Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Julian Assange turns himself in

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 times in 272 posts

Default Julian Assange turns himself in

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/12/06...ex.html?hpt=T2

Assange making arrangements to meet police, lawyer says

London (CNN) -- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is "in the process of making arrangements" to meet with British police regarding a Swedish arrest warrant, his attorney said Monday.

Assange is wanted for questioning by Swedish authorities over sex-crime allegations unrelated to WikiLeaks' recent disclosure of secret U.S. documents. Mark Stephens, his British lawyer, told the BBC no time had been set for the meeting as of Monday evening, but one is likely "in the foreseeable future."

"We are in the process of making arrangements to meet with the police by consent in order to facilitate the taking of that question-and-answer as needed," Stephens said.

Assange, a 39-year-old Australian, has said he has long feared retribution for his website's disclosures and has called the rape allegations against him a smear campaign.

Sweden issued an arrest warrant for Assange in November, saying he is suspected of rape, sexual molestation and illegal use of force. The warrant was followed last week by a "Red Notice" from Interpol, placing Assange on a list of wanted suspects at the request of Sweden's Stockholm Criminal Court.

British police then asked Swedish authorities for additional details not specified in the initial arrest warrant, a possible indication that the location of the elusive Assange is known. CNN has not confirmed that Assange is in the United Kingdom.

Swedish prosecutors said Monday that they had sent additional information the British requested and that the case was being handled in accordance with European laws.

WikiLeaks, which facilitates the anonymous leaking of secret information, has been under intense pressure from the United States and its allies since it began posting the first of more than 250,000 U.S. State Department documents November 28. Since then, the site has been hit with denial-of-service attacks, been kicked off servers in the United States and France and found itself cut off from funds in the United States and Switzerland.

The site has rallied supporters to mirror its content "in order to make it impossible to ever fully remove WikiLeaks from the internet," with more than 500 sites responding to the appeal by Monday evening, it said.

In Washington, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said he has authorized "significant" actions related to a criminal investigation of WikiLeaks.

"National security of the United States has been put at risk," Holder said. "The lives of people who work for the American people have been put at risk. The American people themselves have been put at risk by these actions that I believe are arrogant, misguided and ultimately not helpful in any way. We are doing everything that we can."

Holder declined to answer questions about the possibility that the U.S. government could shut down WikiLeaks, saying he does not want to talk about capabilities and techniques at the government's disposal. Nor would he say whether the actions involved search warrants, requests under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which authorizes wiretaps or other means, describing them only as "significant."

"I authorized just last week a number of things to be done so that we can, hopefully, get to the bottom of this and hold people accountable as they should be," he said.

He did, however, note the government is not limited by the Espionage Act of 1917, which prohibits interference with military operations.

"That is not the only tool we have to use in the investigation of this matter," he said. "People would be misimpressioned if they think the only thing we are looking at is the Espionage Act."

In Switzerland, meanwhile, WikiLeaks said in a press release that the bank Swiss PostFinance decided to end "its business relationship" with Assange based on a "technicality." The bank said Assange listed Geneva as his home and "upon inspection, this information was found to be incorrect."

"Assange cannot provide proof of residence in Switzerland and thus does not meet the criteria for a customer relationship with PostFinance," the bank said.

WikiLeaks' statement said Assange used his lawyer's address in Geneva for bank correspondence. The account closure -- coupled with the decision by U.S.-based website PayPal to cut off online donations to WikiLeaks last week -- has resulted in losses of 100,000 euros (U.S. $133,000) in assets, WikiLeaks said.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fifi For This Post:

Ahkenaten (7th December 2010), astrid (7th December 2010), HURRITT ENYETO (7th December 2010), John Parslow (7th December 2010), shadowstalker (7th December 2010), sunflower (7th December 2010), truthseekerdan (7th December 2010)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Julian Assange turns himself in

Talking with the police =/= turning himself in.

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

A letter to the Australian Prime Minister re Julian Assange has been posted on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's website:

Quote We wrote the letter below because we believe that Julian Assange is entitled to all the protections enshrined in the rule of law – and that the Australian Government has an obligation to ensure he receives them.
    The signatures here have been collected in the course of a day-and-a-half, primarily from people in publishing, law and politics. The signatories hold divergent views about WikiLeaks and its operations. But they are united in a determination to see Mr Assange treated fairly.

We know that many others would have liked to sign. But given the urgency of the situation, we though it expedient to publish now rather than collect more names.

If, however, you agree with the sentiments expressed, we encourage you to leave your name in the comments section.
    So far, 1571 comments have been left, most of them supportive of the letter & wishing to add their names to it.

see letter at http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/41914.html

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bea For This Post:

Ahkenaten (7th December 2010), Anchor (7th December 2010), shadowstalker (7th December 2010), sunflower (7th December 2010)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,486 times in 420 posts

A swedish newspaper has confirmed Assanges "arrest"
    http://www.svd.se/nyheter/utrikes/as...en_5788621.svd

Its in swedish so you wouldnt understand it, but it only says there will be more info and that he is under arrest.

As funny as it seems the swedish newspapers were first on the internet in this matter, here´s a bbc link:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11937110
    Last edited by Metaphor; 7th December 2010 at 10:35.

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,559 times in 1,013 posts

Julian Assange has apparently just been arrested

Here's another link:

http://www.news.com.au/world/assange...-1225967232654

8. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

I was thinking how it is of interest to take note of the companies who have severed their ties with JA over the past week or so.

I've never liked using paypal, avoid it where I possibly can
    In my own small way I will boycott amazon ..darn! bought a book there last week...but will search for alternative next time

9. Link to Post #7
    Ilie Pandia

Quote Posted by ponda (here)
    Julian Assange has apparently just been arrested
    So now we should expect the "dead man switch" to activate, right? Meaning that today may be a very important date in the disclosure time line .

10. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,559 times in 1,013 posts

Quote Posted by undeadpixel (here)
    So now we should expect the "dead man switch" to activate, right? Meaning that today may be a very important date in the disclosure time line .

Well maybe....

It'll probably depend on what the lawyers can glean and work out with whoever they are dealing with.

This scenario would i imagine have been long prepared for so wiki might send out "the key" but they also might hold back a bit longer.

From what i've heard tonight on the news it seems that Assange might be able to stall off a trip to Sweden for a few months with an appeal but he will probably be stuck in prison.

In my opinion what we have here is "the system" or the establishment attempting to block transparency of itself and to dissuade any other potential leakers from putting their information forward.I think it will have the opposite effect.
    Last edited by ponda; 7th December 2010 at 12:14.

11. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,486 times in 420 posts

He will probably be released after hearing, his crime is, as it seems, almost on the level of speeding or something. Check this out:
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/a...user-cia-ties/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphor For This Post:

Corncrake (7th December 2010)

13. Link to Post #10
    I came from Europe, lived long in Africa then Australia, now Switzerland
    Thanks

This is not the first time that a person who exposes too much is set up. or just simply disapears... eg. has a car accident or an overdose... sure you can use your imagination...

14. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,422 times in 3,394 posts

They dont mess around these website cowboys... new site up for this cause....

http://www.justiceforassange.com/

No surprise , same bank account numbers as on the WIki site
    Last edited by astrid; 7th December 2010 at 13:22.
    The greatest privilege of a human life is to become a
    midwife to the awakening of the Soul in another person.”
    ~ Plato

15. Link to Post #12
    France Avalon Member Elandiel BernElve's Avatar
    Thanks

Minute to minute live update on Assange situation

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/...s-live-updates
    Capitaine Elandiel BernElve
    Lightwarrior

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Elandiel BernElve For This Post:

fifi (7th December 2010)

17. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Don't shoot messenger for revealing uncomfortable truths
    Julian Assange From: The Australian December 08, 2010 12:00AM
    WIKILEAKS deserves protection, not threats and attacks.

IN 1958 a young Rupert Murdoch, then owner and editor of Adelaide's The News, wrote: "In the race between secrecy and truth, it seems inevitable that truth will always win."

His observation perhaps reflected his father Keith Murdoch's expose that Australian troops were being needlessly sacrificed by incompetent British commanders on the shores of Gallipoli. The British tried to shut him up but Keith Murdoch would not be silenced and his efforts led to the termination of the disastrous Gallipoli campaign.

Nearly a century later, WikiLeaks is also fearlessly publishing facts that need to be made public.

I grew up in a Queensland country town where people spoke their minds bluntly. They distrusted big government as something that could be corrupted if not watched carefully. The dark days of corruption in the Queensland government before the Fitzgerald inquiry are testimony to what happens when the politicians gag the media from reporting the truth.

These things have stayed with me. WikiLeaks was created around these core values. The idea, conceived in Australia, was to use internet technologies in new ways to report the truth.

WikiLeaks coined a new type of journalism: scientific journalism. We work with other media outlets to bring people the news, but also to prove it is true. Scientific journalism allows you to read a news story, then to click online to see the original document it is based on. That way you can judge for yourself: Is the story true? Did the journalist report it accurately?

Democratic societies need a strong media and WikiLeaks is part of that media. The media helps keep government honest. WikiLeaks has revealed some hard truths about the Iraq and Afghan wars, and broken stories about corporate corruption.

People have said I am anti-war: for the record, I am not. Sometimes nations need to go to war, and there are just wars. But there is nothing more wrong than a government lying to its people about those wars, then asking these same citizens to put their lives and their taxes on the line for those lies. If a war is justified, then tell the truth and the people will decide whether to support it.

If you have read any of the Afghan or Iraq war logs, any of the US embassy cables or any of the stories about the things WikiLeaks has reported, consider how important it is for all media to be able to report these things freely.

WikiLeaks is not the only publisher of the US embassy cables. Other media outlets, including Britain's The Guardian, The New York Times, El Pais in Spain and Der Spiegel in Germany have published the same redacted cables.

Yet it is WikiLeaks, as the co-ordinator of these other groups, that has copped the most vicious attacks and accusations from the US government and its acolytes. I have been accused of treason, even though I am an Australian, not a US, citizen. There have been dozens of serious calls in the US for me to be "taken out" by US special forces. Sarah Palin says I should be "hunted down like Osama bin Laden", a Republican bill sits before the US Senate seeking to have me declared a "transnational threat" and disposed of accordingly. An adviser to the Canadian Prime Minister's office has called on national television for me to be assassinated. An American blogger has called for my 20-year-old son, here in Australia, to be kidnapped and harmed for no other reason than to get at me.

And Australians should observe with no pride the disgraceful pandering to these sentiments by Julia Gillard and her government. The powers of the Australian government appear to be fully at the disposal of the US as to whether to cancel my Australian passport, or to spy on or harass WikiLeaks supporters. The Australian Attorney-General is doing everything he can to help a US investigation clearly directed at framing Australian citizens and shipping them to the US.

Prime Minister Gillard and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have not had a word of criticism for the other media organisations. That is because The Guardian, The New York Times and Der Spiegel are old and large, while WikiLeaks is as yet young and small.

We are the underdogs. The Gillard government is trying to shoot the messenger because it doesn't want the truth revealed, including information about its own diplomatic and political dealings.

Has there been any response from the Australian government to the numerous public threats of violence against me and other WikiLeaks personnel? One might have thought an Australian prime minister would be defending her citizens against such things, but there have only been wholly unsubstantiated claims of illegality. The Prime Minister and especially the Attorney-General are meant to carry out their duties with dignity and above the fray. Rest assured, these two mean to save their own skins. They will not.

Every time WikiLeaks publishes the truth about abuses committed by US agencies, Australian politicians chant a provably false chorus with the State Department: "You'll risk lives! National security! You'll endanger troops!" Then they say there is nothing of importance in what WikiLeaks publishes. It can't be both. Which is it?

It is neither. WikiLeaks has a four-year publishing history. During that time we have changed whole governments, but not a single person, as far as anyone is aware, has been harmed. But the US, with Australian government connivance, has killed thousands in the past few months alone.

US Secretary of Defence Robert Gates admitted in a letter to the US congress that no sensitive intelligence sources or methods had been compromised by the Afghan war logs disclosure. The Pentagon stated there was no evidence the WikiLeaks reports had led to anyone being harmed in Afghanistan. NATO in Kabul told CNN it couldn't find a single person who needed protecting. The Australian Department of Defence said the same. No Australian troops or sources have been hurt by anything we have published.

But our publications have been far from unimportant. The US diplomatic cables reveal some startling facts:

► The US asked its diplomats to steal personal human material and information from UN officials and human rights groups, including DNA, fingerprints, iris scans, credit card numbers, internet passwords and ID photos, in violation of international treaties. Presumably Australian UN diplomats may be targeted, too.

► King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia asked the US to attack Iran.

► Officials in Jordan and Bahrain want Iran's nuclear program stopped by any means available.

► Britain's Iraq inquiry was fixed to protect "US interests".

► Sweden is a covert member of NATO and US intelligence sharing is kept from parliament.

► The US is playing hardball to get other countries to take freed detainees from Guantanamo Bay. Barack Obama agreed to meet the Slovenian President only if Slovenia took a prisoner. Our Pacific neighbour Kiribati was offered millions of dollars to accept detainees.

In its landmark ruling in the Pentagon Papers case, the US Supreme Court said "only a free and unrestrained press can effectively expose deception in government". The swirling storm around WikiLeaks today reinforces the need to defend the right of all media to reveal the truth.

Julian Assange is the editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks.

Source: The Australien
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-d...-1225967241332

I have not yet formed an opinion on the whole Wikileaks event. I have posted this to provide as much information as possible.
    Until further notice I'll remain neutral in this matter. To me it's unclear whether it's a set up or a genuine attempt at transparancy.

Love & Peace
    Lightwarrior

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elandiel BernElve For This Post:

Ahkenaten (7th December 2010), Corncrake (7th December 2010), fifi (7th December 2010), Victoria Tintagel (7th December 2010)

19. Link to Post #14
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 times in 838 posts

Julian assange has been remanded in custody until a further hearing on the 14th of December....

20. Link to Post #15
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 times in 838 posts

Here's the associated article with all the details...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...pe-allegations

21. Link to Post #16
    Canada Unsubscribed
    Chatting with Horatio, on a bridge between Hope and Hemlock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 times in 445 posts

Good morning Avalonians, the Earth says hello!

I just PM'd a fellow Avalonian with the following, but I think it needs to be heard by everyone.

I fully expected this. I've been arguing along that JA is an agent sent down by TMastardsTB ... sent into the unwashed, brainwashed, cleanwashed masses as a Pied Piper of Hamlin operative ... to then funnel these masses onto the riverbanks of the Distracting Stream. What better way to give him credibility with the unwashed, brainwashed, cleanwashed mindsets than by attacking him via mainstream media? The rape charges are obviously trumped up and are being drummed out for a reason. I figured that out within the first few days of the Wikileaks caterwauls.

Simple template, really. Send one of your own into the acrimonious crowds; attack your field agent to garner support for him from the crowds; give yourself yet another tool by which to control the crowds. In the case of Wikileaks, the bonus effect is distraction, confusion, information overload ... i.e. chaos. From chaos to order. The NWO is indeed implementing on schedule.

ps: It's a sad week for freedom, critical thinking, awareness ... and above all, truth. IMHO.

ps2: His contrived arrest is nothing more than the agent provocateur heading back into the police blanket to be whisked away to the local barracks (e.g. to crack open a barrel of clapping monkeys). He probably has extra pay coming to him for a job well done.

ps3: Humble opinions all around.
    Last edited by Zook; 7th December 2010 at 15:49.

22. Link to Post #17
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

maybe in the hope that some whistleblower gives him some elusive intelligence they themselves have been unable to get thier hands on directly

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

Zook (7th December 2010)

24. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Zookumar

Sharp as always
    Lightwarrior

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Elandiel BernElve For This Post:

Zook (7th December 2010)

26. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member Heartsong's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 times in 498 posts

With him in jail, he's less likely to be killed. If he is killed while in jail, it will be highly suspect. He is expected to fight extradition which I'm told could take months. Meanwhile he gets three meals and a bed and the rest of the Wikileaks crew carries on. This way the story is perpetuated as well as the leaks. I think we're at the beginning, not at the end.

27. Link to Post #20
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Quote Posted by zookumar (here)
    Good morning Avalonians, the Earth says hello!

I just PM'd a fellow Avalonian with the following, but I think it needs to be heard by everyone.

I fully expected this. I've been arguing along that JA is an agent sent down by TMastardsTB ... sent into the unwashed, brainwashed, cleanwashed masses as a Pied Piper of Hamlin operative ... to then funnel these masses onto the riverbanks of the Distracting Stream. What better way to give him credibility with the unwashed, brainwashed, cleanwashed mindsets than by attacking him via mainstream media? The rape charges are obviously trumped up and are being drummed out for a reason. I figured that out within the first few days of the Wikileaks caterwauls.

Simple template, really. Send one of your own into the acrimonious crowds; attack your field agent to garner support for him from the crowds; give yourself yet another tool by which to control the crowds. In the case of Wikileaks, the bonus effect is distraction, confusion, information overload ... i.e. chaos. From chaos to order. The NWO is indeed implementing on schedule.

ps: It's a sad week for freedom, critical thinking, awareness ... and above all, truth. IMHO.

ps2: His contrived arrest is nothing more than the agent provocateur heading back into the police blanket to be whisked away to the local barracks (e.g. to crack open a barrel of clapping monkeys). He probably has extra pay coming to him for a job well done.

ps3: Humble opinions all around.
    Hi Zook,

This time I respectfully disagree with your view on Assange.

I find it a little hard to believe that a Home Schooled kid brought up in Byron Bay Qld Australia whose parents taught him to never trust Authority or Govt. would be a PTB/CIA Asset. (Byron Bay is a very Laid back Town full of Anti-Govt. Free Thinkers and that is one of the main reasons people want to live there).

Every man and his dog has their own view on Assange, even Webster Griffin Tarpley thinks he has connections to the CIA, but for me I'm not buying it for one second.

Maybe I am wrong, but we shall have to wait and see? I have followed this story for some time and have been studying the body language and reactions of the likes of Australian PM Julia Gillard and Attorney General Robert McClelland especially the Australian Traitor Kevin Rudd! All have been suprised by the developments and are generally concerned/worried of what Dirt is still to come. If anyone in Australian knew if Assange was a CIA Asset it would be UN Globalist Kevin Rudd and he's ****#ing himself because he knows he's got alot of explaining to do when Wikileaks publishes the Bulk of the Dirt on Australia at the end of next month! It could very well bring down the Govt!

What's more is the Fact, in Australia at least the leaks have finally started to Wake Up the Sheeple to the Lies & Deciept of what their Govt. is engaged in. Go onto any Wikileaks/Assange article in an Australian Newspaper and see the comments for yourself.

One thing Australians hate most are Liers! Especially when they have been caught Red Handed!

The Truth is starting to surface and Wikileaks has done a Hell of alot more Good than Harm and seems to have united the Left & Right paridigms that have been at loggerheards with one another over their political views and is starting to bring them together against the Fabian Socialist Labor Govt. and any Lying politician who has been caught out. (To me that's another Good thing).

Regardless of what ultimately transpires the Truth is getting out there and more and more people are asking questions about the Lies & Deciept of the PTB. I personally think you are giving the TMastardsTB way too much credit Zook, they can't win all the time.

I understand your frustration mate, Peace be with you and keep up the Good Work.

Jack
    Last edited by jackovesk; 7th December 2010 at 18:49.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast