+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Moon

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default New Moon

A friend recently showed me a video of a second moon or asteroid orbiting the earth. Has there been a previous post concerning this?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ricker For This Post:

DeDukshyn (26th June 2016), ElfeMya (25th June 2016), Ines (25th June 2016), ZooLife (25th June 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member ZooLife's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,079 times in 1,967 posts

Default Re: New Moon

Interesting, I had not heard of 'second moons' before.

Claimed moons of Earth

NASA Identifies Tiny Second Moon

(Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech)

A very small asteroid, circling the Earth while orbiting the sun, has been officially classified as a tiny second moon by NASA.

Tiny Second Moon

Very small ‘second moon’ states NASA

For almost 100 years, a tiny asteroid has been orbiting the sun on a similar path to Earth. The asteroid, officially known as ‘2016 HO3’ is between 120 and 300 feet in diameter. Due to its small size, it seems to have been happily circling the earth for some time (thought to be about 100 years) without being detected.

It was first identified back in April by the Institute for Astronomy at Hawaii University, on their Pan-STARRS 1 telescope.
    “Caught in a little dance”

The asteroid’s orbit has followed a strange back and forth pattern for many decades, getting closer and further away to Earth, but always staying within seemingly fixed parameters.

Paul Chodas, manager of NASA’s Centre for Near-Earth Object (NEO) studies at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena stated, “The asteroid’s loops around Earth drift a little ahead or behind from year to year, but when they drift too far forward or backward, Earth’s gravity is just strong enough to reverse the drift and hold onto the asteroid so that it never wanders farther away than about 100 times the distance of the moon.”

This gravitational and celestial arrangement means that it never gets any closer than approximately 38 times the distance of the moon, which results in this mini-moon being “caught in a little dance” with Earth.
    Quasi-satellite

The distance is too great for the asteroid to be deemed a true satellite of Earth, but it is the most stable example we have of a near-Earth companion, hence the term ‘quasi-satellite’.

“Since 2016 HO3 loops around our planet, but never ventures very far away as we both go around the sun, we refer to it as a quasi-satellite of Earth,” said Chodas.
    Companion, but for how long?

It is expected that at some point this ‘second moon’ will leave us at eventually, but it is predicted that it is likely to be around for some time yet. Chodas stated, “this new asteroid is much more locked onto us,” and went on to guess that it would be our companion for “centuries to come.”

For all the doom mongers out there, please note that the scientists involved were quick to point out that our new space friend is no danger to our planet, or our moon.
    Other celestial friends

Asteroid 2016 HO3 is not our only companion in space. Along with the moon, which has been around since the earth was formed and unlikely to leave us anytime soon, we have had a number of other asteroids join us on our merry journey.

2003 YN107, was another asteroid that orbited Earth for some time in the early 2000’s but has since left our solar system.

In late 2006, RH120 was spotted by astronomers in Arizona. After initially being dismissed as space debris or the remnants of a previous rocket booster, it was later confirmed as an asteroid circling earth. Perhaps not liking the cut of our jib, it left within a year.

There are two other asteroids, 3743 Cruithne, a three-mile-wide asteroid and 2010 TK7, a Trojan asteroid that also circle the earth as the earth makes its way round the sun.

The European Space Agency has recently discussed far reaching plans to build an outpost between the Earth and the Moon. This would be used to make it far easier to get to and from the moon. Exciting times.

Source

3753 Cruithne, is a quasi-orbital satellite of Earth

It all depends on ones definition of a moon, I suppose.
    Last edited by ZooLife; 25th June 2016 at 04:17.
    I still have eyes to see what the world would have me see but that doesn't mean I believe. - Sara

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ZooLife For This Post:

DeDukshyn (26th June 2016), ElfeMya (25th June 2016), giovonni (25th June 2016), Ines (25th June 2016), seko (25th June 2016), Sunny-side-up (26th June 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Posted June 18th ...

Quote Posted by giovonni (here)
    Ho Ho Ho ...

Earth's Second "Mini" Moon Discovered by NASA

"Earth currently has two moons thanks to a small asteroid that has been orbiting the Earth for the last century. 2016 H03 is roughly 120-300 feet in diameter and was discovered on April 27 by NASA. 2016 H03 is not a classified as a natural moon because of it’s distance from the planet, instead they are calling it a “quasi-satellite.” "Our calculations indicate 2016 HO3 has been a stable quasi-satellite of Earth for almost a century, and it will continue to follow this pattern as Earth's companion for centuries to come," said Paul Chodas, manager of NASA's Center for Near-Earth Object Studies. 2016 H03 is not the first asteroid caught in Earths orbit. 2003 YN107 followed a similar orbital pattern for over 10 years before it’s trajectory sent it off into space. NASA predicts that there are numerous small objects currently orbiting Earth. Jo Ankier, Nik Zecevic and Margaret J. Howell take a closer look at Earth’s “mini” moon on the Lip News."

Referenced article: SURPRISE: Earth has two moons

Published on Jun 18, 2016

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

The earth's gravitational force (like other celestial bodies) is like a dream catcher.

Last edited by ZooLife; 25th June 2016 at 14:05.
    I still have eyes to see what the world would have me see but that doesn't mean I believe. - Sara

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ZooLife For This Post:

DeDukshyn (26th June 2016), ElfeMya (25th June 2016), gord (25th June 2016), Ines (25th June 2016), Sunny-side-up (26th June 2016)

8. Link to Post #5
    New Caledonia/ Australia/ Munich, Germany
    Thanks

That dream catcher is amazing... Wow !
    Love and Light

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ElfeMya For This Post:

Ines (25th June 2016), Lifebringer (25th June 2016), Sunny-side-up (26th June 2016), ZooLife (25th June 2016)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,123 times in 3,951 posts

Great post and thx for the LIL-MOON info, I did not know of it.

2016 HO3 Doh. needs a better name?
    Little-Moo not quite a Moon so Moo will do, hehe

That dream catcher looks like a SUN-PORTAL to me

Quote Posted by ZooLife (here)
    The earth's gravitational force (like other celestial bodies) is like a dream catcher.

I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

ElfeMya (26th June 2016), ZooLife (26th June 2016)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Look familiar? The title of this work: "Lather Rinse Repeat"

Dreams, who knew?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ZooLife For This Post:

Sunny-side-up (26th June 2016)

14. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by ZooLife (here)

As a side bit ...
    What is interesting is that in some circles, it is known that gravity also catches emotions and thoughts ... like a dreamcatcher ...
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Sunny-side-up (26th June 2016), ZooLife (27th June 2016)

16. Link to Post #9
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,692 times in 13,806 posts

I wonder what this means to David Icke's Saturn - Moon Matrix Theory?
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

ZooLife (27th June 2016)

+ Reply to Thread