1. Link to Post #1
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Default Star Trek: Discovery will be the next Trek TV series

Star Trek: Discovery will be the next Trek TV series

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/star-...tv-series-name

Published on Jul 24, 2016

A look at U.S.S. Discovery, the newest ship in the Star Trek universe, on its test flight. Star Trek: Discovery premieres on Netflix in January 2017.

Star Trek's impending return to television has been given a new name, along with revealing the first glimpse of the main starship
    By Matt Kamen

1 hour ago

The full series name for the upcoming Star Trek TV series has been revealed, along with the first look at the new starship that will grace the show.

The series, which was first announced in November 2015, will be known as Star Trek: Discovery when it debuts in January 2017. Each episode will debut on Netflix in the UK within 24 hours of its US broadcast, it has been confirmed.

The reveal was made at a Star Trek 50th anniversary panel at San Diego Comic-Con, where showrunner Bryan Fuller also revealed the show would be arc-based rather than episodic. This shift in narrative structure is largely because the series will be shown via streaming platforms - CBS All Access in the US and Canada, and Netflix internationally. This lets the creators structure stories "like a novel", as they won't need to worry about viewers missing episodes.

The series will be set in the prior television series continuity, rather than the divergent timeline created in the JJ Abrams' directed 2009 cinematic reboot. It has also been confirmed to run for a 13-episode first season.

Fuller was joined on the panel by Trek alumni William Shatner, Michael Dorn, Brent Spiner, Jeri Ryan, and Scott Bakula, where they discussed the original series' enduring legacy and the importance of its promise of an optimistic future for humanity, particularly in light of current world events.

"We're in a time now where identity is under attack," Deadline quotes Spiner. "It's disturbing [...] Politicians could learn from Star Trek."

"Individuality should be celebrated. Star Trek celebrates diversity," added Fuller. "It seems like a great statement from Gene Roddenberry, who felt the human race just has to get along."

"The new series has to remind audiences the message of Star Trek — continuing to push boundaries," Fuller continued. "We do have to celebrate a progression of our species because right now we need a little help."
    Credit CBS Television / Netflix

For hardcore Trekkers, the new 'Test Flight' teaser above will also be notable for revealing the full designation of the new ship. Meet the USS Discovery NCC-1031 - a starcraft quite unlike any headline Star Trek ship we've seen before.

The vessel, which bears similarities to Star Wars designer Ralph McQuarrie's early concept art for a reimagined USS Enterprise - once planned for a Star Trek: Planet of the Titans movie that was cancelled in favour of the original Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Gone are the traditional slender body and distinct warp drive nacelles; in comes a flat, triangular lower body that, probably not coincidentally, looks an awful lot like the Star Trek insignia.

Don't fret if you're not immediately in love with the design though - TrekMovie.com quotes series producer Heather Kadin as saying it's not necessarily final.

"The concepts of the ship are totally what we're going for and they'll be honed up until, I think, the day we deliver," Kadin says.

The pilot of Star Trek: Discovery will be directed by David Semel, and premiere globally in January. Cast and characters have yet to be revealed.

On a side note, the latest STAR TREK movie, Star Trek Beyond, has opened this weekend around the world to overall positive reviews and grossed almost $60 million for the weekend. Have seen it myself (I'm a Trekker and am probably biased ). Thoroughly enjoyed it and seems more "Star Trekkie" than the previous two, with touching tributes to the late actors Leonard Nimoy and Anton Yelchin (and in fact the whole original cast of STAR TREK). Mr Sulu is revealed as being gay (another STAR TREK first and positive nod to the original actor, George Takei). Lots of humour, action and amazing special fx. Even if you're not a fan, you'll probably enjoy it. Yup, I think the best of the three so far, but like I said, I'm probably biased - KE

PS- Wasn't quite sure where to put this so Mods feel free to place elsewhere

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2660888/...ref_=hm_cht_t0
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 25th July 2016 at 14:20.

2. Link to Post #2
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Star Trek: Discovery will be the next Trek TV series

I think without Rodenberry to write or direct anymore it will just be like Enterprise where Scott Bakula is always trying to get his end away with his second in command. Ugh. TNG still remains the most influential Star Trek in my opinion.

A lot of TNG contained messages on human history for example the episode with the 2 gods Musaka and Corgano turned out to be the freemasons teachings about religion referring to the light and darkness with Musaka as the Sun and Corgano as the darkness.

Also the early episodes where the crew rescue 3 people from the 21st century by unfreezing them showed that one of them was a businessman not interest in the progress of humanity to the point where money no longer plays a part and neither does the accumulation of wealth. He is more interested in how much his stock is worth after laying off his entire workforce prior to freezing whereas the other one of the three is more saddened by the fact all her loved ones are no longer alive. Then we have the final person who was regarded as a celebrity who loves the new humanity era and wants to contribute. Typical of todays generation aside from the celebrity angle of course!

If you are an avid Star Trek fan you would've already figured out that the Ferenghi's are a de-evolved version of human with a lust for backstabbing and gold pressed latinum. Very much like the century we live in right now.

On another note if you are looking for hidden messages in media then you should watch Season 3 of Lexx with the two planets Fire and Water. Excellent season. Honestly though if you have never seen Lexx you should start at the beginning because there are loads of messages. A quick example is a planet where there are only men and they are strict religious people until the crew of the Lexx lands on their planet and one of the crew is an attractive woman. Overnight the whole male society is destroyed with emotions and the entire religion collapses.

If you need or want to contribute more examples then please reply or leave a comment

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to downliner For This Post:

Daniel Duxfield (26th July 2016), Ellisa (27th July 2016), GaelVictor (26th July 2016), Jackson (26th July 2016), KiwiElf (26th July 2016), Matthew (26th July 2016)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,261 times in 1,414 posts

Where i have been disappointed with Star Trek is that it portrays Earth humans as running the federation in a galaxy filled mostly with life forms less developed than them. I never understood how the Vulcans could end up as side-kicks to Earth humans in the federation. Only the occassional hint was made of higher intelligence out there, like when, in the original series, a war between the klingons and federation was halted by a race of super-psychic beings. Also, an episode in the original series showed a young human who had been raised by advanced psychic beings couldnt adapt to life with humans because of immaturity and too much psychic power.

However, these advanced beings were always portrayed as being isolated and small in number.

If hollywood, and the public in general, could ever go through the head stretching exercise to realize that we are the new, juvenile kids on the galactic block, and that there are oodles of species out there who have been space faring for likely millions of years, with accompanying advancements in consciousness so far beyond our own. We would never be the head honcho in a galactic organization in millions of years, unless its just of our own colonies.

For instance, recognizing that Earth has been visited by aliens for millions of years would be a start. Not to mention inter-dimensional visitors.

From the ufo literature, i gather that the variety of extraterrestrials is wide. Some species work as a collective with individuals having no ability to make decisions on there own (some types of greys). Others, like the Pliaedians are humanoid, each is uniquely individual, and they have mastered psychic powers beyond our imagination. Then there are reptilians, mantids, catpeople, dogpeople, avions, etc. Apparently there's also a major contingent of artificial intelligence beings out there.

Also, some of these alien life forms are hostile to us. The soviet smrsh book of alien races identified a number of the known alien species visiting Earth are hostile. One can only speculate why the hostile ones havent overrun us, or perhaps they have.

So, i know Star Trek was cutting edge in the sixties, but it would be good if they caughtup with the current info out there. Might humble us a bit, too.
    Last edited by Justplain; 25th July 2016 at 23:07.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Daniel Duxfield (26th July 2016), GaelVictor (26th July 2016), KiwiElf (26th July 2016)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

I hope this isn't the final product. It looks very amateurish.
    Looks like some bad game intro from the 2000.
    Even SG-1 had better SFX.
    Last edited by xion; 26th July 2016 at 00:13.
    Rise Above Ignorance!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xion For This Post:

KiwiElf (26th July 2016)

8. Link to Post #5
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

WARNING - Nerdy stuff: Yeah, not quite wrapped on the Discovery's design at this point. I'd prefer to see slimmer and curved nacelle supports slightly raised up, but as they said, the design will be tweaked.

Rumour has it that the new stories will be set some time after Kirk's last full crew mission (ie ST# 6 - The Undiscovered Country) but before The Next Generation time period.

9. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by xion (here)

I think the whole thing might be animated ... like the Star Wars "Rebels" series. Style looks very similar ...

When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

BMJ (14th August 2016), KiwiElf (26th July 2016)

11. Link to Post #7
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)

I think the whole thing might be animated ... like the Star Wars "Rebels" series. Style looks very similar ...
    As far as I know, it will use real actors - the SFX will be cgi

12. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by KiwiElf (here)

As far as I know, it will use real actors - the SFX will be cgi
    If so, that won't mesh well with that CGI (as shown) ... however that clip could be just a design concept - not nearly a full effort is put into those due to cost / timing constraints.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

KiwiElf (26th July 2016)

14. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,349 times in 1,707 posts

The Discovery looks like a space Edsel or a Klingon cruiser in drag, to chunky and Utilitarian.
    Back to the drawing board boys stick to what works or contract Adrian Newey to sort out the design he should be able merge aesthetics and function successfully within the parameters of what a star fleet vessel should be like.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Newey
    Last edited by BMJ; 26th July 2016 at 16:11.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

Justplain (26th July 2016), KiwiElf (26th July 2016)

16. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by BMJ (here)
    The Discovery looks like a space Edsel or a Klingon cruiser in drag, to chunky and Utilitarian.
    Back to the drawing board boys stick to what works or contract Adrian Newey to sort out the design he should be able merge aesthetics and function successfully within the parameters of what a star fleet vessel should be like.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Newey
    Call me crazy, I like the look. I assume this is a hardy deep space / scout type vessel hearkening back to old school types of design ... perhaps shortly after "Enterprise" time period?

Here's a good article on the topic ... http://io9.gizmodo.com/everything-th...tar-1784257704

Quote CBS merely announced the name of the upcoming Star Trek TV series, and gave us the briefest glimpse of its titular ship, the Discovery. What could it possibly reveal about the show? Well, if you’re a Star Trek nerd like we are, it can tell you a lot—including when in the timeline the series might take place.

The Discovery is pretty obviously based on Ralph McQuarrie’s design of the Enterprise for the never-made Star Trek: Planet of the Titans. Here’s the Discovery:

And here’s McQuarrie’s design:

Star Trek: Discovery executive producer Bryan Fuller was asked how much the Discovery was influenced by this design, and his answer was that it was “to a point that we can’t legally comment on it until we figure out some things.” So maybe the design of the ship will change between now and when the show actually comes out—in fact, executive producer Heather Kadin has said that this design isn’t final.

But, assuming the ship stays the fundamentally the same, there are some interesting details to note. First is that there were actual models produced based on McQuarrie’s designs. And, even though Planet of the Titans was never made, the models have shown up in Star Trek.

According to Memory Alpha, the Star Trek canon wiki, one of the models turns up in Star Trek III: The Search For Spock, docked near the Enterprise. Another one made an appearance in the Next Generation episode “Unification I.” Both of them are supposedly also in the rubble of the Borg attack at Wolf 359 in “Best of Both Worlds, Part II.

..."
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 27th July 2016 at 05:14.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

BMJ (27th July 2016), KiwiElf (27th July 2016)

18. Link to Post #11
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,462 times in 950 posts

why these space ship on TV rectangular type of shape that especially fly only forward? My spaceship could be like roundshap(UFO) able to go UP-Down-Left-Right-Forward-Backward.

I'm watching TNG right now and have to say increadible..some of the episode are amazing...Just watched this Episode, Star Trek-TNG S04E15

Captain Picard and his crew are about to engage in one of their more dangerous exercises when they are to make first contact with the Malcorians. They are on the cusp of developing warp power and the Federation has learned that it is better to make first contact before they set off into space. The Federation has had an advance team on the planet for some time posing as Malcorians. Commander Riker is one of them, on the planet to make final arrangements. Unbeknown to Picard, Riker is in hospital having been severely injured in a riot. Picard and Counselor Troi make contact with scientist Mirasta Yale, responsible for the warp program who is enthusiastic at what they propose. Not all Malcorians however welcome contact and the planet's leader, Chancellor Durken, must decide to what extent his people are prepared to learn definitively that they are not alone in the universe.
    Stream: http://vodlocker.com/rapwdhnud1j3
    Last edited by apokalypse; 27th July 2016 at 14:17.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apokalypse For This Post:

20. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by apokalypse (here)
    why these space ship on TV rectangular type of shape that especially fly only forward? My spaceship could be like roundshap(UFO) able to go UP-Down-Left-Right-Forward-Backward.

The way a warp drive works partly dictates the ships shapes in the Star Trek world. The warp drive can only propel the ship in one direction, and it needs offset nacelles away from the main body of the craft to prevent the warp drive from tearing it apart when warp is engaged (it bends space -- no part of the ship can be within that space between the nacelles). the engineering part houses the main reactor, and in the case of this design just happens to be large and triangular as opposed to cylindrical or another shape. The saucer section is living and entertainment quarters and houses the main bridge as well. Many of these style ships can separate their saucer section and this process leaves basically a battleship, while non-critical staff and citizens can escape safely in the saucer (hopefully).

The main reason for a triangular type of design on the engineering section in my mind would be cost to engineer and build. If it is more a military style ship -- it wouldn't be flashy with sexy curves everywhere unless that was somehow functional. If you need to make 20 of these ships, you find ways to reduce costs. The triangular version seems much more military style to me.

Sure the later Enterprise broke those guidelines but it IS the flagship and there is only one in commission at a time I believe - they can spare a few bucks for luxury for that one.

Also notice that the shape has uncannily similar angles to the star trek logo itself - I'm sure this was no accident
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 27th July 2016 at 15:55.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

22. Link to Post #13
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

LOL - when Matt Jefferies designed the original ENTERPRISE model for the first pilot, the design was intended to be upside down relative to what we see now, ie the saucer was at the lowest level with the engineering section above it & the nacelles below And umm yes, they can go in reverse. There are several episodes of the original series and STTNG where they order "full reverse").

That essentially became the "look" with variations spun off that, evolving more into the elongated saucer section of Voyager and the Enterprise E, the "last" (or latest) design of the series we see in First Contact through to Nemesis. So the new Discovery sort of "fits" the original design theme. (Gawd, this is getting geeky! - I seriously don't think any of them would actually work!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_En...%28NCC-1701%29

Here's a great website dedicated to the subject and you can look at almost every spaceship designed in the STAR TREK universe

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 27th July 2016 at 16:52.

23. Link to Post #14
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

The USS ENTERPRISE Design Evolves

Click image for larger version

Name:	3-enterprises.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	33872

Where it all began - from the original (at the top, designed by Matt Jeffries for the original TV Series), to the refitted model in the original STAR TREK Movies 1-4 (middle image - which includes the ENTERPRISE NCC-1701A, a brand new refinement of the refit, movies 4-6).

The lower model is the current "newbie" as depicted in the J. J. Abrams movies "alternate Kelvin Timeline" - substantially larger than the original (SPOILER ALERT: This one gets completely destroyed in STAR TREK BEYOND).

(NOTE: These 3 pics are only the Enterprise's commanded by Captain James T. Kirk (in both timelines), and don't include the Enterprise B-E variations )
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 10th August 2016 at 03:07.

24. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks

.... And umm yes, they can go in reverse. There are several episodes of the original series and STTNG where they order "full reverse").
    That's with the separate weak impulse engines only -- the warp drive can only go one direction, and I wrote it properly

Quote Posted by KiwiElf;
    (Gawd, this is getting geeky! - I seriously don't think any of them would actually work!)
    You'd be surprised at the sheer amount logic and engineering thought that went into these original ship designs.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 27th July 2016 at 20:26. Reason: fixed formatting

25. Link to Post #16
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

.... And umm yes, they can go in reverse. There are several episodes of the original series and STTNG where they order "full reverse").
    That's with the separate weak impulse engines only -- the warp drive can only go one direction, and I wrote it properly

Quote Posted by KiwiElf;
    (Gawd, this is getting geeky! - I seriously don't think any of them would actually work!)
    You'd be surprised at the sheer amount logic and engineering thought that went into these original ship designs.
    LOL Uhhuh, I gotcha ... (as we're only talking sci-fi here)... there would seem to be some debate on the reversing issue (links below) to clarify, they are capable of moving in a backward/reverse direction (actually, x, y & z) at limited speed using thrusters or impulse power (I didn't say "at Reverse Warp speed" hehehe), the extracted quote below explains it better ...and ahhh no, I'm not surprised at all; as a life-long Trekker I'm well aware Roddenberry went to great pains to ensure the science in STAR TREK was as accurate as possible ... in all areas

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/quest...-go-in-reverse

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/co...verse_impulse/

Quote from the above link
    In the Real World

Using my experience in the US Navy, since Roddenberry was fond of naval ships, perhaps his goal was to consider Federation ships in a similar fashion. Most Navy ships are capable of reverse thrust, used to get into and out of port but this is a very limited capacity. These speeds tended to top out at 1/8 to 1/4 of the ship's maximum forward thrust.

These commands would sound like: "All back full." "All back 1/2" "Back 1/4" indicating how much thrust would be expected to be expended on reversing power. In most cases, this would amount to about 2 - 8 knots top speed (a man could run faster).

Given that most of the design specifications barely seem to consider adding thruster mechanisms of any kind, it would appear obvious thrusters were not considered by the show's designers, who wanted to create visibly elegant ships that were as far away from our bulky rocket-engine-driven designs of ships as possible.
    ...and for example, check out the original series, where they had to reverse away from the spinning cube in the Corbomite Manuever, and when the Enterprise reversed out of Space Dock in The Search for Spock
    ... and more (apologies, the narrator of this video is possibly drunk or stoned,.. or just "strange" )

Okay, enough geekdom, before I suffer the Wrath of Khan ooops, I meant ...the Wrath of ... other Trekkers
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 28th July 2016 at 03:35.

26. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by KiwiElf;
    LOL Uhhuh, I gotcha ... (as we're only talking sci-fi here)... there would seem to be some debate on the reversing issue (links below) to clarify, they are capable of moving in a backward/reverse direction (actually, x, y & z) at limited speed using thrusters or impulse power (I didn't say "at Reverse Warp speed" hehehe)
    lol ... No you didn't, but I stated initially that it was the warp drive specifically that couldn't do reverse

27. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

KiwiElf (28th July 2016)

28. Link to Post #18
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Yeah, I missed it (your exact wording) first time... I do get ya! I was answering apokalypse's ideas of "multi-directional movement"

Roddenberry's initial brief for the ENTERPRISE "look" was simply that he didn't want it to look like a conventional rocketship: it had to be different, huge, but believable. Some of the initial design sketches had a sphere instead of a saucer-section (which did eventually get used as a hospital ship in ST TNG)
    They all look pretty cool! (But then I think Fireball XL5 & Thunderbird 3 look cool too! LOL )

(Since we're diverging wayyy off topic here, I kinda liked the saucer-shaped C-57D spaceship in the old classic film, Forbidden Planet which was very STAR TREK-IE in format (same art designer for the Jupiter 2 from Lost In Space). As flying saucers go, they looked like they "could work"... and a bit easier to park... )

(some nice SketchUp walkthru's)

As for ST Discovery, I think they'll probably tweak it a bit more

Seriously, perhaps the ideal shape for a massive starship is the infamous "cigar"-shaped UFOs (Zeppelins with Warp Drive anyone? ) (Probably not interesting enough for audiences... hehe)
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 28th July 2016 at 07:01.

29. Link to Post #19
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Since I've gone completely off the rails, the seventh best voted STAR TREK movie, (which wasn't actually STAR TREK), almost made a return as well...

http://www.geek.com/news/we-almost-g...g-but-1651671/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Quest

Quote The prefix of the Protector’s registration number NTE-3120 ostensibly alludes to some sort of similar space federation, but in reality stands for "Not The Enterprise", according to visual effects co-supervisor Bill George in a 2000 interview with Cinefex magazine.
    The Protector was a pretty cool (external) design too
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 28th July 2016 at 08:28.

30. Link to Post #20
    Language
    English
    Thanks

It definitely has a more modern design - and the impulse engines make more sense! one can easily see how the could move the ship backwards and turn with them, unlike most other starfleet ships, and the warp nacelles still follow the proper rule of not having any ship mass directly between them. Definitely a more futuristic version of a starfleet ship.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

KiwiElf (28th July 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 7 LastLast