+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Winning moments - The NWO is not un-opposed.

1. Link to Post #1
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Default Winning moments - The NWO is not un-opposed.

It's very easy to focus on the negative, especially since that's what the MSM does & most humans naturally will listen to negative comments more than positive.

This can make it seem like things are much worse than they are...

I think we can find a lot of positive movements out there, a lot of "humanity" being brought back into this world.

We should share these, all hope is NOT lost!

For example:

Quote Montage — The next generation of war reporting

An unemployed British finance worker and stay-at-home dad is an unlikely character to become one of the world’s experts on weapons and the Syrian conflict. But that’s precisely the story of Eliot Higgins, known online by the pseudonym “Brown Moses.”
    In early 2012, Eliot began blogging about the Syrian Civil War, using YouTube videos to investigate information about specific attacks, allegations of chemical weapon use, and troop movements. He monitored hundreds of YouTube channels to find images of weapons or patterns in troop moments, which he used to report on the sources of arms in the Syrian conflict. Eliot’s work has been cited by dozens of mainstream news outlets, who describe him as a “pioneer” for using public, open-source data, to uncover what was happening on the ground in conflict zones from Syria to Crimea.
    Eliot inspired us. It should be easier for individuals and organizations to analyze publicly available video and data to discover what’s happening in conflict zones. In the case of the Syrian conflict, there are more hours of footage online than there have been hours of actual conflict — five years and counting. Hidden in that footage are untold stories, evidence of war crimes, and human rights violations — information the world needs to know. How can journalists and human rights groups find the information they need to accurately report what’s happening?
    That’s why we created Montage, a soon to be open-source tool that makes it easier for journalists and human rights organizations to report on conflicts around the world.
    Montage allows users to search YouTube content based on location and time. People can search for videos of a specific event, tag those videos to identify people, places, or things, and collaboratively analyze that information to find out the truth behind the footage.
    For the past year, The Carter Center, a nonprofit founded by former President Jimmy Carter to advance human rights, has been using Montage to analyze video footage from the Syrian conflict.
    For example, The Carter Center’s excellent interactive map of the Syrian conflict uses data from Montage to track the evolution of the conflict, providing journalists and humanitarian first responders with crucial information in real time. The Center has also used Montage to produce maps that track the efficacy of Russian airstrikes, the resurgence of the Assad government, and ISIS troop movements. And that’s just the beginning of how Montage can be used.

[IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/800/1*v9JgEJktnTe-5QpvdVm8Gg.gif[/IMG]
    (stupid GIF won't post...)

Part of Jigsaw’s mission as an incubator is to find the best, long-term home for the products we develop so they can have the biggest impact possible. That’s why today we’re announcing the handover of Montage to Storyful, the leading organization for verifying social video for news and media. Storyful is the ideal partner to scale the work of Montage with the community, using video data to tell important stories and sharing those stories with the world.
    Ever considered a second career as an investigative journalist? Try Montage today and tag your insights with #montage
    https://medium.com/jigsaw/montage-th...aff#.2z84q9u6c

There are even pod casts and websites dedicated to items like this:

http://mediamonarchy.com/tag/good-news-next-week/

Know of any good news, any "wins" for we-the-people? SHARE THEM!
    Last edited by TargeT; 21st April 2016 at 15:45.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

2. The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), angelfire (22nd April 2016), avid (22nd April 2016), Awakening2014 (21st April 2016), bluestflame (22nd April 2016), BMJ (22nd April 2016), Bubu (27th April 2017), Calz (22nd April 2016), conk (15th December 2016), danegeroussacredgeometry (24th April 2016), DNA (15th December 2016), drneglector (27th June 2017), Eram (21st April 2016), Ewan (21st April 2016), Foxie Loxie (21st April 2016), guayabal (17th December 2016), Icare (19th September 2020), JRS (22nd April 2016), Lefty Dave (21st April 2016), Lifebringer (15th December 2016), Mark (22nd April 2016), markoid (22nd April 2016), Matthew (21st April 2016), Michelle Marie (22nd April 2016), Mike (21st April 2016), Morbid (22nd April 2016), Nasu (2nd June 2017), NeedleThreader (21st April 2016), penn (22nd April 2016), PurpleLama (21st April 2016), raregem (22nd April 2016), rgray222 (13th January 2021), Savannah (15th December 2016), Shannon (22nd April 2016), The Freedom Train (15th December 2016), TraineeHuman (22nd April 2016), william r sanford72 (21st April 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Winning moments - The NWO is not un-opposed.

With all the GMO food, agressive vaccination programs and general C R A P eating habits that modern humans have today diseases like Alzheimer's are appearing in larger numbers than ever... But we aren't taking it laying down!

Another win!

Quote New protein injection reverses Alzheimer’s symptoms in mice in just one week
    Human trials are not far off.

Researchers have discovered that an injection of a protein called IL-33 can reverse Alzheimer's-like symptoms and cognitive decline in mice, restoring their memory and cognitive function to the same levels as healthy mice in the space of one week.

Mice bred to develop a progressive Alzheimer's-like disease as they aged (called APP/PS1 mice) were given daily injections of the protein, and it appeared to not only clear out the toxic amyloid plaques that are thought to trigger Alzheimer’s in humans, it also prevented more from forming.‌‌"IL-33 is a protein produced by various cell types in the body and is particularly abundant in the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord)," says lead researcher, Eddy Liew from the University of Glasgow in the UK. "We found that injection of IL-33 into aged APP/PS1 mice rapidly improved their memory and cognitive function to that of the age-matched normal mice within a week."

Before we go any further, we should make it clear that these results are restricted to mice only, and at this stage, we have no idea if they will translate at all in humans with Alzheimer’s.

And the odds aren’t great - one study put successful translation of positive results in mice to humans at a rate of about 8 percent, so we can never get too excited until we see how things fare in human trials.

But when it comes to a disease with no known cure that’s expected to affect 65 million people by 2030, any new development is worth a look at, and the team behind the discovery reports "encouraging hints" that certain aspects of this study could translate to human Alzheimer's patients.

In humans, Alzheimer’s disease usually results from a build-up of two types of lesions in the brain - amyloid plaques, and neurofibrillary tangles.

Amyloid plaques sit between the neurons and form dense clusters of a sticky type of protein called beta-amyloid.

Neurofibrillary tangles are found inside the neurons, caused by defective tau proteins that clump up into a thick, insoluble mass. This causes tiny filaments called microtubules to get twisted, which disrupts the transportation of essential nutrients around the brain.

Right now, no one knows why certain people experience a build-up of amyloid plaques and neurofibrillary tangles in the brain as they age, and others don’t, but scientists are confident that if we can figure out how to clear them out and stop them forming, we can effectively treat the disease.Working with mice, Liew and his team discovered that IL-33 appears to kickstart immune cells in the brain called microglia, directing them towards the toxic amyloid plaques.

Once the plaques were on their radar, the microglia aggressively targeted and absorbed them with the help of an enzyme called neprilysin, which is known to break down soluble amyloid.

This process was found to reduce the size and number of amyloid plaques in mice with Alzheimer’s-like symptoms.

Not only that, but the IL-33 injections also prevented inflammation in the brain tissue, which previous studies have linked to the proliferation of plaques and neurofibrillary tangles.

"Therefore IL-33 not only helps to clear the amyloid plaque already formed, but also prevent the deposition of the plaques and tangles in the first place," the Glasgow team reports.

So it's good news for APP/PS1 mice everywhere, and a very interesting result for researchers around the world who are hell-bent on finding a cure or treatment for Alzheimer’s disease in humans. Liew remains cautiously optimistic:

"The relevance of this finding to human Alzheimer’s is at present unclear. But there are encouraging hints. For example, previous genetic studies have shown an association between IL-33 mutations and Alzheimer’s disease in European and Chinese populations. Furthermore, the brain of patients with Alzheimer’s disease contains less IL-33 than the brain from non-Alzheimer’s patients."

He adds that, "There have been enough false 'breakthroughs' in the medical field to caution us not to hold our breath until rigorous clinical trials have been done," but says they’re just about to enter a Phase 1 clinical trial with human patients to test the toxicity of IL-33 at the doses used in mice.

We’re ready and waiting for those results.
    http://www.sciencealert.com/new-prot...-just-one-week
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

4. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), AutumnW (28th April 2017), avid (22nd April 2016), bluestflame (22nd April 2016), BMJ (22nd April 2016), Bob (22nd April 2016), Calz (22nd April 2016), Craig (22nd April 2016), DNA (26th April 2016), Eram (17th December 2016), Ewan (22nd April 2016), GrnEggsNHam (26th April 2016), Icare (19th September 2020), justntime2learn (26th April 2016), Mark (22nd April 2016), markoid (26th April 2016), Michelle Marie (22nd April 2016), Nasu (26th April 2016), PathWalker (22nd April 2016), penn (22nd April 2016), Savannah (15th December 2016), seko (14th December 2016), Shannon (22nd April 2016), TraineeHuman (22nd April 2016), unearth9 (4th May 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Free speech spreads! (even if only a little)

Dutch to scrap ban on insulting foreign heads of state

The Netherlands is to abolish the law making it a criminal offence to insult a foreign heads of state, justice minister Ard van der Steur told parliament on Wednesday. Earlier this week, MPs from the two Dutch liberal parties VVD and D66 called on the government to scrap the law, following Turkey’s attempt to prosecute a German comedian. Similar legislation in Germany is being used by Turkey to prosecute Jan Böhmermann, a comedian who read out an offensive poem about the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, on television. The minister said he is looking into whether the proposal can be given priority from the government’s standpoint. However, Van der Steur said he does not plan to remove the ban on insulting the Dutch monarch, as called for by D66. War criminal The last time the law was used in the Netherlands dates back to 1968 when writer Geert Mak, who then worked on a student newspaper, was fined 200 guilders for comparing US president Lyndon Johnson to a war criminal, broadcaster Nos says. Meanwhile Dutch comedian Hans Teeuwen appeared on RTL news defending Jan Böhmermann and issuing his own tirade of sexual allegations against Erdogan. Insulting the head of a friendly state carries a maximum two-year jail sentence.
    http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive...eads-of-state/
    Where are you?

6. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), BMJ (22nd April 2016), Calz (22nd April 2016), DNA (26th April 2016), Eram (17th December 2016), Ewan (22nd April 2016), graciousb (15th January 2021), GrnEggsNHam (26th April 2016), justntime2learn (26th April 2016), Leon55 (26th April 2016), Mark (22nd April 2016), markoid (26th April 2016), Michelle Marie (22nd April 2016), Nasu (2nd June 2017), Omni (10th January 2017), PathWalker (22nd April 2016), Savannah (15th December 2016), Shannon (22nd April 2016), TeXaR (22nd April 2016), The Freedom Train (15th December 2016), unearth9 (4th May 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Humanity despite bureaucracy.

Quote Michigan Cop Buys Car Seat for Girl After Pulling Over Her Father

A Michigan father wants people to know "there are still real-life superheroes in this world" after a police officer's random act of kindness recently brought him to tears.

LaVonte Dell told ABC News today he was driving in Westland, Michigan, this past Monday afternoon when he "suddenly saw the red and blue lights" behind car. The 28-year-old dad said his "heart dropped to his stomach" and that he was "so sure" he was going to get a costly ticket because of his vehicle's tinted windows.

But what happened next "completely surprised me," Dell said.

"The officer told me why he pulled me over, which I had predicted, and then he also noticed my 3-year-old in the back wasn't in a car seat," Dell said. "He asked me to step out of my vehicle to talk to him, and I was just so scared thinking this couldn't be good."

But rather than issuing him a ticket, Dell said the cop -- whom he later learned was Officer Joshua Scaglione with the City of Westland Police Department -- took the time to listen to his story and then made "a generous offer."

"The dad teared up a little and explained how he didn't have the money to afford a car seat right now and that he had been running into some tough times," Scaglione told ABC News today. "So I said, 'Hey, could you follow me to Walmart?' and he was a little shocked and asked me, 'For what?' I told him I'd be more than happy to buy the car seat for him."

Dell said "he still couldn't believe it" when the two of them were shopping around in Walmart and getting to know each other better.

"He purchased one for me, and it was pink, which is my daughter's favorite color," Dell said. "It has butterflies and she loves it."

Though Dell didn't catch Scaglione's name or number before parting ways, he was reunited with the officer on Wednesday after his Facebook post about the incident went viral in the area.

Dell said he hopes that people who hear his story "learn to never judge a book by its cover" and "realize there are still good people out there going above and beyond to protect you and make sure you're still alright."

Scaglione said he was just doing his job and asks anyone uplifted by the story "to just pay it forward."

"You know, a ticket doesn't help all the time," the officer said. "I've been in a tough situation like this guy before. I figured it'd be better to help him out and just raise more awareness about car safety rather than give him a ticket that would dig him deeper in a hole and make things worse for him.

Last edited by TargeT; 22nd April 2016 at 15:39.
    Where are you?

8. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), Basho (22nd April 2016), Becky (22nd April 2016), BMJ (22nd April 2016), Bubu (27th April 2017), Calz (22nd April 2016), DeDukshyn (14th December 2016), DNA (26th April 2016), Ewan (26th April 2016), fourty-two (27th April 2017), gord (14th December 2016), graciousb (15th January 2021), GrnEggsNHam (26th April 2016), Icare (19th September 2020), justntime2learn (26th April 2016), Mark (22nd April 2016), markoid (26th April 2016), mischief (17th December 2016), Nasu (26th April 2016), Noelle (10th January 2017), Ol' Roy (22nd April 2016), raregem (15th November 2017), Savannah (15th December 2016), seko (14th December 2016), Shannon (22nd April 2016), silverfish (14th December 2016), The Freedom Train (15th December 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Moderator (on Sabbatical) Shannon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,063 times in 1,211 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    Humanity despite bureaucracy.

Quote Michigan Cop Buys Car Seat for Girl After Pulling Over Her Father

A Michigan father wants people to know "there are still real-life superheroes in this world" after a police officer's random act of kindness recently brought him to tears.

LaVonte Dell told ABC News today he was driving in Westland, Michigan, this past Monday afternoon when he "suddenly saw the red and blue lights" behind car. The 28-year-old dad said his "heart dropped to his stomach" and that he was "so sure" he was going to get a costly ticket because of his vehicle's tinted windows.

But what happened next "completely surprised me," Dell said.

"The officer told me why he pulled me over, which I had predicted, and then he also noticed my 3-year-old in the back wasn't in a car seat," Dell said. "He asked me to step out of my vehicle to talk to him, and I was just so scared thinking this couldn't be good."

But rather than issuing him a ticket, Dell said the cop -- whom he later learned was Officer Joshua Scaglione with the City of Westland Police Department -- took the time to listen to his story and then made "a generous offer."

"The dad teared up a little and explained how he didn't have the money to afford a car seat right now and that he had been running into some tough times," Scaglione told ABC News today. "So I said, 'Hey, could you follow me to Walmart?' and he was a little shocked and asked me, 'For what?' I told him I'd be more than happy to buy the car seat for him."

Dell said "he still couldn't believe it" when the two of them were shopping around in Walmart and getting to know each other better.

"He purchased one for me, and it was pink, which is my daughter's favorite color," Dell said. "It has butterflies and she loves it."

Though Dell didn't catch Scaglione's name or number before parting ways, he was reunited with the officer on Wednesday after his Facebook post about the incident went viral in the area.

Dell said he hopes that people who hear his story "learn to never judge a book by its cover" and "realize there are still good people out there going above and beyond to protect you and make sure you're still alright."

Scaglione said he was just doing his job and asks anyone uplifted by the story "to just pay it forward."

"You know, a ticket doesn't help all the time," the officer said. "I've been in a tough situation like this guy before. I figured it'd be better to help him out and just raise more awareness about car safety rather than give him a ticket that would dig him deeper in a hole and make things worse for him.

If only cops were taught to assess people and situations like this. But no, I'm surprised this guy passed the test to become a cop!

I love this thread, man. Good idea. We all need to hear about the good stuff so we don't get so trapped in the sad only, we need to see our human race caring

10. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Shannon For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), AutumnW (28th April 2017), Basho (22nd April 2016), Becky (22nd April 2016), BMJ (15th December 2016), Bubu (27th April 2017), Calz (22nd April 2016), DNA (26th April 2016), Ewan (26th April 2016), justntime2learn (26th April 2016), markoid (26th April 2016), Nasu (26th April 2016), Omni (10th January 2017), Pharos (23rd April 2016), TargeT (22nd April 2016), The Freedom Train (15th December 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

REALLY , thanks for this thread TargeT , I , as i supect many others, have been too focused on ALL the shiddy things happening in the world and got a bit caught up in it , thanks for the reminder there's SO much good things happening

12. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), AutumnW (28th April 2017), BMJ (29th April 2017), Calz (22nd April 2016), DNA (26th April 2016), Ewan (26th April 2016), graciousb (15th January 2021), justntime2learn (26th April 2016), markoid (26th April 2016), Nasu (2nd June 2017), Shannon (24th April 2016), TargeT (22nd April 2016), The Freedom Train (15th December 2016)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

I personally think the whole "Zika" thing was BS... HOWEVER, this is a great outcome from the "scare"... I'm going to look into building something for my neighborhood.

Quote Billboard mimics human sweat to entrap Zika-carrying mosquitoes *(this breed also carries Dengue and Malaria - TargeT)*
    The ad agencies that built it released its blueprint to the public.

A couple of ad agencies in Brazil installed two special billboards in Rio de Janeiro, which don't endorse any kind of good or service. Instead, these billboards were designed to lure and kill Zika-carrying mosquitoes. They attract any Aedes aegypti up to 2.5 miles away by emitting a solution containing lactic acid and carbon dioxide that mimic human sweat and breath, respectively. Once the mosquitoes flock to the billboards, they get sucked inside the glass panel, where they're trapped until they die.

The agencies, Posterscope and NBS, released the installation's technical blueprint online and are encouraging other companies and cities to build their own. It costs around $192 to make one of these billboards. Dr. Chris Jackson, a pest control expert from the University of Southampton, told the BBC that anything that can reduce the prevalence of Zika-carrying mosquitoes is a good thing. The Zika virus continues to threaten the health of pregnant women and their babies in Brazil, after all -- the CDC even confirmed that it causes severe birth defects, including microcephaly. He warns, however, that these types of installations might be more suitable for low-density locations. "[O]therwise," he said, "you're pulling in hungry mosquitoes and providing them with exposed human flesh."
    http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/21/b...ng-mosquitoes/

Blue prints for free here:
    http://cargocollective.com/mosquitokiller/English
    Where are you?

14. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), AutumnW (28th April 2017), bluestflame (22nd April 2016), BMJ (15th December 2016), Calz (22nd April 2016), DNA (26th April 2016), Ewan (26th April 2016), graciousb (15th January 2021), Icare (19th September 2020), JRS (23rd April 2016), justntime2learn (26th April 2016), markoid (26th April 2016), Nasu (2nd June 2017), norman (14th December 2016), Savannah (15th December 2016), seko (14th December 2016), Shannon (24th April 2016), unearth9 (4th May 2016)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Stem cell therapy has been shown to cure.... EVERYTHING!?!

But stemcells them selves were hard to source ethically.

Untill....
    Researchers identify key factor for reprogramming adult cells into stem cells

April 21, 2016

In a new Cell Reports paper, a team led by John P. Cooke, M.D., Ph.D., of the Houston Methodist Research Institute, has identified and characterized a biological factor critical to the transformation of adult somatic cells (cells that are not sperm or egg cells) into stem cells.
    "Think about the cartoon Transformers, where trucks and cars change into robots. We're manipulating genes in the cell nucleus to produce specific proteins, changing the normal recipe for growth and maturation, and transforming adult cells into a new type of cell with the ability to morph into any other cell type," said Cooke, senior author and chair of the Department of Cardiovascular Sciences.
    Called induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), these cells can be differentiated into any somatic cell type, making them a potentially valuable weapon against numerous diseases. Cooke and his colleagues discovered that reactive oxygen species (ROS, also known as oxygen-derived free radicals), play a critical role in nuclear reprogramming. Using a variety of methods to induce somatic cells to become iPSCs, the researchers first found that in the early stages of reprogramming, the transformation was consistently accompanied by an increase in ROS generation.
    "When we used genetic tools to knock out the enzymes controlling ROS generation, or we tied up any generated ROS with antioxidants, we observed a marked reduction in iPSC colony formation," said Cooke. "Conversely, the overproduction of ROS impaired stem cell formation, meaning that optimal iPSC production occurs within a 'Goldilock's zone' of free radical generation—too little or too much and reprogramming shuts down."
    Finally, the researchers discovered that ROS generation subsided as the iPSCs matured, and these mature stem cell colonies survive best in a cellular environment with low levels of ROS. This work is an extension of a 2012 paper in the journal Cell, where Cooke showed that the viruses used to deliver the reprogramming genes were more than just vehicles.
    "What we learned is that the viral vectors played a role in reprogramming. Their activation of innate immune signaling caused epigenetic changes that were absolutely necessary for the transformation of somatic cells into iPSCs," explained Cooke, who holds the Joseph C. "Rusty" Walter and Carole Walter Looke Presidential Distinguished Chair in Cardiovascular Disease Research.
    Innate immune signaling is known to stimulate ROS production, which participates in cell defense. Cooke said the team is developing methods to manipulate innate immune signaling of ROS to maximize the production of iPSCs and better direct their differentiation.
    A better understand of the mechanism by which somatic cells are reprogrammed into pluripotent cells is critical to ongoing work to understand and to treat disease. For example, one can take skin cells come from people with Alzheimer's, revert them to iPSCs, and then differentiate them to neurons so that scientists can study that individual's brain cells. Thus, iPSCs are useful in understanding different disease processes and might also be used to develop regenerative therapies.
    http://phys.org/news/2016-04-key-fac...cells.html#jCp

Life will change dramatically in the next 5-10 years.... all this stuff is coming on so fast!
    Where are you?

16. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), AutumnW (28th April 2017), avid (23rd April 2016), bluestflame (22nd April 2016), BMJ (15th December 2016), Bubu (27th April 2017), Calz (22nd April 2016), Carmody (23rd April 2016), DNA (26th April 2016), Ewan (26th April 2016), Icare (19th September 2020), JRS (23rd April 2016), justntime2learn (26th April 2016), KiwiElf (22nd April 2016), markoid (26th April 2016), Nasu (2nd June 2017), Ol' Roy (22nd April 2016), PathWalker (22nd April 2016), seko (14th December 2016), Shannon (24th April 2016)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

All science, especially publically funded projects should post their data like this.. you never know when a fresh set of eyes will discover something amazing & the more availble stuff like this is the better.

Good job CERN, did something right...

Quote CERN releases 300TB of Large Hadron Collider data into open access

Cancel your plans for this weekend! CERN just dropped 300 terabytes of hot collider data on the world and you know you want to take a look.

Kati Lassila-Perini, a physicist who works on the Compact Muon Solenoid (!) detector, gave a refreshingly straightforward explanation for this huge release.

“Once we’ve exhausted our exploration of the data, we see no reason not to make them available publicly,” she said in a news release accompanying the data. “The benefits are numerous, from inspiring high school students to the training of the particle physicists of tomorrow. And personally, as CMS’s data preservation coordinator, this is a crucial part of ensuring the long-term availability of our research data.”

Amazing that this perspective is not more widely held — though I suspect it is, by the scientists at least, if not the publishers and department heads who must think of the bottom line.

The data itself is from 2011, much of it from protons colliding at 7 TeV (teraelectronvolts, you know) and producing those wonderful fountains of rare particles we all love to fail to understand. All told, it’s about half the total data collected by the CMS detector, and makes up about 2.5 inverse femtobarns. But who’s counting?

There’s both the raw data from the detectors (so you can verify the results) and also “derived” datasets that are more easy to work with — and don’t worry, CERN is providing the tools to do so, as well. There’s a whole CERN Linux environment ready for booting up in a virtual machine, and a bunch of scripts and apps (some are on GitHub, too).

Just messing around in the same computing environment used by researchers plumbing the depths of the universe would be an interesting way to spend a few labs in a college physics course. There are even “masterclasses,” data sets and tools specially curated for high school kids.

This is only the latest of several data dumps, but it’s also by far the largest. A more detailed explanation of the types of data and how they can be accessed is right here.
    http://techcrunch.com/2016/04/22/cer...o-open-access/
    Where are you?

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), BMJ (29th April 2017), Bubu (27th April 2017), DNA (26th April 2016), Eram (17th December 2016), Ewan (26th April 2016), justntime2learn (26th April 2016), markoid (26th April 2016), muxfolder (26th April 2016), Nasu (26th April 2016), Shannon (24th April 2016)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

I'm obviously a terrible thread curator.

This is a great story... the oppressed will only allow it for so long, too bad these types of "push back" don't happen more often.

Quote Tired of abductions, Mexican townsfolk kidnap drug boss' mom
    MEXICO CITY – In one of the stranger chapters of Mexico’s drug war, angry people in a southern town kidnapped the mother of a gang leader to demand the release of their loved ones.

The government of Guerrero state said Tuesday that it was sending about 220 soldiers and police to try to defuse the situation in Totolapan.

The town has been controlled for years by a drug gang boss whose proper name is Raybel Jacobo de Almonte, but who is better known as “El Tequilero.”

De Alamonte has lived up to his nickname, which translates roughly as “The Tequila Drinker.” In his only known public appearance, he was captured on video drinking with the town’s mayor-elect. De Alamonte mumbles inaudibly and has to be held up in a sitting position by one of his henchmen.

In recent months, his gang – also known as the Tequileros – has been fighting turf battles with other gangs in the area. Last week, the Tequileros allegedly kidnapped several inhabitants of Totolapan who they wanted to extort or whom they suspected of supporting a rival.

In response, a few dozen men appeared this week in the streets of Totolapan waving shotguns and hunting rifles. In a video, the men carry banners calling for action against El Tequilero and identify themselves as a “self-defense” force, as vigilantes are known in the region.

“We urgently demand the release of the kidnap victims,” a masked man says in a statement read on the video. “We are a legitimate self-defense force of the people.”

Among the Tequileros’ kidnap victims was a local construction engineer, Isauro de Paz Duque, who was snatched on Sunday by men who had threatened to kill him.

On Monday, a woman who identified herself as De Paz Duque’s wife said on a video that townspeople had El Tequilero’s mother and would exchange the woman for her husband.

“We have your mother here, Mr. Tequilero,” she said. “I propose an exchange: I’ll give you your mother if you give me my husband, but I want him safe and sound.”

The state government said in a statement that a negotiating team had been sent to establish contact with the family of the missing engineer and the vigilantes and to set up a search team.

“The goal of the team is to ensure that no injury is done to the missing person, nor to the mother of the head of the Tequileros gang, who has apparently been taken by the self-defense forces,” the statement said.

The government later confirmed that about five of the two dozen people being held by the vigilantes had been freed, but those freed did not include the gang boss’ mother.

In late November, the Guerrero government said El Tequilero was believed to have been wounded and was hiding out with his kidnap victims in the mountains. The state attorney general headed an extensive manhunt using helicopters and troops on the ground in an unsuccessful effort to locate the gang leader.

The area is a hotbed of drug trafficking, killings and extortion. It is the foot of the mountains that produce much of Mexico’s opium poppy crop.

Totolapan is considered so dangerous that many outlying hamlets in the township have been abandoned by fearful residents. In 2014, the battered body of the parish priest, the Rev. Ascension Acuna Osorio, was found floating in the Balsas river near the town.

The emergence of vigilante groups, also known as self-styled “community police,” has become a headache for Guerrero’s government. Authorities say they understand residents’ frustration but note the groups often wind up kidnapping suspects, fighting among themselves or preventing police from doing their work.

“The truth is, they are not really community forces, nor are they police,” Gov. Hector Astudillo said. “They are armed groups that unfortunately carry out acts … that generate more violence and confrontation, rather than help.”
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/m...tequilero.html
    Where are you?

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), AutumnW (28th April 2017), BMJ (15th December 2016), Cara (15th December 2016), DNA (15th December 2016), fourty-two (15th December 2016), mischief (17th December 2016), Nasu (2nd June 2017), Savannah (15th December 2016), seko (14th December 2016)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,684 times in 640 posts

Indiana town's entire police force quits

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/f...uits/95415740/

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), AutumnW (28th April 2017), BMJ (29th April 2017), DNA (15th December 2016), Icare (19th September 2020), Nasu (2nd June 2017), Noelle (10th January 2017), TargeT (15th December 2016), The Freedom Train (15th December 2016)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

I hope to be able to do this one day... right now I couldn't even skip 1 paycheck.. hahaha

Quote Boys & Girls Club CEO gives back salary

Boys & Girls Club of the Monroe Area CEO Dr. Anthony Tricoli will forego drawing an annual salary from the Boys & Girls Club in an effort to help children attend the club and provide bonuses to the staff.

Boys & Girls Club Board of Directors Chairman Paul Willson has confirmed Tricoli’s decision to give back his salary.

“I think that this is just another great example of Dr. Tricoli’s dedication to our Boys & Girls Club,” Willson told The Advocate & Democrat. “He has always looked to add value to our club, our community, and, most importantly, Monroe County’s children, and this is just another great example of his dedication to serving all those.”

Tricoli said that he will begin giving up his salary at the end of this month.

He recently informed the Boys & Girls Club Board of Directors of his desire to give up his pay.

“It’s not that I don’t need the money; believe me, I need it,” Tricoli said. “But there are others right now who I know need it more than I do. This is my way of helping those in our club who are in need of some assistance just like my family was when I was a kid. Plus, I want assure that our staff members are properly thanked for their work.”

Fundraising for the Boys & Girls Club has been a tough proposition in recent years.

“We know that Monroe County has more non-profit organizations than most communities our size, and those non-profit organizations’ numbers are growing each year here in our county, so the competition for funds is greater now than it has ever been,” Tricoli said in a letter to the Board of Directors. “A year ago, we all worked very hard together (board and staff) to reduce the club’s expenditures and budget by approximately 25 percent.

“At that time, our full-time staff took a 10 percent reduction in their salary, and I took a self-imposed 33 percent salary reduction in order to help some children (families) who do not have the money to pay the fees to attend our club, and to provide the board with some non-discretionary funds to reward our hard working staff with periodic bonuses that frankly, I believe they deserve.”

Tricoli told the board in the letter how much an organization like the Boys & Girls Club means to him on a personal level.

“This organization means a lot to me, especially because of the very similar opportunity I had when I was a child,” he wrote. “You may have already heard this story, so I apologize to those of you who have. But, as a young boy, every day after school and on the weekends I hopped on my stingray bicycle and rode to the Boy’s Club in Fullerton (California). That was for about six years when I was growing up. Then my father fell ill and things changed for my family and me. Nonetheless, I have never forgotten the opportunities the Boys Club provided to me in the way of teaching me how to swim, how to safely use power tools in the workshop, and how to improve my study habits (I also got knocked out twice in the boxing ring — that’s probably why I set my sights on a desk job). For me, the Club was a safe haven, the place where all of the worries I had went away, it was the place where I could just be a kid. ”

Tricoli says it has been exciting for him to see the difference the Boys & Girls Club of the Monroe Area makes in the lives of children.

“In the last four years, I have seen how happy the children are as they fly through the doors of our club every day after school, he said. “They can hardly wait to get inside and see what our staff members have prepared for them in the way of fun and games, or homework help, or art, or leadership opportunity.”
    http://www.advocateanddemocrat.com/n...b7bd4ce56.html

LOTS of good out there, you just have to look a bit harder (for some reason we like the "bad" more)

Last edited by TargeT; 15th December 2016 at 14:01.
    Where are you?

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), AutumnW (28th April 2017), BMJ (15th December 2016), Bob (15th December 2016), conk (15th December 2016), DNA (15th December 2016), greybeard (15th December 2016), Icare (19th September 2020), Nasu (2nd June 2017)

25. Link to Post #13
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Good is so prevalent and normal--the bad gets noticed because it stands out as not normal.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), AutumnW (28th April 2017), BMJ (15th December 2016), DNA (15th December 2016), Icare (19th September 2020), Nasu (2nd June 2017), TargeT (15th December 2016), The Freedom Train (15th December 2016), Wizard Of Ozark (20th July 2017)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Good is so prevalent and normal--the bad gets noticed because it stands out as not normal.

Chris
    I'm sure it's strongly tied to survival as well, we don't need to focus on the good, the good wont kill us... haha but now that we live such safe lives, those same instincts are going a bit haywire...

'The right thing to do': After 89-year-old woman is evicted, neighbor buys back her home

When a Florida woman was evicted from the house she had lived in for decades, neighbors rallied to help, including one who gave her the ultimate gift: she bought back the house.

Angie Tyma moved back into her longtime home in Hudson, Florida, last Tuesday, which happened to be her 89th birthday, after three weeks of staying at a Days Inn hotel. She told TODAY that losing the house was a scary time, but she was glad to be home.

"I went through hell and back," she said. "I've lived in this house for 35 years." Tyma was evicted last month after learning the person she had sold the house to several years earlier, who lives in Europe, had stopped paying the mortgage, and the house went into foreclosure. Despite a warning, Tyma, whose husband died nearly 20 years ago, didn't think she would be tossed onto the streets. "They threw me out," she said. "I couldn't believe it."

Once the neighborhood saw Tyma’s belongings being taken out of the house, they jumped to help. But it was Danielle Calder, who lives a few houses away, who made the decision to buy back the house.

She contacted the company that had purchased it at auction and bought it back for $167,500. Now she’s Tyma’s new landlord.

"Quite honestly, I didn't need another house," Calder, 65, told TODAY. "But I needed her. I couldn't see her living in a motel room... she's been here so long. Everyone looks out for her." alder, who splits her time between Massachusetts and Florida, described Tyma as "the fabric of the neighborhood." Hudson is on Florida's west coast, about an hour north of Tampa. "Everybody knows Angie," she said. "She has two little dogs that she walks. She's an elderly woman, but she's pretty feisty, and she has lots of energy."

Tyma, who now pays rent to Calder (they declined to disclose the amount), said returning home was her best birthday present yet.

"Usually one of my neighbors bakes me a cake every year, but this time, when I got out of the car, and saw all these people, and the media... I was in a state of shock," she said. "I was speechless. I couldn't even talk."
    "I never expected I would make the front page!" she said.

Now Tyma's in the process of making her house a home again.

“I’m unpacking all the boxes. I had a lot of stuff that was broken,” she said. “I’m cleaning.” She added that she's grateful for Calder, whom she called a "very good friend and a good neighbor."

As for Calder, she just wanted to help.

"It was the right thing to do," she said. “We’re family — the whole neighborhood.”
    http://www.today.com/kindness/florid...victed-t105755
    Where are you?

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), AutumnW (28th April 2017), BMJ (15th December 2016), Bob (15th December 2016), fourty-two (15th December 2016), greybeard (15th December 2016), Icare (19th September 2020), Nasu (2nd June 2017), peggy englebrake (27th June 2017), The Freedom Train (15th December 2016)

29. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Chris
    And because the media perpetuate the negative stories to keep the fear agenda perking.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), AutumnW (28th April 2017), BMJ (29th April 2017), graciousb (15th January 2021), Icare (19th September 2020), Nasu (2nd June 2017), TargeT (15th December 2016)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by conk (here)

Chris
    And because the media perpetuate the negative stories to keep the fear agenda perking.
    Fear.. the #1 human motivator that works on the lowest, most basic level of our brains....

But when Fear is baseless & not just for our immediate survival:

(there's some good lessons in our entertainment, at times)

Here's some great news, especially in light of this:

Quote Dementia will soon be controlled just like HIV, says research institute

Alzheimer's may in some cases be as manageable as HIV/Aids by 2025, the head of Britain's new Dementia Research Institute (DRI) predicts.

Professor Bart De Strooper said he hoped to see a time in the near future when the condition could be stabilised even if it proved impossible to cure.

There is even a chance that the brain could re-wire itself and restore lost mental ability once progress of the disease has been halted, he believes.Speaking after the announcement of his appointment as director of the £250 million UK DRI, the world-renowned Belgian neuroscientist told the Press Association: “We won't be celebrating in 2025 that dementia is cured, but I hope that by then there will be groups of patients who can be treated in much the same way HIV-Aids is treated today.

“I believe it will happen. I'm very optimistic - the brain is the most plastic organ we have. If you could stabilise the disease at an early stage it might be possible to regain part of the function that seems to be lost.”Prof De Strooper, who is putting together a multi-disciplinary team of doctors, biologists, engineers and data specialists working from centres across the UK, said he hoped to see “real surprises”.

He added: “I'm a scientist so I don't look into crystal balls but I would put a lot of money on saying that the next generation will have a completely different view of dementia disorders.

“In just the same way Aids in the 1970s and 80s was seen as a terrible doom or punishment of the gods, but is now manageable and treatable. Cancer has gone through a similar process - the way we look at cancer today is quite different from what it was a generation ago.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7473256.html
    Last edited by TargeT; 15th December 2016 at 18:20.
    Where are you?

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), BMJ (29th April 2017), conk (15th December 2016), graciousb (15th January 2021), Nasu (2nd June 2017)

33. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Yoda as spiritual master! Love it.

You've seen it before, but it's so true. FEAR: False Energy Appearing Real
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), BMJ (29th April 2017), Icare (19th September 2020), Nasu (2nd June 2017), TargeT (15th December 2016)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Japan and Russia agree to joint economic use of the Kiril Islands, discuss finally signing a peace treaty to end World War 2!

Quote Putin, Abe agree on joint Russia-Japan activities on Kuril Islands
    Vladimir Putin and Japanese PM Shinzo Abe have worked out a statement on the prospects of joint Russian-Japanese economic activities in the South Kuril Islands as the Russian leader arrived in Japan for what’s seen as a breakthrough visit. The two leaders dedicated 40 minutes from their three-hour talks in Abe’s ancestral hometown of Nagato, a mountainside resort in southwest Japan, on Thursday. The time was spent to develop an agreement on joint activities on the Kuril Islands “that would be suitable to both parties,” Yury Ushakov, the Kremlin aide, told reporters.

Putin and Abe had to discuss the issue one-on-one after Russian and Japanese experts failed to agree on the wording of the statement, he added.

According to Ushakov, the statement on joint Russian-Japanese economic activities in the South Kuril Islands, which may concern fisheries, tourism, culture and medicine, will be published tomorrow.

Abe told reporters the leaders “thoroughly and frankly discussed the issues of free access to their homeland by former residents of the islands, joint economic activities between the two countries with a special economic zone on the islands, as well as the issue of a peace treaty."

Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov later stressed that the Japanese side had no objections to working in the framework of Russian law in the Kurils.

“The issue of sovereignty [of the South Kuril Islands] wasn’t raised in any way. It’s not up for discussion here,” Peskov said.

Tokyo’s claims on Russia’s Southern Kuril Islands of Kunashir, Shikotan, Habomai and Iturup, which Japan calls "the Northern Territories," is one of the reasons for frosty relations between Russia and Japan. The two countries still haven’t signed a peace treaty after World War II because of the lingering territorial dispute.
    Putin and Abe also agreed to restore military cooperation between the two countries as well as ties in the spheres “frozen” in recent years, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said Thursday.

It was agreed to resume “2+2” ministerial talks, which would involve meetings between foreign ministers and defense ministers of both nations, he explained.

According to Lavrov, the Japanese side has become more aware of Russia’s worries over US global missile defense system and its increased presence in the Asia-Pacific region, which Moscow views as “inadequate to the threat posed by North Korea’s nuclear and missile programs.”“Naturally, they [Putin and Abe] exchanged views on the Syrian settlement and situation in Ukraine….. Here our positions almost coincide," he added.
    Putin offered Fugu fish , invited to Nagato hot springs

The first day of Putin’s visit concluded with a traditional "Kaiseku" meal, which reportedly included Fugu, a Japanese delicacy prepared from the poisonous puffer fish that requires the chef to have a special license for cooking.

To celebrate Putin’s visit to the Island – his last trip was 11 years ago - local schools in reportedly served borsch and pirogi, which are common in Russian cuisine.

After the dinner, the two leaders were expected to visit a hot springs resort in Nagato. Abe invited Putin to take a dip in the onsen, a traditional steaming bath.

"When you take a bath in the springs, all the fatigue just goes away," he told the Russian leader. In response Putin said: “As interesting as that sounds, it's better not to get too tired."

The day was concluded with stargazing at a local observatory.The two also exchanged memorable gifts, with Putin presenting Abe with a vintage "samovar," a traditional Russian coal-fueled tea maker, produced in Tula in 1870. Another present was a painting by contemporary Russian artist Igor Razzhivin, entitled "A Russian Troika in Kolomenskoye Village."

Abe responded with a very symbolic gift, which was a high-tech replica of the painting called "The Arrival of Putyatin." Russian Admiral Yevfimy Putyatin and Japanese official Toshikara Kawazi signed the Japanese-Russian treaty of friendship and established diplomatic relations back in 1855.

The second day of Putin’s visit will see the Russian leader travelling to Tokyo for the continuation of talks on Friday. The negotiations are expected to end with agreements on closer economic and cultural cooperation, while there is little expectation of a breakthrough on the territorial dispute over the Kuril Islands.
    https://www.rt.com/news/370452-putin...s-japan-talks/
    Where are you?

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), AutumnW (28th April 2017), Ba-ba-Ra (27th April 2017), BMJ (29th April 2017), Cara (17th December 2016), graciousb (15th January 2021), Icare (19th September 2020), Nasu (2nd June 2017)

37. Link to Post #19
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,482 times in 1,331 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    Japan and Russia agree to joint economic use of the Kiril Islands, discuss finally signing a peace treaty to end World War 2!
    Thanks for the details on this, @Target.

Joseph P. Farrell's latest weekly News and Views from the Nefarium is on this topic:

Quote Well...it's finally happening... Vladimir Putin has become the first Russian head of state to visit Japan. But there's something lurking between the lines of this article:

'Onsen summit': Vladimir Putin meets with Japan's Shinzo Abe to 'heal rifts'
    *I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), AutumnW (28th April 2017), Ba-ba-Ra (27th April 2017), BMJ (29th April 2017), Icare (19th September 2020), TargeT (17th December 2016)

39. Link to Post #20
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 times in 262 posts

I've seen plenty of similar initiatives around the world lately.

Agrihood

First Urban ‘Agrihood’ In America Feeds 2,000 Households For Free

Quote As a matter of fact, enough food is produced around the world to feed 10 billion people. However, because 70% of the mono crops which are grown are feed livestock intended for slaughter, a distribution problem exists

40. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dim For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd June 2017), AutumnW (28th April 2017), Ba-ba-Ra (27th April 2017), BMJ (29th April 2017), Cara (18th December 2016), Icare (19th September 2020), Nasu (2nd June 2017), Noelle (10th January 2017), raregem (15th November 2017), TargeT (17th December 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast