+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1 7 17 22 LastLast

Thread: Standing Rock, Dakota Pipeline Protests...Who's gonna participate?

1. Link to Post #121
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,586 times in 2,838 posts

Default Re: Standing Rock, Dakota Pipeline Protests...Who's gonna participate?

Birthing the Sacred: Baby Born at Water Protector Camp Bears Hope
    Mary Annette Pember
    10/20/16

For Zintkala Mahpiya Wi Blackowl, Sky Bird Woman, the birth of her baby girl at one of the water protector camps in North Dakota was the ultimate act of resistance.

Baby, as yet unnamed, was born early in the morning in a tipi on October 12 directly into her mother’s arms as their family slept nearby. The family’s tipi is pitched alongside the Cannonball River.
    Baby is healthy and thriving. Blackowl plans to take her to Indian Health Service this week for a well-baby check-up.

“I birthed her by myself,” said Blackowl, of the Sicangu and Ihanktonwan Lakota tribes.
    Although her husband and family were sleeping in the same tipi, the birth was a private event. In the traditional Lakota way, the mother gives birth alone.

“That space in which we give birth is so holy,” she said. “At one time our people realized that.”

This is Blackowl’s sixth child, all of whom were born at home with the help of a midwife. Her other children are ages 3, 6, 8, 11 and 13.  Although Blackowl’s husband Lowicha of the Pit River and Oglala Lakota tribes woke up almost immediately after baby arrived, the little girl is the first child born alone to her mother.
    The decision to have her baby here at the water protector camps where people are opposing the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) was a conscious one.

“Having babies is my act of resistance; our reproductive rights as Native women have been taken away from us in so many ways,” Blackowl said.

“At one time, we were forcibly sterilized; assimilation has come down really hard on us.”
    Blackowl, 35, is a stay-at-home mom. She has not participated in any of the frontline actions but has focused on exposing her children to life in the camp, keeping them close to ceremony and being a part of the school where her children attend classes.

Her journey to give birth here began in August. She and some women friends and children drove from her home in Oregon to support the protector camps. She noticed a lodge in which the men could meet, but there was no space for women.

Her journey to give birth here began in August. She and some women friends and children drove from her home in Oregon to support the protector camps. She noticed a lodge in which the men could meet, but there was no space for women.

“I realized that we needed a place, beyond the Moon lodge or the kitchen, where we could council and hold space for each other where we could have those important conversations about how to decolonize ourselves and discuss our new roles as indigenous women,” she said of herself and other women.
    So she went back home and began to fundraise for a large tipi to take back to the camps that would serve as a women’s meeting place. She returned with her family and the tipi last month and began to prepare a space for her baby to be born. But beyond family and close friends, Blackowl told no one of her birth plans.

“In our culture, we really guard our babies,” Blackowl said. “I didn’t talk about being pregnant until the very end. There has been something really important and special about this pregnancy. I really felt that this was where she wanted to be born.”
    Blackowl had plenty of help, however, in preparing for the birth, and many people available nearby if she needed. One of her sisters is an indigenous midwife and the other is an indigenous doula. Both were close by on the night Baby was born and were with her at the births of her other children. Having her sisters nearby also helped comfort her husband.

She did her own prenatal care, consulting with her sisters, listening to Baby’s heartbeat with a fetal scope and conducting a full blood screen during her pregnancy.
    Blackowl has a longstanding commitment to home birth. She was also born at home; her mother also spent time at the camp and helped prepare for baby. It has been challenging, however, to come up against mainstream attitudes about birth that medicalize the process.

“Even my own people, including the Emergency Medical Technicians here, encouraged me to go to a hospital to have my baby,” she reported.
    The EMTs insisted she keep a walkie-talkie near her at night, but she turned it off.

“I’ll birth where I choose. It’s not for any man to tell me where I can have my baby,” she said. “In the end, though, they respected my wishes. I didn’t need a bunch of people all on edge around me.”

For Blackowl, birth is her center and her strength. Although many people have suggested she become a midwife, she chafes at the notion of midwifery as a paid career.

