1. Link to Post #81
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,438 times in 3,321 posts

Default Re: Banning a thread

Quote Posted by Skyhaven (here)
    People come and go, that's life, but it is important to me that universal 'laws' are reflected back in every control structure. That's what makes great nations, and communities. Unconditional love is one of them. If one gets to be born into/accepted into a community as a full member it is very important that one is supported through good and bad.

So in this analogy if we can make Bill God for a second, it would be an improvement when people didn't just drop dead if they said something out of line, but let internal resistance make everything balance out again, in the meantime God can then focus on the hackers from within and without that really want to disrupt the system/world, and who gets to be allowed into the system/world.

As above so below
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

So, until I feel more comfortable perceiving Avalon as a full community, I am not going to be a full community member in the sense you are describing it. I am sticking with the perception of Avalon being a source of great content and nice people.
    Yes, I understand! But you may be missing out on a LOT that it seems you may not know is here, available to everyone.

Many threads are nothing at all about information. The examples below make up the HEART of a true community.

In fact, the quality is far higher than many actual real-world communities out there. In many real-world 'communities', people still feel lonely, misunderstood and isolated. True community is far better understood by traditional societies, and villages that existed hundreds of years ago (and, in some places, still do).

• AngelEyes' desperate plea for help and support, here (which was answered by MANY members sharing experiences and advice of their own):
      Cutting/ Self-harm
    And MANY, MANY, MANY others. Here are just a few from the last 24 hours alone:

I could extend the list literally for pages! But you may understand my point. Of course, it's all a massive buffet of all kinds of wonderful things (shared and contributed by wonderful people).... and one can pick and choose each day. or each visit, according to one's mood, personality or needs. The only point I'm making here is that to regard Avalon as a source of hard information only may be really quite limiting.

Quote Posted by ulli (here)
    People come and go, that's life, but it is important to me that universal 'laws' are reflected back in every control structure. That's what makes great nations, and communities. Unconditional love is one of them. If one gets to be born into/accepted into a community as a full member it is very important that one is supported through good and bad.

So in this analogy if we can make Bill God for a second, it would be an improvement when people didn't just drop dead if they said something out of line, but let internal resistance make everything balance out again, in the meantime God can then focus on the hackers from within and without that really want to disrupt the system/world, and who gets to be allowed into the world.
    I don't see unconditional love as being "universal law", but rather as an ideal beyond all laws.
    To get there takes a bit of work. For both the receiver, as well as the one who dishes it out.

Universal laws operate more in a duality system which keeps all of life in motion, going through motions.
    Like centrifugal force versus gravity.

Unconditional love...ahhh!!!!
    Now I can relax, and anything goes, put my feet up.

But when I do mess up, you can bet that my otherwise non-communicative son will suddenly pop out and slap me on the wrist, in public, on FB.

Like when I posted something on crisis actors.
    The great debunker is always lurking in the dark...lol.
    Quote Posted by Sierra (here)
    Quote Posted by breal (here)
    well...here is another idea...

Maybe we could draw up a blueprint for what a "true" community could potentially look like for us on PA, now and in the future?

If we all would really want that of course
    Hmmm... I think some of us want a true community, but imposition of "trueness" from an outside source tends to distort individual "trueness".

And the arguments about what would be defined as truth.

I tend to think our own energy, our frequency, is what attracts us to individuals to which we can form community with comfort and happiness.

Just my .02
    Yes...I hear you.

It was once asked of me what I thought a true community was and I really had to think about it for some time.

An answer was given to me by the asker...They said that it is when you know everyone's name that true community exists.

I thought that whilst it was really simple that it was also a really profound statement.

I don't know if that was the whole answer to what a true community consisted of but I was prepared to do whatever it took to be in a true community here - if that is what everyone else wanted for themselves and each other.

Oh well...never mind

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

avid (23rd November 2015), Gardener (25th November 2015), greybeard (23rd November 2015), joeecho (24th November 2015), raregem (24th November 2015), Shannon (25th November 2015), Skyhaven (23rd November 2015), ulli (23rd November 2015)

3. Link to Post #82
    Netherlands Avalon Member Skyhaven's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,373 times in 1,056 posts

Also: has anyone considered that banning a topic has the opposite consequence?, this is called the Streisand effect:

The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet.

It is named after American entertainer Barbra Streisand, whose 2003 attempt to suppress photographs of her residence in Malibu, California, inadvertently drew further public attention to it. Similar attempts have been made, for example, in cease-and-desist letters to suppress numbers, files, and websites. Instead of being suppressed, the information receives extensive publicity and media extensions such as videos and spoof songs, often being widely mirrored across the Internet or distributed on file-sharing networks.[1][2]
    Last edited by Skyhaven; 23rd November 2015 at 23:08.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

Atlas (24th November 2015), Gardener (25th November 2015), Jake (24th November 2015), joeecho (24th November 2015), raregem (24th November 2015), Shannon (25th November 2015)

5. Link to Post #83
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Sierra passed in April 2021.
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,462 times in 5,424 posts

I agree with you Breal, communities should be small enough that everyone knows everyone's name.

Statistics show the optimum number for a community is 10,000. Any larger then, a) accountability or peer pressure goes down, and b) the crime rate goes up.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sierra For This Post:

Constance (26th November 2015), Gardener (25th November 2015), Jake (24th November 2015), Muzz (24th November 2015), raregem (24th November 2015), RunningDeer (24th November 2015), Shannon (25th November 2015)

7. Link to Post #84
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,317 times in 2,633 posts

Also: has anyone considered that banning a topic has the opposite consequence?, this is called the Streisand effect:

The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet.

It is named after American entertainer Barbra Streisand, whose 2003 attempt to suppress photographs of her residence in Malibu, California, inadvertently drew further public attention to it. Similar attempts have been made, for example, in cease-and-desist letters to suppress numbers, files, and websites. Instead of being suppressed, the information receives extensive publicity and media extensions such as videos and spoof songs, often being widely mirrored across the Internet or distributed on file-sharing networks.[1][2]
    The Streisand effect? Yikes,, we're doomed!

I think if we throw out the effect of basic physics, the effect of light, the effect of gravity, etc,,, and all we're left with is something called the Streisan Effect, then it is safe to assume that we veered WAAAAYYY off course.

Jake
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

Gardener (25th November 2015), greybeard (24th November 2015), Shannon (25th November 2015), Skyhaven (24th November 2015)

9. Link to Post #85
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Jake (here)

I think if we throw out the effect of basic physics, the effect of light, the effect of gravity, etc,,, and all we're left with is something called the Streisan Effect, then it is safe to assume that we veered WAAAAYYY off course.

Jake
    Haha, funny Jake. YES DOOMED I TELL YOU! it's already incubating right now, and tomorrow is going to be all over the news! THE EARTH IS FLAT AFTER ALL, and everyone is going to believe it,
    Last edited by Skyhaven; 24th November 2015 at 20:23.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

Gardener (25th November 2015), Jake (24th November 2015), Shannon (25th November 2015)

11. Link to Post #86
    Thanks

Jake
    Edit: double post

12. Link to Post #87
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Its a bit like reverse psychology.
    Just tell people not to do some thing and watch what happens.
    "The paint is wet, don't touch"

Ch
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

avid (24th November 2015), Gardener (25th November 2015), joeecho (24th November 2015), Shannon (25th November 2015), Skyhaven (24th November 2015)

14. Link to Post #88
    Thanks

Yes Chris, another law of the universe, opposites attract, and thank god they do, otherwise this thing we call existence would be very static.
    Last edited by Skyhaven; 24th November 2015 at 20:30.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

greybeard (24th November 2015), joeecho (24th November 2015)

16. Link to Post #89
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,801 times in 2,667 posts

Why is this thread still going? Surely all are exhausted by now, thanks for everyone's opinions - please let us focus on more important issues, people are being wronged everywhere, and we are being drawn into a potential WWIII. Thank you.
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (24th November 2015), greybeard (24th November 2015), joeecho (24th November 2015), Limor Wolf (25th November 2015), RunningDeer (24th November 2015), Shannon (25th November 2015), Skyhaven (24th November 2015)

18. Link to Post #90
    Thanks

Quote Posted by avid (here)
    Why is this thread still going? Surely all are exhausted by now, thanks for everyone's opinions - please let us focus on more important issues, people are being wronged everywhere, and we are being drawn into a potential WWIII. Thank you.
    Our minds are being drawn into wars, the real us can't be touched, literally and figuratively.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

avid (24th November 2015), greybeard (24th November 2015), joeecho (24th November 2015), Wind (25th November 2015)

20. Link to Post #91
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,801 times in 2,667 posts

We can make a positive difference Skyhaven, by deflection.
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

greybeard (24th November 2015), joeecho (24th November 2015), Limor Wolf (25th November 2015), Skyhaven (24th November 2015)

22. Link to Post #92
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

One should do with their time as they will.

Isn't focusing ones attention on what others attention is doing taking away from the attention they could give to the thing they feel should be attended to?

23. Link to Post #93
    Thanks

Smile Re: Banning a thread

No, by not letting all this crap the MSM portrays interfere with our natural frequency, the news itself is mind control, forget about the contents of the news., that's not what it's really about, it's about tampering with everybody's natural frequency.
    Last edited by Skyhaven; 24th November 2015 at 21:44.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

Gardener (25th November 2015), greybeard (24th November 2015), joeecho (24th November 2015), Wind (25th November 2015)

25. Link to Post #94
    Thanks

Jake
    Haha, funny Jake. YES DOOMED I TELL YOU! it's already incubating right now, and tomorrow is going to be all over the news! THE EARTH IS FLAT AFTER ALL, and everyone is going to believe it,
    From the perspective of infinity everything is flat but from the perspective of finite things the earth is spherical.

Perspective, perspective, and no one rules them all.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 25th November 2015 at 02:46. Reason: reduce nested quoting level

26. Link to Post #95
    Thanks

Quote Posted by joeecho (here)

From the perspective of infinity everything is flat but from the perspective of finite things the earth is spherical.

Perspective, perspective, and no one rules them all.
    Be very careful now, Joe, or the banning a thread thread is going to be banned, and then someone will feel attracted to start a banning the banning a thread thread, and then we need to start all over again.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 25th November 2015 at 02:47. Reason: reduce nested quoting level

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

Gardener (25th November 2015), joeecho (25th November 2015), PurpleLama (25th November 2015), Shannon (25th November 2015), thunder24 (25th November 2015), Wind (25th November 2015)

28. Link to Post #96
    Thanks

No, by not letting all this crap the MSM portrays interfere with our natural frequency, the news itself is mind control, forget about the contents of the news., that's not what it's really about, it's about tampering with everybody's natural frequency.
    Woah, wait a tick! What happened to being all inclusive and open minded and supportive? Lol... Just playing a bit of devils advocate here... But the FE stuff just might be crap being portrayed to interfere with our natural frequency and furthermore is mind control, forget about the contents, thats not what it's really about. Its about tampering with everybody's natural frequency.

perspective, perspective perspective! If i log into my ESPN account and start talking about bigfoot,, then complain about freedom of speach because my comments are removed,, id EXPECT to be banned... its just common sense..

Jake
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

joeecho (25th November 2015), Skyhaven (24th November 2015)

30. Link to Post #97
    Thanks

Be very careful now, Joe, or the banning a thread thread is going to be banned, and then someone will feel attracted to start a banning the banning a thread thread, and then we need to start all over again.
    <sigh> Oh how I know, oh how I know.....

Sometimes when one says they have an open mind, what they are really saying is that it may be a little more open. They just don't know, yet, just how 'little' more it is. For the sake of Avalon, I hope sooner then later.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 25th November 2015 at 02:47. Reason: reduce nested quoting level

31. Link to Post #98
    Thanks

If i log into my ESPN account and start talking about bigfoot,, then complain about freedom of speach because my comments are removed,, id EXPECT to be banned... its just common sense..
    Jake
    So is it like when kids say, "But Jakes parents say......"

When one starts comparing how one does something or worrying about a mythical image they have in the world they run the risk of being just like every other drone forum out there. True innovation is what sets the world ablaze/ effects positive change not something that could be headed for namby pamby land.

32. Link to Post #99
    Thanks

Sigh,,,, as well,,, when you point a finger at someone, you have 3 pointing back at yourself...

discuss what you want to!

Some things, maybe discuss elsewhere... There are no bars here, and we have zero intention to make it so! Closing a usuless discussion is part of the ebb and flow of a discussion forum! If you want to beat a dead horse, by all means,, theres other discussion forums.. We dont care one hoot about moderating them!

If we were the cencors you kind folks are accusing us of, this post would not be required because your posts would have been censored... seeing that they are not cencored, yet still insisting that we are censoring you is a bit childish, no offense...

its a bit like the kid in class who says "why", and when you answer he says "why",,, and when you answer he says "why",,, now everyone else thinks it is funny and worthwhile. The kid doesn't even care WHY!! He just wants to be a distraction...... looky there the bell rang and we never even started the lesson...

Which was this kids point!

Jake

33. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

Atlas (25th November 2015), avid (25th November 2015), Dennis Leahy (25th November 2015), Gardener (25th November 2015), RunningDeer (25th November 2015), Shannon (25th November 2015), Sierra (25th November 2015), Skyhaven (25th November 2015), ThePythonicCow (25th November 2015), ulli (25th November 2015), ZooLife (25th November 2015)

34. Link to Post #100
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,230 times in 3,216 posts

The kid doesn't even care WHY!! He just wants to be a distraction......
    Ah yes, I noticed that behavior. In fact, the kid is truly trying to understand why but knowing that he won't get any satisfactory answer, he then moves on to the 'distraction' phase.

Last edited by Atlas; 25th November 2015 at 04:42.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Skyhaven (25th November 2015), ZooLife (25th November 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 5 6 LastLast