+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Is it safe to use a real picture for your avatar / profile pic??

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 times in 371 posts

Default Re: Is it safe to use a real picture for your avatar / profile pic??

When I talk about the gov. on my phone in any kind of conspiracy, I notice the next morning my battery in my phone is completely dead. It is the only time it happens. I suppose the gov. supercomputers flag it for analysis that night and turn my data on, my mike, and camera and listen till my battery dies. lol

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neutronstar For This Post:

ElfeMya (14th September 2016), Fanna (13th September 2016)

3. Link to Post #42
    Canada Avalon Member Spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,254 times in 1,040 posts

I may be out of the norm here, but I don't own an i-phone or a smart-phone or anything fancy...I just own a regular 5 yr old cellphone that makes calls and texts (I don't go online with it). Also, I don't do Facebook (it's the devil!!). However, I do have a profile on a dating site, so I figure I'm already out there...so why not here.

Dave - Toronto

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spellbound For This Post:

ElfeMya (14th September 2016), TargeT (14th September 2016)

5. Link to Post #43
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 times in 371 posts

Quote Posted by Spellbound (here)
    I may be out of the norm here, but I don't own an i-phone or a smart-phone or anything fancy...I just own a regular 5 yr old cellphone that makes calls and texts (I don't go online with it). Also, I don't do Facebook (it's the devil!!). However, I do have a profile on a dating site, so I figure I'm already out there...so why not here.

Dave - Toronto
    I would bet money that they already have an AI system. If you have ever seen the movie "Eagle Eye", I bet that movie is pretty close to the mark. It is a great movie by the way, if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neutronstar For This Post:

ElfeMya (14th September 2016), TargeT (14th September 2016)

7. Link to Post #44
    Thanks

Quote Posted by pugwash84 (here)
    I use mine because I am not bothered if people know who I am, I will say how I feel and what I think on here and to peoples faces lol x
    your like a breath of fresh air xxx ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Let truth through love prevail

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tuku For This Post:

DeDukshyn (15th September 2016), ElfeMya (14th September 2016), Spellbound (14th September 2016)

9. Link to Post #45
    Canada Avalon Member Spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,254 times in 1,040 posts

Quote Posted by Tangri (here)
    Quote Posted by Iloveyou (here)
    Some helpful information regarding security thank you all. I agree that one can't stay anonymous at all once one uses electronic devices.

The reason I removed my picture which I had used for some months was, that I got tired of looking in the mirror every time I logged in. Though I very much appreciate and like the avatars with real pictures and your previous one was way, way better, Spellbound
    Awwwwe shucks....

Dave - Toronto
    I saw you driving on DVP yesterday
    Sorry if my music was a bit loud.

Dave - Toronto

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spellbound For This Post:

DeDukshyn (15th September 2016), ElfeMya (14th September 2016)

11. Link to Post #46
    United States Avalon Member Wide-Eyed's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 times in 274 posts

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Here's my bottom line on this kind of issue.

The really high ups can NOT be stopped from knowing whatever they want to know about you. That's 'gold rule' Z.

What has to be grasped here is subtle but vital.

The methods those high-up actually use to manipulate and control, is less like a direct magic of raw power in your face, as in "I know everything about you so I can do whatever I want with you", and more like " I control the entire psychological ecosystem and I can manipulate others much lower down than me to make you do what I want you to do. I don't even care who you are, I just care about my control over all of you".

In that regard there are reasons to be very careful about how much info about yourself you make cyber public.

err... with that said, as best as I can, right now, I'm far more worried about what stupid system operatives can know about me than I am worried about what the highest crooks on the planet can know about me.

I'm not sure that really made my point clear, but hope so.
    Point check ,Roger that Norm. Now for a long presentation by PI and Cyber Investigator colorful guy SteveRambum a annual speaker at the HOPE - Hackers Of Planet Earth convention every year. Published on Jul 22, 2014
    Saturday, July 19, 2014: 5:00 pm (Manning): Government and private entities are working to shred privacy and warehouse personal, relationship, and communications data. Once unimaginable surveillance technologies are being perfected and implemented. The most intimate details of lives are routinely and unthinkingly surrendered to data-gatherers. Is it still possible to be an anonymous whistleblower? Is it still possible to be anonymous at all? Your physical location and activities for the past ten years are known and have been logged. If you attend a church or synagogue or mosque or a demonstration or visit an abortion clinic or a "known criminal activity location" or meet with a "targeted person" or a disliked political activist, it is routinely recorded. Your finances, sexual orientation, religion, politics, habits, hobbies, and information on your friends and family are gathered, indexed, and analyzed. Facial recognition, camera analytics, license plate readers, and advances in biometrics allow you to be de-anonymized and remotely surveilled 24/7/365 by machines. Forensic linguistics, browser and machine fingerprinting, and backdoors substantially eliminate the possibility of anonymous Internet activity. Thanks to "The Internet of Things," your thermostat and electric meter report when you arrive home and your garbage can reports when you throw out evidence to be collected by the few remaining human agents. "Predictive profiling" even knows what you will do and where you will go in the future, so the data collection bots can be waiting for you. Data collection now begins at birth. And no data gathered will ever be thrown away. And none of the data gathered belongs to you or will be under your control ever again. An internationally-known private investigator and longtime HOPE speaker, Steve will describe in frightening detail how the last shreds of everyone's anonymity are being ripped away. Real world examples will be used. Surprises can be expected.

Speakers: Steve Rambam [Steve Rambam is the founder and CEO of Pallorium, Inc. (http://www.pallorium.com), a licensed investigative agency with offices and affiliates worldwide. He has coordinated investigations in more than 50 countries and in nearly every U.S. state and Canadian province. Steve has conducted or coordinated numerous foreign insurance-related investigations, including hundreds of homicide and "death claim" investigations, and a significant number of these cases have resulted in confessions, arrests, and prosecutions. He is perhaps best publicly known for his pro bono activities, which have included the investigation of nearly 200 Nazi collaborators and war criminals in the USA, Canada, Europe, and Australia. He has also coordinated efforts to expose terrorist groups' fundraising activities in the United States and has conducted investigations which resulted in the tightening of airport security in eight U.S. cities. Steve is currently co-authoring a non-fiction book, Stealing Your Own Identity, and he is the subject of a second non-fiction book, Rambam, P.I.]
    Category
    Science & Technology

Good luck Carmody Muwah ha hah LOL

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wide-Eyed For This Post:

Atlas (14th September 2016), ElfeMya (14th September 2016)

13. Link to Post #47
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sam Hunter (here)
    For the last few years I've used real pictures of myself for my avatar and for a profile pic. Last night, I forwarded a thread link to some friends and they commented back to me asking why I was using a real life picture....saying it was unsafe to do so. Upon that response, I then changed my avatar to an AC/DC album cover from 1981. I see that some folks here at Avalon (including Bill) use real pics for their avatars while others do not. My question therefore, is it safe to use a real life picture of oneself for one's avatar (or profile) in an online forum?? Or is that a dangerous thing to do (tempting fate). What are the dangers here?? Identity theft?? What is the difference between posting a real picture here vs say an online dating site?? Admittedly, I'm not very tech savvy, but I've always wondered about this.

Dave - Toronto
    What can happen?
    Chicks Mannnn! LOL

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wide-Eyed For This Post:

ElfeMya (14th September 2016)

15. Link to Post #48
    Argentina Avalon Member Hazelfern's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,496 times in 348 posts

Why not? I'll jump right in.

Paperface makes me think of Paperlate

How about flat Nonin
    Last edited by Hazelfern; 14th September 2016 at 02:33.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hazelfern For This Post:

17. Link to Post #49
    Thanks

She looks beautiful

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Wide-Eyed For This Post:

19. Link to Post #50
    Argentina Avalon Member Hazelfern's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,496 times in 348 posts

[IMG][/IMG]

I need more lessons from Paula (you know)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hazelfern For This Post:

DeDukshyn (15th September 2016)

21. Link to Post #51
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

Yeah, I agree with everyone about not wanting to make it easy for the bastards; though ultimately any semblance of privacy is a forlorn hope.

That said, one of my issues with a "real" image is that pictures of my face seem to lack consistency - I never look the same way twice. I'm not a shape-shifter or anything, but I can't seem to find a "representational" pic that seems true.

That, and the fact that the screech owl is one of my spirit animals (the other is a white tiger).

Cheers,

B.
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

naochan (17th September 2016), TargeT (15th September 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3