+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Emergency communications

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,256 times in 2,136 posts

Default Emergency communications

Disaster Preparedness & Recovery

Local radio amateur group volunteers can help maintain communications until the normal operations resume.

Click image for larger version

Name:	radio1.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	32756
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 5th February 2016 at 03:15.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

betoobig (5th February 2016), Bob (5th February 2016), Casey Claar (1st November 2022), Constance (5th February 2016), ghostrider (5th February 2016), gnostic9 (5th February 2016), Harley (5th February 2016), Harmony (5th March 2022), jc71 (5th February 2016), Johnnycomelately (4th March 2022), Journeyman (22nd December 2020), justntime2learn (5th February 2016), mab777 (5th February 2016), Matt P (5th February 2016), mojo (5th February 2016), Nasu (19th April 2016), palehorse (4th March 2022), Sunny-side-up (5th February 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,404 times in 5,642 posts

Default Re: Emergency communications

And the cool thing is you don't need to learn Morse code anymore for entry level licensing but I guess if the grid went down there would be no need for a ham license and people will be using all the frequencies available. Certain frequencies are more conducive to long distance communication. I wonder if Bill has a setup down in Ecuador that can reach out and touch us?

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

betoobig (5th February 2016), Casey Claar (1st November 2022), Harmony (5th March 2022), jc71 (5th February 2016), Johnnycomelately (4th March 2022), justntime2learn (5th February 2016), Nasu (19th April 2016), Ron Mauer Sr (5th February 2016), Sunny-side-up (5th February 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,741 times in 1,499 posts

Just seen this:

A classic example of how useful amateur radio still is.

(I've got a beacon running undetectable below the noise level on 10 MHz being picked up across Europe and N America. To be honest it doesn't carry much useful data, but it's only 0.4 watts - equivalent of a torch/flashlight bulb - and shows what can be done surreptitiously if required!)

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th April 2016), Casey Claar (1st November 2022), Harmony (5th March 2022), Johnnycomelately (4th March 2022), Journeyman (22nd December 2020), Nasu (19th April 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,373 times in 1,568 posts

Found this one a while ago, but they were not selling, it was a prototype, then I subscribed to their newsletter and I received the email they have a working model available..

https://beechat.network/

It says is compatible with Android phones.

from their website
    "Our new quantum-secure portable mesh network communications device that turns your phone into a next-gen communicator. Beechat's first product is launching in January 2022."
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th March 2022), Casey Claar (1st November 2022), Harmony (5th March 2022), Johnnycomelately (4th March 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I got a few Baofeng two ways radio, tested with my kid, such a nice thing to have, in our land there is no cellular towers, not even close, hence phones does not work there, no internet either unless I subscribe to a satellite plan which is not cheap here. I went up to the hills for a hike, I carried one of the radios with me, I got quite deep into the jungle at first, and I could communicate very clearly with my kid which was about 1.5km away from me, then I went all the way up to the top which is around 770m high, the radio started fading a bit, but still could hear well.
    Test was done and I am happy with these little radios, they are dirty cheap, I hope they will last longer
    I do recommend to buy one, can be useful in many situations, in the manual says it will work at max of 5km of distance in straight flat line.. for me worked pretty well up the hills and more or less 2.8km of distance.
    --

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Casey Claar (1st November 2022), Harmony (2nd November 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (1st November 2022), Johnnycomelately (2nd November 2022), lake (1st November 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Casey Claar's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,749 times in 702 posts

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)
    I got a few Baofeng two ways radio, tested with my kid, such a nice thing to have, in our land there is no cellular towers, not even close, hence phones does not work there, no internet either unless I subscribe to a satellite plan which is not cheap here. I went up to the hills for a hike, I carried one of the radios with me, I got quite deep into the jungle at first, and I could communicate very clearly with my kid which was about 1.5km away from me, then I went all the way up to the top which is around 770m high, the radio started fading a bit, but still could hear well.
    Test was done and I am happy with these little radios, they are dirty cheap, I hope they will last longer
    I do recommend to buy one, can be useful in many situations, in the manual says it will work at max of 5km of distance in straight flat line.. for me worked pretty well up the hills and more or less 2.8km of distance.
    Thank you for the suggestion. For the readers:

The Baofeng Store

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Ron Mauer Sr (here)

Local radio amateur group volunteers can help maintain communications until the normal operations resume.

Attachment 32756
    Is anyone else having difficulty accessing the link??

I can't get in. "Can't find the server" message.
    "Love is what is left when you let go of everything you no longer need." —Raj

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Casey Claar For This Post:

Harmony (2nd November 2022), Johnnycomelately (2nd November 2022), palehorse (2nd November 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Casey Claar (here)
    Quote Posted by palehorse (here)
    Thank you for the suggestion. For the readers:

The Baofeng Store

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Ron Mauer Sr (here)

Attachment 32756
    Is anyone else having difficulty accessing the link??

I can't get in. "Can't find the server" message.

Just to add: I got the BF-888S model (UHF) and BF-UV-5R model (this model is a bit better, dual band UHF and VHF).

I got mine on Aliexpress, very cheap.

About the link, it seems the domain name is down, I could not access either. But here it is a copy on Archive.com

https://web.archive.org/web/20160206...-Shutdown.html
    --

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Casey Claar (2nd November 2022), Harmony (2nd November 2022), Johnnycomelately (2nd November 2022), Nick Matkin (3rd November 2022), Vangelo (3rd November 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,741 times in 1,499 posts

I know it's not very practical for most people, but there are still huge advantages to using Morse code (aka CW - continuous or carrier wave) for emergency communication.
    • The transmitting equipment can be really very simple and very reliable.
    • It has up to 20dB (100 times) signal advantage over voice communications, meaning it can be copied easily when a voice signal is lost deep in the noise.
    • It can be used on any frequency - choose the frequency that will give you the coverage you need. Ground wave for just up to say 20 to 100 miles, or sky wave for trans state or international communication.
    • Antennas can be simple, very discrete and hard to spot.
    • Transmitters need be no more powerful than 50 watts, and often much less. This means battery operation is easy.
    • It can be used to send messages using light/laser if required.
    • If you have someone who can send and receive Morse at both ends you have the advantage; will the Bad Guys be listening for Morse signals? Without the right receiving equipment the signals wouldn't be detectable! And if they were who can transcribe it even if you use plain language?

I recently used just one watt of CW on 21 MHz using a 15 metre bit of wire for the antenna to communicate UK to Turkey. No phones, no internet, no gatekeepers. Just a cooperating ionosphere...

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Casey Claar (3rd November 2022), Ernie Nemeth (3rd November 2022), Szymon (18th April 2023)

17. Link to Post #9
    Vanuatu On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,178 times in 354 posts

Hi Nick,

I used to do Morse code about 20-30 years ago on the 20m HF before the digital modes came out on the HF/VHF/UHF. This is pre-internet. Back then we used to connect to the University 2m gateway link and used packet radio to hop into the US from Australia.

I remember using the MFJ TNC 1278 Multimode radio modem. It was a nice piece of equipment.

Here is a bit more about Apranet and it's roots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_Radio_Van

This is how I got into the IT industry.

Cheers,
    Szymon

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Szymon For This Post:

Casey Claar (19th April 2023), Nick Matkin (20th April 2023)

+ Reply to Thread