1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,308 times in 437 posts

Thumbs down APPLE patents remote control to turn iPhone's camera on/off

When are people going to wake up!

Apple can now shut off your camera.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2693262

And so ownership, privacy and other rights are gradually disappearing. Here are some other quick examples.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nsed-not-owned

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/

2. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 times in 1,357 posts

Default Re: APPLE patents remote control to turn iPhone's camera on/off

It's sick, all about manipulation, control, exclusion and limitation. That combination equals hate. Add money on top of it all and you have pure evil.
    Last edited by WhiteLove; 9th July 2016 at 18:08.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteLove For This Post:

ElfeMya (11th July 2016), KiwiElf (9th July 2016), Shannon (9th July 2016)

4. Link to Post #3
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Totally misleading & exaggerated title, OMG! - it's a patent ONLY! Did you not read your own links?

It DOES NOT (yet) ACTUALLY exist in an iPhone! (and no date on when it may (or may not) actually become a reality.
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 9th July 2016 at 19:11.

5. Link to Post #4
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by KiwiElf (here)
    Totally misleading & exaggerated title, OMG! - it's a patent ONLY! Did you not read your own links?

It DOES NOT (yet) ACTUALLY exist in an iPhone! (and no date on when it may (or may not) actually become a reality.
    Understood. We could argue that point but what's the point in that?

Consider that you can't patent something without it being a reality. So it's a reality whether or not it's "officially" on/in the phone. And who knows if it's on the phone now unless Apple says so...which means what exactly? That you believe them.

Most importantly the title and thread is about what this and similar things really leads to.

6. Link to Post #5
    Argentina Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,523 times in 661 posts

Samsung for me, thnx. I can't stand Apple.

7. Link to Post #6
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,605 times in 21,524 posts

I changed this thread's title from:
    APPLE now controls your camera's on/off function
    to:
    APPLE patents remote control to turn iPhone's camera on/off
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

ElfeMya (11th July 2016), Ioneo (9th July 2016), KiwiElf (9th July 2016), Magnus (12th July 2016), petra (9th February 2018)

9. Link to Post #7
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Althena (here)
    IF (and that's a very big IF...) the technology is introduced, rest assured it will be on every smartphone, not just Apple - as for Samsung, their "smart TV's" are already eavesdropping on you and recording your conversations
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 10th July 2016 at 01:42.

10. Link to Post #8
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Consider that you can't patent something without it being a reality.
    LOL - Then I suggest you look at the hundreds of patents for free energy and flying saucers which do not actually exist

11. Link to Post #9
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Consider that you can't patent something without it being a reality.
    LOL - Then I suggest you look at the hundreds of patents for free energy and flying saucers which do not actually exist

Apple's patents...

That's what I get for typing this thread on an iPhone while at a pool and in a quick manner.

12. Link to Post #10
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 times in 560 posts

Facebook Accused of Eavesdropping on Mobile Phone Conversations to Target Potential Consumers with Ads — But don’t fret, there’s an easy solution!

Facebook seems to have decided to cross the privacy line in making its advertising campaigns wide-ranging and almost surgical in its targeting. Previously we reported on the lawsuit filed against the social network for taking a sneak peek into private communications of its users in order to target ads and generate the maximum number of Likes.

Now an academic, Professor Kelli Burns, has accused the social networking giant of listening to mobile phone conversations of users through one of its features. Prof. Burns teaches Mass Communications at the University of South Florida and she has potentially opened up a Pandora’s Box by suggesting that official Facebook apps may have been eavesdropping on unsuspecting users.
    professor-accuses-facebook-of-spying-and-listening-to-users-conversation
    Professor Kelli Burns / Source: Usf.edu

Ms. Burns told NBC that: “I don’t think that people realize how much Facebook is tracking every move we’re making online. Anything that you’re doing on your phone, Facebook is watching.”

The professor claimed that Facebook’s app is actually spying on the users by gathering their audio data. The app tries to find out what the users are talking about so it may target them with relevant advertising based on data collected.

Prof. Burns also proved this by enabling the microphone feature on the ‘permissions’ of the app. In a conversation she said she would like to go on a safari: “I’m really interested in going on an African safari. I think it’d be wonderful to ride in one of those jeeps.”

Within 60 seconds a post appeared on her Facebook feed – this post was a story about safaris! This was not a coincidental story which happened to appear on her feed as having checked, she found that the story was some three hours old. Facebook acknowledged that the app does indeed have this feature but insisted that it just analyses people’s preferences so that suggestions may be made in the future. However, according to Prof. Burns, the app also gathers audio to listen to conversations for the purpose of making advertising via Facebook. She revealed that this didn’t come as a surprise to her at all.

Facebook maintains that it never listens to actual private conversations of mobile phone users, rather it listens for background sounds. According to the social network’s spokesperson: “Facebook does not use microphone audio to inform advertising or News Feed stories in any way. Businesses are able to serve relevant ads based on people’s interests and other demographic information, but not through the audio collection.”

https://www.hackread.com/facebook-li...-conversation/
    Last edited by 3(C)+me; 10th July 2016 at 01:34.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3(C)+me For This Post:

ElfeMya (11th July 2016), KiwiElf (9th July 2016)

14. Link to Post #11
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,430 times in 818 posts

Quote Posted by Althena (here)
    IF (and that's a very big IF...) the technology is introduced, rest assured it will be on every smartphone, not just Apple - as for Samsung, their "smart TV's" are already eavesdropping on you and recording your conversations
    If you compare Apple to Google, Apple seems to protect privacy a bit better. I don't know if I necessarily hate this feature if it can be controlled by the user. Would be handy if your phone was stolen or if you want to ease drop on your children.

The UnaPhone Zenith can potentially be a truly secure phone. I don't know if there are others that exist or in the works.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/u...e-smartphone#/

15. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,319 times in 10,234 posts

I have no apple products, I have no facebook, and I have no cell phone turned on (turned on maybe once every two weeks), and I'm always sure to have a cell phone where the battery can be removed in seconds.

solves a lot of problems.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (9th February 2018), Hervé (9th February 2018), KiwiElf (10th July 2016)

17. Link to Post #13
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,898 times in 15,481 posts

From Jim Stone:

Latest Iphone source code release

9 Feb 2018

People within Apple released the most basic code, central to the Iphone's existence, to Github in unencrypted form anyone could read. This is the code the NSA puts their bugs in, and now, no doubt, there are droves of programmers going over the code to reveal exactly how bad it is compromised. The exact operating system the code was for is IOS 9, which is a recent version, but not the latest IOS 11. 9 is probably good enough to tell all.

The media is focusing on how this can be used to jail break phones, but the real issue here (that they would never talk about) is the fact that you can bet foreign governments are combing their way through the Iphone's source code to see exactly where the NSA put their back doors in, and where the back doors might lead to.

This clearly demonstrates the risk companies face when they cooperate with intelligence agencies to produce products that are penetrable for some people, and not others. All it takes is someone who cares about the public more than they care about their job and the deep state to blow the whole thing wide open.

Obviously the linked article does not say this will pull the pants off the NSA yet again and instead stays on the sideline talking about jail breaking phones - but who would expect them to tell the public what is really going on with this?

The code that has been released is the exact code that allows them to keep the phone's microphone and camera on when it is turned off.

It is the code that will allow the NSA or others to plant "evidence" on your phone, or read everything on it in the background, without you ever noticing.

It is the code that will allow them to place specialized software on your phone without you ever knowing or seeing it, in case they want to add features to their spying abilities, such as applications that would cause the phone to continue recording it's location via GPS while you are out of reach of any cell tower, and then, when you are back in reach, send them a map of everywhere you went, what you said, and what you saw.

Out of box the phone probably does not have that ability simply because it would be risky when it ate memory space in the phone - astute users might notice, so the NSA would only use such applications in special cases.

Obviously they are not going to tell the public about this in any way that would really allow the public to know what is going on, but they can't stop the Russians, Iranians, and whoever else from getting a boost in their state security.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (9th February 2018), Franny (9th February 2018), KiwiElf (9th February 2018), Noelle (9th February 2018), petra (9th February 2018), ThePythonicCow (9th February 2018)

19. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,319 times in 10,234 posts

I don't have a iphone but I've had weird instances where my phone is fully charged, it is fully charged, it is fully charged.... and then, suddenly, in one day, it is completely drained.

that can only happen via one reason or cause. that the phone, on it's own, somehow..became very very busy.

I have nothing, no extraneous software on my phone.... and it is always turned off.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (9th February 2018), Hervé (9th February 2018), Noelle (9th February 2018), onevoice (9th February 2018)

+ Reply to Thread