+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WikiLeaks Backup Plan Could Drop Diplomatic Bomb

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,422 times in 3,394 posts

Default WikiLeaks Backup Plan Could Drop Diplomatic Bomb

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...html?tag=stack

Supporters Downloading Heavily Encrypted File Told They Will Receive Key if Trouble Befalls Website, Founder

Quote The legal net is tightening around Assange. On Thursday, Sweden's highest court turned down an appeal from his legal team, which means an international warrant for his arrest in a sexual assault case is valid, CBS News Correspondent Elizabeth Palmer reports. Supporters of WikiLeaks around the world are downloading a file the site calls an insurance policy. The files are encrypted with a code so strong it's unbreakable, even by governments.

If anything happens to Assange or the website, a key will go out to unlock the files. There would then be no way to stop the information from spreading like wildfire because so many people already have copies.

"What most folks are speculating is that the insurance file contains unreleased information that would be especially embarrassing to the U.S. government if it were released," said Declan McCullagh, chief political correspondent for CNET, a CBS company.

In other words, the Interpol arrest warrant may eventually stop Assange but not the spread of even more Wiki-secrets.

British police, who would carry out the arrests, said they haven't yet because the warrant wasn't correctly filed.

Assange is one of the most reviled or -- depending on a person's point of view -- revered men on Earth. He's in hiding somewhere in or around London and, CBS News has been told, working hard to keep his site up and running.

"He has obviously read, like everybody else, about the allegations that are in the media," said Assange lawyer Mark Stephens. "He's read about Interpol notices. He's read about warrants, but nobody's actually been in touch with him or any of his legal team."

WikiLeaks has come under multiple cyber-attacks from hackers in the past few days and on Wednesday was refused access to its U.S. computer servers run by Amazon.com.

"So it was left trying to deal with a really large and complex attack with not many servers," WikiLeaks employee James Ball said.

But Assange and his team stayed one step ahead, moving to European servers.

The website leaked even more sensitive documents Thursday. They include some eye-opening diplomatic cables in which U.S. officials complain of overwhelming corruption in Afghanistan. The diplomats claim nearly every Afghan government official is skimming money from American-funded projects.

very very interesting... and would make sense why hes shying away from anything 9/11 related... hmmmmm

interesting too that the site is currently down.....
    wikileaks.org

thier twitter feed says

"WikiLeaks,org domain killed by US everydns.net after claimed mass attacks KEEP US STRONG "

okies.. this was from 17 mins ago..

http://twitter.com/wikileaks
    Last edited by astrid; 3rd December 2010 at 06:10.
    The greatest privilege of a human life is to become a
    midwife to the awakening of the Soul in another person.”
    ~ Plato

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: WikiLeaks Backup Plan Could Drop Diplomatic Bomb

Okies.. found another place u can access files from

Quote The websites can still be accessed via their IP addresses, http://88.80.13.160/ and http://204.236.131.131/ respectively, according to a Wikileaks list of IP address mirrors. Alternatives are also on the mirror site.
    from here http://www.zdnet.com.au/wikileaks-si...-339307752.htm
    Last edited by astrid; 3rd December 2010 at 08:00. Reason: updated to mirror sites, for safety
    ~ Plato

3. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,500 times in 430 posts

I hope that file doesn't have some kind of virus or monitoring program in it.

I would not download such a program because it's just too much risk to take. We do not know who Assange is really working for, though I do support the idea of what he's doing. I do think that there are better ways to get this information out in a legitimate manner, perhaps through courts.

4. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Its not a program , just another domain that links to the cables, its fine , i have been looking at cables on there , and no problems.
    But then im on a mac and i dont get viruses.

You do make a good point there, will keep that in mind for others , thanks JH
    ~ Plato

5. Link to Post #5
    Canada Unsubscribed
    Chatting with Horatio, on a bridge between Hope and Hemlock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 times in 445 posts

Hi Astrid,

Quote Posted by astrid (here)
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...html?tag=stack
    Supporters Downloading Heavily Encrypted File Told They Will Receive Key if Trouble Befalls Website, Founder
    [...]
    very very interesting... and would make sense why hes shying away from anything 9/11 related... hmmmmm
    [...]
    9/11/2001 truth doesn't hinge on Julian Assange's alleged encrypted insurance policy.

It hinges on the laws of physics and massive amounts of physical and circumstantial evidence.

I know you are trying to keep an open mind on all this - and that is laudable - but if you think that JA has a trump card in the communication transcripts of 9/11/2001, then I implore you to visit the following website:

http://www.ae911truth.org/
    (Architects and Engineers for 911 Truth)

6. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Yes , Zooks , im not inferring that the 9/11 truth exposure in any way hinges on JA, (although it might if hes holding that important piece of intel), i was just offering it as a possible reason why hes shying away from all things 9/11. ie, it might be one of many things he is holding in his "secret stash" for protection.

And yes there is LOADS of 9/11 truth info already published, enough to build a very strong case, but the issue is that the masses are so programmed that won't look further than thier "trusted sources" ie mainstream.
    The whole truth movement is a dirty word to most of them.
    I have a housemate like this, hes not unintelligent, but he has one or 2 sources where he gets his "news" and that's it, hes ex-military also, and sadly lost the ability to think critically. But i have noticed that he is looking at the Wiki files, because they are from Gov sources, and they are hitting his "trusted news sites". Ok sample size is one, but because this is leaked gov info, from gov sources, (or its believed to be ), u can see how the masses are at least curious enough to read it... and hence if they dropped a 9/11 truth "data packet" it might just work better to awaken all those that refuse to look at anything other than what is in their chosen path....

hope my loops of logic make sense, lol

Just my 2 cents......

A
    Last edited by astrid; 3rd December 2010 at 09:53.
    ~ Plato

7. Link to Post #7
    Australia Avalon Member TigaHawk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,103 times in 742 posts

Quote Posted by Humble Janitor (here)
    I hope that file doesn't have some kind of virus or monitoring program in it.

I would not download such a program because it's just too much risk to take. We do not know who Assange is really working for, though I do support the idea of what he's doing. I do think that there are better ways to get this information out in a legitimate manner, perhaps through courts.
    i think the reason why wikileaks exists is because the courts are corrupt and nothing gets done about it.

same thing in the army - they know what is happenign is breaking the very reason for their existance, they talk to their superiors about it and it's ignored. where else is one to go? i believe this is why wikileaks was created - to get stuff out which is being kept from the public by deceptive means.

also with the cables of talk between embasy's and stuff - its their own frigging fault

anything official and documented - shuold allways be profesional! there's allways the risk of it being leaked. its their own fault for being idiots, **** talking about others in official documents. they deserve what they get.

and funny how they allow military stuff to be leaked, but when he's about to leak stuff on the big banks the site is shutdown, lol.

8. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,345 times in 8,331 posts

Quote Posted by zookumar (here)

.......but if you think that JA has a trump card in the communication transcripts of 9/11/2001, then I implore you to visit the following website:

http://www.ae911truth.org/
    (Architects and Engineers for 911 Truth)

As John says, it's fishy that an international arrest call is out for a suspect in a rape case in Sweden. If he's locked up and that encryption code goes out, I'll put a tenner on the 'insurance' being the big porky.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Ahkenaten (4th December 2010), Zook (3rd December 2010)

10. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Snowbird's Avatar
    The CORPORATION of the United States of America
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,082 posts

In this July, 2010 video interview, The Economist talks to Julian Assange about what Wikileaks is and does. I'd much rather hear the words straight from the accused than attempt to piece together the accusers' stabs in the dark.

Tea with Julian Assange, editor of Wikileaks economist.com/video

https://youtube.com/watch?v=E_HPLHIBTtA
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
    Plato

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

11. Link to Post #10
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 times in 408 posts

12. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 times in 246 posts

Default Assange threatens to release ‘poison pill’ if arrested or killed

I'd kinda like to see it all released! The truth shall set us free.

There is a new threat from the founder of the whistleblower website WikiLeaks.

Julian Assange will release a "poison pill" that contains a "deluge" of secret information if he is killed, arrested or his website is permanently shut down, Daily Mail reports.

"Due to recent attacks on our infrastructure, we've decided to make sure everyone can reach our content. As part of this process we're releasing archived copy of all files we ever released," WikiLeaks said in a message on its site.

WikiLeaks says it has another 250,000 cables it plans to gradually release over coming months -- if it can.

Anticipating the US attempts to block it though, WikiLeaks has taken the precaution of posting a big, 1.4-gigabyte file encrypted with a 256-digit key said to be unbreakable.
    Petitions by Change.org|Get Widget|Start a Petition »

Titled "insurance.aes256", the file was big enough to contain all the US cables said to be in WikiLeaks's possession.

The encryption makes it unreadable until the key is supplied -- at which time all its contents would be available to those who downloaded it from torrent-feeding sites such as ThePirateBay.org.

"It's a ticking time bomb with a remote fuse," one expert told NBC News. "So this bomb can go off the second that they release the key and the key will spread around the internet in a matter of seconds."

Appearing on the BBC, Assange's lawyer defended the move. "They need to protect themselves," Mark Stephens said. "This is what they believe to be a thermo-nuclear device effectively in the electronic age."

WikiLeaks has been under constant cyber attacks since it began releasing the secret US diplomatic cables.

WikiLeaks' DNS host, EveryDNS.com, killed the domain last week, according to an update posted to WikiLeaks' Twitter account.

The host cited "mass attacks," the whistleblower organization said.

It's not the first technical snag WikiLeaks has encountered in recent days. The site was down entirely most of last Wednesday after its host, Amazon.com, abandoned WikiLeaks as well, forcing them to move back to a mirror in Sweden. Service on the domain has been sporadic since then.

The site is now only accessible via an IP address: 213.251.145.96. Mirrors pointing to the address have popped up at WikiLeaks.de, WikiLeaks.fl, WikiLeaks.nl.

Even as WikiLeaks servers remain online, some organizations are blocking access to the site.

The White House told government agencies to take measures to prevent employees without proper authorization from accessing the secret cables.

It reminded them that "each federal employee and contractor is obligated to protect classified information" and said that a public release of classified documents did not mean they had been declassified.

"Unauthorized disclosures of classified documents (whether in print, on a blog or on websites) do not alter the documents' classified status or automatically result in declassification of the documents," the White House's Office of Management and Budget (OMB) said in a message to all federal agencies obtained by AFP.

The US Library of Congress was one institution that blocked staff and visitors from accessing WikiLeaks, citing 'potential malicious content'.

In a post on the Library of Congress blog, communications director Matt Raymond confirmed that access to Wikileaks was being blocked and rejected accusations of censorship.

"The Library decided to block Wikileaks because applicable law obligates federal agencies to protect classified information," Raymond said.

"In other words, the site is being blocked not out of censorship, but because providing the information that is there is illegal.

Assange has also been under threat of arrest by Swedish authorities for sex crimes.

A lawyer who recently represented Julian Assange said the sex assault investigation into the WikiLeaks founder is based on claims he didn't use condoms during sex with two Swedish women.

James D. Catlin, a lawyer in Melbourne, Australia, says in an article published Thursday that Sweden's justice system is destined to become "the laughingstock of the world" for investigating rape charges in two cases where women complained that Assange had had sex with them without using a condom.

Assange is thought to be hiding out in the UK but his lawyers said that Scotland Yard would not act on an arrest warrant because it was invalid.

Attorney Mark Stephens said that Scotland Yard has not moved to arrest Assange in the UK where he is thought to be hiding out because the original arrest warrant was invalid.

"There is no arrest warrant against him. There was an Interpol red notice, which is not a warrant, alerting authorities to monitor his movements," Stephens told Reuters.

"The arrest warrant was sent back by Scotland Yard because it did not comply with the law and was defective," he said.

Swedish police confirmed Friday that a new arrest warrant had been sent to the UK police. Several British news outlets speculated that Assange could be arrested as early as tomorrow.

A Swedish prosecutor handling allegations against the WikiLeaks founder dismissed suggestions from one of his lawyers Sunday that the case might be politically motivated.

"This investigation has proceeded perfectly normally without any political pressure of any kind," prosecutor Marianne Ny said.

"It is completely independent," she added.

Assange said in a online chat Friday that he, his lawyers and his family have "had hundreds of specific death threats from US military militants".

"Some right-wing sites also called for attacking me via my children," he noted.

"I predicted this might happen since April, so since that time I have had to stay away from my family," Assange added.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/a...rested-killed/
    "What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, The master calls a butterfly."
    Richard Bach

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WyoSeeker For This Post:

Ahkenaten (6th December 2010), astrid (7th December 2010), morguana (6th December 2010)

14. Link to Post #12
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,308 times in 7,756 posts

Default Re: Assange threatens to release ‘poison pill’ if arrested or killed

isn't it strange that Sweden wants him arrested but allows him to run a secret underground computer bunker?

15. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,486 times in 420 posts

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

Just found this link regarding the "rape"-accusations:
    Quote The charges against Julian Assange were indeed trumped up. Anna Ardin and Sofia Wilén planned it all. They went to the police station asking for advice, knowing the police would turn it into an accusation of rape. They're also the ones who leaked the story to the tabloid Expressen.
    http://rixstep.com/1/20101202,01.shtml
    Assange Case: Evidence Destroyed Over and Over Again

Quote Sensational news: extraordinary Internet detective work by Göran Rudling.
    http://rixstep.com/1/20101001,01.shtml

16. Link to Post #14
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 times in 727 posts

and Assange's alleged offense is not rape but sexual misbehavior occasioned by the pesky condom (according to one source) he used breaking............................I personally feel each and every spermatazoa needs to be apprehended and spanked roundly in court

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahkenaten For This Post:

witchy1 (6th December 2010)

18. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

well ask Tiger Woods about the wrath of a Swedish woman...

19. Link to Post #16
    Deactivated
    Thanks

HAHAHA (I know I shouldn't laugh about things like that) the arrest warrant and questioning is after all due to pressure on Sweden by outside forces................and Sweden is anxious to show that it wants to play in the sandbox with the boys. I don't know about the secret underground computer bunker --- maybe Sweden wants to become a major player in the international efforts to bring truth forward? I wish, only kidding. Maybe they want to set up underground storage of information for future generations modeled on the SEED CAPSULE project?!

20. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

21. Link to Post #18
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Yup we are going to need a pretty big bunker for storing all these hidden truths away for possible future use!!!! Rocky I really like your sense of humor - picture is sure worth 1,000 words!!
    Last edited by Ahkenaten; 6th December 2010 at 21:23.

22. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 times in 246 posts

Quote Posted by astrid (here)
    Okies.. found another place u can access files from
    FYI, anyone that uses torrents can download the file. Just search for the name insurance.aes256.
    "What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, The master calls a butterfly."
    Richard Bach

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WyoSeeker For This Post:

Ahkenaten (7th December 2010), astrid (7th December 2010)

24. Link to Post #20
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 times in 838 posts

Latest news is that apparently Assange is making arrangements to meet with british police regarding the rape allegations. IMHO, doing anything of the like would put his life in danger, unless he manages to organise such a meeting without the need for him to be physically present.

My only hope at this time is that there are multiple copies of the key to that file with multiple people, to ensure that, if he is killed the information can be released no matter what.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jcocks For This Post:

Ahkenaten (7th December 2010)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast