+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Thread: Here: The So-called "Word Of God"

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks

Default Re: Here: The So-called "Word Of God"

This is a very intriguing discussion. I've been wondering about the combination of 3 things: 1) the veracity of the Bible, 2) the Mandela effect (which includes reports of many changes in the KJV Bible), and 3) the Bible Code - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_code. I don't have any credentials to discuss this deeply, but it seemed to me that the Bible Code was very forthcoming and accurate with highlighting events in human history through finding words/phrases through skip-distances. The movie, Contact, showed a great example of the ingenious method that was used to code the machine instructions, through decoding and connecting pages in an unexpected way. Perhaps the Bible/Torah was constructed in the same way, using a technology way beyond our comprehension.

If even one word was misspelled or added/subtracted or changed in the Torah, that it would change all the skip distances, and therefore the words that would be found. I thought that it was possible that the Bible was the "program" for creation, and if we had the way to understand it, through reading the manual that was written in multi-layered/dimensioned forms (hence the skip distances), that we would be able to read our history from beginning to end.

To me, it would seem odd that the Bible would be crafted and edited by men (yet this new evidence is suggesting just that), and it would seem more likely that the Bible was handed down by the gods as their "creation documentation" and then as timelines shifted (if they shifted), the Bible would change accordingly (and we wouldn't know it, except through the Mandela Effect), with new words/phrases being formed from the skip distances, and a different Earth history/future outlined. When making copies of the Bible, it was vital that accuracy be maintained scrupulously, and that any wrong copies be destroyed, which would support the need for the Torah to be kept 100% accurate.

So my question is: How would the Bible Code be accurate if men edited the Bible? Or is the Bible Code not scientific / illuminating human history? Any thoughts?

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DebJoy For This Post:

BMJ (31st January 2017), Chester (28th December 2016), East Sun (17th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (24th December 2016), Hervé (24th December 2016), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), Sierra (29th December 2016), yobear1932 (25th December 2016)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Having been part of the Conned Crowd for most of my life, it is a relief to realize I AM!!

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

BMJ (31st January 2017), Chester (28th December 2016), Franro (28th December 2016), Hervé (24th December 2016), Krist (25th December 2016), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), seko (10th February 2017), yobear1932 (25th December 2016)

5. Link to Post #23
    Palestinian Territory Avalon Member thunder24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,159 times in 1,845 posts

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    A Vatican researcher and translator's conclusion on the matter:

[CENTER]Ex Vatican Translator, Mauro Biglino , Bible Hoax, Alien Manipulation of Man, Genocide, Cloning
    What i didn't understand from this interview, is if yahweh was lesser then enlil, and only given dominion over that group how was it that his "religion" and "followers" came to dominate so much...?
    Last edited by thunder24; 24th December 2016 at 19:05.
    OBADIAH 1:21
    The Good things in life

"...where ever you go, there you are..."

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

BMJ (31st January 2017), East Sun (27th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (24th December 2016), Hervé (24th December 2016), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), Sierra (29th December 2016), yobear1932 (25th December 2016)

7. Link to Post #24
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

Quote Posted by DebJoy (here)
    [...]
    So my question is: How would the Bible Code be accurate if men edited the Bible? Or is the Bible Code not scientific / illuminating human history? Any thoughts?
    That's what I refer to as life times and generations being wasted on sky-hooks and wild goose chase... people can decipher the wildest things out of inkblots...

In other words, if Gmirkin thesis proves to be accurate, it calls for a complete tabula rasa of the subject... poofff! Gone!
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

BMJ (31st January 2017), Chester (28th December 2016), DebJoy (24th December 2016), East Sun (17th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (24th December 2016), Franro (28th December 2016), gord (1st January 2017), kfm27917 (27th November 2019), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), Sierra (29th December 2016), yobear1932 (25th December 2016)

9. Link to Post #25
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by thunder24 (here)
    [...]
    What i didn't understand from this interview, is if yahweh was lesser then enlil, and only given dominion over that group how was it that his "religion" and "followers" came to dominate so much...?
    Hi thunder,

The interview you refer to has been made irrelevant by this other interview I linked to in this other post (<--) since that, according to Gmirkin, the Hebrew texts are a translation and modification of the Greek texts from around 270 BC... a long way for those words for 'em being from "God."

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

BMJ (31st January 2017), Chester (28th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (24th December 2016), Franro (28th December 2016), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), seko (25th December 2016), thunder24 (24th December 2016), yobear1932 (25th December 2016)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

@ DebJoy....This is what I love about Avalon! One can sift through all the information & come up with one's own conclusions! It is a bit much to wrap one's mind around the seeming fact that The Bible was simply part of an overall plan to keep control over a major part of humanity. It worked! At this point in time my conclusion is that there was a Jesus, but we lost whatever his original message was because his story was taken over by the Roman Gov't. & made into a system with which to control the masses. That has worked too!! This is all VERY relevant to me because believing that the Bible was THE Word of God ruined my entire life & I truly wanted to find out what the heck happened & why?! Listening to Bill & Kerry's early interviews was the beginning of my starting to find some answers. We each are on our own journey & I feel very blessed to have access to as much information as there is on Avalon, even tho' some of it is above my head! I appreciate everyone's patience & kindness!

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Billy (11th August 2017), BMJ (31st January 2017), Chester (28th December 2016), East Sun (27th December 2016), Franro (28th December 2016), gord (1st January 2017), Hervé (25th December 2016), kfm27917 (27th November 2019), Krist (27th December 2016), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), Pam (20th September 2023), yobear1932 (25th December 2016)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

[...]
    Hi thunder,

The interview you refer to has been made irrelevant by this other interview I linked to in this other post (<--) since that, according to Gmirkin, the Hebrew texts are a translation and modification of the Greek texts from around 270 BC... a long way for those words for 'em being from "God."
    In regards to the Word of God it may of made it irrelevant, but it doesn't answer my question above, which while maybe off topic Im still interested in the answer even if not from biblical sources..

I did listen to the interview you linked me to above, and can totally see how the interviewee came to his conclusions... Another question for anyone to answer, who would be able to see the fruition of this psy-op? or does that link to secret societies and grand plans and schemes?
    Last edited by thunder24; 27th December 2016 at 15:09.
    The Good things in life

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

Chester (28th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (2nd November 2017), Hervé (27th December 2016), Krist (27th December 2016), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), Pam (21st September 2023), Sierra (29th December 2016)

15. Link to Post #28
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

[...]
    [...]
    In regards to the Word of God it may of made it irrelevant, but it doesn't answer my question above, which while maybe off topic Im still interested in the answer even if not from biblical sources..
    [...]
    Right... how about Gmirkin research demonstrating these characters as fictional... in the same league as Zeus and/or Jupiter?

Quote Another question for anyone to answer, who would be able to see the fruition of this psy-op? or does that link to secret societies and grand plans and schemes?
    I, now, suspect that many secret societies were/are aware of that subterfuge and that the psy-op template is being extended further back into time with "ETs" and even longer ancestries and blood lines, etc... you know, like many of the current debates in alt-media... to get humanity under another worldwide controlling religious umbrella.

Which is in complete contradiction with the kind of things described in this thread: I told them I was from out in space (or even re-incarnation memories from different ethnicities, races, etc.)... The "body" maybe from earth, but the "occupant"/spirit comes from totally different quarters... and the "occupant" is then made to believe it is only a "body," subject to - and completely ruled by - heredity, genetics and very mortal.
    Last edited by Hervé; 27th December 2016 at 17:26.

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Billy (11th August 2017), BMJ (2nd February 2017), Chester (28th December 2016), drneglector (25th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (29th December 2016), gord (1st January 2017), Krist (27th December 2016), meat suit (28th December 2016), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), Pam (21st September 2023), pueblo (2nd November 2017), seko (27th December 2016), Sierra (29th December 2016), thunder24 (27th December 2016)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

Right... how about Gmirkin research demonstrating these characters as fictional... in the same league as Zeus and/or Jupiter?

I, now, suspect that many secret societies were/are aware of that subterfuge and that the psy-op template is being extended further back into time with "ETs" and even longer ancestries and blood lines, etc... you know, like many of the current debates in alt-media... to get humanity under another worldwide controlling religious umbrella.

Which is in complete contradiction with the kind of things described in this thread: I told them I was from out in space (or even re-incarnation memories from different ethnicities, races, etc.)... The "body" maybe from earth, but the "occupant"/spirit comes from totally different quarters... and the "occupant" is then made to believe it is only a "body," subject to - and completely ruled by - heredity, genetics and very mortal.
    well i guess to me, it sounds like, from this research and your response, that e.t. is non factor or non existent... which would contradict my paradigm... i can say that... but even if its archetypes, it is totally against the ET factor from what i understand. Am I wrong in that assumption?
    The Good things in life

18. The Following User Says Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

Michelle Marie (1st November 2017)

19. Link to Post #30
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

I only tried to answer your question from the historical perspective. For the "ET" involvement, I would refer you to the work of TrumanCash: MATRIX REVEALED -- Analysis & Solutions

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

BMJ (2nd February 2017), Chester (28th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (29th December 2016), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), seko (10th February 2017), Sierra (29th December 2016), thunder24 (28th December 2016)

21. Link to Post #31
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Thanks

I did read The Bible Code and after about fifty pages it dawned on me. You can find anything you fancy.
    Take a newspaper, any newspaper, and write down every 5th or 6th word and i garantee you these words can be linked to anything you want. It's like a piece of paper full of randomly placed dots, you can find a triangle or a square or a butterfly for that matter by connecties dots. So don't be fooled by these cheap cons.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Franro For This Post:

Chester (28th December 2016), East Sun (17th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (29th December 2016), Hervé (28th December 2016), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), seko (10th February 2017), Sierra (29th December 2016)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

I only tried to answer your question from the historical perspective. For the "ET" involvement, I would refer you to the work of TrumanCash: MATRIX REVEALED -- Analysis & Solutions

i appreciate that herve, i guess i assumed that the gods in old Testament and the Greeks were stories of E.T.s being portrayed as gods, thus why im confused I guess, thanks for your input though.
    The Good things in life

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

Chester (28th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (31st January 2017), Hervé (28th December 2016), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), Sierra (29th December 2016)

25. Link to Post #33
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

some paraphrased excerpts from that interview of post # 13
    Download: OGG, MP3

Plato’s Plan
    on how to create a brand new colony in a new location and create a new government for a new nation and the new citizens who were brought in would end up having total obedience and be so loyal to that new nation that it would last forever.

Plato gave a lot of forethoughts to that problem.

For Plato. The key to it all was to have a set of laws given by god or the gods in very ancient time. That is, that the laws of a nation were supposed to have a divine origin.

It’s kind of modeled on the divine laws of the Spartans and Greeks and a few other countries. For the Spartans, their constitution lasted 400 years and given to the founders of Sparta by Zeus.

Plato stated that it doesn’t matter if we are writing a new set of laws for the nation as long as we can make the people believe these laws are extremely ancient and that they are divine in origin.

There is this crucial passage where Plato stated:
    “If there exist laws under which men have been reared up and which, with heaven’s blessing, have remained unaltered for many centuries and for which there exist no recollection or reports for them having been any different from what they are now, then the whole soul is forbidden - by reverence and fear - to ever alter any of the things established in ancient time.

“So, by hook and by crook, by any device possible, our laws must be established by devices and means whereby this shall be true of this state.”

To sell the people that their laws were ancient and divine in origin and to program the consciousness of the nation, the rulers should investigate and incorporate all the local gods and deities and old temples that they can find in their areas; the old altars and ancient sacred laws and ancient festivals – sure, why not - we’ll incorporate these religious traditions into our law code.

Find out who the local priesthoods are and get their support and for inherited lines of priests, give them a role in our new government and we will adopt all legends so that all of this will create an aura of antiquity and a connection to the land and the gods of the land and bring the priests to align with the antiquity and divinity of the new laws.
    Additionally, Plato also laid out instructions for creating a national literature. This was really important to his overall strategy.

The most important text would be the law of [?]titude which the Jews call the Torah.

The rulers were supposed to review all literature and everything they had on hand and approve it or reject it, edit it, revise it for compatibility with these divine laws – the law code – and outlaw all foreign literature, books, etc… and the education was done by the state like for soldiers, starting at age 6 in Sparta. Thereby implementing a cultural isolation via censorship left to various councils constituted by members of the ruling class.

