+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 3 7 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Discovery will be the next Trek TV series

1. Link to Post #41
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Default Re: Star Trek: Discovery will be the next Trek TV series

'Star Trek: Discovery' Just Lost a Ton of Viewers With Their Recent Instagram Post
    Erika Haas

https://townhall.com/notebook/erikah...-knee-n2387505
    |
    Posted: Sep 28, 2017 9:15 AM

As expected, celebrities are quickly jumping on board the #TakeAKnee train. First it was “X-Files” stars Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny, and now it’s the entire cast of “Star Trek: Discovery.”

Actress Sonequa Martin-Green, who plays one of the show’s main characters, posted a picture of her and her fellow cast members taking a knee in solidarity with the NFL anthem protestors to Instagram shorty after “Star Trek: Discovery” premiered.

It went viral within hours.

While some social media users praised the cast for the “powerful and compassionate gesture,” most criticized them for getting political and alienating half their audience.

“Like a lot of folks, I choose to engage in recreational activities, whatever they may be, to get a few blissful minutes or hours away from the troubles of the world,” wrote one user. “You, and every other entertainer who does this are just putting those troubles front and center again.”

“I'm taking a STAND against your show. I will be boycotting it with many other patriotic Americans. Your empty gesture is meaningless and will cost you viewers,” said another.

Many others claimed they are no longer fans of the actors, the show, or the franchise.

“Life long Star Trek fan no more,” declared one user.

Sounds like “Star Trek: Discovery” is going to have a rough first (and maybe only) season.

2. Link to Post #42
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by KiwiElf (here)
    'Star Trek: Discovery' Just Lost a Ton of Viewers With Their Recent Instagram Post
    Erika Haas

https://townhall.com/notebook/erikah...-knee-n2387505
    |
    Posted: Sep 28, 2017 9:15 AM

As expected, celebrities are quickly jumping on board the #TakeAKnee train. First it was “X-Files” stars Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny, and now it’s the entire cast of “Star Trek: Discovery.”

Actress Sonequa Martin-Green, who plays one of the show’s main characters, posted a picture of her and her fellow cast members taking a knee in solidarity with the NFL anthem protestors to Instagram shorty after “Star Trek: Discovery” premiered.

It went viral within hours.

While some social media users praised the cast for the “powerful and compassionate gesture,” most criticized them for getting political and alienating half their audience.

“Like a lot of folks, I choose to engage in recreational activities, whatever they may be, to get a few blissful minutes or hours away from the troubles of the world,” wrote one user. “You, and every other entertainer who does this are just putting those troubles front and center again.”

“I'm taking a STAND against your show. I will be boycotting it with many other patriotic Americans. Your empty gesture is meaningless and will cost you viewers,” said another.

Many others claimed they are no longer fans of the actors, the show, or the franchise.

“Life long Star Trek fan no more,” declared one user.

Sounds like “Star Trek: Discovery” is going to have a rough first (and maybe only) season.
    The irony is, that all the people shaking their fists in anger for the cast "getting political" - as they state, are being just as political by boycotting the show in response. lol.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 30th September 2017 at 19:42. Reason: removed calling americans weird for the wierd political alignments and displays - It needed a larger explanation and I don't feel like writing it.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Cidersomerset (3rd October 2017), KiwiElf (1st October 2017), Smell the Roses (2nd October 2017)

4. Link to Post #43
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,168 times in 1,747 posts

Can anybody tell me what this kneefalling is all about?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

Cidersomerset (3rd October 2017), KiwiElf (1st October 2017)

6. Link to Post #44
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

@ uzn,.. In the case of Hollywood actors mentioned above, (ie ST DISCOVERY, X-FILES etc, cast), it seems to be a bit different from the NFL situation - no anthem involved, more a case of support for those in the NFL who took a kneel, but I've tried to stay out of it... I'm sure there are members who are much more knowledgeable on the subject. One thing is clear in both: the fans don't want the players/actors' political views intruding on their entertainment. (From what I can glean, it boils down to basically anti-Trump sentiments).

Meanwhile,...

ST Discovery is getting abysmal reviews on IMDB and elsewhere -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5171438/?ref_=nv_sr_1

mostly from fans of the earlier shows - despite holding an overall score of 7.2/10. By contrast, Seth MacFarlane's "The Orville" is doing better @ 7.5/10 with many fans considering the latter to be a better version of STAR TREK. (Objectively, the split seems to be about 50/50 and as devisive as many other "situations" atm).

Personally, I'm enjoying it. No, it's not the STAR TREK of old (but then I wouldn't be keen on buying a "brand new" car made exactly as it was in the 60's either. Even the original VW Beetle evolved!). To quote a line from William Shatner as Kirk in The Undiscovered Country, (the 6th STAR TREK Movie)- KIRK: "Some people are afraid ...of what might happen...People can be very frightened of change"

(On a side note, the naysayers and haters dissed the new remake of Thunderbirds Are Go in much the same way. After two very successful seasons and a third just around the corner, it's now rated as one of the top shows in the UK & elsewhere).
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 2nd October 2017 at 05:45.

7. Link to Post #45
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Season 1, Episode 3: "Context Is For Kings"

Sometimes Down Is Up

By SOPAN DEB OCT. 1, 2017
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/01/a...p.html?mcubz=3

Quote One of my early complaints about “Star Trek: Discovery” is that we don’t know much about character motivations. This week’s episode three is titled, aptly, “Context Is for Kings,” and offers more information about where the show is headed.

Yet, in addition to being a convoluted hour, it’s also gloomy and uncomfortable. This is, essentially, a second pilot for “Discovery.” A pair of central characters (T’Kuvma and Georgiou) were killed off in the first two episodes. Now, we’re on a different ship with a different crew and Michael Burnham is in a powerless position. Very rarely does a series hit the reboot button so soon, but here we are.

We finally meet the show’s main vessel, the Discovery, after a transport ship moving prisoners, including Burnham, is diverted. By the end of the episode, Burnham, known to all of Starfleet as a mutineer, is a member of Captain Gabriel Lorca’s (played by the always charismatic Jason Isaacs) crew.

Burnham’s introduction to Captain Lorca’s crew was far from seamless, with other crew members hurling insults (she’s called garbage, mutineer, dangerous, among others), making it clear she isn’t welcome. Her own roommate won’t share a station in engineering with her. She gets attacked by fellow prisoners. Burnham doesn’t want to be there. Given Burnham’s mutiny, why should we as viewers want to be along for this ride?
    Full article at link...

8. Link to Post #46
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 times in 297 posts

Quote Posted by uzn (here)
    Can anybody tell me what this kneefalling is all about?
    A football player Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the playing of the national anthem. When I first heard about it, I thought he was showing respect for people who died defending the US (I'm a sports atheist), but then he stated it was because "I am not going to stand to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder." One assumes Kaepernick is talking about police shooting black people and getting away with it.

So now Trump has weighed in because he is pro-police, pro-veterans and pro-sports owners. People have dumped their sports channels and tickets and burned their NFL gear.

People seem to be generally sick of millionaires with an entertainment or sports platform making political statements. I think they are basically tired of being told what to think. Team owners are all 'Do it on your own time, drama queen, we have a business to run.'

I, who knows nothing of professional sports, never understood the linkage between patriotism and sports, unless sports is a peacetime mental readiness for war exercise. The Man keeps the patriotic/aggression active so he can point at the next target when needed.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marikins For This Post:

BMJ (13th October 2017), Cidersomerset (2nd October 2017), KiwiElf (2nd October 2017), lilac (16th October 2017), uzn (2nd October 2017)

10. Link to Post #47
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,637 times in 18,693 posts

I enjoyed episode three , it is grittier and seems to be taking the covert
    darker story line from other series of Star Trek. All empires/federations
    have their intergalactic MI6/CIA etc......

Article 14, Section 31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn5RCftFB8w

Section 31 Predates the Federation Charter ....Enterprise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug0SHD64ZPg

Section 31 - The Spy ....compilation from various episodes and series...

Last edited by Cidersomerset; 2nd October 2017 at 13:05.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

BMJ (13th October 2017), KiwiElf (2nd October 2017), Smell the Roses (3rd October 2017), uzn (2nd October 2017)

12. Link to Post #48
    United States Avalon Member Smell the Roses's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 times in 285 posts

Our family has seen every Star Trek episode, but this one is challenging for us with the streaming aspect. We have CBS All Access, but could barely get through episode two, because it crashed every time the ads were loaded. We literally had to reload it fifty times just to get to the end of Episode Two. We are in a rural area with not very good Internet. I haven't even tried to watch episode three yet. I feel like these urban types don't realize that there are many Americans who don't have access to high speed Internet.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

Cidersomerset (2nd October 2017), KiwiElf (2nd October 2017)

14. Link to Post #49
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cidersomerset (here)
    I enjoyed episode three , it is grittier and seems to be taking the covert
    darker story line from other series of Star Trek. All empires/federations
    have their intergalactic MI6/CIA etc......
    Yes .... The Discovery being a high tech "above top secret" black ops ship is an interesting approach ...

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Cidersomerset (2nd October 2017), KiwiElf (2nd October 2017), uzn (2nd October 2017)

16. Link to Post #50
    Thanks

Quote Yes .... The Discovery being a high tech "above top secret" black ops ship is an interesting approach ...
    Its certainly a contrast to the Orville , from the fluffy side of the Tekkie universe
    and ties into the murky world of today . I expect it will broaden out if it runs
    for several seasons. But if it is going the section 31 route it is telling part of
    the overall existing star Trek cannon....
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 2nd October 2017 at 14:42.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

DeDukshyn (2nd October 2017), KiwiElf (2nd October 2017)

18. Link to Post #51
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Merry Mom (here)
    Our family has seen every Star Trek episode, but this one is challenging for us with the streaming aspect. We have CBS All Access, but could barely get through episode two, because it crashed every time the ads were loaded. We literally had to reload it fifty times just to get to the end of Episode Two. We are in a rural area with not very good Internet. I haven't even tried to watch episode three yet. I feel like these urban types don't realize that there are many Americans who don't have access to high speed Internet.
    I was initially worried about access as I won't be subscribing to CBS, but in Canada, Space channel is carrying it and it is also available via Space on Demand and on the Space website (with account). I didn't see any other channels carrying it though ....

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

KiwiElf (2nd October 2017), Smell the Roses (3rd October 2017)

20. Link to Post #52
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I think you folks nailed it: DISCOVERY may be the black ops division of Starfleet, (which could easily explain the secrecy, advanced design etc). Certainly no boring moments in #3! Like previous versions of STAR TREK, DISCOVERY reflects actual world events as we see them now. This TREK really is "boldly going where no one has gone before"
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 2nd October 2017 at 18:02.

21. Link to Post #53
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Merry Mom, I'm inclined to recommend turning to the "dark side"

22. Link to Post #54
    Thanks

Collider does good G O Thrones reviews and in this one they are agreeing that this
    possibly based on section 31 and is more like the Expanse so far than conventional
    Star Trek. They also think the 'Mirror Universe' may play a big part in this series
    other than the usual one off episodes already done in DS9, Next Gen and Enterprise.

Star Trek Discovery Episode 3 "Context Is For Kings" Review

Streamed live 4 hours ago

John Rocha and David Griffin are joined on the Collider bridge by Jason Inman
    and Ashley V. Robinson to review ‘Context Is For Kings’, the third episode of
    ‘Star Trek: Discovery’. They offer their observations on the new Discovery crew
    who we meet in this episode. And on the continuing storylines of this season as
    the Federation vs Klingons war rages on. They also might be joined by a noted
    Star Trek guest expert to offer his unique take on the show.
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 2nd October 2017 at 23:26.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

BMJ (13th October 2017), DeDukshyn (3rd October 2017), KiwiElf (2nd October 2017), Smell the Roses (3rd October 2017), uzn (4th October 2017)

24. Link to Post #55
    Thanks

I finally got to see Episode 3 by getting up very early this morning when the radio tower still has bandwidth available. It certainly had some twists and turns. My impression was that the captain is lying to Burnham about what the spores do? Certainly Captain Janeway would be upset if the ability to travel instantly between quadrants has been suppressed! I wanted the captain to be a good guy, because I am struggling to root for any of the characters, but the last scene seems to indicate that he won't be a hero. Burnham's red-headed roommate Tilly was a refreshing change from the usual. I liked her honesty.
    There's no time like the present.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

Cidersomerset (3rd October 2017), DeDukshyn (3rd October 2017), KiwiElf (3rd October 2017)

26. Link to Post #56
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I finally got to see Episode 3 by getting up very early this morning when the radio tower still has bandwidth available. It certainly had some twists and turns. My impression was that the captain is lying to Burnham about what the spores do? Certainly Captain Janeway would be upset if the ability to travel instantly between quadrants has been suppressed! I wanted the captain to be a good guy, because I am struggling to root for any of the characters, but the last scene seems to indicate that he won't be a hero. Burnham's red-headed roommate Tilly was a refreshing change from the usual. I liked her honesty.
    You may be right ... but the bit of back story provided on the spores does makes some sense on how they might leverage the myco-tendrils or whatever for travel. Regardless, what does seem evident is that the Discovery is focused on research with Biology as opposed to technology - as the "bio-weapon" that they plucked from their sister ship lends to (The captain was obviously well aware that that thing existed). The focus of biology as technology seems a plausible path for such an entity as The Federation on the brink of war with Klingons.

I watched it again last night and have to say I love the possibilities this approach opens up for future episodes. Already can't wait until next Sunday

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Cidersomerset (3rd October 2017), KiwiElf (4th October 2017), Smell the Roses (4th October 2017)

28. Link to Post #57
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Have to admit, I had to go back & watch it a second time, too DeDukshyn. I picked up a lot more 2nd time around. (Rhetorical questions: Why were the bodies of the crew members on the USS Glen scrambled? (sister ship to the Discovery), and what is that "bio-weapon" creature about? It seems the rest of Starfleet don't even know about these ships. Yeah, I'm hooked on this series already

29. Link to Post #58
    Thanks

I will have to watch it again also, as I realized that I missed a whole section in between ads. Also, I want to hear what he said about the spores again and the context of Kings part. The spores remind me somewhat of the neural gel packs from Voyager.
    There's no time like the present.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

Cidersomerset (9th October 2017), DeDukshyn (4th October 2017), KiwiElf (4th October 2017)

31. Link to Post #59
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Maybe just me but, I wasn't overly thrilled with number four. Maybe I set my expectations too high ...?

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Cidersomerset (9th October 2017), KiwiElf (9th October 2017)

33. Link to Post #60
    Thanks

Quote Maybe just me but, I wasn't overly thrilled with number four. Maybe I set my expectations too high ...?
    I enjoyed it , I liked the captain he has presence , Michael is fitting in if a bit predictable.
    What wasn't was the security officer getting killed off, they are going the GOT route which
    is becoming more fashionable and with no 'Red Shirts' secondary characters are fair
    game as well. I'm not sold on the Klingons makeover and slow speech , but as they are
    the main adversary this season I hope they grow on me. As for the story line I like the
    continuous thread and it will be an interesting journey I feel.

Reading back my review it is not that glowing but I liked it better than it sounds.....

Star Trek: Discovery Episode 4 Recap & Review "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not For The Lamb's Cry

pub 8th oct
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 9th October 2017 at 17:27.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

DeDukshyn (9th October 2017), KiwiElf (9th October 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 3 7 LastLast