+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The manufacture of essentially all gun ammunition (the nitrocellulose in it) banned in the US

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,850 times in 21,553 posts

Default The manufacture of essentially all gun ammunition (the nitrocellulose in it) banned in the US

Nitrocellulose is used to make smokeless gun powder, which is used in almost all manufactured gun ammunition in the United States.

The US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) just reclassified nitrocellulose as a high explosive. This imposes stringent regulations on how nitrocellulose is stored and transported in the US.

This essentially shuts down the manufacture of ammunition in the US, the way it has been done for decades. (Well, qualification -- I trust that ammo for the military and police and other Federal agencies will somehow continue to be available.)

I'd expect rapid shortages of ammunition and rapidly rising prices.

See further: Breaking News: Obama ATF Announces Backdoor Ammo Ban! (Conservative-Daily.com) and ATF Reclassifies Nitrocellulose Without Shooting/Hunting Industry Input (OutDoorHub.com).
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 1st September 2016 at 00:13.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Atlas (1st September 2016), Bill Ryan (1st September 2016), Bob (1st September 2016), DeDukshyn (1st September 2016), DNA (1st September 2016), Eram (1st September 2016), Ewan (1st September 2016), guayabal (1st September 2016), joeecho (1st September 2016), Latti (1st September 2016), LivioRazlo (1st September 2016), Pam (1st September 2016), shaberon (1st September 2016), Shannon (1st September 2016), StandingWave (1st September 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: The manufacture of essentially all gun ammunition (the nitrocellulose in it) banned in the US

Interesting ... considering the alt headlines about all the seemingly inflated government purchases of ammo in the last 6 years or so ... I imagine that is where you were trying to go?
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. Link to Post #3
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

Default Re: The manufacture of essentially all gun ammunition (the nitrocellulose in it) banned in the US

but didn't the us govt preemptively buy up millions of rounds of hollow point ammo earlier in the piece ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

DeDukshyn (1st September 2016)

6. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by bluestflame (here)
    but didn't the us govt preemptively buy up millions of rounds of hollow point ammo earlier in the piece ?
    Part of what makes it interesting ...
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

bluestflame (1st September 2016)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Moderator (on Sabbatical) Shannon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 times in 1,211 posts

No bullets...kinda makes guns useless ...

This isnt right.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shannon For This Post:

bluestflame (1st September 2016), DeDukshyn (1st September 2016), LivioRazlo (1st September 2016)

10. Link to Post #6
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

time for a new addition to the recipe book

salt pitre , woodchips ...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

DeDukshyn (1st September 2016)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,819 times in 790 posts

I remember after the Orlando shooting there was talk about Obama and the ATF banning all gun shows as of 11/4/2016. Does anyone know if that is still going to happen?

-jean-marie

13. Link to Post #8
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,850 times in 21,553 posts

Quote Posted by Jean-Marie (here)
    I remember after the Orlando shooting there was talk about Obama and the ATF banning all gun shows as of 11/4/2016. Does anyone know if that is still going to happen?

-jean-marie
    My guess is "yes" ... the gun banning talk will continue to happen .

This seems to be one of their common M.O.'s (methods of operation): loudly and repeatedly threaten you with armageddon (gun bans in this case), and then quietly stick a stiletto in your ribs (stop ammo manufacture).
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

bluestflame (1st September 2016), Shannon (1st September 2016)

15. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,180 times in 4,072 posts

Hmm.

From end of 2nd article:

It’s worth noting that nothing major is likely to be affected by this policy change, since no major manufacturer has been contacted or notified of any such information. In addition, the ATF has granted waivers to ammunition manufactures in the past.

If anything, it's a storage/transport issue for wetted nitrocellulose, not quite a ban on ammunition. Every year there are a dozen or so ammunition bans before Congress and none of them go through. This seems a little more like a general safety concern, i. e., if you drive into a chemical truck, will it explode? If by this decree, the ingredient has to be sealed/processed a little more, it might lead to a small price increase.

Wouldn't seem to affect my ability to get 10,000 bullets out of Romania.

Also, if a gun/ammo ban is a concern, the reliable standby is a .44 or .50 black powder revolver: cash purchase/untraceable, six shots, and no nitrocellulose.

Keep in mind the vast number of ex-military folks who will never approve much about gun restrictions, and this bloc actually is important to a cadre of politicians, probably vastly more important than any non-serving civilians.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Eram (1st September 2016), Ewan (1st September 2016), guayabal (1st September 2016), pyrangello (1st September 2016)

17. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,010 times in 2,112 posts

I remember seeing a story in the news when this president took office almost 8 years ago, The amount of ammo sold in his very first month in office in the US was 1 billion rounds sold to american citizens. I can only imagine how much ammo is stored here in the US over the last 100 years by my fellow Americans , probably would make you head spin.

18. Link to Post #11
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Couldn't resist ...

Am sure we won't run out.

Gimme Back My Bullets

Lynyrd Skynyrd

+ Reply to Thread