Youth will accept anything you teach them using the canonical literature and it would only take a generation or two for the citizens to forget their actual history. They would then come to believe that their laws and their way of life had been revealed to their ancestors by the gods… and that they are ruled, not by kings but by gods.

Back to that guy “Moses” :

Hecataeus of Abdera, Greek writer, went to Egypt and wrote a book for the first king of Egypt that came after Alexander the Great and in which he tells the story of the foundation of Judea and of a colonizing expedition led by a certain Egyptian “Moses” - because Egypt was overpopulated - that went to Judea because it was uninhabited at the time. He came up with 12 tribes and all sorts of laws, wrote a constitution and founded a temple and basically founded Jerusalem and its temple. According to this really typical Greek foundation story [Hecataeus’] written around 315 BC.

The Greeks’ king Ptolemy II Philadelphus who ruled Egypt, read this book by Hecataeus of Abdera and got very curious about the story of how this Egyptian named Moses wrote these laws of the Jews. So that they sent a request to the Jews saying: “We want to know about these laws that we found in this foundation story.” That’s when the Jews sent this delegation of scholars to Alexandria to provide a copy of their laws for the Great Library of Alexandria. These scholars basically took their cue from Hecataeus’ earlier foundation story.

Hecataeus didn’t know anything about the Bible nor ever heard of it [315 BC]

Around 280 BC. Berossus, a Babylonian priest who had access to Sumerian tablets locked up in monastic/temple libraries and, therefore, inaccessible to Jews during their “Babylonian” period, translated some tablets cuneiform content into Greek.

There is a strong similarity between Berossus’ “Pillars of Hercules” and Genesis.

Moses couldn’t have written the ‘book’ attributed to him simply because said book describes Moses’ death as well as the string of kings who followed after Moses’ death. Any need to mention that the Hebrew alphabet didn’t come to exist until 500 years after Moses’ time… so much for the "Word of 'God'" written unchanged/unaltered by Moses... in Hebrew.

======================

So, there you have it: the template/blue print for a NWO, ISIS AKA “Islamic State,” Hitler and the Aryan ancestry, or how Constantine received the green light from heaven to switch to the new religion and the ensuing purging of any incompatible literatures and the building of chapels, churches and cathedrals upon ancient pagan sites, etc… along with the division between the “initiated priesthoods/rulers” and the flocks, infidels, goyim, gentiles, etc… that is, the segregation between the programmers/elites/rulers, their “useful idiots” and the programmed.

Plato claimed to have been “inspired” in his musings and writings implying some "divine" input… which brings us to Truman’s “Eye of Ra” and the birth of religions on earth as well as Alex Collier 's "Orion Model.".

For a different perspective on Plato’s “Republic,” please, do check this article: Athens: Cradle of Pedophilia and Mind Control … and learn about the effective mind control effected on the would-be “citizens” as well as the pedophilic tradition of the “elite” that’s still persisting nowadays.

So, yes, these “elite” do know something we – and especially the good people of the “Book” – do not know… and that’s that it’s all balderdash, gobbledygook and baloney. The whole thing was/is a frigging hoax/psy-op/experiment!

Plato's idea gives a hint as to why these elites' are so obsessed with LOOOONNNG bloodlines, genetic ancestries, etc., that's supposed to give them "antiquity" and altitude over anyone else.

Plato's plan also gives one a clue as to why ignorance has become the preferred curriculum of modern "education."
    Last edited by Hervé; 1st November 2017 at 18:46.

26. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Antagenet (2nd November 2017), Bill Ryan (24th July 2017), Billy (11th August 2017), Blacklight43 (24th July 2017), BMJ (31st January 2017), Bruno (1st February 2017), Daughter of Time (1st February 2017), drneglector (25th July 2018), Ewan (1st February 2017), fourty-two (31st January 2017), Foxie Loxie (31st January 2017), gord (18th June 2018), Jad (30th July 2018), Jean-Marie (10th August 2017), justntime2learn (12th July 2018), kfm27917 (16th November 2019), Mark (16th May 2019), Matthew (30th May 2017), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), Olam (13th January 2018), Pam (15th December 2021), RunningDeer (2nd June 2017), seko (26th May 2017), Sophocles (1st February 2017), ThePythonicCow (29th July 2018), thunder24 (24th July 2017), Tintin (13th August 2017), Victoria (13th February 2022)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

WOW! Thanks so much, Herve, this has all been SO enlightening!

