+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Thread: The Impermanence of All Things

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 times in 1,310 posts

Default Re: The Impermanence of All Things

Dear Bill,

Thank you for sharing your adventure and insights. Sometimes it takes a loss to bring the real value of such to the HEART>>>> I love that your backpack was like your "Little Brother", a long time companion. The memories will forever flood and flash when someone says my "Little Brother" all because you gave feeling and words to the emptiness felt..........and in that You gained a whole lot of Appreciation and Love, even if it was inanimate object, it was filled with memories of Companionship, Loyalty, Passion and LOVE.
    Last edited by sandy; 21st February 2016 at 03:19.
    Love and Light Always/Sandy

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st February 2016), Hym (21st February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), Jules (25th February 2016), kfm27917 (29th July 2020), ljwheat (22nd February 2016), Michelle Marie (6th July 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member swoods_blue's Avatar
    Thanks

Three days ago, I was thinking, "Odd that Bill hasn't started any threads in 2016. I wish he would."

What a nice surprise to read your post.

I used to be bothered when I lost something (I can be quite scatterbrained), or when something that had given good service wore out. Now, if a good search doesn't turn up the missing item or if something broken can't be mended, I just shrug, and try not to dwell on it.

You never know; Sometimes, something misplaced decides to turn up again, and then it's such a pleasant surprise. :-)

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to swoods_blue For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st February 2016), Hym (21st February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), Jules (25th February 2016), Kez (21st February 2016), ljwheat (22nd February 2016), Michelle Marie (6th July 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,729 times in 2,903 posts

Great share Bill, that land looks so beautiful... I would love to live in a place like that... awesome... the wide open spaces... and I have an old Mountain Co-op knapsack... I think it must be at least 20 years old, and it still works, I replaced the big zipper on it, and will have to do it again soon, but I really loved it when I found out it was just big enough to hold a 24 of beers!... lol... (haven't bought a "2-4" in years ... yeachhhh... not my cup of tea anymore... it used to blue, but it is sun faded to a light purple now... $400 of stuff is still a lot!... I like your state of mind... profound spirit... that must come with the expansive environment that you now inhabit... and quite intriguing little mystery too... that someone could just come along and steal it like that... best of luck and thanks for the wonderful story... and here is a poem it reminded me of... (or soliloquy?)

Prospero:
    Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
    As I foretold you, were all spirits, and
    Are melted into air, into thin air:
    And like the baseless fabric of this vision,
    The cloud-capp'd tow'rs, the gorgeous palaces,
    The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
    Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
    And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
    Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.

The Tempest Act 4, scene 1, 148–158
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

42 (21st February 2016), Antagenet (18th March 2016), Bill Ryan (21st February 2016), Hym (21st February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), kfm27917 (29th July 2020), ljwheat (22nd February 2016), Michelle Marie (6th July 2018), mojo (21st February 2016), Raven (21st February 2016), wnlight (24th February 2016)

7. Link to Post #24
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,599 times in 5,379 posts

It could have been worse - it could have been your hat!

Great story Bill. Beautiful Pics

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Antagenet (18th March 2016), avid (21st February 2016), Bill Ryan (21st February 2016), Hym (21st February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), Ivanhoe (21st February 2016), Jules (23rd February 2016), kfm27917 (29th July 2020), Krist (22nd February 2016), Kryztian (24th February 2016), ljwheat (22nd February 2016), Michelle Marie (6th July 2018), mojo (21st February 2016), ulli (21st February 2016)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,291 times in 744 posts

Thank you for sharing with us, Bill! What a paradise you live in (along with All Sorts of others, clearly!) So sorry about your bag, but perhaps the Universe will give you something else in exchange. . . . it's always a shock to one when there's irrefutable evidence that all existence is in flux - even knowing this intellectually, some things a re still gut-wrenching.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kirolak For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st February 2016), Hym (21st February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), kfm27917 (29th July 2020), ljwheat (22nd February 2016), Michelle Marie (6th July 2018), mojo (21st February 2016), sigma6 (4th March 2016)

11. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,413 times in 5,643 posts

Hi Bill,
    Have you spotted any UFOs since being there in Ecuador? I would think the opportunity would be greater in a Country that promotes open disclosure. Cheers

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2016), Hym (24th February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), ljwheat (22nd February 2016), Michelle Marie (6th July 2018), sigma6 (4th March 2016)

13. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member ljwheat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,570 times in 870 posts

Thanks Bill, I find it increasingly difficult to play the game of human existence sourly based on the mental food we all have been fed since we birthed on this planet.. I am glad you have had fare more chances to step into the shoe's of those who have once lived on this planet at a before us. To reflect on this, is so important , as 20 thousand years from our existence will be looked upon in a similar fashion, what will be different, will they call us the ancient one that have gone before as we have been taught as well..

Or will we wake up to the reality or the technology lie that all that has passed is ancient? Or will we finally wake up to the fact that we have always been, that time, history is morally just a story told to control the people of this planet at this moment .. for all moments are as this one. ..were we are at, in this moment? The book call Forbidden Archaeology the origins of men has so vividly pointed out. 800 million years ago we lived, awareness hasn't changed only technology has, and that has the right to lead our thinking? We have always been .... but just trapped in this tech thinking bubble.. and what are we doing to let those 20 thousand years from now know, we are not ancients as we do pointing at our ancient past in stone or foundations that will not stand up to the riggers of time or nature... or is this the way we get away from eternal board-om, saying i was never before and i am It ALL now..

When we had to move here to earth from Mars because of a war that destroyed the planet next to us, that blew away our atmosphere and had to start all over again from scratch yet again.. and should war come again that only a remnant of what we are today lives on, what will they see of our remains, . How do we put this in words for those around us, that in a true sense still believe the world is still flat. ? The controller think we cant handle the truth.. so they tell us stories and religion and burn and destroy history and write it as they see fit.. just saying..............
    Last edited by ljwheat; 22nd February 2016 at 04:47.
    Paintings that I have created over the last 35 years >Gallery https://projectavalon.net/forum4/album.php?albumid=587< or here at ACC http://www.ashtarcommandcrew.net/gro...-or-collection

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ljwheat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2016), Hym (24th February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), kfm27917 (29th July 2020), Michelle Marie (6th July 2018)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

two other poems that come to mind -

VIGILS

We dream in valleys
    beyond sleep,
    beyond touch or feel
    our vigils keep.
    And in winding dreams
    soft spun and deep,
    we bind as one
    the love we keep.

POISE

You poise
    on the pinnacle
    of dream,
    evanescent
    as breath,
    more fleeting
    than mind turns
    (swiftly, in its golden
    socket like a globe).
    Yet your precarious
    balance
    is more secure
    than time.

(also taken from “If We Live Again Or, Public Magic and Private Love” - a book of poetry by Jane Roberts)

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Raven For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2016), Ernie Nemeth (22nd February 2016), Hym (24th February 2016), kfm27917 (29th July 2020), ljwheat (27th July 2020)

17. Link to Post #29
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

It's good to see someone just get up and go exploring. Inspiring photos, thanks.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2016), Hym (24th February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), Kryztian (24th February 2016), ljwheat (27th July 2020)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

yes Bill, I totally agree with you: the letting of the most cherished things and people has to happen and it has to happen in an honouring and appreciative way We all have to learn that lesson and it is very liberating to learn it indeed. I feel with you as I always fell very attached to good gear and useful things but also had to learn that these things are only partly part of my journey. And if things get 'lost' the way you experienced it I think 'may the one person that found it find happiness' thanks again for sharing, it was so lovely to read!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bee For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2016), Hym (24th February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016)

21. Link to Post #31
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,931 times in 1,031 posts

Bill,

That was beautifully written and the sentiment so well expressed. I am in agreement with many others here who believe that a book would be very well received.

All that you gained in your travels that day; the irreplaceable memories, the time with friends, the opportunity to touch the past and reflect on the impermanence of it all. And then of course, the ransom for your experience- your beloved back pack. It is almost as though on some level, the burden of the pack was to great to bear, thus you left it, presumably well hidden. I can't help but wonder if on some psychic level, you left the pack as an offering, even if to the descendants of the Ancient ones in exchange for the trip or perhaps to purge the past.

The loss of things can be painful. Our home in the city was burglarized in July. The home is awaiting being placed on the market when the market recovers. Many valuables were stolen, but I still mourn the theft of my mother's sterling silver flatware. Not due to the monetary value, but the loss of the talisman of many celebrations and meals that were had with the silver. I can still recall the way the forks felt, resting against my thumb as I was tucking into some delicious homespun creation. I imagined she and my father (now deceased) picking out the pattern for their wedding registry and the witnesses to their union who gifted them the silver. So many welcomed hands had touched it and the intrusive hands that stole it only knew its monetary value. That is the pain of the thing.

I hope your backpack finds its way back to you. Perhaps you could put up a sign nearby stating that you just want the pack back?

Thank you for sharing your story. Looking forward to many, many more.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AriG For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2016), Chuck_M (22nd February 2016), Hym (24th February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016)

23. Link to Post #32
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hi Bill,
    By coincidence, Laila sent me this Rumi poem today which made me think of you:
    The Guest House

This being human is a guest-house
    Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
    some momentary awareness comes
    as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
    Even if they’re a crowd of sorrows,
    who violently sweep your house
    empty of its furniture.

Still, treat each guest honourably,
    he may be clearing you out
    for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
    Meet them at the door laughing,
    and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
    because each has been sent
    as a guide from beyond.

Jalal al-Din Rumi
    I miss those Ecuadorian hills. Reminds me of trips to Cajas when we were living in Cuenca.

All the best,
    Chuck

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chuck_M For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2016), Hym (24th February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), Joe Sustaire (25th February 2016), ljwheat (27th July 2020), Love (23rd February 2016), wnlight (24th February 2016)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,286 times in 818 posts

His-story likes to tell tales of fallen and rising empires. We like to imagine and write his-story...but how accurate is the script? All ancient artifacts scattered around the world seems to suggest that humans lived simple lives, lived off the land, and used simple technology (from what we can examine).

It’s hard to imagine that our time in history will end with our stories buried in ruins like the past civilizations were. I can’t foresee the statue of liberty crown sticking out from underneath water/land, I can’t see dilapidated skyscrapers or miles of wreck and abandoned cars. I just can’t see a future where humans are scavenging and/or excavating the past we live in today. That whole idea seems more like something you would see in a movie. The empires today are way too large/ too organized/ too advance in technology to just dwindle away…not without some extreme chaos. Today’s empires will have to be reformed/revamped if humanity is to survive another change in empires. Total destruction (this time around) will most likely be the end to humanity all together...as no one will be left to write anything.

If anyone/anything is going to observe/study our history as we studied past civilizations…I doubt it will be anytime soon or by any human that looks like we do today.
    We will either take hold and foster on…or be annihilated completely… leaving the planet virtually unlivable for humans, and probably most other beings too.

If we don’t wise up…every historian in the future (human or alien) will be looking at our time as the most promising civilization… yet the most destructive. The amount of fossilized plastics, environmentally harmful and unconventional tech that will be unearthed will make our timeline look barbaric, irresponsible, naive, selfish, lacked guidance, lacked a sense of direction, respect, and perseverance.

I highly doubt the next “End Game” will reveal such beauty or mystery. It can only be dreadful, embarrassing, and easy to figure out why we failed. However, the future is not really written in “stone”. We as a collective can stop the downward spiral and continue to advance…or, we can stay divided and watch from the front row how our moment in history shames all the rest. Very interesting times we live in...

Peace
    --
    Humans created so much wonder through their division, just imagine what they can do through Unity...

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peace of Mind For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2016), Ernie Nemeth (22nd February 2016), Hym (24th February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), ljwheat (27th July 2020), william r sanford72 (18th March 2016)

27. Link to Post #34
    Czech Republic Avalon Member Pilgrim's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    It could have been worse - it could have been your hat!

Great story Bill. Beautiful Pics
    Ha ha :D, exactly, no you are talking. Bill, I could not stand that one... I guess that hat is more part of you than back pack (at least for us here).

Nice area for hiking btw. Those pics inspire one to come over and enjoy hike over there.

Thanks for sharing.

Pilgrim

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pilgrim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2016), Hym (24th February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), ljwheat (27th July 2020)

29. Link to Post #35
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,711 times in 2,086 posts

Spending so much time in the wilderness I have come to the realization that us as a people would be so much more dialed in to mother earth and ourself's if we just took the time to do what you did on this mini expedition Bill. Its a serenity within a serenity.And I suspect is why the Indians and tribes of all sects who respected their environment were so in tune with the earth and seasons as well such as the Hopi Indians among st others. That being said the loss of your backpack is indeed like an old friend. I remember leaving my fishing tackle box on the dock of the lake when I was 13 . All fishing lures old and new and what a collection ,taken on many fishing trips with a story to that box and its contents . Instead of someone turning it in , someone took it before I got back. That was 40 years ago and I still am bummed I never got it back . Not to keep it but to share for this lifetime until my time is up this go around, so we move on right.

I was really put to the test some 6 years ago when my vacation home in the woods burned to the ground. For 6 hours I watched it go up as the firefighters tried to contain it. All my sports memorabilia signed and old old pictures of the family, antiques, collections from Europe. A pacman machine my dad gave to me . Movies and all of the kitchen supplies my grandparents left me from their restaurant and a bar-back from their place in Detroit in the 20's and so much more. Basically my entire life and history went up in smoke and when midnight came around that night all the some 30 firefighters were gone, it was 20 degrees outside and everything was quiet and I was the only one left there that night to digest what I just had experienced. I remember looking at the stars and how beautiful they looked that night and even though I felt a void of what was lost I also knew that the memories would last forever and thus we start again only to make more. I have this picture of Father Solanus in front of me that quotes him saying " Mans Greatness lies in being faithful to the present moment ". And that is a constant reminder to me of whats really important . Thanks for the pics and the story .

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd February 2016), Hym (24th February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), ljwheat (27th July 2020), wnlight (18th June 2019)

31. Link to Post #36
    United States Avalon Member Jules's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 times in 233 posts

It is very beautiful where you are Even if I didn't discover a hidden treasure, it would not be a waste of time to visit there. My dad has a theory that the people disappeared because food ran out and they migrated to another location. It is still a mystery that the clues have not shown the truth. Some think they vibrated at a higher level and are in another dimension. i kind of like to imagine what happened. Humanity has a lot of issues right now due to activities that have been ongoing for a few thousand years patiently planning what we see today. Research Jay Parker and the agenda of the estabilishment that his parents were involved in, and it will answer some questions... It did for me anyway.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jules For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd February 2016), Hym (24th February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), ljwheat (27th July 2020)

33. Link to Post #37
    United States Avalon Member WildOrchid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 times in 218 posts

What a great story, Bill. Thank you for sharing!
    And those amazing alpine pictures....wow.... they made my heart sing!
    Artist - Lover of Life - Seeker of Truth

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WildOrchid For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th February 2016), Hym (24th February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), ljwheat (27th July 2020)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,517 times in 32,788 posts

Thanks to all for your most interesting, high quality comments.

A couple of updates... which are also interesting.

First, I discovered (I hadn't known this) that Shelley's famous poem OZYMANDIAS was actually written in friendly competition with his fellow poet, Horace Smith. Smith published his own version of exactly the same theme a couple of weeks later, and it's not nearly as well-known.

In my opinion, it's also really wonderful... in some ways, even more poignant. At the sonnet's close, Smith muses on the thoughts of a future archaeologist looking over the ancient ruins of contemporary London.

And wow, that's very strong. "What powerful but unrecorded race... once dwelt in that annihilated place."

In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
    Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
    The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
    "I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
    "The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
    "The wonders of my hand."— The City's gone,—
    Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
    The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder,—and some Hunter may express
    Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
    Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
    He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
    What powerful but unrecorded race
    Once dwelt in that annihilated place.
    ~~~

From the sublime to the ridiculous (maybe! But this is also profound in a different way), it was suggested that I might be able to recall/reclaim all the little 'bits of me' that were embedded in the lost backpack.

So I did just that... I called them all back to me. And WOW, what a sudden change. (This little technique deserves a thread of its own.) It all immediately felt totally different, and I was really able to let it go, and not look back. The sense of loss just evaporated.

Almost immediately after that, I came across an advertisement, on a UK mountaineering forum, from a climber who had the same rucksack for sale — used, of course. He wanted $30 for it.

So I snapped it up. It'll go to a VERY good home.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 24th February 2016 at 14:55.

36. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alberto e Daniela (24th June 2016), Atlas (24th February 2016), Constance (24th February 2016), Hervé (24th February 2016), hohoemi (24th February 2016), Iloveyou (24th February 2016), Jad (29th July 2020), Jhonie (24th February 2016), Joe Sustaire (25th February 2016), Jules (25th February 2016), Kryztian (24th February 2016), ljwheat (27th July 2020), RunningDeer (24th February 2016), sandy (15th March 2016), Spirithorse (24th February 2016), swoods_blue (1st March 2016), WhiteFeather (26th February 2016), william r sanford72 (24th February 2016), wnlight (18th June 2019)

37. Link to Post #39
    United States Avalon Member Jules's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 times in 233 posts

I was joking with my niece that some things lost go into another dimension, like the twilight zone. Those in the next dimension like socks, that is why so many go missing.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jules For This Post:

Alberto e Daniela (24th June 2016), Antagenet (18th March 2016), Bill Ryan (26th February 2016), ljwheat (27th July 2020)

39. Link to Post #40
    United States Avalon Member WhiteFeather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,971 times in 5,651 posts

Beautiful surroundings Bill. Thanks for sharing. And If I may, I visioned a bird of prey as the culprit here , taking off with your bag. The bird was most curious of this object you left unattended to. 😆
    "Although I Live On This World, I Choose Not To Live In It"
    <:~W.F.~:>

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th February 2016), ljwheat (27th July 2020), RunningDeer (26th February 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast