+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unknown creature photographed in Louisiana

1. Link to Post #1
    Australia Avalon Member str8thinker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 times in 530 posts

Default Unknown creature photographed in Louisiana

Quote BATON ROUGE, La. - A photo snapped by a deer stand camera is drawing a lot of questions; some think it looks like a creature from another world.

"It looks like an alien from another planet to me," Scott Durham of the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries said.

Wildlife and fishing experts looked at it, but they don't know what it is. One expert joked he hopes he never runs into it and hopes it is a vegetarian.

"[It looks like a] skeleton of some kind, with a little skin on it, glowing eyes looking into the camera," Jimmy Staton said.
    (Copyright © 2010 NBC Universal, All Rights Reserved)
    http://www.9news.com/news/watercoole...9137&catid=337

Chupacabra?
    Last edited by str8thinker; 12th December 2010 at 00:19.

2. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Unknown creature photographed in Louisiana

true it does look skeletal/starved and disorientated...hope it's not hunting for food...maybe the dimensions started to play up and these beings are sipping through to our density without them wanting to...it doesn't look friendly... l

.edit to add

looks like one of messerschmidt's pieces to me:

Last edited by lightblue; 12th December 2010 at 00:39. Reason: add photo

3. Link to Post #3
    England Avalon Member HURRITT ENYETO's Avatar
    Over the Moon Under the Sun. Manchester UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,333 times in 531 posts

The comments under the original article are quite telling me thinks:

Legalizer wrote:
    Image analysis has already determined this to be a photoshopped hoax.
    9News you really should take care before 'reporting' internet faeces.

But this comment was funny:

Was it looking for ring and repeating "My precious"

Hurritt

12/11/2010 12:06 AM PST on 9news.com
    The Universe at its heart is a Phantom.
    God sleeps in the Minerals, Awakens in Plants, Walks in the Animals and Thinks in Man.

4. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 times in 687 posts

I thought it was a fake that has been floating around.

5. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Thanks for your feedback. If this is viral marketing, it's the lowest of the low. One would expect a reliable news channel to come clean or at least do some basic investigation.

So, what do we know about it?

1) The creature appears on a pic in Wildgame Innovations' Facebook with the date shown as 11.30.2010.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...00000045728032

Quote A deer hunter in the U.S. posted a video said to feature the creature on the Wildgame Innovations website - and the piercing white eyes aren't the sort you would want to meet on a dark night.

The hunter said he was lying in wait in the pitch black when a ghoulish spectre filled his sights.

Its eyes glowing in the light of his torch, it leapt from the undergrowth and flashed a look at the camera before vanishing back into the bushes.

The hunter, who has chosen to remain anonymous, was so frightened he said he broke the camera but retrieved the image from its undamaged memory chip.

The picture was taken on a reserve in Berwick near Morgan City, Louisiana.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ht-camera.html

2) The deer cam also appears to have photographed deer, though on 21 and 27 November, not 30 November. The camera seems to be in a slightly different position when each shot was taken.

http://www.disclose.tv/forum/deer-st...t38214-10.html

3)The NBC news story arose from an invitation to viewers to send in pics that could be placed in the newscast. The date shown at the bottom of the image when announced on NBC has changed to 4th December. Furthermore, the red Wildgame Innovations logo at the bottom left hand corner was edited out before the photo appeared in the news.

For a comparison of the original vs the NBC shot, see here. Also a nice pic of a swamp monster mask which might have been used in it.

4)
    Quote It was originally being passed off as real, but now inside sources close to the production say its actually a viral image from Super 8 (a new Abrams/Spielberg film to come out soon)
    http://www.movieviral.com/2010/12/12...l-for-super-8/

5)
    Quote I googled the company, Wildgame Innovations, and visited their website. They sell the game cameras and game attractants/feed. They have a section called "Success Stories" where people can share photos they've taken with their game cameras, or photos of trophies caught through use of the products. I scrolled through the whole thing and did not find the creature picture. However, I did notice that almost all of the shots which were taken with the actual game camera display the exact same red Wildgame Innovations logo in the exact same spot, lower left corner, with a date stamp in the lower right. The photos of people displaying trophy animals they'd killed, which were obviously taken with an actual camera, did not show this logo at all. This makes me think that the Wildgame Innovations logo on the game camera shots is in fact something that shows up on photos taken with their brand of camera, designed to be there like the date stamp, and not a watermark that they add to their photos before posting them online. So, it is possible, unless some other evidence shows up to implicate Wildgame Innovations in a viral hoax, that their logo is on that picture simply because the picture was taken with one of those cameras. Perhaps it was edited out by the news, so as not to give them free advertising. I have no idea why the date stamps should be different, and I'll grant you that that is certainly fishy, but I do not believe based on what I have seen that just the presence of that logo on the photograph marks it a hoax.
    http://www.disclose.tv/forum/deer-st...t38214-10.html

6)
    Quote Something that doesn't support it being a viral marketing campaign for Super 8 is that the teaser trailer begins with the words:

Quote In 1979, the U.S. Air Force closed a section of Area 51...

...All materials were to be transported to a secure facility in Ohio.
    Then we see a train crashing and some creature inside one of the compartments buckling the steel trying to get out, so presumably the film is about aliens on the loose.

Louisiana is nowhere near a direct train route from Nevada to Ohio, so the decision to publish a fake photo of a creature supposedly seen in Louisiana doesn't make much sense if it's going to turn out to be promoting the Super 8 movie.
    7) Quite apart from Super 8 and aliens, there is a well established legend surrounding the "Louisiana monster" (aka Honey Island Swamp Monster).

Quote Berwick is a town in St. Mary Parish (shown above), Louisiana, United States. The population was 4,418 at the 2000 census. The first white settler to trek through the wilderness in this area was Thomas Berwick, a surveyor from Pennsylvania who was working in Opelousas, Louisiana. He settled along the banks of the Atchafalaya River in the late 18th century. Today the town of Berwick is home to several seafood processing plants and numerous boat companies.

Nearby, relatively speaking, are the reports of the Honey Island Swamp monster, a hairy humanoid or anthropoid cryptid reported from Honey Island Swamp, Louisiana since 1963. To Native Americans, this cryptid is called Letiche. Cajun have named it the Tainted Keitre.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/la-pic/

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/lost-...wamp-creature/

After all this, it seems quite possible that either the original photo is real and unexplained or else it is of someone dressed in a suit with goggles that reflect the camera flash, same as the deers' retinas.

Quote If the photo were somehow legit, and this was an image of a nocturnal swamp monster, the glowing eyes wouldn't be that surprising. Many animals who operate at night posses a reflective layer behind their eyes called the tapetum lucidum.

http://www.paranormalpopculture.com/

It seems likely that someone else copied it from the website, removed the logo and changed the date, then submitted it to NBC. If it turns out not to be part of a scene from Super 8, then it will remain a mystery. The creature is not unlike that of the supposed chupacabra in this video:

Perhaps we should not be too hasty to dismiss it as viral marketing - yet.
    Last edited by str8thinker; 12th December 2010 at 12:03.

6. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

A friend sent me this link which now reveals that even the "original" pic (with the WildGames logo) was Photoshopped.

Quote Further, if you use a file decoding program, such as JPEGsnoop, you can view the hidden EXIF data that is contained in almost every image, revealing such detailed information as the type of camera used, the time, and even location that the image was taken from.

Download both pictures, although EXIF data is missing from both pictures you can clearly tell the mystery photo was manipulated as its pixel size is different.

The deer photo is 1797 x 1348 px.
    The mystery photo is 1705 x 1279 px.

Digital cameras at a given resolution always capture the same size image. The file size may vary given JPEG compression but the image size should be a constant in pixels.

Next up, pull the photos into an editor, use the curves tool to blow up exposure. Notice around the head of the 'boogey man' has a black blur around it? That's a blending job at work in photoshop. See how the deer doesn't have that going on."

While it was certainly fun to believe that such a horrendous monster could exist out there in the deep dark woods, I think it's safe to say this little mystery is debunked.
    http://byjov.blogspot.com/2010/12/mystery-alienzombie-hunting-pic.html

There is a lot more discussion in this thread, the best I've seen so far on this matter. Some are still convinced the pic is real.

7. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 times in 339 posts

Somewhat reminds me of the CCTV footage from England, where something runs across the busy highway in the middle of the night. Just doesn't seem possible to tell what it is. Can anyone post the CCTV footage I am referring to? This image above seems fishy to me but not out of the realms of possibility.
    “Someday after mastering winds, waves, tides and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love. And then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will discover fire.”
    ~Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

8. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

You mean this one?

That's no alien...that's Frogger!

Here's an article about it:
    http://www.ghosttheory.com/2010/05/2...-crossing-road

Ah well, it's probably roadkill by now...

There's also this one:

Probably one of Santa's elves finding out who's been naughty or nice.
    Last edited by str8thinker; 16th December 2010 at 01:40.

9. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

I was under the impression that this is a still from an upcoming "found footage" movie.

+ Reply to Thread