+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 63 FirstFirst 1 15 25 35 63 LastLast

Thread: The UK Brexit vote to leave the EU

1. Link to Post #481
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,157 times in 8,310 posts

Default Re: The UK Brexit vote to leave the EU

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)

Of the many challenges a border between N Ireland and the South remains a big one.
    We exit without a deal that's them in the biggest mess imaginable.
    And there are probably certain factions hastily trying to use the time we have foolishly given them to make that a pass we get cut off at. As I've already referred to, earlier in this thread;

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1287683
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

avid (24th May 2019), Bill Ryan (27th May 2019), greybeard (24th May 2019)

3. Link to Post #482
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

News
    The three big lies we were told that led to Brexit, the most damaging lie of all

The Independent Simon Wren-Lewis,The Independent

In 1999, the EU elections were dominated by Labour and the Conservatives, with Ukip getting little more than 6 per cent of the vote. It was the second year of a Labour government that would bring us a decade of economic and political stability – until the global financial crisis.

Fast forward to today. Recent opinion polls give the Brexit party over 30 per cent of the vote for the European elections, a party with no members and Nigel Farage being the only recognisable person in it. Government business has ground to a halt because of Brexit and the withdrawal bill has still not been passed by parliament.

How did the UK get in this situation where those overseas see us with a mixture of incredulity and sadness? It’s a story of political deceit and media disinformation. Four big lies that were told that had profound consequences on the people and how they were governed.

The first lie was austerity. Politicians, but also the media, told us the government had to cut spending to prevent another financial disaster. Most economists disagreed with this theory. There was never even a chance of a financial crisis in the years after 2010, and even when that became clear to everyone, austerity continued. I estimate the average household lost resources worth £10,000 as a result of this disastrous policy, and many suffered much more than the average.

The second lie had two components, and together they led to the Conservatives’ victory in the 2015 general election. The first was that the Labour government had been profligate before the crisis. A simple look at the data shows this to be untrue. The second was that the economy was strong. In reality we had the slowest recovery in centuries and an unprecedented decline in real wages.

The third lie was that immigration, rather than austerity, was responsible for those falling wages and reduced access to public services. The Conservative Party and their supporters in the press had started pushing this lie during the Labour government. Under the 2010 coalition, the lie was embodied in immigration targets that were never met. This helped create a public view that controlling immigration was important but because of freedom of movement, the goal was impossible to achieve.

This context was the fatal background to the Brexit vote: the biggest and most damaging lie of all. The right-wing press groomed its readers with countless stories of “Brussels bureaucrats” that were mostly untrue. As a result of this misinformation, the public questioned the economic impact of Brexit, but believed limiting immigration would improve their access to public services.

Where did these falsehoods come from and why were they not challenged? The answer is neoliberalism and a ruthless desire for power. The aim of austerity was to shrink the state, something that is unpopular among the overwhelming majority. Creating a panic about the deficit was an opportunity to achieve a key goal of neoliberalism through deceit. Neoliberals have no desire to restrict immigration, but they correctly judged it was a means to gain votes among left-leaning, socially conservative voters. Anti-immigration feeling combined with the impact of austerity created the perfect conditions for a vote to leave the EU, a vote made possible by a Conservative victory in 2015. The leaders of Brexit were partly motivated by a belief that the EU was preventing the neoliberal goal of further deregulation in labour markets and environmental controls.

The only way out of this chaos is to elect a radical government that can tackle some of the inequalities that were created by a neoliberal era. But they also need to do something about a rabid right wing press and a broadcast media that balances lies with truth. It is a tragedy of our times that the one party pledged to do this has a leader who thinks he can compromise with Brexit.

Simon Wren-Lewis is an emeritus professor of economics and fellow of Merton College, University of Oxford. He blogs at mainlymacro.blogspot.com and is the author of The Lies We Were Told: Politics, Economics, Austerity and Brexit
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th May 2019), Deux Corbeaux (26th May 2019)

5. Link to Post #483
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The Andrew Marr BBC1 show will be interesting today. Sunday 26th May.
    I havent a clue as to which outcome would be best for the UK.
    All have an agenda and the media is full of "convenient" half truths.

Chris

6. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th May 2019)

7. Link to Post #484
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,069 times in 456 posts

Somehow I have the feeling that eventually a Brexit is never going to happen......

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deux Corbeaux For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th May 2019), greybeard (26th May 2019)

9. Link to Post #485
    Thanks

With so much following the Main stream news and opinion, Chris, I guess you're not a conspiracy theorist at all then ?

You don't believe there's a plot to take over the world and rule it with a technological iron fist?
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

10. The Following User Says Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th May 2019)

11. Link to Post #486
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    With so much following the Main stream news and opinion, Chris, I guess you're not a conspiracy theorist at all then ?

You don't believe there's a plot to take over the world and rule it with a technological iron fist?
    Oh yes I believe that there is a plot norman.
    Its been on going as long as there has been "civilization"
    Every war fought has been brought about by the illuminate or similar.
    But I am not a rampant conspiracy theorist---now.
    My focus is outlined in the spiritual section.
    Chris

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th May 2019), Valerie Villars (26th May 2019)

13. Link to Post #487
    Thanks

I understand and respect your position Chris, even though I almost never go to the spiritual section.

Life's been a bundle of lessons for me so far. The most exasperating one that I still can't get fully settled about is the fact that information makes the mind, just as much as how it's processed amd related outwards among us. We can culturalise just about anything at all. If we can more or less agree on how to share it as a culture we are good to go. Trouble is, go where ?

That's how easy it is for an entitiy or entities to lead/drive a whole culture or race or planet anywhere they want it to go.

When I meditate or just sleep a lot and wake up refreshed, I'm staring right at the fact we, even the smartest of us, are just a cargo cult getting on with life as well as we can. What a huge hole in the logic that is, eh . . .

I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have a nagging feeling there is something very significant about the fact that there are/is more than one of us here doing this living thing. Whatever the singularity of the 'source' might be, while we are here as billions of individuals, I get a strong hunch that a sovereignty of the individual is the peg that stretches out the whole challenge. I know others strongly believe it's all about dropping the individual and becoming a singular collective. At this point in history that's a massive issue, haha.

In my strongly held opinion, individual sovereignty based culture is the only thing that's got what it takes to get us over the hump of getting free from being malevolently ruled over. That's just as true for me even if the human race was just someone else's genetic tweak project.

We've got a highly polarised 'battlefield" forming here. What on earth is going on ?

Meanwhile, back in the brexit zoo, I think we get the 'results' today, don't we?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th May 2019), greybeard (26th May 2019), Valerie Villars (26th May 2019)

15. Link to Post #488
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Having watched the the Andrew Marr show I have to say I was impressed by the current chancellor who is not running for the position of the next PM.
    The thread is not about my position or lack of it.
    All I can say is that im 73 and have lived through and survived changes of Government--joining the Common Market etc.
    There will be winners and looser no matter which way it goes, that's life.
    So I can enjoy the soap opera of Brexit without being affected by it but yet have concern for those that will have to live with the end result for a very long time.

Im concerned that Cydersomerset, who started this thread, has not been posting---any word of him.
    I did PM him some weeks ago but no response.
    Chris

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th May 2019), ThePythonicCow (26th May 2019), Valerie Villars (26th May 2019)

17. Link to Post #489
    Language
    English
    Thanks

News
    Has Boris Johnson destroyed his premiership before it has even begun?

The Independent John Rentoul,The Independent

Boris Johnson began his leadership campaign by making a promise he cannot deliver. “We will leave the EU on 31 October, deal or no deal,” he said yesterday. He had to say it, because no candidate can expect to win the leadership election without such a pledge.

But I do not believe it is possible for any prime minister to take the UK out of the EU without a deal at the end of October. Johnson would be removed from office before he could do so. This may sound extreme, but it is a question of numbers.

The Conservatives with the DUP have a majority in the House of Commons of five, assuming Peterborough stays in opposition hands after the by-election the week after next. There are three Labour or former Labour MPs who support a no-deal exit: Kate Hoey, Kelvin Hopkins and Graham Stringer.

That means it would take only six Conservative MPs ​to deprive Johnson of his majority. There are many more than six Tory MPs who think a no-deal exit would be so damaging they are prepared to put country before party.

We can start with the six who have consistently voted against leaving the EU at all – let alone without a deal. Dominic Grieve was out and about yesterday saying that he would “take all steps necessary” to stop a no-deal exit. This group includes Jo Johnson, the putative prime minister’s brother, which sets up the intriguing possibility of a family drama even greater than that of David and Ed Miliband. Would Jo vote to bring down Boris, just a few weeks after he entered No 10?

Perhaps the tie of fraternal loyalty would stay his hand, but there are many other Conservative MPs – some of them even in the cabinet – who would do whatever it took to avoid what they call a “disorderly exit” from the EU.

There has been much learned constitutional debate about how parliament could prevent a no-deal exit. Supporters of what they like to call a clean break or WTO Brexit were excited by an analysis by Maddy Thimont Jack of the Institute for Government that suggested it couldn’t be stopped.

This is a good example of how people see what they want to see. The article makes the point that it would be hard for Yvette Cooper and Oliver Letwin to repeat their constitutional innovation of legislating from the backbenches to require a prime minister to seek an extension to the Brexit timetable.

That device needs the government to table an amendable bill or motion. If the government doesn’t have any legislation it has to get through, the Cooper-Letwin process can’t start.

But the article also makes clear that there is a more drastic option, which is to depose a prime minister by passing a vote of no confidence in the government. It doesn’t go into detail about what could happen next, so let me outline a possible scenario.

If prime minister Johnson were intending to allow our EU membership to expire on 31 October without a deal, he could be removed by six, or 10, or 20 Conservatives voting with Jeremy Corbyn on a motion of no confidence. This would not lead straight away to a general election: under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act, the Commons would have 14 days to pass a motion of confidence in an alternative government.

This could be a government of national unity led by, say, David Lidington, Kenneth Clarke or – just for the TV rights – Jo Johnson. The new prime minister would be installed by the Commons for the sole purpose of seeking a further extension of the Article 50 deadline.

It may be objected that Corbyn would never whip his MPs to put a Conservative in power, but if it were the only way to stop a no-deal exit I think he would do it. Not only did Labour’s manifesto say “leaving the EU with ‘no deal’ is the worst possible deal for Britain”, but ousting Boris Johnson feels like a Labour win that could bring a general election nearer.

In any case, the scenario is credible enough to scare Johnson. The choice facing him – or any other no-deal prime minister – would then be to prevent parliament from sitting, allowing the UK to leave by default on 31 October, or to ask for an extension himself.

Again, there has been learned constitutional debate about how prime minister Johnson could prorogue parliament, or refuse to set a date for it to sit, so that MPs would be powerless to stop him taking the country out of the EU without a deal.

These are dangerous waters. I find it hard to believe that it is being seriously suggested that a prime minister should suspend parliamentary democracy to do something as important as this in defiance of a majority in the House of Commons.

Whatever anyone’s doubts about Boris Johnson’s qualities as a potential prime minister, I do not believe he would try to subvert the will of parliament.

No: he will find himself on the same treadmill of unrealistic promises as Theresa May. He will try and fail to renegotiate the deal. The DUP will remain opposed. The Tory party will become increasingly wedded to an outcome that cannot be delivered.

He won’t be able to call a general election, because Tory MPs, fearful of losing their seats, won’t let him. In the end, he may be driven to a referendum, but even then the Commons could refuse to allow a no-deal exit as one of the options on the ballot paper.

It is a good thing Johnson believes that by sheer force of personality he can change reality, because it seems all roads ahead are blocked, not just for him but for any other possible Tory prime minister.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

avid (26th May 2019), Bill Ryan (27th May 2019)

19. Link to Post #490
    Language
    English
    Thanks

News
    Philip Hammond says he could join revolt to topple prime minister trying to force through a no-deal Brexit

The Independent Rob Merrick,The Independent

Philip Hammond has warned that MPs will topple any new Tory prime minister trying to force through a no-deal Brexit – and sensationally threatened to join the revolt himself.

The chancellor refused – three times – to rule out joining the no-confidence vote that Labour has vowed to table if a hardline Brexiteer succeeds Theresa May.

Mr Hammond said any new leader trying to “push through a no-deal exit on 31 October” would immediately face the prospect of having to “leave office”.

“It would be very difficult for the prime minister who adopted no-deal as a policy to retain the confidence of the House of Commons,” he said – just minutes after Dominic Raab made that exact threat.

Asked if he would support a no-confidence motion, Mr Hammond told the BBC’s Andrew Marr it was “hypothetical”, pointing out he had never voted against his party in 22 years.

But he added: “I don’t want to start now having to contemplate such a course of action.”

The warning follows Boris Johnson’s threat to carry out a crash-out Brexit in the autumn in October, if necessary, which rival Tory candidates have quickly copied.

The chancellor dismissed their claims of trying to renegotiate a better deal before than as “a figleaf”, pointing out there would be no time, even if the EU was willing.

“The EU will not renegotiate the withdrawal agreement – I’m quite clear about that. They wouldn’t be able to because of their own political fragility,” he said.

Mr Hammond added: “In fact, the negotiation is a figleaf to do what is in fact a policy of leaving on no-deal terms.”

And he warned: “A prime minister who ignores parliament cannot expect to survive very long.”

The chancellor declined to say which of the eight candidates now running to be Tory leader he would back. Others are expected to join the race.

He said he wanted to hear their plans “to win a general election against Corbyn, their plans for the future”.

On a no-confidence vote, he warned it would be “a dangerous strategy” to be “boxed in with commitments you find it very difficult to deliver on”.

Asked again if he could vote against the government on such a motion, the Chancellor said: “It would challenge not just me, but many of our colleagues, and I hope we will never get to that position.”

Earlier, Mr Raab, warned MPs would be unable to stop him carrying out a crash-out Brexit if he wins the Tory leadership race, vowing to be “resolute”.

The former Brexit secretary ruled out a further Article 50 delay, vowing: “I will not ask for an extension.”

And he added: “It’s very difficult for parliament now to legislate against a no-deal, or in favour of a further extension, unless a resolute prime minister is willing to acquiesce in that – and I would not.

===============================================================

Watching the results.
    The combined votes, so far, for all remain parties, is greater then the overall leave vote
    However the Brexit Party will have the most MEP's

Chris

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

avid (26th May 2019), Bill Ryan (27th May 2019), Hervé (27th May 2019)

21. Link to Post #491
    Language
    English
    Thanks

EU elections: Tories and Labour suffer as Brexit Party triumphs
    Sky News Alan McGuinness, political reporter,Sky News

The Conservatives and Labour have fallen victim to a Brexit backlash from voters in the European elections, with the Brexit Party coasting to victory.

And it also proved to be a night of resurgence for the Liberal Democrats.

Five years ago they had just one MEP, now they are celebrating their best-ever performance in a European election.

Almost three years on from the EU referendum, the results from an election made necessary by the delay to Britain's exit show that the country remains deeply divided on the issue.

Nigel Farage's party, which was formed just six weeks ago, won 10 of the UK's 11 regions, gaining 28 seats and more than 30% of the vote. Only Scotland and Northern Ireland are yet to fully declare. The Brexit Party is projected to also win a seat in Scotland, taking its total in the UK to 29.

The Lib Dems finished second in England and Wales after winning 15 seats.

Labour won 10 (down from 20 in 2014), the Greens had seven (up from three in 2014) and the Conservatives slumped to just three (compared with 19 last time).

After topping the polls under the leadership of Mr Farage five years ago, UKIP lost all 23 of its MEPs and saw its share of the vote drop by more than 25%.

The two main political parties suffered as voters split between the clear alternatives offered by Mr Farage and the pro-EU Lib Dems.

:: Conservatives and Labour could move to greater Brexit extremes following EU elections

Turnout was 36.7%, up 1.8% from 2014.

On a disastrous night for the Tories, the party finished fifth and is on course for its worst ever national election share once all the results have been announced.

The abject performance is likely to spark further internal debate about the party's future direction and handling of Brexit.

For Labour, the party's poor showing has already reignited debate about its policy on a second referendum.

:: God-like rock star or pantomime villain: Farage's undisputed showbiz appeal

By contrast, a clearly delighted Mr Farage said a "massive message" had been sent to Westminster.

"Never before in British politics has a new party launched just six weeks ago topped the polls in a national election," he said.

"The reason of course is very obvious: we voted to leave in a referendum, we were supposed to do so on March 29 and we haven't.

"There's a huge message here, massive message here - the Labour and Conservative parties could learn a big lesson from tonight - though I don't suppose that they actually will."

In a message to the established parties, the freshly re-elected MEP for the South East added: "If we don't leave on October 31 then the scores you have seen for the Brexit Party today will be repeated in a general election, and we are getting ready for it."

The party's uncompromising message on Brexit - that Britain should be prepared to walk away with no deal rather than agree to a bad one - captured a large section of public opinion.

But the Remain-backing Liberal Democrats enjoyed a revival, winning 15 seats and over 20% of the vote.

Outgoing leader Sir Vince Cable said a "clear, honest, unambiguous message" was behind its success, which saw the party win London ahead of Labour.

"We have shown ourselves to be the strongest Remain force in British politics," he declared.

"We will always stand up for the people who have put their faith in us, taking this mandate forward to campaign harder than ever to stop Brexit."

And there was a strong showing from the Greens, who built on their best-ever performance in the recent local elections.

The party now has seven MEPs and registered 12.5% of the vote to finish fourth.

Although the result was widely expected, the Brexit Party's dominance could have repercussions beyond these elections.

The Tory vote collapsed, with the party polling under 10%.

Theresa May has already promised to step aside and make way for a new prime minister in the summer, meaning what happens next with Brexit will be in the hands of her successor.

A key fault-line in the contest is whether or not a no deal Brexit is a viable option.

The Brexit Party's victory could harden the resolve of no deal advocates like Boris Johnson, Andrea Leadsom and Dominic Raab to leave one way or the other at the end of October - the new Brexit deadline.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said the results underlined the fact that the Tories were "disintegrating and unable to govern".

With Westminster still deadlocked, he said "this issue will have to go back to the people, whether through a general election or a public vote".

However, the party also had a difficult night.

Labour saw its share of the vote drop by more than 10%. It now has 10 MEPs, compared with 18 in the last EU elections in 2014.

A number of specific results will also set alarm bells ringing, like failing to win London and finishing third in Wales, the latter an unprecedented occurrence.

Labour's official policy is to keep open the option of campaigning for a second referendum, with another public vote not its first option at the moment.

But frontbencher Emily Thornberry told Sky News the stance was not "sufficiently clear" and that should be a "lesson we need to learn tonight".

Re-elected MEP Seb Dance said: "The penny must drop. We owe it to our values and the communities we represent to be honest about what Brexit is, the harm it will do to our countries and to give people the chance to stop it."

Mr Corbyn hinted that the party could shift its position, saying: "Over the coming days we will have conversations across our party and movement, and reflect on these results on both sides of the Brexit divide."

Change UK failed to make a breakthrough in its electoral debut, not registering a single MEP and only getting 3.4% of the vote.

UKIP leader Gerard Batten lost his seat in London, which could lead to questions about his future in the job.

Although the Brexit Party emerged victorious, the results suggest the country is split on Brexit.

If you were to add up the votes of all of the parties that firmly back Remain (the Liberal Democrats, Change UK, the Greens and Plaid Cymru) you would get 38%.

The total of the no-deal supporting parties (Brexit Party and UKIP) is 37%.

Intriguingly, if you were to put Labour in the Remain column, this would put it on 53%, compared to 46% on the Leave side if you included the Tory vote share.

"Remain parties 40.4%
    Hard Brexit Brexit parties 34.9%"

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

avid (27th May 2019), Bill Ryan (27th May 2019), Hervé (27th May 2019), Jayke (27th May 2019), Star Tsar (27th May 2019)

23. Link to Post #492
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 times in 1,617 posts

Although the Brexit Party emerged victorious, the results suggest the country is split on Brexit.

If you were to add up the votes of all of the parties that firmly back Remain (the Liberal Democrats, Change UK, the Greens and Plaid Cymru) you would get 38%.

The total of the no-deal supporting parties (Brexit Party and UKIP) is 37%.

Intriguingly, if you were to put Labour in the Remain column, this would put it on 53%, compared to 46% on the Leave side if you included the Tory vote share.

"Remain parties 40.4%
    Hard Brexit Brexit parties 34.9%"
    Another one flew over the cuckoos nest!

You’ve got to admire the logic of the loony left! These are the people who relish in the ‘first past the post’ system of democracy when it suits them i.e. when it keeps the Tory globalonies or labour comrades in power, but when it goes against them, it’s time for the mental gymnastics, “if we add up all the votes of the losing parties, and make a blind assumption that they’re all pro-EU, then we can say we’ve really won

If we use their own logic, and assume the 63.3% of the voting population who didn’t bother voting, chose not to—because we should’ve left the EU already—intriguingly, the true results reveal only 40% of 36.7% of the population voted to stay in the EU, which means a measly 14.68% of the population are vehemently pro-EU. That’s not even 1 in 5! How many elections do these idiots need to lose before their bubbles finally burst?

To be fair, the same logic would mean only 1 in 5 are vehemently anti-EU, leaving 3 in 5 apathetic either way. Is this a sign we’re in the dwapara Yuga? A time of 50% virtue, where the Devas and Asura’s are in a perpetual tug of war over the central island.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jayke For This Post:

avid (27th May 2019), Bill Ryan (27th May 2019), greybeard (27th May 2019)

25. Link to Post #493
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Statistics statistics = economical with the truth = downright lies.
    Oh well--whats new?

Chris
    Last edited by greybeard; 27th May 2019 at 14:47.

26. Link to Post #494
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,898 times in 15,481 posts

A bit about some of the intrigues going on in the background:

Brexit is All About Making Israel Greater

By Gilad Atzmon
    on May 26, 2019

Britain is in a state of political turmoil. The government and the main opposition party have both lost their way and, together, they have completely lost the trust of the people. In the last few weeks we have witnessed a landslide exodus from both the Tory and Labour parties to the slightly more rational, principled and patriotic alternatives: the truly conservative wandered to the Brexit Party and the remainers, who previously voted Labour, migrated to the more humane Liberal Democrats.

Brits are critically divided over Brexit. It is fair to say that most do not fully grasp what Brexit is anymore. They were deliberately not informed of the political discussion over Brexit and what it would mean for the future. Brits feel betrayed by the political class and in truth, they have been subjected to gross and treacherous treatment by their politicians and media. Brits are not aware of the centrality of Israel and its interests that is at the core of the Brexit debate.

In February, I published a translation of a Ynet article which reported that Israel had located itself as post-Brexit Britain’s gateway to the world:
    “Once out of the EU, Britain will have to sign separate trade agreements with each state, and Israel will be the first,” Ynet wrote.
    Just to remove any confusion, it added
    “Israel has become Britain’s strategic ally.”
    And of course,
    “the British government totally disregard the boycott campaign against Israel. On a political level, they boycotted the boycott.”
    Britain under Theresa May has been reduced into a colony of Israel’s. Brits have become increasingly aware that 80% of their Tory MPs are members of the Conservative Friends of Israel, which is a foreign pressure group dedicated to the interests of another state.

Those who have been puzzled by the insane institutional Israel lobby campaign against Corbyn and the Labour party (BOD, Jewish Chronicle, CAA, etc.) can now figure out what the motivation behind it was: Corbyn in 10 Downing Street might well interfere with Israel’s plans for post-Brexit Britain.

The truth is starting to unveil itself. Theresa May, a staunch Zionist, has been working tirelessly to bring about a Brexit ‘deal.’ The Ynet article suggests that such a deal could work for Israel. Brexit enthusiasts smelled a rat, they could see that May’s Brexit offering didn’t fit with what they had in mind. But they couldn’t see the full picture since the prominence of Israel in post-Brexit plans was never discussed in the British press.

In September, 2018 Barry Grossman, the Tel Aviv British embassy’s Director of International Trade, used the Ynet platform to explain to Israelis why Brexit is good for Israel.
    “Israel and Israelis can reap huge benefits from Brexit,” Grossman wrote.

“Since the Brexit referendum, the British government has declared that Israel is one of its priority markets. The UK is already Israel’s second largest trading partner in the world, and annual trade between the two countries is worth well over $7 billion.”
    No one in the British media cared to delve into the significance of Israeli-British relations to Brexit. The topic has never been mentioned in the British national media.

But remainers are in no better position. They are also clueless about the actual corrosive elements that divide their Kingdom and pull it into chaos. Corbyn and his dysfunctional party did nothing to clarify the situation. How is it possible that no one in the Labour Party has been brave enough to touch upon the centrality of Israel in the current Brexit debate?

How is it that, despite the revelation in Israel’s biggest news outlet that Brexit was designed to make Israel great again, not one brave Labour MP, including the so-called ‘leader,’ could say so out loud? The answer is obvious: like the Conservative party, Labour is an occupied zone. It is dominated by fear of the Israel lobby, Jewish pressure groups and the compromised and Zionised British media.

This alone is devastating, but unfortunately, the centrality of Israel in the current Brexit crisis goes much deeper.

Though it is clear to most Brits that Brexit exposes a clear rift between an emerging nationalist ideology and progressive philosophy: not many realise that both contemporary nationalism and progressive philosophy are deeply inspired by two rival Jewish political schools of thought.

For Right-wing agitators, the Alt Right, anti-Muslims and anti-immigration activists, Israel and its current prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, have become a major source of inspiration. Similarly, it is Jewish progressive ideology that arouses pro-immigration campaigners, open-borders enthusiasts and multi culturalists globally and especially in the UK and USA.

It is the pervasiveness of Jewish ideologies within both Right-wing nationalist and New Left discourses that sustains the dominance of the Israel lobby and Jewish pressure groups within British political parties, media and academia.

My study of Jewish ID politics suggests that as in America, Britain isn’t just influenced by one Jewish lobby or another, rather the entire British political, cultural and spiritual spectrum has been reduced into an internal Jewish debate. Brits struggle to see it because their media and academia work tirelessly to conceal this development. I guess that some must believe that it is safer (for reason to do with public safety and community relations) to keep nations in the dark.

Tommy Robinson, who managed to excite and mobilise thousands of Brits in the run-up to the European Parliament election by spreading an anti-Islam message, is an ardent Zionist who supports Israel and is openly supported by pro-Israel right-wing elements and members of the British Jewish community. The British media is hostile to Robinson and never misses any opportunity to paint him as a vile racist, but his connections with the Jewish State are kept hidden from the public.

However, Robinson is just an example. The many Brits who support a hard Brexit are inspired by the desire to reinstate rootedness, to close borders, to revive past British glory. It is inspired by Netanyahu’s policies. Like Donald Trump’s unoriginal promise to erect a wall on the Mexican border, many Brits would like to see their kingdom protected by an Israeli-style anti-migrant barrier.

In my recent book, Being in Time – A Post-Political Manifesto, I stress that while the old, good Left promised to unite us in a fight against capitalism, regardless of our gender, religion, skin colour or ethnicity, it was the New Left that taught us to speak ‘as a’: as a Jew, as Gay, as Black, and so on. Instead of being one people united in the struggle for justice and equality, within the post-political realm the so-called ‘left’ is pushing us toward endless identity battles. This has practically managed to turn societies into the twelve tribes of Israel. The Identitarian revolution was inspired by a few Jewish ideological and philosophical schools including, most importantly, the Frankfurt School. It is actually Jewish Identitarian philosophy and the success of Jewish Identitarianism that inspires most, if not all, contemporary Identitarian politics. It is not surprising that it also motivates the contemporary Labour party and dominates the US Democratic Party.

It has been established that a chief funder of the Identitarian revolution is financier George Soros and his Open Society Foundations. Soros may genuinely believe in the Identitarian future: It is cosmopolitan, it is global, it defies borders and states, but far more significantly, it also functions to divert attention from Wall Street, the City of London and capitalist crimes: as long as Identitarians fight each other, no one bothers to fight Wall Street and corporate tyranny. Soros didn’t invent this strategy. It has long been named ‘divide and conquer.’

British people certainly remember that it was Soros who used the pages of The Guardian to warn Brits of the inevitable implications of Brexit. They may find themselves wondering why a Hungarian-American globalist financier interfered in their national affairs. Brits may have been puzzled when the same Guardian castigated Nigel Farage as an ‘anti-Semite’ for referring to Soros as “the biggest danger to the Western World.” But much more shocking is that Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, known for his blunt opposition to banking and capitalism, endorsed a video that attributed ‘antisemitism’ to critics of Soros.

Jeremy Corbyn @jeremycorbyn

Really important video which spells out the vile and destructive nature of antisemitic conspiracy theories.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1101541262392475648

2 7:54 PM - Mar 1, 2019
    The above shows the depth of the spiritual, cultural and ideological influence of Jewish politics in Britain and in Brexit in particular. While Israel is the prototype of a nationalist and patriotic system for Brexiters, the remainers who support globalisation, immigration and multiculturalism are emulating the Jewish Diaspora’s rival progressive position. These two contradictory Jewish schools of thought are deeply entrenched within each of the two opposing ideologies tearing Britain apart.

Soon Brits will have to choose whether they prefer to be nationalists and xenophobes like the Israelis or as cosmopolitan, multicultural and assimilated as the Jewish progressive Diaspora. Or Britain could choose a third route. The Kingdom can liberate itself by looking inward and deciding what is it about Britain, about its history, culture and heritage that they like and want to reinstate.

Gilad Atzmon
    Gilad Atzmon, a former Israeli soldier now a writer and an award winning Jazz musician resident in London, where he lives in virtual exile
    Last edited by Hervé; 27th May 2019 at 14:26.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

avid (27th May 2019), Bill Ryan (27th May 2019), Billy (27th May 2019), greybeard (27th May 2019), Jayke (27th May 2019), norman (27th May 2019), ThePythonicCow (30th May 2019)

28. Link to Post #495
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Anti-Brexit parties ‘claim biggest share of vote despite Brexit Party surge’

PA Ready News UK By Jennifer McKiernan, Press Association Political Correspondent,PA Ready News UK

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/anti-brexi...131812611.html

( there is more on the link)

Anti-Brexit parties won the biggest share of the European vote, despite the Brexit Party’s surge, campaigners have claimed.

People’s Vote campaigners highlighted how the five parties who they said campaigned explicitly against Brexit and for a People’s Vote – the Liberal Democrats, the Greens, the SNP, Change UK and Plaid Cymru – won 40% of the vote, compared to 35% for the Brexit Party and Ukip.

Adding in Labour, which gave qualified support for another referendum, takes the anti-Brexit side to 56% and counting Conservative votes on the pro-Brexit side gives 44%.

Pollster Professor John Curtice said things were not quite so clear cut, although voters were polarised and had clearly rejected the attempted compromises of Labour and the Conservatives.

Speaking to the BBC, he said: “Some want to add the numbers up to say that actually rather more people voted for pro-referendum parties than no-deal parties, therefore this was a mandate for a second referendum.

“Well, we can argue about the extent to which the SNP’s vote is actually a Remain vote – it is predominantly but not wholly – and if you take them out actually it’s 35:35.

“But in any event, whether it’s 35 or 40, it’s still less than 50%, so I think the honest truth is that neither side can claim on the basis of these results that voters are sending clear signals.”

However, Jo Swinson, Liberal Democrat deputy leader and People’s Vote supporter, claimed the results breakdown showed there was no mandate for a no-deal Brexit.

She said: “The real story from last night’s results is the huge surge in support for the Lib Dems and other strongly pro-People’s Vote parties, who look set to win a larger share of the vote than parties backing a no-deal Brexit.

“There is no majority in either the country or in Parliament for a crashing-out of the EU with a no-deal Brexit.

“Two-thirds of people who voted in this election rejected Nigel Farage’s terrifying vision for our country.

“There was no mandate for this form of Brexit in the 2016 referendum – when it was scarcely discussed – and it is fanciful to pretend such a mandate exists now.”

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

avid (27th May 2019), Bill Ryan (27th May 2019), Hervé (27th May 2019), Mark (Star Mariner) (29th May 2019)

30. Link to Post #496
    Thanks

She said: “The real story from last night’s results is the huge surge in support for the Lib Dems and other strongly pro-People’s Vote parties, who look set to win a larger share of the vote than parties backing a no-deal Brexit.

“There is no majority in either the country or in Parliament for a crashing-out of the EU with a no-deal Brexit.

“Two-thirds of people who voted in this election rejected Nigel Farage’s terrifying vision for our country.

“There was no mandate for this form of Brexit in the 2016 referendum – when it was scarcely discussed – and it is fanciful to pretend such a mandate exists now.”
    If statistics = damn lies. Why post more articles that fudge the statistics?

The real story of the Euro results is that if the same percentages of voting takes place in the next general election—under a first past the post system—the breakdown of parliamentary seats in the commons would look like this:

Conservative: 0 seats
    Labour: 93 seats
    Lib: 31 seats
    Green: 1 seat
    SNP: 56 seats
    Plaid: 5 seats
    Brexit: 446 seats
    Brexit majority 242!

To break last nights results down by area. You can see in the attached thumbnail below, it’s mostly just London propping up the Lib Dem’s. The rest of the country is a huge Brexit majority. This is why the next Conservative leader is going to have to strongly consider No Deal Brexit (which is the Brexit most Leavers voted for in the 2016 referendum).

If these EU results transfer over to the next general elections, the anti-Brexit parties will suffer a devastating loss of seats.

Not that I trust the Brexit Party anymore than the other establishment top picks. Farage’s Brexit Party is funded by the same Zionist mega-donor — Robert Mercer — who funded Trumps presidential bid. There’s definitely strong Israeli influence behind the scenes. How many different factions of Isralies are there?

Steven M Collins has a very interesting book series that helps to elucidate the Israeli connections, especially the notion of the Anglo-Saxon Israelites, that migrated out of Jerusalem into the Black Sea region and became the Sakae=Scythians=Saxons. This is a really well researched, evidence based book series, which sheds light on not only politics today, but the hidden history of great civilisations that have been obscured from our history books. Leading to much confusion and mystery in today’s world.The Lost Ten Tribes of Israel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	591440E5-474D-4FC5-9CA3-83C357ACE8BD.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	40651  

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jayke For This Post:

avid (27th May 2019), greybeard (27th May 2019), Mark (Star Mariner) (29th May 2019), norman (27th May 2019)

32. Link to Post #497
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Im neutral Jayke it just amuses me that statistics can prove almost anything but there is some value in the total articles posted.
    The context of the vote is important--its a yes or no to Brexit.
    I suspect a general election would not see the Brexit party in Downing Street.
    Nor will it guarantee home rule for Scots.

Chris

33. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Jayke (27th May 2019)

34. Link to Post #498
    Thanks

Did the Simpsons make another prophetic prediction? Mr Burns certainly reminds me—in stature and demeanour—of Theresa May.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jayke For This Post:

avid (27th May 2019), ByTheNorthernSea (27th May 2019), greybeard (27th May 2019), Mark (Star Mariner) (29th May 2019)

36. Link to Post #499
    Thanks

Morrissey, remember him ?

This Black Pigeon video put him right back in my face after years of knowing nothing at all about what he's been up to. I don't watch TV so he might be a big star again these days for all I know, but anyway . . . I was never a big Morrissey fan, I was more into his guitarist

I had no idea what Morrissey had to say about Britain. I do now. Well, sort of, the narrator does all the talking. This isn't actually Morrissey speaking on camera.

I've skipped the first 1 minute 50 seconds of something quite irrelevant and it starts ( or should ) where it begins to get around to his perspective on the state of Britain. Ironically, his political roots are very far from 'right-wing', and I hope he says it in a way that avoids the usual reactions.

I like his term "fashionable outrage", and he's got quite a few more where that came from.

Black Pigeon Speak
    Published on 26 May 2019

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

avid (27th May 2019), greybeard (28th May 2019), Jayke (27th May 2019)

38. Link to Post #500
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Boris Johnson will appear in court to face allegations of misconduct in a public office over Leave campaign claims

Yahoo News UK Will Metcalfe,Yahoo News UK

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/boris-john...100335278.html

Former Mayor of London Boris Johnson speaks to Vote Leave campaigners as he boards the Vote Leave campaign bus in Truro, Cornwall, ahead of its inaugural journey which will criss-cross the country over the coming weeks to take the Brexit message to all corners of the UK before the June 23 referendum.
    A private prosecution has been brought against Mr Johnson over the claims the UK gave the EU £350m a week. (PA)

Boris Johnson will be summonsed to court to face accusations of misconduct in public office over claims he was lying when he said the UK gave the EU £350 million a week.

The favourite to win the Tory leadership race faces a private prosecution by campaigner Marcus Ball.

Lawyers representing Mr Ball lodged an application to summons Mr Johnson to court, claiming he had deliberately misled the public during the Brexit referendum campaign in 2016 and then repeated the statement during the 2017 general election.

In a written decision, District Judge Margot Coleman said Mr Johnson will be summonsed to court.
    The Vote Leave campaign bus is parked in Truro, Cornwall, ahead of its inaugural journey which will criss-cross the country over the coming weeks to take the Brexit message to all corners of the UK before the June 23 referendum.

"This means the proposed defendant will be required to attend this court for a preliminary hearing, and the case will then be sent to the Crown Court for trial.

"The charges can only be dealt with in the Crown Court."

Mr Ball has raised more than £200,000 through a 'Brexit Justice' crowdfunding campaign to pay for the private prosecution.
    Last edited by greybeard; 29th May 2019 at 10:32.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 63 FirstFirst 1 15 25 35 63 LastLast