+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 5

Thread: Buy or build your next desktop computer?

1. Link to Post #81
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,504 times in 5,654 posts

Default Re: Buy or build your next desktop computer?

I wonder if anyone can figure this out? In the user guide for the ASUS x99 Deluxe motherboard on page 2-11 it discusses installing an HYPER M.2 x 4 card. I'm not sure if all M.2's are HYPER cards or if there are different M.2s that are not HYPER? It goes on to say this:
    "For a higher performance, do not install the HYPER M.2 x 4 is when using a 28-LANE CPU."

Im not sure what that means. The CPU chip is the Intel 5820 which I believe is 28 LANE. The sentence above did not make sense to me.

2. Link to Post #82
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,612 times in 21,525 posts

Quote Posted by mojo (here)
    I wonder if anyone can figure this out? In the user guide for the ASUS x99 Deluxe motherboard on page 2-11 it discusses installing an HYPER M.2 x 4 card. I'm not sure if all M.2's are HYPER cards or if there are different M.2s that are not HYPER? It goes on to say this:
    "For a higher performance, do not install the HYPER M.2 x 4 is when using a 28-LANE CPU."

Im not sure what that means. The CPU chip is the Intel 5820 which I believe is 28 LANE. The sentence above did not make sense to me.
    The ASUS HYPER M.2 X4 adaptor card is this guy:
    It lets you plug another M.2 memory card into your system, in addition to the M.2 slot that's right on the motherboard.

If you are only using 2 PCIe slots, one for a graphics card and one for this adaptor, then you should have plenty of PCIe lanes - 16 for graphics and 4 for this adaptor. However it might matter which slots you plug things into whether you get all the lanes used. Sometimes plugging something into one slot will reduce another slot from 16 lanes to 8 lanes ... not that you'd likely notice ... it's difficult to distinguish between running your graphics card at 8 lanes or at its 16 maximum lanes.

A close reading of the manual will be needed, and if that broken English translation you quote is typical, a bit of Chinese mind reading might help too.

However if you plug both in, and both graphics and the adaptor seem to work, then even if you're not at perfect performance max, you're likely close enough that you'll never notice the difference.

If you only have one M.2 memory card, then you don't even need the adaptor card, unless you like the looks of using it, instead of the onboard M.2 slot.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

mojo (29th December 2015)

4. Link to Post #83
    Thanks

Thanks Paul,
    Even after contacting Asus support they didn't answer what I was asking and also seemed confused telling me to contact the CPU support team...very strange...

I decided to sell the 5820 after contacting their support and confused by their statements. I sold the 5820 right away on ebay. Now will save and get a 40 lane 5930 chip.

5. Link to Post #84
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mojo (here)
    Thanks Paul,
    Even after contacting Asus support they didn't answer what I was asking and also seemed confused telling me to contact the CPU support team...very strange...

I decided to sell the 5820 after contacting their support and confused by their statements. I sold the 5820 right away on ebay. Now will save and get a 40 lane 5930 chip.
    With only one 16 lane graphics, and with at most only one other 4 lane PCIe card, you only need 20 lanes, so the 5820's 28 lanes is (was) more than enough.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

7. Link to Post #85
    Thanks

I think so too... But because of Asus they did not differentiate the hyper M.2 even after I asked for clarification so I panicked. Had the add up for 20 minutes on ebay and it was sold.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mojo For This Post:

ThePythonicCow (29th December 2015)

9. Link to Post #86
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Another option - wait 2 or 3 weeks and see if the post Christmas price of a 5820 comes down a bit more

Do check out your Asus X99-Deluxe manual (perhaps section "1.2.5 Expansion slots"), for better information on how PCIe lanes are allocated.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

11. Link to Post #87
    Thanks

Finally after months of saving the parts to do the project are on the way. I won't mention how much over budget it came, but now comes the putting it all together. The neat thing was learning about components and it will be fun to see the first boot up. Thanks for the input from other members and maybe someone else on Avalon will try a build. Cheers...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mojo For This Post:

ThePythonicCow (13th February 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 5