+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Grow your own teeth

1. Link to Post #1
    New Zealand Avalon Member witchy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,712 times in 1,183 posts

Default Grow your own teeth

Do you know that scientists at the University of Alberta, successfully proved that we CAN grow our own teeth with the simple application of ultrasound. Just a few months ago I was reading the the wave strength and length of the specification and didnt save it........now of course its missing! and in its place is all the stem cell stuff. The device is called LIPUS, which stands for “low-intensity pulsed ultrasound". The engineers are Dr Jie Chen from the Faculty of Engineering. Its wireless and they were developing a really small version to stick in your mouth some how, as the original prototype was large and used outside the mouth. But it worked.

This occured in 2002 - 2006
    http://www.rexresearch.com/chentoth/chentth.htm
    http://www.naturalnews.com/019504.html

It appears that the type of wave used has been buried. Someone said you can get them on EBay, but doubt that are at the right frequency.

(Now, they are saying that we can grow our own teeth, by stem cells implants, and of couse this technology is a long way off.)

This device could be the biggest breakthrough in dentistry ever. And now it appears lost forever! Not pharma based either. (yes I know the USS issues) I have sent them an email, but of course no response. Grrrr

Has anyone heard anything more about this??
    Thanks in anticipation
    W

2. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to witchy1 For This Post:

anikohu (1st January 2011), astrid (29th November 2010), bluestflame (30th November 2010), childs hood end (17th May 2012), Darla Ken Pearce (18th May 2012), DarMar (17th May 2012), Dawn (7th September 2011), DeDukshyn (18th May 2012), Eram (17th May 2012), Ernie Nemeth (5th September 2011), g.k.r (5th September 2011), genevieve (17th May 2012), jeannacav (2nd January 2011), ketturah (7th September 2011), ktlight (5th September 2011), mab777 (18th May 2012), Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), Maia Gabrial (5th September 2011), MargueriteBee (30th November 2010), Marianne (5th September 2011), MessiahMews (17th May 2012), Midnight Rambler (5th September 2011), MorgaineFallen (5th September 2011), nearing (17th May 2012), shadowstalker (6th December 2010), sygh (18th May 2012), Tea (2nd January 2011), Timreh (17th May 2012), Turcurulin (22nd May 2012), Vitalux (5th September 2011), webyourstuff (4th January 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,422 times in 3,394 posts

Default Re: Grow your own teeth

WOW Witchy , great find.. I love these non- pharma breakthrough stories...surprise surprise that they are claiming the specifications weren't saved, i somehow doubt that,
    preventive health is not part of their agenda.

I have a GP that works in nutritional and mind/body medicine, hes fanatastic and always exploring new modalities especially with light and sound, ( im going to send him these links) . He uses bio-feedback technologies for brain related issues, it works a treat. There are people out there still fighting the good fight, against big pharma , you just have to dig a little to find them.
    The greatest privilege of a human life is to become a
    midwife to the awakening of the Soul in another person.”
    ~ Plato

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to astrid For This Post:

bluestflame (30th November 2010), Darla Ken Pearce (18th May 2012), Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), Maia Gabrial (5th September 2011), Marianne (5th September 2011), witchy1 (30th November 2010)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by witchy1 (here)
    Do you know that scientists at the University of Alberta, successfully proved that we CAN grow our own teeth with the simple application of ultrasound. Just a few months ago I was reading the the wave strength and length of the specification and didnt save it........now of course its missing! and in its place is all the stem cell stuff. The device is called LIPUS, which stands for “low-intensity pulsed ultrasound". The engineers are Dr Jie Chen from the Faculty of Engineering. Its wireless and they were developing a really small version to stick in your mouth some how, as the original prototype was large and used outside the mouth. But it worked.

This occured in 2002 - 2006
    http://www.rexresearch.com/chentoth/chentth.htm
    http://www.naturalnews.com/019504.html

It appears that the type of wave used has been buried. Someone said you can get them on EBay, but doubt that are at the right frequency.

