+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dolphins can talk!

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,264 times in 1,414 posts

Default Dolphins can talk!

Dolphins are recorded talking

The following is an article on science finally recognizing the incredible intelligence of our finned friends, the dolphins. My family had a doggy, which passed away almost two years ago, and it was experienced as losing a family member, which was what she was. She was very perceptive, understood most of what was said to her and always fearlessly defended our family. Shortly after her passing, I became a vegetarian for good, probably related to not wanting to eat our animal friends, whom I believe are badly misunderstood by many people.

I am glad that mainstream science is finally beginning to comprehend the incredible creatures we have in this world as being intelligent and self conscious.

Article summary:

Two dolphins have been recorded having a conversation for the first time after scientists developed an underwater microphone which could distinguish the animals' different "voices".

Researchers have known for decades that the mammals had an advanced form of communication, using distinctive clicks and whistles to show they are excited, happy, stressed or separated from the group.

But scientists have now shown that dolphins alter the volume and frequency of pulsed clicks to form individual "words" which they string together into sentences in much the same way that humans speak.

Researchers at the Karadag Nature Reserve, in Feodosia, Russia, recorded two Black Sea bottlenose dolphins, called Yasha and Yana, talking to each other in a pool. They found that each dolphin would listen to a sentence of pulses without interruption, before replying.

Lead researcher Dr Vyacheslav Ryabov, said: “Essentially, this exchange resembles a conversation between two people.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...or-first-time/

2. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Atlas (11th September 2016), BMJ (13th September 2016), Carmody (11th September 2016), Cidersomerset (12th September 2016), Conaire (11th September 2016), Elisheva (12th September 2016), Ewan (12th September 2016), Fairy Friend (12th September 2016), Holly Lindin (12th September 2016), Inversion (11th September 2016), joeecho (12th September 2016), kirolak (12th September 2016), Lefty Dave (12th September 2016), lucidity (11th September 2016), Matt P (12th September 2016), mojo (11th September 2016), Nasu (15th September 2016), onawah (12th September 2016), RedSun88 (11th September 2016), Rich (11th September 2016), Richard S. (12th September 2016), Sierra (14th September 2016), Sir Eltor (12th September 2016), StandingWave (14th September 2016), Stephanie (12th September 2016), Sunny-side-up (12th September 2016), toppy (12th September 2016), Tyy1907 (11th September 2016), william r sanford72 (11th September 2016), Wind (11th September 2016), Yetti (11th September 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,778 times in 956 posts

Default Re: Dolphins can talk!

So they were taking turns 'speaking'... and they listened to each other... without interrupting.
    Are they male dolphins ? ;-)

I guess normally you have pods of whales and dolphins with N number of individuals
    so i guess it's like listening to a conversation at party... lots of speakers, speaking
    over each other. If you studied just 2 killer whales (for example) the exchange might
    seem a whole lot clearer.

With humans, what you say, is only a fraction of the information that's conveyed.
    It's how you say it, what tone is used and ... in what context... and how much irony or flippancy...etc

I'm betting dolphin/whale communication is just as rich and "messy" as human communication is.

Fascinating stuff... We need a Jane Goodall of the dolphin/whale world to come and open our eyes (and ears)

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to lucidity For This Post:

Atlas (11th September 2016), Cidersomerset (12th September 2016), Fairy Friend (12th September 2016), joeecho (12th September 2016), Justplain (11th September 2016), kirolak (12th September 2016), Matt P (12th September 2016), Nasu (15th September 2016), onawah (12th September 2016), Rich (11th September 2016), Stephanie (12th September 2016), Sunny-side-up (12th September 2016), william r sanford72 (11th September 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

John C. Lilly said this in his interviews about dolphins;

Quote AS: Have you ever managed to learn enough of their language to communicate with them on their level?

JOHN: No, because they're too fast and too high frequency. They're ten times as fast as we are and ten times the frequency. So if you record it on tape and then slow it down ten times you can get an idea. When they're working on human speech, at first they're too fast for you, and then they suddenly realize it so they slow down.
    Quote AS: What did your research about the brain size of dolphins reveal?

J: I found Tursisops Trancatis, the Atlantic bottlenose, has a brain 40% larger than ours. But the Orca or killer whale, the largest of the dolphins is three times the size of ours.

AS: What is that extra brain matter for?

J: The larger the brain the gentler they are.

AS: What else did you find out about the brain function of dolphins?

J: We put electrodes in dolphins and found they have positive and negative re-enforcing systems. We did the same thing with monkeys, but in monkeys we found they would not stimulate the positive re–enforcement vocally, but the dolphins would do this instantly.

AS: What does that demonstrate?

J: That dolphins have voluntary control of their voice.

K: They also have separate voluntary functioning control over the left and right side of their brains.

J: We had six graduate students in Miami, who watched dolphins 24 hours a day for 6 days, in as tank. They observed that they closed one eye for a few minutes and then the other eye. So they sleep with half their brain at a time.

K: Because they are conscious breathers. There is part that is always has to be awake to breathe.

J: I devised an anesthesia machine so we can do surgery on them. They only have voluntary respiration. They can’t breathe if they are unconscious. So a respiratory mechanism was needed to keep them going.

AS: How many hours a day do they sleep?

J: Not very many, four or five

AS: Besides being larger, how do dolphin brains differ from human ones.

J: They have a special telemic nucleus. It is a circulatory nucleus that controls breathing through the neo-cortex.

AS: How do dolphins make their sounds?

J: There are 4 sound sources. Dolphins have lost their sense of smell, but they use their nasal cavity to blow air back and forth to make sounds..

AS: Is there a difference in sound between the two?

J: Whales have more frequencies. The Blue whale has frequencies down where the elephant ; 10 cycles per second. Human hearing stops at 20 cycles per second.

AS: Do dolphins have songs like whales.

J: Probably. They love music. In my St. Thomas research lab we had a switch for music connected to a bungee cord. And Peter, the dolphin would have to grab a ball on the end of it and swum in order to close the circuit and start the music. The first day we had it up, he swam for 8 hours listening to music.

K: After Raphael and I released our album, Angels of the Deep and played it for the first time in the ocean with underwater speakers, we were surrounded by whales coming to check us out.

AS: Do you feel love from the dolphins when you swim with them?

K: I feel love and I also feel they zap me.

J: Yes, right.

AS: What do you mean zap you?

K: Well when they send out their sonar, you can feel that on your spine, like prickling energy. I can’t explain it more scientifically. The feeling is great.

AS: Do you feel better or worse afterwards?

K: I have never felt bad after swimming with dolphins. I always feel up lifted, my spirit soars and I fee l very grateful for having had the experience.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

6. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Atlas (11th September 2016), Cidersomerset (12th September 2016), Ewan (12th September 2016), Fairy Friend (12th September 2016), Foxie Loxie (12th September 2016), Holly Lindin (12th September 2016), joeecho (12th September 2016), Justplain (11th September 2016), kirolak (12th September 2016), Matt P (12th September 2016), Nasu (15th September 2016), onawah (12th September 2016), Orph (12th September 2016), penn (13th September 2016), Rich (11th September 2016), Sierra (14th September 2016), Sir Eltor (12th September 2016), Stephanie (12th September 2016), Tyy1907 (12th September 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,230 times in 3,216 posts

Dolphins Yasha and Yana Playing in Pool (Video) Дельфины Яша и Яна

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Cidersomerset (12th September 2016), Ewan (12th September 2016), Fairy Friend (12th September 2016), Foxie Loxie (12th September 2016), joeecho (12th September 2016), Justplain (11th September 2016), Nasu (15th September 2016), onawah (12th September 2016), Rich (11th September 2016), Sir Eltor (12th September 2016), Stephanie (12th September 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    Moderator/Guide

Thanks
    Thanked 7,472 times in 783 posts

Attachment 34187

"Certain sounds made by dolphins have long been suspected to represent language but the complexity of the sounds has made their analysis difficult. Previous techniques, using the spectrograph, display cetacean (dolphins, whales and porpoises) sounds only as graphs of frequency and amplitude. The CymaScope captures actual sound vibrations imprinted in the dolphin’s natural environment—water, revealing the intricate visual details of dolphin sounds for the first time.

Within the field of cetacean research, theory states that dolphins have evolved the ability to translate dimensional information from their echolocation sonic beam. The CymaScope has the ability to visualize dimensional structure within sound. CymaGlyph patterns may resemble what the creatures perceive from their own returning sound beams and from the sound beams of other dolphins.

Reid said that the technique has similarities to deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphs. "Jean-Francois Champollion and Thomas Young used the Rosetta Stone to discover key elements of the primer that allowed the Egyptian language to be deciphered. The CymaGlyphs produced on the CymaScope can be likened to the hieroglyphs of the Rosetta Stone. Now that dolphin chirps, click-trains and whistles can be converted into CymaGlyphs, we have an important tool for deciphering their meaning."

Kassewitz, of the Florida-based dolphin communication research project SpeakDolphin.com said, “There is strong evidence that dolphins are able to ‘see’ with sound, much like humans use ultrasound to see an unborn child in the mother’s womb. The CymaScope provides our first glimpse into what the dolphins might be ‘seeing’ with their sounds.”

The team has recognized that sound does not travel in waves, as is popularly believed, but in expanding holographic bubbles and beams. The holographic aspect stems from the physics theory that even a single molecule of air or water carries all the information that describes the qualities and intensity of a given sound. At frequencies audible to humans (20 Hertz to 20,000 Hertz) the sound-bubble form dominates; above 20,000 Hertz the shape of sound becomes increasingly beam shaped, similar to a lighthouse beam in appearance.

Reid explained their novel sound imaging technique: “Whenever sound bubbles or beams interact with a membrane, the sound vibrations imprint onto its surface and form a CymaGlyph, a repeatable pattern of energy. The CymaScope employs the surface tension of water as a membrane because water reacts quickly and is able to reveal intricate architectures within the sound form. These fine details can be captured on camera.”

Kassewitz has planned a series of experiments to record the sounds of dolphins targeting a range of objects. Speaking from Key Largo, Florida, he said, “Dolphins are able to emit complex sounds far above the human range of hearing. Recent advances in high frequency recording techniques have made it possible for us to capture more detail in dolphin sounds than ever before. By recording dolphins as they echolocate on various objects, and also as they communicate with other dolphins about those objects, we will build a library of dolphin sounds, verifying that the same sound is always repeated for the same object. The CymaScope will be used to image the sounds so that each CymaGlyph will represent a dolphin ‘picture word’. Our ultimate aim is to speak to dolphins with a basic vocabulary of dolphin sounds and to understand their responses. This is uncharted territory but it looks very promising.” "
    Last edited by Stephanie; 12th September 2016 at 15:54.

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Post:

Atlas (12th September 2016), Cidersomerset (12th September 2016), Fairy Friend (14th September 2016), Foxie Loxie (12th September 2016), joeecho (12th September 2016), Justplain (12th September 2016), Nasu (15th September 2016), Olaf (14th September 2016), onawah (12th September 2016), penn (13th September 2016), Sierra (14th September 2016), Wind (13th September 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,648 times in 18,693 posts

Published on 11 Sep 2016

Researchers in Russia have recorded two Black Sea bottlenose dolphins talking to
    each other in a pool. In their study, they found that each dolphin would listen to a
    sentence of pulses without interruption, before replying. Researchers say the two
    dolphins, Yasha and Yana, could create sentences of up to five “words.” However,
    they do not yet understand the content. Researchers say its clear now that Dolphins
    speak their own language and it is time to start studying how to communicate directly with them.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/20...

====================================================

Teaching a dolphin to speak English - The Girl Who Talked to Dolphins: Preview - BBC Four

Published on 8 May 2014

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour Margaret Howe Lovatt describes the tricks she
    employed to teach a dolphin to speak English. Showing 17th June 2014, on BBC Four.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Atlas (12th September 2016), Fairy Friend (14th September 2016), Foxie Loxie (12th September 2016), joeecho (12th September 2016), Justplain (12th September 2016), lucidity (14th September 2016), Nasu (15th September 2016), Sierra (14th September 2016), Stephanie (12th September 2016)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,778 times in 956 posts

Here's are my suggestions for advancing the understanding
    of dolphin communication.

Involve a diverse range of people... diverse in the sense of
    their unique ways of thinking... and unique ways of interpreting
    the world.

(1) Maybe.... what might be a good idea, is to have people with
    high functioning autism or Asperger's Syndrome ... esp. savants.
    to spend time with them (dolphins) ...
    Some language savants can acquire languages with bewildering speed...
    Perhaps they could decipher dolphin language with greater ease
    than you or I could.

or...

(2) Get normal people involved with dolphins,
    people are known for being creative and for
    "thinking out of the box".... people like comedians, musicians, inventors
    and eccentrics ... I think maybe a few members of this website
    might qualify.. ;-)

or....

you'll like this one....

(3) draw up a list of 5 of the most accurate psychics based on
    some historical accuracy criteria... Phil Jordon, for example.
    Plus 4 more of his calibre.
    Encourage these people to spend time with the dolphin(s)
    ... sufficient to develop a real emotional bond.

If you involve these diverse groups of people in the
    study of dolphin communication, you'll get answers you're not expecting,
    and perhaps answers you couldn't have possibly predicted.
    Some of those answers could be right.

be happy

lucidity

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lucidity For This Post:

Atlas (14th September 2016), Fairy Friend (14th September 2016), Justplain (14th September 2016), Nasu (15th September 2016), Olaf (14th September 2016), Stephanie (14th September 2016), Wind (14th September 2016)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,264 times in 1,414 posts

Hi Lucidity, your suggestions have some merit. I remember reading somewhere that cetaceans had ambassadors in Altantis, indicating a high level of dolphin/whale consciousness was recognized by humans then. What a diverse pool of consciousness to be able to draw on.

On average, we tend to think that technology is a measure of intelligence for a society, yet as we get to understand and communicate more with dolphins, we may have our eyes opened to the depth of their experience. I wonder if they carry the same type of souls as we do?

I would think that once we get a basic communication established with dolphins, such as learning how to pose questions and train them to give simple answers, that, with computers, sound synthesizers, etc., a dolphin language and lexicon could be established so that communications on a deeper semantic level could be taken in a short period of time.

I am glad that this research is internationally based to help ensure that it doesnt get 'classified'.
    Last edited by Justplain; 14th September 2016 at 16:01.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Atlas (14th September 2016), Fairy Friend (14th September 2016), Nasu (15th September 2016), Stephanie (14th September 2016)

17. Link to Post #9
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,230 times in 3,216 posts

How developed is the brain of this creature?

I met a dolphin once, it was curious at least, which is not so bad for a fish.
    Last edited by Atlas; 14th September 2016 at 02:49.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Fairy Friend (14th September 2016), Justplain (14th September 2016), Nasu (15th September 2016), Stephanie (14th September 2016)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Sierra passed in April 2021.
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,462 times in 5,424 posts

Quote Posted by Atlas (here)
    How developed is the brain of this creature?
    Well I've heard, the more convolutions/folds, the more intelligent one is, and if the same is true for Dolphins, they certainly blow us out of the water, lol.

I loved this:
    Quote The larger the brain the gentler they are.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sierra For This Post:

Atlas (14th September 2016), Fairy Friend (14th September 2016), Justplain (14th September 2016), Nasu (15th September 2016), Stephanie (14th September 2016), ThePythonicCow (14th September 2016), Wind (14th September 2016)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,620 times in 20,704 posts

I wish someone would tell dolphins to stop going to the cove in Japan where they get slaughtered and captured every year, and to spread the word and to post sentinels along the migratory routes to the cover so they would stop going there!
    Each breath a gift...

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Atlas (14th September 2016), Fairy Friend (14th September 2016), Justplain (14th September 2016), Nasu (15th September 2016), Sierra (14th September 2016), Stephanie (14th September 2016), Wind (14th September 2016)

+ Reply to Thread