Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 5 6 LastLast

Thread: A major key to a long and healthy life: fasting or a ketogenic diet

1. Link to Post #81
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Default Re: A major key to a long and healthy life: fasting or a ketogenic diet

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    Hi Paul. As it's now one month later (May 24th), could you share another update as well as going into detail about what you actually eat specifically from meal to meal in a typical day?

Many thanks.
    Ok

My main sources of a variety of nutrients are:
    • my specially prepared water (see below),
    • a blender smoothie,
    • paleo-like fats and proteins,
    • some particular vitamin supplements, and
    • Steve Gibson's Healthy Sleep Formula.

I have made one significant change in this last month - removing krill and cod liver oil, in line with Brian Peskin's work on what he terms parent-essential oils. He observes that omega-6 linoleic acid (LA) and omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) are essential fatty acids in the construction of cell and mitochondria membranes, and that they play an essential role in the transport of oxygen across the membrane walls. These two fatty acids are, in his view, the only two essential fatty acids for the human body that the body must get from outside food. We can convert whatever other so-called "essential" fatty acids, such as DHA and EPA, from LA and ALA, as needed. The conventional medical view is that our body is inefficient at this conversion, so it is usually recommended to supplement with additional DHA and EPA, such as obtained from the oil of fish and krill that live in cold water. Peskin's view is that DHA and EPA are dangerous supplements and should be studiously avoided, because they turn rancid (oxidize) rapidly in warm, oxygen rich environments, such as within any living human body. Only fish adapted to living in ice cold water require high concentrations of DHA and EPA. To Peskin it makes no more sense to supplement with DHA and EPA than it does to supplement with automobile antifreeze.

My specially prepared water goes through a number of steps to remove toxins, add a variety of water soluble minerals and restructure the water. First the water passes through (1) a whole house chlorine filter, (2) an under the sink reverse osmosis unit and (3) a counter top distiller. Then a separate nearly saturated concentrate (aka "sole") is prepared, with various minerals. These minerals include "Real Salt" (from Utah, similar to pink Himalayan salt), sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, Lugol's iodine, a wee bit of borax, some home prepared ionic silver (using the excellent Silver Puppy colloidal silver generator), Willard water, MSM, magnesium bicarbonate (the making of which is in itself an interesting procedure), and Epsom salts. The concentrate is then spun for several hours in a vortex (*) using a Lab Companion Magnetic Stirrer, while playing classical music over some headphones outside the large glass jar, and shining an LED grow light down onto it. Since it's a concentrate, the sole concentrate can sit out on a shelf at room temperature. The final drinkable water is made with about 10 parts of the distilled water and 1 part of the concentrate. That drinking water is kept in a glass jug in the refrigerator, as it is perishable.

My blender smoothie is quite a concoction of various items, in an ever changing variety. Here's a list I made recently of what's in it:
    • ground flax seeds
    • soaked chia seeds
    • kale leaves
    • spinach leaves
    • broccoli
    • asparagus
    • carrots
    • red beet root
    • safflower oil
    • sunflower oil
    • walnut oil
    • flax oil
    • hemp oil
    • pumpkin oil
    • chorella
    • coconut oil
    • olive oil
    • red palm oil
    • raw egg, from properly fed, cage free, hens
    • Vitamineral Green superfood powder
    • Boku superfood powder
    • Life Extension Mix multivitamin powder
    • Green Vibrance superfood powder
    • turmeric spice
    • curcumin
    • ginger
    • cayenne
    • cinnamon

My paleo-like fats and proteins include grass fed butter, avacodo, "Bullet coffee" (coffee, butter and MCT oil), organic uncured bacon, beef jerky from grass fed cows (be careful to avoid the many jerky's with some hidden MSG in the ingredients), and some wonderful Amish raw milk cheddar cheese from Heinis.

My present supplements include
    • liposomal spray of vitamin D-3 and K-2,
    • sublingual vitamin B-12 (methylcobalamin),
    • transdermal magnesium,
    • Lugol's iodine (about 1 gm/day of the 5% solution provides about 50 mg/day of the potassium iodide and iodine mix)
    • several grams of chewable Vitamin C each day (sweetened with sorbitol and/or xylitol, not with fructose),
    • various probiotic tablets,
    • lithium orotate,
    • chelated manganese,
    • chelated zinc,
    • folic acid,
    • a B-100 vitamin B complex,
    • quercetin,
    • Evening Primrose Oil,
    • Nutrition Essentials "Neuro Clarity",
    • Christopher's Kidney formula,
    • benfotiamine,
    • Vitacost's N-Acetyl L-Carnitine, Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) & CoQ10 mix,
    • 500 mg niacin (will give a strong flush the first few times),
    • Essiac herbal extract,
    • European milk thistle, and
    • Vitacost AdvanC (C with quercetin and bioflavonoids).

I wash down the vitamins, and the healthy sleep formula, with a glass of organic unfiltered apple juice that has an ounce or two of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (with the "mother") added.

The purified remineralized, re-energized water should be drunk on an empty stomach, such as when first arising in the morning, as it doesn't work well with the stomach acids needed in the digestion of many of the other foods above.

I try to get to the Bullet coffee early in the day, as it's a drink I like, but I often find that I have been busy productively doing stuff, from the moment I stand up, and just don't get to the coffee until it would be too close to bed time.

(*) P.S. - The vortex spins inside a large 2 gallon glass sun tea jar with six very strong magnets taped to the outside, in an alternating hexagonal pattern.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 24th May 2016 at 20:06.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Akasha (24th May 2016), Alan (25th May 2016), Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), Billy (25th May 2016), Czarek (20th August 2017), Mike (2nd June 2017), RunningDeer (24th May 2016), thunder24 (24th May 2016), toppy (27th May 2016)

3. Link to Post #82
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,162 times in 1,389 posts

Thanks for that detailed reply. Have you lost any more weight?
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), ThePythonicCow (24th May 2016)

5. Link to Post #83
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thanks for that detailed reply. Have you lost any more weight?
    Weight and other such vitals are holding steady. Removing the cold fish oils might lower my "pulse pressure" (systolic minus diastolic) over the next 2 or 3 months, as the lipid composition of my vascular cells improves.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Akasha (24th May 2016), Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), toppy (27th May 2016)

7. Link to Post #84
    Thanks

You listed plenty of sources of simple carb's in your blender smoothie recipe (spinach, broccoli, beetroot, kale etc...). Do these undermine the efforts to remain in / achieve ketosis?

Also, the thread has focused on avoiding the second largest killer, namely cancer, but is there not a very real risk that in so doing via animal fats the number one killer is being invited in?
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), ThePythonicCow (25th May 2016), toppy (27th May 2016)

9. Link to Post #85
    Language
    English
    Thanks

You listed plenty of sources of simple carb's in your blender smoothie recipe (spinach, broccoli, beetroot, kale etc...). Do these undermine the efforts to remain in / achieve ketosis?

Also, the thread has focused on avoiding the second largest killer, namely cancer, but is there not a very real risk that in so doing via animal fats the number one killer is being invited in?
    My most recent blood ketone measurement was 1.7 mmol/L, which is well into ketosis. My diet has quite a variety of carbs and fruits (and even some peppermint patties with honey instead of sugar filling), but the significant majority of energy comes from the saturated and mono-unsaturated fats and medium chain triglycerices (MCT), not the sugars or carbs. It's a variety of carbs, but less of a quantity of carbs.

I don't consider saturated animal fats, whether from meat, eggs, or dairy, to be a significant cause of disease, so long as the animals in turn had healthy diets, such as grass on healthy soil without glyphosate or the other "inert" (yeah, right) ingredients on Monstersanto's Round-Up. The choice of whether to eat such foods is more of an ethical question, in my view. Animals fed unhealthy diets, with toxins and damaged or deficient fats, will provide unhealthy meat, milk and eggs.

In my view, saturated fats are not the problem. Rather processed, oxidized, rancid, heated, hydrogenated, and otherwise damaged poly-unsaturated fats are a key to the problem. They replace the healthy omega-6 and omega-3 fats used to construct critical membranes of all cells, impairing the cells ability to transport oxygen across the cell wall, leading to the wide panoply of chronic illnesses.

See for example Saturated fats: do they cause heart disease?. Some of the meta-studies quoted on that page indicate that replacing saturated fats with poly-unsaturated fats provide cardiovascular benefits, but I do not see off-hand whether it was the lowering of saturated fats, or the increasing of (unspecified) poly-unsaturated fats that provided this benefit. That some other studies that replaced saturated fats with increased carbohydrates did not provide cardiovascular benefits is however consistent with my current working hypothesis that the increased poly-unsaturated fats were the critical element to the provided benefits. Such studies are difficult to draw conclusions from, because one has to dig carefully to determine, if it is even possible to do so at all, which poly-unsaturated fats were used in the testing, and whether they were fresh, unheated, undamaged oils, or somehow damaged oils -- there's an essential difference between the two. Other critical co-factors, such as a variety of essential minerals, also need to be controlled for in such experiments, in order to provide a firm basis for any conclusions.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 25th May 2016 at 09:47.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Akasha (25th May 2016), Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), TargeT (30th January 2018), toppy (27th May 2016)

11. Link to Post #86
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    .....In my view, saturated fats are not the problem. Rather processed, oxidized, rancid, heated, hydrogenated, and otherwise damaged poly-unsaturated fats are a key to the problem. They replace the healthy omega-6 and omega-3 fats used to construct critical membranes of all cells, impairing the cells ability to transport oxygen across the cell wall, leading to the wide panoply of chronic illnesses.

See for example Saturated fats: do they cause heart disease?. Some of the meta-studies quoted on that page indicate that replacing saturated fats with poly-unsaturated fats provide cardiovascular benefits, but I do not see off-hand whether it was the lowering of saturated fats, or the increasing of (unspecified) poly-unsaturated fats that provided this benefit. That some other studies that replaced saturated fats with increased carbohydrates did not provide cardiovascular benefits is however consistent with my current working hypothesis that the increased poly-unsaturated fats were the critical element to the provided benefits. Such studies are difficult to draw conclusions from, because one has to dig carefully to determine, if it is even possible to do so at all, which poly-unsaturated fats were used in the testing, and whether they were fresh, unheated, undamaged oils, or somehow damaged oils -- there's an essential difference between the two. Other critical co-factors, such as a variety of essential minerals, also need to be controlled for in such experiments, in order to provide a firm basis for any conclusions.
    I certainly agree with your comments about processed oils as well as your advice to dig carefully.

I dug as deeply as I could through the Saturated fats: do they cause heart disease? article you linked to and it was interesting and revealing.

Several of the trials mentioned in the article were behind pay-walls. However, a handful of (free) sentences did stand out in contrast to the theme of the article:

(from the second referenced trial) …..Saturated fats were not associated with total CHD, but we found a trend for association with CHD mortality…..(!!!)

…..replacement of saturated fats with either MUFA or carbohydrate improved indices of glucose homeostasis…..(the balance of insulin and glucagon to maintain blood glucose)

….and... from the conclusion of the ninth trial: …..Reducing saturated fat by reducing and/or modifying dietary fat reduced the risk of cardiovascular events by 14%…..

Somewhat relevant to this topic, there was an interesting discussion between Dave "Bulletproof" Asprey, Dr. Garth Davies and ultra athlete, Rich Roll recently. here's the full video. Below is a YouTube snippet. Dr. Davies claims that since 2008 there has been a drive by the meat, dairy and egg industry to take control of the data.

This article by Dr. Michael Greger M.D highlights how this kind of misrepresentation can take place although it is by no means the only method.

Any way, I'll leave it there except suffice it to say I don't want you (or anyone else) to have a heart attack!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), ThePythonicCow (6th September 2016), toppy (27th May 2016)

13. Link to Post #87
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

I came onto eating once a day by accident, this guy comes up with some great reasons for it:

Why I eat once a day....
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Baby Steps (6th September 2016), Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), Blacklight43 (6th September 2016), RunningDeer (6th September 2016), ThePythonicCow (6th September 2016)

15. Link to Post #88
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    I came onto eating once a day by accident, this guy comes up with some great reasons for it:

Why I eat once a day....
    This book dovetails nicely with your video. The pdf is locked, so if hi-lighting and/or cut and paste notes helps to retain information, the $9.95 Kindle edition is worth the price. The hard cover new & used is almost $60.

snippets:

“His entire effort in the practice of his profession for the past twenty-four years has been directed toward making everyone his own physician.”

“The writer does not treat disease, in the strictest sense of the word, but seeks only to build health on whatever foundation remains at the time this is undertaken; so he cannot ever say that he cured a single disease in his whole medical practice, nor does he believe that anyone else ever did. He seeks merely to remove from each case the visible obstacles to Nature's unhampered function, and he knows that this is all that the smartest man in the world can do. Nature alone makes the cure, if it is ever made or to be made. “

“This is the lesson that each must learn if he aspires to be his own physician, and once he has learned this lesson well, he then lacks only the will and initiative to put the whole program to the test, which will thoroughly convince him of the truth of the entire proposition. Let no man who is wounded try to do without the surgeon, for this is his legitimate field, nor should one who is deformed try to do the same thing, for this also is surgery's legitimate field, in both of which surgery has shown its worth; but if one has a pain anywhere in his insides let him stay away from the surgeon, if he wishes to die whole, for he may die otherwise in various sections serially.”

“So fasting has its place in treatment of the sick, but do not make the mistake of thinking that either foods or fasting are curative, for only the body's own resources are in any sense the agents of cure. What fasting does is just what right food does, the mere relieving of the system from former handicaps, and while right foods in the right combinations will relieve a former handicap of wrong foods (or wrong foods in wrong combinations, which is the usual thing), yet even right foods in right combinations may be a handicap when the body is not able to handle even these, and desires in no unmistakable voice to be let strictly alone. It is then that the fast is clearly indicated, and this indication should be as faithfully respected as any other indication in disease or in health, and no food of any kind should be offered or taken till the body announces through normal hunger a return of need for nourishment. Then the need for fasting has passed and feeding may be resumed, and it is then that care must be exercised not to create again a toxic state that will make another such cataclysm necessary. Thus fasting and feeding, as resting and exercise, emphasize again the great law of compensation, of give and take, of action and reaction, each having its definite place in the body's scheme of keeping her balance or regaining it when lost.”

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Baby Steps (6th September 2016), Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), seko (7th September 2016), TargeT (6th September 2016), ThePythonicCow (8th September 2016)

17. Link to Post #89
    Thanks

Seems like I just keep finding good stuff about "fasting" and "irregular eating"... This one is (potentially) pretty significant.

Quote Fasting diet 'regenerates diabetic pancreas'

The pancreas can be triggered to regenerate itself through a type of fasting diet, say US researchers.
    Restoring the function of the organ - which helps control blood sugar levels - reversed symptoms of diabetes in animal experiments.
    The study, published in the journal Cell, says the diet reboots the body.
    Experts said the findings were "potentially very exciting" as they could become a new treatment for the disease.
    People are advised not to try this without medical advice.
    In the experiments, mice were put on a modified form of the "fasting-mimicking diet".
    It is like the human form of the diet when people spend five days on a low calorie, low protein, low carbohydrate but high unsaturated-fat diet.
    It resembles a vegan diet with nuts and soups, but with around 800 to 1,100 calories a day.
    Then they have 25 days eating what they want - so overall it mimics periods of feast and famine.
    Previous research has suggested it can slow the pace of ageing.
    Diabetes therapy?

But animal experiments showed the diet regenerated a special type of cell in the pancreas called a beta cell.
    These are the cells that detect sugar in the blood and release the hormone insulin if it gets too high.
    Dr Valter Longo, from the University of Southern California, said: "Our conclusion is that by pushing the mice into an extreme state and then bringing them back - by starving them and then feeding them again - the cells in the pancreas are triggered to use some kind of developmental reprogramming that rebuilds the part of the organ that's no longer functioning."
    There were benefits in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes in the mouse experiments.
    Type 1 is caused by the immune system destroying beta cells and type 2 is largely caused by lifestyle and the body no longer responding to insulin.
    Further tests on tissue samples from people with type 1 diabetes produced similar effects.
    Dr Longo said: "Medically, these findings have the potential to be very important because we've shown - at least in mouse models - that you can use diet to reverse the symptoms of diabetes.
    "Scientifically, the findings are perhaps even more important because we've shown that you can use diet to reprogram cells without having to make any genetic alterations."
    What's it like?

BBC reporter Peter Bowes took part in a separate trial with Dr Valter Longo.
    He said: "During each five-day fasting cycle, when I ate about a quarter of the average person's diet, I lost between 2kg and 4kg (4.4-8.8lbs).
    "But before the next cycle came round, 25 days of eating normally had returned me almost to my original weight.
    "But not all consequences of the diet faded so quickly."
    His blood pressure was lower as was a hormone called IGF-1, which is linked to some cancers.
    He said: "The very small meals I was given during the five-day fast were far from gourmet cooking, but I was glad to have something to eat"
    Separate trials of the diet in people have been shown to improve blood sugar levels. The latest findings help to explain why.
    However, Dr Longo said people should not rush off and crash diet.
    He told the BBC: "It boils down to do not try this at home, this is so much more sophisticated than people realise."
    He said people could "get into trouble" with their health if it was done without medical guidance.
    Dr Emily Burns, research communications manager at Diabetes UK, said: "This is potentially very exciting news, but we need to see if the results hold true in humans before we'll know more about what it means for people with diabetes.
    "People with type-1 and type-2 diabetes would benefit immensely from treatments that can repair or regenerate insulin-producing cells in the pancreas."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39070183
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), Bob (24th February 2017), Ewan (24th February 2017)

19. Link to Post #90
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

I've just come across some interesting info regarding wheat. Dr. Mercola: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...your-diet.aspx

Dr. Perlmutter, who wrote books against eating wheat, has collaborated with Dr. Douillard and now agrees that there are safe ways to eat wheat and that digestion is critical to that end. This is Dr. Douillard's site for purchase of the particular herbs (ayurvedic) that prepare the intestines for proper digestion of wheat.

Amazon sells an organic, pre-genetically engineered, form of wheat that is supposed to be safer to eat. https://www.amazon.com/Jovial-Foods-...=elkhorn+flour

Thanks Paul for reinforcing the idea of consuming lots of quality fats. We've begun to eat loads of red palm, coconut, and high quality olive oil. The taste of fresh, pure olive oil is amazing when compared to most of the crap on grocery shelves. If it doesn't have a peppery finish in taste, then it's old or not real olive oil. That peppery taste is the polyphenols that provide such great benefit. Other very good fats are real butter oil and cod liver oil. There are lots of it for sale, but very, very few are of good quality. Green Pastures Blue Ice may be the best of the lot. These two work synergistically. Read Dr. Weston Price for details.

Dr. Johanna Budwig, a protégé of Dr. Otto Warburg (Nobel Prize winner), is perhaps the final word on fatty acids. Her description of the electrical properties of raw fats in very interesting. There is no electron exchange with processed, dead rancid vegetable oils.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), TargeT (24th February 2017), ThePythonicCow (24th February 2017)

21. Link to Post #91
    Thanks

Still eating once a day... works great!

(I shoot for 16/8)

Where are you?

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Alan (18th August 2017), Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), Jayke (20th August 2017), Karezza (18th August 2017)

23. Link to Post #92
    Language
    Flemish
    Thanks

(I shoot for 16/8)
    How does eating once a day affect you energy levels, if at all
    "The artist takes in the world, but instead of being oppressed by it, reworks it in their own personality and recreates it in the work of art"

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karezza For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), TargeT (18th August 2017)

25. Link to Post #93
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rea/ya (here)

(I shoot for 16/8)
    How does eating once a day affect you energy levels, if at all

Since I eat in the afternoon/evening (I start consuming "other than water" around 2-4pm, and it usualy starts off with some nuts or something to last me until I eat dinner around 7-9 pm then stop by 10) I'm WELL into ketosis by the time I wake up, I've never had "low blood sugar" issues like some people say they do, but I don't feel any lack of energy at all, around 12 I start to notice I'm a bit hungry, but there's never any groggy feelings (my coworkers commonly complain about the "lunch monster" or something how they feel like taking a nap after lunch, I don't experience this even when I do finally eat). My portions are significantly smaller, I "get full" much faster, and it's helped me maintain a weight level that I want while still being able to abuse my liver like a good red blooded american should (Beer and bourbon normally).

Side note on that though. I also have an altered sleep pattern, I generally sleep 4-6 hours a night (from 12-2am until 6:30/7 am) and since I'm forced to take "an hour lunch" at my job I take a nap instead (anything over 20/30 min is too long, but if I can hit REM in that period of time I wake up even sharper and more focused). I can skip this and don't need it, but I work a mental job and I've found this seems to "reset" me very nicely for the last 4 hours of the work day (I often do the "caffeine nap" as well, drink caffeine and lay down for a nap right away, there's some neuroscience behind this).

Though I've found a nap followed by caffeine works just as well for the end result (super charged brain!)

So... uhh, I think I answered your question.

Just remeber, ensure you don't eat sugar, or at least keep it to the fermented kind sugar is poison (that's my mantra).

Yes there's a bit of cognitive dissonance in this life style, but I am human.
    Where are you?

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), Jayke (20th August 2017), Karezza (18th August 2017), ThePythonicCow (19th August 2017)

27. Link to Post #94
    Australia Avalon Member Napping's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Paul,

I’m curious as to how your ketogenic diet has been going and whether (if you had one) you reached your weight loss goal. I’ve slowly adopted a 16/8 largely paleo approach. Whether I go into ketosis or not doesn’t concern me too much, the real goal was to cut out process food as much as possible and reduce alcohol intake. I’m into week 3 of going low carb and am finally starting to feel more energetic. Definitely less food cravings, less brain fog and I’ve lost the pale, tired complexion I used to have.

I was very skeptical about your promotion of the diet as the answer to avoiding/treating cancer, but more research is coming out that has made me pay attention and I’ve had two patients literally reverse their PSA levels with aggressive cancers through fasting/ketogenic diets and the use of cannibas oil. It certainly has more of my attention.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Napping For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), RunningDeer (5th January 2018), TargeT (4th January 2018), ThePythonicCow (4th January 2018)

29. Link to Post #95
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Napping (here)
    Hi Paul,

I’m curious as to how your ketogenic diet has been going and whether (if you had one) you reached your weight loss goal. I’ve slowly adopted a 16/8 largely paleo approach. Whether I go into ketosis or not doesn’t concern me too much, the real goal was to cut out process food as much as possible and reduce alcohol intake. I’m into week 3 of going low carb and am finally starting to feel more energetic. Definitely less food cravings, less brain fog and I’ve lost the pale, tired complexion I used to have.

I was very skeptical about your promotion of the diet as the answer to avoiding/treating cancer, but more research is coming out that has made me pay attention and I’ve had two patients literally reverse their PSA levels with aggressive cancers through fasting/ketogenic diets and the use of cannibas oil. It certainly has more of my attention.
    I had reduced my weight from about 250 to 180 something, on a high fat, modest protein, quite low carb diet. That weight is just about ideal for me. I push a wide variety of nutrients, by both foods and supplements. I drink some quite fine water. I have been refining how I process my water, cleaning out the junk in my typical municipal water, restoring the minerals and re-energizing it. Over half of my entire cash flow goes toward good food, water and supplements.

I say "had reduced", because my son Sam is visiting me for a few months, and he's a good cook. So my consumption of various carbs (pasta, rice, and grains) had gone up, as these are included in his idea of a complete and delicious meal. My weight had gone back up 10 pounds, and some minor, localized, health issues were becoming more evident.

So now I am in the second day of a five day water plus limited fats fast. This still includes supplements, lots of Vitamin C and minerals, but it includes as close to no proteins or carbs as I can comfortably and practically reach. I've been in and out of ketosis frequently over the last year or two, so about the only thing I notice when starting a fast is that I almost stop being hungry ... easy. People on a more standard American diet (SAD) need to pay more attention to how they start training their body to go into ketosis - and for some people I am sure it would not be a good idea at all.

I've just started reading a new book, The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to SlowAging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight, by Valter Longo, which goes into more detail of the advantages of periodic fasting that still includes water, vitamins and minerals, optionally includes some fats and oils, but minimizes as much as practical (for that person's body, health and preferences) both carb and protein intake. To quote the this Amazon page: "specific diets can activate stem cells and promote regeneration and rejuvenation in multiple organs to significantly reduce risk for diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s, and heart disease."

I remain a strong fan of high fat, modest protein (relatively low protein by most American standards), low to quite low carb diet. Fats and oils must be a combination of a limited amount of the lighter Omega 3 and 6 oils, of high quality, and as much of the more saturated fats as you want (except during periodic fasts). The lighter oils are required nutrients, but they are the most easily damaged by typical processing and storage in the "modern" American food chain, not to mention by the deliberate industrial processing intended to extend the shelf life and "mouth feel" of processed food. The quantities and proportions of the lighter oils should be limited.

As more and more of the people that I "hang out with" (mostly on the Web) have to deal with aging parents and siblings, it becomes increasingly clear to me how important it is to keep one's mind strong. One can deal with rather substantial physical infirmities rather easily, so long as they aren't so bad that one can't take care of one's own food intake and "outtake". (Fortunately, for me the only significant permanent infirmities so far are partial deafness and some dental problems.) But life gets much more difficult for one's self and one's caretakers when one loses one's mind, even if the body is in fine fiddle.

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

avid (4th January 2018), Bill Ryan (21st January 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th January 2018), leavesoftrees (5th January 2018), Peace in Oz (2nd October 2023), Rich (5th January 2018), RunningDeer (5th January 2018), StandingWave (22nd January 2018)

31. Link to Post #96
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,524 times in 32,788 posts

More on this fascinating topic, and to bump the thread:
    Burn Fat for Fuel

Story at-a-glance
    • Low-fat, high-carb diets prevent healthy mitochondrial function, thereby contributing to chronic diseases such as obesity, Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, cancer and more.
    • Studies suggest low-carb, high-fat diets — and eating less frequently — may be the answer to the obesity epidemic. The benefits of this type of diet is the primary focus of my book “Fat for Fuel,” and my complementary online course.
    • When your body is able to burn fat for fuel, your liver creates water-soluble fats called ketones that burn far more efficiently than carbs, thus creating far less damaging reactive oxygen species and secondary free radicals.
    • Multiday water fasting activates autophagy, allowing your body to clean itself out, and triggers the regeneration of stem cells. Having as little as 200 or 300 calories a day is enough to abort the autophagy process.
    • Fasting has been shown to trigger the regeneration of the pancreas in both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics — a testament to the regenerative power unleashed in your body when fasting.
    By Dr. Mercola

The notion that your body needs to regularly consume glucose for energy has become a deeply ingrained myth. As a result of this misguided advice, obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer prevalence have all spiked, burgeoning into national if not global epidemics. The truth is, most long term low-fat, high-carb diets prevent healthy mitochondrial function, thereby making a greater contribution to disease than most people are willing to even consider.

Dietary fats are actually the preferred fuel of human metabolism. In 2016, the British National Obesity Forum and the Public Health Collaboration issued a joint report on obesity based on the analysis of 43 studies, warning the policy to encourage people to eat a low-fat diet is having a “disastrous impact on health.” According to the authors, the current guidelines have been manipulated and corrupted for commercial gain by the food and beverage industries, and are based on flawed science.

Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet and Reducing Meal Frequency Can Solve Many Common Ailments

In conclusion, the report suggests a low-carb, high-fat diet — and eating less by cutting out between-meal snacks — may be the answer to the obesity epidemic. The benefits of this type of diet is the primary focus of my most recent book, “Fat for Fuel,” and my complementary online course, which guides you through seven engaging lessons to teach you how your body works at the molecular level, and how different foods affect your body.

Traditional weight loss advice suggests all you need to do is count calories, eat less and exercise more. Somewhat better recommendations specifically recommend cutting down on sugar. However, while many will initially lose weight doing this, it usually doesn’t take long to gain the weight back. Before you know it, you’re caught in a loop of yo-yo dieting. There’s a better way. A great many of the disease epidemics facing us today could be turned around by educating people about the benefits of:
    • A diet high in healthy fats, moderate in protein and low in net carbohydrates (total carbs minus fiber)
    • Intermittent fasting
    • Longer water fasting
    It’s important to realize that calories are not created equal, and this is why counting calories doesn’t work for weight loss and health in the long run. The metabolic effects of calories differ depending on their source — a calorie from a Twinkie is not equivalent to a calorie from an avocado or a nut. That said, excessive snacking is a significant contributing factor to obesity, so, to lose weight and keep it off, you may need to reduce your meal frequency.

The Case for Fasting

I recommend limiting it to two meals per day, either breakfast/lunch or lunch/dinner, within a six- to eight-hour window each day. This meal timing is a form of intermittent fasting, as by eating all your meals within a certain span of time each day, you end up fasting daily as well. Longer water fasts also offer powerful health benefits, although you need to work your way into them.

One strategy I’ve found to be extremely helpful is to gradually increase the time of your daily intermittent fasting until you’re fasting 20 hours a day. After about a month of this, doing a four- or five-day long water fast will not be nearly as difficult, as you’re already used to not eating for extended periods.

I was skeptical about water fasting for a long time, but after learning more about the metabolic benefits of it, the relative safety and testing it out for myself, I’ve become convinced it’s a powerful tool that is vastly underutilized. The clarity of thinking alone, which occurs around Day Three or Four, makes it worth it.

That’s not the only benefit though. Importantly, water fasting activates autophagy, allowing your body to clean itself out, and triggers the regeneration of stem cells. Remarkably, whereas low-calorie dieting will cause morbidly obese people to develop skin folds that must be surgically removed after significant weight loss, this typically does not occur when you lose the weight by water fasting. Your body actually metabolizes the excess skin as you go along, because it’s in such efficient regeneration mode.

Even having as little as 200 or 300 calories a day is enough to abort the autophagy process, though, which is why I started doing complete water fasts. I now do a five-day water fast on a monthly basis, and since I was used to doing 20-hour daily intermittent fasting, I experienced no significant hunger at all. It was really pretty effortless right from the start.

If you’re severely overweight or have Type 2 diabetes, water fasting may be the answer you’ve been looking for. Recent research confirms that fasting can effectively reverse Type 2 diabetes in a relatively short amount of time. In this trial, Type 2 diabetics were placed on a severely restricted calorie diet where they ate just 600 calories a day for eight weeks.

By the end of their fast, all were disease-free and three months later, having returned to their regular diet, seven of the 11 participants were still disease-free. Fasting has also been shown to trigger the regeneration of the pancreas in both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics — a testament to the regenerative power unleashed in your body when fasting.

Burning Fat for Fuel Improves Mitochondrial Function

Eating a diet low in net carbs and high in healthy fats and/or fasting will allow your body to burn fat rather than glucose as its primary fuel. This has the sought-after side effect of improving mitochondrial function, which is foundational for disease prevention and optimal health. The mitochondria within your cells are largely responsible for generating the energy (adenosine triphosphate or ATP) your body needs to stay alive and thrive.

They're also responsible for apoptosis (programmed cell death) and act as signaling molecules that help regulate genetic expression. When your mitochondria are damaged or dysfunctional, not only will your energy reserves decrease, resulting in fatigue and brain fog, but you also become vulnerable to degenerative diseases such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes and neurodegenerative decay.

Why Cycling In and Out of Nutritional Ketosis Is Recommended

The devil’s in the details, though, and an important yet rarely discussed facet of nutritional ketosis — which is when your body burns fat as its primary fuel instead of sugar — is feast-and-famine cycling. The reason for this has to do with the fact that long-term uninterrupted nutritional ketosis can trigger a rise in blood sugar by driving your insulin level too low.

This paradoxical situation can arise because the primary function of insulin is not to drive sugar into the cell, but to suppress the production of glucose by your liver (hepatic gluconeogenesis). If your blood sugar is high due to chronically and excessively low insulin, eating a piece of fruit or other sugar-containing food will actually lower your blood sugar rather than raise it. Your microbiome may also be compromised in the long term, as chronic low-carb diets will not optimally feed your gut flora.

All of this can be avoided by cycling in and out of nutritional ketosis, basically going through a one-day-per-week fast and one or two days a week of feasting, where you eat double or quadruple the amount of net carbs. Your body is designed to have the metabolic flexibility to use both glucose and fat for fuel. The problem is, when you eat a high-carb diet for a long period of time, your body ends up losing its ability to burn fat. The good news is, you can regain it by inverting the carb and fat ratios of your diet.

Fat Is Your Body’s Preferred Fuel

When your body is able to burn fat for fuel, your liver creates water-soluble fats called ketones that burn far more efficiently than carbs, thus creating far less damaging reactive oxygen species and secondary free radicals. This is why being an efficient fat burner is so important for optimal health. Ketones also improve glucose metabolism and lower inflammation.

Recent research suggests a ketogenic (high-fat, low-carb) diet may even be key for reducing brain inflammation following stroke and other brain trauma. Chronic inflammation is a hallmark of most chronic disease, including pain-related conditions such as arthritis. As noted in one study, ketogenic diets appear to be helpful for inflammation-associated pain by:
    • Generating fewer inflammatory reactive oxygen species
    • Lowering the excitability of neurons involved in pain signaling
    • Boosting signaling of the neuromodulator adenosine, which has pain-relieving effects
    How to Implement a Ketogenic Diet

To implement a ketogenic diet, the first step is to eliminate packaged, processed foods. The emphasis is on real whole foods, plenty of healthy fats and, initially, as few net (nonfiber) carbs as possible. This typically involves dramatically reducing or temporarily eliminating all grains and any food high in sugar, particularly fructose, but also galactose (found in milk) and other sugars — both added and naturally-occurring.

As a general rule, you’ll want to reduce your net carbs to 20 to 50 grams a day or less, and restrict protein to 1 gram per kilogram of lean body mass. To make sure you’re actually meeting your nutritional requirements and maintaining the ideal nutrient ratios, use an online nutrient tracker such as www.cronometer.com/mercola, which is one of the most accurate nutrient trackers available.

It’s also preset for nutritional ketosis, so based on the base parameters you enter, it will automatically calculate the ideal ratios of net carbs, protein and healthy fats required to put you into nutritional ketosis. This is what will allow your body to start burning fat as its primary fuel rather than sugar, which in turn will help optimize your mitochondrial function and overall health and fitness.

Beneficial Fats to Eat More Of

Another key to success is to eat high-quality healthy fats, NOT the fats most commonly found in the American diet (the processed fats and vegetable oils used in processed foods and fried restaurant meals). Just about any fat found naturally in food — whether animal- or plant-based — is in fact healthy for you. For example, saturated fat found in animal products and coconut oil:
    • Increases your large fluffy LDL particles, which are not associated with an increased risk of heart disease
    • Increases your HDL levels, which is associated with lower heart disease risk. This also compensates for any increase in LDL
    • Does not cause heart disease, as made clear in a large number of studies
    • Serves as a “clean-burning fuel” for your brain and mitochondria, producing far less damaging free radicals than sugars and nonfiber carbs
    Examples of healthy fats to eat more of include:
    • Olives and olive oil (look for third party certification, as 80 percent of olive oils are adulterated with vegetable oils
    • Avoid cooking with olive oil; use it cold)
    • Butter made from raw grass fed organic milk
    • Avocados
    • Ghee (clarified butter); lard and tallow (excellent for cooking)
    • Coconut oil (excellent for cooking as it can withstand higher temperatures without oxidizing)
    • Raw nuts such as macadamia and pecans
    • Grass fed meats
    • Raw cacao butter
    • Animal-based omega-3 fat from fatty fish low in mercury like wild caught Alaskan salmon, sardines, anchovies and/or krill oil
    • Seeds like black sesame, cumin, pumpkin and hemp seeds
    • MCT oil
    • Organic, pastured egg.
    Harmful Fats to Avoid

The harmful fats you need to steer clear of are all man-made. This includes trans fats, which are pro-oxidant, and all highly refined polyunsaturated vegetable oils, which are high in damaged omega-6 and produce toxic oxidation products like cyclic aldehydes when heated. Vegetable oils promote oxidized cholesterol, which becomes destructive when entering your LDL particles.

Also, when consumed in large amounts, omega-6 polyunsaturated fats — and especially industrially processed ones — cannot be effectively burned for fuel. Instead, they’re incorporated into cellular and mitochondrial membranes where they become susceptible to oxidative damage, which ultimately damages your metabolism. These harmful fats have been shown to:
    • Contribute to heart disease
    • Promote gut inflammation
    • Disrupt arterial blood flow through your brain
    • Deplete your brain of antioxidants
    • Attack the cellular architecture of your nerves and impair brain development through mutagenic effects on DNA and altered epigenetic expression
    Boost Your Health With Self-Paced Online Course

Current health statistics tell a discouraging story of repeated failure: Two-thirds of the American population is overweight or obese, 1 in 5 deaths are obesity-related, half have prediabetes, diabetes or other chronic illness, and 1 in 3 women and half of all men will develop some form of cancer in their lifetime. There’s an answer to all of these health trends, and it all starts with your diet.

If you or a loved one has been struggling with low energy, excess weight or a chronic or degenerative disease like Type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s or cancer — or if you simply want to optimize your health and longevity — consider enrolling in my online course on mitochondrial metabolic therapy (MMT).

MMT is a whole new way of looking at nutrition, merging decades of my own research with the latest science on mitochondrial health, all of which have been peer-reviewed by more than two dozen experts, including physicians, researchers and scientists.

The MMT diet is a cyclical ketogenic diet, high in healthy fats and fiber, low in net carbs with a moderate amount of protein. Worksheets, additional reading, meal planning resources and recipes are all included. You’ll also learn a number of other nondiet related ways to boost your mitochondrial health, such as sensible sun exposure, exercise and grounding.

In short, this program will teach you everything you need to know to safely and effectively improve your mitochondrial function, thereby regaining your health and boosting your longevity.

If you’ve thought about making changes but lacked the confidence to take the plunge, or have made half-hearted attempts that quickly petered out, this course can set you on the right track, guiding you through the changes to your diet and lifestyle one step at a time, from any computer, tablet or smartphone. And, while a new lesson is released each week, you can go through the lessons at your own pace.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 22nd January 2018 at 00:10.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

TargeT (30th January 2018)

33. Link to Post #97
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I started a ketogenic diet August 2017 (5 months ago) and it completely fixed my triglycerides and fasting blood sugar. A few weeks ago I was reading some info from people who recommend Zero Carbs--essentially an all animal-based diet and it piqued my interest. I am currently trying that and my intestinal tract is LOVING it. Do humans really need to consume fiber?? I don't think so anymore and I cringe when I think how I spent the last 25 years making green shakes every day! Anyway, my diet now is mostly limited to steak, eggs, butter, and heavy cream. I regularly make ice cream from heavy cream, raw eggs, and swerve (a zero carb sweetener) and chocolate. We'll see if it kills me but somehow I think I'll be fine.

I was reading in another thread about how red meat lowers your "vibration". I guess I'll just have to take that chance...I was a vegan for most of 2009 and suffered greatly even though "The China Study" (a book about veganism) was my bible. The biggest issue I had during that year was repeated bouts of eczema. I'd never had that condition before and it disappeared when I added meat and eggs back into my diet.

I wish I could be vegan. All I can do now is say a silent prayer of gratitude before meals.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marielle For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd January 2018), Bubu (1st March 2019), Rich (22nd January 2018), StandingWave (22nd January 2018), TargeT (30th January 2018)

35. Link to Post #98
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,524 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by marielle (here)
    I started a ketogenic diet August 2017 (5 months ago) and it completely fixed my triglycerides and fasting blood sugar. A few weeks ago I was reading some info from people who recommend Zero Carbs--essentially an all animal-based diet and it piqued my interest. I am currently trying that and my intestinal tract is LOVING it. Do humans really need to consume fiber?? I don't think so anymore and I cringe when I think how I spent the last 25 years making green shakes every day! Anyway, my diet now is mostly limited to steak, eggs, butter, and heavy cream. I regularly make ice cream from heavy cream, raw eggs, and swerve (a zero carb sweetener) and chocolate. We'll see if it kills me but somehow I think I'll be fine.

I was reading in another thread about how red meat lowers your "vibration". I guess I'll just have to take that chance...I was a vegan for most of 2009 and suffered greatly even though "The China Study" (a book about veganism) was my bible. The biggest issue I had during that year was repeated bouts of eczema. I'd never had that condition before and it disappeared when I added meat and eggs back into my diet.

I wish I could be vegan. All I can do now is say a silent prayer of gratitude before meals.
    Wonderful. Here's a MUST READ book (from 1976):
    (Alas, I've so far failed to find a digital version.)

Dr Mackarness was a psychiatrist who discovered that a large percentage of patients who'd been institutionalized for psychiatrically diagnosed conditions such as schizophrenia reverted to being TOTALLY NORMAL — once it was discovered what common foods they were severely allergic to.

Everyone should now read that paragraph again.

In the book, he also reports how he changed his diet to one EXACTLY as marielle describes above... and all his ailments disappeared. This was years ahead of almost anyone else recommending the same kind of 'caveman' regime.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 22nd January 2018 at 04:06.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (22nd January 2018), marielle (22nd January 2018), Rich (22nd January 2018), StandingWave (22nd January 2018), TargeT (30th January 2018)

37. Link to Post #99
    United States Avalon Member anandacate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 times in 131 posts

I have been following Dr. Mercola's Metabolic Mitochondrial Therapy (MMT), which includes intermittent fasting, since last summer (June 2017). Am really enjoying the results so far; mainly changing my body composition from fat (lost 24 pounds) to muscle (still working on more muscles, but they are starting to show!), clarity of mind, more strength, more energy, and more stamina. Because I am well over 60, it took awhile for my system to convert from glucose to ketone burning. (BTW, I have been a raw fooder since 2003; however, not necessary for MMT.) The only testing I have done is test my urine with ketone strips.

I have the book "Fat for Fuel," which is useful if you really want to do this. Dr. Mercola emphasizes the necessity, over the long term, to cycle in and out of ketosis once you convert to burning ketones. He also emphasizes to keep protein intake at an adequate level, not excessive.

The first link gives an overview on the basics of Mercola's MMT program with a video interview of Dr. Mercola from May 21, 2017. Near the end of the article there is a section called "Getting Started" that has a link for the CRON-o-Meter, a free tool that I think is essential if you decide to do this.

1. Basic Introduction to Metabolic Mitochondrial Therapy

The second link is from a woman who helped validate what I was going through during the "metabolic shift," which is a name for the process one goes through when switching from burning carbs (glucose) to burning fat (ketones). Also, I appreciated a woman's point of view about the ketogenic diet. Don't know if I will ever get my body to look like hers, though! (BTW, I will be 70 years old in less than a month.)

2. My Experience with Ketogenic Diet

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to anandacate For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th January 2018), Bubu (1st March 2019), Foxie Loxie (30th January 2018), marielle (30th January 2018), Peace in Oz (2nd October 2023), TargeT (30th January 2018), ThePythonicCow (30th January 2018)

39. Link to Post #100
    Thanks

an all animal-based diet and it piqued my interest. I am currently trying that and my intestinal tract is LOVING it.
    It could be what your current set of intestinal flora/fauna work best with. I noticed a DRAMATIC difference in my bowel functions after spending time in Iraq (eating local food etc..) it was very impactful to my overall health (and I was 24 at the time) and the change has been consistent ever since.

My theory is that I picked up a whole new set of "gut bugs", stronger... better,,, I can eat anything now; haha... anyway there's a pretty good thread here on "gut health" it's worth looking into along side your dietary studies.

There's a lot of weird emotional manipulation and cult-ish behavior floating around veganism. Postulations on how consuming different forms of life effects your "vibration" always seemed a bit ridiculous to me, denial of your darkside is probably more unhealthy.
    Where are you?

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (30th January 2018), marielle (30th January 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 5 6 LastLast