+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 7 LastLast

Thread: The UK is in the grip of one of the coldest starts to December in more than 20 years

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Unhappy The UK is in the grip of one of the coldest starts to December in more than 20 years

i see my friends in the UK~ are also experiencing this stuff

Snow and ice causes disruption as cold spell continues

1 December 2010
    The early cold spell has taken everyone by surprise

Large parts of the UK have been brought to a standstill by the early freeze
    Continue reading the main story

The UK is in the grip of one of the coldest starts to December in more than 20 years with snow and ice causing road, rail and airport chaos.

Temperatures plummeted to -16C (3F) in the Highlands and 4,000 schools across the UK were unable to open.

Edinburgh and Gatwick airports will be shut until at least Thursday, and there were rail cancellations and delays.

The Met Office has issued heavy snow warnings for much of the eastern side of Britain and some central areas.

Rail companies said they were working "flat out" to get as many trains running as possible.

The Forth Road Bridge was closed for the first time since it opened in 1964 but has now reopened.

Avalanche warning

In England, heavy snow warnings are in place for the North East, Yorkshire and Humber, East Midlands, East, and London and the South.

In Scotland the warnings apply to Grampian, Strathclyde, Central, Tayside and Fife, and South West, Lothian and Borders.

More than 250,000 Scottish children have had a day off - about 40% of all those of school age - many for the third consecutive day, with a third of councils closing all their schools.

Some local authorities have told parents that schools will remain closed for the rest of the week. In total, more than 1,500 of 2,722 schools were shut.

An avalanche warning has been issued in the Cairngorms, near Aviemore, where hundreds of skiers took to the slopes on Tuesday.

Police are advising people not to travel unless absolutely necessary - especially in the worst-hit areas of Scotland, Yorkshire, Derbyshire and south-east England.

Supt Chris Moon, of Surrey Police, said the county's conditions were the worst he had ever seen and were likely to deteriorate further.

He added: "I have put out several severe weather warnings in my career, but this one I really must stress."

Police in Kent have advised freight traffic not to enter the county unless absolutely necessary as gale force winds are forecast. Some roads in the west and north of the county are impassable due to snow and ice.

'People moving'

Thousands of rail commuters face severe disruption to their journeys in Scotland and northern England, particularly in the Sheffield area. London and the South East also suffered.

Southeastern trains, which runs out of London Victoria and Charing Cross, is operating an emergency timetable and services will finish early.

I had a text from the photographer who couldn't get through, the wedding car couldn't get through, so I decided: I can't wear my dress without ruining it so we'll postpone”

There are delays on the East Coast Main Line, with an hourly service between London and Edinburgh, and reduced services between London and both Leeds and Newcastle.

Passengers face delays of up to an hour on Eurostar services.

About one third of all rail services were suffering delays or cancellations at Wednesday lunchtime.

Ashwin Kumar, of rail watchdog Passenger Focus, called on train companies to do all they could to make life easier for their customers.

He said: "We need better information systems so that we can cope when disruption does happen."

The Association of Train Operating Companies said rail operators and Network Rail were "doing all they can to keep trains moving and get people to where they need to be".

One of the worst affected areas of England is South Yorkshire, where snowfall of up to 30cm (12in) has brought parts of the county to a standstill.

About 300 schools are shut, bus services have been suspended in Sheffield, Rotherham, and Doncaster, and there are delays and cancellations on train services between Sheffield and Leeds, as well as flights being halted at Robin Hood Airport in Doncaster.

Hospitals in South Yorkshire are asking patients not to attend unless it is urgent, and they have asked off-duty medical staff to make their way into work if possible.

Sheffield City Council has cancelled a full council meeting for the first time and the Halifax Courier newspaper has not made it out, also for the first time, because it is stuck at the printers in Sheffield.
    Night journey

Overnight temperatures hit a low of -20C (-4F) in Altnaharra in the Highlands.
    Snowy sheep, Ashford, Kent The early cold spell has taken everyone by surprise

BBC weather forecaster Tomasz Schafernaker said there was 1m (3ft) of snow across parts of north-east England.

More heavy snow was expected on Wednesday afternoon and evening across southern England from Hampshire to southern Essex and possibly into London.

There could be up to 30cm of snow in southern England by the end of Thursday. There will also be more snow showers in north-east England.

On Thursday night, temperatures of up to -25C (-13F) to -30C (-22F) in some parts of Scotland are forecast.

The disruption on Wednesday includes:

* Severe disruption for air passengers at Gatwick Airport where its runways are closed until 1000 GMT on Thursday. Edinburgh Airport is also closed until at least Thursday morning. Guernsey Airport, Robin Hood Airport in Doncaster and Durham Tees Valley Airport are also shut, while other airports are disrupted. Passengers are advised to check with their airline
    * Hundreds of school closures in England, including nearly 1,000 full or partial closures in West, North and South Yorkshire, about 330 schools in Essex, about 550 in the South East and Surrey, more than 800 in the East Midlands and 195 across Tyneside, Wearside, County Durham and Northumberland. In Jersey, all the island's schools were closed
    * The M8 motorway between Glasgow and Edinburgh is down to one lane in each direction
    * In Kent the M20 is closed with long delays for London-bound traffic between J3, M26 and J1, M25, because of ice, snow and a jack-knifed lorry.
    * In Derbyshire, one lane is closed on the M1 southbound, with delays between J29, A617 (Chesterfield) and J28, A38 (Alfreton), because of recovery work and a jack-knifed lorry
    * In West Yorkshire, one lane is blocked on the M62 in both directions between J23, A640 (Huddersfield) and J26, M606 (Chain Bar), because of snow
    * The Lincolnshire village of Binbrook has been effectively cut off since Monday. Local shops are beginning to run out of supplies

In Sheffield, bride-to-be Tracy Gell had to call off her big day because it turned out to be too much of a white wedding.

She told the BBC: "I had a text from the photographer who couldn't get through, the wedding car couldn't get through, so I decided: I can't wear my dress without ruining it so we'll postpone."

On Tuesday evening many drivers and rail passengers were stuck for hours as the weather worsened.

Tony Scott started his journey home from London to Tunbridge in Kent at 1730 GMT on Tuesday and had still not arrived home 10 hours later.

She told the BBC: "I had a text from the photographer who couldn't get through, the wedding car couldn't get through, so I decided: I can't wear my dress without ruining it so we'll postpone."

On Tuesday evening many drivers and rail passengers were stuck for hours as the weather worsened.

Tony Scott started his journey home from London to Tunbridge in Kent at 1730 GMT on Tuesday and had still not arrived home 10 hours later.

The AA had attended 11,300 breakdowns across the UK by 1500 GMT on Wednesday, with the busiest areas said to be London, especially the south of the capital, Yorkshire, Kent, north-east England and Aberdeen.

The motoring organisation said there had been a failure to deal with jams on motorways and major roads, and breakdown service Green Flag said local authorities had not spread enough grit on minor roads.

Halfords said an additional 16,600 sledges were being shipped in to meet increased demands.

bbc video and source page here;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11883714

a news related youtube video

Last edited by giovonni; 1st December 2010 at 19:36.

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: The UK is in the grip of one of the coldest starts to December in more than 20 ye

i have to say though gio the kids and i love it, we have been playing in the snow having lots of fun......however am very aware how cold spells such as this impact on those who are vulnerable, so have started to clear some of the snow on our quiet little road (makes it easier for a couple of folk who are relient on their cars to get out and if it is still very icy by friday will pop around to some of the elderly folk around here to make sure that they are warm (can always lend out blankets etc) and have food, generally i pop to shops (or chemist for their meds) for them in times like this. so my fellow uk avalonians please please think about those living near that may need help and give it. if we cant look after those within our communities then what is the point?
    go on show some love
    m

3. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: The UK is in the grip of one of the coldest starts to December in more than 20 ye

Quote Posted by morguana (here)
    i have to say though gio the kids and i love it, we have been playing in the snow having lots of fun......however am very aware how cold spells such as this impact on those who are vulnerable, so have started to clear some of the snow on our quiet little road (makes it easier for a couple of folk who are relient on their cars to get out and if it is still very icy by friday will pop around to some of the elderly folk around here to make sure that they are warm (can always lend out blankets etc) and have food, generally i pop to shops (or chemist for their meds) for them in times like this. so my fellow uk avalonians please please think about those living near that may need help and give it. if we cant look after those within our communities then what is the point?
    go on show some love
    m
    you have a pure and caring Heart and a wonderfully positive attitude ~ dear morguana

4. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Default Re: The UK is in the grip of one of the coldest starts to December in more than 20 ye

This is also the coldest start to an Australian summer in my life. We are 8-10 degrees (C) below what an average day should be. Was also the coldest November / October (and with record rainfalls.)

5. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 times in 414 posts

Quote Posted by AtlasFactor (here)
    This is also the coldest start to an Australian summer in my life. We are 8-10 degrees (C) below what an average day should be. Was also the coldest November / October (and with record rainfalls.)
    Have to agree...Up here in Queensland we have had a few warm days, up to 30c, however we usually get some real stinkers through November.

Ross

6. Link to Post #6
    England Avalon Member SPIRIT WOLF's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,763 times in 930 posts

It took me 45 minutes to clear the ice and 5 inches of snow that covered the car in the drive this afternoon. I've not used the car since Monday so it sat outside under a blanket of snow LOL. Driving on icy roads can be tricky, its always prudent to watch for others as I did today. Travelling carefully at 20mph along to nearest store for needed supplies I was amazed at a white van hurtling along at over 40mph. If he needed to brake he would have simply slid along with no control. Some people! The mere actions of removing snow and ice for that amount of time left me exhausted, my arms were aching like hell and shaky for hours afterwards. LOL Getting old and cranky.
    TRUTH,JUSTICE,FREEDOM
    PROUD TO BE OLD FASHIONED,OLD SCHOOL, OLD GUARD
    Sauviter in Modo Fortiter in Re

7. Link to Post #7
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,308 times in 7,756 posts

check out the US Jet Stream, I don't remember it ever covering the whole country...

jet stream

8. Link to Post #8
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

...So Much For The "GLOBAL WARMING SCAM"..!
    Last edited by jackovesk; 2nd December 2010 at 01:37.

9. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,933 times in 8,414 posts

Quote Posted by SPIRIT WOLF (here)

It took me 45 minutes to clear the ice and 5 inches of snow that covered the car in the drive this afternoon.
    My car is half buried under snow and it's climbing up my front door. At the back it's no better. The iron gate is less than half visible. The last time I saw snow like this was when I was a lad in 1963, and it's only November!

If we don't have a rapid thaw after this lot I'll be stranded for a very long time.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

10. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,799 times in 666 posts

I'm not doing any more shovelling - that's it i'm going to play with my orbs.
    Sapere aude

11. Link to Post #11
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: The UK is in the grip of one of the coldest starts to December in more than 20 ye

Here's an update on this story:

Gatwick Airport stays closed as fresh snow predicted;
    More heavy snow warnings have been issued by the Met Office as the wintry weather continues to cause disruption to air, road and rail travel.

update with related stories and video here;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11883982

12. Link to Post #12
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: The UK is in the grip of one of the coldest starts to December in more than 20 ye

Another update from the bbc~ Snowfall disrupts northern Europe's airports and roads

Story and videos;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11885495

In pictures: Snow blankets Europe;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11887140
    Last edited by giovonni; 2nd December 2010 at 05:21.

13. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,500 times in 430 posts

Aha, now I see where the Vermont weather has gone!

We're getting nothing but rain, rain, rain at mild temperatures and plenty of wind.

I would love to trade that for snow. It's unusual that there's no snow on the ground where I live.

14. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Sure is cold these days, but it's kinda wierd for me to see all the problems the snow and cold gives people in countries that aren't really that far away from Norway.
    We are at a steady -13C to -15C around my neck of the woods these days with clear weather. We have some snow, but not alot of it.
    However, this has not been an ordinary november for us either. In fact, the ones used to cold november weather up north are experiencing temps on the plus side with wind and rain.

Oh by the way...scrap what I said in the first sentence. It's too early in the morning and I forgot that Norwegians have a habit of forgetting where we live. Trains and trams are at a standstill here as well and people go off the road like dominoes. It's the same every year, only now maybe a little bit earlier. LOL
    People always tell me I remind them so much of Sid (the wierd furry guy from Ice Age, you know), is that a good thing?

15. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,331 times in 1,296 posts

Norwegians have a habit of forgetting where they live? Are you saying that Norway is the Global Old-People's Home?

Where I live, we have 2 feet of snow. It's nice to look at but that's where it ends lol

16. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Interesting how severe winterness is experienced by diverse folk in diverse places. Up here in central Alberta Canada we've recently come out a somewhat sudden cold snap. Last week began with -28ish degrees celcius (-40ish with windchill factor) and ended with -2 celcius on the Friday. During the deep cold, everyone begrudged outdoors moments, but adjusted. Though we expect that here and are probably more prepared to handle it infrastructure-wise, what with lots of snowplows and an engine block heater in every auto. Still, -30 is still way colder than anyone is glad to endure, as well as being at the extreme lower range of temps we here commonly experience.

Reading how -16 shut England down struck me as very interesting. It sort of demonstrates how our lives are intricately tied to the climate of our location on the planet. When conditions exceed what we are accustomed to, it tends to force us to quickly adapt our patterns. I do like how cold and snow makes us all slow down a little more and keep to the quiet of our warm homes. Even though I am often sad to say goodbye to the vitality of the green seasons, I do appreciate the stillness of a winters midnight. It is so quiet, with no leaves to rustle in the breeze.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kcw_one For This Post:

Ross (2nd December 2010)

18. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Here in the uk we are sadly very I'll prepared for anything surprising such as lots of snow, the whole country grinds to a halt as they don't do sensible things like keeping roads clear and gritted. We spent a year in scotland and they seem to be much more organized, services were kept ticking along nicely and the snow plough was at work.
    We have had a foot of snow fall over the night here in the south, ho hum more shoveling to do!
    m

19. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

UK prepares for freezing weekend

Quote Heavy snow has fallen across large parts of the UK, disrupting travel and closing thousands of schools.

