+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Koko the gorilla urges mankind to stop killing Earth

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,738 times in 1,354 posts

Default Koko the gorilla urges mankind to stop killing Earth

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to WhiteLove For This Post:

6pounder (7th January 2016), A Voice from the Mountains (7th January 2016), Art (7th January 2016), chanda (6th January 2016), Constance (6th January 2016), DeDukshyn (7th January 2016), Fairy Friend (6th January 2016), Flash (6th January 2016), Gardener (7th January 2016), Joao (7th January 2016), justntime2learn (7th January 2016), KiwiElf (6th January 2016), meeradas (6th January 2016), moekatz (6th January 2016), mpennery (6th January 2016), penn (8th January 2016), pyrangello (6th January 2016), Shannon (6th January 2016), sunpaw (7th January 2016), YoYoYo (6th January 2016), ZooLife (6th January 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Moderator (on Sabbatical) Shannon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,993 times in 1,211 posts

Default Re: Koko the gorilla urges mankind to stop killing Earth

<3 koko

Thank that was beautiful.

I'm with ya, koko!

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Shannon For This Post:

chanda (6th January 2016), DeDukshyn (7th January 2016), justntime2learn (7th January 2016), KiwiElf (6th January 2016), moekatz (6th January 2016), Sunny-side-up (6th January 2016), WhiteLove (6th January 2016), YoYoYo (6th January 2016), ZooLife (6th January 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member mpennery's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 times in 899 posts

It IS a good message but it was also scripted for Koko and she was trained to give it, which I think takes a little away from the power of it. I'd hate to see her next message support some globalist agenda.

Matt

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-planet.html

"A spokesman for The Gorilla Foundation: ‘Because of her unique ability to communicate with humans in sign language, Koko is a natural ambassador for endangered species. We presented her with a script drafted by NOE and allowed her to improvise during a series of brief daily video discussion sessions. The result was edited from a number of separate takes, for brevity and continuity.’ The spokesman said Koko had to learn ‘a few new signs’ for the video including ‘protect’ and ‘nature’."
    "The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."
    - Susan Sarandon in Bull Durham

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mpennery For This Post:

chanda (6th January 2016), DeDukshyn (7th January 2016), justntime2learn (7th January 2016), KiwiElf (6th January 2016), meeradas (6th January 2016), OmeyocaN777 (6th January 2016), RunningDeer (7th January 2016), Shannon (7th January 2016), Sunny-side-up (6th January 2016), TelosianEmbrace (6th January 2016), YoYoYo (6th January 2016), ZooLife (6th January 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 times in 535 posts

Thank you for that mpennery. I'm a big fan of Koko, and all other signing primates I can find but particularly Koko. It does come across as scripted so nice to learn some background. The editing is done so she seems to conversationally pause etc like humans do. I truely want to learn what Koko thinks of us though. I even read the daily mail link above to see if they reported it. They didn't the article is dismissive of her ability to converse other than to signal for food. The article says:

Quote Posted by Daily Mail pooh-pooh
    She is said to be able to understand 1,000 words of US sign language and 2,000 words of spoken English, but there has been controversy about whether her own use of signs is simple, reward-related mimicry or something more meaningful
    If that was true why is she able to construct her own compound words. For example there is no gorilla sign for ring so Koko constructed finger bracelet. However... my source is an apparent linguistics student I met down the pub. I was talking about Koko to the friend I was with and this student bloke on the table next to me piped in saying he'd just finished studying linguistics at university, and Kokos own words in this way was evidance towards her communication NOT being reward-related mimicry. Bloke down the pub. Sorry this is the best I can do at this moment. Does anyone have any more usefully sourced information about Kokos use of language? I'll start to look now but I'm old and slow

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to YoYoYo For This Post:

DeDukshyn (7th January 2016), KiwiElf (6th January 2016), mpennery (7th January 2016), RunningDeer (7th January 2016), Shannon (7th January 2016), ZooLife (6th January 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Moderator (on Sabbatical) Shannon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,993 times in 1,211 posts

Quote Posted by YoYoYo (here)
    Thank you for that mpennery. I'm a big fan of Koko, and all other signing primates I can find but particularly Koko. It does come across as scripted so nice to learn some background. The editing is done so she seems to conversationally pause etc like humans do. I truely want to learn what Koko thinks of us though. I even read the daily mail link above to see if they reported it. They didn't the article is dismissive of her ability to converse other than to signal for food. The article says:

Quote Posted by Daily Mail pooh-pooh
    She is said to be able to understand 1,000 words of US sign language and 2,000 words of spoken English, but there has been controversy about whether her own use of signs is simple, reward-related mimicry or something more meaningful
    If that was true why is she able to construct her own compound words. For example there is no gorilla sign for ring so Koko constructed finger bracelet. However... my source is an apparent linguistics student I met down the pub. I was talking about Koko to the friend I was with and this student bloke on the table next to me piped in saying he'd just finished studying linguistics at university, and Kokos own words in this way was evidance towards her communication NOT being reward-related mimicry. Bloke down the pub. Sorry this is the best I can do at this moment. Does anyone have any more usefully sourced information about Kokos use of language? I'll start to look now but I'm old and slow

Thanks ...

I wish I had more info too. Here's a quick video of koko and her sadness over the passing of robin Williams. Her peeps said she was sad. I agree with the guy in the video, why did they even tell her? They had a close bond because he made her smile and laugh in a tickle fight after her kitten passed away and she was in a deep depression.

Robin Williams + koko= love and laughter

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uhGgu1RNALQ#

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shannon For This Post:

RunningDeer (7th January 2016), YoYoYo (7th January 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,741 times in 1,233 posts

I'd like for Koko and Anna Breytenbach to meet.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Shannon (7th January 2016), YoYoYo (7th January 2016)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Some years ago I had the wonderful opportunity to meet one of the people who take care of Koko, communicate with her.
    Even though Koko wasn't there herself - it was magical.
    I felt deeply touched, it carries still to this day

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunpaw For This Post:

Shannon (9th January 2016), YoYoYo (7th January 2016)

+ Reply to Thread