+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Too Many Posts Being Moved!

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,807 times in 613 posts

Default Too Many Posts Being Moved!

You know what, Mods, I'm not really thrilled with the insanely-quick removals of posts from the General Discussion forum out into the various topic-specific forums.

I like to come to the General Discussion forum because it's a centralized location in which I can find a wide variety of topics of discussion located in ONE FORUM.

I'd have to surf through 30 OR MORE SEPARATE forums to match the variety of topics that are discussed here.

Maybe you could allow a 24-hour window for a post to remain in the General Discussion forum, then move the posts to their respective topic-specific sub-forums?

AND CAN YOU PLEASE LEAVE THIS THREAD IN THE GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM FOR 24 HOURS, so that people can discuss this?

Am I alone in thinking this way, or are there others who think this way also?

What's your thoughts on this?

Is this something that does not need to be an issue?

Am I being anal?

Let us know, please.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mozart For This Post:

astridmari (20th August 2016), bogeyman (19th August 2016), Chester (19th August 2016), ExomatrixTV (19th August 2016), mgray (19th August 2016), Michelle Marie (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016), Spellbound (19th August 2016), Tangri (20th August 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,206 times in 5,691 posts

Default Re: Too Many Posts Being Moved!

Quote Posted by Mozart (here)
    You know what, Mods, I'm not really thrilled with the insanely-quick removals of posts from the General Discussion forum out into the various topic-specific forums.

I like to come to the General Discussion forum because it's a centralized location in which I can find a wide variety of topics of discussion located in ONE FORUM.

I'd have to surf through 30 OR MORE SEPARATE forums to match the variety of topics that are discussed here.

Maybe you could allow a 24-hour window for a post to remain in the General Discussion forum, then move the posts to their respective topic-specific sub-forums?

AND CAN YOU PLEASE LEAVE THIS THREAD IN THE GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM FOR 24 HOURS, so that people can discuss this?

Am I alone in thinking this way, or are there others who think this way also?

What's your thoughts on this?

Is this something that does not need to be an issue?

Am I being anal?

Let us know, please.
    I used to be bugged by this until I got used to looking under the New Posts link above the New Threads link.

It didn't take long... and now I like it this way.

WoW! In fact, that is why I found this post.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

astridmari (20th August 2016), avid (19th August 2016), Billy (19th August 2016), ExomatrixTV (19th August 2016), Fanna (19th August 2016), justntime2learn (19th August 2016), littleOne (19th August 2016), Michelle Marie (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016), Shannon (20th August 2016), Sierra (19th August 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,034 times in 1,088 posts

Huh, I've never noticed. I come in at od times and don't have time usually to go threw pages so I haven't noticed. I wonder if or what the policy is hear, perhaps it's an automated feature of the site, or maybe it's done by hand? Either way it would be usefull to know what the deal is. Unless perhaps its something about you and your gear? Interesting observation non the less... I'll bet Paul has a word or two about this aspect of the forum. Thanks for sharing your experience...x... N

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

Michelle Marie (19th August 2016), Shannon (20th August 2016), Sierra (19th August 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,740 times in 21,544 posts

There is something I am failing to understand ... perhaps you (or another reader) can assist.

When we move threads out of the General Discussion sub-forum into other more specific sub-forum's, we leave behind a link so that it's easy to find the thread either way, as listed in the General Discussion sub-forum (using the link), or in its own specific topic sub-forum.

Apparently there is something that doing this does not provide ... something that can only be provided by leaving the thread just in the General Discussion sub-forum.

What is this? How is it that leaving the thread just in the General Discussion sub-forum is useful, in a way that moving it, and leaving a link behind, is not so useful?

In other words, we've been doing the moving to enhance the user experience, by providing multiple ways, in both the General Discussion sub-forum, and in some more specific topic sub-forum, to access many of the threads. We didn't (still don't, yet) understand why this is not an improvement, with little or no downside.

To be clear, here's a screen shot showing what I mean by these links that are left behind. This is a screen shot of part of the General Discussion sub-forum, showing where several threads were moved, with links left behind (indicated by the icon with the yellow arrow and yellow stripe):

My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

alh02 (19th August 2016), Atlas (20th August 2016), Billy (19th August 2016), Chester (19th August 2016), ExomatrixTV (28th October 2023), Foxie Loxie (19th August 2016), Hervé (19th August 2016), Inversion (19th August 2016), justntime2learn (19th August 2016), Marianne (19th August 2016), Michelle Marie (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016), Shannon (20th August 2016), Sierra (19th August 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,034 times in 1,088 posts

Thanks Paul.. N

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

Atlas (20th August 2016), Shannon (20th August 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Mozart, I think the New Threads button (top right corner) would be a good choice for you because it lists all new threads no matter what forum they are in. If you want a list containing not only the new threads but all posts then New Posts button is the best, which is what I like to use.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to littleOne For This Post:

Atlas (20th August 2016), Chester (19th August 2016), fourty-two (19th August 2016), Foxie Loxie (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016), Shannon (20th August 2016)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,908 times in 1,388 posts

Tracking down some of the threads is sometimes difficult since you do not know somethings how they are categorised.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bogeyman For This Post:

Nasu (19th August 2016)

15. Link to Post #8
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,902 times in 15,481 posts

Cough... cough... if at all possible... why not post directly in a subforum that's relevant to the subject intended for the new thread... and that thread will remain for a while in that "Home" "Latest Threads" list and not be disappeared with a "Moved" to appropriate subforum.

If that doesn't do the trick, instead of scrolling through 30 subforum pages, one can click on "Advance Search" (upper right corner of the Avalon page) and type one's user name in the bottom-left box and then chose "Find threads started by user" on the menu that's to the right hand side of that "User Name" box; then click the "Search Now" button.
    Last edited by Hervé; 19th August 2016 at 12:47.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

alh02 (19th August 2016), Carmody (20th August 2016), Foxie Loxie (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016), Shannon (20th August 2016)

17. Link to Post #9
    Argentina Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,523 times in 661 posts

I just go to My Profile and look there at Find started threads and find all posts. That works best for me for the threads I commented on/or started.

18. Link to Post #10
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,902 times in 15,481 posts

^^^ the same can be accessed when clicking on a user name beside a post (along with "Profile" and "Private Messaging") as well as directly clicking on the number of posts posted (e.g. Posts: 10,865)
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Nasu (20th August 2016), Shannon (20th August 2016)

20. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

I actually am thrilled the mods do this ...

If you click the "new posts" view like most people - or "new threads", it is visible to everyone equally based on views and responses and stays in this thread based on that regardless of what sub-forum is in.

You know what I really hate is all the good threads in the "GD" section that should have been moved into a topic specific thread, and now when you go looking into those areas, these good threads of the same topic are not there -- lost forever in the mile deep ocean of "GD" threads instead of complimenting a topic specific section. The ones that are moved tend to stay near the top of their respected sub forums (due to the fact that out of all the posts / threads, far fewer will be added to in the specific sub-topic) and so that they are more visible to others actually looking in that section for that type of info.

It's not a popularity contest.

Good job mods, keep it up.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 19th August 2016 at 23:10.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Atlas (20th August 2016), avid (20th August 2016), Carmody (20th August 2016), ExomatrixTV (28th October 2023), Hervé (19th August 2016), Marianne (20th August 2016), Nasu (20th August 2016), Shannon (20th August 2016), Sophocles (20th August 2016)

22. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,723 times in 32,945 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)

I actually am thrilled the mods do this ...
    Well, that's good to know!

I raise my hand here: I do quite a lot of the thread-moving myself. For reasons I don't fully understand (it may well be something to do with the specific way a few members interact with the forum's menu structure), fairly frequently a new thread is posted in General Discussion when clearly its natural home would seem to be in another section. That's why we have other sections. (Many of them, in fact.)

An analogy is creating new files on your computer and having them all piled up on your Desktop, unsorted. That may well work for some people who can easily remember where they've saved things, but the real problems start when the folder structure (because this is what it is -- a folder structure) is shared with several thousand others. It's all about making things easily findable, searchable, correlatable, and so on. Only very rarely should a thread end up with its natural home in 'General Discussion' (a catch-all which really means very little, if you think about it)... only a few per cent, I'd guess.

So, PLEASE, PLEASE, when anyone starts a new thread, find the section where it best belongs first -- use this page (the 'FORUM' tab) to do this, because the entire 'folder structure' is there -- and then start the new thread in the best possible place.

Then, we'd never have to move anything at all.

PS: this thread DEFINITELY doesn't belong in 'General Discussion'. Its natural home is Forum Technical Q&A.

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 20th August 2016 at 00:29.

23. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Atlas (20th August 2016), avid (20th August 2016), BMJ (20th August 2016), Carmody (20th August 2016), DeDukshyn (20th August 2016), ExomatrixTV (28th October 2023), Hervé (20th August 2016), Marianne (20th August 2016), Nasu (20th August 2016), Shannon (20th August 2016), Sophocles (20th August 2016), Star Tsar (20th August 2016), sunwings (20th August 2016)

+ Reply to Thread