+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SEEKING IT PROFESSIONAL for 9/11 research

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default SEEKING IT PROFESSIONAL for 9/11 research

If anyone on this site has deep IT skills, please PM me.

I am searching for information concerning the way files are date stamped when they are created and subsequently modified.

Thank you,
    Winston

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to winstonsmith For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th November 2015), Constance (13th November 2015), Michelle Marie (13th November 2015), Nasu (13th November 2015), Star Tsar (13th November 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Default Re: SEEKING IT PROFESSIONAL for 9/11 research

I can answer your questions, but why go PM? lets do it public so everyone can learn!

What operating system are you interested in (they all handle it basically the same, but there are some differences that are important with time stamps between windows and unix/linux and possibly apple (which I know almost nothing about))
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Constance (13th November 2015), JChombre (13th November 2015), Michelle Marie (13th November 2015), Nasu (13th November 2015), Richard S. (14th November 2015), Snoweagle (13th November 2015), Sunny-side-up (14th November 2015), ThePythonicCow (13th November 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

if anyone else is interested, here's what I PM'd

well forensically speaking, for the evidence to be considered "admit-able in court" you'd need access to the original systems, granted that might be impossible. The best you are going to come up with otherwise is just good circumstantial evidence.

.txt is a file format that is used across all systems. Time stamps are handled a bit differently for each OS (operating System) but basically it boils down to MAC (modified, access, and change time stamps) though how the disks are formatted, are they using FAT32, NTFS matters as well, but only in mili seconds.

Start here: http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/MAC_times#Linux

With Microsoft you will mostly be using NTFS which keeps track of lots of time stamps. Each file has a time stamp for 'Create', 'Modify', 'Access', and 'Entry Modified'. The latter refers to the time when the MFT entry itself was modified. These four values are commonly abbreviated as the 'MACE' values. Note that other attributes in each MFT record may also contain timestamps that are of forensic value. (more indepth info here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299648)

Anyway, as I've said a few times, unless you have access to the system that the file came off of, everything is kind of suspect.. BUT that should give you a good start
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Constance (13th November 2015), Michelle Marie (13th November 2015), Nasu (13th November 2015), Snoweagle (13th November 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,098 times in 2,584 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    I can answer your questions, but why go PM? lets do it public so everyone can learn!

What operating system are you interested in (they all handle it basically the same, but there are some differences that are important with time stamps between windows and unix/linux and possibly apple (which I know almost nothing about))
    Hey, thanks! When I read this, I thought...I don't know, but I'd like to!
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

TargeT (13th November 2015)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,098 times in 2,584 posts

I used/compared date and time stamps on a police dashcam video, my iPhone video, and the police dispatch. The minutes were the same (varied by seconds) and showed the timing of the event. The court was "out of order" once again, and I did not win that portion of my case. As it comes to Light, the evidence will be so clear that no legalese, double speak, or good-ole-boys network can deny it. The Universe KNOWS the Truth. Actually, everyone involved does, but lies held up in the court. That WILL be proved. I rest my case on the Universal Order: Truth is eternal while lies dissolve under scrutiny.

Really, I feel forgiveness toward those who lie, but it MUST STOP! Doing harm to others will not be permitted.

Thanks for the information. I've stored it for future reference.

Lots of love,
    Michelle Marie
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

TargeT (13th November 2015)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,368 times in 300 posts

Keep in mind that file date and timestamps can be modified on most (if not all) operating systems. Often with little or no way to prove tampering. Most people won't know how to do this, so you can rely on them for the most part.

12. Link to Post #7
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,068 times in 698 posts

The date on files itself is given by the filesystem that created the file, it is very easy to manipulate and can never be trusted.
    " Loka samasta sukhino bhavantu / May all beings in all worlds be happy and free and may the thoughts, words and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all "

tibetian mantra

13. The Following User Says Thank You to seehas For This Post:

TargeT (14th November 2015)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by seehas (here)
    The date on files itself is given by the filesystem that created the file, it is very easy to manipulate and can never be trusted.
    this is why it's so important to have the original system, I do computer forensics & it's very trustworthy if you have the original system and you follow the proper evidence handling steps (chain of custody is SUPER important in this). It definitely can be done, but with out the original system that created & holds the file in question... well everything from there out is circumstantial evidence (at best).
    Where are you?

+ Reply to Thread