+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 6 8 LastLast

Thread: The Avalon Library: discussion and requests

1. Link to Post #101
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Default Re: The Avalon Library: discussion and requests

"Quality, not quantity"! Kindred souls here on Avalon!!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Anka (14th January 2020), Bill Ryan (1st November 2018), Billy (15th August 2018), Caliban (13th August 2018), Franny (3rd July 2019), RunningDeer (11th August 2018)

3. Link to Post #102
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,534 times in 32,788 posts

A routine update here, in case folks may not be fully aware.

The Avalon Library continues to grow steadily. Only a very small proportion of new uploads are posted as updates on the forum.
    • In the ebooks section, there are now over 2,300 books, including some which are very hard to find.
    • In the main section, there are over 100 documentaries and other videos, including YouTube items which have been censored or removed.
    • And there's a Coast to Coast AM section with over 300 Coast to Coast radio shows.
    That, and much, much more. There are some very rare and interesting items in there. We're really proud of it... do check it out regularly. It's all for you.

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 3rd July 2019 at 02:05.

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Axman (3rd July 2019), bearhug (18th August 2019), Belle (3rd July 2019), Billy (2nd August 2019), Forest Denizen (3rd July 2019), Franny (3rd July 2019), Gracy (3rd July 2019), Ivanhoe (3rd July 2019), Jad (3rd July 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (4th July 2019), kfm27917 (10th June 2020), Perdido (25th November 2019), Rosemarie (3rd July 2019), Tintin (11th January 2020), Valerie Villars (28th July 2019), Wind (3rd July 2019), Yoda (3rd July 2019)

5. Link to Post #103
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

The Avalon Library continues to grow steadily. Only a very small proportion of new uploads are posted as updates on the forum.
    • In the ebooks section, there are now over 2,300 books, including some which are very hard to find.
    • In the main section, there are over 100 documentaries and other videos, including YouTube items which have been censored or removed.
    • And there's a Coast to Coast AM section with over 300 Coast to Coast radio shows.
    That, and much, much more. There are some very rare and interesting items in there. We're really proud of it... do check it out regularly. It's all for you.

Gutted that the ebook section of The Avalon Library has gone. Missing it already. Do you plan on bringing it back Bill?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iamofopenmind For This Post:

Constance (28th July 2019), Rosemarie (28th July 2019), Tintin (11th January 2020), Valerie Villars (28th July 2019)

7. Link to Post #104
    Thanks

Quote Posted by iamofopenmind (here)

Gutted that the ebook section of The Avalon Library has gone. Missing it already. Do you plan on bringing it back Bill?
    I'm afraid we can't, in its present form.

The main issue is that only a small proportion of all the books there were copyrighted. Many were old and hard to find, extremely valuable reference material that I only personally ever used to search for keywords and find short sections to quote or highlight in posts. But taken all together, it was a fantastic, huge encyclopedia, the best doors-wide-open literary library on the net.

What's needed is to sift through them all — 2,300 of them — and weed out the ones that are (or may be) copyrighted. But that's really an enormous task.

A book published in 1925 may have a copyright notice in the preface, but has that expired? (Probably, but who knows for sure?) And in the case of authors who have passed (like Jim Marrs, Ingo Swann, Colin Wilson, and many others), who owns the copyrights now — if they do? And how to find out? I can't e-mail Jim now to ask him.

So the entire issue is fraught. In the bigger picture, the real issue is the internet, and that so much is now widely available (or at least searchable) in a vast, global information cloud. Every book that was ever listed there is also elsewhere on the net.

They may be hard to find, so all we sought to do was to assemble all this in one place to save people searching for hours. In a way, it was just a list of search results, all predigested. We just did the grunt work for others, and like presenting a platform for the forum itself, this was our pleasure.

Regarding the threat of action taken against us, we were just an easy target. And the reason why we were an easy target, of course, is that it had become too big. We never tried to stay hidden. All we ever wanted to do was be of service to the community.

It was like hippies in the 70s sharing their LPs with one another. But the internet makes it extremely easy to copy and share, and the entire 15th century concept of copyright, with all its facets and nuances and restrictions, is now quite a debating point — probably among everyone but authors.

A personal note.

When I was publishing a great deal of original material, in Project Camelot days, nothing was copyrighted. Not a word, and not a single video. Nor did we ever sell anything. We wanted people to go copy it and spread it all around.

I've never monetized a YouTube video, either. Not one. I just refuse.

The standard paradigm is:
    "I've got this thing that I think you may want, but I'm not going to let you have it unless you give me money first."
    My paradigm is:
    "I've got this thing that I think you may want, so please help yourself — and if you want to donate something, I'll be grateful. But I'm not counting on it. It's all up to you."
    But I know I see the world differently from almost everyone else. So many people on the net are about money. But I just can't think that way. If I did, Avalon would be covered with advertising, and half of it would be behind a paywall. So my ethics are solid. They're just not quite the same as most other people's.

8. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Andrew_K (30th July 2019), bearhug (18th August 2019), Billy (2nd August 2019), Bluegreen (28th July 2019), carnavas (9th April 2020), ClearWater (28th July 2019), Constance (28th July 2019), Deux Corbeaux (28th July 2019), EFO (1st August 2019), Ernie Nemeth (6th August 2019), Forest Denizen (28th July 2019), iamofopenmind (28th July 2019), Iristar (29th July 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (1st August 2019), Kindred (18th December 2019), kudzy (15th October 2019), magicmanx (1st August 2019), Matthew (28th July 2019), Michi (29th July 2019), Mike (28th July 2019), Perdido (25th November 2019), Rich (28th July 2019), Rosemarie (28th July 2019), Sadieblue (22nd September 2019), sunflower (30th July 2019), Tam (29th July 2019), Tintin (28th July 2019), Wind (1st August 2019), Yoda (28th July 2019)

9. Link to Post #105
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by iamofopenmind (here)

I'm afraid we can't, in its present form.

The main issue is that only a small proportion of all the books there were copyrighted. Many were old and hard to find, extremely valuable reference material that I only personally ever used to search for keywords and find short sections to quote or highlight in posts. But taken all together, it was a fantastic, huge encyclopedia, the best doors-wide-open literary library on the net.

What's needed is to sift through them all — 2,300 of them — and weed out the ones that are (or may be) copyrighted. But that's really an enormous task.

A book published in 1925 may have a copyright notice in the preface, but has that expired? (Probably, but who knows for sure?) And in the case of authors who have passed (like Jim Marrs, Ingo Swann, Colin Wilson, and many others), who owns the copyrights now — if they do? And how to find out? I can't e-mail Jim now to ask him.

So the entire issue is fraught. In the bigger picture, the real issue is the internet, and that so much is now widely available (or at least searchable) in a vast, global information cloud. Every book that was ever listed there is also elsewhere on the net.

They may be hard to find, so all we sought to do was to assemble all this in one place to save people searching for hours. In a way, it was just a list of search results, all predigested. We just did the grunt work for others, and like presenting a platform for the forum itself, this was our pleasure.

Regarding the threat of action taken against us, we were just an easy target. And the reason why we were an easy target, of course, is that it had become too big. We never tried to stay hidden. All we ever wanted to do was be of service to the community.

It was like hippies in the 70s sharing their LPs with one another. But the internet makes it extremely easy to copy and share, and the entire 15th century concept of copyright, with all its facets and nuances and restrictions, is now quite a debating point — probably among everyone but authors.

A personal note.

When I was publishing a great deal of original material, in Project Camelot days, nothing was copyrighted. Not a word, and not a single video. Nor did we ever sell anything. We wanted people to go copy it and spread it all around.

I've never monetized a YouTube video, either. Not one. I just refuse.

The standard paradigm is:
    "I've got this thing that I think you may want, but I'm not going to let you have it unless you give me money first."
    My paradigm is:
    "I've got this thing that I think you may want, so please help yourself — and if you want to donate something, I'll be grateful. But I'm not counting on it. It's all up to you."
    But I know I see the world differently from almost everyone else. So many people on the net are about money. But I just can't think that way. If I did, Avalon would be covered with advertising, and half of it would be behind a paywall. So my ethics are solid. They're just not quite the same as most other people's.
    Well thank you anyway for providing this much needed service, it was a fabulous resource and has given myself and many others countless hours of enjoyment. Back to torrents I guess

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to iamofopenmind For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th July 2019), Billy (2nd August 2019), Bluegreen (28th July 2019), Constance (1st August 2019), Forest Denizen (28th July 2019), Rosemarie (28th July 2019), Tam (29th July 2019), Tintin (28th July 2019), Valerie Villars (28th July 2019)

11. Link to Post #106
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

It's a real shame. I used to use it very often because a subject I knew nothing about was recommended and the reading material provided. Very seldom will I buy a book just based on a preface or a short synopsis. I almost always buy books I have read because I know it's something I want in my library. Often I would buy a book by an author because I was able to first read other works by that author and found their work valuable.

However, I completely understand why it had to be pulled. It's just no one really benefits from it not being there.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Andrew_K (30th July 2019), Bill Ryan (28th July 2019), Billy (2nd August 2019), Bluegreen (28th July 2019), ClearWater (28th July 2019), Constance (1st August 2019), Rosemarie (28th July 2019), Tam (29th July 2019), Tintin (28th July 2019)

13. Link to Post #107
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 times in 266 posts

Is there anything I can do to help with this? I volunteer to volunteer!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RogueEllis For This Post:

avatar (2nd August 2019), Bill Ryan (18th August 2019), Billy (2nd August 2019), Constance (1st August 2019), Tintin (1st August 2019), Valerie Villars (1st August 2019)

15. Link to Post #108
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hi Bill

don't suppose you still have the web links for any of these books? So many of this 'free' links to books now need to register and pay.

Even many Gutenburg scanned books end up on amazon kindle selection!

Otherwise find a country that has no copyright laws, see below, not much choice - San Marino??

The following countries have no known copyright relations with the United States.
    Afghanistan
    Eritrea
    Ethiopia
    Iran
    Iraq
    San Marino
    Turkmenistan

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pexdog99 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th August 2019), Billy (18th August 2019), Rhogar (18th August 2019), Tintin (18th August 2019)

17. Link to Post #109
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Pexdog99 (here)
    Hi Bill

don't suppose you still have the web links for any of these books? So many of this 'free' links to books now need to register and pay.
    There's an Avalon team working right now to establish what can safely be in the library, and what can't. That might take a couple of weeks or more, but after that it'll all be relaunched. We have many books which are pretty much open source, and the job — not a small one! — is to identify what should be excluded.

See this Members-only thread:

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Billy (18th August 2019), Forest Denizen (19th August 2019), Frank V (18th August 2019), Hervé (18th August 2019), magicmanx (18th August 2019), RogueEllis (18th August 2019), Sadieblue (22nd September 2019), Tintin (18th August 2019), Yoda (18th August 2019)

19. Link to Post #110
    United States Avalon Member p+52's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,634 times in 159 posts

Don't know who the member is that is contributing the Coast to Coast AM archives, but wonder if there will be another set of recent shows added soon?

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to p+52 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th January 2020), Bluegreen (7th January 2020), Denise/Dizi (7th January 2020), Forest Denizen (11th January 2020), Franny (7th January 2020), Kryztian (7th January 2020), Tintin (11th January 2020)

21. Link to Post #111
    Thanks

Quote Posted by p+52 (here)
    Don't know who the member is that is contributing the Coast to Coast AM archives, but wonder if there will be another set of recent shows added soon?
    The [very kind!] Avalon member has asked to be anonymous, but the way we work it is that if any shows come to our attention that we really think the community would appreciate being archived and posted, then we make a special request. (And of course, that can be retrospective, as a C2C member can go back quite a number of years to download past shows.)

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Forest Denizen (11th January 2020), Frank V (7th January 2020), Franny (7th January 2020), Peter UK (26th March 2020), Yoda (9th January 2020)

23. Link to Post #112
    United States Avalon Member p+52's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,634 times in 159 posts

The [very kind!] Avalon member has asked to be anonymous, but the way we work it is that if any shows come to our attention that we really think the community would appreciate being archived and posted, then we make a special request. (And of course, that can be retrospective, as a C2C member can go back quite a number of years to download past shows.)
    Thank you Bill. The requested anonymity of the member is certainly understandable, and I thank him (her) for their contributions.

I'd like to propose requesting 1 recent show: the one from Dec 22 which included an interview of someone I will be meeting in a couple weeks, astronomer and former JPL employee Marian Rudnyk about his UFO encounter (very near to where I live) in Southern California.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to p+52 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th January 2020), Forest Denizen (11th January 2020), Franny (7th January 2020), Peter UK (26th March 2020), Tintin (11th January 2020)

25. Link to Post #113
    Thanks

I'd like to propose requesting 1 recent show: the one from Dec 22 which included an interview of someone I will be meeting in a couple weeks, astronomer and former JPL employee Marian Rudnyk about his UFO encounter (very near to where I live) in Southern California.
    Here you go:
    1. Coast to Coast AM with George Knapp - Marian Rudnyk - Dec 22 2019 - Hour 1.mp3
      http://avalonlibrary.net/Coast_to_Co...20Hour%201.mp3
    2. Coast to Coast AM with George Knapp - Marian Rudnyk - Dec 22 2019 - Hour 2.mp3
      http://avalonlibrary.net/Coast_to_Co...20Hour%202.mp3
    3. Coast to Coast AM with George Knapp - Terry Lovelace - Dec 22 2019 - Hour 3.mp3
      http://avalonlibrary.net/Coast_to_Co...20Hour%203.mp3
    4. Coast to Coast AM with George Knapp - Terry Lovelace - Dec 22 2019 - Hour 4.mp3
      http://avalonlibrary.net/Coast_to_Co...20Hour%204.mp3

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Anka (13th January 2020), ClearWater (11th January 2020), Forest Denizen (11th January 2020), Franny (11th January 2020), Peter UK (26th March 2020), Tintin (11th January 2020), Yoda (12th January 2020)

27. Link to Post #114
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 times in 247 posts

hello team PA.. I am looking for any books on Indrid Cold - Moth man prophecies// visitors from lanulos

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Parsi-X For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th March 2020), Frank V (25th March 2020), Franny (26th March 2020), Peter UK (26th March 2020), Tintin (25th March 2020)

29. Link to Post #115
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,617 times in 5,415 posts

Quote Posted by Parsi-X (here)
    hello team PA.. I am looking for any books on Indrid Cold - Moth man prophecies// visitors from lanulos
    Thanks very much for this request Parsi-X. Bear with me here; I'll probably need to have a dig around tomorrow (UK) now but it's flagged on my 'to do'. I'm pretty certain 'Mothman' material is in the library. Hang on in there
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th March 2020), Frank V (25th March 2020), Franny (26th March 2020), Parsi-X (26th March 2020), Peter UK (26th March 2020)

31. Link to Post #116
    Language
    English
    Thanks

i have a few e-books from william mills tompkins, micheal e salla that I would be happy to share if anyone wants them or for the library, please let me know
    Humata Huxta Huvarsta

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parsi-X For This Post:

Frank V (26th March 2020), Peter UK (26th March 2020), Tintin (26th March 2020)

33. Link to Post #117
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Tintin (here)
    Thanks very much for this request Parsi-X. Bear with me here; I'll probably need to have a dig around tomorrow (UK) now but it's flagged on my 'to do'. I'm pretty certain 'Mothman' material is in the library. Hang on in there
    Here's a bunch of books which all feature the word 'Indrid' (an unusual word!):
    • John Keel - The Mothman Prophecies.pdf
    • John Keel - The Cosmic Question.pdf
    • John Keel - The Complete Guide to Mysterious Beings.pdf
    • John Keel - The Eighth Tower.pdf
    • David Icke - Tales From The Time Loop.pdf
    • Michael Talbot - The Holographic Universe.pdf
    • Allen Greenfield - Secret Rituals of the Men in Black.pdf
    Here's the download link, valid for 7 days till 2 April 2020:

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

edina (26th March 2020), Frank V (26th March 2020), Le Chat (26th March 2020), Parsi-X (27th March 2020), Tintin (26th March 2020), Yoda (26th March 2020)

35. Link to Post #118
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,249 times in 1,238 posts

• John Keel - The Cosmic Question.pdf
    Indrid Cold is apparently the proper name of a human-like extraterrestrial, who was part of the investigations in the paranormal documentary series Hellier ─ John Keel and his books are mentioned in the series. The whole series is available on YouTube , as well as freely downloadable in very high resolution from the investigators' own website, although I would recommend not going the route of the high-resolution videos right away due to the fact that the overall bandwidth of the internet is very badly compromised right now.

Over at the sister forums The One Truth and Eye-Rise, we've got a complete playlist of both seasons, with direct links to each individual episode from an index in the opening post(s). I was going to do that here as well, but as you've already undoubtedly noticed, the circumstances haven't exactly been ideal for such an endeavor, with the server periodically being unavailable and all that.

So, to summarize, here are the links where you can watch the whole series so far ─ five episodes for Season One, ten episodes for Season Two:

Here's a quick trailer.

Given that the series is available for free, it would also make for a very good addition to the Library, but then we'd need a whole lot more storage space and a lot more bandwidth than we currently have, because each of the high-resolution videos is between 1.5 GiB and 3 GiB in size. So if Bill and Tintin approve of this material as an addition to the Library, then it would only be after we've moved over the entire Project Avalon infrastructure to a more powerful server with more storage space and more bandwidth, which will probably happen simultaneously with the upgrade from vBulletin 4 to vBulletin 5.

Last edited by Frank V; 27th March 2020 at 00:03.

36. Link to Post #119
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,108 times in 1,389 posts

Hi Bill,

"[*]John Keel - The Eighth Tower.pdf" downloads as
    [*]John Keel - The Cosmic Question.pdf. again
    Love and Hope

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tangri For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th March 2020), Frank V (27th March 2020)

38. Link to Post #120
    Language
    English
    Thanks

hello all.. I am looking to read Meet the Hybrids by Barbara Lamb and Miguel Mendoca..would anyone here have a copy? Thank you
    Humata Huxta Huvarsta

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parsi-X For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th April 2020), Frank V (13th April 2020), Hym (21st April 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 6 8 LastLast