South-east England has the worst snow it has seen for 18 years, causing all London buses to be pulled from service and the closure of Heathrow's runways.

The Met Office has issued an extreme weather warning for England, Wales and parts of eastern Scotland.

By late Monday, the South East could be under a foot (30cm) of snow and the North East under 20 inches (50cm).

Speaking at a press conference in Downing Street, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said: "We are doing everything in our power to ensure services, road, rail and airports are open as quickly as possible, and we are continuing to monitor this throughout the day."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7864395.stm

m

20. Link to Post #19
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Winter wonderland grounds Europe's traffic

Cars are stuck as a wheel loader tries to get the snow off the road during a heavy snow storm near Neu Mukran on the island of Ruegen at the Baltic Sea, northern Germany, Thursday, Dec. 2, 2010. Large parts of Germany were hit by heavy snowfalls and icy winds.

BERLIN (AP) - Freezing temperatures and often blinding snowfall shuttered airports across Britain on Thursday, delayed flights across Europe and forced thousands of passengers in Germany to spend the night in trains.

In neighboring Poland, the cold claimed 10 more lives, bringing the overall number of deaths to 18, Polish police spokesman Mariusz Sokolowski said. He urged Poles to report any homeless or drunk people on the streets to officers in hopes of saving their lives.

Authorities in Berlin also kept subway stations, soup kitchens and heated buses open all night to provide shelter for the city's homeless.

Gatwick Airport, one of Britain's busiest, was closed for a second straight day, canceling another 600 flights as conditions continued to deteriorate. Edinburgh Airport and London's City Airport were also closed until late evening, according to the Eurocontrol central control agency's website.

The agency also reported significant delays at London Heathrow, Paris' Charles de Gaulle, Amsterdam's Schiphol, Berlin's Tegel and Duesseldorf airports.

In Geneva, the airport was able to reopen after removing 2,000 tractor-trailers full of snow from the airfield.

Travelers hoping to fare better by road or rail were equally stymied as snow continued to fall across the U.K. and most of Germany, leaving thousands of motorists stranded overnight in freezing temperatures.

Some 3,000 rail passengers were also stranded overnight and struggled to catch a few minutes' sleep in their trains, German railway operator Deutsche Bahn said.

Some 200 stranded passengers in Germany's Frankfurt hub spent the night in parked night trains after hotels filled up. Nothing was moving along many of the nation's high-speed train links, such as between Nuremberg and Leipzig in the south and east, or between Hamburg and the Danish capital Copenhagen in the north.

Southeastern Denmark was also badly hit, and heavy snow falls and icy winds severely hampered road and rail traffic across much of the country. The Danish army has been mobilized to help emergency vehicles, using tracked armored personnel carriers to help ambulances and other emergency vehicles cut their way through mounds of snow.

Heavy snowfall in Poland also disrupted the normal flow of planes and trains and created a treacherous situation on many of the country's already abysmal roads.

Thousands of Polish homes were left without electricity or heat as temperatures hovered around minus 10 Celsius (14 Fahrenheit). Several Romanian villages suffered a similar fate, while severe ice caused delays to traffic across the nation.

On many German roads, meanwhile, traffic was chaotic with hundreds of minor accidents due to heavy snowfall. Police in Berlin alone counted 121 accidents Thursday morning, spokesman Burkhardt Opitz said.

The heavy winter weather has claimed at least two lives in Germany, a 73-year-old in Lower Saxony who was struck by a train why trying to clear snow and an 18-year-old driver in Baden-Wuerttemberg, who lost control of his vehicle on an icy road and crashing head-on into a truck.

The cold has also taken a solid grip over Sweden, with the lowest temperatures overnight Thursday measuring minus 29.6 Celsius (85.28 Fahrenheit) in Lillhardal in the center of the country. In the Netherlands, a light dusting of snow also led to chaos and long traffic jams on the roads.

In southeastern Europe, meanwhile, Bosnian authorities declared a state of emergency and ordered evacuations after heavy rainfall caused severe flooding on the Drina river.

Schools closed, and half of the town has no electricity, city water is no longer drinkable. In nearby Gorazde, the federal army had to help evacuating people.

Source;
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20101202/D9JRQGJO2.html

---

21. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,457 times in 2,874 posts

http://geraldcelentechannel.blogspot...n-heading.html

Oh dear..... Britain heading for mother of arctic winters......
    Oh my ears and whiskers, how late it's getting!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 7 LastLast