+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Julian Assange's old website, IQ.org (pre-Wikileaks)

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Erin's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Julian Assange's old website, IQ.org (pre-Wikileaks)

Hey guys! This is my first topic post on here, so let me know if I did anything wrong.

I recently stumbled upon Julian Assange's old website, IQ.org (from June 2006 - August 2007, so just around the early days of Wikileaks), on the Wayback Machine (so it's no longer on the web, but it's been archived). It has a lot of interesting essays and thoughts from him, and I thought it could be of some interest to those who'd like to get some more insight into Julian the person.

I especially recommend an essay he wrote called "Conspiracy as Government." It's linked as a PDF download in the December 31, 2006 entry, but I reuploaded it to sendspace in case it disappears somehow.

Anyway, I'm still going through all of these entries, but since I'm still studying for finals, I haven't gotten through it all yet. Feel free to post anything you find interesting that you'd like to discuss.

IQ.org: http://web.archive.org/web/200710200...http://iq.org/
    Conspiracy as Government (PDF): http://www.sendspace.com/file/701orn

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Erin For This Post:

astrid (11th December 2010), Ba-ba-Ra (11th December 2010), Bill Ryan (11th December 2010), birddog (9th September 2014), damian (11th December 2010), fifi (11th December 2010), irishspirit (11th December 2010), jackovesk (11th December 2010), kanishk (9th November 2011), Malcolm Linus (11th December 2010), MorningSong (11th December 2010), onawah (12th December 2010), Ross (11th December 2010), shadowstalker (11th December 2010), Shikasta (13th December 2010), str8thinker (12th December 2010), sunflower (11th December 2010), witchy1 (12th December 2010)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 times in 414 posts

Default Re: Julian Assange's old website, IQ.org (pre-Wikileaks)

A great first topic, thank you.

Ross

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,422 times in 3,394 posts

Great sleuthing there cosmic !!

(from the above site.)

http://web.archive.org/web/20071020051936/http://iq.org/#Witnessing

Quote Wed 03 Jan 2007 : Witnessing

Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence and thereby eventually lose all ability to defend ourselves and those we love. In a modern economy it is impossible to seal oneself off from injustice.

If we have brains or courage, then we are blessed and called on not to frit these qualities away, standing agape at the ideas of others, winning pissing contests, improving the efficiencies of the neocorporate state, or immersing ourselves in obscuranta, but rather to prove the vigor of our talents against the strongest opponents of love we can find.

If we can only live once, then let it be a daring adventure that draws on all our powers. Let it be with similar types whos hearts and heads we may be proud of. Let our grandchildren delight to find the start of our stories in their ears but the endings all around in their wandering eyes.

The whole universe or the structure that perceives it is a worthy opponent, but try as I may I can not escape the sound of suffering. Perhaps as an old man I will take great comfort in pottering around in a lab and gently talking to students in the summer evening and will accept suffering with insouciance. But not now; men in their prime, if they have convictions are tasked to act on them
    Julian Assange
    Last edited by astrid; 14th December 2010 at 00:31.
    The greatest privilege of a human life is to become a
    midwife to the awakening of the Soul in another person.”
    ~ Plato

5. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Heres also a book he co wrote in 1997 called "Underground"

(Copyright (c) 1997, 2001 Suelette Dreyfus & Julian Assange.)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4686

From the above publication... ( JA went by the handle MENDAX)

Quote MENDAX

In 1992 Mendax and Trax teamed up with a wealthy Italian real-estate investor, purchased La Trobe University's mainframe computer (ironically, a machine they had been accused of hacking) and started a computer security company. The company eventually dissolved when the investor disappeared following actions by his creditors.

After a public confrontation in 1993 with Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett, Mendax and two others formed a civil rights organisation to fight corruption and lack of accountability in a Victorian government department. As part of this ongoing effort, Mendax acted as a conduit for leaked documents and became involved in a number of court cases against the department during 1993-94. Eventually, he gave evidence in camera to a state parliamentary committee examining the issues, and his organisation later facilitated the appearance of more than 40 witnesses at an investigation by the Auditor-General.

Mendax volunteers his time and computer expertise for several other non-profit community organisations. He believes strongly in the importance of the non-profit sector, and spends much of his free time as an activist on different community projects. Mendax has provided information or assistance to law-enforcement bodies, but not against hackers. He said, `I couldn't ethically justify that. But as for others, such as people who prey on children or corporate spies, I am not concerned about using my skills there.'

Still passionate about coding, Mendax donates his time to various international programming efforts and releases some of his programs for free on the Internet. His philosophy is that most of the lasting social advances in the history of man have been a direct result of new technology.

NorTel and a number of other organisations he was accused of hacking use his cryptography software—a fact he finds rather ironic.

Now if i had to take a stab at personality profiling him, i would say he is a strong candidate for Aspersgers. ( Remember Gary Mackinon ?? he is also ASP, and there are lots of similarities here).
    If im on the right track here, there is NO way he would be working for the wrong side, hes far too morally and ethically driven.

just my 2 cents....
    Last edited by astrid; 11th December 2010 at 10:58.
    ~ Plato

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to astrid For This Post:

fifi (11th December 2010), kudzy (15th December 2010), Lily de Cuir (22nd December 2010), Shikasta (13th December 2010), StephenW11UK (13th December 2010)

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,524 times in 32,788 posts

----------

This is really wonderful. Many thanks!

Two gems (of many on this page)

Wed 12 Jul 2006 : The cream of Australian Physics
    There are no unarguable axioms of value or worth, there are only
    inclinations and my inclinations have turned to an intense loathing
    of institutions, and most of the people in them; those spineless
    supplicants agape at the passing of other men's ideas, not drawn by
    desire, but driven by fear and ignorance, to the tepid hearth of
    institutionalism. One may argue as to the qualities of a passing man's
    wife, but as a life philosophy it can only appeal to self-loathing
    celibates. How much better the subjective stance which curls the mind
    around the lovely creature in one's embrace!

This perception etched into me when I attended an Australian
    Institute of Physics conference at ANU with 900 career physicists,
    the body of which were snivelling fearful conformists of woefully,
    woefully inferior character. For every Feynman or Lorentz, 100 pen
    pushing wretches scratching each others eyes out in academic
    committees or building better bombs for the DSTO (Defence Science &
    Technology Organisation), who had provided everyone with a bag,
    embossed with their logo, which most physicists pathetically lugged
    about with pride and ignorance.

A year before, also at ANU, I represented my university at the
    Australian National Physics Competition. At the prize ceremony, the
    head of ANU physics, motioned to us and said, 'You are the cream of
    Australian physics'. I looked around, and thought, 'Christ Almighty,
    I hope he's wrong'.
    Thu 08 Jun 2006 : The history of warfare
    The history of warfare is similarly subdivided, although here the phases
    are Retribution, Anticipation, and Diplomacy. Thus:
    • Retribution: I'm going to kill you because you killed my brother.
    • Anticipation: I'm going to kill you because I killed your brother.
    • Diplomacy: I'm going to kill my brother and then kill you on the pretext that your brother did it.

Anyone who thinks that Assange is an intel asset, maybe better think again. Webster Tarpley and other critics have clearly not done their research.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ahkenaten (11th December 2010), astrid (11th December 2010), Erin (11th December 2010), fifi (11th December 2010), jackovesk (11th December 2010), kanishk (9th November 2011), karelia (12th December 2010), Lily de Cuir (22nd December 2010), onawah (12th December 2010), StephenW11UK (13th December 2010)

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Yes for sure Bill... im with you, there is NO WAY
    ~ Plato

10. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Erin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Anyone who thinks that Assange is an intel asset, maybe better think again. Webster Tarpley and other critics have clearly not done their research.
    At this point I think this cannot be emphasized enough.

If you look at the guy from his past (20s to now), the "intel asset" profile just doesn't fit. He's the real deal.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Erin For This Post:

astrid (11th December 2010)

12. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/...0409-ryvf.html

Quote In 1997 an astonishing book was published in Melbourne. It sold a respectable 10,000 hard copies but, when it was made available free on the internet it was downloaded 400,000 times within two years.

Underground told the riveting inside story of the city's computer hackers and Assange was prominently billed in it as a researcher for the book's author, Dr Suelette Dreyfus, now an academic researcher. It opened with a detailed account of the NASA attack.

Dreyfus wrote glowingly of Assange's efforts: ''Julian had worked thousands of hours doing painstaking research; discovering and cultivating sources, digging with great resourcefulness into obscure data bases and legal papers - not to mention providing valuable editorial advice.''

The book did not name the Melbourne hackers but used their online identities and told their story. The records of Assange's court case and his biographical details on WikiLeaks match the story of Mendax - one of the hacker's online identities in Underground.

Mendax is described as a super intelligent child who never knew his father and was dragged from state to state by his mother who pursued a series of turbulent relationships.

In 1988, Mendax was 16 years old and living in Emerald in central Queensland - the age Assange was at that time. Dreyfus wrote: ''For a clever 16-year-old boy the place was dead boring. Mendax lived there with his mother; Emerald was merely a stopping point, one of dozens, as his mother shuttled her child around the continent trying to escape from a psychopathic former de facto.''

Dreyfus continued: ''Sometimes Mendax went to school. Often he didn't. The school system didn't hold much interest for him. It didn't feed his mind … The computer system was a far more interesting place to muck around in.''

She also wrote that Mendax had a deep voice for his age. Assange has a distinctively deep voice. Mendax fathered a son in his teens. Assange has said he has a son at university. Mendax suffered a breakdown after he was arrested by the police, and after a period in hospital he lived rough in the Dandenong Ranges outside Melbourne. When he finally appeared in court on the hacking charges, Assange was living in the Dandenongs.

Was this the story of Assange's life? Was he Mendax? Dreyfus will not say, citing the promise she made to the young hackers who had helped her with her book, that she would not disclose their identities. She is protective of and still obviously close to Assange.

She told the Herald this week: ''He is not politically motivated. He is more concerned with truth and the quest for it. He is certainly not party political. I think he sees that there are good people on both sides of politics and definitely bad people. He is a very brave person. He is absolutely convinced that it is worth taking high personal risks in exchange for getting truth out to the community.''

Among WikiLeaks' volunteers, those who are close to Assange are similarly protective and reluctant to speak on the record. They described on background this week a man whose traits would not be unexpected if they evolved from Mendax's turbulent and nomadic formative years. Assange, they say, is noticeably self reliant, self contained, resourceful and apt to keep a distance from others.

After his conviction, he stayed in Melbourne and built up his computer skills as programmer and as a developer of freeware.

He read widely on science and maths - he is largely self taught in most of his endeavours. He did enrol for a period at Melbourne University but did not complete his studies in mathematics.

Less convincingly answered by those who know him is whether Assange's quest to reveal secrets is the destiny of man moved by social conscience, or the natural progression of a highly intelligent child raised on the run, who found solace alone on a computer and anonymous camaraderie in cyber space.

For his epigraph in the online edition of Underground, Assange used an Oscar Wilde quote: ''Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.''

Is Mendax the real Julian Assange?
    (Julian himself has admitted to the "Mendax" handle in interviews -see the "inside wikileaks-uk" post)
    ~ Plato

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to astrid For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (11th December 2010), fifi (11th December 2010), karelia (12th December 2010), Lily de Cuir (22nd December 2010), Shikasta (13th December 2010), StephenW11UK (13th December 2010)

14. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 times in 272 posts

Thank you all for your researches. This really confirms my feeling that he is a genuine whistleblower. If he does not talk about 9/11 and Israel (as others point out to say that he is a "zionist" agent), probably because he knows that these are "taboo" subjects, and he and his family would suffer worst consequences for it. Who knows, my guess is maybe these are in the encryptic files, that if he dies or something happens to his family, these will come out. Now that we know he is a real deal, I am really concerned about him, being so vulnerable now in jail.

15. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Same here fifi, im concerned also for his welfare, he is in my thoughts and prayers.....
    ~ Plato

16. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thank-you cosmiciagoon

17. Link to Post #12
    Cayman Islands Deactivated
    Thanks

One thing I can't get past about him is why does he believe the official US version of 9/11?

--sjkted

18. Link to Post #13
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 times in 727 posts

CosmicLagoon your name should be Cosmic Truth Soldier. Kudos to you for your investigation that sheds more light on the character of Julian Assange. Sjkted I know people say JA believes the official version of 9/11 - but do you have any quotes as to exactly what he has said? There are other respectable journalists (I am thinking of Justin Raimundo at Antiwar.com) have avoided stepping directly publicly into the 9/11 conspiracy theories but who knows what they say privately among friends and colleagues?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahkenaten For This Post:

fifi (11th December 2010)

20. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

I think I saw a clip of him a while ago at a public conference saying that 9/11 truthers annoy him and that there are real conspiracies.

--sjkted

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sjkted For This Post:

Ahkenaten (11th December 2010)

22. Link to Post #15
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 times in 727 posts

It's clear that he pissed alot of people off with that

23. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,488 times in 2,183 posts

I found his co-written book in pdf "Underground" here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~suelette/under...nderground.pdf
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

24. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 times in 414 posts

A little more in the life of JA...

Controversial whistleblower Julian Assange was "a very bright boy with a keen sense of right and wrong" when he was growing up, according to his stepfather.
    The young Assange grew up constantly on the move, the son of parents who were in the theater business in Australia.

Brett Assange, who now lives alone in Sydney, was Julian's first real dad, raising him from the age of one and giving him his surname.
    In an exclusive interview with CNN affiliate Seven News, he described his stepson as a "sharp kid who always fought for the underdog."

He added: "Strangely enough I always thought he would do something like this. He was always very independent. And he certainly wouldn't take no for an answer.

"He always stood up for the underdog. I remember that, like with his school friends. He was always very angry about people ganging up on other people. He had a really good sense of equality and equity."

Assange has been described by his mother, Christine, as "highly intelligent."

He was just 16 when she bought him a Commodore 64 computer. It was 1987, and there were no Web sites. Assange attached a modem to his computer and began his journey through the growing world of computer networks.

"It's like chess," he told New Yorker magazine. "Chess is very austere in that you don't have many rules, there is no randomness and the problem is very hard."

Though his mother raised him without any religious influence, she sensed that from a tender age, her son was led by a strong desire to do what he perceived as just.

"He was a lovely boy, very sensitive, good with animals, quiet and has a wicked sense of humor," she told the Melbourne, Australia, Herald Sun newspaper Wednesday.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ross For This Post:

astrid (12th December 2010), fifi (11th December 2010)

26. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,524 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by sjkted (here)
    I think I saw a clip of him a while ago at a public conference saying that...
    Not very useful information!

(This doesn't qualify as research data: impossible for anyone to check, only feeds rumors, and might not be true or accurate.)

27. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

What's wierd is I can't seem to find the clip after a bunch of searching... I know I did see it.

--sjkted

28. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 times in 390 posts

Wed 03 Jan 2007 : The Australian lagoon
    Australia is a lagoon in a sea of english which, having no translation tarrif, washes over us, sweeps our new thoughts away and blends into those that remain, until we no longer know whose thoughts we are.

Industries can dump pig iron to crush foreign production and they can also dump words. Billions of these ideas, already produced for another english market and having no translation tarrifs or transport costs slither into the country unheeded, stricken local journalists and set their burrows in our brains.

We're part of the big english world; this is our reality -- so when we fight, we must fight like kings. When we write about the sea we must write to the sea.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast