+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst 1 27 37 47 63 LastLast

Thread: The UK Brexit vote to leave the EU

1. Link to Post #721
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,172 times in 13,485 posts

Default Re: The UK Brexit vote to leave the EU

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    To be honest Itssomewhat disappointing that there is not a spread of posting on the thread.
    This subject is very important to the future of the UK.
    If similar happened in The USA there would be an avalanche of posts.
    How am I to learn anything about different view points on this
    There is a wealth of information on exiting without a deal and the consequences of this.
    Very little media on the benefits at least not readily available on Yahoo.
    Chris
    Brexit is about sovereignty of nations. This sovereignty does not exclude negociating with other nations on a given issue.

The EU is not about sovereignty, but instead it is about top-down control.
    If EU leaders had shown more willingness to communicate and negociate with member governments it would never have come for a need to leave.

Even their unwillingness to accept a no-deal departure shows how crooked and disrespectful they are.
    No way can there ever be a Union if there is oppression.
    The EU needs to start over from scratch, with a different election process altogether, that listens to the voices from all levels, including the grassroots.
    There ya go, Chris. My input.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

avid (14th August 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (14th August 2019), boja (14th August 2019), greybeard (14th August 2019), kfm27917 (18th August 2019), Matthew (14th August 2019)

3. Link to Post #722
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

I had to look up the word stoicism avid--I have to thank you.
    Yes there might be an avalanche of conflicting opinions if more posted, but for all that I wish people would join this thread --opinion with respect is a good thing.
    Best wishes
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

avid (14th August 2019)

5. Link to Post #723
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,318 times in 4,085 posts

Quote Posted by YoYoYo (here)
    I have to say for the record it's sad to see this thread fill up with non stop cut and pasted main stream articles, because they have exactly the same bias as all main stream news, and are really easy to find already. You don't need to go to a special forum to find them
    Hi avid, I hear you. But I stand by this I posted before, it sums it up best as I can express it

Edit: or rename the thread to yahoo Brexit news archive, this idea fits and is ...fair
    Last edited by Matthew; 14th August 2019 at 16:59.

6. Link to Post #724
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I have to say for the record it's sad to see this thread fill up with non stop cut and pasted main stream articles, because they have exactly the same bias as all main stream news, and are really easy to find already. You don't need to go to a special forum to find them
    Hi avid, I hear you. But I stand by this I posted before, it sums it up best as I can express it

Edit: or rename the thread to yahoo Brexit news archive, this idea fits and is ...fair
    Its not my thread so I cant change the title YoYoYo.
    I have no objection what so ever to a change in the name of the thread--you could request one to the moderators.
    One other thing--the subject is important and I wanted to keep it upfront--believe you me if others had taken the time to post I would have posted a lot less.
    What ever way it goes it will have consequences that are far reaching.

Thanks for your post Ulli which is appropriate and the truth.

Chris

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

avid (14th August 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (14th August 2019), ulli (15th August 2019)

8. Link to Post #725
    Language
    English
    Thanks

It wasn't a request to you to change the thread title greybeard, where did you get that idea from? (lol)

It was a cynical jibe too close to the truth

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

greybeard (14th August 2019)

10. Link to Post #726
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,754 times in 978 posts

UK 'first in line' for US trade deal, says John Bolton

13 August 2019

Attachment 41395

The UK is "first in line" for a trade deal with the US, President Trump's national security adviser has said.

John Bolton said the US supported a no-deal Brexit and added Washington would propose an accelerated series of trade deals.

Mr Bolton claimed deals could be done on a "sector-by-sector" basis, with an agreement on manufacturing made first.

However, critics warned the UK would have to give in to some US demands in return for any trade agreement.

His comments came after meeting Prime Minister Boris Johnson at No 10.

According to Mr Bolton, a bilateral agreement or "series of agreements" could be carved out "very quickly, very straight-forwardly".

A trade deal for financial services and agriculture would not be the first to be agreed, he added.

Mr Bolton said "doing it in pieces" was not unprecedented and the US understood the importance of doing as much as possible as rapidly as possible before the 31 October exit date.

He said there would be enthusiastic bipartisan support in Congress for speedy ratification at each stage.

Mr Johnson said there "all sorts" of opportunities for UK business in the US, particularly service companies, but the negotiations will be a "tough old haggle".

"The single biggest deal we need to do is a free trade deal agreement with our friends and partners over the Channel," he said.

But Nancy Pelosi, who leads the Democrats in the US House of Representatives, said in April that a US-UK trade deal would not be "on the cards" if Brexit damaged the Good Friday peace agreement in Northern Ireland.

Asked whether his proposed plan would follow World Trade Organisation rules, Mr Bolton said "our trade negotiators seem to think it is".

And he insisted the UK was "constantly at the front of the trade queue" for the Trump administration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49325620

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter UK For This Post:

avid (14th August 2019), greybeard (14th August 2019), Matthew (14th August 2019), ulli (15th August 2019)

12. Link to Post #727
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Jeremy Corbyn urges opposition leaders and Tory rebels to help oust PM

Labour leader claims Johnson has no mandate for no-deal Brexit and calls for caretaker government

Rowena Mason Deputy political editor

Thu 15 Aug 2019 00.00 BST
    First published on Wed 14 Aug 2019 22.30 BST

Jeremy Corbyn has called on rebel Tories and opposition leaders to stop a no-deal Brexit by ousting Boris Johnson as prime minister and allowing Labour to form a caretaker government until a general election.

The Labour leader proposed that he should lead a temporary administration on a “strictly time-limited” basis with the aim of calling a general election.

His letter threw down the gauntlet to the Lib Dems, the SNP, Plaid Cymru, the Greens and rebel Tories, at a time when MPs opposed to no deal have been discussing a “national unity government” led by a centrist figure.

Corbyn’s proposal makes it clear that the Labour frontbench consider he is the only politician who could lead a caretaker government, rather than a backbench candidate such as Tory veteran Ken Clarke or Labour’s Yvette Cooper.

Jo Swinson, the leader of the Lib Dems, immediately dismissed the idea that Corbyn could be a caretaker prime minister, saying: “Jeremy Corbyn is not the person who is going to be able to build an even temporary majority in the House of Commons for this task – I would expect there are people in his own party and indeed the necessary Conservative backbenchers who would be unwilling to support him. It is a nonsense.”

But others were more amenable with the SNP and Plaid Cymru responding to say they would be willing to enter talks, although Liz Saville Roberts, the Plaid leader, said it was “extremely disappointing” that Corbyn would not support a second referendum first and general election second.

Caroline Lucas, the Green MP, agreed with Plaid Cymru that the offer of talks was welcome but she argued “holding a general election before a people’s vote is the wrong way around”.

Ian Blackford, the SNP leader in Westminster, who had previously asked Corbyn to join talks, said: “I am pleased to receive his letter today confirming that Labour will now work with the SNP and others collaboratively to stop the UK government – but this means Labour needs to get off the fence on Brexit.”

The others approached for talks were Dominic Grieve, Caroline Spelman, Oliver Letwin and former Conservative Nick Boles, but not any of the Independent Group for Change UK MPs, independent or other former Labour MPs who have left the party. Grieve said he would be “considering it with colleagues” but several Conservative would-be rebels told the Guardian they could not contemplate a national unity government that made Corbyn prime minister.

In his letter, Corbyn said: “This government has no mandate for no deal, and the 2016 EU referendum provided no mandate for no deal. I therefore intend to table a vote of no confidence at the earliest opportunity when we can be confident of success.

“Following a successful vote of no confidence in the government, I would then, as leader of the opposition, seek the confidence of the House for a strictly time-limited temporary government with the aim of calling a general election, and securing the necessary extension of article 50 to do so.”
    Labour bloc plans 'radical' move to push through Brexit deal
    Read more

The Labour leader said he was offering talks with MPs across the parties in order to build support for a vote of no confidence in the government, although he did not say when this would be brought. The Labour leadership’s argument is that if MPs are serious about stopping a no-deal Brexit then they will have to get behind his plan.

The opposition could attempt an immediate vote in the first week of September in the hope an election could be fitted in before Brexit deadline day of October 31, but it is not clear there is yet enough support from Conservative backbenchers for this to be successful.

Corbyn’s letter came on a dramatic day in parliamentary recess, as Johnson ramped up his rhetoric against MPs who are working to block a no-deal Brexit.

The prime minister was accused of echoing the rhetoric of the second world war as he said some MPs were in “terrible collaboration” with the EU to prevent the UK leaving on 31 October.

His comments were an apparent swipe at Philip Hammond, the former chancellor, who on Tuesday wrote with 19 colleagues to the prime minister accusing him of setting the bar too high for a deal with the EU and warning that crashing out without a deal would be a betrayal of the referendum result

One Conservative MP, Guto Bebb, said Johnson’s language was “despicable” and “absolutely disgraceful” in light of threats made to some MPs over the issue of Brexit and the murder of Labour’s Jo Cox.

However, Downing Street sources said Johnson had simply been trying to make the point that the EU is “looking at what is happening here and getting the entirely wrong message that parliament is somehow going to block Brexit on 31 October”, which he claims will make Brussels less likely to offer concessions.

On a Facebook live stream, while answering pre-selected questions from the public, Johnson conceded that the chances are a no-deal Brexit are now becoming more likely, while dismissing the idea that MPs will be able to stop him.

In a sign that Whitehall preparations are stepping up, the Department of Health and Social Care announced a £25m contract to set up an “express freight service” to deliver medicines and medical products into the country in the event of a no-deal Brexit, potentially lasting for up to two years.

MPs are deeply divided over how and whether it is possible to stop no deal on 31 October but most Conservatives battling that outcome would rather start with legislative options to prevent the UK from crashing out. The primary method would be to amend legislation to mandate the prime minister to seek an extension.

What the Tories refer to as the “nuclear option” is a vote of confidence in the prime minister, which could bring down the government and give rebels a 14 day period to form a new administration to ask for an extension from the EU. They are also looking at the possibility of trying to use this period to force Johnson as prime minister to seek an extension from the EU, without ousting him from No 10.

If no MP can win a confidence vote in the fortnight after the first vote, then a general election is triggered. Johnson refused on Wednesday to rule out the idea that he could simply schedule an election for after 31 October, when the UK is due to leave with or without a deal.

“I think the British public have had a lot of elections and electoral events,” he said when asked if would call one for the days after Brexit. “There was the election in 2015, the referendum in 2016, another election in 2017. I think what they want us to do is get on and deliver Brexit on 31 October. I never tire of telling you that’s what we’re going to do.”

Corbyn wrote to Mark Sedwill, the cabinet secretary, last week demanding that he intervene to make clear the prime minister would not be allowed to do that under purdah rules, which restrict policy-making during election periods. Sedwill replied on Wednesday declining to clarify the purdah rules, saying they would be applied according to the circumstances.

A No 10 spokesman responded to Corbyn’s letter saying there was a “a clear choice: either Jeremy Corbyn as prime minister who will overrule the referendum and wreck the economy, or Boris Johnson as prime minister who will respect the referendum and deliver more money for the NHS and more police on our streets”.

‘This government believes the people are the masters and votes should be respected, Jeremy Corbyn believes that the people are the servants and politicians can cancel public votes they don’t like,” he added.

The Yahoo news well not exactly.
    It comes through Yahoo and other search engins but its usualy sourced from main stream news papers this from the Guardian which claims to be truly independent
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...o-help-oust-pm

Chris

13. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (16th August 2019)

14. Link to Post #728
    Language
    English
    Thanks

THE SUN SAYS Philip Hammond hangs around like a bad smell only to sabotage another PM and kill Brexit
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/972549...boris-johnson/

The Sun

15 Aug 2019, 1:37

Rotten Ham

LIKE a particularly unpleasant smell, it appears Philip Hammond is intent on hanging around.

Yes, the human sleeping pill is back, continuing the work that so endeared him to the country during the three years he spent in the Treasury: undermining our negotiations in Brussels, attaching ludicrous conditions to the 2016 Referendum and talking the country down.
    Philip Hammond is intent on sabotaging a SECOND Government trying to deliver Brexit

A nation yesterday sighed in unison as he mounted another assault on the possibility of Britain leaving the EU with a clean break. Plague and pestilence, imminent recession, everything short of

the apocalypse itself. He morphs ever more into a 21st century Grim Reaper with every passing day.

The former Chancellor’s failure to prepare for No Deal in the Treasury is, more than anything else, the very reason that we’re still stuck in Brexit limbo.

Brussels knew that with him holding the country’s financial levers, there was no way we’d be ready to leave with a clean break. So they pushed, and pushed, and pushed Theresa May until she was forced to accept a terrible deal and the hated backstop.

For those who think our judgment harsh, we are confident that history will be even punchier.

And now, with a Government that actually believes Britain can prosper outside the EU, he’s back to blow up another attempt at negotiations.

Brussels will be watching his Eeyore act and calculating that Parliament will be able to stop No Deal. The odious toad of a Speaker John Bercow is sure to help out, as he confirmed yesterday.

The Eurocrats will gamble they don’t need to renegotiate the deal, and British Remainers — like the former Chancellor — will push for the Second Referendum they’ve wanted from the off.

It takes some political skill to sabotage two different Governments in the space of a couple of years, but Hammond seems keen to see if he can manage it. If he’s successful this time, he risks a historic constitutional crisis and Jeremy Corbyn in Downing Street. It doesn’t bear thinking about.

The sooner he moves on from public life the better.
    Trading blows

WE trust the Remainers who cheered the UK’s negative growth figures last week will be equally thrilled that Germany appears headed to recession. No? Hmm.

The news comes as Irish consumer confidence has fallen to the lowest level in years. We take no glee in any of this.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

avid (15th August 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (16th August 2019)

16. Link to Post #729
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,172 times in 13,485 posts

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

avid (15th August 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (16th August 2019), boja (15th August 2019), Deux Corbeaux (17th August 2019), Ernie Nemeth (15th August 2019), greybeard (15th August 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (17th August 2019)

18. Link to Post #730
    United States Avalon Member Ba-ba-Ra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,315 times in 1,567 posts

Something to consider:

Have Trump and Boris made a deal to trap the Central Banks

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ba-ba-Ra For This Post:

BMJ (22nd August 2019), greybeard (16th August 2019)

20. Link to Post #731
    Language
    English
    Thanks

My Son Stephen was round today, he has his own business installing Kitchens and Bathrooms--many of the components used come from other countries.
    I asked his point of view on Brexit.

From the point of view of his business it would be better to stay in the CM.
    If so he would not vote for Home Rule for Scotland if that comes up.

However if Brexit happens then he would vote for an independent Scotland.
    He said Scotland would be welcomed with open arms and be given excellent trade terms to show England what its missing.

I have never discussed Brexit or Politics with Stephen so his response was without any bias to any thoughts he might think I had about the subject.

Ive already voiced my thoughts on a border between Scotland and England--not a good idea.
    So that must also apply to a hard border between North and South in Ireland.

Boris has not, to my knowledge, fully addressed what would happen in an instant Brexit without a deal, with regard to this border which would be needed as far as I can see day one of exit.

Chris

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

avid (16th August 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (16th August 2019), Deux Corbeaux (17th August 2019), Matthew (16th August 2019)

22. Link to Post #732
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I can happily agree there are good things about the European project

But the vote has been had, the result was brexit

It's not so much about in or out any more; it's more about the integrity of democracy.

If your son voted against Scottish independence, or will vote for independence... I sincerely hope the referendum result will be honoured in either case

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (16th August 2019), greybeard (16th August 2019)

24. Link to Post #733
    Language
    English
    Thanks

We are in agreement YoYoYo
    Its about the integrity of democracy and the honesty there in.
    I dont think people voted for a no deal exit--they were promised all kind of things before the referendum so not surprisingly they voted to leave.

If I was for voting I would probably voted to leave given the information of that time.
    Now its a total mess.

The AA prayer is my bedrock.
    "God grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change
    Courage to change the things I can
    And Wisdom to know the difference."

Basically this situation has a life of its own--there is nothing I can do about it so Im fully in acceptance of the end result regardless of how it goes.

Chris

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (16th August 2019), Deux Corbeaux (17th August 2019), Matthew (16th August 2019), ulli (16th August 2019)

26. Link to Post #734
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Ha yes, it is a total mess. Nothing is quite what it seems, I'm sure. There are both good and undesirable consequences both ways, and the best hope any side has is in the hands of people no one trust or likes. I blame them humans, it's their fault. I should start a thread about it.

ehem and back in the thread.

I will put my opinion forward that brexiteers knew what they were voting for, and the argument that they didn't is something remainers say a lot.

Every deal has 'walk away' underpinning it, or it is tyranny. I've walked away from all sorts of things, it's an important part of freedom. This concept simply does not compute in the tyrannical model of the EU. In a video I posted above, in this thread, by Mahyar Tousi catches the creep of tyranny in a some EU legislation passed recently

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

greybeard (16th August 2019)

28. Link to Post #735
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Most people don't want a no-deal Brexit, poll reveals
    Yahoo News UK Ellen Manning,Yahoo News UK

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/most-peopl...090631223.html

The majority of the public don’t want a no-deal Brexit, a new poll suggests.

Just 34% of voters want Boris Johnson to stick to his vow of taking Britain out of the EU without a deal if necessary on October 31, a poll for The Independent revealed.

The poll of 1,515 adults, carried out by BMG Research, also revealed that nearly half of voters (49%) want the Prime Minister to either delay or cancel Brexit or stage a fresh referendum.

Just one in five people (19%) believe Mr Johnson will manage to negotiate a fresh deal, while only 7% want an extension to Article 50 to be used to try to reach a deal, suggesting many people think it’s unlikely.
    Young activists from Our Future, Our Choice held a protest outside the Scottish Conservative's HQ in Edinburgh to warn that a no-deal Brexit threatens the future of the Union

According to the poll, carried out by BMG Research, 20% of people back a Final Say referendum, with 22% in favour of revoking Article 50 to scrap Brexit.

Opponents of a no-deal Brexit have used the poll as evidence that Mr Johnson - who has vowed to take Britain out of Europe on October 31 “do or die” - doesn’t have a mandate to leave without a deal.

Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson told the Independent: “A no-deal Brexit must be taken off the table.

“Not only, as the poll shows, is there no public support for it, it is also incredibly irresponsible for any government to pursue something that will result in job losses, damage to our economy and hit our public services.”

The poll comes as a secret document revealed that the German government thinks Britain will leave without a deal because of the impossibility of an agreement over the Irish backstop.

Boris Johnson is expected to meet the leaders of Germany and France ahead of next weekend’s European Council in an attempt to reach an agreement.

29. Link to Post #736
    Language
    English
    Thanks

No-deal Brexit will cause food shortages, ports chaos and hard Irish border, claims government leak
    Yahoo News UK Ross McGuinness,Yahoo News UK

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/nodeal-bre...075812202.html

Long delays are expected at Dover in the event of a no-deal Brexit (Picture: PA/Getty)

The UK will be hit with food, fuel and medicine shortages, a three-month period of chaos at its ports and a hard border in Ireland in a no-deal Brexit, leaked government documents have revealed.

The leaked batch of documents, compiled by the Cabinet Office under the codename “Operation Yellowhammer”, were published by the Sunday Times.

A senior Whitehall source told the newspaper: “This is not Project Fear - this is the most realistic assessment of what the public face with no deal.

“These are likely, basic, reasonable scenarios - not the worst case.”

The newspaper claimed the documents offer the most detailed assessment of Britain’s readiness for leaving the EU without a deal, which looks increasingly likely as prime minister Boris Johnson insists on exiting by October 31.

It comes after reports the German government is expecting a no-deal Brexit.

The UK government files warned that businesses and the public are largely unprepared for a no-deal scenario and that contingency planning has been hampered by growing “EU exit fatigue”.

The leak revealed the government predicts the return of a hard border in Ireland as current plans to avoid checks will be “unsustainable”.

The government warned this may lead to protests, road blockages and “direct action”.

Jeremy Corbyn's plan to become caretaker PM dealt blow as Tory MP rejects proposal

It predicted disruption at ports will last up to three months before traffic flow manages to reach 50% to 70% of its current rate.

In addition, months of border delays will have a significant impact on fuel distribution in London and the southeast of England, the documents said, while up to 85% of lorries using the main Channel crossing “may not be ready” for French customs, potentially leading to delays of up to two and a half days.

The document said petrol import tariffs will lead to the closure of two oil refineries, job losses of 2,000 and widespread strike action and fuel availability issues.

Because three-quarters of Britain’s medicines enter the country through the main Channel crossings, medical supplies will “be vulnerable to “severe extended delays”.

Fresh food availability will also be affected and prices will rise, which could affect “vulnerable groups”, the government warned. The cost of social care is also expected to rise.

Passengers at Dover, Eurotunnel, St Pancras and EU airports will face delays.

A Cabinet source told the Sunday Times: “Successive UK governments have a long history of failing to prepare their citizens to be resilient for their own emergencies.”

30. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (18th August 2019)

31. Link to Post #737
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 times in 1,617 posts

The Brexit leave date has now officially been signed into law:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DExEUgov

=========
    Brexit Secretary signs order to scrap 1972 Brussels Act - ending all EU law in the UK

The Government has signed into law legislation to repeal the Act of Parliament which set in stone Britain’s EU (EEC) membership in 1972.

Department for Exiting the European Union
    Secretary of State for Exiting the EU Steve Barclay
    The 1972 Act is the vehicle that sees regulations flow into UK law directly from the EU’s lawmaking bodies in Brussels.

The announcement of the Act’s repeal marks a historic step in returning lawmaking powers from Brussels to the UK. We are taking back control of our laws, as the public voted for in 2016.

The repeal of the European Communities Act 1972 will take effect when Britain formally leaves the EU on October 31.

Speaking after signing the legislation that will crystallise in law the upcoming repeal of the ECA, the Secretary of State for Exiting the EU Steve Barclay said:

This is a clear signal to the people of this country that there is no turning back - we are leaving the EU as promised on October 31, whatever the circumstances - delivering on the instructions given to us in 2016.

The votes of 17.4 million people deciding to leave the EU is the greatest democratic mandate ever given to any UK Government. Politicians cannot choose which public votes they wish to respect. Parliament has already voted to leave on 31 October. The signing of this legislation ensures that the EU Withdrawal Act will repeal the European Communities Act 1972 on exit day.

The ECA saw countless EU regulations flowing directly into UK law for decades, and any government serious about leaving on October 31 should show their commitment to repealing it.

That is what we are doing by setting in motion that repeal. This is a landmark moment in taking back control of our laws from Brussels“
    ======

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jayke For This Post:

avid (18th August 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (18th August 2019), BMJ (22nd August 2019), boja (18th August 2019), greybeard (18th August 2019), Matthew (18th August 2019), Muzz (18th August 2019), Rosemarie (18th August 2019), Tintin (20th August 2019)

33. Link to Post #738
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Brexit news latest: Boris Johnson urged by more than 100 cross-party MPs to recall parliament over no-deal threat
    Evening Standard Stephanie Cockroft,Evening Standard 14 hours ago

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/brexit-new...054400138.html

Boris Johnson has been urged by more than 100 MPs from across the Commons to immediately recall parliament from the summer recess, amid claims of a "national crisis".

The letter, signed by MPs representing every political party in Westminster apart from the DUP, claims that the country is on "the brink of an economic crisis" and that it is "unacceptable" for parliament to wait until next month to sit again amid the threat of a no-deal Brexit.

The Commons is due to return from summer recess on September 3. The Speaker can only recall parliament at the behest of the government.

Tory former ministers Dominic Grieve and Guto Bebb are among the signatories of the letter.
    Dominic Grieve is among those who have signed the letter (Reuters)

The Westminster leaders of the SNP, Liberal Democrats, Plaid Cymru, Change UK, and the Green Party's Caroline Lucas also backed the call, along with several Labour MPs.

The letter says: "Since the Second World War, Parliament has been recalled multiple times in every decade for a wide range of political, security and economic reasons...

"Our country is on the brink of an economic crisis, as we career towards a no-deal Brexit which will have an immediate effect on food and medical supplies, damage our economy, jobs, the public finances, public services, universities and long-term economic security.

"A no-deal Brexit also threatens our crucial security co-operation to keep our country safe from criminals and terrorists."

They added: "We face a national emergency, and Parliament must be recalled now in August and sit permanently until 31 October, so that the voices of the people can be heard, and that there can be proper scrutiny of your government.

"A true democrat should not fear such scrutiny. The question is whether you are one."

The letter also criticises Mr Johnson's approach to the Brexit negotiation and claims a "creeping and disturbing populism" is taking over Mr Johnson's discourse with the EU.

It adds: "As prime minister you have made policy announcements to the media rather than at the dispatch box. Your plans involve the spending of billions of pounds of taxpayers’ cash to back up your reckless no-deal plans.

"You have failed to conduct any substantive negotiations with EU partners. And you have shown utter disregard for the crucial relationship between the UK and the Republic of Ireland. These are grounds in themselves for a recall of parliament."

After the letter was published, #recallnow was trending on Twitter, as MPs shared the letter and made further pleas.
    Last edited by greybeard; 18th August 2019 at 20:47.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

avid (18th August 2019)

35. Link to Post #739
    Language
    English
    Thanks

UK to end freedom of movement for EU citizens on day one of Brexit, under new government plan
    The Independent Rob Merrick,The Independent 4 hours ago

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/uk-end-fre...143700458.html

Free movement for citizens will end on day one of a no-deal Brexit, under new Home Office plans – despite warnings of chaos and of people trapped in legal limbo.

Priti Patel, the new hardline home secretary, is pressing for border restrictions to be imposed immediately on 31 October, even though no replacement system is ready, The Independent has been told.

Previously, ministers had intended to delay scrapping free movement until new rules are in place, with a Bill stuck in the Commons and fierce rows over what those rules should be.

The Liberal Democrats condemned the acceleration as “brutal”, warning it exposed Ms Patel as being “completely detached from reality”.

And the organisation representing more than 3 million EU citizens in the UK said: “This will open the door to discrimination. There are no systems in place.”

The dramatic shift comes despite the government declining to bring forward the stalled Bill which would end free movement under a slower timetable, for fear of a Commons ambush.

Instead, Ms Patel believes she can act through secondary legislation, in a way that would bypass MPs of all parties who would oppose it.

Home Office officials have been sent to Singapore to copy its solution to technical issues, with the home secretary convinced it can be introduced quickly.

But Ed Davey, the Lib Dem home affairs spokesperson, said: “It is completely detached from reality and is next chapter in the never-ending saga of the utter mess they are making of Brexit.

“What would this mean for EU citizens who have made their home in the UK who have travelled abroad when they try to return?

“Are the government seriously suggesting an NHS nurse who is an EU national may not be allowed to return to the country if they happen to have been on holiday? It is absurd.”

Sir Ed also disputed that Ms Patel could avoid passing an act of parliament, describing any such attempt as “outrageous”.

And Nicolas Hatton, head of the3million group of EU citizens in this country, said: “There are no systems in place and nothing is ready. This is a political gesture, but it will have a real impact on people’s lives.

“This will open the door to discrimination. How will they distinguish between the ‘legacy people’, those already here, and those who will arrive afterwards?”

Sajid Javid, Ms Patel’s predecessor, had dismissed a day-one end to free movement as not “practical” for employers and others, saying: “There will need to be some kind of sensible transition period.”

The new plan may be viewed as part of efforts to force the EU into reopening Brexit negotiations, by signalling an uncompromising stance that would also cause huge upheaval across the Channel.

The government will not bring back the existing immigration bill because it fears it will be hijacked by MPs seeking to block a no-deal Brexit, who could table amendments.

In any case, business and public service leaders, as well as some ministers, are fighting a mooted £30,000 salary threshold for would-be immigrants – fearing severe staff shortages.

Boris Johnson further muddied the waters when he said advisers would now be told to work up plans for “an Australian-style points based system”, declining to set any limit on numbers.

In the Commons last month, the prime minister made no mention of the bill, instead telling MPs: “No one believes more strongly than me in the benefits of migration to our country.”

A senior Home Office source told The Independent that Ms Patel wants free movement “to end on 31 October”.

“Priti wants to toughen the Home Office’s stance,” the source added. “She thinks Saj [Mr Javid] did a great job but, with a new prime minister and new priorities, changes needed to be made.

“For a start that means properly preparing for no deal, it’s clear those in the centre had no intention of preparing for no deal.”

No 10 declined to comment on the new approach, but it is believed to be endorsed by Downing Street and Dominic Cummings, the controversial chief aide.

Last autumn, Mr Javid said of ending free movement immediately: “We’ve just got to be practical.

“If there was a no deal, we won’t be able to immediately distinguish between those Europeans that were already here before 29 March [the then-exit date], and those who came after. There will need to be some kind of sensible transition period.”

A Home Office spokesperson said: “The home secretary has been clear in her intention to take back control of our borders and end free movement after 31 October.

“Ending free movement means we are no longer required to give unlimited and uncontrolled access to those from EU countries when they are coming here seeking to work.”

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Frank V (19th August 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (19th August 2019)

37. Link to Post #740
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Well that's what was voted for--was it not?
    Im just an innocent bystander--smiling.
    Lord knows where this is going but it sure is interesting.
    Ch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst 1 27 37 47 63 LastLast