Thanked 5,123 times in 1,385 posts

Default Re: ♫ Thread for the Trance/Techno/etc umbrella of music ♫

Quote Posted by lucidity (here)
    Siblings...

You'll thank me for this....

For something really ambient and dreamy... and beautiful:

Orbital - Halcyon On and On (1992)

be happy :-)
    Wicked track. Really takes me back - halcyon days indeed. You were right - thank you for sharing it!

Basically an Orbital bootleg of The Opus III track:

Funny that you bring up Orbital. I played guitar for Phil (and Nick) on the following track. You can just about make it out in the intro if you listen carefully lol:

Last edited by Akasha; 11th September 2016 at 22:37.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Citizen No2 (12th September 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016), Fanna (12th September 2016), lucidity (12th September 2016), uzn (19th September 2016)

3. Link to Post #22
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,297 times in 575 posts

Akasha,

Agreed, Oakey took the credit for bringing the Goa sound back to the UK, but was far from an originator. Not a bad move. I remember his Goa Trance mix on Tong's Essential Mix on a December night in 1994.........

I've pretty much every tune you've posted on vinyl......... Awesome. I could weep.

The 90's. The last AUTHENTIC music-movement. I've made a lengthy post on here, somewhere, about Castle Morton and the move to bring the big parties inside and control them. I gotta tell you, and you'll know this, dj'ing to those crowds, with that energy, is the closest I've ever come to a 'spiritual' experience.

An often overlooked man, who we have a lot to thank for, is Charlie May (one half of Spooky and many others), the man that was behind Sasha's sound. He's still putting out some excellent stuff, well worth checking.

Great post's on this thread. Orbital, Platipus Records, Jam & Spoon (RIP Mark Spoon), .......... Martin Freeland, WoW.

Like Lucidity says, be happy : - ),............. How could we not!

Sven Vath: Vernon's Wonderland

Regards.
    Last edited by Citizen No2; 12th September 2016 at 15:34. Reason: spelling

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Citizen No2 For This Post:

Akasha (12th September 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016), Fanna (12th September 2016)

5. Link to Post #23
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Akasha wrote about the 'Age of Love':

Quote You can't exactly in all conscience leave this one out of a trance thread either (even though it's been rinsed to hell and back):
    Here's Unity 3's Age of Love Suite............. Belter! Used to go off like a raw prawn!!

Regards

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Citizen No2 For This Post:

Akasha (12th September 2016), Alpha141 (1st October 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016), Fanna (12th September 2016), lucidity (14th September 2016)

7. Link to Post #24
    Morocco Avalon Member
    Thanks

Anyone into deep soulful house music? Or is this just a trance/techno thread?
    ISness is my business..

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basho For This Post:

DeDukshyn (13th September 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member Fanna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 times in 329 posts

Quote Posted by Basho (here)
    Keep up the love train, Basho. Your name means "feeling" in another language. Anything you feel is sure to be perfect for this forum.
    ♪ ~Blessed are the Cracked~ ♪
    ♪ ~For they let in the Light~ ♪

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fanna For This Post:

ElfeMya (17th September 2016)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Citizen No2 (here)
    Akasha,

Agreed, Oakey took the credit for bringing the Goa sound back to the UK, but was far from an originator. Not a bad move. I remember his Goa Trance mix on Tong's Essential Mix on a December night in 1994.........

I've pretty much every tune you've posted on vinyl......... Awesome. I could weep.

The 90's. The last AUTHENTIC music-movement. I've made a lengthy post on here, somewhere, about Castle Morton and the move to bring the big parties inside and control them. I gotta tell you, and you'll know this, dj'ing to those crowds, with that energy, is the closest I've ever come to a 'spiritual' experience.

An often overlooked man, who we have a lot to thank for, is Charlie May (one half of Spooky and many others), the man that was behind Sasha's sound.....
    We’re definitely on the same page - no doubt about it. Your comment about “dj’iing to those crowds with that energy….” I couldn’t agree more.
    I’d say it was a spiritual experience. At points in the sets, it was as if my ego was fully dissolved (a monumental achievement lol) into the collective’s energy which had in turn taken control of my body, resulting in mixes, many of which were for the most part unrehearsed, sounding “heaven sent” and who knows, maybe they were. Granted I had a grip on djing to be able to switch off from the nuts and bolts aspect of it, but this was something else. A very profound and highly physical as well as (what I would describe as) a spiritual experience which brought me to the brink of tears on many occasion. That’s my idea of channelling - f''' all this Galactic Federation of Light B.S.
    Drug-addled psycho-babble from one old dj to another? Whatever. Just sharing my experiences.

Re Charlie May, I loved Spooky well before getting Goa-ized in ’94 when an old friend took me to “Return to the Source” at the Fridge in Brixton.

Funny you mention Castle Morton (I must find your post) ‘cos a very close friend was running the Spiral Tribe rig when all that went down (a couple of years before my time to be honest).
    You wouldn’t know him by any chance would you? He went on to be half of Universal Sound, a third of Cydonia and half of Semsis.

the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Citizen No2 (12th September 2016), DeDukshyn (13th September 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016), Fanna (12th September 2016), fractal (24th December 2016)

13. Link to Post #27
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

@ Akasha.

I agree. I likened it (non-conciously dj'ing) to being a conduit. Some of my best sets and mixes were on the fly and unrehearsed........... When they happened I'd be buggered if I could remember the what and where of the mixing. Great days.

I don't think I met who you've mentioned, although I did know Digs and Whoosh and had them come to the club where I was resident. I loved the DiY crew and they were pretty tight with the Spiral guys.

I played this out on Sunday:

Regards.
    Last edited by Citizen No2; 12th September 2016 at 20:21.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Citizen No2 For This Post:

Akasha (12th September 2016), Alpha141 (1st October 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016), lucidity (14th September 2016)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Quote Posted by citizen no2 (here)
    akasha wrote about the 'age of love':

Quote you can't exactly in all conscience leave this one out of a trance thread either (even though it's been rinsed to hell and back):
    here's unity 3's age of love suite............. Belter! Used to go off like a raw prawn!!

regards
    tuuuuuuune!!!!!!!!!!!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Alpha141 (1st October 2016), Citizen No2 (12th September 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016), Fanna (12th September 2016)

17. Link to Post #29
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,438 times in 8,540 posts

Fluke, Absurd ...

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Basho (here)
    I posted some midtempo glitch and no one complained at least, lol
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Citizen No2 (13th September 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016), lucidity (14th September 2016)

19. Link to Post #30
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

@ DeDukshyn:

FLUKE!

What a set up, one of my favourites. Good shout pal.

Groovy Feeling

Slid

Hey, maybe we should put on an early 90's prog-house night for us old ravers!

Regards.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Citizen No2 For This Post:

DeDukshyn (13th September 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016), Fanna (13th September 2016), lucidity (14th September 2016), uzn (19th September 2016)

21. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

My favorite Morphem tracks, old:

.....and slightly newer:

......and not forgetting Simon Posford........another true audio wizard:

again, old:

.....and not quite so old (1998), with Twisted label mate Sean Williams:

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Citizen No2 (14th September 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016), Fanna (13th September 2016), lucidity (14th September 2016), uzn (19th September 2016)

23. Link to Post #32
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,438 times in 8,540 posts

Underworld, "Cherry Pie"

Underworld again, "Carp dreams ... Koi" mix of Pearl's Girls

Last edited by DeDukshyn; 14th September 2016 at 03:54.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Baby Steps (16th March 2019), Citizen No2 (14th September 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016), Fanna (13th September 2016), lucidity (14th September 2016), uzn (19th September 2016)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,777 times in 956 posts

Akasha wrote about the 'Age of Love':

Quote You can't exactly in all conscience leave this one out of a trance thread either (even though it's been rinsed to hell and back):
    Here's Unity 3's Age of Love Suite............. Belter! Used to go off like a raw prawn!!

Regards
    Excellent!
    For some reason, that one reminds me strongly of TC1991 - Berry.
    For your listening pleasure:

And TC1992 - Funky Guitar -- is possibly the funkiest track ever released.

And i'm sure many of you will remember TC1993 - Harmony.
    (inspirational and euphoric lyrics)

Sadly, TC1994 wasn't really up to the same standard as the others and failed to chart.

be happy :-)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucidity For This Post:

Citizen No2 (14th September 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,777 times in 956 posts

Hey, maybe we should put on an early 90's prog-house night for us old ravers!

Regards.
    Yes... we should.
    Or... simply meet up at the Beatherder (music festival) in lancashire..
    That is... beat-herder .... (beatherder.co.uk) ... It's the best ever!

There's always a very broad age range at that festival... but always happy party people.
    The age range goes from 20's to 60s... (i'm not kidding) ... plenty of people older then me.. dancing and around and having a good time.
    And lots of people, dancing around, cained or lar-lar'd, and reminiscing about the music of the early 90's.

So what's beatherder like ? See here:

Those of you with a JD'ing history, might be able to land a spot on one of the several decks.
    Beatherder 2016 has been and gone. It was in July.
    But there's always beatherder 2017 to look forward to. :-)

Now if beatherder was held in late Sept or October, that would have been perfect timing.

be happy

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lucidity For This Post:

Alpha141 (1st October 2016), Citizen No2 (14th September 2016), DeDukshyn (14th September 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016)

29. Link to Post #35
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

"Harmony is the key, my Sister and Brother"

Absolutely Lucidity. Those Italian guys have some production history behind them, that was one of my favourite periods. You could actually feel the tension rise and release when Berry was dropped......... All part of the FPi Project stable of dj's and producers.

Love the look of that festival, could be food for thought, am always up for a good party although a couple of shandy's is as hard as I hit it now.

This was a favourite FPi tune of mine as it had quite a sad feel about it........ in a minor key with an uplifting piano break.

Apologies to Fanna as I feel I've hi-jacked your thread a wee bit.

To try and redeem my lost soul.............. I offer this:

When this tune came out, I still have the white-label copy with zero information on it, I thought it'd been beamed down from some future techno-crazy race of Aliens! It sounded like nothing that was around. I reckon in 500yrs time, it'll still sound like the future.

Regards.
    Last edited by Citizen No2; 14th September 2016 at 06:00.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Citizen No2 For This Post:

ElfeMya (17th September 2016)

31. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

I remember hearing the following track for the first time at one of the Best of British Friday nighters at Ministry on way too much acid and billy to be sensible. I can still remember the Box filled with crazies and smoke and the strobes on overtime during that epic breakdown, and then how it went off after. At the time, the sound system was, i think, the most powerful installed rig in the world @ 80K if I'm not mistaken.

Quote .....according to Justin Berkmann, who founded the club 20 years ago, the risk of entering The Box (right) is real.

The sound system has a capacity of 156 decibels – somewhat louder than Concorde taking off. "I told the DJs: 'If you turn it up to 10, not only will you kill everyone in the room, you will also kill yourself'," says Berkmann, who compares the power of the system to that of a Formula 1 motor car. "There were a number of DJs who were terrified, and rightly, because you were playing with a gun basically – it was something that could really hurt people. There were a lot of DJs that were barely going over five because they were just terrified." These days, the club never uses more than 45 per cent of the system's power to maximise sound clarity.....(from here)

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Citizen No2 (14th September 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016), lucidity (17th September 2016), uzn (19th September 2016)

33. Link to Post #37
    Thanks

Casper Pound and Co, Rising High: The Hypnotist - Pioneers of the Universe (another absolute killer) :

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

ElfeMya (17th September 2016), lucidity (17th September 2016)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks

Power Circle - Garden of Peace (The Shakra Mix) :

Note to Fanna: Sorry if I've gone off topic in terms of what you had in mind. It's just the more modern "trance" seems to have sold out in a way that the old stuff didn't. Listening to the track you offered in the OP, it sounds like electronic pop to me, with trancey sounds but not actually trance in terms of putting the listener in a trance, and actually comprising of the tried and tested, some would say default 4 chord song structure - humorously illustrated by Axis of Awesome below:

That doesn't necessarily make it worse, It's just that we would go to trance nights to literally "lose it" and I don't think the producers of what I call modern cheesy trance know how or even want to write music which actually does that. It's like the difference between your 12 year old sister trying to hypnotize you vs. a professional hypnotist doing it. Do you know what I mean?
    Last edited by Akasha; 14th September 2016 at 12:41.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Citizen No2 (14th September 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016), lucidity (17th September 2016)

37. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Lazonby - Sacred Cycles :

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Citizen No2 (14th September 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016), lucidity (17th September 2016), uzn (19th September 2016)

39. Link to Post #40
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

@ Akasha

Sacred Cycles.... Now there's a gem. The etheric sample that runs through the beginning of the tune is Genesis's Fountain of Salmacis, always loved how Lazonby used it.

I remember a girl coming to the box crying, telling me that the Hardfloor tune was scaring her and her friends, they were actually scared, of a tune......... Brilliant!!

I love the moody, dark, brewing tunes:

Drum Club - You Make Me Feel So Good

Hardfloor - Mahogany Roots

Hold on to your innards........ It's Joey Beltram's seminal Energy Flash

POB - The Essence (gotta be the Clanger Mix every time, the bridge to the break, and what a break, does it good style. This lull's people into a flash sense of safety!)

And finally, two tracks from the mighty Warp Records. Probably the greatest label of the era. Always strong, no filler or fluff from this label.

Rhythm Invention - Chronoclasm

Always reminded me of a film this next one.......... Dunno what film, some French film noir. Again, quite a sad feel to it, minor key synth with an uplifting piano. Pure Class, end of the night tune after you've rinsed all of the acid outta them!

THK - France

Regards.
    Last edited by Citizen No2; 15th September 2016 at 14:25.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Citizen No2 For This Post:

Akasha (14th September 2016), Alpha141 (1st October 2016), ElfeMya (17th September 2016), lucidity (17th September 2016), uzn (19th September 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 12 25 LastLast