(Now, they are saying that we can grow our own teeth, by stem cells implants, and of couse this technology is a long way off.)

This device could be the biggest breakthrough in dentistry ever. And now it appears lost forever! Not pharma based either. (yes I know the USS issues) I have sent them an email, but of course no response. Grrrr

Has anyone heard anything more about this??
    Thanks in anticipation
    W
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I did hear a report about that a few months ago, but not surprisingly, the story evaporated. Must be the dentist's lobby (lol, but i would not be surprised). Just another GBPTB ( stealing this from zoo, but adding greedy). The story has to be out there somewhere.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Banshee For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (18th May 2012), Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), Marianne (5th September 2011), sygh (18th May 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,092 times in 20,639 posts

I would imagine that discoveries like this are being reserved for the elite, so are probably not lost, just hidden, like so much else...

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), Maia Gabrial (5th September 2011), Marianne (5th September 2011), Syl (5th September 2011), witchy1 (30th November 2010)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Banshee For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), Marianne (5th September 2011)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Thanks Banshee, didnt come up - but url suggests its a nonotech gel, which I read about as well...........this is a simple hand held ultrasound device. I will keep looking for the specs

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to witchy1 For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (18th May 2012), Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), Maia Gabrial (5th September 2011), Marianne (5th September 2011)

13. Link to Post #7
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by witchy1 (here)
    Thanks Banshee, didnt come up - but url suggests its a nonotech gel, which I read about as well...........this is a simple hand held ultrasound device. I will keep looking for the specs
    That's weird, I clicked on my link and it opened. There is another link in that article about growing your own teeth with stem cells.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Banshee For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), Marianne (5th September 2011)

15. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Here's a copy/paste of the stem cell article- the other article is about a plasma blow torch that could be used to clean teeth ( probably not relevant)

Human molar scaffolding Dr. Jeremy Mao has unveiled a technique that directs the body's stem cells into a scaffolding that will aid in the regeneration of a new tooth. Columbia University Medical Center
    The loss of a tooth is a minor deformity and a major pain. Although dental implants are available, the healing process can take months on end, and implants that fail to align with the ever-growing jawbone tend to fall out. If only adult teeth could be regenerated, right?

According to a study published in the latest Journal of Dental Research, a new tissue regeneration technique may allow people to simply regrow a new set of pearly whites.

Dr. Jeremy Mao, the Edward V. Zegarelli Professor of Dental Medicine at Columbia University Medical Center, has unveiled a growth factor-infused, three-dimensional scaffold with the potential to regenerate an anatomically correct tooth in just nine weeks from implantation. By using a procedure developed in the university's Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine Laboratory, Dr. Mao can direct the body's own stem cells toward the scaffold, which is made of natural materials. Once the stem cells have colonized the scaffold, a tooth can grow in the socket and then merge with the surrounding tissue.

Dr. Mao's technique not only eliminates the need to grow teeth in a Petri dish, but it is the first to achieve regeneration of anatomically correct teeth by using the body's own resources. Factor in the faster recovery time and the comparatively natural process of regrowth (as opposed to implantation), and you have a massively appealing dental treatment.

Columbia University has already filed patent applications in regard to the technology and is seeking associates to aid in its commercialization. In the meantime, Dr. Mao is considering the best approach for applying his technique to cost-effective clinical therapies.

[Columbia University Medical Center]

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Banshee For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (18th May 2012), Dawn (7th September 2011), Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), Marianne (5th September 2011), Morgaine (5th September 2011), sygh (19th May 2012), witchy1 (30th November 2010)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

The ADA are a pile of twisting snakes, just like the AMA. They tell us that our teeth cannot be re-mineralized, that fluoride is good, that mercury is like candy, that we need toothpaste, to use mouthwash that kill good bacteria, that we need them. All mis-truths.

The great dentist Dr. Weston Price taught us that prevention is as easy as pie. He also wrote the bible on nutrition and it's effects on the body.

Reader's Digest once conducted a study to determine how effective dentists were. They sent a man with perfect dental health across the country, visiting 50 different dentists. Ready for this? He got 50 different opinions! Only one dentist told him that he did not need anything done to his teeth. One honest man out of 50. Amazing.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (18th May 2012), Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), Maia Gabrial (5th September 2011), Marianne (5th September 2011), Miller (8th January 2011), shadowstalker (6th December 2010), Siberia9 (5th September 2011), transitionalman (17th May 2012)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Hiya Conk, Im hearing you! my teeth were butchered at primary school. I am sure the dental nurse drilled for the sake of drilling. (plus my party trick was opening beer bottles with my side teeth - paying for that now) I still cant find the specs for the ultra sound wave strength........frustrating

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to witchy1 For This Post:

conk (17th May 2012), Darla Ken Pearce (18th May 2012), Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), Marianne (5th September 2011)

21. Link to Post #11
    Australia Avalon Member str8thinker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 times in 530 posts

Thanks Witchy for starting this interesting thread. There seem to be plenty of articles on the web about this:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/30/n...re-grow-teeth/
    http://lipus.org/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_int...sed_ultrasound

And even a mouthwash:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ust-years.html

My advice would be to ask your dentist next time you visit him/her what the status of this invention is. Many don't stand the test of time as even faster or safer technologies replace them.

As you can see from the Wikipedia article, LIPUS can be used for more than just teeth. The article includes links to original medical papers. Ultrasound in stimulating growth is far from new. Like acupuncture, I think it definitely has a place, but it will take some time before its optimum niche is determined.
    Last edited by str8thinker; 6th December 2010 at 08:00.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to str8thinker For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (18th May 2012), Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), Marianne (5th September 2011), MessiahMews (22nd May 2012), sygh (19th May 2012)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Hi Str8thinker, yes thanks for all the links, and have read all of that.

My issue is that lipus has gone from being a hand held object applied 20 mins a day with a new tooth in a couple on months to one that fits inside the mouth (patent pending) and pulsed at regular intervals - making so much easier.....to now - who ever it is has got hold of it - progressed to a whizz bang nano thing to the whole stem cell outside grown tooth then implanted to an inside grown stem cell tooth no doubt at huge cost when its finally released.

it looks to me like all they have done is in effect to stop the release of this much needed basic ultra sound device. people dont care if you have to hold it outside, or if its just little, to inside the mouth. The point is, its not on the market and should have been a couple of years ago when it was ready..........they can do all the high tech stuff later, but of course if they release it now - who would want to use the stem cell stuff.

I think they need to get the stock standard uss out to the masses. That little uss device would not have been that expensive to make. Its such a huge issue for people who dont have time to wait or the money to even go to a dentist.

if I could find the original specs, i could go hunting for a similar devise and just use it.

Addit: my teeth arnt that bad, I just want to use it to grow a new tooth thats irritating me.
    Last edited by witchy1; 6th December 2010 at 10:58.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to witchy1 For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), Marianne (5th September 2011), sygh (19th May 2012)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

greets witchy1...I read an article about that several months ago and if memory serves, the research and results were coming from Japan (maybe China) But it was being conducted in an Asian country.
    Hope that helps the search.
    Ki

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ki's For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (18th May 2012), Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), Marianne (5th September 2011), witchy1 (6th December 2010)

27. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Does anyone know what pulse rate and frequency LUPIS uses? I might give it a try, just need to buy a ultrasound device that fits in your mouth xP

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SkepticSoul For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), Marianne (5th September 2011), sygh (19th May 2012)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Here is what I found. Hope it helps.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0628234304.htm

Ultrasound May Help Regrow Teeth

ScienceDaily (June 28, 2006) — Hockey players, rejoice! A team of University of Alberta researchers has created technology to regrow teeth - the first time scientists have been able to reform human dental tissue.

Using low-intensity pulsed ultrasound (LIPUS), Dr. Tarak El-Bialy from the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry and Drs. Jie Chen and Ying Tsui from the Faculty of Engineering have created a miniaturized system-on-a-chip that offers a non-invasive and novel way to stimulate jaw growth and dental tissue healing.

"It's very exciting because we have shown the results and actually have something you can touch and feel that will impact the health of people in Canada and throughout the world," said Chen, who works out of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and the National Institute for Nanotechnology.

The wireless design of the ultrasound transducer means the miniscule device will be able to fit comfortably inside a patient's mouth while packed in biocompatible materials. The unit will be easily mounted on an orthodontic or "braces" bracket or even a plastic removable crown. The team also designed an energy sensor that will ensure the LIPUS power is reaching the target area of the teeth roots within the bone. TEC Edmonton, the U of A's exclusive tech transfer service provider, filed the first patent recently in the U.S. Currently, the research team is finishing the system-on-a-chip and hopes to complete the miniaturized device by next year.

"If the root is broken, it can now be fixed," said El-Bialy. "And because we can regrow the teeth root, a patient could have his own tooth rather than foreign objects in his mouth."

The device is aimed at those experiencing dental root resorption, a common effect of mechanical or chemical injury to dental tissue caused by diseases and endocrine disturbances. Mechanical injury from wearing orthodontic braces causes progressive root resorption, limiting the duration that braces can be worn. This new device will work to counteract the destructive process while allowing for the continued wearing of corrective braces. With approximately five million people in North America presently wearing orthodontic braces, the market size for the device would be 1.4 million users.

In a true tale of interdisciplinary work, El-Bialy met Chen at the U of A's new staff orientation. After hearing about Chen's expertise in nanoscale circuit design and nano-biotechnology, El-Bialy explained his own research and asked if Chen might be able to help produce a tiny ultrasound device to fit in a patient's mouth. The two collaborated and eventually along with Tsui received a grant from Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council's "Idea to Innovation," program to expand on their prototype.

El-Bialy first discovered new dental tissue was being formed after using ultrasound on rabbits. In one study, published in the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, El-Bialy used ultrasound on one rabbit incisor and left the other incisor alone. After seeing the surprising positive results, he moved on to humans and found similar results. He has also shown that LIPUS can improve jaw growth in cases with hemifacial microsomia, a congenital syndrome where one side of the child's jaw or face is underdeveloped compared to the other normal side. These patients usually undergo many surgeries to improve their facial appearance. This work on human patients was presented at the World Federation of Orthodontics in Paris, September 2005.

"After proving it worked, we looked at creating a smaller ultrasound carrier where we can take the patient out as a variable," said El-Bialy. "Before this, a patient would have to hold the ultrasound for 20 minutes a day for a year and that is a lot to ask."

The researchers are currently working on turning their prototype into a market-ready model and expect the device to be ready for the public within next two years.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happyexpat For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (18th May 2012), ktlight (5th September 2011), Mad Hatter (17th May 2012)

31. Link to Post #16
    Portugal Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,751 times in 1,168 posts

http://www.futurepundit.com/archives..._and_gums.html

What is it ???...these sites are very weird !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ust-years.html
    Ultrasound could 're-grow' broken teeth in just 12 weeks

In a separate development, scientists revealed recently that teeth broken in an accident could soon be 'regrown' using an ultrasound machine half the size of a thumbnail.
    The process could take just 12 weeks. Ultrasound is already used to help heal broken bones, now the technology is being applied to teeth.
    Nanotechnology, which can reduce electronic circuitry to one thousandth of the size of a human hair, has enabled scientists to develop an ultrasound device small enough to fit inside the mouth.
    A wafer-thin ultrasound chip, which is preprogrammed so that it turns on automatically, can be clipped onto the teeth. When it is on, ultrasound waves massage the gums to stimulate and increase blood flow to produce new tooth tissue.
    The treatment takes just 20 minutes a day. The current version of the machine has a small handheld device which tells the patient when it is working.
    Dr Tarek El-Bialy, of the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada, discovered the use of ultrasound to form new dental tissue from his research on rabbit incisors. He then moved on to humans and found similar results.
    Last edited by MariaDine; 1st January 2011 at 05:22.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to MariaDine For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th May 2012)