“We need to restructure our notions that you have to pay to get this knowledge, this is knowledge that belongs to all women,” she said. “Native women have become so disconnected from our bodies and our roles as a result of the mainstream colonial culture that is steeped in patriarchy and toxic male ego; we have a lot of healing work to do before we can teach our children how to be healthy.”
    Part of that healing should include teaching girls about birth and their bodies beyond where to buy tampons.

“We should also teach our sons that it is part of their sacred duty to make it safe for women to do the work they need to do,” she said.
    The most profound part of her baby’s birth has been the fact that she is a girl.
    “I was so sure I was carrying a boy. Her being a girl, however, is of great significance,” Blackowl noted.

Many Native women at camp, however, told her of dreams they had of her birthing a girl.
    Baby will get her name soon, in ceremony. In the meantime, Blackowl is mindful of protecting the new life and spirit, explaining to others that the family needs privacy.
    Baby’s placenta has been buried in the earth, as is the Lakota way.

“She will know where she came from, that she came from very strong women who all stand behind her wherever she goes,” Blackowl said. “I definitely felt those strong spirits near us when she was born.”

Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwor...rs-hope-166152

TRUTH and BALANCE

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), Pam (26th October 2016), peggy englebrake (21st October 2016), RunningDeer (21st October 2016), sandy (22nd October 2016), silverfish (22nd October 2016), Stephanie (23rd October 2016), Sueanne47 (21st October 2016), vmk22 (21st October 2016)

3. Link to Post #122
    Palestinian Territory Avalon Member thunder24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,159 times in 1,845 posts

http://time.com/4538557/shailene-woo...lflow_facebook

Quote I was arrested on Oct. 10, on Indigenous Peoples’ Day, a holiday where America is meant to celebrate the indigenous people of North America.

I was in North Dakota, standing in solidarity, side-by-side with a group of over 200 water protectors, people who are fighting the Dakota Access Pipeline.

People who carry a rainbow of colors on their skin. People who gathered together because they realize that if we don’t begin taking genuine steps to protect our precious resources—our soil, our water, our essential elements—we will not have a healthy or thriving planet to pass on to future generations.
    OBADIAH 1:21
    The Good things in life

"...where ever you go, there you are..."

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), Pam (26th October 2016), peggy englebrake (21st October 2016), RunningDeer (21st October 2016), sandy (22nd October 2016), Stephanie (23rd October 2016), Sueanne47 (21st October 2016), vmk22 (21st October 2016), william r sanford72 (21st October 2016)

5. Link to Post #123
    Thanks

One Nation Camp Fundraiser
    "We are creating a Winter Camp and we need your help relatives. This will be an area for our young people to creatively construct action plans on our social media forefront. We all have many hats at sacred stone. Winter is coming. We need your help purchasing:
    Army Tent
    Generator/s (Solar/Panels)
    Wood Stove/Pipe
    Sleeping Cots
    Wood
    Purchasing Computer Equipment
    We have many things we can add but we know these are the easentials to our camp. We will update as we move along. Thank for anything you may able to offer. We are not asking you to empty your bank account. We as Water Protectors feel we must be here to protect our future generation. Water is Life."
    The Good things in life

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), peggy englebrake (21st October 2016), RunningDeer (21st October 2016), sandy (22nd October 2016), silverfish (22nd October 2016), Stephanie (23rd October 2016), Sueanne47 (21st October 2016), vmk22 (21st October 2016), william r sanford72 (21st October 2016)

7. Link to Post #124
    Thanks

NODAPL Media Update from Myron Dewey

Published on Oct 20, 2016

Myron works for an independent indigenous media group and is looking to educate and expand the knowledge. He is going to be teaching youth and anyone interested at camp how to document and record their struggles so they themselves can be the journalists.

TRUTH and BALANCE

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), peggy englebrake (21st October 2016), RunningDeer (21st October 2016), sandy (22nd October 2016), silverfish (22nd October 2016), Stephanie (23rd October 2016), Sueanne47 (21st October 2016), thunder24 (21st October 2016), vmk22 (21st October 2016)

9. Link to Post #125
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,298 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by william r sanford72 (here)

Myron works for an independent indigenous media group and is looking to educate and expand the knowledge. He is going to be teaching youth and anyone interested at camp how to document and record their struggles so they themselves can be the journalists.

With that plane circling round over the campsite, my mind went to spraying subtle concoctions or shooting invisible zaps.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), peggy englebrake (21st October 2016), sandy (22nd October 2016), Stephanie (23rd October 2016), Sueanne47 (21st October 2016), thunder24 (22nd October 2016), vmk22 (21st October 2016), william r sanford72 (22nd October 2016)

11. Link to Post #126
    Thanks

FINALLY WORKING TOGETHER

" Standing Rock Sioux Tribe members met with Dakota Access and the Morton County Sheriff's Department Thursday to walk the pipeline route and visit specific locations previously identified by former tribal historic preservation officer, Tim Mentz, Sr.

Also involved in the site visit were U.S. Corps of Engineers Omaha District Commander, Col. John Henderson; Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Chairman, David Archambault II; Standing Rock Sioux Tribe Historic Preservation Officer, John Eagle; Chief State Archeologist Paul Picha; along with members of the environmental team from Dakota Access Pipeline and Congressman Kevin Cramer and representatives from Senator John Hoeven and Senator Heidi Heitkamp's offices.

"I think all of us on all sides of the Dakota Access Pipeline issue benefited from walking together and sharing our expertise or experiences and even our expectations, and I hope this can help establish a better understanding as we go forward," says Cramer.

"This is very positive to see that all interested parties could together look at the sites in which they have had differing opinions of the historical significance," says Morton County Sheriff Kyle Kirchmeier. Twenty-two organizations that represent businesses and workers all across the country have sent a letter to Attorney General Loretta Lynch, Interior Secretary Sally Jewell and Army Secretary Eric Fanning asking that the Obama Administration to follow the rule of law and established regulations and allow the completion of the Dakota Access Pipeline. The organizations include Industrial Energy Consumers of America, National Association of Manufacturers and The Association of Union Constructors."

PEACEFUL PRAYER WORKS AND IS WORKING!!!
    The Good things in life

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (22nd October 2016), sandy (22nd October 2016), silverfish (22nd October 2016), Stephanie (23rd October 2016), william r sanford72 (22nd October 2016)

13. Link to Post #127
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 times in 1,310 posts

This is a GREAT start for sure. Sincere Heart Felt Prayer brings PEACE , individually and collectively.

Quote Posted by thunder24 (here)
    FINALLY WORKING TOGETHER

" Standing Rock Sioux Tribe members met with Dakota Access and the Morton County Sheriff's Department Thursday to walk the pipeline route and visit specific locations previously identified by former tribal historic preservation officer, Tim Mentz, Sr.

Also involved in the site visit were U.S. Corps of Engineers Omaha District Commander, Col. John Henderson; Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Chairman, David Archambault II; Standing Rock Sioux Tribe Historic Preservation Officer, John Eagle; Chief State Archeologist Paul Picha; along with members of the environmental team from Dakota Access Pipeline and Congressman Kevin Cramer and representatives from Senator John Hoeven and Senator Heidi Heitkamp's offices.

"I think all of us on all sides of the Dakota Access Pipeline issue benefited from walking together and sharing our expertise or experiences and even our expectations, and I hope this can help establish a better understanding as we go forward," says Cramer.

"This is very positive to see that all interested parties could together look at the sites in which they have had differing opinions of the historical significance," says Morton County Sheriff Kyle Kirchmeier. Twenty-two organizations that represent businesses and workers all across the country have sent a letter to Attorney General Loretta Lynch, Interior Secretary Sally Jewell and Army Secretary Eric Fanning asking that the Obama Administration to follow the rule of law and established regulations and allow the completion of the Dakota Access Pipeline. The organizations include Industrial Energy Consumers of America, National Association of Manufacturers and The Association of Union Constructors."

PEACEFUL PRAYER WORKS AND IS WORKING!!!
    Love and Light Always/Sandy

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (22nd October 2016), Stephanie (23rd October 2016), thunder24 (22nd October 2016), william r sanford72 (22nd October 2016)

15. Link to Post #128
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,658 times in 8,694 posts

Quote The US Government just released this advert about the Dakota Access Pipeline and it's surprisingly honest and informative.

☛ 10 WAYS YOU CAN HELP THE STANDING ROCK SIOUX FIGHT THE DAKOTA ACCESS PIPELINE: https://thejuicemedia.com/nodapl

1. Call North Dakota Governor Jack Dalrymple at 701-328-2200. When leaving a message stating your thoughts about this subject please be professional.
    2. Call the White House at (202) 456-1111 or (202) 456-1414. Tell President Obama to rescind the Army Corps of Engineers’ Permit for the Dakota Access Pipeline.
    3. Donate to support the Standing Rock Sioux at http://standingrock.org/news/standing...
    4. Donate items from the Sacred Stone Camp Supply List: http://sacredstonecamp.org/supply-list/
    5. Contribute to the Sacred Stone Camp Legal Defense Fund: https://fundrazr.com/d19fAf
    6. Contribute to the Sacred Stone Camp gofundme account: https://www.gofundme.com/sacredstonecamp
    7. Contribute to the Red Warrior Camp Legal Fund: https://www.generosity.com/fundraisin...
    8. Sign the petition to the White House to Stop DAPL: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/peti...
    9. Like and support the following Faceboook Pages: @SacredStoneCamp | @StandingRockSioux Tribe​ | @RedWarriorCamp
    10. Share this video to help raise awareness about the #NoDAPL fight on social media
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (22nd October 2016), Stephanie (23rd October 2016), thunder24 (22nd October 2016), william r sanford72 (22nd October 2016)

17. Link to Post #129
    Thanks

Protectors are being arrested, with shotguns pointed at them now...more media being arrested today October 22nd. President Obama and AG Loretta Lynch, this is not justice and is pure bull****. The protectors are being peaceful and praying, unlike St. Louis or Baltimore, or your home of Chicago... Stop this overreach of militarization of police TODAY

NOW BEING peppersprayed

a tweet from Unicorn Riot "Reports are coming in that many #NoDAPL water protectors were maced, 1 badly beaten w/ a tear gas launcher after police surrounded marchers."

https://www.facebook.com/IndigenousL...3559675327255/
    Last edited by thunder24; 22nd October 2016 at 17:27.
    The Good things in life

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), peggy englebrake (24th October 2016), RunningDeer (22nd October 2016), Stephanie (23rd October 2016), william r sanford72 (22nd October 2016)

19. Link to Post #130
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Quote Posted by william r sanford72 (here)

With that plane circling round over the campsite, my mind went to spraying subtle concoctions or shooting invisible zaps.

My laptop was hacked....turned on by itself and passwords bypassed like they didn't exsist..... didn't discover this until about four days into camp when I went to write/journal..and read...laptop was on and about drained of charge...would turn it off...and within seconds it would turn on by it self...felt maybe leaving it alone until I got home was best.Glad I don't and didn't have a cell/smart phone.

William.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (22nd October 2016), silverfish (24th October 2016), Stephanie (23rd October 2016), thunder24 (22nd October 2016)

21. Link to Post #131
    Thanks

"At least two National Lawyers Guild legal observers were arrested by Morton County, ND today also. #NoDAPL"

tweet by unicorn riot

https://www.facebook.com/CampOfTheSa...1886047767092/

https://www.facebook.com/NsitePictur...5508358871904/

these cops are sick.... to bad this isn't baltimore or st. louis then mayb more members here would be interested
    Last edited by thunder24; 22nd October 2016 at 23:57.
    The Good things in life

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), william r sanford72 (23rd October 2016)

23. Link to Post #132
    Language
    English
    Thanks

these cops are sick.... to bad this isn't baltimore or st. louis then mayb more members here would be interested
    I shortened the video to 12 seconds posted originally from FaceBook.

Berserk Police indiscriminately mace peaceful Water Protectors!

Berserk Police indiscriminately mace peaceful Water Protectors!

This blatant attack was unprovoked - there were young children and elders in this crowd for prayer.

#NoDAPL #WaterisLife #MniWiconi

Video by Rob Wilson Photography #WearetheMedia SHARE WIDELY!!

Call to Action! We need you here NOW at Sacred Stone Camp!
    DAPL is trying to finish this pipeline now and they are nearing camp! They have to date destroyed 380 sacred sites!

If you've thought about coming out - now is the time - we need you!
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 23rd October 2016 at 00:31.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), silverfish (24th October 2016), thunder24 (23rd October 2016), william r sanford72 (23rd October 2016)

25. Link to Post #133
    Thanks

yeah its sick , the sheriff said that protector charged the line....looked to me like he totally stood there
    The Good things in life

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016), william r sanford72 (23rd October 2016)

27. Link to Post #134
    Language
    English
    Thanks

yeah its sick , the sheriff said that protector charged the line....looked to me like he totally stood there
    Yes, I downloaded and watched frame by frame and the protector stood in one spot even when the guy came back around. Admittedly, I may be reading into too much, but I couldn't help but wonder if the protector was single out because he was black.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), thunder24 (23rd October 2016), william r sanford72 (23rd October 2016)

29. Link to Post #135
    Thanks

"On far right: new #NoDAPL winter camp where water protectors have declared eminent domain on DAPL property. Far left: police Bearcat" tweet from unicorn riot..

https://www.facebook.com/TheAntiMedi...4829676975404/ watch this

now this action here is definantly going to draw attention and push back more then they have seen before from the fascists

https://www.facebook.com/janene.hamp...1072070662561/
    Last edited by thunder24; 23rd October 2016 at 19:57.
    The Good things in life

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

betoobig (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016), william r sanford72 (24th October 2016)

31. Link to Post #136
    Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/manape.lame...3869019369651/

This video explains how the natives are able to assert eminent domain over the land... From what i gather, the natives that renounced their american citizenship and have blood going back to the treaties are legally or lawfully ( not going into the difference) able to do this...
    The Good things in life

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

betoobig (24th October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016), silverfish (24th October 2016), william r sanford72 (24th October 2016)

33. Link to Post #137
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,993 times in 1,795 posts

There is an info saying the construction has stop, could you confirm?
    Much love
    honoring White Feather: SHIFT HAPPENED

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betoobig For This Post:

RunningDeer (24th October 2016), william r sanford72 (24th October 2016)

35. Link to Post #138
    Thanks

Quote Posted by betoobig (here)
    There is an info saying the construction has stop, could you confirm?
    Much love
    I have not heard that, when was it published and what was the reasons given?

Last edited by thunder24; 24th October 2016 at 14:11.
    The Good things in life

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

betoobig (25th October 2016), RunningDeer (24th October 2016), william r sanford72 (24th October 2016)

37. Link to Post #139
    Thanks

A statement from a water protector that was on the ground this morning.

Published on Oct 23, 2016

TRUTH and BALANCE

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

betoobig (25th October 2016), RunningDeer (24th October 2016), thunder24 (24th October 2016), vmk22 (25th October 2016)

39. Link to Post #140
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Standing Rock: Police Arrest 100+ Water Protectors as Dakota Access Speeds up Pipeline Construction

Published on Oct 24, 2016

http://democracynow.org - We go to North Dakota for an update on the ongoing Standoff at Standing Rock, where thousands of Native Americans representing more than 200 tribes from across the Americas are resisting the construction of the $3.8 billion Dakota Access pipeline, which is slated to carry oil from North Dakota’s Bakken oilfields through South Dakota, Iowa and into Illinois.

On Saturday, over 100 people, who call themselves protectors, not protesters, were arrested at a peaceful march after they were confronted by police in riot gear, carrying assault rifles. They say police pepper-sprayed them and then arrested them en masse, and discharged rubber bullets to shoot down drones the water protectors were using to document the police activity. We are joined by Sacheen Seitcham, media activist with West Coast Women Warriors Media Cooperative who was arrested Saturday along with more than 80 other protesters and journalists at a construction site for the Dakota Access pipeline in North Dakota.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

betoobig (25th October 2016), peggy englebrake (24th October 2016), thunder24 (24th October 2016), vmk22 (25th October 2016), william r sanford72 (24th October 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1 7 17 22 LastLast