+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coloring books for adults

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Coloring books for adults

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts, ideas or information on the coloring books for adults that are currently flooding the market.
    We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.
    Calloway

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ki's For This Post:

fourty-two (21st November 2015), Innocent Warrior (20th November 2015), janette (21st November 2015), RunningDeer (24th November 2015), Shannon (20th November 2015), Skyhaven (20th November 2015), ZooLife (21st November 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Coloring books for adults

Personally I think they are quite therapeutic; as a child I could sit hours on end with a pencil in my hand and a colouring book; however due to time constraints at the moment it isn't something I could sit hours on end doing anymore (unfortunately). If you are interested in perhaps purchasing a 'more grown up' style colouring book, may I suggest looking at the first 5 products in this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=dp_byl...=relevancerank In my opinion I like the animal portraits book or even any book that features architecture. :-D
    The truth exists, it's only a matter of how to find it.

-Kez :-D

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kez For This Post:

fourty-two (21st November 2015), Innocent Warrior (20th November 2015), janette (21st November 2015), Ki's (21st November 2015), RunningDeer (24th November 2015), Shannon (20th November 2015), Skyhaven (20th November 2015), ZooLife (21st November 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 times in 246 posts

Red face Re: Coloring books for adults

Quote Posted by Ki's (here)
    Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts, ideas or information on the coloring books for adults that are currently flooding the market.
    Hi,I have two of the joanna Bradford colouring books. The designs are beautiful with intricate drawings straight from the illustrators imagination. I also have one with mandelas in to colour,the more detailed the better I think. It takes me back to my childhood which is never a bad thing. I also find them wonderfully calming,am usually colouring while listening to project camelot videos 😉 hope you enjoy them too 😊 x

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to janette For This Post:

fourty-two (21st November 2015), Innocent Warrior (20th November 2015), Ki's (21st November 2015), Philaletheian (21st November 2015), RunningDeer (24th November 2015), Shannon (20th November 2015), Skyhaven (20th November 2015), ZooLife (21st November 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,847 times in 715 posts

I was just discussing this with a friend today as I noticed over the weekend that they are everywhere ... personally, it creeps me out ... infantilization ... busy work for adults that may find some time to kill and may, god forbid, have a critical thought ... do some research ... question ... no no, we can't have that ... don't read or research guys ... colour ... its mindless ... and actually not even creative ...

8. Link to Post #5
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,554 times in 3,482 posts

It's a very effective stress reducing tool. My son's friend's Mum is a nurse and prints off pages from the internet, she has a folder of them, in clear plastic pockets.

100 free geometry colouring in images here.

Colouring pages for adults here. You might want to lighten those ones before printing, they have shading and are heavy on the ink.

Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

DeDukshyn (21st November 2015), fourty-two (21st November 2015), Franny (24th November 2015), janette (21st November 2015), Jean-Marie (20th November 2015), Ki's (21st November 2015), meeradas (21st November 2015), RunningDeer (24th November 2015), Shannon (21st November 2015), Skyhaven (20th November 2015), ZooLife (21st November 2015)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Well colouring has to be better than watching TV!

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lancelot For This Post:

DeDukshyn (21st November 2015), fourty-two (21st November 2015), janette (21st November 2015), Ki's (21st November 2015), meeradas (21st November 2015), RunningDeer (24th November 2015), Shannon (21st November 2015), Skyhaven (20th November 2015)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Well, I guess I've noticed a disturbing trend...and these seem to be a part of it. I think we're all aware of the sexualization (is that a word?) of children, but more recently I've noticed an infantilization of adults. It seems they are pushing adult diapers on a younger population, gummy vitamins are everywhere and now coloring books. It seems to be a trend and that makes me want to look at it a little more closely. Are marketers simply trying to cash in on a population that wants to be 'young at heart' or are there subliminal implications?
    We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.
    Calloway

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ki's For This Post:

meeradas (21st November 2015), Nasu (21st November 2015), Shannon (21st November 2015)

14. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,452 times in 8,541 posts

Well, I guess I've noticed a disturbing trend...and these seem to be a part of it. I think we're all aware of the sexualization (is that a word?) of children, but more recently I've noticed an infantilization of adults. It seems they are pushing adult diapers on a younger population, gummy vitamins are everywhere and now coloring books. It seems to be a trend and that makes me want to look at it a little more closely. Are marketers simply trying to cash in on a population that wants to be 'young at heart' or are there subliminal implications?
    Here's children playing: Laughing, running, rolling, creating, imagining, loving.
    Here's children playing like Adults: Grump faced, "Do as I say!", controlling, going to work, watching TV, fighting, winning, making more money.

Something tells me that our perception of what an "Adult" should be is messed up, and should not be used to determine what is perceived "right" and "wrong". When your baseline is off, all judgements are inherently flawed.

Bring on the colouring books!!!!
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 21st November 2015 at 19:26.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Ellisa (22nd November 2015), Franny (24th November 2015), Ki's (21st November 2015), lightwalker (24th November 2015), meeradas (21st November 2015), raregem (21st November 2015), RunningDeer (24th November 2015), Shannon (21st November 2015), sunpaw (21st November 2015)

16. Link to Post #9
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

There is something very calming about these colouring books. I bought one for my granddaughters, but so far it hasn't reached them, and I am getting lots of -probably non-adult- fun from it!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

Franny (24th November 2015), RunningDeer (24th November 2015)

18. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Heartsong's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 times in 498 posts

They serve the same purpose as knitting, embroidery, golf or reading internet forums. Not terribly purposeful except to rest the mind.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heartsong For This Post:

DeDukshyn (24th November 2015), Franny (24th November 2015), RunningDeer (24th November 2015)

20. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,452 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Heartsong (here)
    They serve the same purpose as knitting, embroidery, golf or reading internet forums. Not terribly purposeful except to rest the mind.
    Well, I like to think the forum is more useful than golf. It might allow people to meet in some way and have a further positive effect because of that meeting, or the fact that our discussions often lead to a broader / more accurate picture than the sum of the parts could provide; and all this on often critical topics; etc.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Franny (24th November 2015), Heartsong (25th November 2015), RunningDeer (24th November 2015)

22. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,302 times in 18,139 posts

Zentangles is relaxing. The top one is an a money envelop I made for my nephew. The rest I picked up from Ellen Wolters YouTube Channel. At the bottom of the page ‘click on more’.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

DeDukshyn (24th November 2015), Franny (24th November 2015)

24. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,320 times in 2,100 posts

My friends mother told me that when her kids came home from school she would have a snack for them and then have them sit down for a little R&R. This would usually be in the form of coloring books or large puzzles. She noted that they were relaxed and would speak much more freely to her about what was going on in their lives, with their friends and at school. They were less self censoring at this time.

The mind slows down while coloring or drawing, perhaps even a meditative state. Not all of us are gifted enough to draw well so these coloring books can fill that gap for non artistic people.

Grab a few and hang out with friends and talk while coloring...or drawing if that's your forte. You may be a little surprised to observe that it does relax people and conversation can flow in interesting ways.

My father used to do those funky paint by the number oil paintings for relaxation, he didn't frame them and hang them on the wall, lol.

I have a few adult coloring books and do it while listening to music or interviews etc. I don't feel like it's infantilizing me. I don't think I'm doing art, just relaxing. My little neighbor kids think it's cool too . There are 4 little ones and their mom uses the same technique mentioned above to get them relaxed and opened up.

Maybe I could better use the time doing more study, research or knitting sweaters. Or maybe I just need some downtime when forced indoors by the night or the weather.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

DeDukshyn (24th November 2015), Heartsong (25th November 2015), raregem (24th November 2015), RunningDeer (24th November 2015), sunpaw (25th November 2015)

+ Reply to Thread