+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When Education Produces Illiteracy...

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Default Re: When Education Produces Illiteracy...

That is one of the nicest essay's, and the truest, I have ever read.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th July 2018), Hervé (25th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), RunningDeer (26th July 2018), Sierra (25th July 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member Smell the Roses's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 times in 285 posts

It is telling that in the original article, two of the main examples used for scientific literacy are the mainstream view on evolution and the mainstream view on climate change. When I first started teaching Biology in secondary school, teachers were still somewhat free to design their own curriculum. I have always found that the most effective way to teach a natural science is to start with the observable, work your way down to the microscopic, then to the unobservable, then to generalities or abstract concepts.

The large concepts such as evolution and climate change are very specialized and difficult to teach properly to beginning students. Therefore, these topics are often taught in the American high school more in the mode of a religion than a science. The tenets of evolution or of climate change, as an individual teacher views it, are hammered into the student and dissent is quashed. The presence or absence of these topics in the curriculum is not a litmus test for good science education. In that regard, the article itself seems politically motivated, although some of its ideas are valid. If you make a child believe that as a beginning science student, they are in any way qualified to make a generalized pronouncement about politically controversial, specialized scientific topics, then you have done that child a disservice.
    Last edited by Smell the Roses; 25th July 2018 at 14:17. Reason: Correct voice recognition technology
    There's no time like the present.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th July 2018), Hervé (25th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), Noelle (25th July 2018), RunningDeer (26th July 2018), Sierra (25th July 2018), Valerie Villars (25th July 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks

I had a step daughter who was adopted from Poland. I really believed she had Asberger's syndrome but tried to no avail to get help for her as her father didn't want to and after all she was his daughter.

She really couldn't read and could not understand abstract concepts. She didn't know how to play games. She could only imitate what others were doing but I could see she was confused because she knew she was missing something.

I don't know how she made it through school because I bowed out after I was rebuffed. I could see ignoring the issue was going to do her more harm than good.

One day her father asked me to help her make her science project. After trying to work with her a while, I could see what he really meant was for me to do it for her. I went back to him and asked him if this was indeed what he meant. "Are you asking me to do the project for her?" He replied "Yes".

Well, I refused based on the grounds that it would do her a severe disservice because at some point in her life there wasn't going to be someone there to "help" her along. She was going to hit a wall and I refused to be one of those who lied to her. The whole situation was sad.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th July 2018), Hervé (25th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), RunningDeer (26th July 2018)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Sierra passed in April 2021.
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,462 times in 5,424 posts

Hervé, I consider this (When Education Produces Illiteracy... )
    the most important thread on Avalon. It has been my personal bête noir for decades, that the source of destruction of what was formerly a magnificent, and relatively free educational system supported by our taxes baffled me. It explains the triumph of Trump, the rampant online bullying, the braying hatred and violence of the populace, the pride in ignorance and stupidity of most Americans, and how we ended up with Betsy De Vos, per Charlotte Iserbyt.

From post #1: This paragraph could have been written about Trump among others:
    Quote Angry dummies who feel they have the right, the authority and the need not only to comment on everything, but to make sure their voice is heard above the rest, and to drag down any opposing views through personal attacks, loud repetition and confrontation.
    From post 4: Apparently Project Avaloners are a rare and dying breed...
    Quote When it comes to basic technological skills like using email, buying and returning items online, using a drop-down menu, naming a file on a computer or sending a text message — Americans rank dead last.

From post 10: The most terrifying statement for any parent to read:
    Quote Yes, there really is a manual which teaches educators how to monitor and interdict parents who wish to have a say in how their children are educated, and according to Iserbyt, it is quite revolting, and very effective.
    It is going to require a spiritual upheaval of massive proportions to overcome this level of conditioning.

The destruction of our educational system makes bloody perfect, and terrifying sense. Historically, slaves have always been kept illiterate. Just because one is a consumer does not mean one is not a slave.

Kudos Hervé, brilliant thread.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sierra For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (26th July 2018), Hervé (25th July 2018), Michelle Marie (26th July 2018), RunningDeer (25th July 2018), Valerie Villars (25th July 2018)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,302 times in 18,139 posts

Two pdf links (just in case): The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America - link 1 & link 2

Charlotte Iserbyt - Deliberate Dumbing Down of the World
    Charlotte Iserbyt served as Senior Policy Advisor in the Office of Educational Research and Improvement (OERI), U.S. Department of Education, during the first Reagan Administration, where she first blew the whistle on a major technology initiative which would control curriculum in America's classrooms.
    safvio
    Published on Oct 14, 2006

Charlotte Iserbyt served as Senior Policy Advisor in the Office of Educational Research and Improvement (OERI), U.S. Department of Education, during the first Reagan Administration, where she first blew the whistle on a major technology initiative which would control curriculum in America's classrooms.

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com
    The ABCs of DumbDown blogspot
    http://www.americandeception.com
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 26th July 2018 at 00:24.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (26th July 2018), Hervé (26th July 2018), Michelle Marie (26th July 2018), Sierra (26th July 2018)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

The importance of libraries cannot be overstated. Whether they are public or private, I have a feeling they will be the leftover vestiges of real knowledge and sharing.

As Walt Whitman said, "I find letters from God dropt in the street, and every one is sign'd by God's name, And I leave them where they are, for I know that wheresoe'er I go, Others will punctually come for ever and ever."

Dictionaries, especially older ones, are really important to keep and preserve, as they are slowly changing words, roots, meanings.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (26th July 2018), Hervé (26th July 2018), Michelle Marie (26th July 2018), Sierra (26th July 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2