+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The richest 1% now have more wealth than the rest of the world combined.

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Curiosity's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The richest 1% now have more wealth than the rest of the world combined.

Wasn't sure where to post this so here it is.
    I found this article to be interesting and thought I'd share it.

"Just 62 individuals now hold the same amount of wealth as 3.6 billion people, the bottom half of the entire planet — a shocking statistic made even more alarming when considering as recently as 2010, that same half of all wealth was held by 388 people. Now, 80 billionaires collectively hold over $2 trillion, while the bottom half has lost $1 trillion of their wealth — in just five years."

http://theantimedia.org/62-people-ha...han-all-of-us/

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Curiosity For This Post:

Bluegreen (19th January 2016), DeDukshyn (19th January 2016), drneglector (19th January 2016), FinallyNow (19th January 2016), Foxie Loxie (19th January 2016), G.Deluca (20th January 2016), ghostrider (19th January 2016), Joao (19th January 2016), justntime2learn (19th January 2016), meeradas (20th January 2016), moekatz (19th January 2016), Rex (19th January 2016), Shannon (19th January 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: The richest 1% now have more wealth than the rest of the world combined.

... Insane ...
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Curiosity (19th January 2016), meeradas (20th January 2016), Shannon (19th January 2016), sigma6 (19th January 2016), Wind (20th January 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,886 times in 760 posts

Default Re: The richest 1% now have more wealth than the rest of the world combined.

I sincerely hope that wealth is not denominated in dollar bills (no par value).

Dollar bills have been worthless since 1933.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...al-tender.aspx
    ". . .Federal Reserve notes are not redeemable in gold, silver or any other commodity, and receive no backing by anything. This has been the case since 1933. The notes have no value for themselves, but for what they will buy. In another sense, because they are legal tender, Federal Reserve notes are "backed" by all the goods and services in the economy."
    Since Congress nor any other American government can take private property without paying just compensation, you have to wonder HOW Congress is kiting "bad checks" underwritten by us?

If I am not mistaken, it's by voluntary enrollment into FICA / SocSec that makes us "contributors" on their debt.

On the day enough withdraw consent, the billionaires become zero-aires.
    For their paper wealth will evaporate.

D'Oh!

6. Link to Post #4
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,430 times in 818 posts

6 Reasons to Be Skeptical about Oxfam's Inequality Numbers

http://www.iea.org.uk/blog/oxfams-gl...apitalist-hype
    Last edited by risveglio; 19th January 2016 at 02:27. Reason: Use original link instead

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by risveglio (here)

Thank you for the link and like the statement in paragraph 4

"4) Oxfam is inconsistent in how it uses these statistics. At a global level, Oxfam highlights the level of net wealth inequality. Whenever they use the very same Credit Suisse data to look at the UK, they discuss the trends – i.e. the changes in the levels. Why are they not consistent and talk about the level of net wealth inequality in the UK? Might it be because the same data shows that most countries have higher net wealth inequality than the UK (on Gini coefficient, top 10% share and top 1% share), which would not fit with Oxfam’s domestic narrative? Might it expose that some of the countries which have bigger welfare states and more redistribution have higher wealth inequality because there is little incentive for the poor to save and accumulate assets?"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curiosity For This Post:

risveglio (19th January 2016), Shannon (19th January 2016)

9. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

Shows you how spiritually unbalanced those in power are ... 80 billionaires are fine with 7 billion people suffering, while the rich could change the world if the virus of greed could be cured ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Becky (19th January 2016), Curiosity (19th January 2016), meeradas (20th January 2016), Sunny-side-up (19th January 2016)

11. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Quote Posted by Curiosity (here)

"4) Oxfam is inconsistent in how it uses these statistics. At a global level, Oxfam highlights the level of net wealth inequality. Whenever they use the very same Credit Suisse data to look at the UK, they discuss the trends – i.e. the changes in the levels. Why are they not consistent and talk about the level of net wealth inequality in the UK? Might it be because the same data shows that most countries have higher net wealth inequality than the UK (on Gini coefficient, top 10% share and top 1% share), which would not fit with Oxfam’s domestic narrative? Might it expose that some of the countries which have bigger welfare states and more redistribution have higher wealth inequality because there is little incentive for the poor to save and accumulate assets?"
    please, give me some reliable backgrounds or studies that show that some of the countries which have bigger welfare states and more redistribution have higher wealth inequality (I am thinking of Canada here for example). This is not what I have seen at all, in fact, the only places before the USA where I have seen incredible wealth inequalities are third world countries. Then the USA, although altogether much richer, has extreme wealth inequality. Curiosity, would you be blind to your own state of affairs?

As fot the little incentive fot he poor to same and accumulate assets, I have heard that mantra over and over again in the USA - when seen from an outside eye, a definite brain washing mantra American have bought to excuse rampant destructive greedy and unbalanced capitalism.

In fact, the poor do not lack incentive to save and accumulate assets - the facts are that they are too poor to accumulate anything, they need all they have to pay for a roof, heating bills and food and nothing is left afterwards - and do not tell me that the money put on a movie once every two weeks for example should be saved. Why not redistributing some of the wealth instead so that the worker do have breaks and mostly hope. it is the lack of hope that pushed the poors to drink their beer in front of TV, not the lack of incentive created by equality..... Canadian do no abide by this mantra and do take business initiatives.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Becky (19th January 2016), FinallyNow (19th January 2016), Hazelfern (19th January 2016), justntime2learn (19th January 2016), meeradas (20th January 2016), Shannon (19th January 2016)

13. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Nice. I was just cleaning up my desk and ran across an OXFAM article that I had printed last year dated 1/19/2015 and here it is.

Richest 1% will own more than all the rest by 2016. Well, here we are and here it is... at least perhaps close.

https://www.oxfam.org/en/pressroom/p...-all-rest-2016
    It's time to change this.

Be cautious of placing oneself in a category it may serve to box you in and not even be correct.

The quotes alone on peoples signatures are reason enough to be here.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FinallyNow For This Post:

Curiosity (19th January 2016), Shannon (19th January 2016)

15. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,169 times in 10,102 posts

We have been conditioned and brainwashed since birth by these very individuals to believe that this is "right" and the "proper" way things should be because if you "work" hard enough you will "get" all of your dreams "fulfilled" and you can even grow up to be President. Well guess what ...

"The Emperor Has No Clothes"

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Curiosity (19th January 2016), Flash (19th January 2016), Foxie Loxie (19th January 2016), meeradas (20th January 2016), moekatz (19th January 2016), Shannon (19th January 2016), Wind (20th January 2016)

17. Link to Post #10
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Flash (here)

please, give me some reliable backgrounds or studies that show that some of the countries which have bigger welfare states and more redistribution have higher wealth inequality (I am thinking of Canada here for example). This is not what I have seen at all, in fact, the only places before the USA where I have seen incredible wealth inequalities are third world countries. Then the USA, although altogether much richer, has extreme wealth inequality. Curiosity, would you be blind to your own state of affairs?

As fot the little incentive fot he poor to same and accumulate assets, I have heard that mantra over and over again in the USA - when seen from an outside eye, a definite brain washing mantra American have bought to excuse rampant destructive greedy and unbalanced capitalism.

In fact, the poor do not lack incentive to save and accumulate assets - the facts are that they are too poor to accumulate anything, they need all they have to pay for a roof, heating bills and food and nothing is left afterwards - and do not tell me that the money put on a movie once every two weeks for example should be saved. Why not redistributing some of the wealth instead so that the worker do have breaks and mostly hope. it is the lack of hope that pushed the poors to drink their beer in front of TV, not the lack of incentive created by equality..... Canadian do no abide by this mantra and do take business initiatives.

From my experience the rich and the poor are both trying to get what they can out of the system, the rich are just better at it. But, the US does not have Capitalism. In the few places where there is Capitalism, we have seen improved quality and lower prices. I don't know what you think Capitalism is, but the US hasn't really had it in well over a century. I don't understand why anyone would want more government when governments are responsible for 90% of the world's problems.

EDIT: Corporatism isn't Capitalism. A perfect example is the rail roads of the late 19th Century. Compare Hill to Cook.
    Last edited by risveglio; 19th January 2016 at 04:33.

18. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Flash (here)

Hey Flash, thanks for the reply. Let me start off by saying I agree with you. I posted that quote because it hit me the same way it hit you, I think.
    It's hard to have any incentive to save or accumulate assets when,"the more you have the more they want and the more they take". Plus the more you have the more it cost you. So if you don't have the means to pay for it, typically you won't have any incentive to acquire it.

So when I read that part of the article it didn't make sense to me and the red flags came up.

If anyone can clarify what that paragraph means, or validate it, it would be appreciated.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Curiosity For This Post:

Flash (19th January 2016)

20. Link to Post #12
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Here is a quick and dirty on the Gini coefficient. Sorry its wiki but orders to Seattle and LA have sky-rocketed for some reason (thanks government) so I am a bit busy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gini_coefficient

A google search will tell you far more.

21. Link to Post #13
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,308 times in 437 posts

It won't be long when there will be no more need for money...

22. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by OMG (here)
    It won't be long when there will be no more need for money...

I wonder what effect this will have on the poor? As for the wealthy, what they own and probably who thy own is what their wealth is based on.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curiosity For This Post:

Flash (19th January 2016), justntime2learn (19th January 2016)

24. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,157 times in 3,105 posts

This was on Sky News UK (mainstream) yesterday morning...folk are waking up.

Viking
    You decide...your thoughts..your actions..your reality.
    Choose well.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...are-the-change

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric J (Viking) For This Post:

Flash (19th January 2016)

26. Link to Post #16
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by viking (here)

Viking
    Of course it was on mainstream. It fits the controllers narrative perfectly. No mention of government cronyism and a call for more government. I expect this to be on every mainstream outlet.

27. Link to Post #17
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Viking
    Of course it was on mainstream. It fits the controllers narrative perfectly. No mention of government cronyism and a call for more government. I expect this to be on every mainstream outlet.
    class warfare is definitely a desired narrative... maybe as a part of the "global restructure"? maybe just to destabilize... hard to say really eh?

I don't trust any of these numbers... the queen of England is worth some 11 - 30 trillion dollars if you count all her land holdings, so may be even fewer people own most the wealth? maybe we have no idea how much money is "out there"? lots of variables IMO.

definitely imbalanced however.
    Last edited by TargeT; 19th January 2016 at 15:17.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Curiosity (20th January 2016), Eric J (Viking) (19th January 2016), Flash (19th January 2016), Foxie Loxie (19th January 2016), justntime2learn (19th January 2016), meeradas (20th January 2016), risveglio (19th January 2016)

29. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Whatever the actual details of where we are up to at this particular moment, the fact remains that this is where we are heading. The 80:20 Pareto principle, as it is called, when applied to itself over and over, leads inevitably to the 99:1 ratio and beyond. See this post: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post874226

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Curiosity (20th January 2016), Flash (19th January 2016), meeradas (20th January 2016)

31. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)

Viking
    class warfare is definitely a desired narrative... maybe as a part of the "global restructure"? maybe just to destabilize... hard to say really eh?

I don't trust any of these numbers... the queen of England is worth some 11 - 30 trillion dollars if you count all her land holdings, so may be even fewer people own most the wealth? maybe we have no idea how much money is "out there"? lots of variables IMO.

definitely imbalanced however.
    Hi TargeT just won't to point out:
    In the case of The Big Queen, she actually has Gold, Silver and Jewellery by the ton.
    She has probably never touched paper-money, except for the uncut roll of notes hanging in he closet (Personal use)
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Curiosity (20th January 2016), Eric J (Viking) (19th January 2016), meeradas (20th January 2016), risveglio (19th January 2016), TargeT (19th January 2016)

33. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member mgray's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,508 times in 1,196 posts

Here's my take on the Oxfam report. It dovetails nicely with the Great Fleecing I have recently written about.
    When in doubt, do the next right thing.
    My blog: http://grayseconomy.com

34. The Following User Says Thank You to mgray For This Post:

Curiosity (20th January 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast