+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beautiful Discovery Found On MARS

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default Beautiful Discovery Found On MARS

Part one:

When I first began researching images of the surface on Mars, a little over three years ago, I had no idea what I expected to find. I intentionally did not set myself a target of prescribed expectations.
    What I did decree, was to try to “imagine the unexpected”. After all, anything alien seen from 250km above the surface would probably be unrecognizable, or so I thought.

So going about this with some discipline, if a group or pattern of pixels observed that seemed inconsistent with its natural surrounding, I had to try and recognize any possible artistic translation (of a form) or, even a possible “function” no matter how bizarre the data set appeared to be. Then, using A priori as aprinciple, deduce if there was any further congruency in its evident form.

A simple example of this would be; if I observed five separate piles of rocks that formed a cohesive neighborhood pattern of: a pile of 2 rocks, then a pile of 3 rocks, then a pile of 5 rocks, then a pile of 7 rocks, then a pile of 11 rocks and then predicted a continuance of further piles of 13, 17, 19, 23 and so on, I could then deduce a pattern based in design and not of natural processes. The common denominator that connected data points was the key to probable design. Moreover, the prediction of a connective data set (features) would be critical as - a posteriori

In the case of the famous face at Cydonia, the late Dr. Tom Van Flandern explains this same principle. However, the catch in his research became painfully evident inasmuch as the quality of the image data of the famous face, did not allow a definative evaluation and is still argued even today. So image quality in terms of clear resolution also played a significant part of the equation in defining artificiality...or not.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B--...ew?usp=sharing

After discovering some intriguing landforms along the giant 90 mile long Mesa inside Hebes Chasma, I went to the HiRISE site and saw there were several 2 and 3D super large images available for download of some of the very deepest areas on the planet.

What was interesting, was that Hebes Chasma is not just a mere canyon but what is known as a “TROUGH” meaning there is no “inlet or outlet” typically found in the production of a canyon created by a river and the consequent water erosion.

Hebes Chasma is in fact a giant 200 mile long 5 mile deep “sink hole!” In the center, was a massive, steeply sided island about the same height as the surrounding rim. What an amazing “Moat and Castle” I thought to myself...hmmm. The more I looked at this place, the more I sensed something but could not put my finger on it.

So, was there anything in this huge hole in the ground even worth exploring?….Was there ever!

Low resolution image of Hebes Chasma -

Anaglyph -

In late March 2013, I downloaded one of the most spectacular images taken to date (imo) by the reconnaissance orbiter which was captured on October 22, 2010 at 2.15pm local time as the spacecraft flew past at 176 miles above the rim. Here is a low resolution .jpeg of that image.

Now when I first looked at this image, it made no sense at all as I could not figure out which was up and which was down. This is a common problem when viewing HiRISE images of the surface as the camera takes images in “strips”….and the top is not necessarily “north”. Now add to that, is also the “dynamics” of the topography! So you have some additional work to do, to make sense relative to one's “line of sight” as it were.

The JP2000 file was just too large to rotate inside the software, but below here is the very low resolution image turned 55% where now, you can begin to see the “shape of the landscape” and just how steep the terrain is as it drops down to what is leftover of an ancient shoreline at the very bottom of the chasma some 5 miles down from the rim above, way outside of this picture.

To make things even more visually agreeable, I've clipped the area where that near vertical shoreline meets the very edge of where the liquid line (presumably water) once touched one and other.

At this point in the story, I would like to try and tell what happened next as I find it somewhat hard to explain.

As I sat there with the image in front of me on my computer screen rotated as you see it above, I began to freeze up, like I was mildly paralyzed. Certainly not being able to move my mouse hand I panicked just a bit and remember feeling my heart taking dump if you catch my drift. As I looked at the image, I felt a sense of being connected somehow. It was very strange and a first time experience in my life.

Anyway, the next challenge was to try and take a closer look at that ancient shoreline in high definition and especially those huge “gouges” in the steep cliff side.

But rotating the high definition image (nearly 1.5gigs!) was just a bugger to do, as the depth of detail and clarity embedded in the file was extremely high prohibiting image rotation for some unknown reason? But as they say; “where there's a will….”.
    Last edited by M-Albion-3D; 25th May 2016 at 17:36.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to M-Albion-3D For This Post:

Atlas (25th May 2016), Citizen No2 (25th May 2016), cursichella1 (26th May 2016), ElfeMya (25th May 2016), Foxie Loxie (27th May 2016), justntime2learn (25th May 2016), kirolak (25th May 2016), ks4ever (25th May 2016), Matthew (30th May 2016), ZooLife (25th May 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Beautiful Discovery Found On MARS

Based on the available scale on the top right, the distance from top to bottom of the image was roughly 15km as the crow flies.

So the next thing was to get a close up of one of those shoreline gouges but in high definition.

On the high side up from the waters edge about a ˝ a mile, were these two oddly shaped gouges where, at the very tip of the left seen below, something caught my eye. In the very apex, it looked as though the gouge had been purposely sliced or scooped away from solid rock.

Being a bit of a closet Geologist, it struck me that both the gouges appeared to have a “precision cut” into the steep face of the cliff inconsistent with the natural process of “Mass Wasting”, the edges were too clean. Each edge was refined almost intentionally as though it had been “shaped” as part of a whole….but what?

A pair of ears perhaps?

So then I made a prediction. If...these huge gouges were in fact a pair of ears, then if I made my way down the predicted forehead, I should land on an eye and then possibly a nose.

So I moved the window over with my mouse down and stopped.

There before me...was a round rock totally on it's own in precisely the correct location! Not too far up and not too far down the brow. And not even another single round rock anywhere to be found – wow! And...a little further down into the corner of the image, there was the defined nostril radius right at the tip of the snout - perfectly placed!

At this point, my hands began to sweat just a bit...this was exciting. Had I found something here, was there more to this, an animal of sorts, so I quickly reloaded the large image and zoomed in to take an “area view”. It was then, I just about fell off my seat in a puddle of groans.

There before my eyes, was the perfect shape of a proportionate donkey-like animal precisely “gouged” into the side of this immense cliff side. Radiating were the legs, tail and belly complete with textured fur and even udders. The legs were proportionate as to define two sets - front and back. The animal's back, and rear rump were there, all correct and proportional. In addition, the animal appeared tied to a possible post or fence. Even a feed bag around its neck – A DOMESTIC ANIMAL!

Highlighted in brown for definition

We are lucky to have a stereo file which allows the image to create a 3D anaglyph. In 3D we begin to see just how this immense animal has been carved into the cliff side. Visible here are the gouges that comprise the animals under belly. The contrived scoops have been deliberately gouged into the cliff by a means unknown and are clearly not from natural processes – astonishing!

If...”SEEING IS BELEIVING, THEN...3D IS CONFIRMING”

In order to get a sense of scale here, I've targeted the tip of the scoop to the top far left in the image above.

In the image below, the area is magnified and the red marker is indicative of the size of a person standing next to that scoop edge.

Now, if all this was just a Donkey in a cliff side, I could think, well….possibly a coincidence...maybe?

There would need to be more to satisfy the nay-Sayers. In order to go beyond, way beyond even the famous face at Cydonia. There needed to be confirmation.

And, as it turned out...THIS WAS JUST THE BEGINNING!

Part Two to Follow.
    Last edited by M-Albion-3D; 7th June 2016 at 14:40.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to M-Albion-3D For This Post:

Atlas (25th May 2016), Aurelius (26th May 2016), Citizen No2 (25th May 2016), cursichella1 (26th May 2016), ElfeMya (25th May 2016), fourty-two (27th May 2016), Foxie Loxie (27th May 2016), ghostrider (26th May 2016), justntime2learn (25th May 2016), kirolak (25th May 2016), Matthew (30th May 2016), Sunny-side-up (26th May 2016), wnlight (25th May 2016), ZooLife (25th May 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 times in 575 posts

Thank you Mal,

what an excellent thread............ The possibilities are mind-blowing!

Regards.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Citizen No2 For This Post:

Atlas (25th May 2016), fourty-two (27th May 2016), justntime2learn (25th May 2016), M-Albion-3D (25th May 2016), ZooLife (25th May 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

Using stereo image data from ESA's Mars Express, German Aerospace Center (DLR) scientists created this highly accurate view of the terrain fictional astronaut "Mark Watney"(played by Matt Damon) would of had to traverse to find his way home.

Where 'The Martian' Roved: Fly-Over From Orbital Images

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

cursichella1 (26th May 2016), fourty-two (27th May 2016), justntime2learn (25th May 2016), M-Albion-3D (25th May 2016), sirjames (3rd May 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Atlas (here)
    Using stereo image data from ESA's Mars Express, German Aerospace Center (DLR) scientists created this highly accurate view of the terrain fictional astronaut "Mark Watney"(played by Matt Damon) would of had to traverse to find his way home.

Where 'The Martian' Roved: Fly-Over From Orbital Images
    Hey Atlas, great post. The video from DLR is pretty accurate except for one thing, the color is off. But that doesn't surprize me as both NASA and ESA beleive the "public out there" still think Indian's are bright red and the sky is pink!

This image is a comparison from a clip in the video. I've reset the video back to the correct color and can be viewed here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B--...ew?usp=sharing

Oh, and I've changed that music too, hope that's ok?

Come on NASA/ESA we're all grown up now...we know Mars IS NOT RED AND THE SKY IS BLUE....GEEZE!
    Last edited by M-Albion-3D; 25th May 2016 at 23:46.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M-Albion-3D For This Post:

Atlas (25th May 2016), cursichella1 (26th May 2016), fourty-two (27th May 2016), Foxie Loxie (27th May 2016), korgh (20th June 2016), sirjames (3rd May 2017)

+ Reply to Thread