+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Downsizing shelter and expenses

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Default Downsizing shelter and expenses

Shelter can be mobile or fixed.

Some significant problems with building tiny homes are the local building code regulations. If you can supply your own water, electricity and have a composting toilet, you may only need to rent some real estate from a farmer. If neighbors do not complain it is a big plus. If a tiny house is built on a trailer with wheels, it is not taxed (here in Virginia) as a residence so the real estate tax man can be avoided.

Campers of various types can be one way around the building code issues. In many areas campgrounds are available. Here are examples of how some people have become nomads. Shelter, life on the road. The ability to move to a new location may become very valuable.

Rainwater, in many areas, can supply much of one's needs if harvested and filtered correctly.

If one has food, one should have a composting toilet. Hauling water to flush is rarely a good idea.
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 23rd July 2016 at 16:23.

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Alekahn2 (24th July 2016), Annacarl (28th October 2022), Baby Steps (23rd July 2016), Bill Ryan (28th October 2022), EFO (23rd July 2016), ghostrider (23rd July 2016), Inversion (16th December 2016), Johnnycomelately (6th January 2023), Linderlou (24th July 2016), littleOne (23rd July 2016), Matt P (23rd July 2016), Michelle Marie (24th July 2016), Nasu (24th July 2016), NeedleThreader (24th July 2016), palehorse (6th January 2023), Pam (28th October 2022), Peace in Oz (28th October 2022), robinr1 (23rd July 2016), RunningDeer (23rd July 2016), seko (23rd July 2016), sijohn (23rd July 2016), Stephanie (23rd July 2016), Vrinda (15th December 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,568 times in 1,716 posts

Default Re: Downsizing shelter and expenses

Hi Ron,

A few weeks ago I've took a peek on your web site and I found interesting ideas "How to...",but many of them could be applied only in US and probably in Canada.Therefor,I kindly ask you if you want to transform this thread into a thread where Avalon members could describe the particularities of building houses in their own lands.

Many thanks.
    Adrian

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th October 2022), Michelle Marie (24th July 2016), Nasu (25th July 2016), Pam (28th October 2022), Peace in Oz (28th October 2022), Ron Mauer Sr (23rd July 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Quote Posted by EFO (here)
    Hi Ron,

A few weeks ago I've took a peek on your web site and I found interesting ideas "How to...",but many of them could be applied only in US and probably in Canada.Therefor,I kindly ask you if you want to transform this thread into a thread where Avalon members could describe the particularities of building houses in their own lands.

Many thanks.
    Adrian
    All forum members are free to add helpful information to this thread that may be relevant to their country of residence.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th October 2022), EFO (24th July 2016), Michelle Marie (24th July 2016), Nasu (25th July 2016), Pam (28th October 2022), Peace in Oz (28th October 2022), Vrinda (15th December 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

Skills that need to be learned again, building shelter, getting your own water, supplying your own food, making your own energy according to your needs... something past cultures did very well, they had no Walmart, no clothing store, no power company et... the world is enslaved to a lifestyle of dependence... it's good to down size, and get expenses down to a practical number...tiny homes are awesome, you really need a friend or family member who has property outside the city limits...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th October 2022), EFO (24th July 2016), Matt P (24th July 2016), Michelle Marie (24th July 2016), Nasu (25th July 2016), Vrinda (15th December 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    Skills that need to be learned again, building shelter, getting your own water, supplying your own food, making your own energy according to your needs... something past cultures did very well, they had no Walmart, no clothing store, no power company et... the world is enslaved to a lifestyle of dependence... it's good to down size, and get expenses down to a practical number...tiny homes are awesome, you really need a friend or family member who has property outside the city limits...
    It may be really important to learn how to live as a poor Mexican does. They have skills that most of us no longer have.

During the great depression, many people still had basic skills.

Name:  Grandma-300x215.png
Views: 1651
Size:  154.2 KB

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Alekahn2 (24th July 2016), Baby Steps (23rd July 2016), Bill Ryan (28th October 2022), EFO (24th July 2016), ghostrider (24th July 2016), gord (23rd July 2016), jjjones (24th July 2016), Matt P (24th July 2016), Michelle Marie (24th July 2016), Nasu (25th July 2016), Pam (28th October 2022), Peace in Oz (28th October 2022), Vward (17th December 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,097 times in 2,584 posts

I'm learning. It feels great!

Live in the woods with nature.

MM
    Last edited by Michelle Marie; 24th July 2016 at 02:21.
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th October 2022), EFO (24th July 2016), ghostrider (24th July 2016), Pam (28th October 2022), Vward (17th December 2016)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

All the laws of creation are found in nature, if you pay attention she will teach you many things, that across the universe iis the same and absolute...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th October 2022), EFO (24th July 2016), Michelle Marie (24th July 2016), Pam (28th October 2022), Vward (17th December 2016)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thank you for the info Ron... have bookmarked your site as a reference. I've been following Bob at Enigmatic Nomadics for a while (as well as his site). My job is ending, I've been downsizing, gathering info and preparing for a life on the road... although having lived in NYC for years, I still don't own a vehicle yet!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linderlou For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th October 2022), Pam (28th October 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote All forum members are free to add helpful information to this thread that may be relevant to their country of residence.
    In Romania is very easy to have your own vegetables garden,an orchard or having your own animal farm because nobody is asking for license.All these of course at country side,in cities is a little difficult due to lack of land.We fertilized the land with manure and compost.In the most Romanian villages water came from wells or springs in mountain or hilly areas.

Personally,beside common fruits (apricots,apples,pears,peaches,cherries,wallnuts,plums,grapes and so on) and vegetables (potatoes,tomatoes,cabbages,corn,garlic,onions and so on) two years ago we start to grow goji and we have 13 plants from which we already eaten some fruits and we expect to live more than 100 years.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Alekahn2 (25th July 2016), Bill Ryan (28th October 2022), fourty-two (27th July 2016), Peace in Oz (28th October 2022), Vward (17th December 2016)

19. Link to Post #10
    Croatia Avalon Member
    Thanks

That is very cool. We did the same in a land side of Croatia. Beside the "normal" stuff we plant chia, schisandra (wu wei), astragalus tragant and I am waiting for gotu kola seeds and I try do get in contact with one man in Romania who grows Catina on a big scale. Here is link but unfortunatly I do not undetstand romanian and I was not able to get in tuch with him. Maybe you can help me with this? http://cameraagricolavn.ro/catina-ec...roducatorilor/

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikola Tesla For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th October 2022)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Here is link but unfortunatly I do not undetstand romanian and I was not able to get in tuch with him. Maybe you can help me with this? http://cameraagricolavn.ro/catina-ec...roducatorilor/
    Following your link I found your person and also its company here.I hope will be helpful.
    Last edited by EFO; 25th July 2016 at 15:27. Reason: grammar mistake

22. The Following User Says Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th October 2022)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

The same we learned from Ladakh. For more see Helana Norberg-Hodges' Antient Futures: Learning From Ladakh.
    It is available in book format, but it used to be a documentary available in English for free.
    Now it is only available in YouTube in Portuguese.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAiDPDV2sk4&t=927s

Unfortunately, there is only a trailer in English language. What impressed me most, when I saw it over 6 yrs ago, was that a 12 yr old child in Ladakh knew how to make mud blocks and how to build a house, and how to grow the food to be self-sufficient. Beats how we live in the US of A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_UT1ROfNiw

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vrinda For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th December 2016), Krist (15th December 2016), Ron Mauer Sr (17th December 2016), Vward (17th December 2016)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,528 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Vrinda (here)
    The same we learned from Ladakh.
    Off-topic here: (I apologize!) I led a handful of spiritual treks to Ladakh back in 1988-9. Quite something else. I was also inspired by Helena Norberg-Hodge's book. A wonderful, wonderful place, well worth its own thread.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

nomadguy (17th December 2016), Ron Mauer Sr (17th December 2016)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

The same we learned from Ladakh. For more see Helana Norberg-Hodges' Antient Futures: Learning From Ladakh.
    It is available in book format, but it used to be a documentary available in English for free.
    Now it is only available in YouTube in Portuguese.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAiDPDV2sk4&t=927s

Unfortunately, there is only a trailer in English language. What impressed me most, when I saw it over 6 yrs ago, was that a 12 yr old child in Ladakh knew how to make mud blocks and how to build a house, and how to grow the food to be self-sufficient. Beats how we live in the US of A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_UT1ROfNiw

It's here:

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Krist (15th December 2016), Pam (28th October 2022), Ron Mauer Sr (17th December 2016), Vward (17th December 2016)

29. Link to Post #15
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

Last edited by bluestflame; 15th December 2016 at 22:31.

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th October 2022), Blacklight43 (15th December 2016), Bluegreen (29th December 2016), Krist (15th December 2016), Pam (28th October 2022), Ron Mauer Sr (17th December 2016), Vward (17th December 2016)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Thank you for sharing, Bill. Not off topic at all. What a wonderful experience! Did you get to see Helena's documentary?
    She has continued speaking on the topic. Last documentary of hers I saw was at Schumacker College, UK (cofounded by Kumar Satish, another fantastic contributor!). They are easily found in YouTube now. But how sadly different things are in Ladakh now.

Our group was so encouraged and hopeful when we saw this documentary, we had great hope for the rest of us. Do you know of efforts implementing similar communities in the US? I have heard of Michael Reynolds, Garbage Warrior, and his eco ships using old tires, and there is a group of feminists in the northwest building and teaching how to use bale straw for building, but little on self-sufficiency as experiment in the US.
    I tried to connect with Woofers in Puerto Rico. Most groups are led by young folks, doing great work... nothing off-grid yet.
    Intergenerationality is another challenge.

Have you followed the folks in Vichada, Colombia, Las Gaviotas, fully off-grid, award-winning. They have had solid funding from Gunter Pauli, great eco-philanthropist, founder of ZERI, and together with Janine Benyus co-creator of biomimetism.

Paulo Lugari, architect of Las Gaviotas
    http://www.friendsofgaviotas.org/events--updates.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xogJew_nlko

Gunter Pauli, ZERI
    http://www.zeri.org/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcstYY6DXfc
    This used to be a wonderful one hour lecture by Gunter.. much reduced now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Sn...C791DB2623532C

The women in the northwest I believe are:
    https://www.strawbale.com/womens-nat...ding-workshop/

Let me tell you, I am so technically challenged that I would hesitate to start a thread, but what a great idea. If you get it started, I'd be happy to contribute the links and folks I encountered along the way in systems studies and the transformative leadership program. Folks who are creating eco-sustainable alternative ways of living... and the theorists who inspired them, like Gregory Bateson. On the same course, I was immensely impressed by ecofeminist and MP Marilyn Waring on political design to depress whole segments of society. There is a wealth of data available for folks who love to read that I would be delighted to share. And hope other folks are inspired to join in and share what they are doing. Also, there is much that needs to be analyzed. For example, Gunter Pauli is doing wonderful things, but I need help finding out what is he doing in the Club of Rome? Likewise, Erwin Laszlo, what are these folks doing at the Club of Rome? This does not sound too good to me, but I have not gone deep enough in that area and adopt a hermeneutic of suspicion, while recognize their good works.

Please let me know if you or collaborators can help start a thread on these topics around sustainability--off grid living, I'd be delighted to participate.

Best always,
    Vrinda
    Last edited by Vrinda; 15th December 2016 at 23:54.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vrinda For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th December 2016), Cara (17th December 2016), Hym (16th December 2016), Pam (28th October 2022), Ron Mauer Sr (17th December 2016), Vward (17th December 2016)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

THANK YOU, Bill !!!!!!
    Itīs been a few years I wanted to see it again, it takes us back to being there!!!
    Such a wealth of experiences! The challenge is to adapt it to wherever we are!
    These are the thoughts and the ideas it so abundantly brings to the viewer!
    I can see it again and again, until I feel empowered to do it!
    But, nothing is accomplished alone.
    Let's get inspired!

Great Love to all!

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vrinda For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th December 2016), Pam (28th October 2022), Ron Mauer Sr (17th December 2016), Vward (17th December 2016)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

THANK YOU, Bill !!!!!!
    Itīs been a few years I wanted to see it again, it takes us back to being there!!!
    Such a wealth of experiences! The challenge is to adapt it to wherever we are!
    These are the thoughts and the ideas it so abundantly brings to the viewer!
    I can see it again and again, until I feel empowered to do it!
    But, nothing is accomplished alone.
    Let's get inspired!

Great Love to all!

New thread started here, to continue this discussion about Ladakh:

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Pam (28th October 2022), Ron Mauer Sr (17th December 2016)

37. Link to Post #19
    Canada Avalon Member Richard S.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 times in 309 posts

Quote Posted by EFO (here)
    Hi Ron,

Many thanks.
    Adrian
    Hi,

Input, input, input, yes...

I have a lil bit, if I may.

Flushing needs to stay our commodity, I would go for a RAM Pump. Mind you location is key, but if you can haul it, methinks you can RAM pump it :-)

A note on trailers around here, most cities don't allow them for more than a month during a year.

Thanks for the thread!
    Rick...

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richard S. For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th October 2022), Cara (17th December 2016), EFO (17th December 2016), Ron Mauer Sr (17th December 2016)

39. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Ram pump applications and home made instructions can be found here.
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 19th December 2016 at 16:51.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th October 2022), EFO (17th December 2016), Pam (28th October 2022), Richard S. (17th December 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast