Thread: Banning a thread

1. Link to Post #61
    Mauritius Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 times in 635 posts

Default Re: Banning a thread

Quote Posted by Andynko (here)
    Quote Posted by M0JFK (here)
    I have seen it happen on many a forum where the moderators just kill it with censorship or deleting peoples post on the flimsy of grounds should somone's views oppose their own or start posting on topics they just cant handle.
    This is what makes me worried about contributing here sometimes, the possibility of being shot down or warned off.
    That I am going to make a statement or ask a question that might be interpreted as not being worthy of discussion of debate, when really I want to encourage conversation on a topic hoping to gain further insight and encourage others to bring their thoughts and perhaps even experiences to the table.
    No chance of that here mate.. we are been controlled just like the so called Elites control this spinning sphere planet.. We all have different interest,Views. Who decides what I should read on here?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kersley For This Post:

Atlas (23rd November 2015), Skyhaven (23rd November 2015)

3. Link to Post #62
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,386 times in 32,916 posts

Quote Posted by kersley (here)
    we are been controlled just like the so called Elites control this spinning sphere planet.. We all have different interest,Views. Who decides what I should read on here?
    Here's what you wrote a few weeks ago, on 16 September. A wonderful post. As you very rightly said, "fools or gullible we are not."

Every time I hear of any news good or bad, the first thing I do is check here because I'm truly bless to be a part of this Awesome forum where nothing escape us..
    We have many amazing talents here on Avalon.. Fools or gullible we are not.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Atlas (23rd November 2015), Billy (23rd November 2015), Brizil (27th November 2015), Dennis Leahy (23rd November 2015), Gardener (25th November 2015), Lionhawk (23rd November 2015), Mutchie (23rd November 2015), Shannon (23rd November 2015), Sierra (23rd November 2015), Skyhaven (23rd November 2015)

5. Link to Post #63
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    we are been controlled just like the so called Elites control this spinning sphere planet.. We all have different interest,Views. Who decides what I should read on here?
    Here's what you wrote a few weeks ago, on 16 September. A wonderful post. As you very rightly said, "fools or gullible we are not."

Every time I hear of any news good or bad, the first thing I do is check here because I'm truly bless to be a part of this Awesome forum where nothing escape us..
    My point exactly. we can sort it out amongst ourselves. Why can't we discuss all topics let the thread run it's course? why all the banning and closing ?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kersley For This Post:

Skyhaven (23rd November 2015)

7. Link to Post #64
    Thanks

Its the members that ask for thread to be closed and Mods following suit I'm worried about.. FREE thinking.. Discernment is what we should be about.
    I heard about the flat earth and came here to learn more but all the flat earth threads has been closed?
    Last edited by kersley; 23rd November 2015 at 01:06. Reason: more added

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kersley For This Post:

Skyhaven (23rd November 2015)

9. Link to Post #65
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,644 times in 21,530 posts

My point exactly. we can sort it out amongst ourselves. Why can't we discuss all topics let the thread run it's course? why all the banning and closing ?
    Not all that is posted here, and not all who post here, have our best interests at heart and in mind.

A policy of "anything goes" can be abused, perhaps innocently, perhaps intentionally, to destroy healthy discussion.

Simply leaving it to each person to read what they will, and post what they will, is not sufficient. Organized enforcement is necessary to avoid what is often observed -- forums becoming full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

The fundamental difference between healthy organizations and tyranny (both of which might use the same justifications for centrally imposed control) is the ease with which participants can leave, and the breath of their imposed control. Any control that the Avalon forum moderators exercise does not extend one inch past what's posted here, on this one modest forum, and you can take your leave of this forum with a simple click of your mouse.

Discipline and freedom, like yin and yang, are equally essential opposites, out of whose energetic dance is formed beings and orderings of higher levels.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

10. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Atlas (23rd November 2015), Bill Ryan (23rd November 2015), Billy (23rd November 2015), Callista (23rd November 2015), Flash (23rd November 2015), Gardener (25th November 2015), Hervé (23rd November 2015), Hym (23rd November 2015), iamthat (24th November 2015), Jake (23rd November 2015), Lionhawk (23rd November 2015), Nasu (23rd November 2015), Orph (23rd November 2015), Rocky_Shorz (23rd November 2015), RunningDeer (23rd November 2015), Shannon (23rd November 2015), Sierra (23rd November 2015), Skyhaven (23rd November 2015), Spirithorse (23rd November 2015), ulli (23rd November 2015)

11. Link to Post #66
    Hong Kong Avalon Member syrwong's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,586 times in 713 posts

What makes a forum good is the choice of topics and the quality of posters. Shills degrade a forum by putting up topics of bad taste and bumping them. I think even the recurrent appearance of one bad topic can turn away many viewers. Moderators being the keepers of the forum have the responsibility to delete such posts.

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to syrwong For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd November 2015), Billy (23rd November 2015), Flash (23rd November 2015), Gardener (25th November 2015), Hym (23rd November 2015), Lionhawk (23rd November 2015), Rocky_Shorz (23rd November 2015), Shannon (23rd November 2015), Sierra (23rd November 2015), Skyhaven (23rd November 2015), ulli (23rd November 2015), Wind (23rd November 2015)

13. Link to Post #67
    Thanks

There's already a 'Flat Earth' thread with 283 posts, here. It's all right there for anyone to read, has not been deleted, is fully searchable, and contains a lot of information — much of which is good, and can be referenced any time by anyone who's still in any way confused.

It ran from 19 July till 2 September, a full six and a half weeks, and you were an active member all that time. I can see that you visited and read the thread, but you never posted on it or once asked any questions at all.

The thread was closed because it HAD very much been sorted out — to borrow your words. If anyone had read the thread but was still closed-minded about their Flat Earth view, then it seemed to most members who were actively participating that there was just no chance of any more progress being made.

You have to understand that the 'Flat Earth' meme is really very likely to be an injected psy-op against the alternative community — basically to make it look ridiculous. My own very firm commitment is NOT to support that.

A thread to discuss this psy-op may be very valuable. But not to discuss the merits of a concept the Greeks understood perfectly well over 2,200 years ago.

—> http://khanacademy.org/partner-content/big-history-project/solar-system-and-earth/knowing-solar-system-earth/a/eratosthenes-of-cyrene

14. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Atlas (23rd November 2015), avid (23rd November 2015), Awakening2014 (24th November 2015), Billy (23rd November 2015), Bob (23rd November 2015), Brizil (27th November 2015), Callista (23rd November 2015), Fairy Friend (23rd November 2015), Flash (23rd November 2015), Gardener (25th November 2015), giovonni (23rd November 2015), greybeard (23rd November 2015), Hervé (23rd November 2015), Hym (23rd November 2015), Jake (23rd November 2015), JChombre (23rd November 2015), kanishk (23rd November 2015), kersley (23rd November 2015), Lionhawk (23rd November 2015), Magnus (24th November 2015), Matthew (24th November 2015), meeradas (23rd November 2015), Nasu (23rd November 2015), Orph (23rd November 2015), Rocky_Shorz (23rd November 2015), RunningDeer (23rd November 2015), Shannon (23rd November 2015), Sierra (23rd November 2015), Skyhaven (23rd November 2015), ulli (23rd November 2015), Wind (23rd November 2015)

15. Link to Post #68
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

I was thinking the mods could all give us preform posts on approved topics that we could post under our usernames and then the forum would be 'PERFECT'!

It would be spectacular!

16. Link to Post #69
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by joeecho (here)
    I was thinking the mods could all give us preform posts on approved topics that we could post under our usernames and then the forum would be 'PERFECT'!

It would be spectacular!
    OK, Joe, you can only post about freshwater fish, in Haiku form, posted in Pig-Latin. But let's make it official:
    Heretofore, and across the boundless reach of Eternity, Avalonian "joeecho" may only post about the topic "freshwater fish", must do so in Haiku form, and the Haiku must be written in Pig-Latin.

Thus it is decreed.

Failure to comply will result in raised eyebrows and a chorus of "harumphs"

17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Atlas (23rd November 2015), Billy (23rd November 2015), Gardener (25th November 2015), greybeard (23rd November 2015), Muzz (23rd November 2015), Orph (23rd November 2015), Shannon (23rd November 2015), Sierra (23rd November 2015), Skyhaven (23rd November 2015), ulli (23rd November 2015), Wind (23rd November 2015)

18. Link to Post #70
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

19. Link to Post #71
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,438 times in 3,321 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    Quote Posted by joeecho (here)

It would be spectacular!
    OK, Joe, you can only post about freshwater fish, in Haiku form, posted in Pig-Latin. But let's make it official:
    Heretofore, and across the boundless reach of Eternity, Avalonian "joeecho" may only post about the topic "freshwater fish", must do so in Haiku form, and the Haiku must be written in Pig-Latin.

Thus it is decreed.

Failure to comply will result in raised eyebrows and a chorus of "harumphs"

all together now "Harumph, Harumph, Harumph" - just practising

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

joeecho (24th November 2015), Shannon (25th November 2015), Skyhaven (23rd November 2015)

21. Link to Post #72
    Netherlands Avalon Member Skyhaven's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,373 times in 1,056 posts

Quote Posted by Skyhaven (here)
    Many out here actually perceive Avalon as a real community, a community that adheres to important communal values like tolerance, equality, freedom of speech and what not, but in reality it is a website that offers information on a broad range of topics. Sure we can socialize and be nice to each other but that's as far as the whole community concept goes for a website. In the end its about having some worth while content to absorb, and with any website in the end the owner of the website determines what gets to be on it and what not.
    Well, maybe I can comment in a way to flesh this out a little.

Avalon is certainly not only about information. It's about friendship and more, connection for people who may have felt isolated and/or misunderstood much of their lives, support, encouragement, inspiration, healing, growth, the acquisition of new skills and abilities, understanding of bewildering experiences, and every kind of aesthetics, fun and humor. It's a real community in every sense... except for the physical co-presence.

Lives change here. That doesn't always happen when watching YouTube on one's own!

And the 'owner' (yours truly!) doesn't actually make most of the decisions. They're made to a very large degree through consensus or pure delegation among a very able and committed team. And what many reading this might have noticed many times is that I (and often the other mods) often don't have to say a word... the other members frequently take care of issues and questions themselves.

Although I felt I quite wanted to make this post myself, my guess is that there'd be many other members who might have replied in similar vein to add the above... with kindness and courtesy, as I hope I have done here myself.

Thanks for your elaborate reply, Bill.

Well, given your description of Avalon as a community I am personally still cautious committing to being a full 'community' member in the sense you are describing. Many here have seen dear friends come and go over silly disputes. So I ask myself, why get too emotionally involved perceiving Avalon as a full community when the chance is high you are going to get hurt if you do so.

So, until I feel more comfortable perceiving Avalon as a full community, I am not going to be a full community member in the sense you are describing it. I am sticking with the perception of Avalon being a source of great content and nice people.
    Last edited by Skyhaven; 23rd November 2015 at 12:05.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

Awakening2014 (24th November 2015), greybeard (23rd November 2015), joeecho (24th November 2015), sunshaker (23rd November 2015), ulli (23rd November 2015)

23. Link to Post #73
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Respect, balance and common sense in everything or most things is an asset in any interaction, be it face to face or here.
    I have personally met four Avalon members and that was a "delight" for me.
    From Finland, Denmark, Serbia, Australia.
    My life has been greatly enriched by being part of Avalon--yet I dont actually personally identify with being a member of a community but then I dont feel a member of anything, except the human race.
    As far as banning a thread or member, its good to have known boundaries, yes they limit but also protect.
    I have had friends who were "encouraged" to leave but that's life.
    Avalon is not for everyone and every belief system/point of view/concept.
    I don't always agree with the actions of members or Mods but I accept that this is the way it is.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Andynko (23rd November 2015), Gardener (25th November 2015), Matthew (24th November 2015), Orph (23rd November 2015), Shannon (23rd November 2015), Sierra (23rd November 2015), Skyhaven (23rd November 2015), sunshaker (23rd November 2015), Ultima Thule (26th November 2015), Wind (24th November 2015)

25. Link to Post #74
    Thanks

People come and go, that's life, but it is important to me that universal 'laws' are reflected back in every control structure. That's what makes great nations, and communities. Unconditional love is one of them. If one gets to be born into/accepted into a community as a full member it is very important that one is supported through good and bad.

So in this analogy if we can make Bill God for a second, it would be an improvement when people didn't just drop dead if they said something out of line, but let internal resistance make everything balance out again, in the meantime God can then focus on the hackers from within and without that really want to disrupt the system/world, and who gets to be allowed into the system/world.

As above so below
    Last edited by Skyhaven; 23rd November 2015 at 14:14.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

greybeard (23rd November 2015), joeecho (24th November 2015), Shannon (23rd November 2015)

27. Link to Post #75
    Thanks

So, until I feel more comfortable perceiving Avalon as a full community, I am not going to be a full community member in the sense you are describing it. I am sticking with the perception of Avalon being a source of great content and nice people.
    Yes, I understand! But you may be missing out on a LOT that it seems you may not know is here, available to everyone.

Many threads are nothing at all about information. The examples below make up the HEART of a true community.

In fact, the quality is far higher than many actual real-world communities out there. In many real-world 'communities', people still feel lonely, misunderstood and isolated. True community is far better understood by traditional societies, and villages that existed hundreds of years ago (and, in some places, still do).

• AngelEyes' desperate plea for help and support, here (which was answered by MANY members sharing experiences and advice of their own):
      Cutting/ Self-harm
    And MANY, MANY, MANY others. Here are just a few from the last 24 hours alone:

I could extend the list literally for pages! But you may understand my point. Of course, it's all a massive buffet of all kinds of wonderful things (shared and contributed by wonderful people).... and one can pick and choose each day. or each visit, according to one's mood, personality or needs. The only point I'm making here is that to regard Avalon as a source of hard information only may be really quite limiting.

28. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Atlas (24th November 2015), Bob (23rd November 2015), Brizil (27th November 2015), Dennis Leahy (23rd November 2015), Gardener (25th November 2015), greybeard (23rd November 2015), Jake (23rd November 2015), Matthew (24th November 2015), RunningDeer (23rd November 2015), Shannon (23rd November 2015), Sierra (23rd November 2015), Skyhaven (23rd November 2015), sunshaker (23rd November 2015), ulli (23rd November 2015), Violet (25th November 2015), Wind (24th November 2015)

29. Link to Post #76
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,171 times in 13,485 posts

People come and go, that's life, but it is important to me that universal 'laws' are reflected back in every control structure. That's what makes great nations, and communities. Unconditional love is one of them. If one gets to be born into/accepted into a community as a full member it is very important that one is supported through good and bad.

So in this analogy if we can make Bill God for a second, it would be an improvement when people didn't just drop dead if they said something out of line, but let internal resistance make everything balance out again, in the meantime God can then focus on the hackers from within and without that really want to disrupt the system/world, and who gets to be allowed into the world.
    I don't see unconditional love as being "universal law", but rather as an ideal beyond all laws.
    To get there takes a bit of work. For both the receiver, as well as the one who dishes it out.

Universal laws operate more in a duality system which keeps all of life in motion, going through motions.
    Like centrifugal force versus gravity.

Unconditional love...ahhh!!!!
    Now I can relax, and anything goes, put my feet up.

But when I do mess up, you can bet that my otherwise non-communicative son will suddenly pop out and slap me on the wrist, in public, on FB.

Like when I posted something on crisis actors.
    The great debunker is always lurking in the dark...lol.

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Clear Light (23rd November 2015), Dennis Leahy (23rd November 2015), Gardener (25th November 2015), greybeard (23rd November 2015), Shannon (25th November 2015), Sierra (23rd November 2015), Skyhaven (23rd November 2015), sunshaker (23rd November 2015)

31. Link to Post #77
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ulli (here)

So in this analogy if we can make Bill God for a second, it would be an improvement when people didn't just drop dead if they said something out of line, but let internal resistance make everything balance out again, in the meantime God can then focus on the hackers from within and without that really want to disrupt the system/world, and who gets to be allowed into the world.
    I don't see unconditional love as being "universal law", but rather as an ideal beyond all laws.
    To get there takes a bit of work. For both the receiver, as well as the one who dishes it out.

Universal laws operate more in a duality system which keeps all of life in motion, going through motions.
    Like centrifugal force versus gravity.

Unconditional love...ahhh!!!!
    Now I can relax, and anything goes, put my feet up.

But when I do mess up, you can bet that my otherwise non-communicative son will suddenly pop out and slap me on the wrist, in public, on FB.

Like when I posted something on crisis actors.
    The great debunker is always lurking in the dark...lol.
    To me it is a spiritual law as opposed to laws of matter, and to me unconditional love is the highest spiritual law within duality, it means one has come into terms with the good and the bad, one comes from the other, they are both needed and necessary[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE], to become more whole.
    Last edited by Skyhaven; 23rd November 2015 at 14:42.

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

Clear Light (23rd November 2015), Dennis Leahy (23rd November 2015), greybeard (23rd November 2015), joeecho (24th November 2015), Sierra (23rd November 2015), ulli (23rd November 2015), Wind (24th November 2015)

33. Link to Post #78
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,171 times in 13,485 posts

To me it is a spiritual law as opposed to laws of matter, and to me unconditional love is the highest spiritual law within duality, it means one has come into terms with the good and the bad, one comes from the other, they are both needed and necessary[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE], to become more whole.
    True, and I agree.

Problems arise when demands are made on guarantees.
    Spirit and matter interchange constantly, although are not mutually exclusive.

Spirit is matter at its highest and matter is spirit at its lowest.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (23rd November 2015), Shannon (25th November 2015), Sierra (23rd November 2015), Skyhaven (23rd November 2015), Wind (24th November 2015)

35. Link to Post #79
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,438 times in 3,321 posts

well...here is another idea...

Maybe we could draw up a blueprint for what a "true" community could potentially look like for us on PA, now and in the future?

If we all would really want that of course

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

joeecho (24th November 2015), Shannon (25th November 2015), Skyhaven (23rd November 2015)

37. Link to Post #80
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Sierra passed in April 2021.
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,462 times in 5,424 posts

Quote Posted by breal (here)
    well...here is another idea...

Maybe we could draw up a blueprint for what a "true" community could potentially look like for us on PA, now and in the future?

If we all would really want that of course
    Hmmm... I think some of us want a true community, but imposition of "trueness" from an outside source tends to distort individual "trueness".

And the arguments about what would be defined as truth.

I tend to think our own energy, our frequency, is what attracts us to individuals to which we can form community with comfort and happiness.

Just my .02

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sierra For This Post:

Constance (23rd November 2015), Gardener (25th November 2015), greybeard (23rd November 2015), Shannon (25th November 2015), Skyhaven (23rd November 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 4 6 LastLast