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th July 2017), Billy (11th August 2017), Ewan (10th February 2017), Hervé (31st January 2017), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), Pam (16th December 2021), Sophocles (1st February 2017), Tintin (13th August 2017)

29. Link to Post #35
    Norway Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,441 times in 780 posts

From Leonard Shlain`s The Alphabet vs. the Goddess; The Conflict Between Word and Image (1998):

Quote Extrapolating the experience of an individual to a culture, I hypothesized that when a critical mass of people within a society aqcuire literacy, especially alphabet literacy, left hemispheric modes of thought are reinforced at the expense of right hemispheric ones, which manifests as a decline in the status of images, women`s rights, and Goddess worship (p. 1).
    Quote Forced to learn the rules of grammar, scribes introduced into culture a novel concept: the transcription of codes of human conduct, or The Law. For the unlettered, conduct is regulated by taboos that are acknowledged by everyone in the tribe. Elders and shamans pass down these conventions through oral teaching. Tribal mores discourage individuality; everyone is inextricably enmeshed in the community at large, and in general violating a taboo brings misfortune on everyone. Breaking a law, however, singles out an individual. This significant distinction encourages individuality and ego development in literate societies. Customs organically grow with the maturing of a community; laws press down upon the people and can be initiated and manipulated by a privilevged elite. Scribes transferred the authority previously vested in the shaman`s chanted spells to the written word. Now, an abstraction called a law was in effect even when no one of influence was present. Posted throughout the kingdom on stone steale, these abstractions took on a life on their own, outliving the lawgivers themselves. Civil laws bear the unmistakable imprint of the rules of grammar. They are abstract, authoritative, and elude an ordinary individual`s ability to tamper with them (p. 51).
    Quote In A.D. 367, Christians canonized the New Testament, acknowledging the ancient book of the Hebrews as an integral part of their own story. Subsequently, the Muslims did so too. The Old Testamente`s triad of monotheism, Rule by Law, and the command to live ethically eventually became universal Western values (p. 73).
    Quote Examining the attitudes toward writing and women`s rights of Athens` three most famous philosophers -Socrates, Plato and Aristotle- will highlight the masculinizing effect of literacy. Socrates preferred the bimodal communication of speach and did not commit his ideas to paper. We know of them because of the writing of his pupil, Plato. Socrates dismissed writing, identifying it as a mere machanism «to remind him who know [about] the things that have been written». Socrates engaged both of his hemispheres in his search for truth. He was confident that the one-on-one give-and-take of debate was a better path to wisdom than sitting alone arguing only with himself and a pot of ink (p. 153).

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sophocles For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th July 2017), Billy (11th August 2017), drneglector (25th July 2018), Ewan (1st February 2017), Foxie Loxie (1st February 2017), Hervé (1st February 2017), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), seko (30th June 2017), thunder24 (24th July 2017)

31. Link to Post #36
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Yahweh was an interloper. Where that one comes from is a bit of a mystery.

Yaweh is not mentioned in Sumerian texts. Or in Sitchin's work. Yaweh does not seem to be of the Annunaki ilk. Even the name is alien, totally unlike Ea, Enki, Enlil, Nabu, Marduk...

I've given all my Zacharia texts away so I cannot reference other names.

But, given that Yaweh was first called the unknown or unseen god, Yaweh might have been RA - that's Amen Ra, as in the closing of every Christian prayer - amen!

Hope that helps Thunder

32. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th February 2017), Billy (11th August 2017), drneglector (25th July 2018), eaglespirit (10th February 2017), Ewan (10th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (10th February 2017), Hervé (10th February 2017), justntime2learn (12th July 2018), Lefty Dave (11th February 2017), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), Sophocles (10th February 2017), thunder24 (24th July 2017), Victoria (13th February 2022)

33. Link to Post #37
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Russell Gmirkin: The "Biblical" ideal king was actually a Greek idea

Neil Godfrey
    Vridar Thu, 09 Feb 2017 19:42 UTC

The Law of Moses placed limitations on the king that are "without parallel in the ancient Near East. Nowhere do we find legal curbs on the size of the military, the treasury, and the harem." (Berman, 53) From the law in Deuteronomy 17:14-20 we learn that:
    • The King was to be elected by an assembly of the citizens
    • The King was subject to written laws that had been prepared by the priests
    That is remarkable enough. But elsewhere in Deuteronomy we find other powers that your typical ancient Near Eastern king assigned to others so that according to the same book of law the king had
    • no judicial powers; he was not even the judge of final appeals
    • no religious function; he was not the guardian of the cult or temple
    • no military role, not even in wartime
    • no responsibility for economic relief of his subjects (e.g. debt remission, manumission)
    (Levinson, 529)
    All of this is quite unlike the kings we later read about in the history of Israel. Kings like David, Solomon, and their dynastic successors lived and ruled very much like the potentates of kingdoms and empires around them. But our interest here is the ideal king according to the Law of Moses.
    Deuteronomy 17:14-20

When you enter the land
    that Yhwh your God is giving you, and you possess it and settle in it, should you say:
    I will set over me a king
    like all the nations that are around me—

you may set, yes, set over you a king that Yhwh your God chooses;
    from among your brothers you may set over you a king, you may not place over you a foreign man who is not a brother-person to you.

Only:
    he is not to multiply horses for himself,
    and he is not to return the people to Egypt in order to multiply horses, since Yhwh has said to you: You will never return that way again!

And he is not to multiply wives for himself, that his heart not be turned-aside,
    and silver or gold he is not to multiply for himself to excess.

But it shall be:
    when he sits on the throne of his kingdom, he is to write himself a copy of this Instruction in a document, before the presence of [or, that is in the charge of] Levitical priests.

It is to remain beside him, he is to read out of it all the days of his life, in order that he may learn to have-awe-for Yhwh his God, to be-careful concerning all the words of this Instruction and these laws, to observe them,

that his heart not be raised above his brothers, that he not turn-aside from what-is-commanded, to the right or to the left;
    in order that he may prolong (his) days over his kingdom, he and his sons, in the midst of Israel.

Everett Fox translation
    The Greek world did know of such restrictions on kings, however.

Aristotle described various types of kingship including the elected and largely ceremonial office of the Athenian king, the Archon Basileus. Aristotle in fact counselled that the most stable monarchies were those with the least powers:
    On the other hand it is clear that monarchies, speaking generally, are preserved in safety as a result of the opposite causes to those by which they are destroyed. But taking the different sorts of monarchy separately—royalties are preserved by bringing them into a more moderate form; for the fewer powers the kings have, the longer time the office in its entirety must last, for they themselves become less despotic and more equal to their subjects in temper, and their subjects envy them less. For this was the cause of the long persistence of the Molossian royalty, and that of Sparta has continued because the office was from the beginning divided into two halves, and because it was again limited in various ways by Theopompus, in particular by his instituting the office of the ephors to keep a check upon it; for by taking away some of the kings' power he increased the permanence of the royal office, so that in a manner he did not make it less but greater. This indeed as the story goes is what he said in reply to his wife, when she asked if he felt no shame in bequeathing the royal power to his sons smaller than he had inherited it from his father: "Indeed I do not," he is said to have answered, "for I hand it on more lasting."

Politics, 1313a
    From the "classical era" on the Athenian Basileus assigned major cases to the appropriate courts; military leadership was a right assigned to another office, the Polemarch. He did maintain some religious duties and essentially his office was ceremonial.

Other Greek city states had variations of the kingship office: some were elected, others dynastic; some had two kings, others just the one and still others had a panel of kings; some had military and religious duties. In Cyrene the kings were at one point stripped of their military role.

Ancient Near Eastern kings were as far from any thought of being subject to written laws or the supervision of the priests as one can imagine. It was different among the Greeks, however.
    The requirement that the duties of the king should be performed in strict conformity to written law is a characteristically Greek notion. The creation of a copy of the law for royal reference is strikingly reminiscent of the publication of Athenian laws at the Royal Stoa. (Gmirkin, 35)

Royal Stoa in Athens

Plato (as did Aristotle) emphasised the importance of all offices being subject to laws:
    For wherever in a State the law is subservient and impotent, over that State I see ruin impending; but wherever the law is lord over the magistrates, and the magistrates are servants to the law, there I descry salvation and all the blessings that the gods bestow on States.

Laws, 3:715d
    The Torah of the King (Deut 17:18-20) requiring the Israelite king to write out the laws for himself. The idea that the king should become very familiar with the laws and perform his responsibilities in strict accordance to the laws is, Russell Gmirkin stresses,
    unequivocally a reflection of Greek political notions. (Gmirkin, 36)
    Compare what we read in the Hellenistic writing of Hecataeus of Abdera in his Aegyptica, as we read paraphrased in Diodorus Siculus:
    In the first place, then, the life which the kings of the Egyptians lived was not like that of other men who enjoy autocratic power and do in all matters exactly as they please without being held to account, but all their acts were regulated by prescriptions set forth in laws, not only their administrative acts, but also those that had to do with the way in which they spent their time from day to day . . .

Strange as it may appear that the king did not have the entire control of his daily fare, far more remarkable still was the fact that kings were not allowed to render any legal decision or transact any business at random or to punish anyone through malice or in anger or for any other unjust reason, but only in accordance with the established laws . . . .
    Subject to guidance of the priests

The passage describes a utopian state of affairs with priests guiding the daily affairs of the king (all the king's servants were even sons of priests!) and with all the subjects living happily ever after as a consequence of such a king.

Further on we read of the Persian king, Darius, studied the laws of Egypt diligently with the priests, again with a utopian society the outcome. (I read that Darius also made a copy of these laws but I am uncertain of the source of that claim):
    A sixth man to concern himself with the laws of the Egyptians, it is said, was Darius the father of Xerxes; for he was incensed at the lawlessness which his predecessor, Cambyses, had shown in the treatment of the sanctuaries of Egypt, and aspired to live a life of virtue and of piety towards the gods.

Indeed he associated with the priests of Egypt themselves, and took part with them in the study of theology and of the events recorded in their sacred books; and when he learned from these books about the greatness of soul of the ancient kings and about their goodwill towards their subjects he imitated their manner of life. For this reason he was the object of such great honour that he alone of all the kings was addressed as a god by the Egyptians in his lifetime, while at his death he was accorded equal honours with the ancient kings of Egypt who had ruled in strictest accord with the laws.

6 The system, then, of law used throughout the land was the work, they say, of the men just named, and gained a renown that spread among other peoples everywhere;
    Hecataeus (again via Diodorus Siculus, 40:3-4) further depicted a time when Moses chose all the wisest and most capable of men to become priests and judges and to manage all matters pertaining to justice and customs in the state.

Not that Hecataeus was describing historical reality. Rather, his writings represented "Greek political notions foreign to both Egyptians and Jews of pre-Hellenistic times." (That is, before 300 BCE.)

In all of Hecataeus's scenarios he portrays the priests as acting like censors of citizens' behaviour, guardians of the law, or nomophylakes to be technical. Priests in this role "acted as supervisors and legal advisors to the kings of Egypt." The office of nomophylakes was a feature of many Greek city-states. Aristotle described their function in Athenian Constitution 4:4 and 8:4:
    guardian of the laws . . . kept a watch on the magistrates to make them govern in accordance with the laws . . .

the duty of guarding the laws, just as it had existed even before as overseer . . . that kept watch over the greatest and the most important of the affairs of state, in particular correcting offenders with sovereign powers . . .
    The nomophylakes supervised both the behaviour of the magistrates and the general public.
    The explicit role of the levitical priests as guardians and public advocates of the written laws that were to be obeyed by the magistrates and people alike, and implicit responsibility for educating the king in his duties of office via these writings and enforcing the written statutes upon the king, casts the levitical priests in the distinctly Greek office of nomophylakes, the same office given the priestly successors of Moses in the foundation story by Hecataeus. (Gmirkin, 36)
    Hecataeus on the priests:
    The leader of this colony was one Moses, a very wise and valiant man, who, after he had possessed himself of the country, amongst other cities, built that now most famous city, Jerusalem, and the temple there, which is so greatly revered among them. He instituted the holy rites and ceremonies with which they worship God; and made laws for the methodical government of the state. . . . He also picked out the most accomplished men, who were best fitted to rule and govern the whole nation, and he appointed them to be priests, whose duty was continually to attend in the temple, and employ themselves in the public worship and service of God.

He also made them judges, for the decision of the most serious cases, and committed to their care the preservation of their laws and customs. Therefore they say that the Jews have never had any king; but that the leadership of the people has always been entrusted to a priest, who excels all the rest in prudence and virtue. They call him the chief priest, and they regard him as the messenger and interpreter of the mind and commands of God. . . . . . . This is what Hecataeus of Abdera has related about the Jews.
    Gmirkin reminds us to compare the writings of Plato in this context.
    It is interesting that in Plato's Republic, where the phyla's or Guardians constituted a special tribe of philosopher-kings, the phylakes were to possess neither land nor houses (Republic 3.341d-417e), much like the biblical tribe of Levites in Deut. 12.12, 18-19; 14.22-27; 18.1-2; Josh. 13.14, 33; 18.7 (but unlike the Levites who possessed cities and houses at Lev. 25.32-34; Josh. 21.1-42). (Gmirkin, 64)

Sources:
    Continuing my series on Plato and the Creation of the Hebrew Bible by Russell Gmirkin in which it is argued that the Pentateuch owes a heavy debt to the Greek philosophical and political writings of the Greeks located in the Great Library of Alexandria.

Previous posts:
    1. Plato and the Creation of the Hebrew Bible
    2. The Pentateuch's Debt to Greek Laws and Constitutions — A New Look
    3. David, an Ideal Greek Hero — and other Military Matters in Ancient Israel
    4. Some preliminaries before resuming Gmirkin's Plato and the Creation of the Hebrew Bible
    5. The Tribes of Israel modeled on the Athenian and Ideal Greek Tribes?
    6. The Bible's Assemblies and Offices Based on Greek Institutions?
    7. Similarities between Biblical and Greek Judicial Systems
    ===================================================

See posts #13 and #33

34. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th February 2017), Billy (11th August 2017), Bruno (18th May 2017), drneglector (27th July 2018), Ewan (10th February 2017), fourty-two (24th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (10th February 2017), gord (19th September 2019), Lefty Dave (11th February 2017), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), Pam (16th December 2021), Sophocles (10th February 2017), thunder24 (24th July 2017), Victoria (13th February 2022)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,534 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)

I've given all my Zecharia [Sitchin] texts away so I cannot reference other names.
    Most of them are now here:

36. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Billy (11th August 2017), BMJ (12th February 2017), drneglector (27th July 2018), Ernie Nemeth (11th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (10th February 2017), Hervé (10th February 2017), Lefty Dave (11th February 2017), Magnus (10th February 2017), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), Sophocles (10th February 2017), thunder24 (24th July 2017), Victoria (13th February 2022)

37. Link to Post #39
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Plato's administrative division of conquered territories into "Tribes" leading to the justification that ten of them got "lost' and the blueprint for the "Holy Roman Empire':

... with Napoleon and Hitler attempts at recreating it...

38. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th July 2017), Billy (11th August 2017), drneglector (27th July 2018), Ewan (15th December 2021), Foxie Loxie (24th July 2017), justntime2learn (11th August 2017), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), Noelle (24th July 2017), Sophocles (18th June 2018), thunder24 (24th July 2017), Victoria (13th February 2022)

39. Link to Post #40
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,486 times in 1,711 posts

Didn't the Catholic Church do that, meaning, take other peoples beliefs and incorporate them into Christianity.
    That is the greatest slap in the face to indigenous people's beliefs IMO.

40. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

drneglector (27th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (10th August 2017), Hervé (10th August 2017), justntime2learn (11th August 2017), Lifebringer (11th August 2017), Michelle Marie (1st November 2017), Pam (21st September 2023), Sophocles (18th June 2018), Victoria (13th February 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast