Thread: Brexit & Identity crisis

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Default Re: Brexit & Identity crisis

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Yea-BUT !

Here's a scenario I dread.

The REMAIN crowd have got a Labor Party in tatters. It's mostly lefties who were remain, I think.

They could reconstitute the Labor Party as their own vehicle to take power in Westminster and stop the activation of Article 50.

How and why ?.... simple.

A huge number of traditional Labor voters voted for OUT. IF they are presented with a general election this autumn that is a choice between a Labor party committed to stopping BREXIT in it's tracks, and a Conservative Party committed to Brexit, I really don't think many of them will switch sides and vote Conservative for the first time in their lives.

edit to add:

Ask yourselves this question....

Exactly WHY did the Labor Party collapse in a heap as soon as the result was announced?

and.....

Nick Clegg ( Liberal Democrat ) has already been screaming from the rooftops for a general election BEFORE Brexit is activated.
    Hi Norman. I think you are confusing two different things: the Parliamentary Labour Party in rebellion against Corbyn, and the grassroots membership, which is hugely behind him – 60% backing him only 9 months ago; apparently many joined expressly in order to vote him in and the membership has increased massively since his election. The Labour Party has changed, returned to its roots, from being the Blairite-Thatcherite New Labour back to a party representing ordinary working people. That is why the party is now under attack, ahead of the Leave campaigners, and ahead of the present defeated government. Three or four days ago, I posted why I thought Corbyn was the man to lead a post-referendum UK. So I am very unsurprised that he should come under such heavy attack now.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

avid (30th June 2016), Ellisa (29th June 2016), ulli (30th June 2016), Violet (30th June 2016)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,382 times in 8,335 posts

As long the remain crowd don't hijack the Labor Party, and as long as the Article 50 thing gets activated before another election, I'm on the same page as you, I think.

I'm surrounded by Labor voters here where I live. I know nearly all of them voted for Out. I also know that if it was a general election, they'd do what they always do, vote Labor.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

avid (30th June 2016), Ellisa (29th June 2016), ulli (30th June 2016), Violet (30th June 2016)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,182 times in 1,657 posts

Member state Poland, a great beneficiary, if not the greatest, of EU subsidies, consistently shows up as a loyal proponent of the union. The unequal distribution of EU wealth, according to some, unrightfully to the advantage of Poland, has created feelings of resentment and not just now. I remember watching a documentary about the lavish spending of this budget on national infrastructure, that was a while ago.

Add this up with the local issues in the UK, which I'm sure pertain not only to just this one member state (or better yet: a portion of this member state; we must never generalize) but the whole border free travel and all those that make use of it in a way that upsets the local economy, and you have yourself a starting point.
    The Polish community was the first target of racial violence/vandalism after the Brexit result.

Quote Suspected racist graffiti at Polish cultural centre in London among incidents thought to be fuelled by vote to leave the EU

link Guardian
    Poland was also World War II's starting point. Should we pay attention? I don't know. It's two months until September.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Violet For This Post:

ulli (30th June 2016)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,382 times in 8,335 posts

Bono is a Complete Idiot

Paul Joseph Watson
    Published on 29 Aug 2018

Quote You'll never guess what the insufferable moron has said now....
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

8. The Following User Says Thank You to norman For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (30th August 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2