1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member GlassSteagallfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,532 times in 987 posts

Default True Side Effects of LASIK Eye Surgery Revealed

----

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXzqwzQo0Oc

Published on May 23, 2013

Lasik surgery is advertised as a nearly miraculous surgical method of vision correction. It has been estimated that since Lasik became widely available in the late 1990s, nearly three quarters of a million patients have undergone the laser eye surgery. However, many thousands of those patients have experienced serious complications, ranging from blurred vision to blindness. Some in despair have been driven to suicide.

Dean Kantis, creator of the website LifeAfterLasik.com, is among the thousands of Lasik patients who have suffered life-altering complications. In testimony before the Food and Drug Administration, Kantis explained that as a result of the surgery, "I see double vision, halos, starbursts, [experience] fluctuating vision [and] dry eye syndrome." Yet he was told that his procedure was successful.

Is Lasik surgery a blessing, or a curse? How many patients have seen their quality of life adversely affected by what they had been told was a safe and effective vision restoration treatment? What are the risks of Lasik surgery -- and is the public adequately informed of those risks? Dean Kantis joins us today to discuss these important questions.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to GlassSteagallfan For This Post:

Abhaya (1st February 2016), Althena (30th January 2016), Art (30th January 2016), avid (30th January 2016), Awakening2014 (30th January 2016), Bubu (30th January 2016), Calz (31st January 2016), Constance (30th January 2016), drneglector (4th February 2016), Foxie Loxie (30th January 2016), kirolak (30th January 2016), Limor Wolf (31st January 2016), Matt P (31st January 2016), Michelle Marie (1st February 2016), Redstar Kachina (30th January 2016), TraineeHuman (30th January 2016), unearth9 (9th February 2016), WhiteLove (30th January 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Argentina Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,523 times in 661 posts

Default Re: True Side Effects of LASIK Eye Surgery Revealed

This is exactly why I stick to good old glasses...

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,292 times in 744 posts

The doctor who prescribes my (hard) contact lenses, has many a tale to tell of how he has had to develop a new approach to lenses so as to try & correct the damage caused by lasik operations to victims of the procedure when it goes wrong. . . .

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kirolak For This Post:

Althena (31st January 2016), Calz (31st January 2016), Constance (30th January 2016), Limor Wolf (31st January 2016), Michelle Marie (1st February 2016)

6. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,438 times in 3,321 posts

Many Many thanks for this GlassSteagalFan

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Althena (31st January 2016), kirolak (31st January 2016), Limor Wolf (31st January 2016), Michelle Marie (1st February 2016)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 times in 220 posts

I kept on putting off lasik procedure for over 10 years.
    I always felt I should wait for more results to come in from patients who got the procedure, and the long term effects of it.

I now see my intuition kept me away from harm.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to skyflower For This Post:

Althena (31st January 2016), Art (30th January 2016), kirolak (31st January 2016), Limor Wolf (31st January 2016), Matt P (31st January 2016), Michelle Marie (1st February 2016)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,061 times in 906 posts

I have had Lasic done 10 years ago.

For me it was somehow a miracle, I was so caught up with myopia, it was awful. I guess I have some symptoms related to Lasik, but, for me it better than having a blurred fog ten feet in front of me. So, I'm a lucky witness I guess, hope it stays healthy.
    Last edited by Deega; 31st January 2016 at 20:54.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Deega For This Post:

Althena (31st January 2016), Art (30th January 2016), kirolak (31st January 2016), Matt P (31st January 2016), Michelle Marie (1st February 2016), najara12000 (1st February 2016), unearth9 (9th February 2016)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,573 times in 356 posts

I had it done best thing I ever done 10/10

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to regnak For This Post:

Deega (31st January 2016), kirolak (31st January 2016), Matt P (31st January 2016), Michelle Marie (1st February 2016), unearth9 (9th February 2016)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Abhaya's Avatar
    Traveling year round mostly US. And Costa Rica:)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 times in 416 posts

Interesting..... I had the procedure done back in August, vision is amazing went from needing glasses to 20/20..... Don't need drops of any kind... I do drink a lot of water. Guy in the video seems a little too frantic for me to take at face value... Don't know what it is but yeah.... I think that while most people have little or no issue the fact that there would be a conspiracy to hide the problems of those that do is not surprising. The cost is ridiculous so no doubt they will ride that gravy train as hard as they can. Any way right now it has been amazing for me I can see better then ever and have not one negative symptom...... Hope it stays that way.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Abhaya For This Post:

Althena (31st January 2016), Deega (31st January 2016), kirolak (31st January 2016), Michelle Marie (1st February 2016)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,730 times in 2,903 posts

The question is what is the percentage of failures? ... obviously it can't be zero... and we are talking about our eyesight... you guys who did it successfully are very fortunate (and brave!... or... Lol!) But taking a laser to the skin of your eyeballs?... man... that is taking a risk... and how much is it now? last I heard it was $3500? $4000 a pop?

As tempted as I am... I will stick to books and eye training like "Sight without glasses" good nutritional supplements, stuff like that...
    just don't trust big medicine... only in emergencies (i.e. no choice... )

and whatever you don't sign your organ donor card, if you get into a nasty accident... say your last good byes... and know your organs will be worth a good half mil all weighed out on a scale... (oops sorry for going off there... : o
    Last edited by sigma6; 31st January 2016 at 20:55.
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

Matt P (31st January 2016), Michelle Marie (1st February 2016)

18. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Chip's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,498 times in 466 posts

I had mine done in 05. I went in 20/200 and came out 20/15. I was extremely nervous about the entire ordeal being a Pilot and for that very obvious reason.
    I spent weeks looking for the very best Doctor that I could find. There were so many offering the same procedure for far less than what I paid.
    It's not a very long procedure itself but I spent half the day in the office being tested on several different machines that calculated the precisions needed to feed into the Laser.
    I was terribly nervous, so much so that they had to drug me with Valium so as to relax enough to get better readings from the testing equipment.
    They spent a lot of time with me prior to the procedure. It was not a walk in walk out job that I've heard about from others.
    I left with patches over my eyes and don't remember the ride home to this very day. Woke up 12 hours later and removed the patches. When I opened my eyes I thought I was in a dream, then I thought that maybe I left my contacts in. I literally was in shock as to how well I could see.
    The very next day (two days now after the procedure) I had a flight and flew for 8 hours.
    I have not had any halos nor dry eyes or any complications.
    It was the best thing I've ever done for myself. The risk for me was worth it, I was sick of always losing contacts or glasses, being as active that I am.
    To this day I am required every 6 months to take an FAA Class I Flight physical and I am 20/20. I lost a tiny bit since the surgery but it's hard to tell unless I'm looking at an eye chart.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Post:

Abhaya (1st February 2016), Deega (31st January 2016), Matt P (31st January 2016), Michelle Marie (1st February 2016), sigma6 (31st January 2016)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Chipsam (here)
    I had mine done in 05. I went in 20/200 and came out 20/15. I was extremely nervous about the entire ordeal being a Pilot and for that very obvious reason.
    I spent weeks looking for the very best Doctor that I could find. There were so many offering the same procedure for far less than what I paid.
    It's not a very long procedure itself but I spent half the day in the office being tested on several different machines that calculated the precisions needed to feed into the Laser.
    I was terribly nervous, so much so that they had to drug me with Valium so as to relax enough to get better readings from the testing equipment.
    They spent a lot of time with me prior to the procedure. It was not a walk in walk out job that I've heard about from others.
    I left with patches over my eyes and don't remember the ride home to this very day. Woke up 12 hours later and removed the patches. When I opened my eyes I thought I was in a dream, then I thought that maybe I left my contacts in. I literally was in shock as to how well I could see.
    The very next day (two days now after the procedure) I had a flight and flew for 8 hours.
    I have not had any halos nor dry eyes or any complications.
    It was the best thing I've ever done for myself. The risk for me was worth it, I was sick of always losing contacts or glasses, being as active that I am.
    To this day I am required every 6 months to take an FAA Class I Flight physical and I am 20/20. I lost a tiny bit since the surgery but it's hard to tell unless I'm looking at an eye chart.
    Thanks for the description Chip, I have always been intrigued by the whole process, that was very insightful... It sounds like you did it right... very wise on your part... it reminds m of that scene from Minority Report... Lol... (ok, not quite as bad!) ...still blows me away... I'm too paranoid of Doctors to put myself in that position... I'd probably blink at the wrong time! Btw... what would happen if you blinked while the laser is cutting your eyeball skin?.... or looked up?... or I have even seen people whose eyes wobble out uncontrollably, like they are rolling their eyes, but it is only one and it tends to go sideways! (they didn't know this until I mentioned it to them... ': o
    Last edited by sigma6; 31st January 2016 at 21:02.
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

Michelle Marie (1st February 2016)

22. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Chip's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,498 times in 466 posts

Hi Sigma
    There was no way to blink, as your lids are positioned open by some specialized equipment. The head is also put into a restraint so as to immobilize the neck. But, you are still instructed with much emphasis added, to remain very still. I would hate to imagine an untimely "sneeze"!
    There is then a slicing device that they place over the corneal lens. This allows them to peel back and out of the way to allow the laser to shape the cornea ( I might be getting the correct definition of these eye parts wrong, but I think the point is made). The sliced flap is pulled back and you are then placed under the laser at which point you are instructed again, with much emphasis added, to remain very still. The laser then starts zapping away and yes you can hear it and even smell some burning although it was the tiny rise of smoke I noticed drifting up that caught my memory the most (mind you, I was quite high off of Valium).
    It seemed way too long to me but it was about 15 minutes per eye. Afterwards the flap is placed back in place with super glue (just kidding!), flap heals very fast on its own in less than 48 hours.
    It was not a pleasant experience but it did allow me to legally experiment with a drug that I always heard about growing up in the 70's. That was kinda cool!
    Last edited by Chip; 31st January 2016 at 21:30.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Post:

Abhaya (1st February 2016), Michelle Marie (1st February 2016), sigma6 (1st February 2016)

24. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

well since I posted and just read your update... thanks again... lol... now that sounds like a scene out of Clockwork Orange LOL!! (yes I watched too many movies as a kid) still just unbelievably scary... I remember hearing about pulling the eye skin flap... that procedure alone sounds incredibly dangerous... what if that tears? I just see too many things that could go wrong... I'm such a wimp these days... I should work for an insurance company with the state of mind I now have... (NOT!) All my legal study makes me think of nothing else but all the different ways "they" interpret liability... which is how they create their "justification" for constantly nailing us...
    Last edited by sigma6; 1st February 2016 at 11:35.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

Michelle Marie (1st February 2016)

26. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

I've seen methods of restoring good vision, basically muscle exercises from what I can discern. Trouble is you have to abstain from wearing glasses or contacts for the duration of the program. most of us can't go blind for that long. haha. Stumbling around, groping feebly. Anyone with experience using these practices?
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

27. The Following User Says Thank You to conk For This Post:

sigma6 (15th February 2016)

+ Reply to Thread