+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5.8 just hit close to Christchurch New Zealand, anyone feel it?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,308 times in 7,756 posts

Default 5.8 just hit close to Christchurch New Zealand, anyone feel it?

just checking...

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,308 times in 7,756 posts

Default Re: 5.8 just hit close to Christchurch New Zealand, anyone feel it?

"Similar shaking in Christchurch to Feb 2011 quake. Family's pool emptied again. This is another serious event. #eqnz"

"Quake-broken Christchurch gallery reopens 11 hours ago after repairs from 2011 quake completed..."

After a 5-yr absence, Christchurch Centre of Modern Arts has reopened.

It took three years to restore the quake-broken constructing.

Opening day attracted individuals of all ages.

First opened in 1968, in the present day guests have been welcomed again after it has undergone $four million of earthquake repairs. link

https://assets.stuff.co.nz/video/pro...1355-quake.mp4

Last edited by Rocky_Shorz; 14th February 2016 at 01:06.

3. Link to Post #3
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 times in 950 posts

It's on the news here Rocky, and seems to have done some damage but not like the 'big' one. Are you close to Christchurch? There are rather scary photos of cliffs falling into the sea. I hope Kiwi Elf and anyone else who is an Avalonian (?) in NZ near this quake are OK and have had no damage. Aftershocks were mentioned.

I guess it's like the bushfires here--- what can you do besides keep smiling and be thankful for the emergency services who have always been brilliant when 'it' happens? I'll be thinking of the people in NZ.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

Elisheva (14th February 2016), fourty-two (15th February 2016), thunder24 (14th February 2016)

5. Link to Post #4
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Harley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,307 times in 1,374 posts

Quote Posted by Ellisa (here)
    There are rather scary photos of cliffs falling into the sea.
    You mean like this one?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Harley For This Post:

Elisheva (14th February 2016)

7. Link to Post #5
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,691 posts

It's on the news here Rocky, and seems to have done some damage but not like the 'big' one. Are you close to Christchurch? There are rather scary photos of cliffs falling into the sea. I hope Kiwi Elf and anyone else who is an Avalonian (?) in NZ near this quake are OK and have had no damage. Aftershocks were mentioned.

I guess it's like the bushfires here--- what can you do besides keep smiling and be thankful for the emergency services who have always been brilliant when 'it' happens? I'll be thinking of the people in NZ.
    @ Ellisa - Many thanks for your concern and thoughtful words Ellisa - fortunately I'm a few hundred miles away north of there in Tauranga. No serious injuries or damage have been reported but many jangled nerves. They are expecting aftershocks to follow which could exceed Magnitude 5. The 5.8 lasted for about 20 seconds.

8. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Zionbrion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,936 times in 345 posts

Quote Posted by KiwiElf (here)

@ Ellisa - Many thanks for your concern and thoughtful words Ellisa - fortunately I'm a few hundred miles away north of there in Tauranga. No serious injuries or damage have been reported but many jangled nerves. They are expecting aftershocks to follow which could exceed Magnitude 5. The 5.8 lasted for about 20 seconds.

Is Tauranga by that big volcanoe? And is that the town filled with hot springs? I was there 10 years ago, I cant quite remember.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zionbrion For This Post:

KiwiElf (15th February 2016)

10. Link to Post #7
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Is Tauranga by that big volcanoe? And is that the town filled with hot springs? I was there 10 years ago, I cant quite remember.
    Mt Maunganui (Mauao) is an extinct volcano (which can be seen in the link below) and does have a large public hot pool at its base, and we're about 50 nm from White Island which is an active volcano out to sea to the Sth East and no, no hot springs. You may be thinking of Rotorua which is our version of Yellowstone. That's about a 40 min drive South West of here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tauranga
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 14th February 2016 at 18:13.

11. Link to Post #8
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

As rumours circulate on some alternative media sites that the recent quake in Christchurch was [again] artificially created, GNS modelling warns of future large quakes:

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/top-storie...ch-earthquake/

There is a high possibility Christchurch could be hit with another earthquake in the next 12 months following Sunday's 5.7 magnitude quake.

According to new modelling completed by GNS Science, there is a 63 per cent chance of another 5 to 5.9 earthquake in the Canterbury region.

Before Sunday's quake the figure was 49 per cent.

GNS Science duty seismologist Anna Kaiser told Fairfax there is a 19 per cent chance of a 5 to 5.9 quake hitting in the next week, and two per cent chance of a 6 to 6.9 quake in the same time period.

She did have hopeful news for Christchurch residents, indicating the percentage of a strong earthquake in the next 12 months will drop quickly should there be no sizable earthquake in the next week.

Video [at link] Severe quake rattles Christchurch, cars shake

It is unknown exactly what fault caused the 5.7 earthquake on Sunday.

The quake lasted for 30 seconds, but it was enough to knock items of shelves, and cause the roof at Countdown supermarket in Eastgate Mall to collapse.

More than 30 aftershocks were felt around the Canterbury region, including a magnitude 4.3 quake at 6.30pm.

Jason Street, 38, from Rangiora, which is about 25km north of Christchurch CBD, told Yahoo: "It was pretty bad, I ran outside pretty quick. It felt like it lasted ages but it was only around 25 to 30 seconds.

"It wasn't as bad as the quakes in February 2011 however it was still very scary.

"I was just inside watching the NZ vs Australia cricket test having lunch. I put the lunch away and went outside once it started to get worse. It started off pretty small and developed into a large quake quickly."

Christchurch City Council has received a number of calls regarding property damage.

Cellphone towers were down for long period on Sunday, while many people's glass windows shattered during the quake.

+ Reply to Thread