+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Facebook Just Got a Whole Lot Creepier

1. Link to Post #1
    Argentina Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,523 times in 661 posts

Default Facebook Just Got a Whole Lot Creepier

I’ve been creeped out by Facebook for a long time now. The following story takes it to another level.

From Fusion:

While some of these incredibly accurate friend suggestions are amusing, others are alarming, such as this story from Lisa*, a psychiatrist who is an infrequent Facebook user, mostly signing in to RSVP for events. Last summer, she noticed that the social network had started recommending her patients as friends—and she had no idea why.

“I haven’t shared my email or phone contacts with Facebook,” she told me over the phone.

The next week, things got weirder.

Most of her patients are senior citizens or people with serious health or developmental issues, but she has one outlier: a 30-something snowboarder. Usually, Facebook would recommend he friend people his own age, who snowboard and jump out of planes. But Lisa told me that he had started seeing older and infirm people, such as a 70-year-old gentleman with a walker and someone with cerebral palsy.

“He laughed and said, ‘I don’t know any of these people who showed up on my list— I’m guessing they see you,’” recounted Lisa. “He showed me the list of friend recommendations, and I recognized some of my patients.”

She sat there awkwardly and silently. To let him know that his suspicion was correct would violate her duty to protect her patients’ privacy.

Another one of her female patients had a friend recommendation pop up for a fellow patient she recognized from the office’s elevator. Suddenly, she knew the other patient’s full name along with all their Facebook profile information.

“It’s a massive privacy fail,” said Lisa. “I have patients with HIV, people that have attempted suicide and women in coercive and violent relationships.”

Lisa lives in a relatively small town and was alarmed that Facebook was inadvertently outing people with health and psychiatric issues to her network. She’s a tech-savvy person, familiar with VPNs, Tor and computer security practices recommended by the Electronic Frontier Foundation–but she had no idea what was causing it.

She hadn’t friended any of her patients on Facebook, nor looked up their profiles. She didn’t have a guest wifi network at the office that they were all using. After seeing my report that Facebook was using location from people’s smartphones to make friend recommendations, she was convinced this happened because she had logged into Facebook at the office on her personal computer. She thought that Facebook had figured out that she and her patients were all in the same place repeatedly. However, Facebook says it only briefly used location for friend recommendations in a test and that it was just “at the city-level.”

When Lisa looked at her Facebook profile, she was surprised to see that she had, at some point, given Facebook her cell phone number. It’s a number that her patients could also have in their phones. Many people don’t realize that if they give Facebook access to their phone contacts, it uses that information to make friend recommendations; so if your ex-boss or your one-time Tinder date or your psychiatrist is a contact in your phone, you might start seeing them pop up in the “People You May Know” list.

That’s my guess as to how this happened.

The above tale presents a good opportunity to revisit a post highlighted last year by Salim Varani titled, A Very Disturbing and Powerful Post – “Get Your Loved Ones Off Facebook.” In it, he warned:

“Oh yeah, I’ve been meaning to ask you why you’re getting off Facebook,” is the guilty and reluctant question I’m hearing a lot these days. Like we kinda know Facebook is bad, but don’t really want to know.

I’ve been a big Facebook supporter – one of the first users in my social group who championed what a great way it was to stay in touch, way back in 2006. I got my mum and brothers on it, and around 20 other people. I’ve even taught Facebook marketing in one of the UK’s biggest tech education projects, Digital Business Academy. I’m a techie and a marketer — so I can see the implications — and until now, they hadn’t worried me. I’ve been pretty dismissive towards people who hesitate with privacy concerns.

With this latest privacy change on January 30th, I’m scared.

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,707 times in 3,534 posts

Default Re: Facebook Just Got a Whole Lot Creepier

See you have to follow the thought completely through as much as possible and covering both pros and cons of choice, decisions or speech. I don't even give Yahoo my tele number. If you want you number private, don't loan it, and tell the people who do use it you will make the call or they can use sites like google and fb and sync your private life, public.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (31st August 2016), Ines (1st September 2016), Johnny (28th September 2016), KiwiElf (31st August 2016), marique3652 (31st August 2016)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,768 times in 929 posts

If you are a techie and marketer you will know that facebook uses algorithms to make informed connections with social data - if you don't want to, you do not have to surrender private information-my own account has zero information about my occupation, phone number or relationships - and I can operate a personal account without too much bother. This is simply people mismanaging their accounts and then getting surprised when the data they give is used - it is Social Media, like it is designed to perform social functions-no big surprises there!

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

Eram (31st August 2016), Foxie Loxie (31st August 2016), Ines (1st September 2016), Johnny (28th September 2016), kirolak (31st August 2016), KiwiElf (31st August 2016)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 270,071 times in 19,945 posts

I had a similar experience, a while back. I canceled the notifications.

I was always being asked if I know X, Y, or Z... 'friend' suggestions. One person I know for a fact I have no Facebook common 'friends' with (they have none at all on their page, which is dormant).... but I communicate with them regularly on their Yahoo e-mail.

It seems pretty slam-dunk clear that Facebook, Yahoo and Gmail all exchange members' personal info.

7. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Althena (31st August 2016), avid (31st August 2016), bluestflame (29th September 2016), Darla Ken Pearce (31st August 2016), gaiagirl (31st August 2016), Ines (1st September 2016), Johnny (28th September 2016), kirolak (31st August 2016), KiwiElf (31st August 2016), marique3652 (31st August 2016), muxfolder (31st August 2016), Ron Mauer Sr (1st September 2016), Shannon (31st August 2016), Sierra (31st August 2016)

8. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,998 times in 1,365 posts

I think Bill is right, and since Gmail was mentioned I'll share my experience with Gmail/Facebook as well.

I was having a Gmail discussion, and the email was of a very personal nature. I did not browse websites at this point in time, my internet usage was limited to Facebook and Gmail.

Following the Gmail discussion I went on over to Facebook, and many of the ads were for Legal Advice - "Need A Lawyer? Click here"

It seems to me that somehow Facebook gleaned from my email, without my even using the word "lawyer" that I probably need a lawyer, which I did. Creepy.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Althena (31st August 2016), Bill Ryan (31st August 2016), gaiagirl (31st August 2016), Ines (1st September 2016), Johnny (28th September 2016), kirolak (31st August 2016), marique3652 (31st August 2016), Michelle Marie (19th April 2018), Shannon (31st August 2016)

10. Link to Post #6
    Argentina Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,523 times in 661 posts

Yet another reason not to have Psychoberg's spyware/virus in my gadgets. Thnx but no thnx.

11. Link to Post #7
    Leaving between 2 cultures. Border Mexico-USA.
    Thanks

Cool Re: Facebook Just Got a Whole Lot Creepier

Quote Posted by GalaxyHorse (here)
    If you are a techie and marketer you will know that facebook uses algorithms to make informed connections with social data - if you don't want to, you do not have to surrender private information-my own account has zero information about my occupation, phone number or relationships - and I can operate a personal account without too much bother. This is simply people mismanaging their accounts and then getting surprised when the data they give is used - it is Social Media, like it is designed to perform social functions-no big surprises there!
    First of all, professionals of those delicate matters as Psychiatry, don´t have any business putting that info in Facebook and allowing to have some interaction there with "patients". Facebook is for SOCIAL encounters and you get to do the "configuration" convenient for your "personal interest."

Having said that, using "Social Networks" for professional or marketing is just plain naive, ignorant or uninformed, to me.

Having said that, there is no such thing as "privacy" in Internet. If many of us agree that we are living in a Matrix... where is the "private" part of it ? Privacy is a "delusion", and we should go by our daily business "as a matter of factly", knowing what we are doing, and where we are doing it; this is part of being "conscious and awake."
    Last edited by Ines; 1st September 2016 at 17:37.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ines For This Post:

Johnny (28th September 2016)

13. Link to Post #8
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks

Check out Invisocial.net that I have developed for those who want to opt out of Facebook. However, there is no community or enough users there as in Facebook and you will need to invite people over.

Free to Sign up and if you are not sure about using an unknown service, you can install your own version of Invisocial on your website on which you will have complete control over the data.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gurudatt For This Post:

Ines (28th September 2016), Johnny (28th September 2016), mojo (28th September 2016)

15. Link to Post #9
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,316 times in 1,546 posts

and ads that come up that are reflective of things discussed in PRIVATE MESSAGING in facebook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

Althena (30th September 2016)

+ Reply to Thread