Friends!

There has been some discussion in other threads regarding "Emptiness" (Sunyata), so I am submitting one good summation of the Buddhist understanding of emptiness that I recently came across here:

The chariot analogy for emptiness is pertinent.

Is the chariot the same as its parts or different?

If you say the chariot is the same as its parts, you should be able to disassemble the chariot and spread all its parts on the ground, and still have a chariot. Clearly this is not the case.

If it is different from the chariot, we should be able to have a chariot apart from chariot parts, yet this is not so.

What this means epistemologically is that "things" as we perceive them have only imputed existence (prajñapti-sat). That is they are only conventionally real. When we normally perceive things they appear to exist, but they "dissolve under analysis".

Ontologically emptiness is best understood as dependent origination where by virtue of all phenomena arising as a result of causes and conditions they are "empty" or "void" of a self-existence (svabhava).

In that light, you cannot say they do not exist at all, but on the other hand you cannot say they really exist either. Phenomena are all illusory and only conventionally existent. If you refute existence, non-existence (which is relative to existence) likewise becomes untenable and no view can be held either way.

The point of this is to halt grasping onto perceived "marks" (nimitta-grāha) which prompt afflictions (craving and anger), further initiating action (karma) and subsequently the maturated results such as sensation of pain and pleasure and physical existence (projecting karma directs the location of one's rebirth and completion karma the qualities of it). If nimitta-grāha is halted, liberation is attained. Ignorance (avidyā) is twofold: ignorance of results, which produces demeritorious formations (apuṇya-saṃskāra) and ignorance of reality (tattvārtha-avidyā). The former is not understanding the consequences of actions which lead to suffering and carrying out those actions. The latter is what fundamentally perpetuates one's saṃsāra. Halting nimitta-grāha is related to curing ignorance of reality.

However, for bodhisattvas one still voluntarily navigates through saṃsāra for the sake of beings. At higher levels realization of emptiness entails no more perception of "beings" as a result of no longer having defiled perceptions.

This is why you hear seemingly contradictory statements like "bodhisattvas liberating immeasurable beings without any beings being liberated".

When analysis of emptiness is turned on the self it is revealed that "self" or ātman is likewise illusory. Our attachments to an illusory reified identity of "I" leads to "mine" and all the subsequent mundane sufferings, including involuntary rebirth. However, this does not render the individual into some kind of non-existence. On the contrary, emptiness is the cradle of compassion. When the self is dissolved suchness (tathatā) is revealed and all beings, who likewise lack any substantial self, are embraced like a womb embracing the child. This is one aspect of the function of analysing emptiness.

This is perhaps best intellectually understood through simple analysis (yogic realization is another matter). If all phenomena arise due to causes and conditions which likewise arise due to infinite causes and conditions, the analysis finds no "ground" to settle on. There is no first cause because that would violate the observed laws of causality (i.e., everything arises due to causes and conditions). The curtain is pulled back and there is infinity. This also means that given that the past is infinite your rebirths have likewise been infinite, so all beings at some point have been your mother. With such a profound vision of time and space compassion is completely natural and not forced. You see all beings as your mother and treat them accordingly. This is one of the basic practices associated with emptiness analysis. At higher levels bodhisattvas do not perceive beings and hence do not perceive them as their mothers.

It is said that it is only a buddha which completely realizes emptiness. However, even at a basic level like understanding how your daily life is a result of immeasurable beings (the causes and conditions for your present life) can foster an appreciation and gratitude towards both insect and human alike (in our present day concern for the environment is likewise all the more pressing in this light). When attachment to personal identity fades the subsequent result is increased benevolence and compassion towards all beings, which is really quite beautiful. A buddha in a sense embraces all the universe and beings, there being no difference between "self" and "other", hence why beings are said to be "in the womb of the tathāgata".

As Buddhists we hopefully try to emulate that as best we can. It is a gradual multi-life process. This is why aspirations are so important -- they will hopefully mature and direct us towards buddhahood where we will realize emptiness perfectly and flawlessly.

~Huseng

33. Link to Post #1799
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Karma & Destiny

What is Karma?
    There many translations of this word and even more explanations.
    For me it simply means action.
    Many actions have been performed by us in this life and perhaps in previous lifetimes.
    I don’t go there (previous incarnations) as there is perhaps more than enough to consider in this one.
    In fact its not a good idea to apply criticism to past action. It seemed a good idea at the time, that’s seems to be a kind way of looking at it.
    Be kind and forgiving to all including yourself.

Every action will have repercussions, to be clear that is not cause and effect. One person may to do something and there will be certain consequences another on performing a similar acts will find a different outcome occuring in their life.
    That’s their personal karma, yours is different and related to the potential that is inherent in your spiritual vibration, raise your vibration and there is, for want of better way of putting it, a better outcome.
    In reality there is no better outcome.
    Life is the teacher and will bring about what ever is in your best interest for spiritual growth.
    That may be a hard lesson.
    For example those suffering from alcoholism have to hit “rock bottom” before they are ready and humble enough to admit they were powerless over alcohol and that a power greater than them selves could restore them to sanity. ( Step one of the twelve step pro-gramme of AA).
    Others may have their own low point where enough is enough and the search for a peaceful mind begins. Even though at that point there may
    be no realisation that the spiritual search has begun, it has. That is their destiny. It could not happen otherwise.

Destiny is not our past pushing us to a certain destination. No it’s the future beckoning. Our higher self knows what we truly are and is pulling us towards that realisation. That is our ultimate destination.
    The longest journey can be from mind to spiritual heart.

We start the spiritual journey seeking That which we already are on the external level and this is necessary for most of us.
    Eventually we find ourselves back home locating Truth within where it has always been, though some what elusive.
    The destiny of every individual is enlightenment, for some it seems to take longer.
    It would seem to be true that we are moving towards that destiny en-mass at this time. May that be so.

Spiritual Practise

Be devoted to God above all else then even if you are heading in the wrong direction so to speak all will ultimately be well.

Meditation as already mentioned is a must for those seriously committed to the spiritual path of enlightenment. You become literally single minded through it.
    Probably most important practice is to remain centered in the eternal present moment. We are a thought based species at this time so it takes time to overcome that.
    It is helpful to just sit and watch without internal dialogue (you cant be two places at once) your either watching totally absorbed in what you are viewing, taking it in, present not absent, or in your mind, you can choose where to have your awareness, nature, birds, animals, trees blowing in the wind water still or rippling.
    Water resembles our true nature, there may be surface ripples, there may even be stormy waves but under the surface the water is always still, calm, peaceful.
    Water when still is like a mirror it reflects a bird which flies over. The water is not changed or affected in any way it is just inherent within it to reflect.
    The bird is not affected in any way either by its reflection appearing on the surface water, its nature is to fly.

Mantra is good also. Repeating the Om inside your head is most powerful. If you want to raise the vibration of a room in your home for example then do the Om out loud.

Om is reputed to be the primordial sound, the sound of the cosmos. Scientist reputably have measured the vibration of the cosmos and found the vibration to be the same as the Om sound. Don’t know if that’s true but it may well be so.

Because mantras are ancient when you chant one you are tapping into the energy of billions of repetitions since time immemorial. The word Mantra means “That which protects”

Prayer.

Herewith, a prayer that you may find helpful in starting the day.

I am born now from the womb of sleep
    I am determined to carry out all tasks this day with you ever present before my minds eye.
    Make my words thoughts and deeds sacred and pure
    Let me not hurt anyone
    Let no one hurt me guide me direct me this day.
    Amen

Finishing the day with.

The burdens which I placed upon you this morning are now over.
    It was You who made me walk and talk and think and act
    I therefore place at your feet all my words thoughts and deeds
    Receive me now I am coming home to you
    Amen

The main purpose of this prayer is to avoid further karma. Both good and bad karma have consequences in line with your potential. Good karma may bring you back for another lifetime to enjoy the fruits of your endeavor, bad Karma may bring you back to face a difficult life.
    When action is surrendered to God there is the humility to realize that ultimately nothing happens in isolation therefore you have not single handedly created the end result, others must also have been involved.
    That is selfless service. No self no problem. No karma either.

Eventually it maybe be that the only prayer that appeals to you is

Beloved please show me how I may be of service to you.

Prayer is really for our benefit, God has not wants needs or desires.

It is good practice to bless food. Our ancestors knew the value of this.

At the end of a day it is good to have a positive inventory of what has transpired then a few moments expressing gratitude. It seems the more you express and have an attitude of gratitude the more you get to be grateful for.

Resolve to be kind to all life at all times no matter what.
    Some times tough love may arise but it is the intention that is as always the important factor.

No is a perfectly acceptable word where appropriate. There should not be a personal agenda. There is the bench mark of unconditional love to be aspired to. The other is to be respected, however their actions may not be something which you condone, spiritual discernment arises.

The work book section of Course in Miracles is a very powerful tool with simple daily lessons, 365 in total. There are study groups throughout world where you can meet like minded souls and that is important.

Any twelve step program is extremely helpful to assist in the removal of character defects.

The steps which are common to and similar to any of the step programs are detailed below. I have substituted X in place of the addiction. X could refer to any problem deep rooted.

The 12 steps of( twelve step group/fellowship)

1 - We admitted that we were powerless over X – that our life had become un-manageable.
    2 – Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
    3 – Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
    4 – Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
    5 - Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being
    the exact nature of our wrongs.
    6 - Were entirely ready to have God remove these all these defects of character.
    7 - Humbly asked him to remove our short comings.
    8 - Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became wiling to make amends.
    9 – Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to so would injure them or others.
    10 - Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
    11 - Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
    12 - Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to those still suffering from X and to practise these principals in all our affairs.

At some point all spiritual practices should be let go of as a means to an end but may well continue for the joy of partaking of them.
    To be absolutely clear though if you have any kind of addiction be it to alcohol or otherwise it is necessary to continue with the uplifting experience of going to the fellowship which is helping you to recover from the effects of that particular addiction.

A prayer common to the various twelve step groups is.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

It is well to be aware that as spiritual progress is made certain abilities may arrive.
    Parking spaces materialize as if by magic.
    An intuitive facility is strengthened
    Clairvoyance and everything else beginning with clair may appear as a so called gift
    States of bliss my come about.

Take care not to form an identity as a gifted such and such, you may be in earthly terms but it could be an obstacle to further progress.
    The suggestion is not that you no longer use the gift but just be aware that it is not a gift personal to you in the respect that you don’t own it. It may of course go of its own accord. Then who would you be if you had formed an identity out of it,

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (25th August 2012), Eram (25th August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (25th August 2012)

35. Link to Post #1800
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Surrender

Surrender to what to whom?
    Only surrender to what arises in this moment is necessary.

There is a certain inescapable fact about what is, it is.
    No amount of avoidance can alter the fact, there it is, in your face. Once there is a, yes there it is, the situation changes.
    In Quantum physics it is stated that what ever is observed changes, the wave collapses, takes on a new form one could say.
    The mere action of observing suggest you are separate from the observed.
    You are the subject the other is the object.
    With distancing yourself through observing you are no longer emotionally associated with the event.
    You are not pulled more into the me story in the head.
    Its as though we are in a cinema watching one frame at a time of a film the difference is that we can change the next frame before we witness it by our attitude to this frame.

Everything with form including thought comes from the un manifest/source.
    Whilst we are in this world we are also not of it.
    We are both manifest in form and yet not.
    Spirit which is what we are is invisible.
    Another way of looking at is we are both form and formless and yet neither.
    So it is, as if, once we have accepted what is in form and in time, we go to the un manifest which is timeless and change or set the next frame of the film before it appears.
    There is possibility that we can only select from a menu which is dictated by our vibration our personal potential which changes as we evolve spiritually.
    This happens totally out with our Conscious awareness in a faction of a second and there it is, the next frame has arrived. We are in that respect like time travelers.
    Don’t make a concept or belief system of this though, it cant be proved in this world. The explanation can only point.
    This is a linear world, one thing after another appears then disappears in the eternal moment which is not linear.
    Its as though there is a space time continuum,
    The human brain organises the total film into what appears to be moment after moment for us to view
    but we are sitting there unmoved occupying the same space in the timeless eternal moment. You can open the projector and there it is, the whole film exposed but you have no clue about the story portrayed in the film it has to be watched on the screen moment by moment to make sense of it, that’s life.
    As said already we can, it seems, change the life story, the film is set.

We also surrender to God but which concept of God?

A softer way of putting surrender to God might be “hand over to God”

The God of ancient times was seen as a paranoid dictator, his will had to be done at all times or there would be plagues, famine. Human and animal sacrifice required to appease him. He would strike you down dead for no reason other than he felt like it.
    Then we moved on or rather our concept of God changed. Now we believed in a God who might just smile on you if you did what you were told if not he would smite you dead or worse condemn you to eternal hell.

Then there were further changes of perception till we arrived at the point where we could envisage a God of pure unconditional love, no judgment day, just Love Love Love.

God has not changed one iota but our perception has radically.
    Throughout time, there have been advanced souls, who experienced at first hand that love and testified to it.
    Because of prevailing attitudes in those times many saintly beings were tortured, crucified, killed.

It was predicted that science would one day prove the existence of God well maybe it has unbeknown.
    There is an energy field through out the cosmos which pervades everything from the smallest atom to the biggest planet.
    Absolutely everywhere, there is nowhere that it is not. Certainly a bit like God.

Death

Death is a very unpopular subject.
    We can talk about politics, sex, religion but death is rarely recognised as a fact of life apart from hopefully the rare occasion when we lose friend or family member.
    Its extremely rare to see the body of some one who has departed.
    We fear the unknown and death is virtually unknown to us in our culture un till there is personal experience of it.

The sages say that the moment of death is determined at birth so we have nothing to worry about, in a world of uncertainty that at least is a sure thing, a given, and even more important they reassure us that we are spirit not body.

My mother had a breast removed at the age of forty, through having a malignant lump there. Life expectancy after that operation at that time was not very high, however she was ninety five when she died.
    I was fortunate enough to be able to spend time with her as death approached.
    She became very calm and peace full, pain free as death approached.
    I wasn’t with her at that moment arriving shortly after. When I walked in her room I knew my mother wasn’t there anymore. What was left some how didn’t look like her. Lifeless by comparison and in reality.

I only stayed a few moments, the nurse, I knew her well, seemed surprised. She said “thought you would have stayed longer, you and your mum were very close”. I just said. “”She’s not there. I held back the tears till I got home.

Grief is natural and necessary even when you know that there is in reality no death. Grief is really a sense of loss and that has its place, its not really about the deceased it’s about oneself, about the vacuum created by the other leaving. After a period of grieving life moves on and so it should.

When I was in my forties we had a small Residential Home for the Elderly and that was my first experience of seeing the deceased body. I had the greatest regard for the staff, we got fond of the people in our care then they upped and left us sometimes suddenly.

This is the most thought provoking story I can tell. I have changed names etc.

We had a sprightly lady come to stay with us for respite care. She booked in for three weeks having come from one of the islands to the north of Scotland. She went out shopping on her own and really was quite fit, not on medication of any kind.

I was doing a sleep over as part of the night staff when around about 3am Fiona woke me, she said J. has gone. Being half awake I said gone where? Fiona eyes to heaven said “departed” I roused myself and yes it was so. We got the Dr in as is necessary to verify such things. Then I was faced with the task of phoning the relatives, not an easy one. J had come to us for a holiday in perfect health, what could I say?

Eventually I plucked up courage, dreading it.

I got her nephew. “Oh yes we have been expecting your call”. He said.
    “J knew she was going to die and made all the funeral arrangements, she didn’t want to be a nuisance to us so she came down to your place to die”. I was gob smacked.
    So some people just know.

What happens after death?
    I don’t know, its out with my experience, so far so good.
    Jesus said “My Fathers House has many mansions” Could be that there are levels of energy, spiritual vibration, attractor fields in heaven and we are drawn to the mansion that our energy resonates with.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (25th August 2012), Eram (25th August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (25th August 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 431 FirstFirst 1 40 80 90 100 140 190 431 LastLast