33. Link to Post #17
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,835 times in 232 posts

Quote LIPUS has been used since early 1980s, mainly for bone-fracture healing and to heal other tissue, such as tendons and skin ulcers. Dr. El-Bialy first discovered that ultrasound can stimulate dental tissue formation in rabbits in 1999, when he cut the lower jaw to lengthen it and applied LIPUS to help bone formation at the surgical cut site. The rabbit teeth start to grow faster on the treated side than on the non-treated side. He published the results of this experiment in the American Journal of Orthodontics.

Following his research on the animal model, Dr. El-Bialy started working on human teeth that undergo shortening (resorption) in people who wear orthodontic braces. He found LIPUS can prevent this shortening from happening by a daily 20-minute application over four weeks.

The handheld device used in the above research was cumbersome, however. So, over the last few years, his team has been developing a refined prototype that can be used inside the mouth. The miniaturized device is now undergoing electronic and biological testing, and a completed version should be ready to start clinical trials by November 2008.

More...
    Last edited by Richard; 1st January 2011 at 05:33.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), TargeT (7th September 2011), Tea (2nd January 2011)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Thanks Richard and MariaDine this is the first of the prototype I have seen...dinky wee thing it is. I wonder if its a patent pending thing thats causing the delay in production. I did send an email to Dr El-Bialy at the university of alberta in edmondon canada re the release date and purchase avenues- but no reply. He was part of a team of 3 who discovered the effects of ultra sound on teeth.

I would really like to know where this product is now. Someone said they are selling on ebay (but odds on, it will be the wrong pulse rate or Hz thingy) so not risking it.

Skepticsoul, you dont need a small one, they originally did it apply a larger one on the outside of the mouth (ie on the face) I have read the actual strength of the ultrasound somewhere but of course its now mia. I will keep up the search tho

Thanks everyone

36. The Following User Says Thank You to witchy1 For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th May 2012)

37. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member xbusymom's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 times in 396 posts

I am very interested in this also...

the dentist that I went to in my early 20's said I had an overproduction of gum-tissue and conned me into getting it cut off and cauterized... so now I have all of my front teeth rotting at the root and falling out-

I will even offer myself as a lab rat... 20 minutes just before bedtime is not too much to ask if it means I can get my teeth back...
    Last edited by xbusymom; 2nd January 2011 at 05:07.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xbusymom For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (18th May 2012), Mad Hatter (17th May 2012)

39. Link to Post #20
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hi,
    To start I found some info from wiki...

"Typical diagnostic sonographic scanners operate in the frequency range of 1 to 18 megahertz, though frequencies up to 50-100 megahertz has been used experimentally in a technique known as biomicroscopy in special regions, such as the anterior chamber of eye.[citation needed] The above frequencies are hundreds of times greater than the limit of human hearing, which is typically accepted as 20 kilohertz. The choice of frequency is a trade-off between spatial resolution of the image and imaging depth: lower frequencies produce less resolution but image deeper into the body."

and

"Superficial structures such as muscles, tendons, testes, breast and the neonatal brain are imaged at a higher frequency (7-18 MHz), which provides better axial and lateral resolution. Deeper structures such as liver and kidney are imaged at a lower frequency 1-6 MHz with lower axial and lateral resolution but greater penetration."

There's no Mention of teeth, but they are superficial so, maybe higher.
    It doesn't look harmful to pick the wrong one.
    I think this pulsed stuff is more health producing than harmful. (Don't let them know that we know!)
    It is the constant grinding 50 or 60 hz sinewave stuff of our power lines that is hurtful to our bodies. AFAIK.

I have been doing a lot of work with 5KHZ to 208KHZ. When the circuits are on I feel good and when they are off, I miss them.

jeanna.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jeannacav For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (18th May 2012), Mad Hatter (17th May 2012), webyourstuff (4th January 2011), witchy1 (2nd January 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast