+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Southern Cross by Crosby, Still, and Nash - Does it have a deeper meaning?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Truthster013's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Southern Cross by Crosby, Still, and Nash - Does it have a deeper meaning?

I love this old song and always felt it had a deeper meaning. I decided to do some quick research/thinking and came up with some points of interest to talk about:

Historically the "Southern Cross" is a constellation known as the Crux Constellation (view-able from the southern hemisphere). The four brightest stars form a cross. Sailors used the cross to help navigate their boats on the seas. The flags of Australia and New Zeland contain versions of the southern cross constellation.

Stephen Stills wrote the song with Richard Curtis and Michael Curtis. The Curtis brothers had bought the song called "Seven League Boots" from another artist which contains the basic melody in the song but Stills and Curtis re-wrote the song, changing the lyrics and adding a new chorus.

"Seven League Boots" is allegedly a common magical artifact mentioned in many European folk tales. Wikipedia has a nice article with all kinds of pop culture references to "Seven League Boots". It is a pair of boots allowing the wearer to take strides that are 7 leagues long (21 miles long or 33.8 kelometers). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-league_boots

The song mentions a bar by the name of Avalon. And has some strange lyrics that read:

"But on a midnight watch I realized why twice you ran away...

Think about
    Think about how many times I have fallen
    Spirits are using me larger voices callin'
    What Heaven brought you and me cannot be forgotten"

According to Stephen Stills the song was written about a boat ride he took after a divorce and is about "Using the universe to heal your wounds".

The album cover for "Daylight Again" which features the song has a domed structure on a rocky hilltop flanked by three glowing blue flying saucers.

Rick Curtis' professional music career begins in the Goshen, Indiana psych-folk band These Vizitors

I wonder if the song had some kind of spiritual/occult type meaning for the artists. Anyone else know anything that might add to this?

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Truthster013 For This Post:

Inversion (26th August 2016), joeecho (25th August 2016), Marianne (27th August 2016), Mercedes (25th August 2016), NancyV (26th August 2016), norski (27th August 2016), william r sanford72 (26th August 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

Default Re: Southern Cross by Crosby, Still, and Nash - Does it have a deeper meaning?

Artist will slip in 'Easter eggs', as I like to call them, into their work to be discovered later.

A couple reasons off the top of my head:

1) To slip it past the censors of the particular time period it was released.
    2) For people to 'hear' when their ears are ready to hear it.

One of my favorite discoveries is when I discover something written in a song I have heard 100s of times. It really enriches the listening experience later.

As for this particular song. I have not meditated on the lyrics to give you a further opinion but it has long been a song that pulled at my spiritual 'side' every time I hear it.

Hope you don't mind but I thought I'd post the original video and lyrics for anyone to easily reference.

Got out of town on a boat
    Goin' to Southern islands.
    Sailing a reach
    Before a followin' sea.
    She was makin' for the trades
    On the outside,
    And the downhill run
    To Papeete.
    Off the wind on this heading
    Lie the Marquesas.
    We got eighty feet of the waterline.
    Nicely making way.
    In a noisy bar in Avalon
    I tried to call you.
    But on a midnight watch I realized
    Why twice you ran away.
    Chorus
    Think about how many times
    I have fallen
    Spirits are using me
    larger voices callin'.
    What heaven brought you and me
    Cannot be forgotten.
    I have been around the world,
    Lookin' for that woman/girl,
    Who knows love can endure.
    And you know it will.
    And you know it will.
    When you see the Southern Cross
    For the first time
    You understand now
    Why you came this way
    'Cause the truth you might be runnin' from
    Is so small.
    But it's as big as the promise
    The promise of a comin' day.
    So I'm sailing for tomorrow
    My dreams are a dyin'.
    And my love is an anchor tied to you
    Tied with a silver chain.
    I have my ship
    And all her flags are a flyin'
    She is all that I have left
    And music is her name.
    Chorus
    Think about how many times
    I have fallen
    Spirits are using me
    larger voices callin'.
    What heaven brought you and me
    Cannot be forgotten.
    I have been around the world,
    Lookin' for that woman/girl,
    Who knows love can endure.
    And you know it will.
    And you know it will.
    So we cheated and we lied
    And we tested
    And we never failed to fail
    It was the easiest thing to do.
    You will survive being bested.
    Somebody fine
    Will come along
    Make me forget about loving you.
    At the Southern Cross.
    .................................................. ..........................

(Crux is a constellation located in the southern sky in a bright portion of the Milky Way)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,319 times in 10,234 posts

Default Re: Southern Cross by Crosby, Still, and Nash - Does it have a deeper meaning?

This is a better sounding vid of the song.

I usually play it along with

Interdimensional Civil Servant

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Marianne (27th August 2016), raff (26th August 2016), william r sanford72 (26th August 2016)

6. Link to Post #4
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Thanks

Well after hearing a particular song (bohemian rhapsody by Queen) over many years and not really thinking much of it or even liking it that much (just another song that doesn't on the surface mean much) but this year upon hearing this song on a background music to a clip it hit me quite strongly you might say that the song was written by Lucifer. I'm not christian or an admirer of the old bar steward and my mind was at the time occupied by other things but his image popped into my mind when the song came on. After remembering the lyrics and recalling that he was an angel of the celestial choir his influence in hollywood and the music industry is well known.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raff For This Post:

Lifebringer (26th August 2016), norski (27th August 2016), william r sanford72 (26th August 2016)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,813 times in 1,688 posts

There's a Black Sabbath song called The Sign of the Southern Cross that seems to mirror parts of the book of Revelations. The title could imply an incoming planet or dwarf star.

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/47809/

9. Link to Post #6
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Thanks

From what I've been told the Norse god Odin resides in the southern cross star constellation (and angelic entities of a certain persuasion also) as well as the north star resides another key Norse divinity (Saturnalia celebration is a romanised version of this august personages influence here on earth)

Anything angelic pertains to an element of our soul journey to earth and all the karma that that entails. The rest you would have to fill in the gaps of the why's and where to for of that.
    Last edited by raff; 26th August 2016 at 20:47.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raff For This Post:

Inversion (26th August 2016), norski (27th August 2016)

+ Reply to Thread