+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst 1 10 20 30 LastLast

Thread: Weird, wild weather: floods, freak storms, giant hail, record lows, all over the world

1. Link to Post #381
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,852 times in 1,609 posts

Default Re: Weird, wild weather: floods, freak storms, giant hail, record lows, all over the world

Quote Posted by Bob (here)
    The prediction 24 hours ago was over 120 degrees F in the shade. Very hot for this early in the season..
    Holy cow, I feel for you. At least you've got A/C I suppose. 120F here would literally destroy the whole country and everything (and everyone) in it.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Star Mariner For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th July 2018), Bob (23rd July 2018), Foxie Loxie (24th July 2018), RunningDeer (23rd July 2018), Tintin (27th July 2018)

3. Link to Post #382
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,755 times in 2,223 posts

Default Re: Weird, wild weather: floods, freak storms, giant hail, record lows, all over the world

Seems all sorts going on with the increasing hot weather world wide...what's causing this... rumours abound re Nibiru..Solar storm.. personally I haven't got a clue but one of the best summer's here in UK

Greece is in the grip of deadly wildfires as soaring temperatures continue across much of Europe

In Sweden at least one person has been killed and dozens more injured by forest fires. Hot weather and persistent drought have seen wildfires raging as far north as the Arctic Circle

Neighbouring Norway experienced its hottest May temperatures on record and has also suffered forest fires

Parts of the UK are also experiencing a prolonged heatwave and the government has issued a "heat-health watch" alert in the east and south-east of England

Cities across eastern Canada suffered a deadly heatwave in early July, with at least 70 deaths in Quebec province alone

A heatwave in Southern California saw record-breaking temperatures in some areas including a sweltering 48.9C (120F) in Chino, outside Los Angeles

Reports from Algeria say that Africa's hottest ever recorded temperature was registered in the northern city of Ouargla on 5 July - 51.3C (124.3F)

Japan's weather agency has declared a heatwave sweeping the country a natural disaster, with at least 65 deaths recorded in the past week.

An agency spokesman warned that "unprecedented levels of heat" were being seen in some areas.

More than 22,000 people have been admitted to hospital with heat stroke, nearly half of them elderly, emergency officials say.

The heatwave shows no sign of abating, forecasters say.

On Monday, the city of Kumagaya reported a temperature of 41.1C (106F), the highest ever recorded in Japan.

In central Tokyo, temperatures over 40C were also registered for the first time.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/05/globa...wave-7685120/#

Viking
    You decide...your thoughts..your actions..your reality.
    Choose well.
    http://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...are-the-change

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to viking For This Post:

avid (24th July 2018), Bill Ryan (24th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (24th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), RunningDeer (24th July 2018), Star Mariner (25th July 2018), Star Tsar (24th July 2018), Tintin (27th July 2018), Wind (24th July 2018)

5. Link to Post #383
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,183 times in 267 posts

Not hot where I am sorry. a brisk 12 deg C. Beanie, thermals and and puffer jackets

This article in today's Guardian might answer your question. Doesn't mention Niburu

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hats-the-cause

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

avid (24th July 2018), Bill Ryan (24th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (24th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), RunningDeer (24th July 2018), Star Mariner (25th July 2018), Star Tsar (24th July 2018), viking (24th July 2018)

7. Link to Post #384
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 times in 665 posts

I've grown a Bougainvillea for the first time ever up here in Merseyside - outdoors and now in full bloom - Gorgeous !
    No complaints with the weather from me - takes me back to '76

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (24th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), RunningDeer (24th July 2018), Star Mariner (25th July 2018), viking (24th July 2018)

9. Link to Post #385
    United States Avalon Member mpennery's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,687 times in 907 posts

It’s called Summer. And it’s not even very hot. There were much warmer temperatures pre-industrial revolution.

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...t_ice_age.html

The Next Ice Age
    By S. Fred Singer
    While most people still worry about global warming, I am more concerned about the next Ice Age. A glaciation would present a serious problem for survival of our present civilization, akin to a nuclear winter that many worried about 30 years ago.

Nuclear winter is all fantasy, of course; but ice ages are for real.

Natural warming of the Earth reached a peak 65 million years ago. The climate has been generally cooling ever since. Antarctic ice sheets started growing 25 million years ago. In the last 2.5 million years, the Earth entered the period of Ice Ages [the geological name is The Pleistocene] and has been experiencing periodic glaciations where much of the land was covered by miles-thick ice sheets.

There have been about 17 glaciations, each lasting approx. 100,000 years, separated by short inter-glacials lasting about 10,000 years.

We are approaching the likely end of the present warm inter-glacial, called The Holocene. It’s time to prepare for the next glaciation to see how we can overcome it – or at least postpone its onset.

Although we don’t fully understand the gradual onset and sudden termination of each glaciation, their timing is determined by astronomical factors – the inclination and precession of the Earth’s spin axis. They control the amount of sunshine [solar energy] reaching northern latitudes. The mathematics was worked out by the Serbian astronomer Milankovitch, but the physics is not yet certain.

It is currently believed that a glaciation gets underway when a northern snow field [at latitude of about 65 degree N] survives during the summer and then gradually grows into an ice sheet.

The survived snow field acts as a “trigger” for commencing a glaciation. Its growth into an icesheet is conditioned by the “feedback” as it reflects solar radiation and thus resists being melted by solar energy in the following summers.

It is at this point where we can beneficially interfere. The effort involves two simple steps:

Step 1. Locate any snow field that survives the summer, which can be done most readily by reviewing available satellite data.

Step 2. Spread soot onto the snow field to reduce its albedo [reflectivity] and let the sun melt it during the following summer.

Note that this proposal has low cost and little environmental risk – unlike schemes of geo-engineering to “fight” global warming.

This is a serious matter. The most recent glaciation which ended only 12,000 years ago covered Canada and the northern United States, as well as much of Europe. It left us the Great Lakes and also many small lakes in Minnesota. The total human population at that time is estimated about 100,000 Neanderthalers and eventually also Homo Sapiens.

The present population explosion started with the growth of agriculture about 8,000 years ago. Harvest of crops continues to sustain such expansion, but may become impossible during a glaciation.

We don’t know if the human population will shrink to the “carrying capacity” of the Earth. The Neanderthalers were hunters; when they ran out of animals, they starved. But with likely supplies of unlimited energy and some human ingenuity, we may surmount this limit.

S. Fred Singer is professor emeritus at the University of Virginia and a founding director and now chairman emeritus of the Science & Environmental Policy Project. In 2014, after 25 years, he stepped down as president of SEPP. His specialty is atmospheric and space physics. An expert in remote sensing and satellites, he served as the founding director of the U.S. Weather Satellite Service, now part of NOAA. More recently, he served as vice chair of the U.S. National Advisory Committee on Oceans & Atmosphere. He is an elected fellow of several scientific societies, including APS, AGU, AAAS, AIAA, Sigma Xi, and Tau Beta Pi, and a senior fellow of the Heartland Institute and the Independent Institute. He co-authored the N.Y. Times bestseller Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years. In 2007, he founded and has chaired the NIPCC (Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change), which has released several scientific reports (see NIPCCreport.org). For recent writings, see http://www.americanthinker.com/s_fred_singer and also Google Scholar.U
    "The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."
    - Susan Sarandon in Bull Durham

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mpennery For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (25th July 2018), Bill Ryan (24th July 2018), CurEus (24th July 2018), Did You See Them (24th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (24th July 2018), Ivanhoe (24th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), RunningDeer (24th July 2018), Star Mariner (25th July 2018), TargeT (24th July 2018), Wind (24th July 2018)

11. Link to Post #386
    Thanks

Quote Posted by viking (here)
    ... but one of the best summer's here in UK
    Mate, you've got to be kidding. If I hear one more superlative attached to this heatwave I'll tear out my hair!

Even the damn forecasters are doing it, last night it was 'tomorrow will be another beautiful day'. I don't call 90F and extreme humidity beautiful. No one I know thinks so either -- not after 5 bloody weeks of this without a break. We do not have A/C in our homes in the UK, on the contrary, we have insulation designed to trap heat!! I've hardly had one decent night's sleep in over a month. And I'm not alone! I'd much rather have 5 weeks of rain, or snow than this. At least then I could get some damn sleep at the end of a day's work. /rant
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Star Mariner For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (25th July 2018), Bill Ryan (24th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (24th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), RunningDeer (24th July 2018), TargeT (24th July 2018), viking (24th July 2018), Wind (24th July 2018)

13. Link to Post #387
    Thanks
    Thanked 41,522 times in 6,825 posts

It's been one of the hottest summers here in Finland in years. Last year we didn't even have a proper summer as it was so cold and rainy! Now I do like warmth and sun a lot, certainly way more than cold. It's just that when you don't have a proper air conditioner, the hot 30 C air inside the apartment doesn't feel very nice either. It's rare to have wildfires here in Scandinavia and yet we've been having many! The leaves on the trees have been turning yellow and orange because they've dried so much, that's something that I don't remember seeing before! Hot times for sure.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (25th July 2018), Bill Ryan (24th July 2018), littleOne (24th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), Star Mariner (24th July 2018), TargeT (24th July 2018)

15. Link to Post #388
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,357 times in 2,953 posts

Much sympathy to you U.K.ers!! Has Piers Corbyn spoken out about it?

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (25th July 2018), Bill Ryan (26th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), RunningDeer (24th July 2018), Star Mariner (24th July 2018), TargeT (24th July 2018), Wind (24th July 2018)

17. Link to Post #389
    Virgin Islands Avalon Member TargeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,719 times in 7,043 posts

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    Quote Posted by viking (here)
    ... but one of the best summer's here in UK
    Mate, you've got to be kidding. If I hear one more superlative attached to this heatwave I'll tear out my hair!

Even the damn forecasters are doing it, last night it was 'tomorrow will be another beautiful day'. I don't call 90F and extreme humidity beautiful. No one I know thinks so either -- not after 5 bloody weeks of this without a break. We do not have A/C in our homes in the UK, on the contrary, we have insulation designed to trap heat!! I've hardly had one decent night's sleep in over a month. And I'm not alone! I'd much rather have 5 weeks of rain, or snow than this. At least then I could get some damn sleep at the end of a day's work. /rant
    No AC here, 100% humidity and 90+ for a solid 4 months... I think it's beautiful

What your experiencing is a larger than normal differential, that's understandable.. but doesn't mean 90f+ can't be awesome

My tip, get a couple of badass fans

This one is like a quiet wind tunnel:
    https://www.amazon.com/Vornado-CR1-0...ds=vornado+fan
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (25th July 2018), Bill Ryan (26th July 2018), Bob (24th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (24th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), RunningDeer (24th July 2018), Star Mariner (24th July 2018), Tintin (27th July 2018), viking (24th July 2018), Wind (25th July 2018)

19. Link to Post #390
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    What your experiencing is a larger than normal differential, that's understandable.. but doesn't mean 90f+ can't be awesome
    I must be too hot-blooded, or something...

Although I did once get badly sunburnt (in Mexico), and couldn't sit, stand, walk, move, for days without great pain. That probably had a negative effect on the psyche. I'm sensitive to sunlight too. If it's bright outside, I can't go anywhere without sunglasses.

I guess I'm an oddity - in more ways than one - but whenever it gets hot, I just wanna hide myself away [like in southern Spain, where I spent many summers in my youth, I basically lived in bars full-time, air-conditioned bars, and never once went to the beach even though I was living next to one!].
    Last edited by Star Mariner; 24th July 2018 at 16:07.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Star Mariner For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (25th July 2018), Bill Ryan (26th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (24th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), RunningDeer (24th July 2018), TargeT (24th July 2018), Tintin (27th July 2018), Valerie Villars (29th July 2018), Wind (25th July 2018)

21. Link to Post #391
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,867 times in 357 posts

We Brits, are more used to trench foot, than heat stroke I must admit I'm enjoying this spate of hot weather. It wasn't uncommon to get high temps like this back in the day. I hope it isn't a prelude to a bad winter.
    Am I one of many or am I many of one ? interesting .

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to scanner For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (25th July 2018), Bill Ryan (26th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (24th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), RunningDeer (24th July 2018), Star Mariner (24th July 2018), Tintin (27th July 2018), Wind (25th July 2018)

23. Link to Post #392
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,357 times in 2,953 posts

"Sea level UK(I must move)....made me laugh out loud!!

Star Mariner....I can't be in the sun either; must be my English-Dutch genes coming into play!

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), RunningDeer (24th July 2018), scanner (24th July 2018), Star Mariner (24th July 2018), Tintin (27th July 2018)

25. Link to Post #393
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,785 times in 4,213 posts

This is a weird one. A large area of Siberia went dark as night for about 3 hours in the middle of the day.

Published on 24 Jul 2018
    .................................................. my first language is TYPO..............................................

26. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (25th July 2018), Bill Ryan (26th July 2018), Bob (25th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th July 2018), Jayke (25th July 2018), Michelle Marie (25th July 2018), Reinhard (30th July 2018), RunningDeer (25th July 2018), Star Mariner (25th July 2018), Tintin (27th July 2018), Valerie Villars (29th July 2018), Wind (26th July 2018)

27. Link to Post #394
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Reminds me of a Haboob - where it can get pitch black inside.. (saw these in the mid-east and outside of Flagstaff AZ)..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haboob

Induced by storm system.. In the video I didn't hear of any storm in the area.. Seems that may be a good bit of research to look at weather conditions for a potential direction for explanation..

Quote During thunderstorm formation, winds move in a direction opposite to the storm's travel, and they move from all directions into the thunderstorm. When the storm collapses, and begins to release precipitation, wind directions reverse, gusting outward from the storm and generally gusting the strongest in the direction of the storm's travel. Haboobs can also form when a strong thunderstorm weakens rapidly, and releases a microburst.

When this downdraft of cold air, or downburst, reaches the ground, it blows dry, loose silt and clay (collectively, dust) up from the desert, creating a wall of sediment that precedes the storm cloud. This wall of dust can be up to 100 km (62 mi) wide and several kilometers in elevation.

At their strongest, haboob winds often travel at 35–100 km/h (22–62 mph), and they may approach with little or no warning. Often rain does not appear at ground level as it evaporates in the hot, dry air (a phenomenon known as virga).

The evaporation cools the rushing air even further and accelerates it. Occasionally, when the rain does persist, it can contain a considerable quantity of dust. Severe cases are called mud storms. Eye and respiratory system protection is advisable for anyone who must be outside during a haboob.
    WeatherChannel reports https://weather.com/news/weather/vid...iberia-on-fire there are EXTREME fires happening in Siberia at this time, so it is quite possible that a firestorm induced "haboob" was possible with the extreme updrafts and potential cooling/concentration of smoke and dust. Carbon soot from burnt forest and grasslands could be part of the particulates involved.

(UPDATE - the weatherchannel video shown talks about the fires in 2016. Currently there ARE fires in the areas and there is smoke and soot present so thick and dense and massive that it is traveling all the way into CANADA). See next post and my later posts for the NASA data.
    Last edited by Bob; 25th July 2018 at 20:12.

28. Link to Post #395
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

More on the sun disappearing in Siberia - (see Norman's post above)
    According to the regional news site Yakutia 24, the Eveno-Bytantaysky and Zhigansky districts of Yakutia inexplicably plunged into 3 hours of mysterious darkness between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. local time on Friday. Photos provided by bewildered locals show little more than the black shadows of trees and buildings cast against a reddish haze of sky. Adding to the ominous atmosphere, the air seemed to be thick with a grimy haze of black dust.

"It was impossible to be in the street," witnesses of the bizarre event told the news site Sakha Daily. Other locals reported that it was suddenly pitch-black in their homes, that the mysterious smog turned barrels of water into barrels of mud and that nearby lakes emerged from the eclipse covered in a filthy, black layer of pollution.
    So the "black dust" was appearing turning water barrels into mud.. That then seems like the soot from the firestorms, and the "haboob" like effect, from a stormfront concentrating the soot..

This is an aerosol map of the area, showing the highest concentrations of smoke/dust. BTW these Siberian fires' smoke is being reported as reaching Canada.

NASA's Earth Observatory states, it's wildfire season in Siberia, and hundreds of fires have already burned tens of thousands of acres of forest since May. While most of these fires are hundreds of miles away from the dust-eclipsed towns in question, smoke and aerosols released by some of these fires have been tracked halfway around the world.

One cluster of fires sparked on July 3 produced a smoke plume so massive that it traveled more than 5,000 miles (8,000 kilometers) in the span of 11 days, passing across northeastern Russia, through Alaska and into central Canada before beginning to weaken.

29. Link to Post #396
    Thanks

WeatherChannel reports https://weather.com/news/weather/vid...iberia-on-fire there are EXTREME fires happening in Siberia at this time, so it is quite possible that a firestorm induced "haboob" was possible with the extreme updrafts and potential cooling/concentration of smoke and dust. Carbon soot from burnt forest and grasslands could be part of the particulates involved.
    That weather report is from summer 2016. Also, the latest reports from this unexplained darkening refute the presence of dust. "There was no dust. Many were coming outside, so many witnesses can confirm that there was no dust.." It might be a plume from a wildfire, but seems kind of far-fetched - the affected area was the size of Italy. That's bloody huge.

https://siberiantimes.com/other/othe...ay-into-night/
    Last edited by Star Mariner; 25th July 2018 at 19:42.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Star Mariner For This Post:

avid (25th July 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (29th July 2018), Bill Ryan (26th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th July 2018), Jayke (25th July 2018), norman (25th July 2018), RunningDeer (26th July 2018)

31. Link to Post #397
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    That weather report is from summer 2016. Also, the latest reports from this unexplained darkening refute the presence of dust. "There was no dust. Many were coming outside, so many witnesses can confirm that there was no dust.." It might be a plume from a wildfire, but seems kind of far-fetched - the affected area was the size of Italy. That's bloody huge.

https://siberiantimes.com/other/othe...ay-into-night/
    Sorry for using an earlier image link from WeatherChannel, so sorry it confused you - it doesn't matter the stock footage from weather channel showed an earlier representation if a point is being made about fires in Siberia generating black soot. It shows the effects of ongoing issues in Siberia from fires. People at the site described a "cold" was present and then the soot appeared and contaminated the ground. That is obvious then what is happening.

NASA currently does show the soot from the existing fires. There ARE extreme fires happening in Siberia. That is the point and remains the point behind what could be causing "blackness" and something resembling a haboob.

SOOT that has been coalesced (condensed and lumped due to extreme heat) can look like dust if white ash has been mixed in - it can even start to form hail-like particles in size. AND the Siberian report reports the black SOOT. That means fires.

The Siberian area of Russia is experiencing a huge wave of wildfires in their taiga forests. Hot, dry weather complicates the outlook for getting these fires under control. Estimates of the amount of land burning at present have been as high as ten million hectares since the beginning of 2018 which is 38,610 square miles. Fires are dangerous, of course, and do significant damage to the area where they are burning, however, smoke is dangerous as well and can spread so much more quickly than fire as evidenced by this satellite image showing the smoke from the Siberian fires reaching Canada.

The smoke released by any type of fire (forest, brush, crop, structure, tires, waste or wood burning) is a mixture of particles and chemicals produced by incomplete burning of carbon-containing materials. All smoke contains carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and particulate matter or soot and is hazardous to breathe. Recently though, a study was published in Nature Geoscience in May 2017 which discovered that particle pollution from wildfires, long known for containing soot and other fine particles known to be dangerous to human health, is much worse than previously thought. Naturally burning timber and brush from wildfires release dangerous particles into the air at a rate three times as high as levels known by the EPA, researchers at Georgia Tech found. The study also found wildfires spew methanol, benzene, ozone and other noxious chemicals. Residents that smell smoke or see haze in the air should take precautions against breathing too much of it and stay tuned to local air quality information.

This satellite image was captured on July 23, 2018. Actively burning areas (hot spots) are outlined in red. Each hot spot is an area where the thermal detectors recognized temperatures higher than background. When accompanied by plumes of smoke, as in this image, such hot spots are diagnostic for fire. NASA image courtesy of the NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center Earth Science Data and Information System (ESDIS) project. Caption by Lynn Jenner with information from Georgia Tech study (Journal reference: https://www.nature.com/articles/ngeo2960)

Last Updated: July 24, 2018
    ABOVE IS the latest report, 24 July, 2018 and that seems clear to me.

Reiterating, from my post above, this AEROSOL (meaning soot/smoke/particles (which can be dust too) map shows the locations and the spread all the way across Alaska and into Canada.

From the Siberian Times - https://siberiantimes.com/other/othe...rctic-siberia/

report: " that morning was cooler than usual. "

meaning it could be that a cold front as described in the haboob formation was present which was sucking up the dust/particles/soot/ash from the fires.

This is what a sand "Dust" storm looks like in Western Siberia (source Siberian Times):

Do wildfires create their own weather - most definitely - (sorry it is from an article dated June 21, 2017 but the DATA is quite correct).

Could the fires in Siberia be creating their own weather? Most likely - see from this report in New Mexico USA what happens in a massive wildfire:

How a wildfire kicked up a 45,000-foot column of flames

Quote This one (IN NEW MEXICO) was racing downslope, at night, directly at Winkel. Worried, he scrambled uphill for a better view. Near the top, a hot wind struck his chest, and he watched to the northwest as the blaze’s front rolled like barrels in 35-foot-high flames.

He had never seen this effect before—few people have. Winkel was witnessing a blowup, an intense and sudden force, second in power to a nuclear explosion, able to boil stream water, melt dirt, and crack boulders.

This one would spawn a horrific 45,000-foot furnace of smoke and soot, spin up 400-foot-high fire tornadoes, generate powerful updrafting and downdrafting winds, create lightning high in the plume...
    Extreme wildfires, in turn, create their own weather. As intense heat lofts smoke into the air, it forges a convective column that generates powerful updrafts. It carries fuel-rich hydrocarbons, a ­byproduct of burning vegetation, that can ignite like gasoline ­vapor.

The heat also propels moisture that condenses into ­pyrocumulus clouds.

These anvil-shaped thunderheads perch atop smoke columns and spawn extreme turbulence, downdrafting winds, and even hail that, rather than cooling flames, stokes them by churning out even more erratic winds.
    Do I believe the fires and their weather were sucking up dust, soot, particles - absolutely. As I said the effect reminded me of a haboob - the mideast ones' I have experienced personally as well as the massive haboob dust-storms of Arizona.
    Last edited by Bob; 25th July 2018 at 21:05.

32. Link to Post #398
    Thanks

Montreal, Québec,

It has been over 30C often hitting the 40's since june 15th. Had maybe 4-5 days of rain and lowest was close to 25C for 2-3 days since then.

Never seen these temps so hot for so long. I have been living in the area 80km square round MTL all my life and I'm 43.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptnNemo For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (29th July 2018), Bill Ryan (26th July 2018), Bob (26th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (26th July 2018), Noelle (29th July 2018), RunningDeer (26th July 2018), Wind (26th July 2018)

34. Link to Post #399
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,760 times in 8,858 posts

Quote Posted by CaptnNemo (here)
    Montreal, Québec,

It has been over 30C often hitting the 40's since june 15th. Had maybe 4-5 days of rain and lowest was close to 25C for 2-3 days since then.

Never seen these temps so hot for so long. I have been living in the area 80km square round MTL all my life and I'm 43.
    Allo mon ami, j'espère que tu vas bien.

What Capt'nNemo says is entirely true. i have more years here and I have never seen that. Us Canadians from way back (almost 500 years of French ancestry here in my case + the Natives blood) are used to cooler weather. It really take a toll on our moral, patience, etc.

We also had one of the harshest winter ever last winter.

----------------

For Siberia, there are extremely vast lake of methane frozen in the permafrost there. If the weather gets too hot, this methane is released and is highly flammable.

If that happens, we are in for a very hot planet, methane being also worst than CO2 for greenhouse effect.

I wonder how the planet will defend itself.
    Last edited by Flash; 26th July 2018 at 18:15.

35. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (29th July 2018), Bill Ryan (26th July 2018), Bob (26th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (26th July 2018), Noelle (29th July 2018), RunningDeer (27th July 2018), Tintin (27th July 2018), Wind (26th July 2018)

36. Link to Post #400
    Thanks
    Thanked 273,951 times in 20,271 posts

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 29th July 2018 at 18:36.

37. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (29th July 2018), Bob (29th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (29th July 2018), Jayke (30th July 2018), Noelle (29th July 2018), Paul (29th July 2018), Reinhard (30th July 2018), RunningDeer (29th July 2018), Sophocles (29th July 2018), Valerie Villars (29th July 2018), Wind (29th July 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst 1 10 20 30 LastLast