+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Migraine - preventive medication?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Migraine - preventive medication?

I’d like to ask if anyone has experience about preventive medications for migraine. I have frequent migraines and my doctor recommends me preventive medication. However, I'm a bit scared of the side-effects associated with them. Neither I'm so keen on taking drugs daily basis. But it is getting to the point where something needs to be done.

I have already tried couple of natural options, like Q10 and vitamin B2. Unfortunately I couldn't sustain taking them due to some side effects.

There are some options for preventive medication. One is blood pressure drugs like beta blockers, sartans and calcium channel blockers. The second group is epilepsy and anti-depressant drugs. I’m not willing to use anti-depressants for a headache, so I guess I'm left with the blood pressure meds. However, they are associated with numerous side-effects, including tinnitus and ototoxicity. Tinnitus is already a serious problem for me, so I don't want to risk making it worse. Secondly, my blood pressure needs no fixing.
    I would like to hear your experiences about these drugs and if you have experienced unwanted side-effects.

Thank you

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demeisen For This Post:

kirolak (25th July 2016), latina (24th July 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Spain Avalon Member Michael Moewes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 times in 372 posts

Default Re: Migraine - preventive medication?

Dear, I'm sorry to hear that.
    Please try some simple thing - Lavender oil.
    Put a few drops on the top of your upper lip, just where the nostrils are and start breathing calmly and deeply.
    try to slow down the breathing and make every breath count.
    If possible get some organic and pure oil. the cheap ones are full of chemicals which will have bad side effects.
    I hope I could help you here.
    Quote Posted by Demeisen (here)
    I’d like to ask if anyone has experience about preventive medications for migraine. I have frequent migraines and my doctor recommends me preventive medication. However, I'm a bit scared of the side-effects associated with them. Neither I'm so keen on taking drugs daily basis. But it is getting to the point where something needs to be done.

I have already tried couple of natural options, like Q10 and vitamin B2. Unfortunately I couldn't sustain taking them due to some side effects.

There are some options for preventive medication. One is blood pressure drugs like beta blockers, sartans and calcium channel blockers. The second group is epilepsy and anti-depressant drugs. I’m not willing to use anti-depressants for a headache, so I guess I'm left with the blood pressure meds. However, they are associated with numerous side-effects, including tinnitus and ototoxicity. Tinnitus is already a serious problem for me, so I don't want to risk making it worse. Secondly, my blood pressure needs no fixing.
    I would like to hear your experiences about these drugs and if you have experienced unwanted side-effects.

Thank you

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moewes For This Post:

Demeisen (24th July 2016), Olaf (25th July 2016), poetbil (24th July 2016), toppy (24th July 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member OBwan's Avatar
    Thanks

I found the following video to be interesting.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OBwan For This Post:

Demeisen (24th July 2016), Sueanne47 (24th July 2016), toppy (24th July 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    England Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,327 times in 899 posts

WOWW GREAT VIDEO! I'm going to stop eating cereal flakes and seafood,I didnt realise the bottom feeding shrimps & crabs were a cause of mercury poisoning. I hope this helps your headache Demeisen

Sue

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sueanne47 For This Post:

Demeisen (24th July 2016), toppy (24th July 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hi, I just wanted to share the story of a good friend of mine several years ago. She used to have crazy migraines so strong that she had to stay home and cover her bedroom windows with a black fabric so the light couldn't get through; those migraines usually lasted for a week and that was creating problems with her boss.
    One day I was at her house and we were talking about her condition and I said to her: Friend, you are too tense, the muscles and tendons of your neck are too tight and don't allow oxygen to go to your brain trough your arteries, let me check your back and neck. And I went OMG! Her back was like a table, her neck was like wood!

I started giving her a massage with my hands, it was painful, the whole area was red while all that energy was released. It lasted for an hour at least we did while she was seated in a chair at her kitchen and we were talking, very casual. Her husband came from work and I taught him how to do it, she was very tired at the end. Making this story short she learned that we need to loosen up our muscle of tension and stress, we can do it ourselves while driving or anywhere just get your hands on your neck and squeeze like is dough. Long story short she has never have had another migraine since then and this was like eight years ago!
    We are all too tense we need to relax and breathe better to dissolve that tension, Youtube has plenty of information about breathing techniques, relaxation, meditation and all of that. Good luck! And I want to add that every person I know that has migraines I give this same advice and all of them get better!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to latina For This Post:

Demeisen (24th July 2016), Olaf (25th July 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Darla Ken Pearce's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,609 times in 1,338 posts

My youngest daughter has had terrible migraines for years. She's 34 years old and used to do the "dark room technique" for pain relief. It was very difficult to find a solution although she tried many things. Recently, out of desperation, we came across CBD.

It stands for Cannabidiol ~ CBD is a well known molecule that is found in Cannabis plants.

CBD does NOT make someone "high" like THC.

It has no THC just the "healing" portion of cannabis oil extracted from hemp.

It has been know to help people with many different conditions from PTSD, Parkinson's, MS, cancer pain, stress, sleep aid, anti-inflammatory, anti-psychotic, nausea, severe back pain, and the list goes on... Migraines being just one of the conditions it helps.

Anyway, we live in Idaho and did not think anything of value as far as Cannabis oil was legal here but CBD is legal not only Idaho but most States. We are just an hour away from the Washington border where everything (Cannabis) is legal but did not expect something so useful would be legal in Idaho.

So she bought a vial of CBD for $30 and a $20 vapor start-up kit (pen) and it works WONDERS. A few puffs and her migraines that caused so much pain over the years completely vanished. It is odorless and has four wonderful flavors. She got the Rootbeer Float variety. It's a joy to smell.

A few puffs removes pain for about four hours.

As an elderly person with many assorted aches and pains from arthritis, I've found that a few puffs takes away my pain and cures most of my garden variety headaches as well.

I highly recommend it and of course, my daughter is thrilled to have an end to her migraine headaches! We were also happy to find a GlobalCDB.com distributor in Sandpoint where we live. It's manufactured in Colorado and they offer extensive information on their site.

Blessings to all who are in pain. May you each find relief.
    Ep 6:12: For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Even so, let your light shine and keep it real...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Darla Ken Pearce For This Post:

Blacklight43 (24th July 2016), Demeisen (24th July 2016), drneglector (25th July 2016), Michael Moewes (24th July 2016)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,092 times in 20,639 posts

I worked with live foods guru and author Viktoras Kulvinskas for about 5 years.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktoras_Kulvinskas
    He wrote, among other books, Survival into the 21st Century, still in bookstores after 27 years.
    https://www.amazon.com/Survival-into...ry/dp/09332780
    So he knew a lot about holistic healing, but he suffered from migraines and tried all kinds of things.
    He said that the only thing that not only helped but actually prevented migraines for him is blue green algae.
    He became a distributor of Klamath Lake blue green algae, until it was found that the lake was having problems with contamination.
    He's probably still a distributor of some kind of algae now (he lives in Costa Rica now and is still going pretty strong in his late 70s).
    But I am taking an excellent brand of Spirulina now, which is a kind of blue green algae, called Biolumina, from New Phoenix Rising, a company that is taking up where Dr. Christopher Hills, a pioneer in algae research who Viktoras greatly admired, left off.
    I take a tablespoon per day and a pound jar will last me for about 2 months.
    The retail cost is about $60, but it's such a miracle food, I think it's worth it.
    It will do a whole lot more for anyone taking it than helping with migraines.
    If you are interested, please PM me and I will give you more details.
    Each breath a gift...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Demeisen (24th July 2016), Michael Moewes (24th July 2016)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Look into "Butterbur" (Petasites) extracts.

Check the info here: http://www.lifeextension.com/magazin...terbur/Page-01

Quote The earliest evidence of butterbur’s migraine-preventive power came from a small study conducted in Germany comprising 60 patients, in which a group of 33 adults took 50 mg of standardized butterbur extract twice daily and the remaining group took placebo.

At the study’s onset, the participants suffered an average of 3.3 migraines each month. After four weeks of treatment, those who supplemented with butterbur averaged just 1.8 migraines per month. After eight weeks, they suffered only 1.3 migraines per month—a 61% decrease. At 12 weeks, the butterbur recipients reported an average of 1.7 migraine attacks per month—a 49% decrease. The total number of headache days per month fell from 3.4 to 1.7 days by the study’s end.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Darla Ken Pearce (here)
    My youngest daughter has had terrible migraines for years. She's 34 years old and used to do the "dark room technique" for pain relief. It was very difficult to find a solution although she tried many things. Recently, out of desperation, we came across CBD.

It stands for Cannabidiol ~ CBD is a well known molecule that is found in Cannabis plants.

CBD does NOT make someone "high" like THC.

It has no THC just the "healing" portion of cannabis oil extracted from hemp.

It has been know to help people with many different conditions from PTSD, Parkinson's, MS, cancer pain, stress, sleep aid, anti-inflammatory, anti-psychotic, nausea, severe back pain, and the list goes on... Migraines being just one of the conditions it helps.

Anyway, we live in Idaho and did not think anything of value as far as Cannabis oil was legal here but CBD is legal not only Idaho but most States. We are just an hour away from the Washington border where everything (Cannabis) is legal but did not expect something so useful would be legal in Idaho.

So she bought a vial of CBD for $30 and a $20 vapor start-up kit (pen) and it works WONDERS. A few puffs and her migraines that caused so much pain over the years completely vanished. It is odorless and has four wonderful flavors. She got the Rootbeer Float variety. It's a joy to smell.

A few puffs removes pain for about four hours.

As an elderly person with many assorted aches and pains from arthritis, I've found that a few puffs takes away my pain and cures most of my garden variety headaches as well.

I highly recommend it and of course, my daughter is thrilled to have an end to her migraine headaches! We were also happy to find a GlobalCDB.com distributor in Sandpoint where we live. It's manufactured in Colorado and they offer extensive information on their site.

Blessings to all who are in pain. May you each find relief.
    This is interesting, but sadly illegal in my country. Thanks for the info though and I hope it helps someone who lives in a less controlled place.

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by latina (here)
    Hi, I just wanted to share the story of a good friend of mine several years ago. She used to have crazy migraines so strong that she had to stay home and cover her bedroom windows with a black fabric so the light couldn't get through; those migraines usually lasted for a week and that was creating problems with her boss.
    One day I was at her house and we were talking about her condition and I said to her: Friend, you are too tense, the muscles and tendons of your neck are too tight and don't allow oxygen to go to your brain trough your arteries, let me check your back and neck. And I went OMG! Her back was like a table, her neck was like wood!

I started giving her a massage with my hands, it was painful, the whole area was red while all that energy was released. It lasted for an hour at least we did while she was seated in a chair at her kitchen and we were talking, very casual. Her husband came from work and I taught him how to do it, she was very tired at the end. Making this story short she learned that we need to loosen up our muscle of tension and stress, we can do it ourselves while driving or anywhere just get your hands on your neck and squeeze like is dough. Long story short she has never have had another migraine since then and this was like eight years ago!
    We are all too tense we need to relax and breathe better to dissolve that tension, Youtube has plenty of information about breathing techniques, relaxation, meditation and all of that. Good luck! And I want to add that every person I know that has migraines I give this same advice and all of them get better!
    This is something I have been wondering myself if there may be a link with the muscle tension. Sometimes there is clear tightness in my shoulders but not always. I have been considering trying a massage and probably will at some point.

18. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Michael Moewes (here)
    Put a few drops on the top of your upper lip, just where the nostrils are and start breathing calmly and deeply.
    If possible get some organic and pure oil. the cheap ones are full of chemicals which will have bad side effects.
    Thank you Michael. I have not tried lavender oil before, but I will.

19. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)

Look into "Butterbur" (Petasites) extracts.

Check the info here: http://www.lifeextension.com/magazin...terbur/Page-01

Quote The earliest evidence of butterbur’s migraine-preventive power came from a small study conducted in Germany comprising 60 patients, in which a group of 33 adults took 50 mg of standardized butterbur extract twice daily and the remaining group took placebo.

At the study’s onset, the participants suffered an average of 3.3 migraines each month. After four weeks of treatment, those who supplemented with butterbur averaged just 1.8 migraines per month. After eight weeks, they suffered only 1.3 migraines per month—a 61% decrease. At 12 weeks, the butterbur recipients reported an average of 1.7 migraine attacks per month—a 49% decrease. The total number of headache days per month fell from 3.4 to 1.7 days by the study’s end.
    I'll do some researching. It appears not being sold in my country though, and I suspect it's forbidden. Thanks for the info though.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by OBwan (here)
    I found the following video to be interesting.

Thanks OBwan. Thats a lot's of info!

20. Link to Post #13
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,027 times in 268 posts

Some people (only some) could be helped or even healed with the appropriate homeopathic remedy.
    In most of my cases it worked only on younger girls.

There is no standard remedy. You have to observe symptoms and co-factors that may point to the right homeopathic remedy.
    The check list method of Heiner Frei works best. He has collected symptoms that lead to successful descriptions in a questionnaire. The result must be evaluated with the method Polarity analysis, that also was developed by him.

But as I said - it only works in some cases or even only in some migraine episodes.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Olaf For This Post:

Demeisen (26th July 2016)

22. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

I'll do some researching. It appears not being sold in my country though, and I suspect it's forbidden. Thanks for the info though.[COLOR="red"]
    You can also check the name "Petadolex" - same thing, available on iHerb. I had a fiend who took this for his migraines - it seemed to help him have less frequency and severity.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 25th July 2016 at 15:58.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

24. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    I worked with live foods guru and author Viktoras Kulvinskas for about 5 years.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktoras_Kulvinskas
    He wrote, among other books, Survival into the 21st Century, still in bookstores after 27 years.
    https://www.amazon.com/Survival-into...ry/dp/09332780
    So he knew a lot about holistic healing, but he suffered from migraines and tried all kinds of things.
    He said that the only thing that not only helped but actually prevented migraines for him is blue green algae.
    He became a distributor of Klamath Lake blue green algae, until it was found that the lake was having problems with contamination.
    He's probably still a distributor of some kind of algae now (he lives in Costa Rica now and is still going pretty strong in his late 70s).
    But I am taking an excellent brand of Spirulina now, which is a kind of blue green algae, called Biolumina, from New Phoenix Rising, a company that is taking up where Dr. Christopher Hills, a pioneer in algae research who Viktoras greatly admired, left off.
    I take a tablespoon per day and a pound jar will last me for about 2 months.
    The retail cost is about $60, but it's such a miracle food, I think it's worth it.
    It will do a whole lot more for anyone taking it than helping with migraines.
    If you are interested, please PM me and I will give you more details.
    Thank you Onawah for this information. I will take it into consideration.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Demeisen For This Post:

onawah (25th July 2016)

26. Link to Post #16
    Spain Avalon Member Michael Moewes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 times in 372 posts

You can see the article here : http://michael-moewes.com/2016/07/10...nstant-relief/
    To enter this site you need to be a "Truthseeker"
    I had to hide my site for personal security reasons.
    Quote Posted by Michael Moewes (here)
    Thank you Michael. I have not tried lavender oil before, but I will.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Moewes For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread