+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Most Miraculous Blessing...or Monumental Curse! What would you do!?

1. Link to Post #1
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,759 times in 4,341 posts

Default The Most Miraculous Blessing...or Monumental Curse! What would you do!?

Received some staggering news yesterday that knocked me for a loop. It was a 'wow, no way! Seriously?' sort of moment that I'm still trying to wrap my head around!

What follows is a little story, involving huuuge implications for the individual and those around him.

I work in a relatively tight-knit group/department, and there's a few of us who've been there for many years. One of them, I'll call him Jim, was a close colleague who recently announced his retirement. We all thought it a little strange, he was only mid to late fifties, and taking early retirement is a luxury that most at his age cannot afford. He wasn't leaving for a new job – it really was retirement, and he cited general tiredness and aching joints as another reason. He just couldn't do it anymore. Fair enough we all thought, good luck to you mate!

A little time went by, and we didn't hear anything more from Jim. Strange, as many of us socialize out of work or at least stay in contact. We'd often have a drink after work, and at the weekends play golf. Jim was one of my golf buddies during the summers, so I would definitely call him a friend, more so than simply a colleague. And there were others closer to him than me. But even they heard nothing more from Jim. And he didn't play golf anymore. It was as if Jim had fallen off the edge of the earth.

More time went by, and though Jim wasn't forgotten, it was simply accepted that Jim had moved on, was doing his own thing enjoying his retirement, and that was that. Until yesterday, when I heard some news.

I was with a work partner, Mike, a good friend with whom I've worked closely with in the job since 2004, (alongside Jim) and he was moaning and groaning about how he just couldn't take this s__t anymore. I agreed. I know his pain. The job wasn't the same, the managers were all [insert expletive], all these new rules, regs and restrictions were sucking the life (and joy – what little there was) from our work environment. He wanted to take early retirement, like Jim, but just couldn't afford it. 'Jim did a runner on all of us, he said. Lucky bastard…'

I replied, 'what are you talking about? '

Quietly, Mike replied, 'No one ever said anything about what happened to Jim...but I still see his daughter from time to time, so I know.' 'Know what?' I asked. 'I shouldn't really say anything, but **** it, who cares anymore.'

And then I found out (and later received confirmation from another source). 'Jim won the lottery, didn't he.'

OMG

He did. And not just the National Lottery as it turns out, he won the "Euromillions" (European-wide lottery). It is believed he pocketed some tens of millions of pounds. On a side-note, he is the second person from my department (only about 30 people) who have won the lottery! About 7 or 8 years ago another guy netted about 3 million I think – he also 'disappeared' without a trace, taking early retirement at aged 22.

I couldn't believe this. Jim, a multi-multi-millionaire. And he took off without a word (except a lie, actually).

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this stroke of fortune changed Jim, a really nice, affable down-to-earth guy, with whom I have shared many many laughs (and a few beers) – not to mention rounds of golf. After this, never heard from him again. I felt most sorry for Mike though, who's even a few years older than Jim. He wants desperately to retire, but can't afford it. All Jim had to do was write (from his great fortune) a very small cheque indeed, say a hundred grand, and he would make it so. Mike never directly heard from Jim again either. Jim basically packed up his life and disappeared (he's maybe swanning around in his mansion in St. Tropez right now – or who knows?)

I don't begrudge Jim at all. The more I think about it, the more frightening the idea of massive wealth is to me. Imagine it. Imagine the attraction of no limits, no boundaries, no restrictions at all. Imagine the...lure of all things self-indulgent, that you've never been able to afford before. But then consider the potential cost (of a different kind than financial). Someone has to lose out. Sometimes many lose out. What of your former friends for example, or even those in your closest circle? Because now YOU have ultimate power to determine who gets what, and how much, or nothing at all; you literally have the Power over so many people's lives, now and for the rest of their lives. What a responsibility, what a burden!

There is with wealth a really big moral impasse. How much power will temptation have over you? There is always going to be a natural materialistic desire to horde/save/invest/spend, but in contrast to this (at least with me) there would be the very strong tug of conscience, that says you must do something good, you must do something beneficial, not just for the people around you, but for humanity (I can envision an Avalon Project going BIG, for example, going mainstream).

In my opinion wealth, supreme multi-million pound/dollar wealth, can be as much a curse as it is a blessing. I think Jim may have lost more than he gained. I wonder where he is now. I wonder if he regrets what happened. Maybe he's still in a place of such great enjoyment he hasn't got there yet, or simply doesn't care. He's mega rich, right? How long though before conscience comes calling? As I still try to process this news, I ask the question:

-What would you do if millions just fell on your lap out of a clear blue sky?

-And how would it change you?

Or in a different analysis, what would you THINK, and how would you react, if a friend or relative won this amount of money? Because from here on, everything would change (including them, unfortunately).
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

animovado (25th July 2016), Basho (24th July 2016), boja (22nd July 2016), ElfeMya (23rd July 2016), Eram (23rd July 2016), Foxie Loxie (22nd July 2016), gaiagirl (23rd July 2016), Heyoka_11 (24th July 2016), justntime2learn (30th August 2016), kirolak (24th July 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016), Lifebringer (23rd July 2016), marique3652 (24th July 2016), Matt P (24th July 2016), Michelle Marie (23rd July 2016), petra (25th July 2016), raff (22nd July 2016), Sean (24th July 2016), Spirithorse (22nd July 2016), Sueanne47 (23rd July 2016), T Smith (23rd July 2016), ulli (22nd July 2016), WhiteLove (22nd July 2016), william r sanford72 (29th August 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 times in 1,357 posts

Default Re: The Most Miraculous Blessing...or Monumental Curse! What would you do!?

I think that when you receive that much money, what is going to be new is how to keep all of that money because when you have that amount of money you don't want to see it gone in some mysterious "what happened" way. So that's one part of the new situation, how that will affect you, again how you play that situation is going to determine what kind of state of being it will produce. But other than that I can't believe there is much other stress about the situation other than now you have access to tons of options you did not have access to before. You can switch from a life style when you had to do certain things, into a life style when you can decide what to do and what not to do. And if you then invest the money with a good intent, say into your life passion out of the joy that brings to yourself and others, maybe to some charity that represents who you are, maybe to realize dreams you've had all of your life and stuff like that, money is now a positive power that you've gained access to in order to realize your dreams before you die. So in the hands of a wise man, lots of money is similar to lots of access and when you get access to good stuff, that's great.

If I would suddenly get that much money unexpectedly, I would feel blessed and it would change my life positively because I would know exactly how to spend the money and due to what intent...
    Last edited by WhiteLove; 22nd July 2016 at 16:15.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WhiteLove For This Post:

animovado (25th July 2016), Basho (24th July 2016), kirolak (24th July 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (23rd July 2016), Michelle Marie (23rd July 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,389 times in 1,715 posts

Default Re: The Most Miraculous Blessing...or Monumental Curse! What would you do!?

You didn't mention how such a fortune would change the people around you friends and family.

Friends and family may feel it is their right to the winnings also and if Jim doesn't provide them with what they believe they would be entitled to it could ruin relationships. That's maybe why he took off quietly.

Personally I would go around quietly helping family friends pay off debts and buy things I can tell they need.
    Make some donations to help different worth while causes for example new blankets and bedding for the mental institute my best friend has on occassion gone to, and new sets of clothing and foot wear for patience.
    It would make me feel happy knowing that I can do more for others less fortunate than myself, and also knowing that my actions may change some people for the better.
    Last edited by BMJ; 22nd July 2016 at 17:41.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

Basho (24th July 2016), kirolak (24th July 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (23rd July 2016), Michelle Marie (23rd July 2016), T Smith (23rd July 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Jhonie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,347 times in 244 posts

Personally if I won that kind of money I would HAVE to not let any of my family know because I know one relative that would kill me for it.
    Blessed Be to You and Me.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jhonie For This Post:

animovado (25th July 2016), Basho (24th July 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (23rd July 2016), Michelle Marie (23rd July 2016), T Smith (23rd July 2016), ulli (22nd July 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,098 times in 2,584 posts

I already worked this out earlier before I saw this post.

I live a simple life, and that will not change. I have a sharing system in mind...

I'll share with innovative people and projects. There are a lot of good people with a clear perception of their life purpose -- their contribution to humanity -- that could use financial backing. I'll find them, or they will find me. First my projects will be funded, then the revenue will fund others.

Charity for humanitarian purposes.

Personally, I don't need money. Treasures in heaven are better!

Love,
    MM
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

animovado (25th July 2016), Basho (24th July 2016), EFO (24th July 2016), Heyoka_11 (24th July 2016), kirolak (24th July 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (23rd July 2016), petra (25th July 2016), raff (23rd July 2016), T Smith (23rd July 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

Sorry, Jim is a s***.

I won't talk to my youngest sister after she pulled that stunt too. There is no excuse for not sharing your new-found wealth. Only ignorant, greedy, sub-human people would sink to such levels.
    And that sister, since that greedy win has had the worst luck ever, but I won't get into it.

Disgusting behavior. Massive wins like that are meant to be shared. Half goes to everyone you know, making instant millionaires out of all your circle. The other half is yours to keep. Duh

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

animovado (25th July 2016), kirolak (24th July 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016), lake (23rd July 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (23rd July 2016), Matt P (24th July 2016), meeradas (29th July 2016), petra (25th July 2016), raff (23rd July 2016)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 times in 220 posts

I thought about such scenario.

I would approach each of my friends and family, and ask for their help. whatever amount they give to me, return it tenfold.
    Then the rest would be used to power up projects that tap into the creative mind.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skyflower For This Post:

Heyoka_11 (24th July 2016), kirolak (24th July 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th July 2016)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

I think that the people that hit the lotto spend time around the family, knowing they've gotten a blessing and if they deem them trust worthy, will share. Sometimes friends are "associates, someone your seen for years, and still really don't know them, just know of them. Sometimes these friends have grimy or criminal friends, and therefore can't share. It's about safety or survival in this world as it is today, and staying aware of those who may one day prove to be unworthy because of past behaviors or, "loose lips under drink."(can't keep a secret, no matter what)
    Did they change the phone number to protect themselves?
    You betcha.

As for me if I were to be that blessed, I'd look within the family for those scrambling for the 1st college grad over generations or the 2nd in the family that just didn't have the same highest grade, to gain a skill to one day build upon a business that would 'service" to what other brethren in the world may need to survive. My prices would be fair and if the business was good, I'd hire from my own town to make it too prosper. Solar panel assembly, windmill components and wiring to make the job installing more efficient and prosperous in both the nation and world. I'd also attempt to bring together the family via GPS an emergency family shelter where we all could meet up for solutions if earthquakes, meteors, or tsunami flooding occurs. WE need a safe haven, and that is forefront on my mind, but I question myself on whether that shows lack of faith, or like Noah, getting the 411 on what's next that could make me have to use the survival skills I've obtained over the years? Gotta brush up after the car accident last year, but...whatever comes, you can only kill me once.
    Last edited by Lifebringer; 23rd July 2016 at 14:58. Reason: mispellings

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

kirolak (24th July 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th July 2016)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Buzzie's Avatar
    Thanks

I sense some envy here.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Buzzie For This Post:

animovado (25th July 2016), Heyoka_11 (24th July 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th July 2016), rgray222 (24th July 2016)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,418 times in 1,676 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    Sorry, Jim is a s***.

I won't talk to my youngest sister after she pulled that stunt too. There is no excuse for not sharing your new-found wealth. Only ignorant, greedy, sub-human people would sink to such levels.
    And that sister, since that greedy win has had the worst luck ever, but I won't get into it.

Disgusting behavior. Massive wins like that are meant to be shared. Half goes to everyone you know, making instant millionaires out of all your circle. The other half is yours to keep. Duh
    Money is a mysterious thing indeed. And I'd argue, money is not well understood by most people, if understood at all. Aside from the utter control it casts over we plebs, via a system created and weaponized by a very small group of power brokers who may not even share biological ties to our species, it is primarily a means of control, power, and enslavement--not greed (this is a point largely misunderstood). But we might simplify its yolk for sake of this discussion as nothing more than a measure of human energy. So if you wrap your brain around what energy is, in the raw, it is nothing less than a measure of power. The energy of a battery will power a flashlight. The energy of a star will power an entire planet, etc. Energy is power.

Now:

Say your sister was struck by some paranormal ray of lightening and was somehow granted unlimited power, to move objects, cure diseases, control people's actions, thoughts, movements, emotions, etc. She even has the power to control their very opinions and ideas.

How would you suggest she employ this power? What exactly should she do with it? What if her ideas of what are "good" for humanity, or let's just say, what is good for her inner circle of family and friends conflicts with their own ideas and free will? Does she have the right to exercise that power over their lives anyway? (Remember, in our hypothetical she has omniscient powers). Or, let's say we agree Universal Law says she doesn't have the right to exercise the power over their own lives, would she be expected to upon request? Either by them or from others? And if so, when and where do the deliverance of her inner circle's expectations--and all those who would invariably cast a wide net of expectations--cross the line and begin to exert a type of "power and control" over her own free will? On the opposite end of this hypothetical your sister could become utterly enslaved to the needs and desires of others. In this particular thought experiment, at what point do these others need to take responsibility for their own existence on this planet and direct their own lives?

I'm not saying I know the answer to these questions, just something to consider. I typically advocate for free-will and human freedom, without chains, domestication, dependency, and social manipulation, so any discussions about the "power over others", in any iteration--and money plays a huge factor here--are very dicey for me.

I will say this: if I won the lottery, I would indeed "share" my winnings. Quite generously. But it would be completely anonymously, and it would be such where my circle had no idea of the role I played in their fortune. This would be very fun game to play. Any, yes, I would probably experience some guilt playing it, for no matter how you slice it, I would be exerting a form of power over their lives exclusive of their own choices and decisions as free human beings. As for me, they would not know I won the lottery, because my life would not change from their perspective. I would not be dishonest about money, nor hide it, but it just wouldn't produce a glaring ramification. Money can facilitate achieving the things I value, but it can't really buy it, nor produce a tangible remnant.
    Last edited by T Smith; 23rd July 2016 at 16:41.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

animovado (25th July 2016), bettye198 (26th July 2016), kirolak (24th July 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th July 2016), raff (23rd July 2016)

21. Link to Post #11
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by T Smith (here)
    Sorry, Jim is a s***.

Money is a mysterious thing indeed. And I'd argue, money is not well understood by most people, if understood at all. Aside from the utter control it casts over we plebs, via a system created and weaponized by a very small group of power brokers who may not even share biological ties to our species, it is primarily a means of control, power, and enslavement--not greed (this is a point largely misunderstood). But we might simplify its yolk for sake of this discussion as nothing more than a measure of human energy. So if you wrap your brain around what energy is, in the raw, it is nothing less than a measure of power. The energy of a battery will power a flashlight. The energy of a star will power an entire planet, etc. Energy is power.

Now:

Say your sister was struck by some paranormal ray of lightening and was somehow granted unlimited power, to move objects, cure diseases, control people's actions, thoughts, movements, emotions, etc. She even has the power to control their very opinions and ideas.

How would you suggest she employ this power? What exactly should she do with it? What if her ideas of what are "good" for humanity, or let's just say, what is good for her inner circle of family and friends conflicts with their own ideas and free will? Does she have the right to exercise that power over their lives anyway? (Remember, in our hypothetical she has omniscient powers). Or, let's say we agree Universal Law says she doesn't have the right to exercise the power over their own lives, would she be expected to upon request? Either by them or from others? And if so, when and where do the deliverance of her inner circle's expectations--and all those who would invariably cast a wide net of expectations--cross the line and begin to exert a type of "power and control" over her own free will? On the opposite end of this hypothetical your sister could become utterly enslaved to the needs and desires of others. In this particular thought experiment, at what point do these others need to take responsibility for their own existence on this planet and direct their own lives?

I'm not saying I know the answer to these questions, just something to consider. I typically advocate for free-will and human freedom, without chains, domestication, dependency, and social manipulation, so any discussions about the "power over others", in any iteration--and money plays a huge factor here--are very dicey for me.

I will say this: if I won the lottery, I would indeed "share" my winnings. Quite generously. But it would be completely anonymously, and it would be such where my circle had no idea of the role I played in their fortune. This would be very fun game to play. Any, yes, I would probably experience some guilt playing it, for no matter how you slice it, I would be exerting a form of power over their lives exclusive of their own choices and decisions as free human beings. As for me, they would not know I won the lottery, because my life would not change from their perspective. I would not be dishonest about money, nor hide it, but it just wouldn't produce a glaring ramification. Money can facilitate achieving the things I value, but it can't really buy it, nor produce a tangible remnant.

Sorry to be so profane but F#ck power over another how about taking the stress out of the lives of one's nearest and dearest and then close and deserving friends and causes who are gasping for support and love. It is funny that when one is in dire need the required help and support is infinitely welcomed than those who are relatively well off. And it is a worthless (has not learned the value) and poor (of little earthly experience) soul who selfishly hordes their gold.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to raff For This Post:

EFO (24th July 2016), kirolak (24th July 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th July 2016), T Smith (23rd July 2016)

23. Link to Post #12
    England Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,327 times in 899 posts

If I won multi millions it certainly wouldnt go to my rotten family, and 'friends' I've known that I grew to love was all over me one minute...couldnt care less the next.

What I would do is have a ((((MASSIVE)))) animal sanctuary in a nice place so all the dogs in China could be sent to me instead of being boiled and eaten in Yulin, and stripped for their fur. I would look after and love all the mistreated horses and heavily laiden donkeys, elephants and babies...free from poachers, also orangutans and monkeys, and I would take all the rabbits rats and mice from the labs, chickens pigs etc. so they can all have peace & love.

Imagine all the people...living life in peace ~ John Lennon

No spiders of any kind though!

Sue

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sueanne47 For This Post:

BMJ (29th July 2016), Heyoka_11 (24th July 2016), kirolak (24th July 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th July 2016), markoid (24th July 2016), Matt P (24th July 2016), raff (23rd July 2016)

25. Link to Post #13
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,572 times in 1,716 posts

Quote -What would you do if millions just fell on your lap out of a clear blue sky?

Due to some fortunate and unfortunate events (today I called those events synchronicity) of my young life,big piles of money has passed through my hands/pockets and I could easily ruin my life,but I learned amazingly fast that money is not a necessary or important thing in life.From where I learned at that time,I don't know...I simply withdraw from that "zone" and after 20 years from that times I can say today that I'm cured for ever of having money and I'm very glad of that.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

justntime2learn (30th August 2016), kirolak (24th July 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th July 2016), raff (23rd July 2016)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 times in 285 posts

Quote Posted by Sueanne47 (here)
    ''''
    What I would do is have a ((((MASSIVE)))) animal sanctuary in a nice place so all the dogs in China could be sent to me instead of being boiled and eaten in Yulin, and stripped for their fur. I would look after and love all the mistreated horses and heavily laiden donkeys, elephants and babies.... so they can all have peace & love.

Sue
    Lovely , kind sentiments, SueAnne;
    Only problem,,,, you'd then be financing an industry :-(

difficult to know, except by hard, cold instinct, where and how to help......
    [ side note - do you watch UKColumn.org NEWS ?; discloses that the very institutions which SHOULD help, NSPCC , Barnados, Police etc, etc, use their position, to further the Satanic Rituals and abuse...]

I ons day saw a young man, ( who lived near me ), run out of Petrol, some miles from the Petrol Station, I loaned the Petrol can , I ususally carried, saying he can replace it during the week.............

After three weeks, losing my cool, and [ luckily didn't get hold of him ! ], he finally replaced it .......

with 50 % Petrol..........and 50 % WATER......... So, be wary of where you share your kind heart or your kindness !

[ off-topic -re:- your 'Bible ' post, ......... '''''' and some fall on stony ground, and wither away.... ] :-))

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frenchy For This Post:

Jhonie (24th July 2016), justntime2learn (30th August 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th July 2016), Sueanne47 (23rd July 2016)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Hi Frenchy,

ohh yessss.... I've been hurt by people too many times to count, and most I've found are not genuine. Its so strange though that I saw a Simon Parkes video that mentioned Project Avalon and I thought mmm.. I'll go check it out, well I went and posted my 1st thread on the bible and whooooosh! all the lovely posts I got and the many private messages I got it was like a big Tsunami of love, I've never known anything like it Frenchy,

I tell you one thing though I've learned about people along the way....all those that hurt me I didnt have much in common with and I couldnt talk to them at length about anything in depth because they didnt care much about what's going on in the world around them, people have to care more to make everything better. Everyone on the forum DOES care!

I'll have a look at UKcolumn.orgnews..

Sue
    Last edited by Sueanne47; 23rd July 2016 at 21:49.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sueanne47 For This Post:

Heyoka_11 (24th July 2016), justntime2learn (30th August 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th July 2016)

31. Link to Post #16
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,593 times in 941 posts

Quote Posted by Sueanne47 (here)
    No spiders of any kind though!

They're only doing their spidery thing after all

Toughen up princess!

32. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member Sean's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,659 times in 387 posts

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    Received some staggering news yesterday that knocked me for a loop. It was a 'wow, no way! Seriously?' sort of moment that I'm still trying to wrap my head around!

What follows is a little story, involving huuuge implications for the individual and those around him.

I work in a relatively tight-knit group/department, and there's a few of us who've been there for many years. One of them, I'll call him Jim, was a close colleague who recently announced his retirement. We all thought it a little strange, he was only mid to late fifties, and taking early retirement is a luxury that most at his age cannot afford. He wasn't leaving for a new job – it really was retirement, and he cited general tiredness and aching joints as another reason. He just couldn't do it anymore. Fair enough we all thought, good luck to you mate!

A little time went by, and we didn't hear anything more from Jim. Strange, as many of us socialize out of work or at least stay in contact. We'd often have a drink after work, and at the weekends play golf. Jim was one of my golf buddies during the summers, so I would definitely call him a friend, more so than simply a colleague. And there were others closer to him than me. But even they heard nothing more from Jim. And he didn't play golf anymore. It was as if Jim had fallen off the edge of the earth.

More time went by, and though Jim wasn't forgotten, it was simply accepted that Jim had moved on, was doing his own thing enjoying his retirement, and that was that. Until yesterday, when I heard some news.

I was with a work partner, Mike, a good friend with whom I've worked closely with in the job since 2004, (alongside Jim) and he was moaning and groaning about how he just couldn't take this s__t anymore. I agreed. I know his pain. The job wasn't the same, the managers were all [insert expletive], all these new rules, regs and restrictions were sucking the life (and joy – what little there was) from our work environment. He wanted to take early retirement, like Jim, but just couldn't afford it. 'Jim did a runner on all of us, he said. Lucky bastard…'

I replied, 'what are you talking about? '

Quietly, Mike replied, 'No one ever said anything about what happened to Jim...but I still see his daughter from time to time, so I know.' 'Know what?' I asked. 'I shouldn't really say anything, but **** it, who cares anymore.'

And then I found out (and later received confirmation from another source). 'Jim won the lottery, didn't he.'

OMG

He did. And not just the National Lottery as it turns out, he won the "Euromillions" (European-wide lottery). It is believed he pocketed some tens of millions of pounds. On a side-note, he is the second person from my department (only about 30 people) who have won the lottery! About 7 or 8 years ago another guy netted about 3 million I think – he also 'disappeared' without a trace, taking early retirement at aged 22.

I couldn't believe this. Jim, a multi-multi-millionaire. And he took off without a word (except a lie, actually).

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this stroke of fortune changed Jim, a really nice, affable down-to-earth guy, with whom I have shared many many laughs (and a few beers) – not to mention rounds of golf. After this, never heard from him again. I felt most sorry for Mike though, who's even a few years older than Jim. He wants desperately to retire, but can't afford it. All Jim had to do was write (from his great fortune) a very small cheque indeed, say a hundred grand, and he would make it so. Mike never directly heard from Jim again either. Jim basically packed up his life and disappeared (he's maybe swanning around in his mansion in St. Tropez right now – or who knows?)

I don't begrudge Jim at all. The more I think about it, the more frightening the idea of massive wealth is to me. Imagine it. Imagine the attraction of no limits, no boundaries, no restrictions at all. Imagine the...lure of all things self-indulgent, that you've never been able to afford before. But then consider the potential cost (of a different kind than financial). Someone has to lose out. Sometimes many lose out. What of your former friends for example, or even those in your closest circle? Because now YOU have ultimate power to determine who gets what, and how much, or nothing at all; you literally have the Power over so many people's lives, now and for the rest of their lives. What a responsibility, what a burden!

There is with wealth a really big moral impasse. How much power will temptation have over you? There is always going to be a natural materialistic desire to horde/save/invest/spend, but in contrast to this (at least with me) there would be the very strong tug of conscience, that says you must do something good, you must do something beneficial, not just for the people around you, but for humanity (I can envision an Avalon Project going BIG, for example, going mainstream).

In my opinion wealth, supreme multi-million pound/dollar wealth, can be as much a curse as it is a blessing. I think Jim may have lost more than he gained. I wonder where he is now. I wonder if he regrets what happened. Maybe he's still in a place of such great enjoyment he hasn't got there yet, or simply doesn't care. He's mega rich, right? How long though before conscience comes calling? As I still try to process this news, I ask the question:

-What would you do if millions just fell on your lap out of a clear blue sky?

Or in a different analysis, what would you THINK, and how would you react, if a friend or relative won this amount of money? Because from here on, everything would change (including them, unfortunately).
    The bolded bit there is why Jim was right to leave as he did.

You're already making judgments about what he should do. and, to be honest, you sound(understandably) envious as well.

Jim was right to lie, and to slip away. when people find out you're rich(or famous) they change. Not the person, so much... The people AROUND that person. Jim has NO RESPONSIBLITY AT ALL to anyone except those he was providing for anyway. He doesn't have to give Mike retirement money, or pay anyone's bills, or put anyone's kids through college etc etc etc except his own. If he decides to financially support certain people, or organizations, for whatever reason, they're his reasons, and nobody's business.

Or he could buy an island and ****k off, away from civilization. His choice.

I'll tell ya: If I ever win big at the lottery, the only people that will know it will be the lottery, the VERY SMALL list of friends/family I tell, and the IRS. I won't even do the photo op with the "big check" at a press conference. You might as well paint a target on your back, if you do.

Jim sounds like a very smart man.

Edit: "I don't begrudge Jim at all".. buuuuuuulllshiiiit, yes you do
    Last edited by Sean; 24th July 2016 at 00:37.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sean For This Post:

BMJ (29th July 2016), Heartsong (28th July 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th July 2016), Orph (31st July 2016)

34. Link to Post #18
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,027 times in 2,189 posts

Sorry, Jim is a s***.

Why would you want to ruin the live of so many people close to you?

35. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Ooh that's rotten Tony!!!

When I saw that lot I went uuuuuggghhhhhhh!
    Last edited by Sueanne47; 24th July 2016 at 02:38.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Sueanne47 For This Post:

Heyoka_11 (24th July 2016)

37. Link to Post #20
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,056 times in 1,753 posts

I would have to take a long time, like an ENT to consider what I would do, I would help my immediate family as much as I could to begin with then i would take a year to travel and think, just take my time and make zero noise about it, after that year I would begin to act and put into motion the leverage the money represents, small actions can lead to large outcomes so it would take a lot of thought!

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

Heyoka_11 (24th July 2016), kirolak (24th July 2016), KiwiElf (25th July 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast