+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 4 8 LastLast

Thread: The Avalon Library: discussion and requests

1. Link to Post #61
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,191 times in 32,903 posts

Default Re: The Avalon Library: discussion and requests

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Next to be uploaded, probably tomorrow, will be a large collection of Nexus Magazine pdfs. (That's the kind of thing that would be in its own subfolder. VERY good stuff there, btw.)
    Done. 64 magazines, all here:
    Quote Posted by Bob (here)

root: http://avalonlibrary.net

a LOT more there
    Yes, Bob's 100% right: a LOT more there. As I posted yesterday, please do browse freely and explore.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 4th July 2018 at 19:02. Reason: fixed bad Avalon Library link (apologies!)

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

BMJ (31st May 2018), Bob (31st May 2018), DNA (23rd June 2018), Foxie Loxie (31st May 2018), ichingcarpenter (4th August 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (24th June 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th August 2018), naochan (25th June 2018), Omni (4th July 2018), RunningDeer (1st June 2018), Star Tsar (24th June 2018), Valerie Villars (31st May 2018)

3. Link to Post #62
    Thanks

Next to be uploaded, probably tomorrow, will be a large collection of Nexus Magazine pdfs. (That's the kind of thing that would be in its own subfolder. VERY good stuff there, btw.)
    Quote Posted by Bob (here)

root: http://avalonlibrary.net

a LOT more there
    Yes, Bob's 100% right: a LOT more there. As I posted yesterday, please do browse freely and explore.

Bumping this. I've been adding more books all the time... literally too many to list here. Do please look around. It's one giant browser page, so a regular page search may find anything you're interested in, or all the books by a certain author.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 4th July 2018 at 19:03. Reason: fixed bad Avalon Library link (apologies!)

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Bob (23rd June 2018), DNA (23rd June 2018), Foxie Loxie (23rd June 2018), gord (23rd June 2018), Ivy23 (23rd June 2018), leavesoftrees (24th June 2018), magicmanx (23rd June 2018), Noelle (23rd June 2018), RunningDeer (24th June 2018), Valerie Villars (24th June 2018)

5. Link to Post #63
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 times in 617 posts

I just looked and noticed you do not have a copy of the Mass Psychology of Fascism by Reich. I have a PDF of it if you would like to have a copy of it for the library Bill.

6. Link to Post #64
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Praxis (here)
    I just looked and noticed you do not have a copy of the Mass Psychology of Fascism by Reich. I have a PDF of it if you would like to have a copy of it for the library Bill.
    Many thanks... just send it to me by e-mail, and I'll be delighted to add it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (24th June 2018), Omni (4th July 2018)

8. Link to Post #65
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

I thought it would be nice to have the "Declaration of Independence" in the library. It's still a beautiful piece of writing.

http://www.archives.gov/founding-doc...ion-transcript
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th July 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th August 2018)

10. Link to Post #66
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Valerie Villars (here)
    I thought it would be nice to have the "Declaration of Independence" in the library. It's still a beautiful piece of writing.

http://www.archives.gov/founding-doc...ion-transcript
    Done.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th August 2018), Valerie Villars (4th July 2018)

12. Link to Post #67
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,393 times in 3,448 posts

I'm reading a nexus magazine PDF and think nexus mag is pretty awesome. It would appear that those 64 magazines are high quality reading.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Omni For This Post:

Alx (5th July 2018), arwen (4th August 2018), Bill Ryan (4th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th August 2018)

14. Link to Post #68
    Thanks

I just thought about this. Do you have "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac? That book changed my life.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

arwen (4th August 2018), Bill Ryan (6th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018), ThePythonicCow (6th July 2018)

16. Link to Post #69
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Valerie Villars (here)
    I just thought about this. Do you have "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac? That book changed my life.

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 6th July 2018 at 00:06.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

arwen (4th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018), mgray (6th July 2018), Omni (6th July 2018), petra (7th August 2018), ThePythonicCow (6th July 2018), Valerie Villars (4th August 2018)

18. Link to Post #70
    Thanks

Oh my gosh, thank you. I have the biggest smile on my face.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

arwen (4th August 2018), Bill Ryan (6th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018), petra (7th August 2018), ThePythonicCow (6th July 2018)

20. Link to Post #71
    Thanks

A kind member sent me a very appreciative e-mail about the Avalon Library (you know who you are! ), and so I thought I might share my reply.

~~~
    Hi there, and many thanks for your kind words. Yes, Paul's put a lot of work into setting up the Library structure, and I've been uploading more and more books all the time. So many, in fact, that I only occasionally announce specific new books on the forum. There'd just be too many.

The total file size of the ebooks folder at the moment is 15.4 Gb. Depending on how they're counted, there are about 2,000 books in there now. Some of them I've hunted quite hard for specifically, and I've been delighted to track them down. (I'm gradually getting quite good at it!) I often convert the formats, and many of them I believe are unique on the net as PDFs. It's actually quite a lot of work sometimes, but I have to say I'm totally proud of it.

And yes, there are a few duplicates, but many of those are changes in the filenames which I've amended or corrected (or, in one or two instances, they're just different/alternative scans or OCRs): but in each case I left the original file in there, in case someone's linked the URL somewhere on some blog. I'd not want those to suddenly go to a '404 Not Found' for them.

Thanks again, and it's much appreciated. It's nice to know that more and more people are gradually realizing it's all there. I do believe it's now the best free e-book library on the net.

My very best wishes to you ~ Bill

21. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

anandacate (4th August 2018), arwen (4th August 2018), avid (4th August 2018), ClearWater (4th August 2018), drneglector (5th August 2018), dynamo (4th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018), genevieve (5th August 2018), Jayke (4th August 2018), kudzy (4th August 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th August 2018), Noelle (4th August 2018), Retief (4th August 2018), RunningDeer (4th August 2018), Sophocles (4th August 2018), Valerie Villars (4th August 2018)

22. Link to Post #72
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,638 times in 4,331 posts

Quote Posted by Omni (here)
    I'm reading a nexus magazine PDF and think nexus mag is pretty awesome. It would appear that those 64 magazines are high quality reading.
    Definitely. I got a box of them in the attic, and many more old magazines and publications like them. I'll never get rid either, part of my awakening
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

arwen (4th August 2018), Bill Ryan (4th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018), Noelle (4th August 2018)

24. Link to Post #73
    United States Avalon Member Retief's Avatar
    Thanks

A very good friend of mine is in the process of writing a novel subject matter along the lines of the bell ect. I told him the Avalon Library is the best resource on the web as far as I know along these lines. I thank Bill and everyone else involved for making it happen and keeping it going.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Retief For This Post:

arwen (4th August 2018), Bill Ryan (4th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018), Valerie Villars (4th August 2018)

26. Link to Post #74
    South Africa Avalon Member arwen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,576 times in 660 posts

It's nice to know that more and more people are gradually realizing it's all there. I do believe it's now the best free e-book library on the net.
    Fully agree! A Treasure Trove, a Gold Mine, absolutely the Best on the Net.

What would add even more value (although not absolutely necessary, it is excellent as it is), would be some sort of feature to search by author, title and subject category. Not necessary to index/classify at the level of the Dewey Decimal or other systems, but as the collection grows, it may become necessary to have some sort of searchable and retrieval categorization beyond alphabetical listing.

That would need 1) Tech plug-in (if not possible it stops right there) 2) Volunteers to Index and Catalogue the items, at a basic level, and which would be a fun project (presuming the world does not end in the meantime )

Much Love to you, Bill, and thank you for your excellent work.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arwen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018), Valerie Villars (4th August 2018)

28. Link to Post #75
    South Africa Avalon Member arwen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,576 times in 660 posts

Yes, they are excellent! Another similar magazine I found to be in the same league was New Dawn magazine - I subscribed to them years ago and unfortunately was not able to keep my back copies. They do have a few of their articles openly accessible if no back copies are available for the library.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arwen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018)

30. Link to Post #76
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,130 times in 8,306 posts

Another magazine I discovered in the 80s but never actually owned my own, was OMNI.

I first learned about the animal mutilations by reading a copy of that.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018)

32. Link to Post #77
    United States Avalon Member Retief's Avatar
    Thanks

I used to like Omni back in the day. Supposedly you can get back copies at https://archive.org/details/omni-magazine. But, like Scientific American I eventually realized it was just another outlet for the orthodox view of our state of affairs.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Retief For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th August 2018)

34. Link to Post #78
    Thanks

A kind member sent me a very appreciative e-mail about the Avalon Library (you know who you are! ), and so I thought I might share my reply.

~~~
    Hi there, and many thanks for your kind words. Yes, Paul's put a lot of work into setting up the Library structure, and I've been uploading more and more books all the time. So many, in fact, that I only occasionally announce specific new books on the forum. There'd just be too many.

The total file size of the ebooks folder at the moment is 15.4 Gb. Depending on how they're counted, there are about 2,000 books in there now. Some of them I've hunted quite hard for specifically, and I've been delighted to track them down. (I'm gradually getting quite good at it!) I often convert the formats, and many of them I believe are unique on the net as PDFs. It's actually quite a lot of work sometimes, but I have to say I'm totally proud of it.

And yes, there are a few duplicates, but many of those are changes in the filenames which I've amended or corrected (or, in one or two instances, they're just different/alternative scans or OCRs): but in each case I left the original file in there, in case someone's linked the URL somewhere on some blog. I'd not want those to suddenly go to a '404 Not Found' for them.

Thanks again, and it's much appreciated. It's nice to know that more and more people are gradually realizing it's all there. I do believe it's now the best free e-book library on the net.

My very best wishes to you ~ Bill
    Did you know Bill that registrars have an option for redirecting links? You could take the old url and put it through the AvalonLibrary.net registrar and redirect any older urls to the newer links and eliminate duplicates for maximum aesthetics. I have had to re-upload PDFs to my multimedia company subdomain and that is the optimal way I have found. I particularly like it because it doesn't split the SEO into two links.
    Last edited by Omni; 5th August 2018 at 03:45.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Omni For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th August 2018)

36. Link to Post #79
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,609 times in 21,525 posts

Did you know Bill that registrars have an option for redirecting links?
    There's a good chance I misunderstand your suggestion Omni, but it seems to me that you are discussing link redirects from one website to another. I am pretty sure that Bill was discussing having the same document loaded on AvalonLibrary.net by two different file names.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

37. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

38. Link to Post #80
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Did you know Bill that registrars have an option for redirecting links?
    There's a good chance I misunderstand your suggestion Omni, but it seems to me that you are discussing link redirects from one website to another. I am pretty sure that Bill was discussing having the same document loaded on AvalonLibrary.net by two different file names.
    Yes, Bill was talking about duplicates under two file names. My suggestion is take the older one and grab the link from it; make a redirect to the new one - and then delete the duplicates as they may confuse people and are bad for SEO, it splits the SEO of the PDF links into two. From what I have heard by carrying out a permanent redirect it puts a lot of the SEO of the redirect link into the destination.

On one of my registrars you can forward/redirect any link from a hosted domain to any link destination on the web. This can be useful for many things, e.g. what Bill described. I have done this for my PDF domain.
    Last edited by Omni; 5th August 2018 at 10:29.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Omni For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 4 8 LastLast